• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

So my computer is being shitty lately. It's not going to sleep like it should when I close the lid. It's constantly making the sound like when you plug and unplug into the USB ports. It'll make the noise if I bump it, pick it up, or carry it around when it's open and when it's closed and should in theory be asleep.
It's killing my battery time once I take it off the charger and getting really annoying. I usually keep the wireless adapter for my Logitech mouse plugged into the computer, but it still happens even when I have it out. I do turn the mouse off when I'm done using the computer. I've had the computer for almost three years now, and at the end of the first year before the warranty was up, I sent it in to have the USB ports replaced because they were dying and not recognizing stuff when I plugged it in.

It's a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5205 with Windows 7.

oneran

So my computer is being shitty lately. It's not going to sleep like it should when I close the lid. It's constantly making the sound like when you plug and unplug into the USB ports. It'll make the noise if I bump it, pick it up, or carry it around when it's open and when it's closed and should in theory be asleep.
It's killing my battery time once I take it off the charger and getting really annoying. I usually keep the wireless adapter for my Logitech mouse plugged into the computer, but it still happens even when I have it out. I do turn the mouse off when I'm done using the computer. I've had the computer for almost three years now, and at the end of the first year before the warranty was up, I sent it in to have the USB ports replaced because they were dying and not recognizing stuff when I plugged it in.

It's a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5205 with Windows 7.

Try running the powercfg -requests command in an elevated command prompt and see if there is anything running that would prevent it from going to sleep.

(I know steam has been giving me and a lot of other people problems with power saving mode lately if you have it running it the background try closing it to see if the problem goes away.)

Try running the powercfg -requests command in an elevated command prompt and see if there is anything running that would prevent it from going to sleep.

(I know steam has been giving me and a lot of other people problems with power saving mode lately if you have it running it the background try closing it to see if the problem goes away.)

Don't run steam. Heck I can barely get youtube videos to stream smoothly. It's my computer, not the internet speed. I generally only have AIM, Chrome, and maybe a notepad or file open, but nothing that should be running in the background. I haven't really changed my computer habits.

NotBacon

Hi All,

So i have a netgear WNR2000 v4 router and it has been nothing but a headache since I got it. I have to unplug it and replug it in usually 3-4 times a day because some of the lights on the front will go orange and it will drop everything on the network (wired or wireless) Not sure if theres a setting or something I can change but its rather annoying that I have to do it all the time.

Any ideas?

Try doing a factory reset, and maybe buying a decent coax cable. My router used to do boot loops all the damn time, because it would lose connection I guess, so all my devices would grind to a halt and the lights would start blinking signaling the boot sequence. So yeah, try a good new cable.

Vazduh

Yes, 13.4. beta (legacy drivers). I had 13.1 installed before.

Got today bsod with "Memory management" message, will run memtest+ to see if the ram is faulty.

Booted memtest but the screen went black after 1-2 minutes and I had to restart the computer. Tried memtest multiple times but the result is always the same. Could it be ram or maybe something else?

oneran

Booted memtest but the screen went black after 1-2 minutes and I had to restart the computer. Tried memtest multiple times but the result is always the same. Could it be ram or maybe something else?

My money would be on the ram, but try the Windows memory diagnostic tool just to be sure. (it should be built into windows as long as your using anything vista and over)

It's unlikely, but check your power voltages on your motherboard. There should be screen in your bios the 3.3,5, & 12V should all be with 10-15% of their rated values just to rule out the power supply.

Sendou

Is this a problem?

nvidia7osfi.png

Notice the refresh rate. If I try to set it to 60Hz on Windows settings it just reverts back to 59 after I close the settings window. Setting it to 59Hz on drivers just forces me to use 16-bit colors.

Vazduh

My money would be on the ram, but try the Windows memory diagnostic tool just to be sure. (it should be built into windows as long as your using anything vista and over)

It's unlikely, but check your power voltages on your motherboard. There should be screen in your bios the 3.3,5, & 12V should all be with 10-15% of their rated values just to rule out the power supply.

I've tried the windows tool but the result was the same - screen blacked out after a minute. So it's ram then :\? At least it's not the gpu.

Btw, voltage values are: 3.264, 5.045 & 12.056 V.

oneran

I've tried the windows tool but the result was the same - screen blacked out after a minute. So it's ram then :\? At least it's not the gpu.

Btw, voltage values are: 3.264, 5.045 & 12.056 V.

Voltages look good so your power supply is probably fine, If you have more than one stick installed you can try removing one and testing them individually. You should refer to your boards manual on which dimm should hold the Ram and use an anti-static bag to store the stick that is not in use.

If your lucky and have a nice friend with ram that is compatible with your board you can try swapping it in just to rule out the motherboard itself.

Hey guys.

So I have a blu ray/surround sound system hooked up to my TV through HDMI. I have a cable box hooked up to my Xbox One through HDMI, and the Xbox connected to the TV through HDMI.

Cable and Xbox go to the surround sound and I have no problems. Today I tried to play a blu ray on the blu ray player, rather than in the Xbox. No particular reason, just to do something different.

The audio comes out of my speakers garbled. The music is intensely loud, some effects are loud and some are muted. Dialogue and speaking in the movies sounds like they are talking underwater.

I cannot figure out how to fix it. It only happens when a disc in in my blu ray player. Playing a disc in my Xbox results in no issues.

I just want to figure out what I did wrong and how I can fix it if I want to watch a movie without my xbox, which I will probably have to do in the next few weeks when I send my Xbox in to get repaired.

I appreciate any ideas. Thanks for the help.

Punkroses

My PC has been acting really weird lately.. I'm having trouble determining which part of the PC is causing them as the problems are intermittent.

Here's a list of problems I'm facing.
Unable to boot up, occasionally.(Rectify by switching off main power supply and switch it back on 5 minutes later)
CPU Usage at 100%, occasionally. (Rectify by restarting PC)
Boot up without Display, occasionally.
Auto Restart.
Graphics Kernel Driver crashing.

All drivers are updated.

Any idea what maybe causing these issues?

Fezan

So I am having this issue recently. Sometimes when I start a game my monitor goes to sleep mode and computer is running but not responding. If I remove cable from socket it again starts to work like a charm. It also happens randomly some time i can play for hours and don't dace this issue. Some time it just happens as soon as I start game

JambiBum

So I am having this issue recently. Sometimes when I start a game my monitor goes to sleep mode and computer is running but not responding. If I remove cable from socket it again starts to work like a charm. It also happens randomly some time i can play for hours and don't dace this issue. Some time it just happens as soon as I start game

I recently just had this issue myself. In my case it was because my gpu was on its last legs. The way you can trouble shoot this is by removing your GPU and using the onboard card (if you have one) for a while and see if you have the issue. If you don't then it is probably an issue with your GPU.

oneran

My PC has been acting really weird lately.. I'm having trouble determining which part of the PC is causing them as the problems are intermittent.

Here's a list of problems I'm facing.
Unable to boot up, occasionally.(Rectify by switching off main power supply and switch it back on 5 minutes later)
CPU Usage at 100%, occasionally. (Rectify by restarting PC)
Boot up without Display, occasionally.
Auto Restart.
Graphics Kernel Driver crashing.

All drivers are updated.

Any idea what maybe causing these issues?

The CPU usage is probably a separate issue try using task manager to find out what is eating it up. If your using integrated graphics it's probably your motherboard you can try restoring default values to the Bios to see if it helps. You may want to check your power supply and graphics card(if you have one) but more information on your system would probably be helpful.

Hey guys.

So I have a blu ray/surround sound system hooked up to my TV through HDMI. I have a cable box hooked up to my Xbox One through HDMI, and the Xbox connected to the TV through HDMI.

Cable and Xbox go to the surround sound and I have no problems. Today I tried to play a blu ray on the blu ray player, rather than in the Xbox. No particular reason, just to do something different.

The audio comes out of my speakers garbled. The music is intensely loud, some effects are loud and some are muted. Dialogue and speaking in the movies sounds like they are talking underwater.

I cannot figure out how to fix it. It only happens when a disc in in my blu ray player. Playing a disc in my Xbox results in no issues.

I just want to figure out what I did wrong and how I can fix it if I want to watch a movie without my xbox, which I will probably have to do in the next few weeks when I send my Xbox in to get repaired.

I appreciate any ideas. Thanks for the help.

Have you tried playing around with the audio settings on your player, also you can try one of the other audio outs just to see if the audio is still distorted

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ive been having Bsod issues with my laptop. I figured a factory restore would sort things out, but issues persist. It hangs on when i reset, and windows update just loads forever. Is there a toolkit that can help me with this, or is there some simple solution im just not thinking of?

Fezan

I recently just had this issue myself. In my case it was because my gpu was on its last legs. The way you can trouble shoot this is by removing your GPU and using the onboard card (if you have one) for a while and see if you have the issue. If you don't then it is probably an issue with your GPU.
Thanks i tried it and in this the problem increased. My pc without gpu ru for 15 mins and goes into sleep mode. Tried another powersupply same issue

autoduelist

So I have a new computer, with a fresh install of Firefox and Flash/Shockwave. Shockwave crashes everywhere -- on Steam pages, even on an Adobe page set up with a logo to right click on to disable 'hardware acceleration' as part of debugging the issue. Loading a page with video is pretty much guaranteed to cause it to lock up and crash. (My video drivers are up to date, my plug in is up to date, firefox is up to date, and I'm on fairly powerful laptop).

I'm sick of it, too much time down the drain already.

So...
1) Is there a codec pack that people recommend nowadays? I used to use k-lite, is that still recommended or is there a better alternative?

2) Is there any way to completely skip the shockwave plugin and use something else with firefox? (i'm hoping there's some sort of codec install nowadays, but i have no idea if that's possible.

I have a question about Nvidia driver uninstallation. Got a 970 recently after using AMD forever and when uninstalling the AMD drivers via control panel I always got a brief black screen (expected) and after a few seconds my display came back. With the 970 during uninstall my display just stays on "no signal", which I assume is due to it being in a resolution not supported by my display (a Samsung plasma tv).

So basically I'm wondering about how long does the typical uninstall procedure take for the control panel Nvidia driver uninstall? Are there additional prompts I need to see/select after I start it up, or is a reboot okay at a certain point? Just want to make sure the full uninstall is being completed. Still scratching my head though as to why I got my desktop back with AMD during it but not with the 970. Any help much appreciated.

Hey TechSupportGAF,

I have recently been having serious jitter issues with my laptop. I recently upgraded my TWC internet package and changed over to a new modem. I currently am running a netgear n600 router now and it appears to be handling all my other devices (6 devices) just fine. However when it comes to my laptop, it seems to jitter severely after an hour of non-use. I was wondering what the culprit could be. This instance only started happening when I upgraded my internet. Why does this happen? I have tried messing with my drivers and that doesn't seem to work. I have to do a complete reset in order for it to behave normally.

So weird that with my much slower internet and older router I had zero jitter. Now I can't complete multiple downloads(steam game download and youtube at the same time) and web browse. This is infuriating. I have done everything that I can possibly think of/google. Help?

Thanks TechSupportGaf!

oneran

Thanks i tried it and in this the problem increased. My pc without gpu ru for 15 mins and goes into sleep mode. Tried another powersupply same issue

Have you tried replacing your monitor cable/trying another input?, also just out of curiosity how many monitors show up on the screen resolution page in control panel because if you have or windows thinks you have a multi-monitor setup it could cause issues.

So I have a new computer, with a fresh install of Firefox and Flash/Shockwave. Shockwave crashes everywhere -- on Steam pages, even on an Adobe page set up with a logo to right click on to disable 'hardware acceleration' as part of debugging the issue. Loading a page with video is pretty much guaranteed to cause it to lock up and crash. (My video drivers are up to date, my plug in is up to date, firefox is up to date, and I'm on fairly powerful laptop).

I'm sick of it, too much time down the drain already.

So...
1) Is there a codec pack that people recommend nowadays? I used to use k-lite, is that still recommended or is there a better alternative?

2) Is there any way to completely skip the shockwave plugin and use something else with firefox? (i'm hoping there's some sort of codec install nowadays, but i have no idea if that's possible.

Does the activex flash player give you the same issues?
(The Flash Player used in Internet Explorer)

autoduelist

Does the activex flash player give you the same issues?
(The Flash Player used in Internet Explorer)

I didn't try that.... and I'd already uninstalled Shockwave. I just re-installed it to test for you, but now it's working in firefox again (it did for like 2 weeks last time). If I have more issues, I'll return. I'm completely at a loss, like I said, new powerful laptop, up to date with everything, avg pro installed... shockwave shouldn't have been crashing every time I open a page.

Any answer on codec packs? What's the best nowadays?

oneran

I didn't try that.... and I'd already uninstalled Shockwave. I just re-installed it to test for you, but now it's working in firefox again (it did for like 2 weeks last time). If I have more issues, I'll return. I'm completely at a loss, like I said, new powerful laptop, up to date with everything, avg pro installed... shockwave shouldn't have been crashing every time I open a page.

Any answer on codec packs? What's the best nowadays?

I really don't have any additional codec packs (The default codecs from windows itself, Mediamonkey, and flash pretty much covers all my multimedia needs), so maybe some else can recommend one but you really shouldn't need any to play basic flv's. Sorry

There is probably nothing wrong with your laptop itself my guess would be another program is altering your player settings or blocking it completely. Try checking your avg logs and/or event viewer it may provide some insight, but I hope it stays working anyhow!

Vazduh

Voltages look good so your power supply is probably fine, If you have more than one stick installed you can try removing one and testing them individually. You should refer to your boards manual on which dimm should hold the Ram and use an anti-static bag to store the stick that is not in use.

If your lucky and have a nice friend with ram that is compatible with your board you can try swapping it in just to rule out the motherboard itself.

Had some free time today so I decided to test each ram stick. First I've dusted and cleaned the interior of the computer and then tested one ram stick. Ran windows memory tool and no problems. Removed the first stick. plugged the second, ran test & no problems. Decided to plug both sticks just to make sure if maybe the second port wasn't problematic, ran tests & no problems. Ran couple of games with firefox in background and multiple apps just to make sure it wasn't ram and so far no crashes. So it looks like it was probably dust, but I clean the computer every once in a while so it was the last thing I expected to make problems. Or maybe some wire wasn't properly plugged. At least it looks like the problem is solved. If it occurs once again, I'll report here.

Oneran, thanks for the support! :)

Two Words

Any ideas why a router would suddenly stop accepting wired connections but still have working wifi? It's a Verizon Fios router. I've tested all ports with a brand new cable and still nothing. It is DHCP enabled and was working perfectly fine until it stopped. I've got a replacement coming in, but is there an easy thing I can try?

oneran

Had some free time today so I decided to test each ram stick. First I've dusted and cleaned the interior of the computer and then tested one ram stick. Ran windows memory tool and no problems. Removed the first stick. plugged the second, ran test & no problems. Decided to plug both sticks just to make sure if maybe the second port wasn't problematic, ran tests & no problems. Ran couple of games with firefox in background and multiple apps just to make sure it wasn't ram and so far no crashes. So it looks like it was probably dust, but I clean the computer every once in a while so it was the last thing I expected to make problems. Or maybe some wire wasn't properly plugged. At least it looks like the problem is solved. If it occurs once again, I'll report here.

Oneran, thanks for the support! :)

No problem, hope it doesn't give you anymore issues.

Any ideas why a router would suddenly stop accepting wired connections but still have working wifi? It's a Verizon Fios router. I've tested all ports with a brand new cable and still nothing. It is DHCP enabled and was working perfectly fine until it stopped. I've got a replacement coming in, but is there an easy thing I can try?

I think you posted this in another thread, but anyway have you tried a hard reset?

Joe

I was fiddling with my router to get my Xbox One to get an Open Nat but now my connection across all devices is fluctuating wildly.

I restored all my router settings to default but it hasn't fixed it.

Router: Linksys WRT54GL
Firmware: Tomato 1.28

Running speed tests on speakeasy and my PC download results are coming in at 15Mbps one test, then 2Mbps the next.

Detailed network stats on XB1 says .88Mbps, 12% packet loss, 1488ms latency, 100% signal strength.

Any ideas?

edit: changed firmware to latest DD-WRT for my router and still having the same issues.

PC: fluctuating between 5-15Mbps
Phone: steady at 8Mbps
Xbox One: steady at 4Mbps

All tested from the same distance of router.

My PC wired to my router gets a steady 25Mbps on speed tests.

would a good, new router give me a steady 25Mbps wireless speeds?

Fezan

Have you tried replacing your monitor cable/trying another input?, also just out of curiosity how many monitors show up on the screen resolution page in control panel because if you have or windows thinks you have a multi-monitor setup it could cause issues.

Yes tried with My TV using HDMI. same issue. And when this happens my keyboard caps lock light etc doesn't turn on or off. Really strange issue. Last 2 days have been fine tough. Tons of dota and MGS hour yet no issue . I cleaned the ram slot the fan etc so my be that's the reason

moka

I was fiddling with my router to get my Xbox One to get an Open Nat but now my connection across all devices is fluctuating wildly.

I restored all my router settings to default but it hasn't fixed it.

Router: Linksys WRT54GL
Firmware: Tomato 1.28

Running speed tests on speakeasy and my PC download results are coming in at 15Mbps one test, then 2Mbps the next.

Detailed network stats on XB1 says .88Mbps, 12% packet loss, 1488ms latency, 100% signal strength.

Any ideas?

edit: changed firmware to latest DD-WRT for my router and still having the same issues.

PC: fluctuating between 5-15Mbps
Phone: steady at 8Mbps
Xbox One: steady at 4Mbps

All tested from the same distance of router.

My PC wired to my router gets a steady 25Mbps on speed tests.

would a good, new router give me a steady 25Mbps wireless speeds?

Check what channel your wifi is on. Put it on Auto then restart your router, see if that fixes it.

Joe

Check what channel your wifi is on. Put it on Auto then restart your router, see if that fixes it.

thanks for the reply. i tried every channel offered and consistently got the same results: 1st speed test would be 15Mbps wireless, then every subsequent test got slower and slower...

i ordered a new router; i really think my trusty old WRT54G is just too old at this point and starting to crap out. hopefully thats the problem at least...

i was having performance and stability issues across 3 different firmwares so it seems likely. will post results tomorrow night.

Hoping you guys can help me. Recently, as of last week, my computer has been locking up, the screen goes black, and the fans rev up to max speed. It sounds like a fucking jet engine and I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Here's the event viewer:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8019584010
BCP2: FFFFF8800F9D4828
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\010515-21590-01.dmp
C:\Users\Ronin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-30217-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Here's my rig.

Intel Core i7 4820k @3.9 ghz (ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R 135mm CPU Cooler attached)
ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
32 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance Pro DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
256 gig SSD as a main drive, 3 1tb additional drives
GeForce 670
Soundblaster Fatality x-fi sound card
CORSAIR Professional Series CMPSU-750AX/RF 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I have all this in a big ass NZXT case. It has plenty of fans and cooling. I have a zalman 9900MAX cooler on the processor. It's run rock solid for almost a year now and this just recently came up. My temps never top over 36 degrees celsius under load, and my graphics card never seems to get above 50-60 degrees celsius. The case is clean, I blow it out regularly.

I use the ASUS overclocking utility and had this rig up to 4.5 stable but I keep it at 4.1 and run the X.M.B. mode to get my ram to 2400mhz. I've brought down the OC and put everything to stock and it's still happening. I can't figure out what it is. Any help you can give would be amazing.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
What are you doing exactly when the computer locks up? Have you tried running the computer without any GPU drivers? Possibly run it in safe mode for a while, browsing the internet, etc. to see if it still does it? If it does, remove your video card and use onboard instead to see if the problem persists.

What are you doing exactly when the computer locks up? Have you tried running the computer without any GPU drivers? Possibly run it in safe mode for a while, browsing the internet, etc. to see if it still does it? If it does, remove your video card and use onboard instead to see if the problem persists.

Sorry about that, I mean to add that.

It was doing it when I was playing games, so my first thought was it was just gaming. I wanted to see if it happened when I would idle, and it does it when the computer is idle too. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. For example, I played WoW the other night with my wife for 3 hours without any issue. Today I had the computer up with GAF and CNN up and it did it. Later this afternoon while it was idling and I wasn't running anything it happened. The screen goes black and the fans go berserk. I have to power it down to get it to stop.

Haxxor

Heya TechGaf!

So I got me a 970 for christmas and loving it sofar, but ive just sumboled upon a problem i can't really seem to solve.

The DSR isn't scaling as it shouls when I use it with my tv (1080p) as the only scaling options only show some wierd aspect ratios and the total resolution is always at 480p.

But when I use DSR on my pc monitor it works flawless.

Any suggestions?

Would be oh so gratefull... :(

anybody know how to fix a laptop saying "plugged in, not charging" without having to turn off the computer? Mine gets this every now and then and a restart/full shut off usually does the trick.

Sorry about that, I mean to add that.

It was doing it when I was playing games, so my first thought was it was just gaming. I wanted to see if it happened when I would idle, and it does it when the computer is idle too. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. For example, I played WoW the other night with my wife for 3 hours without any issue. Today I had the computer up with GAF and CNN up and it did it. Later this afternoon while it was idling and I wasn't running anything it happened. The screen goes black and the fans go berserk. I have to power it down to get it to stop.

I was having a similar problem exclusively with DotA 2 (I also have a GTX 670 and it started after a certain driver update) but it almost completely disappeared when I reformated and with a recent driver package. The best you can really do is try completely removing drivers and reinstalling. If it keeps happening it could be a bad GPU but reformating might not be a bad idea. I also went from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 in the process, not sure what version of Windows you are running.

Heya TechGaf!

So I got me a 970 for christmas and loving it sofar, but ive just sumboled upon a problem i can't really seem to solve.

The DSR isn't scaling as it shouls when I use it with my tv (1080p) as the only scaling options only show some wierd aspect ratios and the total resolution is always at 480p.

But when I use DSR on my pc monitor it works flawless.

Any suggestions?

Would be oh so gratefull... :(

I'm not sure it's intended to be used on TV's--Monitors and TV's operate quite differently despite being essentially the same thing. I think it could be a problem with the Scaler in your TV, you can try setting the card in the Nvidia options to use the card for scaling and see if that alleviates it.

Haxxor

I'm not sure it's intended to be used on TV's--Monitors and TV's operate quite differently despite being essentially the same thing. I think it could be a problem with the Scaler in your TV, you can try setting the card in the Nvidia options to use the card for scaling and see if that alleviates it.

Solved it. Thanks for the help.

Seems it was my reciever. Just set it to not touch the picture and send it to the tv and let the tv take care of that part.

I was having a similar problem exclusively with DotA 2 (I also have a GTX 670 and it started after a certain driver update) but it almost completely disappeared when I reformated and with a recent driver package. The best you can really do is try completely removing drivers and reinstalling. If it keeps happening it could be a bad GPU but reformating might not be a bad idea. I also went from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 in the process, not sure what version of Windows you are running.

That's going to be my next step. Thanks! :)

The amount of hard drive space remaining has been going up and down recently. I use Rainmeter to keep track of remaining hard drive space from my desktop, and I've seen it vary between 90.6 and 89 GB. I'm running a virus scan now, and it's sitting at 90.2 now. I've deleted one podcast file and downloaded a 500 MB file before I started noticing the fluctuations.

xezuru

So couple questions:

At a point where my computer is like 7-8 years old now and want to upgrade maybe half the components now and half later to be easier on my budget as I believe my Case is huge and light, Power Supply is plenty fine (unless suggested otherwise for an old ass PSU), and my Video Card should be fine to wait on at the resolutions and graphics options I play.

Here are the parts I'm looking at, at the moment

Building Questions
1) General advice or recommendations
2) I'm not experienced with RAM speeds over 1600, is it pretty easy to shift through MOBO bios and set that stuff?
3) Also not familiar with the Memory Timings, ones in link are Timing 9-10-9-27, dunno if matters or to worry about it.

Questions about Current setup
4) I've had a couple random blue screens/hard crashes now and then, just recently I found out that sometimes my Motherboard runs damn hot, the CPU does sometimes as well, but according to speccy, CPU caps at like 70c when sometimes it says my MOBO goes to 100c, I have no idea what this could be because I'm not overclocking anything and my case is decently ventilated.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
NVIDIA NFORCE 780i SLI (Socket 775)
Graphics
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (XFX Pine Group)
PSU
Ultra X3 1000W ATX

So I had a bit of an issue a little while ago where I was browsing the internet in Firefox, then the whole browser window went white and a little notification came up telling me about a video error of some sort. A few minutes after, I get a blue-screen and the computer reboots. It seems like it's fine now, but the Windows Action Center made mention that the video card (AMD Radeon HD 7450) stopped working at such-and-such a time. Again, I'm assuming everything is fine right now.

Is there anything I should do at the moment aside from maybe updating video drivers?

Maxim726X

Networking question for you brehs:

Moving into a new apartment, and I intend to set up everything as follows:

- Living room: PS4, Ouya (XMBC, Steam streaming), possibly Wii U, Cable box.
- Man cave (room with modem): PC, PS3, PSTV, X360, Wii

Here is the question: I have 2 powerline adaptors, and 1 8 port switch... My plan was to have all of entertainment devices hardwired, BUT we also need a wireless router. So what's the best way to hook all of this stuff up?

Is it modem-->router--> adaptor?
Or modem-->adaptor AND router?

Does it even make a difference? What's the best way to hook all of this up to ensure the best connection?

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys,

I've been using Outlook 2013 for a while at work and I just upgraded my PC from Win7 to 8.1.

I noticed that now Outlook uses Window's notification system instead of the normal pop-up I used to get in the bottom right corner on Win7.

Is there any ways to force Outlook to use the old notification system instead of the global Win8.1 one?

Hey GAF,

so my brother recently bought a new desktop, and we're having some issues downloading files. it took me a million tries to download skype, and now that I have, it's not working (the windows message pops up and tells me to close the program), and I can't download stead (can't install or write or something.) the thing is, apparently the old desktop had the same problem, so I don't think it's a problem with the computer. is it possible that it's a problem with the connection? Noone else has any trouble downloading things on laptops, so I'm wondering if the wired connection is the problem. Thanks for any help! If I left anything important out please let me know.

edit: Internet browsing works fine. We got Steam to install, but games won't install now

oneran

The amount of hard drive space remaining has been going up and down recently. I use Rainmeter to keep track of remaining hard drive space from my desktop, and I've seen it vary between 90.6 and 89 GB. I'm running a virus scan now, and it's sitting at 90.2 now. I've deleted one podcast file and downloaded a 500 MB file before I started noticing the fluctuations.

Are you sure it's just not shadow copy? It's essentially a windows backup service that is responsible for stuff like system restore you can check your settings and view/adjust the amount of space it uses:

Control Panel > System and Security > System > System Protection > Configure

Just don't disable it outright or set the usage too low or you may not be able to use system restore in event of a problem.

Are you sure it's just not shadow copy? It's essentially a windows backup service that is responsible for stuff like system restore you can check your settings and view/adjust the amount of space it uses:

Control Panel > System and Security > System > System Protection > Configure

Just don't disable it outright or set the usage too low or you may not be able to use system restore in event of a problem.

It uses 2% and 9.31 GB.

oneran

It uses 2% and 9.31 GB.

As long as the virus scan comes up clean I really wouldn't worry about it, it is barely a 1gb difference and there could be numerous legitimate explanations. If your running low on disk space try running disk cleanup.

So couple questions:

At a point where my computer is like 7-8 years old now and want to upgrade maybe half the components now and half later to be easier on my budget as I believe my Case is huge and light, Power Supply is plenty fine (unless suggested otherwise for an old ass PSU), and my Video Card should be fine to wait on at the resolutions and graphics options I play.

Here are the parts I'm looking at, at the moment

Building Questions
1) General advice or recommendations
2) I'm not experienced with RAM speeds over 1600, is it pretty easy to shift through MOBO bios and set that stuff?
3) Also not familiar with the Memory Timings, ones in link are Timing 9-10-9-27, dunno if matters or to worry about it.

4) I've had a couple random blue screens/hard crashes now and then, just recently I found out that sometimes my Motherboard runs damn hot, the CPU does sometimes as well, but according to speccy, CPU caps at like 70c when sometimes it says my MOBO goes to 100c, I have no idea what this could be because I'm not overclocking anything and my case is decently ventilated.

Building Questions

Using your current power supply, gpu, and case should be fine. The parts you picked should work together so other than being careful when installing your components and getting an SSD(If you don't already have one), I have no other advice or recommendations.

The memory is still pretty much plug and play, you can always manually adjust speed and timings if it doesn't auto-detect properly.

The Memory Timing basically measures latency essentially the lower the timings the better, the RAM timings are good for your price point and since your on a budget I really wouldn't worry.

Yes your motherboard and CPU are running way too hot, You can check your cpu heatsink to ensure it is properly seated and reapplying thermal paste may also help.

You may want to also look at the heatsinks on the north/south bridges make sure they are not loose/have fallen off.

(Again be careful and refer to boards manual or ask if your unsure about anything)

Hope that helps!

titch

So I finally went out and purchased some bits to resurrect an old system(well everything bar the case and optical drv). Thanks to the guys on the I need a new pc thread that helped me out.

I am kinda leaning to the I might have a hardware fault and was looking for any suggestions to test the various components to see if anything falls over or anything else someone could suggest.

My main symptoms are with firefox crashing or not redrawing the page(white or black screen sometimes all of the screen sometimes just parts and text/parts of the web page duplicating when scrolling up and down) ive tried a vanilla firefox with the same issues. It regularly crashes on flash videos and give the firefox container error. I've done a bit of google research and nothing really seems to make a difference. I do have loads of tabs 80+ but did the same on my older much lower spec pc with apart from draggings its heels it didn't frequently crash.

I've had one complete hang with the 0x code suggesting a hardware issue but with that being a one off I I will put that down to a hopeful one off.

Ive also noticed on a couple of games the video not being quite right or not loading but a resolution change has resovled that issue.

Z97 Mboard
Intel i3 4160
R9 270x
550watt psu (decent quality)
4gb ram

Cheers

So I finally went out and purchased some bits to resurrect an old system(well everything bar the case and optical drv). Thanks to the guys on the I need a new pc thread that helped me out.

I am kinda leaning to the I might have a hardware fault and was looking for any suggestions to test the various components to see if anything falls over or anything else someone could suggest.

My main symptoms are with firefox crashing or not redrawing the page(white or black screen sometimes all of the screen sometimes just parts and text/parts of the web page duplicating when scrolling up and down) ive tried a vanilla firefox with the same issues. It regularly crashes on flash videos and give the firefox container error. I've done a bit of google research and nothing really seems to make a difference. I do have loads of tabs 80+ but did the same on my older much lower spec pc with apart from draggings its heels it didn't frequently crash.

I've had one complete hang with the 0x code suggesting a hardware issue but with that being a one off I I will put that down to a hopeful one off.

Ive also noticed on a couple of games the video not being quite right or not loading but a resolution change has resovled that issue.

Z97 Mboard
Intel i3 4160
R9 270x
550watt psu (decent quality)
4gb ram

Cheers

Have you tried to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox? Did the same problem occur?
Are the graphics drivers for your 270x updated? Seems like a graphics card/driver issue to me but wait for other opinions.

Top Bottom