• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Ramza

Banned
I would first try out different RAM manufacturer, even though it is listed as qualified, since that would probably the most inexpensive. Have had a similar issue with Asus MOBO, kinda odd having it happen on replacement also.

Yeah, I might try that. Any suggestions maybe? Patriot, Kingston, etc?

Trying running repair if you have the disc, boot and run repair or put the Win7 ISO from MS on a USB (this tool is good for that: https://rufus.akeo.ie/) then just boot from USB instead (you will probably need to configure BIOS to boot from USB-HDD or similar). I'm not sure why that is happening but I think repair will fix it no problem.
I'm on a laptop. Tried starting again on Safe Mode and my laptop froze on the "Loading Windows Files" screen

Any ideas of what I could do?

ayeorkean

Yeah, I might try that. Any suggestions maybe? Patriot, Kingston, etc?

Those should work just fine, Kingston seems to have good prices. Above I also noted ASUS mobo would not cold start, so running memtest on the 1 stick for >30~ minutes I was able to then install the remaining ram with no problems. If this is the case, possibly faulty mobo, if not, maybe ram.

oneran

Sorry, should've said. Firefox and the error is 'An error occured. Please try again later'.
Like I said YouTube is fine but I get that error in links on any website.
Also I get the same error on IE too.

Edit: I tested on Facebook and embedded YouTube videos work fine on that. They just don't work on either IE or Firefox unless I go to YouTube. It's perplexing.

Googled around apparently if you don't have a audio playback device plugged in on your system it can cause issues and changing your DNS settings to google's public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) may help as well.

But are you sure the videos you are trying to watch just don't have embedding disabled, next time it happens click the share button and the embed tab on the youtube page too see if it says disabled.

nowarning

I'm on a laptop. Tried starting again on Safe Mode and my laptop froze on the "Loading Windows Files" screen

Any ideas of what I could do?

You probably need to run the startup repair if you can't get into Safe Mode but that in itself is not too clever.

At home or at work, if I get machines with errors like that I just format them rather than wasting time trying to fix it and usually not getting very far. In my experience it's rarely a bad drive, but I don't know your machine etc, it is definitely worth checking the drive if you can.

Personally I would use this/MiniXP(I think it's part of Hiren's boot cd)/Plug HDD into a caddy to retrieve my important data, then reset the machine to factory defaults.

You probably need to run the startup repair if you can't get into Safe Mode but that in itself is not too clever.

At home or at work, if I get machines with errors like that I just format them rather than wasting time trying to fix it and usually not getting very far. In my experience it's rarely a bad drive, but I don't know your machine etc, it is definitely worth checking the drive if you can.

Personally I would use this/MiniXP(I think it's part of Hiren's boot cd)/Plug HDD into a caddy to retrieve my important data, then reset the machine to factory defaults.
I have like zero knowledge about computers outside of setting up my Dualshock to work and those kinds of things, so I have no idea how to do any of that

Googled around apparently if you don't have a audio playback device plugged in on your system it can cause issues and changing your DNS settings to google's public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) may help as well.

But are you sure the videos you are trying to watch just don't have embedding disabled, next time it happens click the share button and the embed tab on the youtube page too see if it says disabled.
Okay, this is odd. I go to 'watch on youtube' from the embedded link and I get a 404 error and the address is www.youtube-nocookie.com. No idea what that is. It's not browser based as it happens on two seperate ones. Could my router be infected with a redirect virus? I have Kaspersky Internet Security but it's found nothing. Weird.
As for the audio I'm plugged in via HDMI to an amp but I don't have a soundcard. Don't think that's the issue though.

oneran

I have like zero knowledge about computers outside of setting up my Dualshock to work and those kinds of things, so I have no idea how to do any of that

If you know someone with an windows install disc of the same windows version you can try borrowing it and try running the startup repair from System Recovery options.

Not sure if this will work or not but you can try this if you can't find one (Sorry if it's a bit complex)

Press < F9 > during bootup.
Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]
Once Loaded Press Shift+F10 and see if you can bring up a command prompt if you can follow my next instructions, if you can't cancel out of the setup and/or restart.
(Warning! if you proceed through the setup dialog it will delete every thing and restore it to factory defaults, including your personal files)

If you can open a command prompt
Type: C:
Press enter
Type: Dir
Press enter
It should display a Directory of the drive and on the right most column a list of files, if you see Windows listed this is your system drive and continue on. If not do this part over again replacing C: with D: then E: until you find Windows.

Once you found your system drive
Type: CHKDSK /f
It should run a check disk, wait until its done if it says it found problems run it again.

Then Type:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
(If your system drive isn't c:\ replace c with whatever drive letter contains your system drive)
This should run a system file check, wait until its done if it says it found problems run it again.

Restart and see if you can boot into windows (Again, do not proceed through the setup dialog cancel out and/or restart)

Okay, this is odd. I go to 'watch on youtube' from the embedded link and I get a 404 error and the address is www.youtube-nocookie.com. No idea what that is. It's not browser based as it happens on two seperate ones. Could my router be infected with a redirect virus? I have Kaspersky Internet Security but it's found nothing. Weird.
As for the audio I'm plugged in via HDMI to an amp but I don't have a soundcard. Don't think that's the issue though.

I believe it's a legit site for people with cookies disabled, you may want to check your flash settings:

Global Storage Settings panel & Website Storage Settings panel Make sure both sliders are set to at least 10kb and click delete all sites on the Website Storage Settings.

My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465. Starting Tuesday, I encountered a driver error, and since then, my computer would get a BSOD while booting up after getting past the Windows loading. The BSOD concerned a driver called nvlddmkm.sys. Thanks to McNum and Firehead, I was able to get into Safe Mode with Networking and get a program that uninstalled my graphics drivers. Now I'm in normal Windows while stuck at 800x600 resolution, and I'm not going to try playing any games. I tried reinstalling the latest drivers, which recreated the same problem. I tried installing old drivers, first with 332.31, which caused my display to turn off. I tried installing 341.44, which also lead to the BSOD (after having a black screen for like 5 minutes). Where do I go from here? Googling also suggests it the video card might physically be overheated. How can I tell?

I believe it's a legit site for people with cookies disabled, you may want to check your flash settings:

Global Storage Settings panel & Website Storage Settings panel Make sure both sliders are set to at least 10kb and click delete all sites on the Website Storage Settings.
Okay, Global Storage Setting is fine. But Website Storage Settings never stay above 0 it seems. Also how does this youtube-nocookies work? So, I still have the problem. And if this is the cause it effects IE and Firefox?
Thanks for the help by-the-way.

Edit: I go to the add-ons on Firefox and it says Adobe Flashplayer 1.3.1.2 vulnerable update now. I go to the Adobe site and get the latest flashplayer and install it. Firefox add-ons says the same thing!
Ignore that. My actual Flashplayer is 16.0.0.305.

oneran

Okay, Global Storage Setting is fine. But Website Storage Settings never stay above 0 it seems. Also how does this youtube-nocookies work? So, I still have the problem. And if this is the cause it effects IE and Firefox?
Thanks for the help by-the-way.

I believe if author of the video enables privacy-enhanced mode on the video it goes through youtube-nocookie.com.

My fault on the Website Storage Settings its for specific websites so just ensure if you see s.ytimg.com (youtube) under visited websites ensure it has 10kb. The flash Global Storage Settings should effect both the activex and NPAPI (IE and Firefox) versions of flash, but I guess it doesn't matter since your settings don't seem to be causing the problem.

Do you have realplayer or any youtube downloader add-ons installed?

Edit: You should update your NPAPI player vist https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ from firefox. (Uncheck McAfee Security Scan Plus)

My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465. Starting Tuesday, I encountered a driver error, and since then, my computer would get a BSOD while booting up after getting past the Windows loading. The BSOD concerned a driver called nvlddmkm.sys. Thanks to McNum and Firehead, I was able to get into Safe Mode with Networking and get a program that uninstalled my graphics drivers. Now I'm in normal Windows while stuck at 800x600 resolution, and I'm not going to try playing any games. I tried reinstalling the latest drivers, which recreated the same problem. I tried installing old drivers, first with 332.31, which caused my display to turn off. I tried installing 341.44, which also lead to the BSOD (after having a black screen for like 5 minutes). Where do I go from here? Googling also suggests it the video card might physically be overheated. How can I tell?

You can download a program like EVGA PrecisionX or msi afterburner (there are many others) if you want to monitor your temps, but your probably going to need to have the nvidia drivers installed in order to do so.

With the nvidia drivers have you tried choosing custom installation and checking the clean installation option? (Use 341.44)

Kaiken

Banned
Hey TechGaf!

Regarding Adobe Professional 9. I'm looking for a batch process script that will allow me to delete pages 4 to the end of multiple pdf files. There for any pdf files that have more than three pages will only have the first three pages.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone. Got a weird one here.

My work computer is running Windows 8.1 and Outlook 2013. At least once a day, sometimes several times a day, my Outlook stops automatically sending and receiving. If I open up my email in Chrome through gmail, I see new emails in my inbox, but my Outlook inbox doesn't update. I click on Send/Receive and it just hangs there.

Sometimes exiting Outlook and restarting it fixes it. Restarting the computer will always fix it and result in my Outlook being able to send / receive...until it starts happening the next time.

A big part of my job is responding to emails in a very timely fashion and I need Outlook to be functioning to do my job well. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

oneran

Tried, failed.

Have you tried replacing nvlddmkm.sys?

Excect with step 5 grab nvlddmkm.sy_ from C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.44\WinVista_Win7_64\English\Display.Driver

Alternatively you could just revert back to your standard vga driver and delete/rename nvlddmkm.sys from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers then try doing a clean installation.

Also have you tried running a chkdsk or a sfc to ensure any system files are not corrupt?

Hey everyone. Got a weird one here.

My work computer is running Windows 8.1 and Outlook 2013. At least once a day, sometimes several times a day, my Outlook stops automatically sending and receiving. If I open up my email in Chrome through gmail, I see new emails in my inbox, but my Outlook inbox doesn't update. I click on Send/Receive and it just hangs there.

Sometimes exiting Outlook and restarting it fixes it. Restarting the computer will always fix it and result in my Outlook being able to send / receive...until it starts happening the next time.

A big part of my job is responding to emails in a very timely fashion and I need Outlook to be functioning to do my job well. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Have you tried creating a new Send/Receive Groups and adding your account to that new group? Also do you have any add-ins/security software that could be interfering?

Duplolas

Banned
This happened to me the other day as well (after restart though), I should probably look closer into it but I wouldn't put too much stock in that technet post.

I don't.

Its really just that I would like to find the source of this issue since it happens often.

I recently updated to the Windows 10 preview build and there are 2 things that really grate on me, everything else is fine. I wouldn't normally ask as it's preview but maybe some suggestions can still sort it.

The first thing (which didn't happen until about 2 weeks of windows 10age) is Chrome. When I click to start it, two windows (not a windows with 2 tabs) open. What's weird is that one of them doesn't work properly. Everything works except I cannot type anything, anywhere. Address bar, forum posts, no typing works. The other window is perfect. The broken window sometimes (but rarely) says "Chrome did not shut down properly". Also, instead of opening links (say, links I click on I'm a Skype conversation) instead of opening in a new tab, it'll double window open Chrome, even if there is a window open.

The other thing is to do with my headset. I have a simple USB mono mic headset thing which is fantastic, and has in-line volume + - and mute buttons. On W10, only the mute button works properly, the other buttons control the PCs sound control rather then the headsets.

Any ideas? Thanks

So I found out someone got a hold of my credit card info. It could have been a skimmer or something else physically related to the card but to cover my bases what's a good rootkit scanner for my desktop?

Duplolas

Banned
So I found out someone got a hold of my credit card info. It could have been a skimmer or something else physically related to the card but to cover my bases what's a good rootkit scanner for my desktop?

Malwarebytes has a rootkit scanner built into the base application now.

When you do a scan you have to change the scan options to include rootkits. Its not automatically enabled as it takes much longer to scan when also scanning for rootkits.

Have you tried creating a new Send/Receive Groups and adding your account to that new group? Also do you have any add-ins/security software that could be interfering?

Thanks for the ideas. I uninstalled all of my security software when this started happening, hoping that would fix it and I could re-install with exceptions, but that didn't work.

I just created a new Send/Receive group with some different settings. I'll see if that works and let you know.

Thanks for your time!

Have you tried replacing nvlddmkm.sys?

Excect with step 5 grab nvlddmkm.sy_ from C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\341.44\WinVista_Win7_64\English\Display.Driver

Alternatively you could just revert back to your standard vga driver and delete/rename nvlddmkm.sys from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers then try doing a clean installation.

Also have you tried running a chkdsk or a sfc to ensure any system files are not corrupt?

Tried doing the file replace, and it didn't work. However, I've noticed more things when people report this problem, and I've been paying attention to my error report too. The error code is 0x116. I've also noticing that sometimes there will be artifacts on the BSOD. In fact, I didn't realize it at the time, but my screen was artifacting when this whole thing started. So I'm getting the impression that this is a hardware problem, based on others conclusions.

Tried doing the file replace, and it didn't work. However, I've noticed more things when people report this problem, and I've been paying attention to my error report too. The error code is 0x116. I've also noticing that sometimes there will be artifacts on the BSOD. In fact, I didn't realize it at the time, but my screen was artifacting when this whole thing started. So I'm getting the impression that this is a hardware problem, based on others conclusions.

It's likely a hardware issue with either your GPU or your PSU. Can you try the card in a different PC?

No, not really. One of my fans has been making odd noises too over the past few months, guess this one is it.

Get a can of compressed air. Pull the card out and blast the dust out. Just keep the fan/blower from spinning with your thumb while you blast it. You should probably blow out your other fans while you're in there. Try to find the noisy fan and if blowing the dust out doesn't fix it, you may need to replace the fan.

I work on students laptops as part of my job at a college, and I'm trying to install Office 365 Education, a free 365 version for students ( https://products.office.com/en-US/s...lationId=458a834f-0a9f-4bdc-947a-588d41fcef1d ), on one laptop that I had to "reset" in the Windows 8 startup options because it wasn't installing Windows updates, and I keep getting the error mentioned on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696484

I tried everything on that page, and I used a FixIt tool on another Microsoft support page to make sure any other Office installations are completely gone. I also tried the installer on a clean boot, and ran dism and sfc scans in the command prompt for hard drive errors, but I keep getting the "couldn't install" error. What else can I try? I'll provide more information if needed.

Edit: My co-worker was able to fix this. Turns out I was using the 32 bit installer on a 64 bit laptop. He found the 64 bit installer and it worked fine then.

oneran

I work on students laptops as part of my job at a college, and I'm trying to install Office 365 Education, a free 365 version for students ( https://products.office.com/en-US/s...lationId=458a834f-0a9f-4bdc-947a-588d41fcef1d ), on one laptop that I had to "reset" in the Windows 8 startup options because it wasn't installing Windows updates, and I keep getting the error mentioned on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696484

I tried everything on that page, and I used a FixIt tool on another Microsoft support page to make sure any other Office installations are completely gone. I also tried the installer on a clean boot, and ran dism and sfc scans in the command prompt for hard drive errors, but I keep getting the "couldn't install" error. What else can I try? I'll provide more information if needed.

Are you using the standard installer or the deployment tool to install?

(Sorry to ask but..) Have you tried manually running the installer as an admin? Also check the compatibility tab on the properties of the install file and make sure nothing's checked off.

Hi,

I currently have Windows 7 32bit. I would like to upgrade to Windows 8 64 bit. Would this upgrade process delete my personal files? I don't mind having to reinstall things, I just want my files intact.

Pretty sure you can't do in-place upgrade from 32 to 64, you would have to manually backup(which you really should do anyways) and transfer your files. Windows easy transfer should also work, just ensure you make a manual backup as well.

Hi, I think Cakewalk is about to give up on me so I'll just post this here:

I purchased Rapture VST software from Cakewalk summer of last year, but the program never accepted my registration code. After multiple uninstalls, attempts at "clean" reinstalls (going into the registry editor and deleting all of the cakewalk stuff), removing all other cakewalk software as well, etc etc ... I always get the same message. That my code is "invalid."

Although NeoGAF may not be able to resolve a problem like this, I'm really just not sure what to think. If it's not caused by a conflict with other software, then what could it likely be? Something wrong with the code given to me? Something wrong with the software itself? Something crazy like the fact that I'm not opening it within Cakewalk software? Could it be that it's not truly a "clean" uninstall because Cakewalk can't tell me how to wipe everything so that it doesn't know it's been more than 30 days since June of last year (trial period has expired)?

*I am running it as an admin to input the code.

oneran

Hi, I think Cakewalk is about to give up on me so I'll just post this here:

I purchased Rapture VST software from Cakewalk summer of last year, but the program never accepted my registration code. After multiple uninstalls, attempts at "clean" reinstalls (going into the registry editor and deleting all of the cakewalk stuff), removing all other cakewalk software as well, etc etc ... I always get the same message. That my code is "invalid."

Although NeoGAF may not be able to resolve a problem like this, I'm really just not sure what to think. If it's not caused by a conflict with other software, then what could it likely be? Something wrong with the code given to me? Something wrong with the software itself? Something crazy like the fact that I'm not opening it within Cakewalk software? Could it be that it's not truly a "clean" uninstall because Cakewalk can't tell me how to wipe everything so that it doesn't know it's been more than 30 days since June of last year (trial period has expired)?

*I am running it as an admin to input the code.

If the installer is telling your code is invalid there is most likely something wrong with the the product code given to you. Are you using copy/paste to insert the code or typing it in manually? (If there is no option for paste try ctrl-v to paste your product code in just to eliminate any errors like replacing 0's with zero's or vice versa)

The only other thing I can think of/recommend is creating specific firewall rules allowing the installer through, to ensure it can check the code if it needs a network connection to activate.

Anustart

About two days ago I became unable to visit many pages, google, yahoo and others. Browser reports the connection is untrusted in firefox, connection not private in chrome. ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_NOT_VALID gets reported by chrome.

Doesn't seem to be the computer, but rather the router? If I connect to wifi with my phone, the same error happens.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
long shot: has anyone here experience in installing LAN wall sockets in your apartment?

I'm not quite sure how to go about it, I basically just want a wall socket in my bedroom, and a cable to the router in my living room.

Should I install an additional wall socket next to the router, and stretch a cable between that one and the socket in my bedroom? I probably don't want the end of the new bedroom wall socket to be a lose cable end (connected directly in the router)?

oneran

About two days ago I became unable to visit many pages, google, yahoo and others. Browser reports the connection is untrusted in firefox, connection not private in chrome. ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_NOT_VALID gets reported by chrome.

Doesn't seem to be the computer, but rather the router? If I connect to wifi with my phone, the same error happens.

Are you sure your devices have the correct time/date?

Also confirm the DNS settings in your gateway/router match the ones your isp provides, if they match and you are still having issues the try using google's public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Anustart

Are you sure your devices have the correct time/date?

Also confirm the DNS settings in your gateway/router match the ones your isp provides, if they match and you are still having issues the try using google's public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Turned out to be some walled garden problem for going over 350gb a month. Had to have isp fix it.

Pc just won't turn on with my hard drive connected. I've tried using the same connectors on my dvd drive and it works fine. Is the hard drive broken?

oneran

long shot: has anyone here experience in installing LAN wall sockets in your apartment?

I'm not quite sure how to go about it, I basically just want a wall socket in my bedroom, and a cable to the router in my living room.

Should I install an additional wall socket next to the router, and stretch a cable between that one and the socket in my bedroom? I probably don't want the end of the new bedroom wall socket to be a lose cable end (connected directly in the router)?

If your walls are finished chances are your better off installing surface mounts running and running the cat cable along the base boards and drill a hole where/if you need too. (You may want to check if this is okay if you rent or whatever)

Installing the cables can be tricky if you've never done it before, try to make sure the Keystone is color coded and know which standard (T568A & T568B) your using (most likely B). You may also want to invest/borrow a cheap crimper/network tester to trouble shoot.

Also I'm assuming you've already look into Powerline Adapters?

Pc just won't turn on with my hard drive connected. I've tried using the same connectors on my dvd drive and it works fine. Is the hard drive broken?

Is your Pc not turning ON or is is hanging at bios with the hard drive installed?

If your walls are finished chances are your better off installing surface mounts running and running the cat cable along the base boards and drill a hole where/if you need too. (You may want to check if this is okay if you rent or whatever)

Installing the cables can be tricky if you've never done it before, try to make sure the Keystone is color coded and know which standard (T568A & T568B) your using (most likely B). You may also want to invest/borrow a cheap crimper/network tester to trouble shoot.

Also I'm assuming you've already look into Powerline Adapters?

Is your Pc not turning ON or is is hanging at bios with the hard drive installed?

It just literally won't turn on

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I have an USB port on the front of my PC that has stopped working a while ago. Basically what happened is that I plugged a crappy USB memory stick in it someone gave me because they needed a file I had, and as I dropped the file in the USB folder my PC locked up/slowed to a crawl. I had to hard reboot and I unplugged the USB without unmounting.

Now, my PC has been through at least one reformat (may be two), and it was also an upgrade from W7 to W8.1, so I would exclude a software problem. I should point out that the other USB port on the front of the PC (and all the ones in the back for what it's worth) work fine.
Also, if I plug something in it, Windows sees it and tries to install drivers, but it goes on forever/doesn't work/it says that the unit has something wrong and I should fix it.

It's not much of a problem, but I'd like to fix it even if it has been years since it happened. :lol

oneran

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Yeah I just built it

Edit: My recommended power supply is 450w and I've got 650w

Check the bottom of the hard drive and ensure the sata power pins are uniform and straight (look on-line if you need a point of reference) because the only thing I can think of is a short that would prevent the PC from powering up.

Have you tried a different sata power cable from your power supply? Also try booting up without the sata cable hooked into the motherboard but the power cable still attached.

I have an USB port on the front of my PC that has stopped working a while ago. Basically what happened is that I plugged a crappy USB memory stick in it someone gave me because they needed a file I had, and as I dropped the file in the USB folder my PC locked up/slowed to a crawl. I had to hard reboot and I unplugged the USB without unmounting.

Now, my PC has been through at least one reformat (may be two), and it was also an upgrade from W7 to W8.1, so I would exclude a software problem. I should point out that the other USB port on the front of the PC (and all the ones in the back for what it's worth) work fine.
Also, if I plug something in it, Windows sees it and tries to install drivers, but it goes on forever/doesn't work/it says that the unit has something wrong and I should fix it.

It's not much of a problem, but I'd like to fix it even if it has been years since it happened. :lol

If your front panel connectors are plugged into the same usb header on your motherboard chances are the port itself is damaged/faulty. (Most likely the data pins seeing as your still getting power)

@ The power pins look okay. Yeah I've tried a few different cables and I just tried booting it up with the power cable and no sata cable and still doesn't work. It turns on with a sata cable attached and no power cable , is that worth anything?

oneran

@ The power pins look okay. Yeah I've tried a few different cables and I just tried booting it up with the power cable and no sata cable and still doesn't work. It turns on with a sata cable attached and no power cable , is that worth anything?

If you have another pc you can try the hard drive in it just too see if it gives you the same issue, but other than that I think your better of returning/exchanging the drive if possible.

Top Bottom