• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Xlink announces Nintendo DS Tunneling, GT4 Support and More..

Hi,

Few items of news for today. Firstly, I've been discussing things with our mod crew, and it seems like we're gonna be supporting the new Nintendo DS handheld console on Kai. The DS has a built in 802.11b network adapter, which means that people with a wireless-enabled router will be able to play their DS games over Kai. We still don't have full details regarding Nintys own online plans for this console, but I would expect the usual chunk of games with 'LAN but no online' - so we'll just see how it all pans out.

Secondly, Gran Tourismo 4 appears to be confirmed as 'No Online Mode' - but LAN seems almost certain to be in there. This means, as you've probably guessed, that when the game hits the shelves, it's highly likely that the only place you can play it online is here on Kai. We don't know this as a 100% fact yet, but as soon as we do, we're gonna create some custom content for this game (ladders, seasons, etc) - I think it could really help the PS2 side of Kai to get going.

A bit more info about the Linux stuff - you're probably better asking ^S^ directly, but from what I can gather, things are progressing nicely. The new Kai Advanced Orbital Servers are complete, and are being tested with the kind help of SS and XR8D. These orbs, along with a lovely new client update will be with you as soon as I'm happy it's all working well.

Lastly, the signup for the upcoming Kai vs. XBC clan season is nearly ready - you will be able to signup at the weekend, all things being equal.

Posted by TheDaddy on Monday 27 September, 2004
Source

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
NDS tunneling has me happy. Although I'll be pissed if Nintendo still fucks around with the online gaming issue

neptunes

Warp-Pi(pwned)e

GT4 should be cool, if they tweaked lan play (latency) so that it's decent enough to be played over the net.

arter_2

you know they dont even know yet wehter not nintendo will have thier own ds online network so why put the time in and jump the gun soo fast.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
arter_2 said:
you know they dont even know yet wehter not nintendo will have thier own ds online network so why put the time in and jump the gun soo fast.

Oh come on, this is Nintendo we're talking about here :p

Tenguman

Uh this announcment means nothing. They are basically saying "NDS will support wireless linkup, so yeah we can make it work with tunneling"

It's not like they have anything to do with Nintendo or the NDS.

olimario

Banned
Tenguman said:
Uh this announcment means nothing. They are basically saying "NDS will support wireless linkup, so yeah we can make it work with tunneling"

I didn't assume they did, but it's wonderful to hear that I'll be able to play the DS with all of my online buds.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Bamn! So we've got two ways to connect online (via LAN) for the NDS and the thing isn't even out yet.

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen [/Palpatine]

:)

aoi tsuki

Tenguman said:

Exactly.
We still don't have full details regarding Nintys own online plans for this console, but I would expect the usual chunk of games with 'LAN but no online' - so we'll just see how it all pans out.

Secondly, Gran Tourismo 4 appears to be confirmed as 'No Online Mode' - but LAN seems almost certain to be in there. This means, as you've probably guessed, that when the game hits the shelves, it's highly likely that the only place you can play it online is here on Kai. We don't know this as a 100% fact yet, but as soon as we do, we're gonna create some custom content for this game (ladders, seasons, etc) - I think it could really help the PS2 side of Kai to get going.
i expected Warp Pipe et al to try their hands at DS online play, seeing as how WiFi is essentially the same as a wired connection, minus the wires. i'm surprised they didn't mention PSP since it's got WiFi as well.

Top Bottom