• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Could anyone help me with this issue?
mS6HPr0.jpg

Grexeno

I'm having an issue with all video players that aren't Flash. The video skips back and forth by a few frames constantly. Can anyone help me? I'm using Firefox.

Could anyone help me with this issue?

Trying running repair if you have the disc, boot and run repair or put the Win7 ISO from MS on a USB (this tool is good for that: https://rufus.akeo.ie/) then just boot from USB instead (you will probably need to configure BIOS to boot from USB-HDD or similar). I'm not sure why that is happening but I think repair will fix it no problem.

I'm having an issue with all video players that aren't Flash. The video skips back and forth by a few frames constantly. Can anyone help me? I'm using Firefox.

Known problem affecting many people, someone I know has the exact same issue and there was a similar thread earlier today on GAF about it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994244

Either try Firefox Developer Edition or try installing Chrome and test with Chrome.

Also GAF I have an issue of my own. For last week I have been having a BSOD, particular one of "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR STOP: 0x0000007A". I can't remember the second parameter after the 0x7A one, if it happens again I'll write it down. I'm pretty sure this is related to the page file, I'm suspecting that in memory-heavy games/applications that the page file is written to but the page file might be located somewhere on my SSD where there are bad sectors. This is what would commonly cause this. However I have no bad sectors on my SSD where this page file exists. I've tried reducing the size to see if it alleviates it though.

It's just odd, it's mostly resource-intensive operations where I suspect the page file is being written to, sometimes it happens and sometimes not. For 2 days I hadn't had a BSOD and been doing the same tasks, today I get one even though nothing has changed. I've run all available memory test tools, no problem with my memory according to them and I don't have spare to test otherwise.

What do you think? It'll either BSOD or the system locks ups (but mouse movement is fine, but program windows etc will lock up).

Big Chungus

So my video card has been RMA'd but I have to send it to the US (im in Canada).

Should I be worried about customs?

Will I get charged if they send me a replacement?

I wonder if its even worth it...

kennah

So my video card has been RMA'd but I have to send it to the US (im in Canada).

Should I be worried about customs?

Will I get charged if they send me a replacement?

I wonder if its even worth it...

you shouldn't. and if you do you can call and have it refunded. Warranty repair/replacement for a product already purchased wouldn't generate new taxes

oneran

Can anyone tell me if you can move files to a restoration partition and move them back after you restore your PC? Or can you not put things on the restoration partition?

You can assign the partition a drive letter through diskpart and store files on it like any regular drive, however I would highly recommend you just use a flash drive/portable hard drive because there's a chance you could mess something up and there is most likely fewer than 2gb free on that recovery partition.

also GAF I have an issue of my own. For last week I have been having a BSOD, particular one of "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR STOP: 0x0000007A". I can't remember the second parameter after the 0x7A one, if it happens again I'll write it down. I'm pretty sure this is related to the page file, I'm suspecting that in memory-heavy games/applications that the page file is written to but the page file might be located somewhere on my SSD where there are bad sectors. This is what would commonly cause this. However I have no bad sectors on my SSD where this page file exists. I've tried reducing the size to see if it alleviates it though.

It's just odd, it's mostly resource-intensive operations where I suspect the page file is being written to, sometimes it happens and sometimes not. For 2 days I hadn't had a BSOD and been doing the same tasks, today I get one even though nothing has changed. I've run all available memory test tools, no problem with my memory according to them and I don't have spare to test otherwise.

What do you think? It'll either BSOD or the system locks ups (but mouse movement is fine, but program windows etc will lock up).

Have you tried moving the page file to another disk at least temporarily?

Foxix Von

Hey guys! I'm having some trouble with my new TP Link wireless card. It's a TL-WDN4800 card. Just bought a used PC that needed a wireless card and after installation I'm finding my download speeds are abysmal.

Speedtest is rating my download speeds at anywhere between 2-4mpbs. Problem is on my phone, I get 17-20mbps down. If I switch to the 5ghz band on my router my download speeds drop down to 0.5 mpbs. It's crazy.

I've juggled the default drivers, the separate qualcomm .263 and .288 drivers and absolutely nothing is helping. I can barely even load youtube videos =/

oneran

Hey guys! I'm having some trouble with my new TP Link wireless card. It's a TL-WDN4800 card. Just bought a used PC that needed a wireless card and after installation I'm finding my download speeds are abysmal.

Speedtest is rating my download speeds at anywhere between 2-4mpbs. Problem is on my phone, I get 17-20mbps down. If I switch to the 5ghz band on my router my download speeds drop down to 0.5 mpbs. It's crazy.

I've juggled the default drivers, the separate qualcomm .263 and .288 drivers and absolutely nothing is helping. I can barely even load youtube videos =/

Have you tried playing around with the wireless channels on your router? Also what is the signal quality showing up as?

Edit-
Have you tried the drivers from tp-link's website?
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/support/download/?model=TL-WDN4800&version=V1#tbl_a
(Ensure this is the right device and hardware version)

Because I don't see qualcomm .263 or .288 listed anywhere.

Also if your using the utility try uninstalling it and let windows manage the connection.

Foxix Von

Have you tried playing around with the wireless channels on your router? Also what is the signal quality showing up as?

I can't see why the wireless channels would be a problem I've got a load of other wireless products in the same room further away from the router that all rate speeds 5-10x faster than what my PC is doing.

As for the signal quality rating, it's rated as being "Excellent."

oneran

I can't see why the wireless channels would be a problem I've got a load of other wireless products in the same room further away from the router that all rate speeds 5-10x faster than what my PC is doing.

As for the signal quality rating, it's rated as being "Excellent."

Sorry, you replied while I was editing my post anyway:

Also if your using the utility try uninstalling it and let windows manage the connection.

Foxix Von

Sorry, you replied while I was editing my post anyway:

Ah, thanks for your help.

Just installed that driver. Still having the same issues. It actually shows my upload speed being faster than my download speed.

ANNNND my pc just blue screened =/

oneran

Ah, thanks for your help.

Just installed that driver. Still having the same issues. It actually shows my upload speed being faster than my download speed.

ANNNND my pc just blue screened =/

You may want to confirm it installed correctly by checking device manager, and try switching between the 2.4 & 5 Ghz as you did before if you haven't already done so.

And as I said before if your using the tp-link utility try uninstalling it and let windows manage the connection.

Did you install the TL-WDN4800_Driver_V1_140506 version?

Foxix Von

You may want to confirm it installed correctly by checking device manager, and try switching between the 2.4 & 5 Ghz as you did before if you haven't already done so.

And as I said before if your using the tp-link utility try uninstalling it and let windows manage the connection.

Did you install the TL-WDN4800_Driver_V1_140506 version?

Not sure how to tell if it installed correctly in device manager, but as far as I can tell everything looks okay? I'm not using the TP link utility. I had worse connection problems with that and uninstalled it yesterday.

And yes, I used that driver.

oneran

Not sure how to tell if it installed correctly in device manager, but as far as I can tell everything looks okay? I'm not using the TP link utility. I had worse connection problems with that and uninstalled it yesterday.

And yes, I used that driver.

open device manager > locate and expand network adapters > you should see an adapter named tp link something right click it and select properties > select the driver tab and ensure the driver version/date matches

Foxix Von

open device manager > locate and expand network adapters > you should see an adapter named tp link something right click it and select properties > select the driver tab and ensure the driver version/date matches

Huh, yeah I'm not sure it matches.
It says the driver version is 9.2.0.310
and the date is listed as 2/22/2011

oneran

Huh, yeah I'm not sure it matches.
It says the driver version is 9.2.0.310
and the date is listed as 2/22/2011

Try extracting the TL-WDN4800_Driver_V1_140506.zip file, then go back to the driver tab in device manager. Click update driver > Browse my computer> click browse and locate the TL-WDN4800_Driver_V1_140506 folder you extracted and click it> select your operating system and click ok > click next and install the driver if it can find it.

Edit-
Sorry, but you've haven't responded in a while and I've got to go if tells you it can't find a driver or the best one is already installed, try right clicking your adapter in device manager and select uninstall then restart your machine hopefully it will find the correct driver upon restart. I should be back in a few hours sorry again!

Foxix Von

Try extracting the TL-WDN4800_Driver_V1_140506.zip file, then go back to the driver tab in device manager. Click update driver > Browse my computer> click browse and locate the TL-WDN4800_Driver_V1_140506 folder you extracted and click it> select your operating system and click ok > click next and install the driver if it can find it.

Edit-
Sorry, but you've haven't responded in a while and I've got to go if tells you it can't find a driver or the best one is already installed, try right clicking your adapter in device manager and select uninstall then restart your machine hopefully it will find the correct driver upon restart. I should be back in a few hours sorry again!

Ah, yeah tried that. Just says it was already up to date. Guess I was wrong =/

oneran

Ah, yeah tried that. Just says it was already up to date. Guess I was wrong =/

Yup I just looked at the inf file looks like your drivers are up to date Win 7 02/22/2011,9.2.0.310.

Did a quick google and found this http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?75084-Slow-speed-on-WDN4800

Apparently Tp-links drivers are way out of date, which is why you had the qualcomm atheros ar938x 10.0.0.288 originally installed (i assume through windows update).

I really don't recommend downloading drivers through a third party website so do so at your own risk, but honestly at this point you may want to consider returning the card and purchasing and different make/model.

Edit-
Did a bit more searching and apparently you can get to work a bit better if you play around with the the Rate and wireless mode setting in the advanced tab of the network adapter properties (the one before the driver tab in device manager)

Duplolas

Banned
I have a subject for you guys to search. This is something I already "fixed", but the fix was reinstalling my OS.

I did 7 hours of research into this and found numerous threads with people having the same issue, but no one ever got their issue fixed. I come from a strong IT background. I work at a help desk and am currently studying to becoming a SRA major.

Now, this isn't that important, as I said, I don't need it to fix my computer, but it would still be so mind easing to get a solution to this.

The problem:

I bought a new keyboard. It is a mechanical plug n play keyboard. No drivers existed online for it, you plugged it in and it worked. But it didn't.

Upon first plugging it into my computer windows decided to check if the keyboard needed any drivers. It would take about 5 minutes after it booted to the desktop for it to check and during that time it worked. However, after windows noticed there was no drivers installed for the device, it stopped working, saying that it needed drivers for the device to work.

So, I did the obvious choices, restarted the computer, switched usb ports, none of them worked. So then I went online. 7 hours of working and looking for solutions and the only answer that actually worked was that Microsoft never fixed this bug and what causes it is unknown. That the only known fix besides using a new device entirely is reinstalling the OS.

So if you are up for the challenge, find me an answer. I can provide any other information I have on the subject, but like I said, it isn't a major issue.

Duplolas

Banned
Have you tried the obvious and stopped Windows looking for drivers?

Yeah. I told windows to stop looking for drivers. Didn't work. You would think stopping windows from looking for drivers would stop it from checking to see if this keyboard would need drivers to work. But no. It didn't. That is why this bug is soooo annoying. You would think it is a simple fix, but nope, apparently it is the hardest bug to fix ever come by lol.

oneran

I have a subject for you guys to search. This is something I already "fixed", but the fix was reinstalling my OS.

I did 7 hours of research into this and found numerous threads with people having the same issue, but no one ever got their issue fixed. I come from a strong IT background. I work at a help desk and am currently studying to becoming a SRA major.

Now, this isn't that important, as I said, I don't need it to fix my computer, but it would still be so mind easing to get a solution to this.

The problem:

I bought a new keyboard. It is a mechanical plug n play keyboard. No drivers existed online for it, you plugged it in and it worked. But it didn't.

Upon first plugging it into my computer windows decided to check if the keyboard needed any drivers. It would take about 5 minutes after it booted to the desktop for it to check and during that time it worked. However, after windows noticed there was no drivers installed for the device, it stopped working, saying that it needed drivers for the device to work.

So, I did the obvious choices, restarted the computer, switched usb ports, none of them worked. So then I went online. 7 hours of working and looking for solutions and the only answer that actually worked was that Microsoft never fixed this bug and what causes it is unknown. That the only known fix besides using a new device entirely is reinstalling the OS.

So if you are up for the challenge, find me an answer. I can provide any other information I have on the subject, but like I said, it isn't a major issue.

In the update driver window did you try Browse my computer> let me pick from a list > Have disk > and then manually loading keyboard.inf

Foxix Von

Yup I just looked at the inf file looks like your drivers are up to date Win 7 02/22/2011,9.2.0.310.

Did a quick google and found this http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?75084-Slow-speed-on-WDN4800

Apparently Tp-links drivers are way out of date, which is why you had the qualcomm atheros ar938x 10.0.0.288 originally installed (i assume through windows update).

I really don't recommend downloading drivers through a third party website so do so at your own risk, but honestly at this point you may want to consider returning the card and purchasing and different make/model.

Edit-
Did a bit more searching and apparently you can get to work a bit better if you play around with the the Rate and wireless mode setting in the advanced tab of the network adapter properties (the one before the driver tab in device manager)

Just wanted to say thanks so much for trying to help. At this point I think I'll just get back in touch with newegg. Unfortunately those settings don't even show up in the advanced tab =/

I don't know if tech support GAF can help me with this, but I have a website that is utilizing IP authentication. Anyone outside the IP range won't be able to get to the site. However we have a new office and they need access. At this point I don't think the business will allow access to the VPN. How can I change the IP range? Does it have to be done through the Control Panel on the host site?

Hi, Is anyone here good with Excel?

I have a very simple calculation (edit) I need to be done to an existing excel sheet.... it will take probably less than 5 seconds for someone to do it and send it back...

Could an excel experienced GAFer please PM me, so I can send him or her the file, thanks!

You can assign the partition a drive letter through diskpart and store files on it like any regular drive, however I would highly recommend you just use a flash drive/portable hard drive because there's a chance you could mess something up and there is most likely fewer than 2gb free on that recovery partition.

Have you tried moving the page file to another disk at least temporarily?

I did, though a page file still seems to have to exist on the C drive, I just made it very small.

It still BSOD'd and then I was confused. I had a look at my CPU temp this time and for some reason it was maxing out (so hit 90c-100c) on my i7, I couldn't understand why. I opened my case and saw somehow the heatsink became lifted a bit somehow, I don't know if some hard bump to my case by someone caused that - no idea.

Once I fixed that my temps returned to normal and no problem since. I think when it was hitting that max when the CPU downclocks and when it was downclocking that was when I was getting a BSOD. Been fine since.

The KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR occured when it downclocked I think, that BSOD is mostly commonly related to when memory is read/written to the page file, I think when it was downclocking maybe some weird stuff was happening with memory, it would either BSOD or just freeze up.

Any way just replying for coherency sake if anyone stumbles upon the same problem, maybe check your temps. That seemed to be my problem. The high temp/downclocking that would occur made my PC go haywire and throw issues like that BSOD which might not be directly related to temp but some other underlaying issue that would occur when it would attempt to downclock.

oneran

Just wanted to say thanks so much for trying to help. At this point I think I'll just get back in touch with newegg. Unfortunately those settings don't even show up in the advanced tab =/

No Problem, Sorry we couldn't get it to work though!

I did, though a page file still seems to have to exist on the C drive, I just made it very small.

It still BSOD'd and then I was confused. I had a look at my CPU temp this time and for some reason it was maxing out (so hit 90c-100c) on my i7, I couldn't understand why. I opened my case and saw somehow the heatsink became lifted a bit somehow, I don't know if some hard bump to my case by someone caused that - no idea.

Once I fixed that my temps returned to normal and no problem since. I think when it was hitting that max when the CPU downclocks and when it was downclocking that was when I was getting a BSOD. Been fine since.

The KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR occured when it downclocked I think, that BSOD is mostly commonly related to when memory is read/written to the page file, I think when it was downclocking maybe some weird stuff was happening with memory, it would either BSOD or just freeze up.

Any way just replying for coherency sake if anyone stumbles upon the same problem, maybe check your temps. That seemed to be my problem. The high temp/downclocking that would occur made my PC go haywire and throw issues like that BSOD which might not be directly related to temp but some other underlaying issue that would occur when it would attempt to downclock.

Well I'm glad it got sorted, I really hate those intel pushpins!

woodland

Ahoy TechSupportGaf.

So back in November, I got this issue where when I played Dota on my laptop, the screen would tear like so. I hesitate to use tear since it usually carries a different connotation but here's an example of the tearing.

I assumed it was the video card since I couldn't think of anything else and Apple supposedly fixed it. Anyway, it worked fine for about 3-4 weeks and at the end of January it started crashing again. I checked and it would crash while my temperature was low - so I don't think it's that. At the same time, it crashed once on my desktop but apart from that, it's always been while playing Dota. I can play Darkest Dungeon fine or emulate Brawl/Project M which sends my laptop into the same heat levels Dota does. All of Dota's settings are at the lowest they can be, and I have reinstalled Dota AND reinstalled Windows.

One last thing is I'm running this on a Bootcamped Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro - I'll post the specs below. BUT this same setup worked for a year and a half freshman year (senior now) before I had to delete that partition. This is coming after a fresh install of OS X earlier this year too.

4GB RAM
i7-2635QM @ 2.00 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6490M w/ 1933MB
Windows 7 64 bit
DirectX 11

Basically, should be this model.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP582

I'm tired of this and really don't want to have to bring my desktop to school to play, so can anyone help? Thanks!

oneran

Ahoy TechSupportGaf.

So back in November, I got this issue where when I played Dota on my laptop, the screen would tear like so. I hesitate to use tear since it usually carries a different connotation but here's an example of the tearing.

I assumed it was the video card since I couldn't think of anything else and Apple supposedly fixed it. Anyway, it worked fine for about 3-4 weeks and at the end of January it started crashing again. I checked and it would crash while my temperature was low - so I don't think it's that. At the same time, it crashed once on my desktop but apart from that, it's always been while playing Dota. I can play Darkest Dungeon fine or emulate Brawl/Project M which sends my laptop into the same heat levels Dota does. All of Dota's settings are at the lowest they can be, and I have reinstalled Dota AND reinstalled Windows.

One last thing is I'm running this on a Bootcamped Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro - I'll post the specs below. BUT this same setup worked for a year and a half freshman year (senior now) before I had to delete that partition. This is coming after a fresh install of OS X earlier this year too.

4GB RAM
i7-2635QM @ 2.00 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6490M w/ 1933MB
Windows 7 64 bit
DirectX 11

Basically, should be this model.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP582

I'm tired of this and really don't want to have to bring my desktop to school to play, so can anyone help? Thanks!

Do you have the Apple Boot Camp Software Graphics Drivers installed?
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp

I am running Windows 8.1 currently, within the past week I am getting "page fault in nonpaged area" whenever I attempt to reboot or shut down the machine. I recently deactivated hibernate on my system since this is a desktop and I never used the hibernate feature. Additionally I shrank down my page file on the SSD since I know it's not really needed, plus I have 16GB ram. The computer boots up fine otherwise, no issues during everyday use.

oneran

I am running Windows 8.1 currently, within the past week I am getting "page fault in nonpaged area" whenever I attempt to reboot or shut down the machine. I recently deactivated hibernate on my system since this is a desktop and I never used the hibernate feature. Additionally I shrank down my page file on the SSD since I know it's not really needed, plus I have 16GB ram. The computer boots up fine otherwise, no issues during everyday use.

Try putting your page file back to its default managed size (at least temporarily) and see if the page fault goes away.

Try putting your page file back to its default managed size (at least temporarily) and see if the page fault goes away.

I actually can't do anything like that, if I try to change settings or do updates, when I go into reboot it crashes and doesn't save any changes.

oneran

I actually can't do anything like that, if I try to change settings or do updates, when I go into reboot it crashes and doesn't save any changes.

Are you sure your pressing the set button once you select system managed size?
Also have you tried resetting the Paging File from Safe Mode?

Are you sure your pressing the set button once you select system managed size?
Also have you tried resetting the Paging File from Safe Mode?

Sorry for not replying sooner. I got the page file set back to system managed and attempted to do a reset, still same result at reboot/shutdown.

oneran

Sorry for not replying sooner. I got the page file set back to system managed and attempted to do a reset, still same result at reboot/shutdown.

No worries, you may want to try setting it to no page file reset then putting it back to system managed. Also did you update any of your drivers recently?

oneran

I installed the latest Nvidia driver about a week/week and a half ago. Nothing else though.

You may also want to run a check disk and an system file check if you haven't already done so. Also when you deactivated hibernation I assume you just created a custom power plan right?

You may also want to run a check disk and an system file check if you haven't already done so. Also when you deactivated hibernation I assume you just created a custom power plan right?

I created a custom power plan and deleted the hibernation file. I never set this computer on hibernate so it wasn't necessary.

EDIT: I ran checkdisk and sfc.exe and both came back clean.

oneran

I created a custom power plan and deleted the hibernation file. I never set this computer on hibernate so it wasn't necessary.

Try disabling it through an administrative command prompt just to ensure it's actually disabled type:

POWERCFG /H OFF

You may want to try re-downloading and re-installing the Nvidia drivers with the clean install option checked off.

Also can you go into event viewer and copy/paste the description and details of the page fault event it should be under critical.

I did use the powercfg/h OFF command to turn off the hibernation file, sorry, I knew I was forgetting I had done that. Here's the log.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 2/21/2015 11:38:29 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: GodGinrai
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>3</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-02-21T17:38:29.110300100Z" />
<EventRecordID>105131</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>GodGinrai</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Hey guys, not sure if this is really the right thread for this but didn't want to start a new one so here goes:

I've had this old laptop for years - a Dell Inspiron 6400. Bought around 2004 and I've brought it with me every time I've moved since. Had a look at it today and I can't find the charger. It's probably not been turned on for about 7 years at this point. Is it worth me trying to buy a charger, or will the battery / other components be tapped out after such a long period of not being used? If I can't get it to turn on, will it have any trade-in value for the RAM etc or is it pretty much junk at this point?

On a separate note, my 'main computer' at the moment is a late 2012 Mac Mini. It runs slow as hell, gives me the spinning beach ball of death all the time, crashes and takes a long time to boot up. I don't know what's wrong with it. I tried doing a factory reset and reformatting the hard drive a few weeks ago but that doesn't really seem to have helped. Again, if I can't get it working well does it have any 'sum of its parts' type value or is it worthless?

Basically, I've got these two janky / non-working computers, and I somehow want to end up with one functioning computer! Any help much appreciated.

oneran

I did use the powercfg/h OFF command to turn off the hibernation file, sorry, I knew I was forgetting I had done that. Here's the log.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 2/21/2015 11:38:29 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: GodGinrai
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>3</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-02-21T17:38:29.110300100Z" />
<EventRecordID>105131</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>GodGinrai</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I believe its related to your hibernation not being there try turning hibernation back on trough power options and powercfg /h on.

(You can also try creating a hiberfil.sys dummy file in C:\ and see if the problem goes away)

Hey guys, not sure if this is really the right thread for this but didn't want to start a new one so here goes:

I've had this old laptop for years - a Dell Inspiron 6400. Bought around 2004 and I've brought it with me every time I've moved since. Had a look at it today and I can't find the charger. It's probably not been turned on for about 7 years at this point. Is it worth me trying to buy a charger, or will the battery / other components be tapped out after such a long period of not being used? If I can't get it to turn on, will it have any trade-in value for the RAM etc or is it pretty much junk at this point?

On a separate note, my 'main computer' at the moment is a late 2012 Mac Mini. It runs slow as hell, gives me the spinning beach ball of death all the time, crashes and takes a long time to boot up. I don't know what's wrong with it. I tried doing a factory reset and reformatting the hard drive a few weeks ago but that doesn't really seem to have helped. Again, if I can't get it working well does it have any 'sum of its parts' type value or is it worthless?

Basically, I've got these two janky / non-working computers, and I somehow want to end up with one functioning computer! Any help much appreciated.

Dell: As long as the battery hasn't been physically damaged it should still "work" if plugged in, but it probably won't hold its charge very long if at all. The resale value of your parts will depend on your components, but it most likely wouldn't be worth it.

(Very few people want used hard drives, used ram (DDR-DDR2) typically goes from 10-20/GB, and your going to have to find someone who needs a mainboard or screen for that exact model which given the age isn't that likely. Once you get done with selling fees and the possibility of returns it's not worth it IMO.)

Mac: I'm not exactly a mac expert, but it sounds as if your hard drive (I'm assuming mechanical) may be its last legs you should ensure any important data is backed up and check the S.M.A.R.T status of the drive. I would consult with an apple store associate to get an estimate on repair and find out what exactly is wrong before looking into selling.

I attempted to make a dummy file for hiberfil.sys, turned hibernation back on, and when I attempted to use powercfg.exe, I got the message "hibernation failed with the following error: The request is not supported." then it stated that it could not create the hibernation file.

Dell: As long as the battery hasn't been physically damaged it should still "work" if plugged in, but it probably won't hold its charge very long if at all. The resale value of your parts will depend on your components, but it most likely wouldn't be worth it.

(Very few people want used hard drives, used ram (DDR-DDR2) typically goes from 10-20/GB, and your going to have to find someone who needs a mainboard or screen for that exact model which given the age isn't that likely. Once you get done with selling fees and the possibility of returns it's not worth it IMO.)

Mac: I'm not exactly a mac expert, but it sounds as if your hard drive (I'm assuming mechanical) may be its last legs you should ensure any important data is backed up and check the S.M.A.R.T status of the drive. I would consult with an apple store associate to get an estimate on repair and find out what exactly is wrong before looking into selling.

Thanks for the reply. So from the sounds of it, I may as well try and get the laptop working rather than sell. It's not worth my time for twenty quid, so if I can't get it to boot I'll probably just stick it on gumtree as a freebie.

I've got more hope for the Mac, at least the specs are more to date for that one. I already backed up my important info when I reformatted so there's nothing really on there right now. Guess I'll go chat to an apple store bod some time this week.

oneran

I attempted to make a dummy file for hiberfil.sys, turned hibernation back on, and when I attempted to use powercfg.exe, I got the message "hibernation failed with the following error: The request is not supported." then it stated that it could not create the hibernation file.

Are you sure your running as an admin, have enough free space on the drive and reset the power options through control panel?

Exalted

Recently did a fresh install of W8 and now my PC freezez whenever it goes into sleep . (after 2 hours of inactivity) I used to have a similar problem with a laptop a few years back, but managed to fix it with changing power setings and disabling fast startup.
I alredy tried everything in the power settings and i can't seem to fix it that way. Also i only experience this with W8 and not with W7 on my desktop.

Anyone experienced a similar problem?

Top Bottom