• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

So it appears I've managed to unlock doorstop mode on my computer. When I press the power button it does nothing. No light, no fan, nothing on the screen. I've checked to make sure it is plugged in. I still get the standby light on the monitor, so I knew that had power, so I switched the outlets for the computer and moniter. Still nothing on the computer, and I still get a light on the monitor, so I know it is getting power.

There's this front panel on my computer. I took that off so I could get to the "real" power button. Still nothing. I opened up the box and made sure that the cord from the power button to the motherboard is good. Didn't help. The power supply still has a light on, and there is still a light on the motherboard, which I assume means that it is getting power from the power supply. The cord from the power supply to my motherboard looks fine. So I think my motherboard is dead.

Last night I was using it as normal, no signs of any trouble. I powered it off as normal and didn't touch it until I powered it back on. I haven't opened it up or anything for a few months. It is on a surge protector and there was no lightning or anything last night as far as I know. Plus the monitor is on the same surge protector so it seem like a power surge should have killed it, too. There was no smell of burning or anything when I opened it up.

It is an old beast and I'm due for a replacement, but if you can think of anything that I missed that might fix it, even really simple things, that would help a lot. Otherwise...

Kaladin

Tech Support Gaf, I have an issue.

I built my PC back in January 2010 and it's finally starting to show some age. It runs hot at times and it runs loud. I have an Antec 900 case which does have a lot of fans, however it hasn't run this loud till the past few months. I cleaned out the dust and everything which helped a bit with the heat issue, but the fans still run loud. I've tried SpeedFan for controlling the fans and simply turning them down, but it only works for one of the many fans on the case.

Anyone have any idea of what it could be? It has run fine till this issue, and it runs fine otherwise. I just want my PC to be quiet again.

Tech Support Gaf, I have an issue.

I built my PC back in January 2010 and it's finally starting to show some age. It runs hot at times and it runs loud. I have an Antec 900 case which does have a lot of fans, however it hasn't run this loud till the past few months. I cleaned out the dust and everything which helped a bit with the heat issue, but the fans still run loud. I've tried SpeedFan for controlling the fans and simply turning them down, but it only works for one of the many fans on the case.

Anyone have any idea of what it could be? It has run fine till this issue, and it runs fine otherwise. I just want my PC to be quiet again.

Do you know it's specifically the case fans that are running loud? Not the GPU or CPU fan?

woodland

I could use some help too ;c.

About a month ago I reinstalled OS X on my Macbook Pro and also installed a windows partition with Win7. Since then, the Windows partition has worked like a charm and for the most part, OS X has too.

Unfortunately, I can't connect to my schools network on OS X. At least, not the secured one. I can connect to the public one and the guest, but even attempting to connect to the secured wifi network gives me a "cannot connect to this network"-esque error message.

Any ideas?

Kaladin

I could use some help too ;c.

About a month ago I reinstalled OS X on my Macbook Pro and also installed a windows partition with Win7. Since then, the Windows partition has worked like a charm and for the most part, OS X has too.

Unfortunately, I can't connect to my schools network on OS X. At least, not the secured one. I can connect to the public one and the guest, but even attempting to connect to the secured wifi network gives me a "cannot connect to this network"-esque error message.

Any ideas?

Sounds like an issue for your school's IT department.

HELP ME GAF and I will give you the money I had been saving for a dowry.

Last week my computer (Win7 64-bit) has had trouble coming out of sleep mode, and then freezing at the boot screen. A cold holding of the power switch then turning it back on will eventually make it go through, but it's a reoccuring problem.

While backing up my hard drive, I noticed my HDD wasn't recognized by my USB 3.0 port. Investigating further, I noticed in device manager that 'Asmedia XHCI Controller' has an exclamation mark next to it, and is returning a "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)" error message.

While investigating further or trying to update the driver for it, I've been getting periodic BSODs, and 'WhoCrashed' all point to astxhci.sys causing them. When my computer freezes on boot, WhoCrashed also points to that as the culprit.

It's been 2.5 years since I did a clean install, but I'm worried that since the drivers are updated and its tied to hardware, if this'll still persist afterwards. Or for that matter, if this is even the actual problem.

Here is a screenshot that probably doesn't contain anything useful

usb30_zpsb30ff0fe.png

Please help!

HELP ME GAF and I will give you the money I had been saving for a dowry.

Last week my computer (Win7 64-bit) has had trouble coming out of sleep mode, and then freezing at the boot screen. A cold holding of the power switch then turning it back on will eventually make it go through, but it's a reoccuring problem.

While backing up my hard drive, I noticed my HDD wasn't recognized by my USB 3.0 port. Investigating further, I noticed in device manager that 'Asmedia XHCI Controller' has an exclamation mark next to it, and is returning a "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)" error message.

While investigating further or trying to update the driver for it, I've been getting periodic BSODs, and 'WhoCrashed' all point to astxhci.sys causing them. When my computer freezes on boot, WhoCrashed also points to that as the culprit.

It's been 2.5 years since I did a clean install, but I'm worried that since the drivers are updated and its tied to hardware, if this'll still persist afterwards. Or for that matter, if this is even the actual problem.

Here is a screenshot that probably doesn't contain anything useful

usb30_zpsb30ff0fe.png

Please help!

What motherboard do you have?

ev0

Hi GAF smart people, need some help-

I fell asleep with the computer on last night with music on. I woke up this morning and heard that sound that computers make when they freeze while playing sound. And that's what happened.

However when I turned the monitor back on (it's connected HDMI to DVI convertor) there was a blank screen. So I restarted the comp.

I see the mobo screen, all the way to the windows screen but then the monitor blanks right before login. I tried it in safe mode too and same result.

Any ideas how to fix this? I didn't get to look too hard b/c I had to go to work, but this is a kind of issue that seems beyond me.
This is an oldish computer- 2008, and I've never had this issue before and my room is currently freezing because of the weather so the temps seemed fine.

Thanks!

Try reinstalling the asmedia driver: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3/?cat=Download&os=Win764

Do you use Kaspersky? I saw a report of someone having a conflict there.

I think it's probably just a driver problem. Try the above first and see what happens.
So I went to go check on my driver version in device manager, and accidentally clicked "details" for the xHCI controller and got a BSOD.

I booted into safe mode to see if I could check it there, and the windows yellow exclamation mark was no longer marked on the device. I was able to check the driver information and it's a newer one than the one you linked.

I did notice a new entry in the device manager list, a "USB root hub" whose location was marked as "on ASMedia xHCI Controller" (the original entry that was giving me guff).

With one problem swapped out for another, I rebooted normally (no freezing), and the status of device manager surprisingly stayed the same - no exclamation mark on the xHCI controller, but an exclamation on the new "USB root hub."

I tested the 3.0 ports and they didn't recognize my HDD, but I'm willing to live without them if I get full stability back.

Put the computer into sleep mode to test it, and it froze upon trying to wake it. WhoCrashed lists asmtxhci.sys as the culprit, and the device manager is back to a yellow exclamation mark for the xHCI controller, and the USB root hub disappeared.

So, I'm thinking maybe I boot into safe mode and uninstall the xHCI media controller? Then when I restart normally I get the chance to run the driver installation program again? Chances of something going wrong are pretty slim on that, right?

Also I don't use Kaspersky. Wish it were that simple a fix!

Druz

Hey guys, I HEARD YOU'RE GOOD WITH COMPUTERZ.

For anyone that has had experiences with the Zenbook. I seem to find a lot of similar experiences online but no solutions.

This is the machine in question.

Long story short, I was using the computer at school, the charge was low and the battery died. I went home, plugged it in, and no screen. The power button is lit up, the battery indicator on the side of the unit comes on when plugged in, but nothing else. It has been "charging'" for quite some time now. The unit is undamaged, has never experienced any drops, and is about three weeks old.

I've called tech support and did all the obvious troubleshooting tips, power cycling and whatnot. Has anyone had this experience before? I can't really wait 5-7 business days (which we know will be longer) to get this fixed.

I found this solution but I'm afraid of breaking something. Otherwise, I'll send it in.

No removable battery? Unplug the cord. Hold the power button for 20 seconds, plug back in... try again. No real activity can mean the motherboard is shot.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm at a complete loss here.

Was enjoying Alien: Isolation on PC. Bought a new TV, changed nothing else!

Now the game looks like this:

http://youtu.be/4fX8gO4s8F4

No in-game setting seems to affect it. Same with changing settings on the TV. New drivers didn't do it either.

650GTX
8GB
i5 @ 3.3Ghz

Help!

So I went to go check on my driver version in device manager, and accidentally clicked "details" for the xHCI controller and got a BSOD.

I booted into safe mode to see if I could check it there, and the windows yellow exclamation mark was no longer marked on the device. I was able to check the driver information and it's a newer one than the one you linked.

I did notice a new entry in the device manager list, a "USB root hub" whose location was marked as "on ASMedia xHCI Controller" (the original entry that was giving me guff).

With one problem swapped out for another, I rebooted normally (no freezing), and the status of device manager surprisingly stayed the same - no exclamation mark on the xHCI controller, but an exclamation on the new "USB root hub."

I tested the 3.0 ports and they didn't recognize my HDD, but I'm willing to live without them if I get full stability back.

Put the computer into sleep mode to test it, and it froze upon trying to wake it. WhoCrashed lists asmtxhci.sys as the culprit, and the device manager is back to a yellow exclamation mark for the xHCI controller, and the USB root hub disappeared.

So, I'm thinking maybe I boot into safe mode and uninstall the xHCI media controller? Then when I restart normally I get the chance to run the driver installation program again? Chances of something going wrong are pretty slim on that, right?

Also I don't use Kaspersky. Wish it were that simple a fix!

Newer driver than the one on the website? If I were you I would install the one from ASRock, in case there's some weird compatibility issue. I don't know where your driver came from, maybe Windows updated it for you or something.

Yeah your plan seems fine, give it a shot? Of course when messing around with stuff like this, if you have important data on your computer you should always back it up first... cause ya never know.

Joni

I have a USB stick that seems completely dead. It doesn't even show up in diskmgmt.msc, but the light still burns. I'm sure the port I'm plugging into still works, the stick is dead on all computers. So, I have to accept it is gone or is there still some simple thing I can try? It is a 32 GB stick, so it sucks it is dead. Can't read the brand anymore (something like T.....DATA but I think it might be a Sigma brand)

I installed Windows 8 pro from buying it off a gafer. It installed fine, but Windows doesn't want to install updates for some reason. It gives me failure to configure, reverting.

I can't get 8.1 unless I get these updates which it's not letting me.

Apt101

I installed Windows 8 pro from buying it off a gafer. It installed fine, but Windows doesn't want to install updates for some reason. It gives me failure to configure, reverting.

I can't get 8.1 unless I get these updates which it's not letting me.

Hold down Start Menu key + R. type in cmd. Do a sfc /scannow

All new Windows builds install and maintain themselves from an image and combination of files from the store, or winsxs directory. That will check for problems and fix them.

If that doesn't work do the Windows key + R again, type in net stop wuauserv. Then delete the contents of C:\Windows\Softwaredistribution (not the folder, all of the contents). Then Windows key + R again, net start wuauserv. Try Windows Update again.

If that still doesn't work, does a Windows key + E to bring up Explorer. Right-click the C:\ drive and goto properties. Click the Disk Cleanup button. When it finishes look for a Windows Update Cleanup or somesuch, check mark it, and let it do its thing. Then repeat all steps.

If that doesn't work do a Windows key + R again, type in eventvwr, and browse the Application and System logs. Look for warnings or errors that seem related. Post them here.

Zombine

Banned
So I'm pretty lost right now and it's irritating me because I'm so close when it comes to building my rig.

I would say that I am about 80% done building it, but I have absolutely no idea what wires to use to install and connect my sata/data drives and CD drive to my Z97X-SLI. This is my first build ever, so some of the wires look samey to me, and I just don't know where to connect these things.

It's such a stupid thing to be hung up on, but I can't find a great guide that doesn't skip this process or slightly skims over it as "matter of fact" Instead of slowing the process down. When you have a ton of wires in front of you, things get a bit overwhelming. Even more so I think having a modular M12 II.

I'm willing to take and post pictures if necessary.

So I'm pretty lost right now and it's irritating me because I'm so close when it comes to building my rig.

I would say that I am about 80% done building it, but I have absolutely no idea what wires to use to install and connect my sata/data drives and CD drive to my Z97X-SLI. This is my first build ever, so some of the wires look samey to me, and I just don't know where to connect these things.

It's such a stupid thing to be hung up on, but I can't find a great guide that doesn't skip this process or slightly skims over it as "matter of fact" Instead of slowing the process down. When you have a ton of wires in front of you, things get a bit overwhelming. Even more so I think having a modular M12 II.

Have you read your motherboard's manual? It shows you where to connect the cables. You want to use your disk drives and cd drive with SATA cables. They're usually stamped with "SATA" on the side of the cable in fine white printing. Your motherboard probably came with SATA cables, so if you check the manual it should help you identify them.

Your PSU will have the SATA power cables, usually marked, otherwise check the instruction booklet that came with your PSU.

accx

Sata Powercable looks roughly like this
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/sataindex.jpg

And the other one connecting from your motherboard to your sata drives looks like this.
http://edweb.tusd.k12.az.us/sandre/computers/sata.jpg

Colours do not matter.

EDIT:
Oh and yea, i highly suggest reading through the manual from start to finish.

Hold down Start Menu key + R. type in cmd. Do a sfc /scannow

All new Windows builds install and maintain themselves from an image and combination of files from the store, or winsxs directory. That will check for problems and fix them.

If that doesn't work do the Windows key + R again, type in net stop wuauserv. Then delete the contents of C:\Windows\Softwaredistribution (not the folder, all of the contents). Then Windows key + R again, net start wuauserv. Try Windows Update again.

If that still doesn't work, does a Windows key + E to bring up Explorer. Right-click the C:\ drive and goto properties. Click the Disk Cleanup button. When it finishes look for a Windows Update Cleanup or somesuch, check mark it, and let it do its thing. Then repeat all steps.

If that doesn't work do a Windows key + R again, type in eventvwr, and browse the Application and System logs. Look for warnings or errors that seem related. Post them here.

Thank you for the response. The first two things let me download and install some updates. It got most of them, but there's still a bunch that still give me failure configure errors. I'll keep trying and update later on. Thanks again man, I appreciate it.

Apt101

Thank you for the response. The first two things let me download and install some updates. It got most of them, but there's still a bunch that still give me failure configure errors. I'll keep trying and update later on. Thanks again man, I appreciate it.

No problem. What the errors, and did you check the logs? You may just need to cleanup .NET and reinstall, or reinstall some VC++ libraries/runtimes or something. In my experience having to patch thousands of servers a month, those are the two biggies.

Edit: I would also advise repairing the Windows Installer, but I'd hold off until I know what errors you're getting. Sometimes repairing the Installer can go awry, so I wouldn't advise it unless I knew that was the problem. Consider downloading the problem updates individually, uninstalling anti virus, and installing them one at time. SOmetimes you'll get more precise error reporting that way. I advise uninstalling AV and not just disabling it, because they have kernel mode/filtering drivers that can still cause problems even if the AV itself is disabled.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
i need some assistance. norton antivirus ran out for my and im looking to get it again but im curious to see if anti malware bytes is better or some other software out there that does live scans and actively protects my PC. does anyone have any suggestions?

Bleepey

i need some assistance. norton antivirus ran out for my and im looking to get it again but im curious to see if anti malware bytes is better or some other software out there that does live scans and actively protects my PC. does anyone have any suggestions?

Malware bytes finds stuff other programs miss. I love it.

Zombine

Banned
Solved the issue which haulted my PC building; I was stiffed a sata cable and it made me think I was the problem.

Long story short, my buddy got me a new one, he finished the final 30% of my build with me, and it boots.

Yay!

One issue...I just went to open the cd drive to install windows, and the thing won't work. I press the button and the green light comes on, but nothing happens. It was making this spinning noise at first, but now it won't even do that. It just turns green and nothing happens.

accx

Solved the issue which haulted my PC building; I was stiffed a sata cable and it made me think I was the problem.

Long story short, my buddy got me a new one, he finished the final 30% of my build with me, and it boots.

Yay!

One issue...I just went to open the cd drive to install windows, and the thing won't work. I press the button and the green light comes on, but nothing happens. It was making this spinning noise at first, but now it won't even do that. It just turns green and nothing happens.

You can force open a cd drive. there should be a tiny hole next to the button i believe.
What you could do.. Turn off the computer, insert something small (paperclip perhaps?) and open it up, insert the install cd, force the drive back to its place and start up.
Just be careful. Check BIOS for boot options.
Otherwise, just get someone to make you a bootable usb drive. Windows own usb tool is fine.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

EDIT:
I updated Windwos 8 and now whenever I upload the browser crashes. What can i do to fix this. Nothing online works

You should be able to roll back before you did the update. Or did you update from Win 7 to Win 8? If so, i'd do a clean install if that's an option.
Usually Windows makes a shadow copy before it installs updates. Look after Restore Options. IIRC it's Control Panel -> System -> System Protection -> System Restore.

Zombine

Banned
You can force open a cd drive. there should be a tiny hole next to the button i believe.
What you could do.. Turn off the computer, insert something small (paperclip perhaps?) and open it up, insert the install cd, force the drive back to its place and start up.
Just be careful. Check BIOS for boot options.
Otherwise, just get someone to make you a bootable usb drive. Windows own usb tool is fine.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Thank you! I did exactly that before I left for work today. Now that I have it open, should I install Windows 8 first? And once I get the CD driver installed, can I expect it to work properly, or is it busted?

accx

Thank you! I did exactly that before I left for work today. Now that I have it open, should I install Windows 8 first? And once I get the CD driver installed, can I expect it to work properly, or is it busted?

Honestly i don't know. If you can, install Windows 8 :).
There's been BIOS updates for several new motherboards that fixes a myriad of things.
Maybe it's something simple like that?

If you can, try inserting your win 8 dvd and try booting from it. If it fails somewhere in the install or whenever, it's busted.

Otherwise, just get a friend to make you a usb stick with win 8 and install from there.

If your cd/dvd drive doesn't work in a windows environment or linux environment i would think it's busted, yes.

EDIT:
To clarify, you do not need any special driver for your cd/dvd drive to work at all. it's all integrated now a days.. The only time you need cd/dvd driver is perhaps when you load the old DOS..

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
So I got an upgrade for my computer, a PowerColor Radeon 7950.

The problem is, whenever I try and update/install drivers other than the basic windows drivers, I get blue vertical artifacts and lines covering my screen. Imagine a blue screen, but vertical lines and artifacts from left to right.

I've tried wiping all display drivers from my computer and Reinstalling latest drivers from both PowerColor (a few versions behind) and AMD. Not at the same time of course, separately. I've updated my motherboard BIOs since I read somewhere online that could be an issue. I've also made sure both PCI-E connectors for power were connected properly. I even used a different set in case maybe the cables were bad.

Right now though, nothing works. I can use my computer in Safe Mode or by wiping all the graphics drivers and not installing any updated ones, but I want to play games.

If I remove the card and plug in an older GPU, it works flawlessly.

Please help!

potam

Banned
So I got an upgrade for my computer, a PowerColor Radeon 7950.

The problem is, whenever I try and update/install drivers other than the basic windows drivers, I get blue vertical artifacts and lines covering my screen. Imagine a blue screen, but vertical lines and artifacts from left to right.

I've tried wiping all display drivers from my computer and Reinstalling latest drivers from both PowerColor (a few versions behind) and AMD. Not at the same time of course, separately. I've updated my motherboard BIOs since I read somewhere online that could be an issue. I've also made sure both PCI-E connectors for power were connected properly. I even used a different set in case maybe the cables were bad.

Right now though, nothing works. I can use my computer in Safe Mode or by wiping all the graphics drivers and not installing any updated ones, but I want to play games.

If I remove the card and plug in an older GPU, it works flawlessly.

Please help!

Have you tried using a program to wipe the drivers, or have you been doing it manually?

Try this: http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member

potam

Banned
I've been using the tool that's described in this post (note it works (or should) with NVIDIA/AMD/INTEL): https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ls-ddu-gmp-tdr-manupulator-updated-11-21-14-/

Edit: Just noticed it's actually the updated version of driver sweeper

yeah DDU is good (actually the one I was looking for, but I just used the first link that popped up for me). I'm at a loss, then. If it were me I'd try tossing it into another PCI-E slot just to make sure that's not causing any funkiness.

Only thing left that I can recommend is posting on some of the enthusiast PC forums. They might be able to help you out a bit more.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
yeah DDU is good (actually the one I was looking for, but I just used the first link that popped up for me). I'm at a loss, then. If it were me I'd try tossing it into another PCI-E slot just to make sure that's not causing any funkiness.

Only thing left that I can recommend is posting on some of the enthusiast PC forums. They might be able to help you out a bit more.

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that as well. I also tried all of my other PCI-E slots and I still got the same results. Even tried different outputs (DVI,HDMI).

Thanks for the effort!

Anustart

Is there anyway to change the color of the scroll bar in firefox? The damn thing is like 1 shade different than its background and impossible to find.

Hey GAF,

I'm running Windows 8 and have been trying to perform a system restore. Everytime I've tried, the process has failed due to some files which Avast has locked (I'm currently running the paid for version).

I've tried disabling Avast then restoring. I've tried restoring from safe mode. I've tried restoring from the boot menu, but all have failed.

Is uninstalling Avast going to be the only way to get around this, or does anyone have any recommendation?

I'm looking for a good antivirus for my Dell Venue 11 Pro.

I'm curious, can A/V applications make a big impact on battery life w/ regards to laptops/tablets?

Normally I'd just install Avast! but I've heard that there's been compatibility issues with the November Windows update which I've already installed.

wanders

I have been trying to connect my TV to my RX-V367 audio receiver but none of the devices that I connect on the input of the receiver play video or audio. Nothing seems to work and I have tried everything. I dont know where else to look as there isn't alot I can find online.

Thanks in advance gaf

Zombine

Banned
Every time I get one step closer to getting to use this thing, I get hit with a stupid issue. After I got my disc drive open, I can't seem to get any connection to my monitors. After taking it to my buddy's computer repair shop, he checked my work and saw that I did awesome. Nothing crazy stupid, he was getting good readings from it, everything is on and glowing...but I have no video output. I'm seriously confused as to what is left.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
Every time I get one step closer to getting to use this thing, I get hit with a stupid issue. After I got my disc drive open, I can't seem to get any connection to my monitors. After taking it to my buddy's computer repair shop, he checked my work and saw that I did awesome. Nothing crazy stupid, he was getting good readings from it, everything is on and glowing...but I have no video output. I'm seriously confused as to what is left.

Does anything display while being connected to your motherboard's ports? If yes, check the BIOs. There is a setting that states which display to use: Onboard or PCI-E.

Ifrit

What's the best way to troubleshoot an old computer that just shuts down unexpectedly?

I know it could be hardware related, is there any software I could use to detect the problem?

What's the best way to troubleshoot an old computer that just shuts down unexpectedly?

I know it could be hardware related, is there any software I could use to detect the problem?

I would probably start with a test of the computers memory. Use software like memtest86. If it is not a memory problem, it will be a bit harder to diagnose. Often I will take most of the computer apart, and add parts back to it until I can find the issue.

Top Bottom