• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I have a Lenovo G505, an I'm constantly having to disable and or uninstall the driver for the built in camera. Every time I boot up the computer though, it's been restored. How do I stop that from happening?

I have a Lenovo G505, an I'm constantly having to disable and or uninstall the driver for the built in camera. Every time I boot up the computer though, it's been restored. How do I stop that from happening?

A friend of mine has the same problem with her S210 and the sound drivers

Mistake

Is there any way to delete the podcast url off of episodes so they won't try and contact the server in itunes? Some of you may of heard about mevio shutting down, so I keep getting prompted for a password with itunes open. Even if I unsubscribe, it still has to make contact to complete the request =/ I want to keep the episodes where they are for my ipod, but if I have to I'll just move them out of itunes.

Have you tried this guide from Microsoft? It outlines 2 ways to do it for Windows 7.

Thanks, worked great. Really, you saved my ass here. All my university stuff was on there.

You're welcome, it's rather handy having that command on the right click context menu for any pain in the ass folders that refuse access due to legacy permission issues from older Windows installations for example.

You're welcome, it's rather handy having that command on the right click context menu for any pain in the ass folders that refuse access due to legacy permission issues from older Windows installations for example.

I'm most definitely keeping this thing installed. Might save me from a headache or two in the future.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm currently trying to replace my motherboard. The new motherboard has a heatsink installed above the chipset, my old one had a fan at that spot. Since I'm not really sure about what this does, can I just leave the heatsink there instead of the fan, or do I have to put a fan on top of it (like it looks on my CPU)?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm currently trying to replace my motherboard. The new motherboard has a heatsink installed above the chipset, my old one had a fan at that spot. Since I'm not really sure about what this does, can I just leave the heatsink there instead of the fan, or do I have to put a fan on top of it (like it looks on my CPU)?

nah, just heatsink is fine. I haven't seen a fan on a chipset in a long, long time.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What determines the order in which XP recognizes HDDs? I have a SATA and an IDE HDD, with XP installed on the SATA one.
Now after I changed my motherboard XP recognizes the IDE one before the SATA and therefore assigns it drive C and refuses to boot Windows. When I take out the IDE HDD it correctly recognies the SATA as C and boots without a problem. But I don't know what I can do to make it work with both HDDs. I swear I connected everything the same way as before (I even made photos to be sure), but somehow it doesn't work properly anymore. Is there maybe a BIOS setting I missed?

Edit: Seems like I fixed it by rebuilding the MBR on the IDE HDD. Hooray!

saelz8

Threads on GAF not loading properly for you guys? Keep having to refresh. Just trying to see if its me, or the site is playing up.

potam

Banned
Reformatted last night and had a lot of fun getting my wifi working. Long story short, my adapter was only connecting to the 2.4ghz network, so I had to make a separate ssid for that, so I was able to manually join the 5ghz network. The other fun thing about it is when I set my adapter to only connect as ac, it stopped picking up the 5ghz network entirely. I'm still not getting full speed, but I can still max out my internet, so whatever.

Long story short, if you're looking for wireless USB adapters, don't get a linksys wusb6300 or whatever. It blows.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

potam

Banned
Just noticed my keyboard is only connecting as USB 2.0. Not really a problem, but it has 2 3.0 ports on the keyboard that I'd like to take advantage of some day. Any idea how to force it to 3.0?

celebi23

So, I've got Windows 8.1 Pro (with all the latest updates) running on a MacBook Pro via Boot Camp. I added another 4GB of RAM a few months ago. When those problem updates came out earlier this month, I followed microsoft's guide on how to remove them (only had 3 of the 4 installed). A few days ago, the Windows Update control panel would freeze once it was launched. I've tried a variety of things
http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4724-windows-update-not-working.html
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...-gigs-how-to-best-clean-up?forum=winservergen
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700567/en-us
None of them seem to work. Have you guys ever encountered this problem before? If so, what might your suggestions be (besides doing a clean instal)? I also posted it on reddit
Thanks!

It seems like that would stop all drivers from being updated, is there a way to just stop it for one device?

Yeah, that's the kicker. It's all or nothing.

I personally update all my drivers manually if needed so I just followed the guide. The guide doesn't block normal update procedures (initiated by the user), it only prevents Windows from doing its own thing and pissing you off.

BraXzy

I posted about this in the PC parts thread but this thread is more relevant.

I think I've been having issues with one of my hard drives, I'm 99% sure it's my second drive but not certain. I'd like to find out how to best assess the problem, and of course fix it. So anyway, I first noticed something was up when my computer froze upon taking a screenshot in a game. I didn't really get why it had happened until more things started acting weird like Windows Explorer freaking out, certain things going wrong with folders etc, which made me think one of my HDD's was on the blink. That was pretty much confirmed by the fact the next time I booted up a CHDSK Check (or whatever the heck it is) happened for my D drive.

Once it finished running and booted up I did the error-check through My Computer -> Drive -> Properties and it said it found some problems and fixed them but it is still happening. I assume it's just breaking and will soon fail but I'm hoping there's a fix that will save me money.

Hard drive in question: "2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda".. I've owned it for almost 2 years now and it was bought new when I built my PC.

TL;DR: I think my second hard drive is starting to fail and I want to know how best to assess the problem and try to fix it.

Is it normal for a laptop battery to just go to shit in ~2 years? My laptop all of the sudden has a battery life of 17 minutes when not plugged in. And sometimes when plugged in it simply sits in a state where it isn't losing battery but the battery charge indicator never goes up.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
After my laptop wouldn't boot and Windows couldn't repair it, I decided to install Windows 7 on a backup HDD partition; now my battery will not charge. I tried restarting, taking the battery out and uninstalling battery drivers to no avail. Any advice? It's should still be under warranty, but Toshiba customer service blows so I would like to avoid calling if I can.

Is it normal for a laptop battery to just go to shit in ~2 years? My laptop all of the sudden has a battery life of 17 minutes when not plugged in. And sometimes when plugged in it simply sits in a state where it isn't losing battery but the battery charge indicator never goes up.

2-3 years is the average lifespan of a laptop battery with regular usage. 4-5 if you're bloody lucky.

I had the same issue a couple of years ago with my own laptop battery (a Dell) after 3 years of regular use.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
my laptop dies at like 50% battery life displayed and it's 2 years old, so...... yeah. I never use it without cable now.

Alright folks, here's a good one.

My girlfriend's laptop, running Windows 8.1, cannot find the OS, or something to that effect. Upon startup, we are greeted with error code 0xc0000034, with it saying the PC needs to be repaired, and that the Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information. After a couple of minutes at this screen, it shuts off.

We have tried toying around with some settings to no avail, and even bought a new Windows 8 key in order to create installation media and put it on a USB jumpdrive. But nothing seems to be working.

We're not necessarily looking to make it go right back to how it was a few days ago, because that's not really realistic. But we do want the thing to work, and being able to salvage the data already there (like a Windows.old folder) would be nice.

Update!

It is recognizing the jumpdrive, but now saying it cannot find any drive to actually install Windows 8 onto. Might be the hard drive busted or just some missing drivers, so we downloaded a specific driver for this laptop but it's also not working/not being found. (We put the downloaded driver on a separate jump drive.)

Bleepey

I have some hidden adware on my PC and my antivirus doesn't seem to wanna purge it. How do i get rid of Tuneup pro and other shit like that?

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
Alright folks, here's a good one.

My girlfriend's laptop, running Windows 8.1, cannot find the OS, or something to that effect. Upon startup, we are greeted with error code 0xc0000034, with it saying the PC needs to be repaired, and that the Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information. After a couple of minutes at this screen, it shuts off.

We have tried toying around with some settings to no avail, and even bought a new Windows 8 key in order to create installation media and put it on a USB jumpdrive. But nothing seems to be working.

We're not necessarily looking to make it go right back to how it was a few days ago, because that's not really realistic. But we do want the thing to work, and being able to salvage the data already there (like a Windows.old folder) would be nice.

Update!

It is recognizing the jumpdrive, but now saying it cannot find any drive to actually install Windows 8 onto. Might be the hard drive busted or just some missing drivers, so we downloaded a specific driver for this laptop but it's also not working/not being found. (We put the downloaded driver on a separate jump drive.)

Have you considered using the system repair already found on laptops?

HPhins54

Neo Member
A few days ago my computer hard locked and I had to manually shut it off. IIRC, this happened after I closed Chrome and was getting ready to put it in sleep mode.

Upon restarting my computer, I was greeted with this screen.

los58F7.jpg

I chose the restart option which brought me back to the same screen, so I chose advanced options. That brought me here.

Continuing to Windows 8.1 did not work, so I went into troubleshooting. From there, I went to startup repair, but that was unsuccessful and brought me back to where I was.

I tried refresh PC and that got me into Windows. That removed my downloaded programs, but kept my PC settings. I began to re-download programs like Chrome and had to download some Windows updates.

However, the next time I restarted my PC (for the new updates to take effect), I got stuck at a blank blue screen. It was like the login screen, but I couldn't do anything. There was no indication of a mouse cursor, and my keyboard wouldn't do anything. I left it on this screen for several minutes without a hint of activity.

I decided to completely reformat my HDD and start from scratch. This got me into Windows. After downloading Windows updates and drivers, I restarted, and once again, got the blue screen.

I decided to try my SSD. Again, starting from scratch, I was able to get into Windows. Once again, after downloading updates, drivers, etc, I was met with a blue, blank screen on boot up. I repeated the process, however, this time I did not install the Windows updates or drivers. I restarted the computer and still got the blue screen.

A few notes.
- The majority of the time that I restart the computer, I get the blue screen. Sometimes I get the "Windows did not start properly" screen and I'm able to get into Windows via the refresh option.
- I'm also always able to get into Windows by doing a fresh install of Windows.
- Prior to this happening, I don't recall downloading any updates or new software and I didn't change any stuff in BIOS. Could it be hardware related?
- Once I'm in Windows, the computer runs fine, but I can't put it to sleep or restart it because then I can't get back on.

Windows 8.1
i5 3570k
Geforce 770
Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
8 gigs of Corsair ram
1TB WD Black HDD

Thanks for your time. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Enco

61Ypht8.png

Google keeps reverting to the old design and it's making searching a horrible experience. Clearing cache helps for a few minutes but then it goes back.

Using chrome 64bit.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
After my laptop wouldn't boot and Windows couldn't repair it, I decided to install Windows 7 on a backup HDD partition; now my battery will not charge. I tried restarting, taking the battery out and uninstalling battery drivers to no avail. Any advice? It's should still be under warranty, but Toshiba customer service blows so I would like to avoid calling if I can.
Still having this problem + FN key not working. I downloaded the driver off Toshiba's website, which seems usless.

Anustart

Ugh. So I was setting up a VPN for my university. I get it all set up, I disconnect from the VPN, then after doing that I cannot connect to the VPN again or even go to my university's website in any browser on my computer :/ What gives?

Edit: On top of that, the windows button on main monitor no longer functions. This has happened before as well. Clicking it does nothing. Works on my other monitor though.

Edit: After pulling my hair out, I decide to uninstall the Cisco AnyConnect shit. Well, computer is just stuck uninstalling this piece of shit. Hasn't budged in 10 minutes.

Edit: Restarted computer, which wouldn't happen as it was stuck. Force reset, reinstall cisco AnyConnect, works. So I guess just never disconnect from the VPN less it kills my connections.

Sun Drugs

I have a minor issue I was wondering maybe someone can help with.

Here is the situation: I started a new job today and my work involves using a plotter to cut vinyl (for decals, signs, etc). That plotter is connected to my work laptop via a Serial to USB Adapter. However -- the software on that laptop is currently not working, as the trial ran out. So I cannot use the plotter. But, I do have that software on my home PC. What I would like to do connect from my work laptop to my home PC using TeamViewer and somehow use the plotter that is connected to my work laptop as a USB device on my home PC and remotely do work on that while also being able to use the plotter at work.

Hopefully that makes sense. The only software I see available is something called USB over Ethernet (http://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/), but it is a bit pricey.

I can't get any work done until we fix the licensing issue, but I think that will be fixed shortly.

My 64 bit windows 7 Samsung laptop keeps getting the blue screen error and shutting it self off, upon restarting, it gets a blue screen again and the cycle repeats. Whenever it gets the blue screen error, it becomes a case of trial and error on my part to prevent it from getting yet another blue screen error after a restart/shutdown.

I have also noticed that the left underside of my Laptop gets very hot whenever a blue screen is about to happen or when it has happened.

Does anyone know how to prevent my laptop from getting the Blue screen?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Here is an irritating audio problem I have on a somewhat regular basis:

When I watch video on my XBox, or through native Netflix or Amazon Prime on the smart tv, the audio will be delayed to the point where it is slightly behind the video. My Yamaha receiver has an HDMI input and 4 or 5 outputs, too which runs the 360, Blu Ray player, etc. My TV is a Panny LED 58 inch. The Yamaha receiver only allows me two options for audio sync: Auto sync and manual. Auto rarely corrects a problem once it has begun, manual only allows me to delay the audio more, but not effectively "push-up the sound" to match the video.

Any way to delay my video feeds slightly or get my audio to sync better automatically? It oftentimes happens after I have paused a video on Netflix, but like I said, it is just random.

If anyone can answer this one for me in a way that doesn't require unhooking cables, there is a 5 buck Amazon code in it for you.

Then I have a secondary question afterwards with another gift card in it. :)

Forkball

The past few days when I start my computer, it will start to turn on, then shut off, then try to turn itself back on again. The first time it did this I had to hard reset because it did it several times. Recently it's been turning on, then off, then back on permanently. What's the issue here?

Enco

The past few days when I start my computer, it will start to turn on, then shut off, then try to turn itself back on again. The first time it did this I had to hard reset because it did it several times. Recently it's been turning on, then off, then back on permanently. What's the issue here?
This sometimes happens with me but not often. No idea why. Bad RAM?

Apparently that behaviour is intentional if you're using an older version of Chrome. They really want to get every Chrome user on the latest version asap.
I'm using Version 37.0.2062.103 unknown-m (64-bit)

Latest one.

inkls

I own an Alienware M11x R1.

Since I've tried fiddling with the graphics drivers in mars 2013 every time I boot my Nvidia card is not displayed in the display adapters and my resolution is stuck at 1280x800 which leaves part of the screen with a black bar and the taskbar not being visible.

So far I had done a small system restore each time to bring back the pc to the last update and it worked so I know my graphics cards are not malfunctioning but if I reboot the laptop goes back to 1280x800 every time and the switchable graphics do not work.

I've been looking for a solution online ever since but similar issues I've found have either been unanswered or given solutions that I've tried and not worked.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers (from the dell website otherwise you don't have the option to switch graphics) with no success unless I've been installing the wrong drivers all along.

The Nvidia control panel doesn't seem to give me the option to force the resolution to change.

I'm finishing a backup and thinking about restoring to factory settings but I thought I'd give this thread a shot.

Anustart

When I woke up this morning my computer was off, which is odd because I only put it to sleep. And just now when I got home from classes it was off again :(

Anything to check?

Collete

First time posting here so maybe somebody can help me...
This morning I've been experiencing my computer (a Lenovo y580 ideapad laptop) crashing, giving me a blue screen saying there was a memory problem and said to look up "memory_management" and I did.
Most of the Google sites said to run a Windows Memory Diagnostic test which I did. But when I ran it says there was issues with my hardware and I had to contact the manufacturer.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how do I fix it?
I'm not exactly tech savvy so any help would be appreciated with this.

Probably a super easy question:

Since yesterday, I have the generic icon instead of the Google Chrome icon in my taskbar.
9P6lMHA.jpg

It's been disturbing me.

Anyone knows how to put the Chrome icon back ?

Tamanon

Banned
Probably a super easy question:

Since yesterday, I have the generic icon instead of the Google Chrome icon in my taskbar.
9P6lMHA.jpg

It's been disturbing me.

Anyone knows how to put the Chrome icon back ?

I would try unpinning it from the taskbar and then just pinning it again. Windows sometimes does that, especially if a version change happened on the app. It's a bit annoying.

Ashhong

Guys I am at my wits end here. I am trying to transfer about 500gb of data from one Sata HDD to another (which I just installed W7 onto). The speeds were ok at first, about 50mb/s. After halfway through, the speeds seem to have dropped to 11mb/s. Any idea why? Very frustrating. I still have 100gb or so to go and I need it right away

Kade

A few days ago, I received the Gigabyte Z97X motherboard and Intel Core i5 4690K I ordered from online as upgrades for my aging rig. It was running perfectly fine up until yesterday where it started locking up and my monitor would show its "DVI No Input" message before recovering and displaying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". The worst of it is when I'm playing games where it runs fine for 10 seconds to about a minute before it does the same thing but on recovery, the game is either frozen on the frame it crashed on or becomes completely transparent except for the mouse cursor while the sound continues to play. Normally, this is fixed by enabling HPET in the BIOS and the operating system (Windows 8.1 in this case) but in the Gigabyte UEFI DualBIOS the option to enable or disable HPET is absent (I'm assuming it's forced on now).

I think it could be the following but I don't know anything about this stuff: A) My GeForce 660 is busted; or B) My Antec Sonata from 2007's 500W power supply isn't supplying enough power.

Anyone know what it could be and/or have solutions?

kirblar

Silly question/request- In IE7, is there a way for multiple IE/Chrome/etc windows to expand into multiple icons on the bottom of the screen? Having to mouseover then select a box when I have to use multiples at once for various tasks (when I can't just use tabs) is really annoying and slows me down.

bjork

Alrighty, a cry for help here:

Got a Dell XPS 8700 that I picked up about two months ago. When I go to boot it now, it gets to the dell screen, then says "starting automatic repair" and hangs up there and sits forever. If I go into diagnostics, it says there is an issue 2000-0142, hard drive failure. But in poking around various tech threads, people claim to have bypassed this with software somehow.

Problem is, I hadn't yet made the factory restore backup thing yet, so I have a tower that won't go beyond the dell screen and I'm not sure what my next course of action is. Do I contact dell and send them the hard drive? Can I find the factory restore data on some website and put it on a thumb drive or something? Any help would be great.

If I'm slow in replying, I'm currently on an old HP that barely boots into windows 7... it gets into windows but loads almost nothing. I get to firefox by opening the task manager and starting a new process, but it hangs up after about an hour of usage, the poor old beast.

kirblar

Silly question/request- In IE7, is there a way for multiple IE/Chrome/etc windows to expand into multiple icons on the bottom of the screen? Having to mouseover then select a box when I have to use multiples at once for various tasks (when I can't just use tabs) is really annoying and slows me down.
Bumping for new page. :p

Ashhong

If you right click the taskbar and go to properties you can change this. You want it to not combine. I don't think you can do it so that it's only certain programs though

cjdunn

Alrighty, a cry for help here:

Got a Dell XPS 8700 that I picked up about two months ago. When I go to boot it now, it gets to the dell screen, then says "starting automatic repair" and hangs up there and sits forever. If I go into diagnostics, it says there is an issue 2000-0142, hard drive failure. But in poking around various tech threads, people claim to have bypassed this with software somehow.

Problem is, I hadn't yet made the factory restore backup thing yet, so I have a tower that won't go beyond the dell screen and I'm not sure what my next course of action is. Do I contact dell and send them the hard drive? Can I find the factory restore data on some website and put it on a thumb drive or something? Any help would be great.

If I'm slow in replying, I'm currently on an old HP that barely boots into windows 7... it gets into windows but loads almost nothing. I get to firefox by opening the task manager and starting a new process, but it hangs up after about an hour of usage, the poor old beast.

Normally at work, what I would do is pull the hard drive and plug into a Wiebetech UltraDock. It's a drive adapter, so I can plug an internal SATA drive into another PC as an external (assuming the drive can still mount).

It sounds like your drive is failing but still in a mostly bootable state.

If you have the Windows installer disc, boot from that > choose "Repair your computer" > Next > Command Prompt.

Enter: CHKDSK <drive letter> /R (your boot drive may not necessarily be C:; just use the dir command until you find it)

This looks for bad sectors and attempts to recover data.

bjork

It didn't come with a Windows disc, sadly. Just the tower/kb/mouse and two little booklets that don't help much. Is there no real way to get into safe mode in windows 8.1? I've seen some things saying to hold down shift and jam on F8, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

[edit - I found a repair disk that would at least let me view the hard drive and recover data, etc. It says that the 919gb partition on my hard drive is corrupted and cannot be accessed. So now I guess I contact dell. Boooo...]

Shadow780

Hello tech support GAF, hope you guys can help me with something:

I got a old but still decent Dell XPS (core i7, 6GB RAM, 4870x2) that I want to pass to my parent. It came with Vista originally but I upgraded to W7 Pro when it came out via retail upgrade disc. Now I would like to do a clean install for my parent on a new SATA II SSD that I got for cheap using the upgrade product key.

Is there a way to transfer that license to the new SSD? I won't be using that license anymore.

Thanks.

Top Bottom