• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Cigol

So a couple days ago I noticed I couldn't access a folder on my WD RED 3TB, said something about being inaccessible. The rest of the drive seemed to be working fine. This isn't an old drive either we are talking 3 months of use. I didn't think anything of it at the time but after a reboot yesterday the whole drive is inaccessible and shows up as RAW in disk management. Prior to this I had something like 800GB free and nothing sounded out felt amiss (like in previous HD failures I've experienced). I've run the diagnostics prior to the reboot and everything passed and showed up fine. Since the reboot I've used getdataback to check the drive in case I need to recover it like that and I can see that might work but is there no way of just waving a magic wand and getting it back up and running in windows. I can't see why it suddenly stopped like that?

ayeorkean

So a couple days ago I noticed I couldn't access a folder on my WD RED 3TB, said something about being inaccessible. The rest of the drive seemed to be working fine. This isn't an old drive either we are talking 3 months of use. I didn't think anything of it at the time but after a reboot yesterday the whole drive is inaccessible and shows up as RAW in disk management. Prior to this I had something like 800GB free and nothing sounded out felt amiss (like in previous HD failures I've experienced). I've run the diagnostics prior to the reboot and everything passed and showed up fine. Since the reboot I've used getdataback to check the drive in case I need to recover it like that and I can see that might work but is there no way of just waving a magic wand and getting it back up and running in windows. I can't see why it suddenly stopped like that?

Running chkdsk, or possibly test disk if partion data is corrupted.

Cigol

Not familiar with test disk - would it interfere with getdataback? chkdsk won't run without formatting it first either.

Burnburn

Heyhey TechGaf,

So today I decided to clean up my PC and tidy up the cable management. I took out everything except for the RAM and the CPU. After assembling the PC again, the system didn't get to the POST and the "CPU led" lightened up. I first thought that it was an issue with the PSU, but after putting someone else's PSU into the system it still did the same thing. No beeps at start up, which it did before.

My specs are:
Radeon HD7950
AMD-8350
Asus M5A99FX

Heyhey TechGaf,

So today I decided to clean up my PC and tidy up the cable management. I took out everything except for the RAM and the CPU. After assembling the PC again, the system didn't get to the POST and the "CPU led" lightened up. I first thought that it was an issue with the PSU, but after putting someone else's PSU into the system it still did the same thing. No beeps at start up, which it did before.

My specs are:
Radeon HD7950
AMD-8350
Asus M5A99FX

Probably missed a cable somewhere. Got both the 20 (24?) pin ATX cable and the 8 pin ATX connected to the motherboard? GPU has PCI-E cables? Heatsink fan is plugged into mobo?

If it's clean you could always just take a pic if you want, someone might be able to spot something.

Apt101

Heyhey TechGaf,

My specs are:
Radeon HD7950
AMD-8350
Asus M5A99FX

As mentioned, first reseat all cables while making sure none were missed. Make sure nothing is obstructing the CPU fan, and if not, that it's even firing up and spinning - if not that will cause it not to post. If all checks out clear the BIOS, either with the appropriate jumper or by removing the battery for about 5 minutes while the system is unplugged from power. And make sure you didn't flick the switch(es) on the power supply, if you're using one that even has them.

Edit: oh yea, and finally connect the display to any integrated graphics the system might have and see if it's just defaulting back to it for some reason.

Burnburn

Thanks for the replies!

Probably missed a cable somewhere. Got both the 20 (24?) pin ATX cable and the 8 pin ATX connected to the motherboard? GPU has PCI-E cables? Heatsink fan is plugged into mobo?

If it's clean you could always just take a pic if you want, someone might be able to spot something.

Every cable is plugged in and the heatsink fan is working properly. It seems like everything is working like before, only the "CPU led" lights up this time

As mentioned, first reseat all cables while making sure none were missed. Make sure nothing is obstructing the CPU fan, and if not, that it's even firing up and spinning - if not that will cause it not to post. If all checks out clear the BIOS, either with the appropriate jumper or by removing the battery for about 5 minutes while the system is unplugged from power. And make sure you didn't flick the switch(es) on the power supply, if you're using one that even has them.

Edit: oh yea, and finally connect the display to any integrated graphics the system might have and see if it's just defaulting back to it for some reason.

Nothing is obstructing the CPU fan and it is spinning. I tried reseating the cables, I tried resetting the BIOS and I also tried updating it to the latest version. Power supply switch is on. My system doesn't have integrated graphics, so it rules out that one.

Maybe also worth noting is that the CPU led lights up for about 1 second when I start it up, then goes out for a second and then proceeds to stay on.

Some pictures I have taken:

DrQcnfm.jpg

Sorry for phone quality

Thanks for the replies!

Every cable is plugged in and the heatsink fan is working properly. It seems like everything is working like before, only the "CPU led" lights up this time

Nothing is obstructing the CPU fan and it is spinning. I tried reseating the cables, I tried resetting the BIOS and I also tried updating it to the latest version. Power supply switch is on. My system doesn't have integrated graphics, so it rules out that one.

Maybe also worth noting is that the CPU led lights up for about 1 second when I start it up, then goes out for a second and then proceeds to stay on.

Some pictures I have taken:
Sorry for phone quality

Did you take the heatsink off? When you put it back on did you apply thermal paste?

How did you update the BIOS if it's not booting?

Try the steps in this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems (you have to hit "see full content" in the first post). You can skip the CPU pin stuff if you didn't take out the CPU at all and it was working beforehand.

edit: what colour is the CPU_LED? Are any of the other LEDs lit up?

Burnburn

Did you take the heatsink off? When you put it back on did you apply thermal paste?

How did you update the BIOS if it's not booting?

Try the steps in this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems (you have to hit "see full content" in the first post). You can skip the CPU pin stuff if you didn't take out the CPU at all and it was working beforehand.

edit: what colour is the CPU_LED? Are any of the other LEDs lit up?

Yes, I took off the the heatsink, but I didn't refresh the thermal paste, I just used the old thermal paste, since I don't have any new thermal paste lying around.

I tried to update the BIOS to the latest version by downloading it and putting it on a USB-stick, then I put it into the USB flashback port and tried updating it with bios flashback. I should've been more clear about that, I tried it, but it did nothing, so in the end I didn't succeed in updating it.

The colour of the CPU led is red, There's a green led lightened up on the lower right corner of the motherboard, but it's already on without the PC being powered up.

Someone else already suggested refreshing the thermal paste to me, that might be it! I think I'll go out later and buy some thermal paste and refresh it.

Yes, I took off the the heatsink, but I didn't refresh the thermal paste, I just used the old thermal paste, since I don't have any new thermal paste lying around.

I tried to update the BIOS to the latest version by downloading it and putting it on a USB-stick, then I put it into the USB flashback port and tried updating it with bios flashback. I should've been more clear about that, I tried it, but it did nothing, so in the end I didn't succeed in updating it.

The colour of the CPU led is red, There's a green led lightened up on the lower right corner of the motherboard, but it's already on without the PC being powered up.

Someone else already suggested refreshing the thermal paste to me, that might be it! I think I'll go out later and buy some thermal paste and refresh it.
Yeah, first thing is to definitely go get some paste and reapply it. The PC thread has some info in the OP about how to apply it. I'm not sure that will solve the issue but it's definitely step one imo.

FoneBone

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y480 laptop with Windows 8.1 installed. A few nights ago, my computer hung on the signout screen (it does this from time to time), and I had to turn it off by holding down the power button. Upon startup, it subsequently refused to load Windows, giving me a blue error screen with an “0xc0000001” error.

From what diagnostics I’ve been able to run, it looks to me like this is an issue with a corrupted bootloader, and not a mechanical problem with the hard drive itself. Unfortunately, my efforts to repair this have so far failed.

Attempted Fixes: Things I have tried unsuccessfully include:

While my laptop didn’t come with a recovery disc, I’ve downloaded an ISO of the Windows 8.1 Enterprise trial from Microsoft’s website (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx) and used this to boot into the Windows 8.1 recovery environment. Through this disc, I attempted the following:
Startup repair: have tried multiple times, and get a “startup repair failed” message every time. I’ve been able to load the error logs, which indicate Windows was unable to find the hard drive.
Windows refresh: “Drive is locked” error message
Windows reset: also produces a “cannot reset” message

Via the command prompt, also accessed via the repair disk, I’ve attempted the following:
chkdsk on the main Windows partition returns no errors or bad clusters
bootrec: Attempted to use the instructions here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm
Bootrec /fixmbr - “cannot find the file specified”
Bootrec /osloader - “0 windows installations found”
Possibly notable: every time I’ve accessed the command prompt since this error happened, I’ve had to manually assign a drive letter to the main Windows OS partition. As is, it has none assigned when I enter the command prompt.

Additionally, I’ve attempted to use my laptop’s built-in recovery functionality (Lenovo Onekey). Restoring the backup returns an error (“cannot restore the system partition because its structure is incorrect”).

Finally, I have been able to burn an Ubuntu Live disk (not actually installed, just bootable) to access basic PC functionality. It has also let me access the hard drive and backup my important files to an external drive. I have run its hard disk diagnostics, which do not indicate errors.

Recent Changes: None that I can think of.

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Home Premium (64-bit)

System Specs:
Lenovo IdeaPad Y480 (model 2093)
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz Processor
8GB DDR3 1600 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB GDDR5

LegoDad

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y480 laptop with Windows 8.1 installed. A few nights ago, my computer hung on the signout screen (it does this from time to time), and I had to turn it off by holding down the power button. Upon startup, it subsequently refused to load Windows, giving me a blue error screen with an “0xc0000001” error.

From what diagnostics I’ve been able to run, it looks to me like this is an issue with a corrupted bootloader, and not a mechanical problem with the hard drive itself. Unfortunately, my efforts to repair this have so far failed.

Attempted Fixes: Things I have tried unsuccessfully include:

While my laptop didn’t come with a recovery disc, I’ve downloaded an ISO of the Windows 8.1 Enterprise trial from Microsoft’s website (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx) and used this to boot into the Windows 8.1 recovery environment. Through this disc, I attempted the following:
Startup repair: have tried multiple times, and get a “startup repair failed” message every time. I’ve been able to load the error logs, which indicate Windows was unable to find the hard drive.
Windows refresh: “Drive is locked” error message
Windows reset: also produces a “cannot reset” message

Via the command prompt, also accessed via the repair disk, I’ve attempted the following:
chkdsk on the main Windows partition returns no errors or bad clusters
bootrec: Attempted to use the instructions here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/rebuild-bcd-store-windows.htm
Bootrec /fixmbr - “cannot find the file specified”
Bootrec /osloader - “0 windows installations found”
Possibly notable: every time I’ve accessed the command prompt since this error happened, I’ve had to manually assign a drive letter to the main Windows OS partition. As is, it has none assigned when I enter the command prompt.

Additionally, I’ve attempted to use my laptop’s built-in recovery functionality (Lenovo Onekey). Restoring the backup returns an error (“cannot restore the system partition because its structure is incorrect”).

Finally, I have been able to burn an Ubuntu Live disk (not actually installed, just bootable) to access basic PC functionality. It has also let me access the hard drive and backup my important files to an external drive. I have run its hard disk diagnostics, which do not indicate errors.

Recent Changes: None that I can think of.

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Home Premium (64-bit)

System Specs:
Lenovo IdeaPad Y480 (model 2093)
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz Processor
8GB DDR3 1600 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB GDDR5

Since you can access the hard drive, you could replace the corrupted file and it should boot.

Zutroy

In command prompt run diskpart and check the disk and partition are showing and active, and then try 'C:\Windows\System32\bcdboot.exe C:\Windows' to recreate the partition boot file.

FoneBone

In command prompt run diskpart and check the disk and partition are showing and active, and then try 'C:\Windows\System32\bcdboot.exe C:\Windows' to recreate the partition boot file.

I think I tried it and it didn't work, but I'll give it another go when I get the chance. Does it have to be c:? Is it significant that the main Windows partition will show up as drive H (usually) when I assign it a letter?

It's also possible I screwed up the file with a botched bootrec attempt. :/

zbarron

I just moved and switched ISPs. This one is offered by the city itself. It's $31 a month for supposed 20Mb DOWN and 5Mb UP. The problem is I got it installed today and those are for the burst speed in the first few seconds. It peters off to an average of 4.8Mb/S. Is there a way I can abuse utilize this lie feature over and over again while downloading larger files to get closer to the advertised speed I am paying for?

esms

Lend me your ears TechGaf,

I think I'm having a problem with graphics drivers and it is proving to be catastrophic. The error I get is as follows:

Event 0, ACEEventLogSource

FAILED: ADL_Display_SLSGrid_Caps and return value is: -1
Error Called by: ATI>ACE>CLI.Caste.Graphics.Runtime.RT_GraphicsAdapter_N::Refresh SLSInfo
processID: 03220
threadID:(13 )
domainName:(CCC.exe )
assemblyName:(CLI.Caste.Graphics.Runtime, Version=4.5.5371.30938, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)

When I get the error, it pops up 20+ times repeatedly in the Event Viewer, and it completely crashes my computer (Screen goes black, computer turn off, tries to turn itself back on, but ends up turning back off again, like it's failing to boot.)

My specs:

Intel I5-3570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
2x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Series X (8GB total)
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
MSI 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
Seasonic 620W PSU

Thanks for your help in advance.

Zutroy

I think I tried it and it didn't work, but I'll give it another go when I get the chance. Does it have to be c:? Is it significant that the main Windows partition will show up as drive H (usually) when I assign it a letter?

It's also possible I screwed up the file with a botched bootrec attempt. :/

No, doesn't have to be C, just whatever the OS is mapped too.

It is a bit odd that your OS is on H, because as far as I'm aware Windows will start at C and work its way up. Do you have any other partitions?

Lend me your ears TechGaf,

I think I'm having a problem with graphics drivers and it is proving to be catastrophic. The error I get is as follows:

Event 0, ACEEventLogSource

FAILED: ADL_Display_SLSGrid_Caps and return value is: -1
Error Called by: ATI>ACE>CLI.Caste.Graphics.Runtime.RT_GraphicsAdapter_N::Refresh SLSInfo
processID: 03220
threadID:(13 )
domainName:(CCC.exe )
assemblyName:(CLI.Caste.Graphics.Runtime, Version=4.5.5371.30938, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)

When I get the error, it pops up 20+ times repeatedly in the Event Viewer, and it completely crashes my computer (Screen goes black, computer turn off, tries to turn itself back on, but ends up turning back off again, like it's failing to boot.)

My specs:

Intel I5-3570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
2x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Series X (8GB total)
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
MSI 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
Seasonic 620W PSU

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tried uninstalling and deleting the display driver and the catalyst control centre and doing a fresh install of the drivers?

FoneBone

No, doesn't have to be C, just whatever the OS is mapped too.

It is a bit odd that your OS is on H, because as far as I'm aware Windows will start at C and work its way up. Do you have any other partitions?
There are 6 total, can try to get the list later.
Like I said above, what was the main windows partition - with all my files - no longer has a drive letter assigned to it by default (IE, without entering the diskpart "assign" command. I had to manually mount it to access it in Ubuntu.

bkw

Hey TechGaf,

I'm looking to possibly switch the HD in my late 2008 Macbook to an SSD. This one specifically because it's the cheapest I can get my hands on. It looks to be one of the most entry level SSDs out there, but will there be a noticeable performance boost from what I have now? The Macbook is pretty old, SATA2 I believe. Current drive a 5400rpm.

Not sure what I'm really trying to accomplish. Trying to squeeze some speed out of the old thing, but I suspect I'm more CPU bound at the moment.

Thanks!

I am trying to run the performance restoration fix on my Samsung Evo SSD and it always just jumps right to 15% and then gives this error:

sorry for the shitty picture, but anyway as far as I know i do not have any third party storage drivers installed.

I do have 2 mechanical HDDs hooked up, but I tried pulling the power to t hose drives and then starting the computer with only the SSD running and then trying again and still get the same error at 15%.

I have also tried seeing if the Samsung SSD has any driver updates from the device manager and it just says its already using the most up to date drivers.

I have a lot more than 10% free space on the drive as well, so I have no idea why it wont work.

Any ideas?

Persona7

Banned
Finally got a new PC.

New case, new motherboard, new hds, everything. Ordered from computer lx. Motherboard is a Sabertooth 990 r2.0, Asus.

Got everything installed, drivers updated, etc. it's suddenly powering off for no fucking reason. Just blip and gone. The motherboard light remains on, but the computer won't actually turn on again until I unplugg it, re plugg it in.

Anyone have any ideas, or am I just lucky enough to get a shit motherboard? Assuming it's the motherboard since the light stays on :/

Things I've done: Switched plugs on my ups, switched power cable. Nothing else on the ups (my router, external hd, ect) is losing power.

i had this issue once, the heatsink wasn't seated correctly on the processor

Since LX built it for be before shipping, I never thought to check it :/

If it does it again (it's been doing it every 40ish minutes) after switching the power cord straight to the wall instead of the UPS, I'll check that. Thanks a bunch.

Edit: Looks like I'll be messing with the heatsink in the morning :/

Download RealTemp and see if it's overheating. Could be shutting off for that reason. Do you have an alternate PSU you could try as well?

Burnburn

Okay, I applied new thermal paste and the issue is still there. Took me way longer than necessary because I messed up quite a bit with the thermal paste when cleaning it. But some rubbing alcohol and two toothbrushes later and all is well (I think).

So, back to zero again, it's either the CPU or the mobo. I'm at a point where I want to give up on fixing it and just want to know what's causing the issue so I can replace it.

Okay, I applied new thermal paste and the issue is still there. Took me way longer than necessary because I messed up quite a bit with the thermal paste when cleaning it. But some rubbing alcohol and two toothbrushes later and all is well (I think).

So, back to zero again, it's either the CPU or the mobo. I'm at a point where I want to give up on fixing it and just want to know what's causing the issue so I can replace it.

It feels like it should be something simple because it was working beforehand. Did you remove anything from the motherboard when you worked on it? Did you take the CPU out at any point? Have you tried the steps in this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems?

A nice picture or two could go a long way, if you could provide one.

edit: you didn't accidentally turn on the TPU switch or whatever, did you? Check your mobo manual.

Burnburn

It feels like it should be something simple because it was working beforehand. Did you remove anything from the motherboard when you worked on it? Did you take the CPU out at any point? Have you tried the steps in this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems?

A nice picture or two could go a long way, if you could provide one.

edit: you didn't accidentally turn on the TPU switch or whatever, did you? Check your mobo manual.

Well, I hadn't cleaned the system in a while, so some things (even when pressing the hinges) were stuck on pretty well. Thanks to that I was a little rough on the mobo and I think I might have damaged something. The only things I took out of the mobo were the GPU and the cables. I did remove the mobo from it's case though (still with the cpu and ram in the slots). And after the CPU led lit up I've taken out everything off the mobo.

I did everything in that link.

I checked the system and the manual, couldn't find a TPU switch and it doesn't mention a switch in the manual.

I'm not sure what I should make a picture off, just everything?

I really appreciate the help!

Edit: I did find online that there is a EPU switch somewhere, I'll look for that now

Well, I hadn't cleaned the system in a while, so some things (even when pressing the hinges) were stuck on pretty well. Thanks to that I was a little rough on the mobo and I think I might have damaged something. The only things I took out of the mobo were the GPU and the cables. I did remove the mobo from it's case though (still with the cpu and ram in the slots). And after the CPU led lit up I've taken out everything off the mobo.

I did everything in that link.

I checked the system and the manual, couldn't find a TPU switch and it doesn't mention a switch in the manual.

I'm not sure what I should make a picture off, just everything?

I really appreciate the help!

Yeah, just a picture of the inside of the case might help, the less blurry the better. I'm not sure how would you damage it though if you just removed the board and didn't obviously bend it or anything.

You may wish to try unplugging or removing all but the necessary stuff (mobo/psu/cpu/ram) and see if it does the same thing. I'm really scratching my head about this, though a picture might show something.

Burnburn

Yeah, just a picture of the inside of the case might help, the less blurry the better. I'm not sure how would you damage it though if you just removed the board and didn't obviously bend it or anything.

You may wish to try unplugging or removing all but the necessary stuff (mobo/psu/cpu/ram) and see if it does the same thing. I'm really scratching my head about this, though a picture might show something.

I have tried powering it up with only cpu, fan, mobo, psu and ram, got me the same thing.

Here are some pictures

I have tried powering it up with only cpu, fan, mobo, psu and ram, got me the same thing.

Here are some pictures

This probably is nothing, but the video card is hanging because you haven't screwed it in near the back end of the case. It puts pressure on the PCI-E slot.

Otherwise I'm really not sure. If you have another PSU you could try swapping them. Maybe other people will have some suggestions.

edit: and there's no way there's a loose screw somewhere shorting things out?

Burnburn

This probably is nothing, but the video card is hanging because you haven't screwed it in near the back end of the case. It puts pressure on the PCI-E slot.

Otherwise I'm really not sure. If you have another PSU you could try swapping them. Maybe other people will have some suggestions.

edit: and there's no way there's a loose screw somewhere shorting things out?

Heh, yeah, not everything is on tight because I'm changing things around all the time and sometimes I forget some screws. I actually noticed it after taking pictures and it's already been taking care off.

I've already tried swapping out PSU's, same result.

I'm honestly not sure how to search for a loose screw in the system. I did have a loose screw in it, but I already retrieved that one and I don't think I dropped an other screw in it. But I'll check it out just to make sure.

Katoki

I have a Gigabyte 760 that just decides to go ape one day. I had cleaned out my brother's case and pulled out that card to clean the fan blades and it works for a week after that. Now it looks like it gets stuck in POST or something where everything spins 100% for a moment with no video output. Brother doesn't even do much with the computer as of late besides watch twitch so I have the card pulled out so that the computer can be used regularly.

I also tried putting my 670 in his computer and it's okay whereas my computer with his 760 does the same 100% no video bit presumably in POST so I'd this something I can do much about or just contact Gigabyte? I'll have to look into when I ordered the card of course.

Replaced the heatsink, didn't work. Noticed it only did it when I was listening to sound. Apparently a sound card driver didn't install correctly. Had no fucking clue that could end a system like that lol. Fixed now (hopefully)

The hell? I never would have guessed that. Glad you figured it out though. :lol

Ashhong

Cross posting from the new pc thread..

I have been running a TP Link powerline adapter on my new desktop for a few months now with no problems. I recently upgraded our router from an old netgear to a new Dlink with dual band, gigabit ports, etc.

Ever since then my internet randomly goes out on the powerline and I dont have access to the network. No IP address, etc. If I reconnect the ethernet on the router it works again. Is this a faulty router? Faulty powerline? Some kind of compatibility issue?

Burnburn

I'm back with more problems, isn't that wonderfull?

So today I got my new motherboard and installed it. Of course again with some problems, since it seems like I have one of my most unlucky weeks ever. While trying to install the CPU fan, the locking mechanism breaks, so now the CPU fan is on the CPU loose.

Anyway, I just proceeded to assemble the PC with the CPU fan on it loose. So after it had been assembled I turned it on and it posts! Of course, my happiness wouldn't last long, since everytime during the "starting windows" screen the system gives me a blue screen. I made a picture of it, but I think it's a fairly regular screen. It just says that to prevent furthur damage the system powers itself down. Follow these steps, which it doesn't give.

So maybe it was the CPU?

I'm back with more problems, isn't that wonderfull?

So today I got my new motherboard and installed it. Of course again with some problems, since it seems like I have one of my most unlucky weeks ever. While trying to install the CPU fan, the locking mechanism breaks, so now the CPU fan is on the CPU loose.

Anyway, I just proceeded to assemble the PC with the CPU fan on it loose. So after it had been assembled I turned it on and it posts! Of course, my happiness wouldn't last long, since everytime during the "starting windows" screen the system gives me a blue screen. I made a picture of it, but I think it's a fairly regular screen. It just says that to prevent furthur damage the system powers itself down. Follow these steps, which it doesn't give.

So maybe it was the CPU?

If the cooler isn't set up right the CPU is probably overheating. Fix it before turning the system back on, you don't want to risk damaging the CPU.

BTW the bios will give you the CPU temp(s).

Burnburn

If the cooler isn't set up right the CPU is probably overheating. Fix it before turning the system back on, you don't want to risk damaging the CPU.

BTW the bios will give you the CPU temp(s).

Okay, I'll get a new clip thingy and then try again. I checked out the BIOS, CPU temps went like this: 38 - 35 - 32 and that repeated a few times until it went 39 - 36 - 33 and then 40 etc, this happened pretty fast. (I stopped at 40)

Seanspeed

Banned
Cross posting from the new pc thread..

I have been running a TP Link powerline adapter on my new desktop for a few months now with no problems. I recently upgraded our router from an old netgear to a new Dlink with dual band, gigabit ports, etc.

Ever since then my internet randomly goes out on the powerline and I dont have access to the network. No IP address, etc. If I reconnect the ethernet on the router it works again. Is this a faulty router? Faulty powerline? Some kind of compatibility issue?
Gonna ask the obvious here but have you ever tried running anything straight from the router and seeing if you get these cuts in connection? I would guess that its probably to do with your Powerline adapters, though. Have you paired them and secured them through the software? Check this out if you haven't:

http://www.tp-link.us/article/?faqid=258

As for my problem, I'm struggling with certain games that refuse to stay in fullscreen mode. Particularly Battlefield 4 and Assetto Corsa. Battlefield 4 will stay fullscreen for a short while then revert to windowed mode. If I press Shift+Enter and get back to Fullscreen, it will revert back to windowed mode after a short while. Its a bit infuriating. Assetto Corsa lasts in Fullscreen for all of 5-10 seconds and then permanently switches to a borderless windowed mode. I've encountered this problem with another game, but I forget which.

This isn't a problem other people are having with these games, so it sounds like something wrong with my setup. Any clues?

Okay, I'll get a new clip thingy and then try again. I checked out the BIOS, CPU temps went like this: 38 - 35 - 32 and that repeated a few times until it went 39 - 36 - 33 and then 40 etc, this happened pretty fast. (I stopped at 40)

In that case the temps are fine. You're not overclocked or anything are you? That can lead to system instability.

Might just be a software issue as well. Might need to reinstall your OS, not sure. If you post the error message from the BSOD then you/someone can google it and figure out what the issue probably is.

Well, the bluescreen gives me very little information

Indeed. Can you boot into safe mode?

Just be sure that your heatsink fan isn't going to fall off or anything, could be bad. :p

edit: is this the same board as your last motherboard? Could just be windows throwing a fit because you changed hardware, in which case try to clear out the old drivers in safe mode.

Burnburn

Indeed. Can you boot into safe mode?

Just be sure that your heatsink fan isn't going to fall off or anything, could be bad. :p

edit: is this the same board as your last motherboard? Could just be windows throwing a fit because you changed hardware, in which case try to clear out the old drivers in safe mode.

Heh, I'll make sure it doesn't fall off.

It's a different mobo. It also does not boot in safe mode, it gives me the same blue screen error.

I can usually figure out my computer issues but I'm stumped with this one. I have an Asus motherboard with built in audio and via HD audio deck. Randomly the right audio channel will cut out. I can't tell if it's a hardware issue or what. I don't know why it would work perfectly sometimes and others just not work at all.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
I can usually figure out my computer issues but I'm stumped with this one. I have an Asus motherboard with built in audio and via HD audio deck. Randomly the right audio channel will cut out. I can't tell if it's a hardware issue or what. I don't know why it would work perfectly sometimes and others just not work at all.

It's gonna sound silly but make sure everything is plugged in all the way.

If not, I'd go update/reinstall the audio drivers

Sami+

I've been having this issue for a few months - my PC would randomly shut off while in sleep mode (like a power failure or something), and would give me trouble when I try to turn it back on. I'll see the GIGABYTE splash screen, and the loading indicator will either freeze or do it's thing normally. Most of the time it freezes, and the only way to get to my OS is to just restart it every time it froze until I could finally get it to push through. It was odd, but it only wasted a couple of minutes of my time so I didn't bother fixing it for a while.

Yesterday, I decided enough was enough and read up a bit online. Someone suggested to a dude having a similar problem to update his BIOS, so I did that. After updating, I boot it up normally to see it do its thing in a single try, no trouble at all. Computer worked like normal all day long. So that night I put it to sleep, only to be woken up by the damn thing numerous times overnight as it reset itself for no reason. So I try starting it up today to see the exact same fucking problem, only slightly different. Instead of freezing on the loading icon, it'll get past that and then just shut off during the black screen between that and the OS. This happened before but not this often.

Trying to run a diagnostic repair doesn't work because it shuts off while diagnosing the issue, every time. I used to be able to just hit "continue to windows 8.1 normally" and it'd work fine from there, but that's not working now for some reason.

Recorded a video - http://youtu.be/79D15FYoe7w

I'm using a GIGABYTE Z97X-UD3H with an Intel Core i5 (the one that came out in July/August of this year)

Zoe

We haven't used our HTPC (really an old laptop) in about a month because our old TV broke. We hooked up the new one today and now all video content can barely play, from HD rips to online streams. Videos play fine on the laptop by itself.

Where do we start in trying to fix this?

Top Bottom