• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Coxy

My PC is randomly shutting down, though it only seems to happen when browsing the internet or playing games

I've run memtest and a system file check, there doesnt seem to be a problem with either, I've also looked at temperatures and it isnt overheating

The problem seems to have started when I tried installing new directx and graphics card drivers for my system

I'm thinking its a directx problem since it happens with browsers as well as games?

oneran

So, I decided to look at my bandwidth and what the fuck, apparently I downed/upped 77 & 28GB respectively, just today alone. Downloaded zero games, and the only patch that was pushed over Steam was Dota 2. Possibly some other games, but not enough to even account .05% of that usage. This month I'm apparently at 780GB judging from IP Traffic on my router.

I did run a scan with malwarebytes, got rid of some backdoorbot/trojan. But Christ, wtf.

Installing networx and going to keep tabs on this.

Edit - it has jumped to 92 & 32 since I originally made this post. Any idea what could be causing these readings? This is all through IP traffic on tomato firmware. Networx isn't reporting anything out of the ordinary. My isp is supposedly monitoring bandwidth but their tracker doesn't even work.

edit again - I should've been looking at WAN traffic instead, so might have to ignore the above. But at the same time, my weekly total usage reported is exactly the same as the past month. Hmm.

You may want to try using one of those free antivirus programs like avast/avg at least temporarily just to rule out any additional malware. (malwarebytes is awesome but a second opinion never hurts)

If you have a wifi network you should check out your dhcp client list, just in case anyone guessed your password and is piggy backing off your connection.

My PC is randomly shutting down, though it only seems to happen when browsing the internet or playing games

I've run memtest and a system file check, there doesnt seem to be a problem with either, I've also looked at temperatures and it isnt overheating

The problem seems to have started when I tried installing new directx and graphics card drivers for my system

I'm thinking its a directx problem since it happens with browsers as well as games?

Does event viewer in computer management give you any errors or warning relating to the crash?

Coxy

Does event viewer in computer management give you any errors or warning relating to the crash?

Critical 25/01/2015 03:42:55 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Error 25/01/2015 03:43:02 EventLog 6008 None
The previous system shutdown at 03:41:48 on ‎25/‎01/‎2015 was unexpected.

there's basically nothing else happening around that time

oneran

Critical 25/01/2015 03:42:55 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Error 25/01/2015 03:43:02 EventLog 6008 None
The previous system shutdown at 03:41:48 on ‎25/‎01/‎2015 was unexpected.

there's basically nothing else happening around that time

If the system is shutting itself down completely and not blue screening then restarting, it is most likely a power issue. If you have a spare psu you may want to try swapping it out just to make sure your current one is not choking.

Just out of curiosity what are your specs and how old is the system? and when you said your temperatures are fine did you check both the motherboard and the cpu?

Ashhong

Hi guys, i moved my PC to another room yesterday and after I set it up my second monitor began to flicker intermittently. Not like on and off, but this horizontal gray bar would flicker on and off the screen. I never had this issue before. Any ideas?

Checked cables and all was connected fine. Google search said it was because of Overdrive, but that's not even on and again, didn't have this issue 12 hours before..

I have 2xdell u2415 and a MSI r9 270

Coxy

If the system is shutting itself down completely and not blue screening then restarting, it is most likely a power issue. If you have a spare psu you may want to try swapping it out just to make sure your current one is not choking.

Just out of curiosity what are your specs and how old is the system? and when you said your temperatures are fine did you check both the motherboard and the cpu?

thanks for the help, I think I've solved it, it was a hell of a weird issue, when I updated my graphics drivers, they also added another sound driver which was conflicting, I disabled it in device manager and now everything is working fine

I cant believe something as small as that was causing such a major issue but apparantly it was

sonicmj1

I've been having some weird problems with my computer.

I got my desktop out of the closet after a few years in storage, and I had to set it up in a different room of my house, far away from the modem. To deal with that, I got a Linksys AE1200 WiFi USB adapter about six months ago.

At what I guess was the same time, problems started popping up with my computer's ability to download and access information. I've started using this desktop more heavily as of late, so those problems have become more bothersome. I described it more completely in this post in the "I Need a New PC" thread. Recently, they'd finally started reaching a point where I was getting fed up with it.

In addition to the above problems, I started encountering issues with my internet. Recently, at certain hours, my connection would become extremely slow. I was getting huge lag spikes while playing matches of Dota. My roommates, who use the same network, were not experiencing these issues. Moreover, every now and then the adapter would basically crash, becoming unable to connect to the internet, and the computer would not recognize when it was unplugged. The computer would have to crash itself to shut down and restart fully.

I tried buying another wireless adapter from Amazon, but when I plugged it in, it wasn't able to connect to my network despite the network showing up on the computer. I tried plugging in a very long LAN cable, and it couldn't connect to the internet outside of IRC and certain search engines. I could get to google.com and run a search, but I couldn't load the search results. I tried running virus scans with MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and HitmanPro, and never returned anything solid in terms of malware, beyond tracking cookies.

Anyway, today the adapter quit for good. The computer now no longer recognizes it when it gets plugged in. I can't connect the desktop to the internet. And before today, I had thought the hard drive problems and the internet problems were unconnected.

But when I tried running The Evil Within with my computer completely unplugged from the internet, with no adapter plugged in, all the loading problems, long freezes, and stuttering from before were completely gone. The game ran perfectly smoothly from the second it booted.

I'm planning on trying to get another USB adapter, but I'm worried something deeper might be happening. What the heck is going on here? Is the problem with my USB driver, or with being connected to the internet, or something else altogether? Do I have to reformat my hard drive or something?

Apt101

TechSupportGaf:

Does anyone here have experience with a Network Attached Storage drive? I'm looking at these as an option for my home network setup.

I have a couple of questions: If you're on the home network for these, do you have to copy files off the drive and onto the PC, or can you bring it up straight from the drive like any normal drive connected to a PC?

Also, I'm looking at a WD My Cloud EX2 which has a built in iTunes server. How does that work in practice? I'm hoping I can just use itunes like normal without having to plug in a hard drive to my laptop every time I come home. Or is the interface clunky and not worth dealing with?

The only consumer NAS devices I've seen personally support CIFS shares. You can map a drive letter to it and work with it like a disk.

oneran

I've been having some weird problems with my computer.

I got my desktop out of the closet after a few years in storage, and I had to set it up in a different room of my house, far away from the modem. To deal with that, I got a Linksys AE1200 WiFi USB adapter about six months ago.

At what I guess was the same time, problems started popping up with my computer's ability to download and access information. I've started using this desktop more heavily as of late, so those problems have become more bothersome. I described it more completely in this post in the "I Need a New PC" thread. Recently, they'd finally started reaching a point where I was getting fed up with it.

In addition to the above problems, I started encountering issues with my internet. Recently, at certain hours, my connection would become extremely slow. I was getting huge lag spikes while playing matches of Dota. My roommates, who use the same network, were not experiencing these issues. Moreover, every now and then the adapter would basically crash, becoming unable to connect to the internet, and the computer would not recognize when it was unplugged. The computer would have to crash itself to shut down and restart fully.

I tried buying another wireless adapter from Amazon, but when I plugged it in, it wasn't able to connect to my network despite the network showing up on the computer. I tried plugging in a very long LAN cable, and it couldn't connect to the internet outside of IRC and certain search engines. I could get to google.com and run a search, but I couldn't load the search results. I tried running virus scans with MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and HitmanPro, and never returned anything solid in terms of malware, beyond tracking cookies.

Anyway, today the adapter quit for good. The computer now no longer recognizes it when it gets plugged in. I can't connect the desktop to the internet. And before today, I had thought the hard drive problems and the internet problems were unconnected.

But when I tried running The Evil Within with my computer completely unplugged from the internet, with no adapter plugged in, all the loading problems, long freezes, and stuttering from before were completely gone. The game ran perfectly smoothly from the second it booted.

I'm planning on trying to get another USB adapter, but I'm worried something deeper might be happening. What the heck is going on here? Is the problem with my USB driver, or with being connected to the internet, or something else altogether? Do I have to reformat my hard drive or something?

Reformatting and reinstalling windows is most likely the simplest solution and if your still having problems after that some of your hardware may have been damaged while in storage. But I do have some basic suggestions if you don't want to go to this extreme just yet:

You may want to check task manager while connected to the internet and see if any processes are taking up a ton of resources.

When you brought it out of storage did you manually run a windows update? in my experience the windows update service can get sort of screwy and cause a ton of problems when it hasn't been able to run in a while. You may want to check on windows update from control panel and make sure its not stuck on anything when you get your new adapter.

Also are you and your roommate are using the same modem/router correct? You may want to confirm your settings both on your gateway and the tcp/ip settings for your adapters in Network Connections on your pc.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Here is one I am sure I know the answer of, but is worth me typing, I guess:

There is a website that caps responses on a search field to around 280 results. Anything that would otherwise return more results will need more specificity to get more results.

For example:

WC0 will return 280 results

but if you enter:

WC01 you get 200
WC02 164
WC03 201
WC04 64
WC.. ...

and so on.

Is there a way to "hack" the site to force it to return more results still by using general queries?

In lieu of that, is there a way I could program a macro or something to search a set range of queries in pre-determined box on a specific website and then collate the results in a spreadsheet or something similar?

THANKS!

sonicmj1

Reformatting and reinstalling windows is most likely the simplest solution and if your still having problems after that some of your hardware may have been damaged while in storage. But I do have some basic suggestions if you don't want to go to this extreme just yet:

You may want to check task manager while connected to the internet and see if any processes are taking up a ton of resources.

When you brought it out of storage did you manually run a windows update? in my experience the windows update service can get sort of screwy and cause a ton of problems when it hasn't been able to run in a while. You may want to check on windows update from control panel and make sure its not stuck on anything when you get your new adapter.

Also are you and your roommate are using the same modem/router correct? You may want to confirm your settings both on your gateway and the tcp/ip settings for your adapters in Network Connections on your pc.

I'll take a look at Windows Update whenever I get a new adapter.

Running a full scan with Security Essentials offline revealed three viruses, so that could be the end of things. If not I'll just reformat.

CBTech

Are there any tools or ways to test your motherboard, PSU, and GPU? This happens rarely, but sometimes my graphics card will suddenly stop working. My display will turn off entirely and the GPU fan stops. My case fans and CPU fan are still running. I also lose sound and as far as I can tell no inputs work. I have not seen any error messages.

I'm thinking this might be a motherboard issue, since my mother board already has a couple other problems. One of the PCI 2.0 ports has stopped working and the ethernet port is no longer working. Perhaps the PCI port is simply randomly not working? My mother board is an Asus M4A89TD Pro.

It could also just be the graphics card. I admittedly didn't take as good of care of it as I should have (like really badly), so I'm wondering if it got damaged or overheated at some point. I'm planning on upgrading my graphics card soon, so I might be able to rule out that possibility soon. My current graphics card is a Radeon HD 5870, I don't remember the exact brand.

I've also read that this might be an issue with my power supply getting worse over time. It is a 1000W power supply I got back in 2010. Sorry, I can't remember the brand.

So what's the best way to test these things out to try and pin point the problem? Hopefully it isn't the motherboard since I don't plan on upgrading it until Skylake comes out.

Edit: I haven't checked to see if I need new drivers or not. I'll do that when I get home from work, but let's assume I have the latest drivers. What tools or process should I use to investigate this?

n64coder

What is the URL of the website that you're trying to get queries for? It's possible that you might be able to pass a higher results number right into the URL string to get more results.

Here is one I am sure I know the answer of, but is worth me typing, I guess:

There is a website that caps responses on a search field to around 280 results. Anything that would otherwise return more results will need more specificity to get more results.

For example:

WC0 will return 280 results

but if you enter:

WC01 you get 200
WC02 164
WC03 201
WC04 64
WC.. ...

and so on.

Is there a way to "hack" the site to force it to return more results still by using general queries?

In lieu of that, is there a way I could program a macro or something to search a set range of queries in pre-determined box on a specific website and then collate the results in a spreadsheet or something similar?

THANKS!

Polaroid PTAB 735 Tablet - Android 4.4.2

I'm a total Android noob, but fairly tech savvy otherwise. My wife and I bought our kids cheap Android tablets for Christmas.They only had 4GB of onboard storage, but hey, they're Android, we can just drop an SD card in them to give them however much space they need, right? Of course the kids fill up the ~2GB space available within about 30 seconds with insipid Talking Tom apps. Check the specs, the PTAB735 can handle up to 32GB Micro SD cards, so we get some and drop them in.

The tablet recognizes the card, and it seamlessly finds and plays music I preloaded on to one of the cards, but I can't get any of the apps to either install or move to the card to free up the onboard memory. Look up a tutorial, it says under Settings > Apps > randomapp that there should be a "Move to SD Card" button. On the tablets, no such button appears. On a hunch, I force stop the app I want to move, still no button. Reboot the tablet, still no button.

No problem, I think to myself, I'm probably doing something dumb, fortunately, I've got a Android-fanatic buddy coming to stay with a few days, I'll ask him about it (I've helped his mother-in-law on tech issues for free and we're putting him and his wife and kids up for free for 4-5 days, so I feel no guilt.) He takes one, installs AppMgr III on it and hands it back saying that should let me move it. No dice, all it lets me do is Open, App info, View on Play Store, Uninstall, and Recommend to Friends. I've got the free version, but the Pro features don't mention anything about moving apps and I'm not going to risk wasting money on what appears to be a dead end. I show this to my buddy, he fiddles with it for ~20 minutes, does a few searches, and tells me we're SOL, he thinks the manufacturer removed the ability in the ROM.

I do some more searching on my own and find there's apparently been some rethinking of how Android handles apps' access to external storage. That doesn't sound like it should apply in this case (again, I'm just trying to move apps off the onboard memory and on to the SD card,) but what do I know, I'm a noob. So I install a couple of "patches" to fix the issue (NextApp SDFix and KitKat External SD Card Patch.) Running those tell me that I need to root my device and run them as superuser. Understandable, I guess, given that they are going to "patch" the OS, but I wonder if this isn't another dead end. It seems odd to me that such a common use case (augment paltry onboard memory with external memory) would require such complex implemention (not that rooting or running something su is that complex for me, it's that it seems complex for the masses that are have the same use case.)

tl;dr: What is the "official" way in Android 4.4.2 to install an app straight to the SD card? Is there an "official" way to move a previously installed app?

jimwhat

Chrome Browser
Deluge Bittorrent Client
D-Link DWA 556 Wireless Adapter (Latest Driver)
Windows 8.1

My problem is that any time I try to download a torrent while Chrome is open, my network adapter crashes and I have to restart it to get it to connect to a network again.

This only happens with Chrome though. Firefox, Opera, and IE all work fine while Deluge is running.

It's just a minor bother, but I was wondering if anybody knew why this would be happening?

Routers: Netgear R7000 and ASUS N66 <Neither of these crashes while torrenting, meaning it's just a problem with my PC.

Coxy

thanks for the help, I think I've solved it, it was a hell of a weird issue, when I updated my graphics drivers, they also added another sound driver which was conflicting, I disabled it in device manager and now everything is working fine

I cant believe something as small as that was causing such a major issue but apparantly it was

looks like I spoke too soon, the problem is back, bizarrely it worked fine for about 4 days in a row, even while gaming

is there a reliable way to know if my PSU is failing? I downloaded speccy and it seems to be running fine

The really weird thing is, I can leave it on overnight and it always stays on. it only ever shuts off when I'm actually using it

looks like I spoke too soon, the problem is back, bizarrely it worked fine for about 4 days in a row, even while gaming

is there a reliable way to know if my PSU is failing? I downloaded speccy and it seems to be running fine

The really weird thing is, I can leave it on overnight and it always stays on. it only ever shuts off when I'm actually using it

When I thought my PSU might have been damaged I took it to my local computer shop and they tested it for me (they had a gizmo designed for testing PSUs). Maybe try that?

oneran

I'll take a look at Windows Update whenever I get a new adapter.

Running a full scan with Security Essentials offline revealed three viruses, so that could be the end of things. If not I'll just reformat.
You may want to try downloading avast when you get back online, once it’s installed try running a boot-time scan just in case anything is dogging your security software.

First off ensure sure your not exceeding your psu's wattage.Here's a basic calculator if you need it

You can check your power voltages on your motherboard. There should be a power screen in your bios containing 3.3,5, & 12V rails they should all be with 10-15% of their rated values. However even if they are correct there could be other issues which is why it’s normally best to just switch it out. Also if you have your pc plugged into a cluttered surge protector it could also cause problems.
(You can buy cheap power supply testers that you plug your atx and other connectors into that basically light up if the correct voltage is present. There really only useful if you do a lot of testing and saves you the trouble of hooking it up to a system.)

Side note: Are you sure the sound driver wasn’t for the hdmi out on your graphics card? You can try re-installing your graphics card drivers (use the clean installation option if have a NVIDIA card) if you haven’t already done so.

sonicmj1

You may want to try downloading avast when you get back online, once it’s installed try running a boot-time scan just in case anything is dogging your security software.

The new adapter worked, and my games seem to run fine now. I'm downloading avast now, though.

Thanks for the advice.

So the wireless Internet connection in my house seems to have gotten really slow recently, specifically the G network (it's a dual-band G/N router) and I'm trying to figure out how to improve it. I get about 0.5~2 Mbps down on Wi-fi G -- barely enough to stream anything- but when I tried connecting an Ethernet cable to the router I got blazing fast (like 30 Mbps down), so it's definitely the wi-fi. I suspect it's a combination of lots of 2.4GHz congestion, an older router (Netgear WNDR3300) and somewhat older devices. The N-5GHz network on the router is also plenty fast (20Mbps) but unfortunately I have devices that won't see it (PS3, Chromecast, desktop computer) and I can't easily run a cable from the router into my room.

What can I do to diagnose the slow speeds for sure and improve them? I don't want to just buy a new router if the problem is really congestion or distance and not the router. I was thinking of a wi-fi extender might help, but from what I've read they severely limit your bandwidth. Any ideas?

oneran

So the wireless Internet connection in my house seems to have gotten really slow recently, specifically the G network (it's a dual-band G/N router) and I'm trying to figure out how to improve it. I get about 0.5~2 Mbps down on Wi-fi G -- barely enough to stream anything- but when I tried connecting an Ethernet cable to the router I got blazing fast (like 30 Mbps down), so it's definitely the wi-fi. I suspect it's a combination of lots of 2.4GHz congestion, an older router (Netgear WNDR3300) and somewhat older devices. The N-5GHz network on the router is also plenty fast (20Mbps) but unfortunately I have devices that won't see it (PS3, Chromecast, desktop computer) and I can't easily run a cable from the router into my room.

What can I do to diagnose the slow speeds for sure and improve them? I don't want to just buy a new router if the problem is really congestion or distance and not the router. I was thinking of a wi-fi extender might help, but from what I've read they severely limit your bandwidth. Any ideas?

You can try cycling through the wi-fi Channels 1-11 in your routers Wireless configuration settings and see if your speeds improve, there should be various operating modes you can try as well.

(Just keep note of your current settings so you can revert back in-case any of your devices stops working or is adversely affected)

Hope you guys, can help me!!

Guys, I need help!

I am experiencing a system error on my notebook (no pun intended)

I don't know if GAF has a special thread for this, if anyone knows one or knows the solution itself. I'd be very grateful!

As I restarted my notebook a couple of minutes ago, my screen turned black with a mouse cursor. I quickly looked on someone else's notebook what I can do and found out that I could open "explorer.exe" via task manager for now. I then restarted again. But I had to do this again, is there any way out, out of this shit?!

I know this is the wrong thread for this, sorry.

Have you tried running the system file checker?

Open an elevated command prompt and type:

sfc /scannow

If that doesn't work this might be of use: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-explorerexe-not-starting-when-i-boot-my/0e69419b-d900-4df9-a02a-f05eab15dc9b
(Be careful when in the registry)

Yes I tried sfc/scannow

And registry also.

Note that when I boot up explorer.exe is actually active but I have to end that task and open it new.

Also in the registry in shell were explorer.exe, I also deleted that, closed the registry and added it in again. Nothing.

scogoth

Yes I tried sfc/scannow

And registry also.

Note that when I boot up explorer.exe is actually active but I have to end that task and open it new.

Also in the registry in shell were explorer.exe, I also deleted that, closed the registry and added it in again. Nothing.

Windows 7? 8? 8.1?
You could try doing a windows repair if you have a disc or a recovery partition on the laptop.

oneran

Please go more in detail.

When you boot into the install disk/partition there should be a System Recovery Option, Startup Repair is one of the options.

You may also want to try the diagnostic startup option in system configuration(msconfig) just in case any of your startup programs/services are causing explorer to crash/hang.

Edit: Forgot in windows 8 you don't need the install disk you just need to go to PC setting>update & recovery>recovery>advanced startup one you've restarted click Troubleshoot>advanced options> automatic repair

When you boot into the install disk/partition there should be a System Recovery Option, Startup Repair is one of the options.

You may also want to try the diagnostic startup option in system configuration(msconfig) just in case any of your startup programs/services are causing explorer to crash/hang.

Edit: Forgot in windows 8 you don't need the install disk you just need to go to PC setting>update & recovery>recovery>advanced startup one you've restarted click Troubleshoot>advanced options> automatic repair

Doesn't work either.

I just finished cleaning my graphics card, put it all back in but getting no signal through through to my display. Card power lights are on so i think all that side of things is okay, but im not sure whats causing the display to fail. :(

I just finished cleaning my graphics card, put it all back in but getting no signal through through to my display. Card power lights are on so i think all that side of things is okay, but im not sure whats causing the display to fail. :(

Forgot PCI-E power cable(s)? Try reseating them.

oneran

I'm kinda desperate guys. I don't find a solution.

A few things:

When you finished running sfc what message did you receive? (I you don't remember just run it again)

Try launching the Computer Management Console (compmgmt.msc) and check out event viewer, See if there are any Critical, Errors, or warning.

Are you running any security software?

Do you have any system restore points from before explorer was hanging?

A few things:

When you finished running sfc what message did you receive? (I you don't remember just run it again)

Try launching the Computer Management Console (compmgmt.msc) and check out event viewer, See if there are any Critical, Errors, or warning.

Are you running any security software?

Do you have any system restore points from before explorer was hanging?

I am running sfc /scannow again, and tell you.

How do I launch compmgmt.msc? I need basic noob instructions.

I am running avast, and I already did a full system check.

I created a backup image yes but this is not an option for me. I have programs installed, which I am not able to reinstall and I need those.

That's what I get after sfc/ scannow

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

I'm still having this same problem. Rolled back drivers, tested the video card and I cannot figure out what it is. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I didn't see your post until just now. Were you able to track down the cause?

I started getting this bsod when I upgraded my video card from an AMD 6970 to nVidia GTX 970. I also tried rolling back the drivers, but I had the same issue with 3 different versions of the nVidia drivers. I switched back temporarily to play Gat Out of Hell and had zero problems.

I contacted my video card manufacturer's support department and they recommended using DDU (http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/) to uninstall all the old drivers and reinstall the latest ones from nVidia. They also asked if I could try the card in a different computer. Unfortunately, I don't have another PC to test the card in. I followed their DDU recommendation and as soon as I launched the game again my PC shut right off, but the power LED was blinking constantly and would not turn back on. I tested my PSU with a PSU tester and the PG (Power Good signal) was reading HH. Luckily my PSU was still under warranty. I'm awaiting my replacement PSU which should arrive next Thursday. Right now, my hypothesis is that the PSU was failing and the new video card exacerbated the problem.

Hope this helps.

How do I launch compmgmt.msc? I need basic noob instructions.

Open the Run Dialog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/07/win8-howto-12-show-and-use-run-command.aspx
- Windows key + R keyboard shortcut is my preferred method
Type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.

That's what I get after sfc/ scannow

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Did you check the log file? Can you post it?

http://pastebin.com/

I didn't see your post until just now. Were you able to track down the cause?

I started getting this bsod when I upgraded my video card from an AMD 6970 to nVidia GTX 970. I also tried rolling back the drivers, but I had the same issue with 3 different versions of the nVidia drivers. I switched back temporarily to play Gat Out of Hell and had zero problems.

I contacted my video card manufacturer's support department and they recommended using DDU (http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/) to uninstall all the old drivers and reinstall the latest ones from nVidia. They also asked if I could try the card in a different computer. Unfortunately, I don't have another PC to test the card in. I followed their DDU recommendation and as soon as I launched the game again my PC shut right off, but the power LED was blinking constantly and would not turn back on. I tested my PSU with a PSU tester and the PG (Power Good signal) was reading HH. Luckily my PSU was still under warranty. I'm awaiting my replacement PSU which should arrive next Thursday. Right now, my hypothesis is that the PSU was failing and the new video card exacerbated the problem.

Hope this helps.

Hey man. Thanks for the reply. I ended up putting a new video card in my system and haven't had the problem yet. I haven't done any heavy gaming but I'm working at home today so I intend to just leave something like wow on and see if that causes a crash. If it doesn't then it was the video card. I've never had a video card fail before. Very weird.

What did you use to test your power supply and where can I get something like that?

Hey man. Thanks for the reply. I ended up putting a new video card in my system and haven't had the problem yet. I haven't done any heavy gaming but I'm working at home today so I intend to just leave something like wow on and see if that causes a crash. If it doesn't then it was the video card. I've never had a video card fail before. Very weird.

What did you use to test your power supply and where can I get something like that?

I used one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZPB546/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That said, if your system boots, your BIOS should have a power monitoring feature too. Here's a quote from EVGA tech support regarding PSU voltages and the 116 BSOD:
Another thing that might cause similar issues would be improper power from the power supply. To verify the power supply's voltages, go into the motherboard BIOS and look for something along the lines of pc health/system status/system monitoring. In there, you are looking for the 12v rail. You will want the voltages to be somewhere between 11.5-12.5v with fluctuations less than .05v. You will also want both the 3.3v and 5v to be within 5% of those values. If anything is outside of those ranges, you may need to replace your power supply.

Open the Run Dialog http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/07/win8-howto-12-show-and-use-run-command.aspx
- Windows key + R keyboard shortcut is my preferred method
Type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.

olohlbcw.png

Did you check the log file? Can you post it?

http://pastebin.com/

I do not understand pastebin, so I uploaded it here: CBS

Symphonia

Banned
I dunno if this is the right place to ask though, technically, it is a tech question. My 500GB PS4 HDD is nearly full. Where is the best place to buy a new HDD from and how easy are they to install? I'm looking to spend up to £150. The larger the capacity, the better.

oneran

olohlbcw.png

I will take a look a the log file in the mean time you can try running an offboot sfc:

PC setting>update & recovery>recovery>advanced startup one you've restarted click Troubleshoot>advanced options> command prompt

The computer should then restart again with only a command prompt type:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

*If your windows installation is on another drive you will have to replace the C:\ with the correct drive letter(E.g. D:\ , E:\ )

Once your done just post if it was successful or still unable to repair.

olohlbcw.png

There were quite a few errors in the last 24 hours, but that screenshot doesn't tell us what any of them were. Click the + next to the type of event for the list of them. You can then click on a single event to get its details.

I'm unable to download the log on mobile for some reason.

I dunno if this is the right place to ask though, technically, it is a tech question. My 500GB PS4 HDD is nearly full. Where is the best place to buy a new HDD from and how easy are they to install? I'm looking to spend up to £150. The larger the capacity, the better.

There are a bunch of threads for PS4 HDD recommendations. It's really easy to do, but requires some prep.
http://google.com/search?q=site:neogaf.com+ps4+hard+drive

As to where to buy, check this thread http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=944920

Randam

yesterday, I started my PC and the desktop didn't want to turn on.
said: no hdmi signal
checked the cables, but nothing.
resetted him a few times and tried a again a few hours later, but nothing.

tired again today and it worked.
but he came with "overclocking failed, go to bios setup for this and that".
went to the bios.
didn't see anything, left without saving and now he is running like normal.

weird.

yesterday, I started my PC and the desktop didn't want to turn on.
said: no hdmi signal
checked the cables, but nothing.
resetted him a few times and tried a again a few hours later, but nothing.

tired again today and it worked.
but he came with "overclocking failed, go to bios setup for this and that".
went to the bios.
didn't see anything, left without saving and now he is running like normal.

weird.
Sounds like your PSU may be failing.

I will take a look a the log file in the mean time you can try running an offboot sfc:

PC setting>update & recovery>recovery>advanced startup one you've restarted click Troubleshoot>advanced options> command prompt

The computer should then restart again with only a command prompt type:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

*If your windows installation is on another drive you will have to replace the C:\ with the correct drive letter(E.g. D:\ , E:\ )

Once your done just post if it was successful or still unable to repair.

Same result as sfc /scannow before.

There were quite a few errors in the last 24 hours, but that screenshot doesn't tell us what any of them were. Click the + next to the type of event for the list of them. You can then click on a single event to get its details.

Here are the Errors:

gz9mvowg.png

l4vaavel.png

fwt6fbuy.png

8pn3zvwb.png

oneran

Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB of prncacla.inf is the file it can't repair, did some searching try running:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

if it successfully completes then try running

SFC /scannow once more

I doubt this will solve your boot issues, but I'm all out of ideas.

Here's the paste bin if your interested zer0blivion (It's well over 2000 lines so be warned) http://pastebin.com/fG3ca875

Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB of prncacla.inf is the file it can't repair, did some searching try running:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

if it successfully completes then try running

SFC /scannow once more

I doubt this will solve your boot issues, but I'm all out of ideas.

Here's the paste bin if your interested zer0blivion (It's well over 2000 lines so be warned) http://pastebin.com/fG3ca875

I still need noob friendly instructions.

Top Bottom