• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Top result on Google for CaptureLibLog is the GAF thread you made about it.
I would also run:
Junkware Removal Tool http://thisisudax.org/
SuperAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com/
Spybot Search and Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Just use the free versions of SAS and Spybot. Run each one individually and do full scans until they don't detect anything. You can uninstall them after they scan clean if you want.

Install a good free antivirus like bitdefender, avg, or avast. MSE isn't as good as it used to be.

Thanks for the info. I ran SAS, Spybot, and JRT. None of them found anything major other than some tracking cookies and one small file from an old adware program I had. JRt told me event viewer logs were cleared, but I still see CaptureLibLog and everything else in the log.

Should I just not worry about it? I'm pretty sure it came with Freemake Video Downloader which I uninstalled a while back. I can't find any other signs of it on my comp other than the CaptureLibLog in the event viewer. I guess I'm just paranoid since it says "Enabled".

wilflare

so I bought an Inateck HDD Dock.

It works fine on my Macbook Pro.
However, on my Windows 8.1 Desktop, I am having issues.

The dock keeps connecting and reconnecting - any idea what's up?

The front USB ports I plugged them into are USB3.0 (and the dock is external powered)

Okay GAF, HELP.

I got Spotify Premium and cannot download songs to use offline. I have space on my phone, I have saved the albums onto playlists and it won't download them. I can't start them, I have all the settings right as I have friends who have it and they're all bemused so...somebody! I'm essentially wasting £10 a month here so need to fix or cancel it!

Thanks!

Symphonia

Banned
Okay GAF, HELP.

I got Spotify Premium and cannot download songs to use offline. I have space on my phone, I have saved the albums onto playlists and it won't download them. I can't start them, I have all the settings right as I have friends who have it and they're all bemused so...somebody! I'm essentially wasting £10 a month here so need to fix or cancel it!

Thanks!
Have you already to tried to logout and login afterwards? Sometimes something as simple as this can fix the problem. You may also want to try to reinstall Spotify on Android or iOS.

oneran

having issues after my new ssd install, my other drives now disappeared from my bios, and this fresh 8.1 install feels laggy and audio is slow and choppy, any ideas?

edit: unplugged the ssd and the 2 drives reappeared, so seems like maybe a faulty ssd or my old gb p67a-ud3 mobo just doesn't like the new ssd for some reason :/

tried the ssd in both my 6gb/s ports and same issue in both, even tried different sata cables, pretty bummed with my 1st ssd experience, was soo excited...

You may want to try updating the firmware on the ssd and your motherboard's bios if possible.

Guys, as you know I had black screen and thumbnail problems.
And I reinstalled windows so the black screen got fixed.
Though, I am still facing thumbnail problems and I work with pictures the most time and this is pretty annoying.

Okay GAF, HELP.

Thanks!

Sounds like a question for Spotify support.

Guys, as you know I had black screen and thumbnail problems.
And I reinstalled windows so the black screen got fixed.
Though, I am still facing thumbnail problems and I work with pictures the most time and this is pretty annoying.

You'll need to be more specific about your thumbnail problem.

oneran

Sometimes they keep all refreshing. And sometimes if they do, some of those won't and then there's just the jpg/png/gif logo thumbnail.

You may want to ensure the folder options properly reset when you re-installed windows

Open libraries folder on your task-bar (or any other file explorer window)
Switch to the view plane and select options
A folder options window should popup Switch to the view tab
Ensure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked
Click apply and close both windows

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I am having a problem with my steam games crashing my whole laptop, forcing me to reboot which takes an unusually long time to do so. These games actually run fine in terms of framerate at high resolutions, but kill my laptop after a few minutes of play. What's going on.

I have a lenovo y510p for the record

vypek

Okay, I am having a problem with my steam games crashing my whole laptop, forcing me to reboot which takes an unusually long time to do so. These games actually run fine in terms of framerate at high resolutions, but kill my laptop after a few minutes of play. What's going on.

What exactly happens when it crashes? Just instant turn off or something else?

I used to have something similar happen to me and it was just a case of my laptop overheating.

Veelk

Banned
What exactly happens when it crashes? Just instant turn off or something else?

I used to have something similar happen to me and it was just a case of my laptop overheating.
Computer just freezes completely. I have to do a hard reboot, but that creates some kind of issues. Right now, it's been booting for 10+ minutes

oneran

Computer just freezes completely. I have to do a hard reboot, but that creates some kind of issues. Right now, it's been booting for 10+ minutes

When it freezes does it give you a blue screen? You should also check event viewer and post any critical errors.

In the mean time:

Ensure your gpu drivers are up to date and ensure to get them from nvidia's website (assuming gt750m).

You may want to run a checkdisk and check the smart status of your hard drive.

And as tempest3 said check your temperatures.

the 2 hdds were only ever connected to the 2 6gb/s ports, never used any of the 3gb/s ports. Set sata mode to ahci in the bios as well. Upon further googling, my mobo may be an early sandy bridge with dying/ dead sata 2 ports (would explain why my dvd drive never detected in the 2.0 ports). Will try the solid state tomorrow by itself, perhaps having anything connected to those failing ports causes weird issues. Tried finding both bios and ssd firmware as well to no avail

Other than exchanging/returning the drive I really can't think of anything else. Sorry!

You may want to ensure the folder options properly reset when you re-installed windows

Open libraries folder on your task-bar (or any other file explorer window)
Switch to the view plane and select options
A folder options window should popup Switch to the view tab
Ensure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked
Click apply and close both windows

It is unchecked.

Dr. Buni

I asked this on the dsfix thread, but I might as well ask it here: After the Steamworks patch, I am having a lot of trouble with the framerate in Dark Souls. It is all over the place, going from around 15 fps to 44 at most. I tried reinstalling the game and it runs fine at 60fps (with dsfix, of course) with GFWL, but once I updated to Steamworks again, the framerate went nuts again. I already tried removing dsfix as well as downgrading to previous versions of the fix, but no success. In the worst case scenario, I'd be okay with playing the game offline without the Steamworks patch, but I can't even do that, because the game doesn't save my progress when playing with GFWL.

Help please?

Edit: Fixed the issue by formatting the computer. Thanks anyways!

Siegmeyer

Hey GAF, I hope this is the right place for this, can't hurt to ask.

I recently moved back to my Mum's for a few months in between house moves. Running a connection test using an ethernet cable straight into the router gave download speeds of between 40-45 Mb/s. I used homeplugs/powerlines to set it up in my in my room, and the speeds there were between 30-35Mb/s.

However, over the past couple of days the speeds are much slower. As low as 5Mb/s and nothing higher than 17Mb/s. The setup is completely unchanged, the only thing I can think might have affected it was my Mum flipping the main power switch in the fusebox to try and turn the fire alarm off.

I've just tested it by plugging directly into the router again and the speed there is still 40-45 Mb/s, so it seems to be a homeplug issue.

Can homeplugs 'wear out'? Can they be reset? Any other things I could try?

Any help much appreciated.

oneran

It is unchecked.

You can try clearing the thumbnail cache through disk cleanup like before

charm Bar>Search>Disk cleanup> Run the program and uncheck everything, then check off thumbnails and click ok

You could also try manually deleting the thumbnail.db files in C:\Users\[account name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

But you most likely have one or more corrupt JPEGs/image files which is interfering with the thumbnail generation.

Hey GAF, I hope this is the right place for this, can't hurt to ask.

I recently moved back to my Mum's for a few months in between house moves. Running a connection test using an ethernet cable straight into the router gave download speeds of between 40-45 Mb/s. I used homeplugs/powerlines to set it up in my in my room, and the speeds there were between 30-35Mb/s.

However, over the past couple of days the speeds are much slower. As low as 5Mb/s and nothing higher than 17Mb/s. The setup is completely unchanged, the only thing I can think might have affected it was my Mum flipping the main power switch in the fusebox to try and turn the fire alarm off.

I've just tested it by plugging directly into the router again and the speed there is still 40-45 Mb/s, so it seems to be a homeplug issue.

Can homeplugs 'wear out'? Can they be reset? Any other things I could try?

Any help much appreciated.

You may want to try them with different outlets if possible/ you haven't already done so, but one or the other could have been damaged by a surge when you flipped the breaker back on.

Do you have the make/model of your adapter? and has anyone in the house plugged in anything new especially surge protectors that could filter/distort the signal from the adapter.

Siegmeyer

You may want to try them with different outlets if possible/ you haven't already done so, but one or the other could have been damaged by a surge when you flipped the breaker back on.

Do you have the make/model of your adapter? and has anyone in the house plugged in anything new especially surge protectors that could filter/distort the signal from the adapter.

I downloaded the pdf of my homeplugs and tried numerous re-syncs and resets, then unplugged both for a good ten minutes and it seems to be fixed now. Strange as I did all that already the first day of the problem and it did nothing.

Hi, recently bought a Win 8 laptop after being out of the PC game for a while..

My laptop has a resolution of 1366 x 768 - however, when I play certain games ( Mirrors Edge, Burnout Paradise ) - they seem to play in a small box in the middle of the screen, rather than full screen. Even changing the resolution of the game doesn't appear to make any difference?

I'm guessing I'm being really stupid here....but how do I force them to run full screen??!?

( Integrated GPU by the way, Intel 4400 - so even though its not great...it still you at least display the games full screen!! )

Sini

My friend has an issue with is Gigabyte GTX970. He gets BSODs while playing Guild Wars 2. Minidump says it's Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys that causes this. He only gets these when in less demanding least crowded areas. Also temperatures go unusually high there as well. Normally they are 55 degrees, but in less demanding (at least we assume) places they go as high as 69 degrees.
He already tried older drivers, but the issue still persists.
He hasn't overclocked his card. I suggested him to lower VRAM and core frequencies by 100MHz to see if that affects something.

Edit: decreasing clocks made it not BSOD. Should he RMA it?

Hi, recently bought a Win 8 laptop after being out of the PC game for a while..

My laptop has a resolution of 1366 x 768 - however, when I play certain games ( Mirrors Edge, Burnout Paradise ) - they seem to play in a small box in the middle of the screen, rather than full screen. Even changing the resolution of the game doesn't appear to make any difference?

I'm guessing I'm being really stupid here....but how do I force them to run full screen??!?

( Integrated GPU by the way, Intel 4400 - so even though its not great...it still you at least display the games full screen!! )
Change the game resolution to match the display's native resolution or enable scaling in the Intel video drivers (if there is such an option).
My friend has an issue with is Gigabyte GTX970. He gets BSODs while playing Guild Wars 2. Minidump says it's Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys that causes this. He only gets these when in less demanding least crowded areas. Also temperatures go unusually high there as well. Normally they are 55 degrees, but in less demanding (at least we assume) places they go as high as 69 degrees.
He already tried older drivers, but the issue still persists.
He hasn't overclocked his card. I suggested him to lower VRAM and core frequencies by 100MHz to see if that affects something.
Is it a 116 bsod code? I had that exact issue with an EVGA 970 card. My problem turned out to be my power supply. Can you try his card in your machine?

Edit: My issue didn't correspond with any increase in temperature.

Sini

Is it a 116 bsod code? I had that exact issue with an EVGA 970 card. My problem turned out to be my power supply. Can you try his card in your machine?

Edit: My issue didn't correspond with any increase in temperature.
Sadly we don't live in same country.

Edit: It's 116 error code indeed.

Sadly we don't live in same country.

Edit: It's 116 error code indeed.

Check my post a few pages back for the DDU utility. Have them wipe out any previous drivers with that utility and then reinstall the latest nvidia drivers.

Here's a quote from EVGA tech support regarding PSU voltages and the 116 BSOD:
Another thing that might cause similar issues would be improper power from the power supply. To verify the power supply's voltages, go into the motherboard BIOS and look for something along the lines of pc health/system status/system monitoring. In there, you are looking for the 12v rail. You will want the voltages to be somewhere between 11.5-12.5v with fluctuations less than .05v. You will also want both the 3.3v and 5v to be within 5% of those values. If anything is outside of those ranges, you may need to replace your power supply.

See if they can test the card in another PC, or if they can try a different PSU. If all else fails, have them contact gigabyte support.

Ravijn

Sini, does the owner of the 970 have either MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision installed? If so, try uninstalling that and see what happens.

Kaladin

PS3 just got the yellow light of death, a week or so after upgrading to a PS4 and giving it to my fiance. It has had problems before where it would shut off randomly, but nothing this major.

What is the next step? It's a launch unit so I would like to salvage it as best as I can for the backwards compatibility. Do I do the hair dryer trick? I thought of doing that and getting one of those cooling systems.

PS3 just got the yellow light of death, a week or so after upgrading to a PS4 and giving it to my fiance. It has had problems before where it would shut off randomly, but nothing this major.

What is the next step? It's a launch unit so I would like to salvage it as best as I can for the backwards compatibility. Do I do the hair dryer trick? I thought of doing that and getting one of those cooling systems.
You can revive it, but it will die again. I also would use an actual heatgun and not a hairdryer.

Most PS3s I reflowed would get about 3 months of use before dying again. Reflowing with flux the second time would get maybe 2 months out of it. After the 4th time fixing the same PS3 it died in a week. After that I reflowed it one more time and we did a system transfer to a new PS3.

I reflowed 6 different PS3s, 4 of which the owner attempted to use again, and each of them died again. For each I did the job a second time and transferred to a new system

Ifixit sells a kit including all the tools, thermal pads and thermal paste required to reflow a fat PS3. They even have a pretty good video tutorial. https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/PlayStation-3-Yellow-Light-of-Death-YLOD-Fix-Kit/IF213-028

Sini

Check my post a few pages back for the DDU utility. Have them wipe out any previous drivers with that utility and then reinstall the latest nvidia drivers.

Here's a quote from EVGA tech support regarding PSU voltages and the 116 BSOD:

See if they can test the card in another PC, or if they can try a different PSU. If all else fails, have them contact gigabyte support.
He already had wiped them completely with that program and I'll ask him if he has possibility to test it in another computer.
Sini, does the owner of the 970 have either MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision installed? If so, try uninstalling that and see what happens.
I got him to install Afterburner after he told me about the issue so I don't think that'll change anything.

Thanks for replies guys

Today he got it to BSOD even while downclocked so that theory is out I guess.
All these crashes happen in GW2 and in one compact area. Could it just be GW2 fault? He's really afraid of RMA'ing it.

Not so much a tech support problem but I didn't want to make a thread so here goes.

I ran a website for a time that I no longer give a shit about so I don't want to pay what I currently am for hosting. But, I do want to keep the domain and transfer over various email addresses that I've got for that domain.

Where/what should I be looking for in terms of hosting for that sort of thing?

He already had wiped them completely with that program and I'll ask him if he has possibility to test it in another computer.

I got him to install Afterburner after he told me about the issue so I don't think that'll change anything.

Thanks for replies guys

Today he got it to BSOD even while downclocked so that theory is out I guess.
All these crashes happen in GW2 and in one compact area. Could it just be GW2 fault? He's really afraid of RMA'ing it.

Have him check the voltages in the BIOS, make sure they are within tolerances. Also have him try furmark and/or Unigine Valley (free version) to see if he gets a bsod with those as well.

I linked to furmark earlier in the thread, check back in the last few pages.

https://unigine.com/products/valley/download/

Furmark has been ran for a hour. Temps never exceeded 71 degrees and no BSOD.
Does GW2 have the ability to verify the integrity of the game files? If not, can they uninstall and reinstall the game? Given that it seems to only happen in GW2, in one specific area, maybe there's a corrupt texture or something that's causing the game to misbehave.

Sini

Does GW2 have the ability to verify the integrity of the game files? If not, can they uninstall and reinstall the game? Given that it seems to only happen in GW2, in one specific area, maybe there's a corrupt texture or something that's causing the game to misbehave.
He has repaired and even re-installed the whole game.
That area also makes gpu get hotter than normal for GW2. You would suspect that it might be rendering ludicrous amount of unneeded frames, but he has framerate cap activated.

He has repaired and even re-installed the whole game.
That area also makes gpu get hotter than normal for GW2. You would suspect that it might be rendering ludicrous amount of unneeded frames, but he has framerate cap activated.

I should have asked this before, is their CPU overclocked? If it is, have them set it to stock, see if they still BSOD.

Provided all their PSU voltages are within tolerances, it could be a problem with the card. They should probably contact Gigabyte support at this point.

My system was fine for years with an AMD 6970, but about a week after installing a new GTX 970 I started getting BSOD 116. Switched back to the 6970, no BSOD. Switched back again to the 970 and first I got a BSOD, then my system refused to boot. RMAed my PSU and problem solved. I've been BSOD free for 2 weeks now.

Sini

I should have asked this before, is their CPU overclocked? If it is, have them set it to stock, see if they still BSOD.

Provided all their PSU voltages are within tolerances, it could be a problem with the card. They should probably contact Gigabyte support at this point.

My system was fine for years with an AMD 6970, but about a week after installing a new GTX 970 I started getting BSOD 116. Switched back to the 6970, no BSOD. Switched back again to the 970 and first I got a BSOD, then my system refused to boot. RMAed my PSU and problem solved. I've been BSOD free for 2 weeks now.
He doesn't have overclockable cpu.
I'll let him check PSU voltages tomorrow.

Kaladin

You can revive it, but it will die again. I also would use an actual heatgun and not a hairdryer.

Most PS3s I reflowed would get about 3 months of use before dying again. Reflowing with flux the second time would get maybe 2 months out of it. After the 4th time fixing the same PS3 it died in a week. After that I reflowed it one more time and we did a system transfer to a new PS3.

I reflowed 6 different PS3s, 4 of which the owner attempted to use again, and each of them died again. For each I did the job a second time and transferred to a new system

Ifixit sells a kit including all the tools, thermal pads and thermal paste required to reflow a fat PS3. They even have a pretty good video tutorial. https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Game-Console/PlayStation-3-Yellow-Light-of-Death-YLOD-Fix-Kit/IF213-028

Thanks, will probably try the heatgun fix and then look into replacing the system. Sucks that it happens as I give it to someone else, but at least with something like this I know it was something that happened over time and there was nothing I could really do for it.

This is a launch PS3, was surprised it lasted this long.

Thanks, will probably try the heatgun fix and then look into replacing the system. Sucks that it happens as I give it to someone else, but at least with something like this I know it was something that happened over time and there was nothing I could really do for it.

This is a launch PS3, was surprised it lasted this long.

Reflowing is only part of the fix. Cleaning the surfaces, reapplying thermal compound and replacing the thermal pads helps ensure the fix actually lasts.

Kaladin

Reflowing is only part of the fix. Cleaning the surfaces, reapplying thermal compound and replacing the thermal pads helps ensure the fix actually lasts.

Is that whole process more than a temporary fix? Everything I've read seems to say that anything you do is a temp solution.

Is that whole process more than a temporary fix? Everything I've read seems to say that anything you do is a temp solution.

The problem seems to be that the heat over time causes the solder to crack and break connection between the components and the motherboard. Reflowing means melting the solder to eliminate those cracks and reestablish the connection. Replacing the thermal pads and thermal paste helps keep it from getting as hot.

With a good reflow and proper application of the thermal pads/paste it should last a good while.

Kaladin

The problem seems to be that the heat over time causes the solder to crack and break connection between the components and the motherboard. Reflowing means melting the solder to eliminate those cracks and reestablish the connection. Replacing the thermal pads and thermal paste helps keep it from getting as hot.

With a good reflow and proper application of the thermal pads/paste it should last a good while.

Thanks....I'll look into getting the kit if it's a longer term solution to do the whole thing.

You get nervous any time you crack open a piece of electronics like this, but it seems fairly straight forward.

Thanks....I'll look into getting the kit if it's a longer term solution to do the whole thing.

You get nervous any time you crack open a piece of electronics like this, but it seems fairly straight forward.

Watch a few videos of the procedure before you do it yourself. You may also want to buy a can of compressed air to clean out any dust in the chassis and blower assembly while you're in there. Don't let the compressed air spin the blower if you can help it. Prevent it from spinning with a finger or thumb before blowing into it. Taking pictures as you go can help with reassembly. You can do it.

Roo

How can I get rid of malware?
A week ago a friend asked me if I could help him to do some homework so I brought my laptop to his place.
He used his USB drive and he visited some sites because he said he needed some stuff from them. I didn't say anything because I thought he knows these sites and he trusts them.

Nothing unusual happened then so I turned off my laptop when we were done and went home.
The next time I turn it on I notice it takes way too long to load the black Windows screen and it takes even longer to show the password screen.

At that point I didn't pay too much attention but it has been like that for a week.

Today, when I pressed the power button a black CHKDSK screen pops up saying it needs to it verify the file system integrity and whatnot. I'm like.. ok, this is weird but something caught my attention.
When it was about 80% complete, it says it is recovering several orphan files.

googl._2esmalware (and similar files) was among those recovered orphan files so now I'm really worried =/

Everything runs perfectly, I don't notice any slowdown on my laptop's performance but I'd like to know how to get rid of that shit.

How can I get rid of malware?
A week ago a friend asked me if I could help him to do some homework so I brought my laptop to his place.
He used his USB drive and he visited some sites because he said he needed some stuff from them. I didn't say anything because I thought he knows these sites and he trusts them.

Nothing unusual happened then so I turned off my laptop when we were done and went home.
The next time I turn it on I notice it takes way too long to load the black Windows screen and it takes even longer to show the password screen.

At that point I didn't pay too much attention but it has been like that for a week.

Today, when I pressed the power button a black CHKDSK screen pops up saying it needs to it verify the file system integrity and whatnot. I'm like.. ok, this is weird but something caught my attention.
When it was about 80% complete, it says it is recovering several orphan files.

googl._2esmalware (and similar files) was among those recovered orphan files so now I'm really worried =/

Everything runs perfectly, I don't notice any slowdown on my laptop's performance but I'd like to know how to get rid of that shit.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Just use the free versions of MBAM, SAS and Spybot. Run each one individually and do full scans until they don't detect anything. You can uninstall them after they scan clean if you want.

Install a good antivirus like Bitdefender, AVG, or Avast. They all have free versions, but if you can afford it, get a paid version. I recommend Bitdefender.

Roo

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Just use the free versions of MBAM, SAS and Spybot. Run each one individually and do full scans until they don't detect anything. You can uninstall them after they scan clean if you want.

Install a good antivirus like Bitdefender, AVG, or Avast. They all have free versions, but if you can afford it, get a paid version. I recommend Bitdefender.
Thanks. I'll try all of them later today.
I have Avast installed but it didn't detect anything :/

Thanks. I'll try all of them later today.
I have Avast installed but it didn't detect anything :/

It doesn't sound like malware to me. It sounds like your computer crashed and your hard drive got a little corrupted.

The scary sounding files that it recovered might have been malware signature files used by antivirus or your web browser.

Roo

It doesn't sound like malware to me. It sounds like your computer crashed and your hard drive got a little corrupted.

The scary sounding files that it recovered might have been malware signature files used by antivirus or your web browser.

This is actually nteresting.
A couple days before going to my friend's house, the computer wanted to install the usual Windows updates.
it was around 2 am and it already had 8 out of 22 updates installed so I simply left the computer there to finish it's job and I went to bed.
I woke up 5 hours later and I noticed it was stuck in the same 8th update.

I got the usual "Please Do not power off or unplug you machine" screen but I had no choice. It was stuck there so I had to hard shut down the damn thing.

I entered safe mode, I used the restore point made by the updates and finally installed them manually again with no problem.

Is it possible the CHKDSK screen is related to that?
It's the first time I see that.
Heck, I didn't even know such thing existed.

oneran

This is actually nteresting.
A couple days before going to my friend's house, the computer wanted to install the usual Windows updates.
it was around 2 am and it already had 8 out of 22 updates installed so I simply left the computer there to finish it's job and I went to bed.
I woke up 5 hours later and I noticed it was stuck in the same 8th update.

I got the usual "Please Do not power off or unplug you machine" screen but I had no choice. It was stuck there so I had to hard shut down the damn thing.

I entered safe mode, I used the restore point made by the updates and finally installed them manually again with no problem.

Is it possible the CHKDSK screen is related to that?
It's the first time I see that.
Heck, I didn't even know such thing existed.

The check disk is most likely related to the forced shutdown, however you should probably run at least malwarebytes just to be sure.

Also are you sure avast didn't already find it and quarantine it? Check your statistics page or virus chest in avast.

Yeah, the chkdsk is expected if you force your computer to shutdown without going through the shutdown process. When that happens, the data in your hard disk might be left in an inconsistent state, because perhaps it was about to write some data when the power was suddenly cut off. As a precaution, Windows will check the integrity of the entire filesystem if it detects that the computer wasn't shut down properly. That's what the chkdsk was.

8byte

Banned
Can anyone tell me if you can move files to a restoration partition and move them back after you restore your PC? Or can you not put things on the restoration partition?

Top Bottom