• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

CrankyJay

Banned
Almost had to post in this thread this morning. Was vacuuming out the vents and insides of my PC. Plugged it back in and the VGA LED on my mobo went solid red and no video was going to my monitors. I freaked out thinking I fried the video card.

After reseating the card it worked tho. Phew.

Village

OK could you all help me with my issue

SO i bought this laptop from bestbuy a few years ago, recently it started saying that my windows was not genuine. So then I started clicking activate windows, every time I booteed up the thing, now clicking activate eindows does not work anymore. And the error pops back up

How do I fix this? Because from what I understand if I don't soon I wont be able to log into my computer with out wiping everything on it and just restarting

Alright guys here's one for you that has stumped me:

The ctrl f function in Chrome works, but you can't see the search box appear in the top right corner. I have already tried reinstalling chrome and updating flash, as well as removing extensions.

Any suggestions?

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I'm downloading some things
*cough*torrents*cough*
and my download speed is at 0b/s. I can still access the internet, but I just don't have any download speed. When I run diagnostics on my internet, it said something about my DNS not working.

Help!

Ya no

Alright guys here's one for you that has stumped me:

The ctrl f function in Chrome works, but you can't see the search box appear in the top right corner. I have already tried reinstalling chrome and updating flash, as well as removing extensions.

Any suggestions?

This happened to a friend yesterday (similar problem at least) and some google found this suggestion:

put this where the url goes:

chrome://settings/search#accel

Deselect the option - Use hardware acceleration when available

If that doesn't help reselect the option

I have a question now for you guys. In windows event viewer it shows a random login and logout about every hour and a half through the middle of the night. The computer can be remotely accessed, but the person that does wouldn't be doing it in the middle of the night. It struck me as weird that it occurred at a fairly constant interval. Any ideas?

RedSwirl

So what's the best way to deal with being forced to connect computers through Wi-Fi when they're separated from the router (and modem) by a whole floor?

No matter how I work it the Wi-Fi computers only seem to get a fraction of the network's total speed. Right now my speed is 30Mbps, but Wi-Fi cuts it down to around 6Mbps. Is that just how it has to be in this situation?

I'm having an issue with my PC.

A few days ago I put my computer into sleep mode for about 2 hours, and when I wanted to get back on the computer I moved the mouse around to get it out of sleep mode. So it's starting up as usual, but before anything can load on the screen it just shuts down, only to try to start back up again a few seconds later, repeating the process over and over again. I don't even have enough time to go into the BIOS because the startup doesn't last long enough for the keyboard to turn on.
I noticed that whenever this happens, the MemOK LED that indicates an error with the DRAM flashes just before it shuts down. So I reseated the RAM and toggled with the RAM overclocking switch. After doing this I was able to bring up the BIOS, and after a few minutes Windows was able to start up as well; thinking that I fixed the problem, I shut it down properly and restarted it just to make sure that everything is all right. At this point the computer will just power up, but nothing is displayed onscreen and the keyboard isn't active.

Fast forward to today, I tried to turn it on again in hopes that I could do something and I was able to get into the BIOS and start up windows, but it shut down before I could get into the login screen. Now it's gone back to turning on for a few seconds and shutting down quickly like before.

I'm using an ASUS Z97-A motherboard and have 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM cards if that helps.

I'm on T-Mobile with an Unlimited Plan, but 2.5GB Hotspot. Is there a way to have Unlimited Hotpsot? I want to use my future iPad without being limited by the Hotspot cap.

So i have been getting BSOD 0x00000124 lately, i think its caused by my GFX card(HD6870 by XFX) and it happens at random. It can happen anywhere from 2 days till 7 days, doesn't matter if the GPU is running at full load or barely any.

This started happening ever since i cleaned out my PC from the inside and i am afraid i damaged or broke something inside. But before i start looking inside the pc, i thought to ask GAF for advice cause maybe its software related and it has nothing to do with hardware. I looked up the error code but it says it can be basicly anything.

So i have been getting BSOD 0x00000124 lately, i think its caused by my GFX card(HD6870 by XFX) and it happens at random. It can happen anywhere from 2 days till 7 days, doesn't matter if the GPU is running at full load or barely any.

This started happening ever since i cleaned out my PC from the inside and i am afraid i damaged or broke something inside. But before i start looking inside the pc, i thought to ask GAF for advice cause maybe its software related and it has nothing to do with hardware. I looked up the error code but it says it can be basicly anything.

Anything overclocked?

GPU isn't overlocked just standard value of 900mhz by 1050

I think my cpu(i5 2500K) is acting up though because it says 1.6 idle and 4.3 under load while i put everything back to default(3.3) in the bios.

Did you save the settings in the BIOS when you exited? Where are you measuring the cpu frequency? Try using CPU-Z. Reset to defaults, save and exit, and then check the CPU-Z frequency under some simple load.

What is the multiplier?

Don't use any OC tool, if you're going to OC do it manually with some caution and knowledge. It's probably why your system is unstable.

I think i fixed it for some reason turbo mode is default so when i reset to default it went to turbo. So i went into advanced checked some of the option and one said auto apparently that limits the cpu to the max of 3.7 that is recommended by intel. It stays around 3.4/3.5 at the most now with 75% load. I hope this fixes the issue. Thank you for the help.

Guess i learned my lesson not to use an overclock tool that comes with the motherboard or any overclock tool.

Salamando

My Windows 7 machine broke today, looking for any input.

On startup, it gets to the switly-lights that make the windows logo. However instead of going to the login screen, it simply restarts. All the monitor shows is the "No Input" message.

Started when I tried running World of Warcraft earlier. Sound came through fine, but the screen was frozen in a distorted mess. Tried alt+f4, ctrl+alt+del, everything. Waited ten minutes, but it was still frozen, so I force powered it down. When trying to restart, it began doing the automatic restart as soon as it should be getting to the login screen.

I can boot into safe mode. Ran anti-virus, nothing wrong. Booted through my Windows 7 dvd, ran both the startup repair option and system restore, but neither worked. Thoughts?

I think i fixed it for some reason turbo mode is default so when i reset to default it went to turbo. So i went into advanced checked some of the option and one said auto apparently that limits the cpu to the max of 3.7 that is recommended by intel. It stays around 3.4/3.5 at the most now with 75% load. I hope this fixes the issue. Thank you for the help.

Guess i learned my lesson not to use an overclock tool that comes with the motherboard or any overclock tool.

Glad you got it sorted! And yeah, never trust any auto-OC tool IMHO. Too easy for shit to go wrong.

stryke

For some reason Firefox doesn't display gametrailers properly -

ohXJGWF.png

Is there a way to fix this?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
When I click on a PDF link on a website in Chrome, it automatically saves the file instead of just opening it up in another tab like every other browser. What gives? Is there not a way to just open these types of files instead of downloading them?

Ya no

When I click on a PDF link on a website in Chrome, it automatically saves the file instead of just opening it up in another tab like every other browser. What gives? Is there not a way to just open these types of files instead of downloading them?

Will it work if you press ctrl when you click the link?

EDIT: also check chrome:plugins and see if pdf viewer is enabled. Just type chrome:plugins into your browser

finally found this thread
copied over:
i think my graphics card died in the middle of a game. whats the proper procedure of trouble shooting?

was playing league, screen went all "matrix-y" like with all kinds of lines and stuff. then blue screened.

then it reboots only as far as the windows logo and i have 2 fuzzy bars left and right of it. it then crashes and reboots again

i think its a sign that i should stop playing league

would a simple fix be, go buy another graphics card

Joe

laptop keyboard issues:

Dell Inspiron 1121, 11z

Turned my laptop off for the weekend, everything was fine, I really had no issues at all.

Booted it back up Monday and I'm having serious keyboard issues.

It will type just fine for a few minutes then lag behind HARD, or not work at all for anywhere from 5 seconds to 45 seconds.

It's like there is a big process in the background just sucking up all the resources...

In one instance the Control key was stuck.

I've tried:
-unplugging all my peripherals
-limiting bootup apps to bare essentials
-checking my cpu temperature
-cleaning keyboard
-opened laptop to make sure the keyboard ribbon was nice and secure

I don't know if it matters but the touchpad stopped working full stop about 6 months ago.

Any suggestions? I don't have a USB keyboard to try on it unfortunately.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Google Drive (PC not web) is unable to connect on my mother's computer (it can to mine). Google recommends changing firewall rules for hosts and ports. I'm not sure how to do this. Logging into my D-Link router, here are some options I'm seeing:

VIRTUAL SERVER
The Virtual Server option allows you to define a single public port on your router for redirection to an internal LAN IP Address and Private LAN port if required. This feature is useful for hosting online services such as FTP or Web Servers.
PORT FORWARDING RULES :
This option is used to open multiple ports or a range of ports in your router and redirect data through those ports to a single PC on your network. This feature allows you to enter ports in various formats including, Port Ranges (100-150), Individual Ports (80, 68, 888), or Mixed (1020-5000, 689).
APPLICATION RULES
This option is used to open single or multiple ports on your router when the router senses data sent to the Internet on a "trigger" port or port range. Special Applications rules apply to all computers on your internal network.

esms

I'm having an issue with my PC.

A few days ago I put my computer into sleep mode for about 2 hours, and when I wanted to get back on the computer I moved the mouse around to get it out of sleep mode. So it's starting up as usual, but before anything can load on the screen it just shuts down, only to try to start back up again a few seconds later, repeating the process over and over again. I don't even have enough time to go into the BIOS because the startup doesn't last long enough for the keyboard to turn on.
I noticed that whenever this happens, the MemOK LED that indicates an error with the DRAM flashes just before it shuts down. So I reseated the RAM and toggled with the RAM overclocking switch. After doing this I was able to bring up the BIOS, and after a few minutes Windows was able to start up as well; thinking that I fixed the problem, I shut it down properly and restarted it just to make sure that everything is all right. At this point the computer will just power up, but nothing is displayed onscreen and the keyboard isn't active.

Fast forward to today, I tried to turn it on again in hopes that I could do something and I was able to get into the BIOS and start up windows, but it shut down before I could get into the login screen. Now it's gone back to turning on for a few seconds and shutting down quickly like before.

I'm using an ASUS Z97-A motherboard and have 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM cards if that helps.

I'm currently experiencing an issue that is extremely similar to this. I've been so frustrated by it that I've just let my computer sit for weeks.

I think it may be related to graphics card drivers (at least in my case), but I haven't gotten around to starting up the computer because I don't wanna get pissed all over again at my troubleshooting skills.

For my benefit, and perhaps yours, you could check in event viewer to see if there is a notable entry that happens right at the time of the crashes. I believe my error was ACEventLogSource or something like that.

I have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 x64 and I am experiencing unresponsive mouse lag in Dota 2 when I click drag or use my side buttons. The mouse is a Zowie FK1. The mouse is plugged directly into the motherboard via USB.

I have tried applying some of the patches listed but when I download it the standalone Windows Update (KB2908279) says it is not for my system.

PS. Having TechSupportGAF as one word makes this thread harder to find via search

V-sync is off, and I have disabled mouse precision in the control panel. Compatibility mode for Windows 8 with DPI scaling (in compatibility) does not seem to work as some suggested.

DOWN

Banned
My Xbox One won't connect to my University internet. I've registered it, just like I did for my Ps3, 360, Mac, and PS4 with smooth results. I tried to share the connection from my Mac with no luck and then tried to share my Mac via wi-fi and still nothing. Had to update the One via tethering. Any ideas?

EDIT: Jk it fixed itself over a few hours of tinkering.

For some reason all 3 of my mouse's buttons are frequently double clicking when I single click and drag-and-dropping is nearly impossible because my left mouse will rarely hold a click long enough. At first I assumed it was a hardware issue but I then I switched to another mouse and I still had this problem. I'm thinking it's a software issue. I tried googling the problem but found nothing specific to my issue.

I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit btw.

Coreda

For some reason Firefox doesn't display gametrailers properly -

ohXJGWF.png

Is there a way to fix this?

Dat Keighley face. You probably have NoScript installed and need to allow gametrailers.com for the Javascript to do it's thing (if you have it installed click the 'S' addon icon), as I can't see why else it would be broken like that.

Megasoum

Banned
I have a feeling that one of my HDD is about to die... What is the best tool nowadays to test the drive and see how it's doing?

Gambit61

Anyone know what could be causing this on my HDTV? I get some weird, real time color inverted copy of the bottom of the screen displayed over the top of the picture. I thought it might be the TCon board but swapping in a new one didn't fix it.

Okay Neogaf, I need your help.

I have one of these things:
220px-Appletimecapsule.jpg

There was giant folder on it with a ton of stuff. And I deleted it.

I know. Facepalm. Believe me I'm not happy. I have a backup but it's about 5 months old and I REALLY don't want to use it.

But wait! It's just a simple delete, not a reformat or anything, and I haven't touched the drive since I deleted the folder. So I should be able to use an undelete program, right?

The problem is that this is very much an Apple product. It only connects over wifi—either smb or afp. And none of the undelete programs will work over those protocols.

What do I do?

I'm currently experiencing an issue that is extremely similar to this. I've been so frustrated by it that I've just let my computer sit for weeks.

I think it may be related to graphics card drivers (at least in my case), but I haven't gotten around to starting up the computer because I don't wanna get pissed all over again at my troubleshooting skills.

For my benefit, and perhaps yours, you could check in event viewer to see if there is a notable entry that happens right at the time of the crashes. I believe my error was ACEventLogSource or something like that.

I don't know if it's something to do with the GPU.

I tried booting it up with one RAM card, and Windows started up normally and ran the repair program. Everything looked good so I turned it off, put in the RAM card I took out, and booted it up again. Everything seemed to be working fine until it just randomly shut down/crashed a few hours later.
I started it back up again and ran the Memory Diagnostic Program, only 2% in and it said that there was a hardware error, but it shut down/crashed again before it could finish the diagnostic.

So yeah, now my PC is just sitting here too.

Anyone know of a good Beginners guide to Exchange 2010? Preferrably not written by MS.

I'm looking for something that explains what each server role does, and then maybe go into setting it up and maintaining it.

mug

Okay Neogaf, I need your help.

I have one of these things:
220px-Appletimecapsule.jpg

There was giant folder on it with a ton of stuff. And I deleted it.

I know. Facepalm. Believe me I'm not happy. I have a backup but it's about 5 months old and I REALLY don't want to use it.

But wait! It's just a simple delete, not a reformat or anything, and I haven't touched the drive since I deleted the folder. So I should be able to use an undelete program, right?

The problem is that this is very much an Apple product. It only connects over wifi—either smb or afp. And none of the undelete programs will work over those protocols.

What do I do?
Remove the HDD from the TimeCapsule? I'm sure you can get a USB enclosure to read the data directly.

I don't know if it's something to do with the GPU.

I tried booting it up with one RAM card, and Windows started up normally and ran the repair program. Everything looked good so I turned it off, put in the RAM card I took out, and booted it up again. Everything seemed to be working fine until it just randomly shut down/crashed a few hours later.
I started it back up again and ran the Memory Diagnostic Program, only 2% in and it said that there was a hardware error, but it shut down/crashed again before it could finish the diagnostic.

So yeah, now my PC is just sitting here too.

Sounds like one of the sticks is bad, try running memtest. Also, you mentioned something about a RAM overclocking button... check the bios, are you still overclocking the RAM? You don't want to do that if your'e having issues.

Ya no

I have a question that I haven't been able to find a good answer for... it may be obvious but I was looking for an explanation and thought maybe one of you guys could help.

Why would it be a problem if you had a web server that was connected to a remote port 80 or 443?

Hi GAF. I hope you can help.

I need to record a live stream on youtube this coming Sunday. Are there any free and safe programs to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Heysoos

Okay, so for some reason, when my Desktop is connected to the internet through ethernet websites take a lot longer than usual to load. On Chrome, when the website is loading it's just constantly showing Resolving Host.... However, when on Wifi, it loads pretty much instantly. Anyone know what it might be? I have the Netgear Nighthawk.

edit: fixed it. Somewhat. Did a system reset with Win8 and now it loads instantly. :shrug:

junker

Hey guys, I HEARD YOU'RE GOOD WITH COMPUTERZ.

For anyone that has had experiences with the Zenbook. I seem to find a lot of similar experiences online but no solutions.

This is the machine in question.

Long story short, I was using the computer at school, the charge was low and the battery died. I went home, plugged it in, and no screen. The power button is lit up, the battery indicator on the side of the unit comes on when plugged in, but nothing else. It has been "charging'" for quite some time now. The unit is undamaged, has never experienced any drops, and is about three weeks old.

I've called tech support and did all the obvious troubleshooting tips, power cycling and whatnot. Has anyone had this experience before? I can't really wait 5-7 business days (which we know will be longer) to get this fixed.

I found this solution but I'm afraid of breaking something. Otherwise, I'll send it in.

cacildo

I have a

Radeon HD 4670 video card

And im running Windows 8.1

I cant get correct drivers. Im trying to run an old 3d game but its chugging, 15fps.

AMD autodetect cant detect my device (and my monitor is pluged into it)

What should i do?

cacildo

It is now, thank you

But it dosent seem to solve the problem. The game still choppy

The thing is the AMD autodetect program dont even detect my video card. And it worked fine under Windows 7

Now in windows 8.1 i dont really know if its "getting" my card right

Edit: like this - this is what happens when i open the "AMD Catalyst control center"

amd3muu8.jpg

I bought a laptop about a week ago and it takes ages to boot. It's an HP Pavilion notebook, i7, 8GB RAM and an Nvidia graphics card of some sort (I can find out of that's relevant) and an HDD (no SSD unfortunately). Also running Windows 8.1 and Avast antivirus.

I've been uninstalling what HP bloatware I can identify, but if anyone has any tips or guides as to how I can make this thing snappier (ie optimise Win 8.1), I would most appreciate it.

Top Bottom