• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

oneran

I assume so? I ran the bootcamp installer which usually installs all the needed drivers, and it has only crashed playing Dota recently. Would bootcamp have missed this driver?

Sorry, I just looked over your original post if you are indeed using the macbook in the link provided you need Nvidia drivers not amd

Bootcamp may not have missed the driver, but it could be out of date.

You can try the Auto-Detect Your GPU or download GeForce Experience from nvidia's website and see if it finds any newer drivers.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Okey doke. That was successful, however I still got the BSOD at restart. :(

Is hiberfil.sys still in the root of your c:/ upon restart?

Recently did a fresh install of W8 and now my PC freezez whenever it goes into sleep . (after 2 hours of inactivity) I used to have a similar problem with a laptop a few years back, but managed to fix it with changing power setings and disabling fast startup.
I alredy tried everything in the power settings and i can't seem to fix it that way. Also i only experience this with W8 and not with W7 on my desktop.

Anyone experienced a similar problem?

Chances are something in OS didn't install correctly or a driver is out of date:

Try running SFC /SCANNOW in an elevated command prompt, if it says it made corrections run it again until it says it did not find any integrity violations. If it says Found but could not fix some Corrupt files post back and we'll have a closer look.

Check to ensure you have the latest display and motherboard chip-set/component drivers installed.

RetroMG

I need some help, Tech Support GAF. My cable modem and router are in my living room with my Xbone, but I wanted to have a wired ethernet connection to my office, where my desktop and PS4 are. So I ran an ethernet cable from the living room to a 5-port switch, and hooked it up to my PC and PS4, and for a while, everything was good.
This weekend, I replaced my netgear router with a Buffalo router. Same setup and everything, but now the devices in my office can't get internet from the switch. They insist that the only connection with internet is the wifi.

Any ideas, GAF? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere in the new router that's keeping me from using the switch?

oneran

I need some help, Tech Support GAF. My cable modem and router are in my living room with my Xbone, but I wanted to have a wired ethernet connection to my office, where my desktop and PS4 are. So I ran an ethernet cable from the living room to a 5-port switch, and hooked it up to my PC and PS4, and for a while, everything was good.
This weekend, I replaced my netgear router with a Buffalo router. Same setup and everything, but now the devices in my office can't get internet from the switch. They insist that the only connection with internet is the wifi.

Any ideas, GAF? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere in the new router that's keeping me from using the switch?

Do the ports between your router and your switch light up? and are you sure your dhcp settings are the same?

RetroMG

Do the ports between your router and your switch light up? and are you sure your dhcp settings are the same?

The ports are lighting up.

When you ask if the DHCP settings are the same - do you mean between the two routers? I will check that in a bit - I have to run out now, but I'll investigate when I get home.

oneran

It appears that it is. I'm stumped. :(

As am I, are there any other critical events in event viewer?

You can also turn hibernation back off if you need the space, if you do can you check if hiberfil.sys deletes itself because you never should have had to manually delete it in the first place.

I have a MacBook Pro (early 2011) that had OS X Lion installed, but the hard drive gave out on me.

Now I'm about to buy a new hard drive but... where do I download OS X Lion? I remember that I upgraded the OS for free from the Apple website but I can't seem to find the link anymore (at least not the the free version).

So, how / where can I get the OS so I can be up and running again? Or what is the process exactly? Sorry, I've never installed a brand new OS from a clean hard drive before on a Mac!

woodland

Do you have the Apple Boot Camp Software Graphics Drivers installed?
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp

So you posted this last week and I didn't get to answer too much since I forgot my password for Neogaf and the site was acting weird. Anyway. New news. Tried playing it on OS X (Dota) instead of my Windows partition and I get the same results, the screen does that thing where it sets itself off.

It's gotten a tad worse, but the other day if I have a big load on my processor (like importing 200 20mb raw files into iPhoto) it pulled the same graphics issue. It seems like it's only when Dota's open though, the second I close Dota the screen slides back to normal on my OS X. Any ideas?

oneran

So you posted this last week and I didn't get to answer too much since I forgot my password for Neogaf and the site was acting weird. Anyway. New news. Tried playing it on OS X (Dota) instead of my Windows partition and I get the same results, the screen does that thing where it sets itself off.

It's gotten a tad worse, but the other day if I have a big load on my processor (like importing 200 20mb raw files into iPhoto) it pulled the same graphics issue. It seems like it's only when Dota's open though, the second I close Dota the screen slides back to normal on my OS X. Any ideas?

Don't know if you saw this but I'll post it again:

Sorry, I just looked over your original post if you are indeed using the macbook in the link provided you would need Nvidia drivers not amd

Bootcamp may not have missed the driver, but it could be out of date.

If your using nvidia you can try the Auto-Detect Your GPU or download GeForce Experience from nvidia's website and see if it finds any newer drivers. You should be using a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M if you want to do a manual update simply select geforce 300m series and your OS from the drop down dialog boxes under manual driver search.
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

*If your experiencing the same problem across both os's chances are it's a hardware problem, however you should really try updating your drivers (under windows at least). Also have you tried disabling automatic graphics switching in energy saver under osx?

MrDaravon

Is this an appropriate thread to ask a hardware support issue for? Very long story short having a problem with getting a GPU heatsink removed in a laptop (GPU is running way too hot). Can post details and pics, but wasn't sure if there was a hardware support thread I wasn't finding?

Not really a tech question but figured somebody here might know....is there a way to get rid of these annoying fucking thumbnail previews?
nVBCwEG.jpg

Maybe my google skills arent't that great, but I haven't been able to find a solution. I'm tired of accidentally clicking on these damn things.

Rufus

Not really a tech question but figured somebody here might know....is there a way to get rid of these annoying fucking thumbnail previews?
nVBCwEG.jpg

Maybe my google skills arent't that great, but I haven't been able to find a solution. I'm tired of accidentally clicking on these damn things.
The feature is called Aero Peek and in Win7 at least (I think you're using Vista?) you can right click on your task bar > properties and then on the taskbar rider there's a setion called "Desktop preview with Aero Peek" or whatever (my Win is set to German, could be off) and just uncheck the box.

Esque7

So my laptop has been having an issue for the past week or so now; every time I try to wake it from sleep mode it freezes. I just get a black screen and nothing else. It also will randomly freeze whenever in use now (a black screen just appears). I installed some windows updates on the 12th, and after this is when the issues started to appear so I figured the updates may be the issue. So I checked the updates and one failed, but the following day it was successfully installed.

I ran a SFC scan to check for any issues, but it stopped at 55% and gave me the error "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation." Then I tried chkdsk /f /r which found some issues and fixed them. I tried a SFC scan again which worked and found some corrupt files but could not fix them, so I imagine these are the problem, but I have no idea what to do now. Here's what the scan found:

2015-02-24 22:37:35, Info CSI 0000010b [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2015-02-24 22:37:47, Info CSI 0000010d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7601.17577, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-02-24 22:37:57, Info CSI 0000011a [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7601.17577, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-02-24 22:37:57, Info CSI 0000011b [SR] This component was referenced by [l:150{75}]"Package_2_for_KB2506212~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.2.2506212-4_neutral_GDR"
2015-02-24 22:37:57, Info CSI 0000011e [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

2015-02-24 22:44:04, Info CSI 000001e5 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2015-02-24 22:44:07, Info CSI 000001e7 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7601.17577, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-02-24 22:44:07, Info CSI 000001e9 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7601.17577, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-02-24 22:44:07, Info CSI 000001ea [SR] This component was referenced by [l:150{75}]"Package_2_for_KB2506212~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.2.2506212-4_neutral_GDR"
2015-02-24 22:44:07, Info CSI 000001ed [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

Any help would be great :) I'm going crazy over this. (Btw I'm running W7)

The feature is called Aero Peek and in Win7 at least (I think you're using Vista?) you can right click on your task bar > properties and then on the taskbar rider there's a setion called "Desktop preview with Aero Peek" or whatever (my Win is set to German, could be off) and just uncheck the box.

I'm on 7. That option is unchecked and grayed out (can't select it) for some reason.

oneran

I'm on 7. That option is unchecked and grayed out (can't select it) for some reason.

The only way I know of disabling it is by unchecking the enable desktop composition option in
performance options however you will lose the glass effects of aero.

System properties > Advanced Tab > Performance settings

Edit: you can also change your theme to windows 7 basic and it will accomplish the same thing

The only way I know of disabling it is by unchecking the enable desktop composition option in
performance options however you will use the glass effects of aero.

System properties > Advanced Tab > Performance settings

Edit: you can also change your theme to windows 7 basic and it will accomplish the same thing

Hm, desktop comp. is checked but aero peek option is still disabled. For now, I give up again. How is thumbnail preview not a stand-alone option to select/deselect.

oneran

Hm, desktop comp. is checked but aero peek option is still disabled. For now, I give up again. How is thumbnail preview not a stand-alone option to select/deselect.

Aero peek only makes windows transparent when you hover over the bottom right corner of the screen it does not generate the thumbnail preview. But if you really want to change the option just ensure the enable aero peek option is checked off in performance options, after that the aero peek option in task bar should no longer be grayed out.

Changing your theme to windows 7 basic should eliminate the previews but as I said you will lose the glass effects of aero

So my laptop has been having an issue for the past week or so now; every time I try to wake it from sleep mode it freezes. I just get a black screen and nothing else. It also will randomly freeze whenever in use now (a black screen just appears). I installed some windows updates on the 12th, and after this is when the issues started to appear so I figured the updates may be the issue. So I checked the updates and one failed, but the following day it was successfully installed.

I ran a SFC scan to check for any issues, but it stopped at 55% and gave me the error "Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation." Then I tried chkdsk /f /r which found some issues and fixed them. I tried a SFC scan again which worked and found some corrupt files but could not fix them, so I imagine these are the problem, but I have no idea what to do now. Here's what the scan found:

2015-02-24 22:37:35, Info CSI 0000010b [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2015-02-24 22:37:47, Info CSI 0000010d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7601.17577, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-02-24 22:37:57, Info CSI 0000011a [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7601.17577, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-02-24 22:37:57, Info CSI 0000011b [SR] This component was referenced by [l:150{75}]"Package_2_for_KB2506212~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.2.2506212-4_neutral_GDR"
2015-02-24 22:37:57, Info CSI 0000011e [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

2015-02-24 22:44:04, Info CSI 000001e5 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2015-02-24 22:44:07, Info CSI 000001e7 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7601.17577, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-02-24 22:44:07, Info CSI 000001e9 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-MFC42x, Version = 6.1.7601.17577, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-02-24 22:44:07, Info CSI 000001ea [SR] This component was referenced by [l:150{75}]"Package_2_for_KB2506212~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.2.2506212-4_neutral_GDR"
2015-02-24 22:44:07, Info CSI 000001ed [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"mfc42u.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

Any help would be great :) I'm going crazy over this. (Btw I'm running W7)

You can try replacing manually replacing mfc42u.dll from a good Win 7 installation and reinstalling update KB2506212, but honestly your probably better off just backing up and reinstalling windows. Also you should run chkdsk /r again until it doesn't find anything then re-run sfc.

Esque7

You can try replacing manually replacing mfc42u.dll from a good Win 7 installation and reinstalling update KB2506212, but honestly your probably better off just backing up and reinstalling windows. Also you should run chkdsk /r again until it doesn't find anything then re-run sfc.

Thanks for the help, figured those were my only options. Might just end up getting a new laptop after I do a fresh install since this is the 3rd time this has happened with this one, and it's currently going on its 6th year. I'd imagine I could find some budget laptops that have much better performance than this thing.

Big Chungus

I've been using my integrated GPU (intel hd) since I had to send my video card away for an RMA, ever since then my hard drive activity is up 200%

I can hear it grinding away, this didnt happen when I used my video card.

Anyone know whats up?

oneran

Thanks for the help, figured those were my only options. Might just end up getting a new laptop after I do a fresh install since this is the 3rd time this has happened with this one, and it's currently going on its 6th year. I'd imagine I could find some budget laptops that have much better performance than this thing.

If Chkdsk found bad sectors it's most likely your Drive that is corrupting the files. If you have another installation source such as a windows 7 installation dvd you could try using that in case the wim file on your recovery partition is faulty. Anyway the best of luck too you!

I've been using my integrated GPU (intel hd) since I had to send my video card away for an RMA, ever since then my hard drive activity is up 200%

I can hear it grinding away, this didnt happen when I used my video card.

Anyone know whats up?

You should check your disk activity in resource monitor too see what process/files are drawing the highest read/write values

Big Chungus

If Chkdsk found bad sectors it's most likely your Drive that is corrupting the files. If you have another installation source such as a windows 7 installation dvd you could try using that in case the wim file on your recovery partition is faulty. Anyway the best of luck too you!

You should check your disk activity in resource monitor too see what process/files are drawing the highest read/write values

This is what i'm getting:

DlbsPMH.jpg

Also, would it be better to have an older video card installed rather than using the integrated gpu?

I have a 8800 gt thats not being, I know it's from 2006/2007 but wondering if its better than using the Intel HD 4600 integrated gpu.

oneran

This is what i'm getting:

DlbsPMH.jpg

Also, would it be better to have an older video card installed rather than using the integrated gpu?

I have a 8800 gt thats not being, I know it's from 2006/2007 but wondering if its better than using the Intel HD 4600 integrated gpu.

That temp file seems pretty active, you may want to try running a disk cleanup and only check off temporary files and then check resource monitor to see if it reappears. Also you may want to stop and disable any services that your RMA'd card may have been using at least until the new card arrives. (I believe nvidia has the Nvidia display driver service can't remember which ati uses sorry!)

As for the graphics card my money would be on the 8800 gt if your on windows 7 you can try running your windows experience index without/with it and it should give you a very rough estimate of where the two should be.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Mac Pro Graphics Card Upgrade

I have a 2010 Mac Pro a with a Radeon/AMD HD5700. I had an extra GTX 650 I wanted to put in there, but when I make the swap and reboot, I get no image.

Is there a key command on boot or something else I didn't do?

kennah

Mac Pro Graphics Card Upgrade

I have a 2010 Mac Pro a with a Radeon/AMD HD5700. I had an extra GTX 650 I wanted to put in there, but when I make the swap and reboot, I get no image.

Is there a key command on boot or something else I didn't do?

What OS X version? It can be tricky to get a non-Apple-Flashed video card to work in a Mac Pro.

Chabbles

If someone can help me with this much appreciated, its been driving me crazy for months now, trying to trouble shoot it myself has gone nowhere. Anyway, Google Chrome and Youtube video thumbnails not updating. Whenever i change a thumbnail image on one of my youtube vids, 50% of the time it wont show any changes on my PC (will on other devices/pc's). Deleting chromes image cache, cookies, everything does nothing. Im never signed into chrome either.. sometimes it takes weeks for the new image to show. Any ideas ?

kingwingin

Brother just gave me a laptop and im trying to set it up so i have it connected to a monitor and i want to buy a wireless mouse and keyboard but i need to know if i can set it up to wake up from sleep with a mouse? I havent used a computer in like 5 years and not too sure where to find this setting and i want to make sure i can do this befor i buy one

oneran

Brother just gave me a laptop and im trying to set it up so i have it connected to a monitor and i want to buy a wireless mouse and keyboard but i need to know if i can set it up to wake up from sleep with a mouse? I havent used a computer in like 5 years and not too sure where to find this setting and i want to make sure i can do this befor i buy one

As long as the "allow this device to wake computer" option is checked off in the power management tab of your mouse in device manager (which it should be by default) it should wake the computer upon clicking.

*However you may or may not have problems with some wireless KB/Mice

kingwingin

As long as the "allow this device to wake computer" option is checked off in the power management tab of your mouse in device manager (which it should be by default) it should wake the computer upon clicking.

*However you may or may not have problems with some wireless KB/Mice
I found that option but it's greyed out. I have a dusty old wired mouse hooked up at the moment so

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
What OS X version? It can be tricky to get a non-Apple-Flashed video card to work in a Mac Pro.

The one before Yosimete. So what's the proper process when it comes to video card upgrades on a Mac?

oneran

The one before Yosimete. So what's the proper process when it comes to video card upgrades on a Mac?

From what I understand (and I'm no expert on the subject) you won't get the boot screen to work because of the uefi but you can get the card to work once you boot into osx if you install/modify drivers from nvidia.

Here's a FAQ on the subject (not sure on how accurate every thing is since i've never actually tried it) :
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1440150

The "proper process" is to typically buy a Mac edition of a graphics card E.G. http://www.evga.com/articles/00730/

A friend of mine (from the UK) has a Virgin Media wireless modem downstairs and a router upstairs. He uses the router when he's upstairs and connects to the Virgin Media modem when he's downstairs.

The wireless modem works perfectly. However, the router has a problem. Using any browser, sometimes the pages don't load and it keeps on loading with nothing happening, or sometimes the page only half loads. At other times, the page loads perfectly. So it's an intermittent problem. This only happens when connecting with that router. The connection itself has no problems, so that's weird (the signal is perfect, etc.)

So, any solutions for this? What information do you need to help?

oneran

A friend of mine (from the UK) has a Virgin Media wireless modem downstairs and a router upstairs. He uses the router when he's upstairs and connects to the Virgin Media modem when he's downstairs.

The wireless modem works perfectly. However, the router has a problem. Using any browser, sometimes the pages don't load and it keeps on loading with nothing happening, or sometimes the page only half loads. At other times, the page loads perfectly. So it's an intermittent problem. This only happens when connecting with that router. The connection itself has no problems, so that's weird (the signal is perfect, etc.)

So, any solutions for this? What information do you need to help?

Ensure DHCP is only enabled on one device preferably the modem

DaNcaKe

Thank you. Where do I set this in the modem? Is there a control panel and if so, how do I access it? Do I need the IP address or something?

Usually the control panel is available by typing the modem's IP into your web browser. To find the IP, you'll need to find your local gateway (check network settings) and just enter that in. Presumably user/password are default so just check online for what the default settings are for your hardware.

Do the above whilst connected to the "router" and see if you can access it that way. DHCP settings are usually under a network/LAN header once into the menus.

Duplolas

Banned
So theres this weird thing where apparently Windows 8/8.1 desktops randomly will create a homegroup icon on your desktop.

It is unmovable. You can't delete it. It is just there.

There are a few different ways you can remove it which really are not important in this case because this issue is resolved for me.

The issue I want figured out is WHY this happens. I have done a few hours of research now and legitimately no one anywhere knows why this happens. The only thing people know is that it usually appears after a computer restarts, however, with some people it happens after the computer black screens randomly while in use (which is what happened to me). I actually turned off both of my two monitors because I was listening to music and when I turned them both back on, one didn't show anything (black screen), the other worked and displayed my desktop properly.

The reason why I want to so badly figure out the origin of this bug is because I found a user post this:

Unexpected "Homegroup" icon is a hot topic. We see that "just click on leave homegroup" solution in several dot com forums. Unfortunately, for most forum visitors there is no "leave homegroup" while there is the desktop "Homegroup" icon. IMPORTANTLY, this Homegroup 'icon' is very misbehaved! Try and move it and it goes nowhere: it is locked in place, regardless of desktop settings, and it cannot be deleted.
Perhaps enlightening, Media Center 'black screens' and otherwise corrupts Windows 8 desktops and display adapter handles (and concurrently hangs dxdiag.exe on large-memory boards). Homegroup may simply be another NOT READY Microsoft feature (fortunately not hawked at $10 a crack, like the MC).
Back to topic, Intel.com forum posters mostly do not see any Leave Homegroup anywhere in the simple Homegroup Open dialog, nor in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Homegroup and all its 'offshoots [sic]'.
Further enlightenment, it is a fact that a joint Pentagon-FBI task force asserts that 1 in 3 computers has been maliciously attacked by "unfriendly alien governments". Now, only yesterday we tasked a Microsoft.com driver download page that had hoaxed over 180,000 'drivers-NOT' onto unsuspecting regional desktops. Is the same thing happening for every other Microsoft Hardware download item? Well, it could be this misbehaving Homegroup icon is an "unfriendly" feature, something one might intelligently expect in a nation that has been constantly at war for almost 70 years. This protracted colonial war effort has now conscripted Microsoft to program murder technology (sorry if the 'm' word is overly sensitizing, but universally massive doses of murder may explain 'unfriendly' in an 'expected' context). Tuit, these general matters may be slipping beyond the scope of civil forum enquiry.
Back to topic one last time for this post, THIS ISSUE IS NOT RESOLVED! It seems to be hooking into the edge of compounding systemic OS flaws. FYI, we haven't got past Microsoft Help Desk (usually a receptionist in a friendly Asian state) to any Microsoft development team for over two months. So there's some hard facts for you to chew on... but what would be really nice is a Microsoft sponsored 1-2-3 method to lose the obviously corrupt icon repeatedly installed by Microsoft Windows Update on this posting stand-alone (aka NOT groupie) machine.

Source: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ome-group-icon-has-appeared-on-my-desktop-why

Now this seems a bit far fetched of an answer for the WHY, but it is the ONLY answer to the WHY that I can find. So the reason why I am trying so hard to find the origin of an issue that I already resolved is because I don't want the ONLY answer out there for the WHY to be basically a conspiracy theory.

So if you want to help, thank you very much.

Edit:

Here is how you fix the problem: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-homegroup-icon-windows-8-desktop

But again, that isn't what concerns me.

Edit2:

It seems to be glitch that causes the Homegroup desktop icon to just appear like that. It usually happens when anything messes with the network, but it hasn't been narrowed down to anything specific that I'm aware of so far.

It is an answer, but it isn't enough of one.

Source: http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/60482-homegroup-icon-desktop.html?

oneran

So theres this weird thing where apparently Windows 8/8.1 desktops randomly will create a homegroup icon on your desktop.

It is unmovable. You can't delete it. It is just there.

There are a few different ways you can remove it which really are not important in this case because this issue is resolved for me.

The issue I want figured out is WHY this happens. I have done a few hours of research now and legitimately no one anywhere knows why this happens. The only thing people know is that it usually appears after a computer restarts, however, with some people it happens after the computer black screens randomly while in use (which is what happened to me). I actually turned off both of my two monitors because I was listening to music and when I turned them both back on, one didn't show anything (black screen), the other worked and displayed my desktop properly.

The reason why I want to so badly figure out the origin of this bug is because I found a user post this:

Source: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...ome-group-icon-has-appeared-on-my-desktop-why

Now this seems a bit far fetched of an answer for the WHY, but it is the ONLY answer to the WHY that I can find. So the reason why I am trying so hard to find the origin of an issue that I already resolved is because I don't want the ONLY answer out there for the WHY to be basically a conspiracy theory.

So if you want to help, thank you very much.

Edit:

Here is how you fix the problem: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-homegroup-icon-windows-8-desktop

But again, that isn't what concerns me.

Edit2:

It is an answer, but it isn't enough of one.

Source: http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/60482-homegroup-icon-desktop.html?

This happened to me the other day as well (after restart though), I should probably look closer into it but I wouldn't put too much stock in that technet post.

PARANO1A

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on a new PC build and Windows Update isn't working. It's constantly stuck on 'checking for updates'. Last checked and last installed are both set to 'never'. It's been over a month and it hasn't righted itself - wishful thinking I know.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any solutions? And what could have caused it?

Ensure DHCP is only enabled on one device preferably the modem

Usually the control panel is available by typing the modem's IP into your web browser. To find the IP, you'll need to find your local gateway (check network settings) and just enter that in. Presumably user/password are default so just check online for what the default settings are for your hardware.

Do the above whilst connected to the "router" and see if you can access it that way. DHCP settings are usually under a network/LAN header once into the menus.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.

Ok, here's a real easy one someone can hopefully fix. If I open a YouTube link on a website, any website, it always comes up as an error. If I go to YouTube everything plays fine.

I'm sure there must be an easy answer but I don't know what it is. Any help?

oneran

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on a new PC build and Windows Update isn't working. It's constantly stuck on 'checking for updates'. Last checked and last installed are both set to 'never'. It's been over a month and it hasn't righted itself - wishful thinking I know.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any solutions? And what could have caused it?

Try using the control panel interface instead of the metro one, also ensure the windows update service is running (Charm bar> Search & launch Services> locate windows update> right click select start).

Ok, here's a real easy one someone can hopefully fix. If I open a YouTube link on a website, any website, it always comes up as an error. If I go to YouTube everything plays fine.

I'm sure there must be an easy answer but I don't know what it is. Any help?

What browser are you using and what exact error is it giving you?

Does your browser have the Flash plugin installed and enabled? because the only thing I can think of is the embedded video player is trying to use flash and YouTube's site plays back html5 video when it see's you don't have flash.

Ramza

Banned
Here's one for ya'll. To start off, here's my build:

MOBO: Asus Z97-A
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 OC XMP (2 x 8)
CPU: Intel i7 4790k

When I install the RAM in channel B, the system boots fine. However, when I install it in channel A, it does not. The original MOBO I got had some bent pins, so I replaced it and still nothing. I've since replaced the CPU, MOBO, and RAM, and I still can't get the damn thing to boot with anything in channel A (you need it in A1+B1 or A2+B2 for dual channel mode, unless I'm mistaken). It's on the latest BIOS and I've even tried the MemOK! button, and nothing.

Any thoughts, GAF?

ayeorkean

I recently installed Windows 8.1 on a new PC build and Windows Update isn't working. It's constantly stuck on 'checking for updates. (...) Has this happened to anyone before? Any solutions? And what could have caused it?

It just stays there with the little circles moving and never updates? Believe it was fixed by refreshing windows.

Here's one for ya'll. To start off, here's my build. When I install the RAM in channel B, the system boots fine. However, when I install it in channel A, it does not. The original MOBO I got had some bent pins, so I replaced it and still nothing. I've since replaced the CPU, MOBO, and RAM, (...) Any thoughts, GAF?

No post codes on the motherboard? Was it replaced with identical RAM?

Ramza

Banned
It just stays there with the little circles moving and never updates? Believe it was fixed by refreshing windows.

No post codes on the motherboard? Was it replaced with identical RAM?

MOBO doesn't have post codes, but it does have post LEDs. It's the RAM LED that stays lit when it hangs on post. Replaced with the exact same model RAM. It's even in ASUS's "qualified vendor list" for acceptable RAM.

Try using the control panel interface instead of the metro one, also ensure the windows update service is running (Charm bar> Search & launch Services> locate windows update> right click select start).

What browser are you using and what exact error is it giving you?

Does your browser have the Flash plugin installed and enabled? because the only thing I can think of is the embedded video player is trying to use flash and YouTube's site plays back html5 video when it see's you don't have flash.
Sorry, should've said. Firefox and the error is 'An error occured. Please try again later'.
Like I said YouTube is fine but I get that error in links on any website.
Also I get the same error on IE too.

Edit: I tested on Facebook and embedded YouTube videos work fine on that. They just don't work on either IE or Firefox unless I go to YouTube. It's perplexing.

oneran

Here's one for ya'll. To start off, here's my build:

MOBO: Asus Z97-A
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 OC XMP (2 x 8)
CPU: Intel i7 4790k

When I install the RAM in channel B, the system boots fine. However, when I install it in channel A, it does not. The original MOBO I got had some bent pins, so I replaced it and still nothing. I've since replaced the CPU, MOBO, and RAM, and I still can't get the damn thing to boot with anything in channel A (you need it in A1+B1 or A2+B2 for dual channel mode, unless I'm mistaken). It's on the latest BIOS and I've even tried the MemOK! button, and nothing.

Any thoughts, GAF?

According to your manual the recommend configuration would be to have them in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (The grey ones i believe). Other than ensuring they're inserted properly and running a memory test on both sticks in single channel mode I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Ramza

Banned
According to your manual the recommend configuration would be to have them in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (The grey ones i believe). Other than ensuring they're inserted properly and running a memory test on both sticks in single channel mode I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Yeah, I've tried A1 + B1 and A2 + B2 but nothing. I mean, if the RAM works fine with them both in Channel B, it's probably another faulty MOBO. Time for another replacement =/

ayeorkean

MOBO doesn't have post codes, but it does have post LEDs. It's the RAM LED that stays lit when it hangs on post. Replaced with the exact same model RAM. It's even in ASUS's "qualified vendor list" for acceptable RAM.

I would first try out different RAM manufacturer, even though it is listed as qualified, since that would probably the most inexpensive. Have had a similar issue with Asus MOBO, kinda odd having it happen on replacement also. It would not post on a cold start, had to run memtest on the 1 stick for a while and the install the other sticks. If not it would display no ram installed post code.

Top Bottom