• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

I'm going to bed so I don't bash my head into the keyboard.

Just spent almost 3 hours trying to get Bully: Scholarship Edition (Steam) to work with my Dualshock 4 and xbox360ce (plus various other versions of this dinput->xinput emu).

Nothing. No matter what I do, no matter how many forums I scour, the results are nil. Damnit, Bully.

Azulsky

Did you install VMWare tools? If not, I suggest you do, so you gain more resolutions.

Yes.

So far I can get 1680x1050 on the Vmware display but it won't let me set the Guest resolution to 1280x1024 without dropping the monitor aspect ratio to 4:3

I think my problem is the VGA cable doesn't allow me to use the finer controls on the host gpu. I need to grab the hdmi to dvi cable and bring that on site before i spend too much more time playing with settings

params7

Banned
Anyone able to help me with this strange issue i have, where when trying to view Imgur images, sometimes they load pretty quickly, sometimes they load about half way, stop, and i have to wait about 5 minutes for the rest to load, or i have to sometimes wait 5/10 minutes before it even attempts to load it up.

I did a bit of googling, and people suggest it could be something to do with DNS. Ive never really delved into networking stuff, but i tried some suggestions like using google's public DNS IP's, but doesnt seem to have made a difference.

I cant seem to find anyway to use other DNS servers either on my router (BT Home Hub), so im a loss for what to do. Anybody have any ideas ?

Really don't see how it could be a dns issue. Dns is just used to resolve website names. As long as that website loads and the content starts downloading, dns has done its work.

Does the slow loading of images only happen with imgur? I'm thinking its just bad connection on your end. Try loading it on another browser.

potam

Banned
Yes.

So far I can get 1680x1050 on the Vmware display but it won't let me set the Guest resolution to 1280x1024 without dropping the monitor aspect ratio to 4:3

I think my problem is the VGA cable doesn't allow me to use the finer controls on the host gpu. I need to grab the hdmi to dvi cable and bring that on site before i spend too much more time playing with settings

Are you saying you want the 1280x1024 image stretched across the 1680x1050 display?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Offering up 5 dollar amazon gift card to anyone that fixes this.

When I restart my computer, it works fine for a few minutes until I open up a program or whatever. This shit is aggravating. Especially ridiculous when trying to copy/paste things or select very small links...
Are you using any apps at all that modify mouse, keyboard or gamepad input behavior, even a little bit?

Azulsky

Are you saying you want the 1280x1024 image stretched across the 1680x1050 display?

Lemme try to explain better I typed the original hastily

The Guest OS needs to be 1280x1024

The VMware virtual display should be 1:1 1680x1050 with the physical monitor

The physical monitor is 1080p native; so i am expecting vertical black bars with a stretched image inside of it.

So I am scaling a 4:3 ar to 16:10 being shown without scaling on a 16:9 ar monitor.

potam

Banned
For the VM not scaling to 1080, go to View -> Autosize -> Center Guest

Still messing around to try to figure out how to stretch the screen inside XP

Azulsky

What is killing me is that the stretch option should force fit the VM if I hard spec the resolution in the host catalyst driver

But it dont. Only fills to height

Really don't see how it could be a dns issue. Dns is just used to resolve website names. As long as that website loads and the content starts downloading, dns has done its work.

Does the slow loading of images only happen with imgur? I'm thinking its just bad connection on your end. Try loading it on another browser.

Yeah only with Imgur. Happens on every device on my home network, with various different browsers. So its deffinately something to do with my router/how its setup, but i just cant figure out what. Could just be because its a crappy BT Home Hub thing :/

Anyone ever see anything like this?

I bought an ASUS RT-N65U router and nothing will connect over 2.4GHz. 5 GHz devices(Nexus4, iPad mini and iPhone5) connect no problem and performance is good.

But nothing will connect to the 2.4GHz SSID, I tried n/g/b and nothing. WPA2, WPA, even set it as wide open with no security and still nothing.

It's broadcasting since I can see the SSID and I used inSSIDer to move it to channel 11 to minimize interference from all the other wireless networks in my area. Even had a wireless device right next to the router and nada.

Weird thing is it used to work when I was first got it before I upgraded the firmware and moved it to the ground floor from the basement for better coverage. But I've downgraded and now got custom firmware on it and still nothing.

I'm guessing it's defective so I should exchange but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something stupid.

SUCCESS! After coming back and spending like 10 minutes on a few forums I got my Dualshock 4 to work in Bully: Scholarship Edition.

Not only that, but I've abandoned the previous emulators and am using an xinput wrapper that supports rumble, touchpad, battery life, and makes my DS4 appear as a 360 pad.

All without having to put the file into the game root and all that :D

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

params7

Banned
Yeah only with Imgur. Happens on every device on my home network, with various different browsers. So its deffinately something to do with my router/how its setup, but i just cant figure out what. Could just be because its a crappy BT Home Hub thing :/

very odd issue, but whatever it is its related to your line.

I say either try switching the router, the hub with a switch and see if that helps. If not there's many imgur alternatives..lol.

checkdisk problem: so chkdsk runs fine and then it says "please wait while your computer restarts" but it never does. I let it sit there for 30 minutes and it didn't restart. so I restarted manually and the next time it runs again and does the same thing. I skipped chkdsk this time and it runs fine. Is there a danger to just skipping it all the time? I have windows 7 and it's an SSD.

decaf

Hello all. Hope you can help!

My grandmother loves the old Windows 95 classic Jezzball (from the Microsoft Entertainment pack). However, she's on Windows 7 now and I can't seem to get it to work at all. I've tried running it in each and every compatibility mode, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas on an interpreter I can run it through to get it working?

Cheers!

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Hello fellow Gafiens, my PC seems to be a bit upset recently, I moved out a few months ago to place with no internets but (I'm 60% sure) Microsoft downloaded an update named "Cumalative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems before leaving on this new venture.

On returning to a place with internet it now has decided to try and install said update but each time it tries to install the update it fails (But it does not indicate that, I'm making the assumption it does) and after powering up the computer each time it fails to launch windows and I have to go into Startup repair and go back to before it installed the update, I have tried to stop it updating but it still does this thing, any suggestions?

EDIT:
After startup repair does it's thing the Root cause found is: Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem

decaf

Hello fellow Gafiens, my PC seems to be a bit upset recently, I moved out a few months ago to place with no internets but (I'm 60% sure) Microsoft downloaded an update named "Cumalative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems before leaving on this new venture.

On returning to a place with internet it now has decided to try and install said update but each time it tries to install the update it fails (But it does not indicate that, I'm making the assumption it does) and after powering up the computer each time it fails to launch windows and I have to go into Startup repair and go back to before it installed the update, I have tried to stop it updating but it still does this thing, any suggestions?

EDIT:
After startup repair does it's thing the Root cause found is: Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem

Do you use IE? If not, uninstall it.

I think Steam might use IE for browsing though.

pax217

All right, GAF. Here's one for you. I'd say my computer expertise is certainly "above average", but I've had ZERO luck fixing this one...

Issue:
I didn't use my computer for about 36 hours (rare) and coming back to it I find that my broadband (Comast) runs at about 50mbps for approximately 10 minutes before dropping to speeds of about 10kbps. A power cycle on the modem (SB6121) fixes this, but only for 10 minutes before it happens again. I have no clue if it's the computer, the router (Linksys/Cisco E900), or the modem... BUT, it all works just fine if the computer runs straight through into the modem, avoiding the router. OS is Windows 7, and the troubleshooter would sometimes produce a message that the "DHCP is disabled" and then enables it for me. This solves the problem for 10 mins. My IP and DNS are set to automatic on all my connected devices, so DHCP should probably be enabled for that to happen.

What I've already tried:
  • Power cycling modem
  • Modem "hard reset" (unplug modem entirely for 30 min)
  • Power cycling router
  • Router "hard reset" (30/30/30, to factory settings)
  • Uninstalling, re-installing Ethernet drivers
  • Flashing router .bin to both newest Linksys and Tomato (right now on default firmware)
  • Running W7 networking troubleshoots

Does anyone have any clue what's going on, and how I can fix this? I'd assume it has something to do with the DHCP-- but all the settings have been reverted to default (which I never changed to begin with) and it's still not working.

Thanks a million.

gerg

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you would know how best to resolve an issue that I think I have with my router. Basically, it appears that for whatever reason I imgur.com loads incredibly slowly for me at home, across my laptop, the home computer, and my phone (when connected via wi-fi). I've tried turning the router on and off several times (to no avail), clearing my DNS cache, and even running a tracert to see if there was an issue there. (However, the tracert completed successfully.)

I can access imgur.com successfully on my phone (when connected via 3G/4G), so I can only think that this is an issue with the router. Would resetting the router be likely to solve this issue?

This isn't the biggest issue, of course, but it makes browsing GAF a pain. - _ -

microtubule

Hi GAF, MBP early 2008 just starting developing an odd issue with the display:

11499631564_1ec5c9c39a.jpg

Anyone encountered the same issue? for the first couple of days it would look like the above photo but go back to normal. Now it just stays like this and there is no noticeable decrease in performance or anything like if it was a GPU issue.

Thanks!

Uff duh

Banned
So I'm having this problem cant figure it out. mouse look in games is shaky when i look around but my fps doesn't drop at all. Super annoying. I've looked at so many forums trying to figure this out but to no avail. Any body have a fix for this or any ideas?
I've got win 8.1, Logitech g300 mouse, amd fx 8320. 16g ram 1866, 780 ti, and 750w power supply. Oh and im using my 40in Sony Xbr for my monitor.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Are you using any apps at all that modify mouse, keyboard or gamepad input behavior, even a little bit?

None whatsoever. This makes no damn sense and I wish I could remember how I fixed it before. It almost seems like, to me, that I used some sort of generic trackpad driver before, but I can't see how that would be possible or likely.

accx

It sounds router/modem related but i would call your ISP and let them do some testing and see if there's not an issue with them. They should be able to access your modem directly and possibly be able to figure it out.

Oh, reading it again i see you already tried connecting directly to your modem and it works fine. The router is most likely faulty. If you can, see if anyone else have a router you can borrow just to see if that modem -> router configuration works.

Might be related to open connections as well if you're running torrents.
Maybe flushing the dns would help?
http://forums.eukhost.com/f15/how-clear-flush-dns-cache-windows-linux-mac-machines-6337/#.UrrUFFtDt8E

Dark Rider

Hello TechGAF :)

I have a wireless network and I set it to be WPA2 Personal and wireless-n only, is this my best security option?
Also would changing the network mode to mixed instead of wireless-n only make my network less secure? I'm asking this because I have some old devices that does not work with wireless-n only

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Tamanon

Banned
Hello TechGAF :)

I have a wireless network and I set it to be WPA2 Personal and wireless-n only, is this my best security option?
Also would changing the network mode to mixed instead of wireless-n only make my network less secure? I'm asking this because I have some old devices that does not work with wireless-n only

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Mixed won't compromise your security at all. It's all about the WPA2. It might impact performance a bit, but not in any noticeable way on a home network.

Dark Rider

Mixed won't compromise your security at all. It's all about the WPA2. It might impact performance a bit, but not in any noticeable way on a home network.

so WPA2 Personal is my best option and mixed network mode will not do much of an impact? I was contemplating this for a while because my old devices doesn't work with wireless-n only and I feared that I will be downgrading my network security by switching it to mixed mode. Thank you :)

decaf

Any chance of a Christmas miracle for my grandmother, chaps?

My grandmother loves the old Windows 95 classic Jezzball (from the Microsoft Entertainment pack). However, she's on Windows 7 now and I can't seem to get it to work at all. I've tried running it in each and every compatibility mode, but nothing seems to work.

Cheers!

SuperSah

Banned
Mac help please.

Had to send off my Mac for a repair THREE times in two months. I started hearing a buzzing sound emitting from it, sent it in and returned with the same sound and thought maybe it's normal. Then one day, it just died and didn't boot up. Sent it in, and got it back and it died AGAIN in two days.

They keep replacing the PSU, which is clearly NOT the issue. Help?!

I thought I'd ask here before I started up an entire thread on it: does anyone here have experience with all-in-one PCs? I was thinking about getting one for both short and long-term purposes. My current situation has me with an old as fuck Gateway computer that originally ran Vista and it's getting to the point where it's not just too old to handle music production stuff, but even some everyday programs like Photoshop. Considering I need something kinda powerful (music reasons) but not graphical fidelity because I don't really do PC games, I was looking at getting a 23 or 24" all-in-one PC and getting either 16 or 32 gigs of RAM. On top of that, while I'm not exactly strapped for cash, it also seems like a way safer alternative to get one of these things for use at the house as opposed to spending $2000-3000 on a new high-end laptop.

We'd still keep the old Gateway and move it into a study or something for more general family-oriented use, while the all-in-one would mostly be for my purposes. Storage space also isn't a major issue because from what I can tell most run 1TB hard drives in the first place and I already have an external HDD.

I guess one of my main questions is the whole pricing thing: I haven't exactly kept track of computer prices over the years (save for the thousands on those laptops), but the all-in-ones I was looking at were only something like $400-500 not including RAM additions. Is it just me, or does that seem cheap for a fully-fledged desktop computer? Am I missing something?

NJStateOfMind

Unconfirmed Member
Hey TechGAF I'm not sure weather to ask this in here or the PC thread, But I'm looking to overclock my cpu and gpu. I've never done it before. I've tried overclocking my gpu in MSI Afterburner. But after I put in any settings I'll try a game and it will eventually crash. I've also tried overclocking the cpu in my bios. I'm not sure if thats where I'm suppose to do that or if there's a program for it. My cpu and gpu are a Intel i5 4670K and a MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr OC 2GB. My motherboard is a MSI Z87-G45. Any help would be appreciated.

accx

Any chance of a Christmas miracle for my grandmother, chaps?

Cheers!

Have you tried looking for a game that's the same as jezzball but has support for windows 7?
A quick search gives me tonnes of recommendations.

Mac help please.

Had to send off my Mac for a repair THREE times in two months. I started hearing a buzzing sound emitting from it, sent it in and returned with the same sound and thought maybe it's normal. Then one day, it just died and didn't boot up. Sent it in, and got it back and it died AGAIN in two days.

They keep replacing the PSU, which is clearly NOT the issue. Help?!

You should take this up with the ones doing the repairs and see if you can get a replacement rather than getting it repaired. You should not under any circumstances try fixing it on your own because that will void your warranty.
It's also a PITA to open up laptops, moreso Mac laptops.

Are some GPU fans supposed to not spin freely?

And anyone know where I can get the cheapest screwdriver set from a brick and mortar store?

Spin freely? I don't understand your question. Are you saying it's not spinning all the time?
Or is the fan hitting something all the time when spinning, thus emitting a sound?
The first would be fine, it's probably because it's not getting hot enough (but you should check to see if it spins up at all).
The second would be bad. Removing dust or unscrewing it and re-align it so it fit properly would be my recommendation.

As for your second question i have no idea. The cheapest store you have available that sells screw drivers i would assume?

When you say all-in-one's, are you talking about the equivalent of a dell computer/prebuilt?
When i think of All-in-one my mind goes directly to those that's all in one screen.
It's gonna be hell trying to upgrade it, if at all possible. You'll be stuck with inferior hardware as well.
You should consider just building your own. Some sites offer to build it for you but you select the parts so you wouldn't have any problems upgrading it.
There's a PC building thread over at the gaming side that can point you in the right direction.
If you really want something that's built into the monitor, i would only consider iMac, and that's only for the OS itself. If you're sticking with PC then there's no point having one of those all-in-one's unless you're cramped for space. Or for looks maybe.

Hey TechGAF I'm not sure weather to ask this in here or the PC thread, But I'm looking to overclock my cpu and gpu. I've never done it before. I've tried overclocking my gpu in MSI Afterburner. But after I put in any settings I'll try a game and it will eventually crash. I've also tried overclocking the cpu in my bios. I'm not sure if thats where I'm suppose to do that or if there's a program for it. My cpu and gpu are a Intel i5 4670K and a MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr OC 2GB. My motherboard is a MSI Z87-G45. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not one to recommend GPU overclocking because i find the performance boost to be slim at best. Your card is already factory overclocked so i'm not sure if you can push it any further.
As for cpu overclocking, yes you should be doing it in bios.
I believe there's plenty of guides over at the gaming side in the "i need a new pc" thread.

When you say all-in-one's, are you talking about the equivalent of a dell computer/prebuilt?
When i think of All-in-one my mind goes directly to those that's all in one screen.
It's gonna be hell trying to upgrade it, if at all possible. You'll be stuck with inferior hardware as well.
You should consider just building your own. Some sites offer to build it for you but you select the parts so you wouldn't have any problems upgrading it.
There's a PC building thread over at the gaming side that can point you in the right direction.
If you really want something that's built into the monitor, i would only consider iMac, and that's only for the OS itself. If you're sticking with PC then there's no point having one of those all-in-one's unless you're cramped for space. Or for looks maybe.

I'm talking the "all-in-one screen" variation, yeah. The difference compared to your usual GAF case is that I'm not exactly looking for perpetual upgrades, septuple cores, blast processing, etc. like you'd expect. I'd be very much content with a "vanilla" computer with a little extra processing power for my sake. Upgrading also isn't a massive issue because I'm slated to join the Air Force sometime "soon" in the first place (anywhere from a few months to over a year, depending) and my plan was to buy an all-in-one for personal use here at the house, get shipped out, and then following bootcamp / tech school bring the all-in-one to whatever my new housing situation would be, use that for a desktop, and invest in a more modern laptop for mobile usage.

accx

I'm talking the "all-in-one screen" variation, yeah. The difference compared to your usual GAF case is that I'm not exactly looking for perpetual upgrades, septuple cores, blast processing, etc. like you'd expect. I'd be very much content with a "vanilla" computer with a little extra processing power for my sake. Upgrading also isn't a massive issue because I'm slated to join the Air Force sometime "soon" in the first place (anywhere from a few months to over a year, depending) and my plan was to buy an all-in-one for personal use here at the house, get shipped out, and then following bootcamp / tech school bring the all-in-one to whatever my new housing situation would be, use that for a desktop, and invest in a more modern laptop for mobile usage.

Hm okay. If you have any links for those that run about 400-500, i can look them up and see if the hardware is alright for the price.
Even if you don't want to upgrade or have that option, i still think you'd be better off with just a laptop and maybe an external monitor.
You see, the hardware in those AIO's is usually the same that's running in a laptop for a similar price. Mobile CPU's and Mobile GPU's, which is just not worth it if you're going for a desktop.
I'd rather spend the money on a laptop + external peripherals, and perhaps add a tablet rather than buying an AIO & then a laptop. They're essentially the same, only one of them is much more portable.
Also, sitting at a desk with a screen larger than 25" @ a distance of 1m is just painful, and what i'm seeing is that most are at 27".

Hm okay. If you have any links for those that run about 400-500, i can look them up and see if the hardware is alright for the price.
Even if you don't want to upgrade or have that option, i still think you'd be better off with just a laptop and maybe an external monitor.
You see, the hardware in those AIO's is usually the same that's running in a laptop for a similar price. Mobile CPU's and Mobile GPU's, which is just not worth it if you're going for a desktop.
I'd rather spend the money on a laptop + external peripherals, and perhaps add a tablet rather than buying an AIO & then a laptop. They're essentially the same, only one of them is much more portable.
Also, sitting at a desk with a screen larger than 25" @ a distance of 1m is just painful, and what i'm seeing is that most are at 27".

Here's an example of one I was looking at. I'd be fine with just getting a new desktop computer, but my main concern about that would be that you'd also have to factor in costs for the extra equipment (monitor / keyboard / etc) while the basics normally come with the all-in-one PCs.

EDIT: I guess the one I posted only has RAM expandable to only 8GB, though.

kennah

If you are looking at production work you need at least an i5 or an i7. Can pretty well guarantee that that Pentium will be a disappointment.

Edit. I did a bit more digging. The only i5 that they have in PC (that costs less than an iMac) is a $999 Viao that has a ultra low voltage cpu - the same one that is in the MacBook Air. So. Pointless in a desktop. You might be best off with a bottom end iMac. They are about 1200, come with a good i5, are upgradeable to 16 gig of ram and better is for why you do anyway (what software are you looking at using?)

params7

Banned
What's a good way to upgrade from Windows Home Premium 64bit to Professional 64bit?

Microsoft's "anytimeUpgrade" does not work anymore with Windows 7 since it forces Windows 8 upgrade. Can I still purchase a Windows 7 Pro code and upgrade it? I don't want to do the clean install, just keep all the current files/apps and unlock features that come with Pro.

If you are looking at production work you need at least an i5 or an i7. Can pretty well guarantee that that Pentium will be a disappointment.

Edit. I did a bit more digging. The only i5 that they have in PC (that costs less than an iMac) is a $999 Viao that has a ultra low voltage cpu - the same one that is in the MacBook Air. So. Pointless in a desktop. You might be best off with a bottom end iMac. They are about 1200, come with a good i5, are upgradeable to 16 gig of ram and better is for why you do anyway (what software are you looking at using?)

Acoustica Mixcraft, which is... Windows only. :|

I'm also looking at some of these online custom-built PC sites and I have absolutely zero idea what I'm doing.

accx

Acoustica Mixcraft, which is... Windows only. :|

I'm also looking at some of these online custom-built PC sites and I have absolutely zero idea what I'm doing.

As kennah said, An i5 would be preferred if you need it mainly for music production. Even an i3 would probably do fine depending on how much plugins and stuff you're loading in.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600246
Here's the link for the "i need a new pc" thread, where you can get better help at building and provide you with more options for pre-built ones, and what type of hardware you would need..
I'm not confident in giving any laptop recommendations at the moment because i simple haven't read up on them in a while.
As long as you stay clear of any cpu marked with U in the end you should be fine. Stay with Intel. i5/i7 preferably for music production. 8gb of ram should be fine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Avoid GPU overclocking; your card is already ridiculous (and factory overclocked).

You should be OCing your CPU from the bios, but you're getting crashes because your voltages are not stable. You need to do intensive load testing to make sure it can handle extended use at high clocks. Prime95 is a good testing app.

NJStateOfMind

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the help. I tried overclocking again. I set the multiplier to 44 and the voltage to 1.25 and it seems stable. I havent had one crash and I've tried plenty of games.

this is what Real Temp and CPU-Z now reads. Does this look ok?

jzYbnXN.jpg
UgpKm9C.jpg

my laptop is stuttering for a few seconds every couple of minutes or so, like a brief pause or a lag. is this a sign if something serious, like a failing drive?

params7

Banned
my laptop is stuttering for a few seconds every couple of minutes or so, like a brief pause or a lag. is this a sign if something serious, like a failing drive?

Stuttering in what sense, does the whole screen freeze and stutter? Or just the mouse? Could be anything from bad mouse to failing component in your PC. I'd run virus scans, check mouse and run hardware diagnostics at bootup.

it's almost like the lag caused by a CPU spike, except the CPU isn't spiking. everything comes to a halt for 2-3 seconds. it's a Mac, so I can't virus scan it. maybe it's a sign to finally upgrade to solid state.

Top Bottom