• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
GAF please help me out.

I have a Galaxy hall of fame GTX 780. It was working fine till today morning. Suddenly with a screeching sound (like crrrrrrrrrrrrrr), my PC hanged. I restarted it and then no display would come. The graphics card's fans are on full all the time now (earlier they would be slow and ratchet up only when heavy gaming was going on) but no display gets shown. When I used the internal graphics of my Mobo the PC started working fine.

It seems either the power supply is not able to supply enough power to the graphics card, or that the graphics card has died. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Vlodril

ok i am having a very weird issue and from what i looked online its usually on laptops or for words only its happening on all my programs. the left ctrl z,x,c,v shortcuts wont work. other ctrl shortcuts will work both with the left and with the right ctrl (so the key is not busted).

Right ctrl z,x,c,v works fine. left ctrl &ins and shift ins work also for copy and pasting.

I cannot see any way to actually find and change the shortcuts globally in windows (except perhaps in the registry but why?).

So any help or ideas are appreciated since its quite annoying and make everything i do much slower in regards to these functions.

edited to add that i used another keyboard and it works fine so its not a software issue apparently (which makes no sense).

Also noticed that when i re connected the faulty keyb it wouldnt start to type until i press ctrl.

I'm having an issue with streaming videos on Firefox.

I wasn't have issues just a few weeks ago, but my Chrome crashed and would never boot up so I uninstalled that and have since switched to Firefox as my primary browser. Since then, it seems like half of the videos I try to watch never work. I just get black screens. Most recent example is a Call of Duty viral marketing site. I click on that and only get a black screen.

Certain websites work, while others do not.

Any ideas?

sonicmj1

Me again. My new USB Wifi adapter has largely been working since the virus scans (though I still get blue screens on rare occasions), but the slowness has started to become an issue again. I think I've got it pegged more closely than I did before.

Generally what seems to cause it (or at least is a symptom of it) is that one of my svchost.exe processes starts eating up RAM like crazy until my computer is almost choked. To illustrate:
ibvO2iYCexyz5d.png

I saw a tip somewhere to try to follow what services that particular process is associated with, so I took a list. It's pretty much the same set of processes each time. Those processes are:
Code:
windows update
windows management
themes
shell hardware detection
system event notification service
task scheduler
user profile service
multimedia class scheduler
ip helper
extensible authentication protocol
background intelligent transfer service

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I feel like I should just reformat but I'm lazy.

lustrate

I'm at work and having an issue with a laptop that won't boot into Windows. At first, it'd boot past the HP screen into a completely blank black screen and stay there. Now, it went to another screen after I left it sitting for about ten minutes. I'll include a picture.

Googling the number after "TRAP" returns no useful information. I'm in IT, but I've never encountered an exception screen. I'm assuming it's either a hard drive or memory failure, but I'll wait for a more experienced opinion.

UxX7yyp.jpg

Exactly same problem on a notebook HP G-62. Intel Graphics and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470.
I already did everything you mention, before reading your post and i'm in the same place.
Only difference is after using Display Driver Uninstaller and installing old drivers I got some artifacts after 5 minutes of use, or bsod blaming atikmpag.sys if i plug an external monitor.
I'm going to format as soon as i have some free time.

So, after trying absolutely everything I could think of, I happened to install AMD 13.12 drivers and the system booted up just fine. Anything above that refuses to boot though. I'm so confused...

After my previous post about router troubles I bought a new one, a TL-WDR3600. I want to (perhaps erroneously) install DD-WRT on it. I went down the rabbit hole of their wiki, and now I'm even more confused about how to install the damn thing and which version.

Yet another update: I decided to be brave and try to update to the newest AMD Drivers (14.12), since the computer was working. The installation went off without a hitch, but now my secondary monitor no longer works.

Doesn't matter if I switch DVI ports, or whatever. Once Windows boots, the secondary monitor immediately goes into Sleep mode. Windows no longer recognizes it as being connected either. If I switch the DVI ports, then the secondary monitor will show that the signal is out of range (different size monitors), so I know it's not the DVI port that's messed up.

Sigh, I'm beginning to hate AMD drivers.

oneran

GAF please help me out.

I have a Galaxy hall of fame GTX 780. It was working fine till today morning. Suddenly with a screeching sound (like crrrrrrrrrrrrrr), my PC hanged. I restarted it and then no display would come. The graphics card's fans are on full all the time now (earlier they would be slow and ratchet up only when heavy gaming was going on) but no display gets shown. When I used the internal graphics of my Mobo the PC started working fine.

It seems either the power supply is not able to supply enough power to the graphics card, or that the graphics card has died. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

The large screeching/grinding sound was probably the fan on the gpu, it is most likely fried. You can try it in another pc just to be sure, but the 780 is a fairly recent card if it's still under warranty I'd just RMA it.

You can try re-seating the card into the pci-e slot and/or the power connectors on the card itself to see if anything happens/improves. Hope that helps!

I'm having an issue with streaming videos on Firefox.

I wasn't have issues just a few weeks ago, but my Chrome crashed and would never boot up so I uninstalled that and have since switched to Firefox as my primary browser. Since then, it seems like half of the videos I try to watch never work. I just get black screens. Most recent example is a Call of Duty viral marketing site. I click on that and only get a black screen.

Certain websites work, while others do not.

Any ideas?

Have you tried updating your NPAPI flash player? It should be Version 17.0.0.169 you can check under Firefox's menu bar > tools > add-ons it should be labeled as shockwave flash

Even if it is up-to-date you may want to try re-installing, go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ from Firefox it should auto detect your browser download and install it (un-tick the mcafee checkbox).

I'm at work and having an issue with a laptop that won't boot into Windows. At first, it'd boot past the HP screen into a completely blank black screen and stay there. Now, it went to another screen after I left it sitting for about ten minutes. I'll include a picture.

Googling the number after "TRAP" returns no useful information. I'm in IT, but I've never encountered an exception screen. I'm assuming it's either a hard drive or memory failure, but I'll wait for a more experienced opinion.

Your probably best off just (carefully) removing the hard drive completely, if you get the same error its most likely not getting past the post. I'd say the Bios is corrupted or the main board is damaged in someway, but you should swap out the memory just to be sure.

If it's telling you to insert system disk after removing the drive. the drive is most likely faulty or you need to re-image it.

Can anyone help me out here there is this thing called SVCHOST.EXE something like that and i noticed it uses way too much RAM what is this, I'm thinking some virus...

Can anyone help me out here there is this thing called SVCHOST.EXE something like that and i noticed it uses way too much RAM what is this, I'm thinking some virus...

Svchost is a Windows process, and it can be any number of programs that cause it to behave unexpectedly. I think you can find out which service is causing it by right clicking it in task manager and choose go to service or something along those lines.

Svchost is a Windows process, and it can be any number of programs that cause it to behave unexpectedly. I think you can find out which service is causing it by right clicking it in task manager and choose go to service or something along those lines.

Man its slowing my PC like crazy will try and check out what program is causing it

Compsiox

Banned
I was trying to create a negative airflow.

All the top fans (3) are inputting air as well as the front fan. The one fan in the back is the exhaust.

Is this horrible?

Well I don't want more air going in than out anymore. I think the current setup is causing my GPU to overheat.

It looks like the left but without the tiny streams:
Positive-vs-Negative.jpg
Ah I thought you were trying to make it that way, not that your current one is that way.
Well normally a positive airflow will keep more dust out. So if it indeed overheating, it might be the GPU itself is getting too hot for its heatsink to handle. I am not sure if a change in air flow is gonna help that. But it wouldn't hurt to try.

MUnited83

For you.
My mouse has been randomly double clicking lately.(it will do a double click like every once for each ten tries). I believe this is software related as it also happens with this laptop's native touchpad.

What can I do to fix this?

Compsiox

Banned
Ah I thought you were trying to make it that way, not that your current one is that way.
Well normally a positive airflow will keep more dust out. So if it indeed overheating, it might be the GPU itself is getting too hot for its heatsink to handle. I am not sure if a change in air flow is gonna help that. But it wouldn't hurt to try.

I did change it. I hope it doesn't get too dusty. Thanks for your time.

My mouse has been randomly double clicking lately.(it will do a double click like every once for each ten tries). I believe this is software related as it also happens with this laptop's native touchpad.

What can I do to fix this?

What kind of mouse is it? I know my Logitech G500 has been doing the same thing for a while and it's a known issue.

From looking for a replacement though, apparently a lot of mice have this problem. A lot of places are using cheaper components for the "clicker" that wear out over time. There are some guides on how to fix them, but I don't know that I'm up for something like that. You might be though!

It's been ages since I've used Winamp, but I think there is an option to turn off media key volume control in the options somewhere.

Couldn't find it myself but I searched "turn off media key volume control" from your post and found a fix straight away.

Thanks a bunch, and what a stupid option to have on by default.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
edit: nevermind. reset setting and clear all data did the trick

KevinRo

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/329903

Having a problem with Sacred 3 where, for some unknown reason, it refuses to actually USE my EVGA geForce 770 (2gb) for anything and the framerate goes down into the single digits.

Other games run fine at high settings including Killing Floor 2, Mortal Kombat X, Alien Isolation, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, etc.

CPU is an i5-3570k.
16gb of system RAM.
Win 8.1 on a SSD (250gb)
Steam installed on SSD, Steam library on secondary 3TB HDD

I've tried older drivers, newest drivers, clean install of drivers, changing BIOS memory settings, contacting Deep Silver's tech support and posting in the Steam thread... nobody seems able figure out the problem.

I've only seen one other game do this on my PC (Spoiler Alert!)...

Here's a shot of MSI Afterburner information while running MKX:
mkx.jpg

And here's a shot of MSI Afterburner info while running Sacred 3:
sacred3.png

I think the important thing here is to note that the CPU utilization for sacred 3 says at or below 6%.

If you think you have an answer, please PM me or something, as I'm bad at checking threads for replies and I honestly don't expect anyone to have an answer to this crap.

Having a problem with Sacred 3 where, for some unknown reason, it refuses to actually USE my EVGA geForce 770 (2gb) for anything and the framerate goes down into the single digits.

Other games run fine at high settings including Killing Floor 2, Mortal Kombat X, Alien Isolation, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, etc.

CPU is an i5-3570k.
16gb of system RAM.
Win 8.1 on a SSD (250gb)
Steam installed on SSD, Steam library on secondary 3TB HDD

I've tried older drivers, newest drivers, clean install of drivers, changing BIOS memory settings, contacting Deep Silver's tech support and posting in the Steam thread... nobody seems able figure out the problem.

I've only seen one other game do this on my PC (Spoiler Alert!)...

Here's a shot of MSI Afterburner information while running MKX:
mkx.jpg

And here's a shot of MSI Afterburner info while running Sacred 3:
sacred3.png

I think the important thing here is to note that the CPU utilization for sacred 3 says at or below 6%.

If you think you have an answer, please PM me or something, as I'm bad at checking threads for replies and I honestly don't expect anyone to have an answer to this crap.

Go to Nvidia control panel - 3d settings - set power management mode to maximum instead of adaptive.

webkid94

Anyone know why a "Roku Stick" keeps popping up on the Youtube App for Android, even though: A) I don't own one and B) it only appears on my wifi not data. It's really annoying and I wonder why it shows up.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
The large screeching/grinding sound was probably the fan on the gpu, it is most likely fried. You can try it in another pc just to be sure, but the 780 is a fairly recent card if it's still under warranty I'd just RMA it.

You can try re-seating the card into the pci-e slot and/or the power connectors on the card itself to see if anything happens/improves. Hope that helps!

Thanks oneran.

Though I think I have arrived on a new conclusion.
My earlier post, for those who might wanna know more about the issue- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=161136382&postcount=8014

After connecting the internal mobo graphics, the display working fine but for some reason the aduio wont work. The speakers were plugged in the 3.5mm jacks but the PC wont detect them.
This made me think. Its not the Graphics card or the power supply. Its the mobo. Its the only common link between both the graphics card and audio not working. Maybe the card is fine but the mobo is not able to recognize the card.

Ourobolus

Banned
Got a Mac question:

I have an older Macbook 13" whose HDD just crashed and I can't recover it. I've got a new HDD installed, but now I need to do a clean install of Snow Leopard. I don't have any other Macs (only PCs), is there a way to make a bootable USB so that I can install Snow Leopard?

Symphonia

Banned
Got a question regarding routers.

I'm with Sky and, as of today, I am on fibre but currently only wirelessly. My router, a Sky Hub, is connected to the master socket located downstairs. My PS4 and Mac are both located upstairs in my office/bedroom. Is it possible to use the Sky Hub both wirelessly and wired at the same time? Wireless for my Mac and wired, using an extended ethernet cable, for my PS4?

help!
does mac osx' online recovery found in the cmd+r startup menu wipe the hard drive it's installed to? what files will i lose?

Got a question regarding routers.

I'm with Sky and, as of today, I am on fibre but currently only wirelessly. My router, a Sky Hub, is connected to the master socket located downstairs. My PS4 and Mac are both located upstairs in my office/bedroom. Is it possible to use the Sky Hub both wirelessly and wired at the same time? Wireless for my Mac and wired, using an extended ethernet cable, for my PS4?

yeah, both can be used at once.

Ramma2

Anyone know why a "Roku Stick" keeps popping up on the Youtube App for Android, even though: A) I don't own one and B) it only appears on my wifi not data. It's really annoying and I wonder why it shows up.

Someone nearby has one, and it broadcasts itself out there for syncing up with compatible apps. For instance I have a Chromecast stick, and I can see it as a wifi device.

Banned
I like to down sample to my 1080p single monitor for gaming. My target is usually max 1080p60. Is my GTX 780 still good enough or should I get a 980 with the extra 1GB of VRAM?

Ramma2

Where would be the best place to buy one at a relatively cheap price?

Monoprice.com if you can wait for it, otherwise your best bet is to find a smaller computer shop that will make cables by the foot. Going to a best buy or office max/depot you'll end up over paying quite a bit.

Symphonia

Banned
Monoprice.com if you can wait for it, otherwise your best bet is to find a smaller computer shop that will make cables by the foot. Going to a best buy or office max/depot you'll end up over paying quite a bit.
All sorted. I went to Maplin (a UK-based electronics store) and bought a 25M ethernet cable for £29.99. I ran it from the router downstairs to my PS4 upstairs, and am getting 40Mb/s - far better than my 5Mb/s previously. It slows down as I download (I have Watch Dogs and Alien Isolation downloading) but not by much, something like 30-35Mb/s, which is still far better than my previous speeds. I should have switched to LAN sooner.

Piano

Banned
When using Cobian Backup it gives me an I/O error when trying to backup to my oldest hard drive.

After the first time it happened I restarted the computer and during boot windows detected a problem with chkdisk or whatever.

I manually ran check disk again within Windows and it found no errors.

Cobian Backup still reports I/O error, only to this one hard drive.

I am able to open files backed up onto it just fine.

Is the hard drive dying? I'm confused.

Im hoping someone here can help me install my Hori VX arcade stick on my Windows 8 64 bit PC.
When I plug it in, I get the generic "USB device not recognized" message.
I can see the arcade stick listed in Device Manager (listed as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"), but I cant seem to allocate the Xbox controller driver to it (xusb22.sys).
Can anyone please tell me how to get this arcade stick to link to the xbox controller driver, because it seems like my Windows just isnt interested in it?
I found this link, but dont trust it (it is probably Cryptolocker, knowing my luck).

http://www.drivermax.com/driver-dow...device+class/HORI/HORI+REAL+ARCADE+PRO.+VX-SA

Thanks

pashmilla

Banned
I was listening to music on my computer when the sound in one headphone suddenly went super quiet. At first I thought the headphones were broken, but when I tried a different pair the same thing happened. I tested the headphones on my phone, too, so I know they're not the problem. I have no idea what caused this or how to fix it. It literally happened from one second to the next. Thanks.

Oh, and I checked the headphone balance, and it was normal.

Edit 2: nvm, fixed it. I have no idea how, but hey.

Im hoping someone here can help me install my Hori VX arcade stick on my Windows 8 64 bit PC.
When I plug it in, I get the generic "USB device not recognized" message.
I can see the arcade stick listed in Device Manager (listed as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"), but I cant seem to allocate the Xbox controller driver to it (xusb22.sys).
Can anyone please tell me how to get this arcade stick to link to the xbox controller driver, because it seems like my Windows just isnt interested in it?
I found this link, but dont trust it (it is probably Cryptolocker, knowing my luck).

http://www.drivermax.com/driver-dow...device+class/HORI/HORI+REAL+ARCADE+PRO.+VX-SA

Thanks

I only did some googling as I don't have Arcade sticks but it led me to this which might or might not help: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/191889/hori-fighting-stick-vx-with-windows-pc-64-bit-work

I hope it does as it sounds like your scenario!

Roto13

I need to buy an enclosure for this old-ass hard drive from my husband's ancient laptop, but what do I know from hard drives? Can someone tell me what kind of hard drive this is? (I have tiny baby hands. Not to scale.)

kennah

I need to buy an enclosure for this old-ass hard drive from my husband's ancient laptop, but what do I know from hard drives? Can someone tell me what kind of hard drive this is? (I have tiny baby hands. Not to scale.)
That is a very old ide laptop hard drive. What country are you in?

IceIpor

Crap, of course I would find this thread after making my own. I knew we had to have one of these, but couldn't find it through search.

Basically, whenever I turn on my computer, it will go through its normal boot procedure, the loading Windows 7 icon animation will come up, and then, right when Windows would normally appear, my monitors go into power save mode. The computer itself doesn't turn off or anything like that though, just the monitors. Here is some additional information:

- This all started immediately after I moved my pc from one room to the next this past weekend. The computer wasn't dropped or anything and I can see no loose wires/connections.

- The computer boots perfectly into Safe mode. I am actually typing this on the computer now.

- I have tried disabling all Non-Windows Services and all Startup items using MSConfig, but it has no impact.

- I have removed/tested the following pieces of hardware to determine if they were the problem: DVD Drive, Graphics Card (AMD R290), Sound card (Asus Xonar DG), all secondary hard drives, primary drive (ran disk check), both sticks of RAM, different RAM slots, and the power supply.

- Have performed malware scan using Malwarebytes. No issues found and hadn't had any issues previously.

- I ordered a new power supply, as I was convinced that was the problem, but the problem still occurs.

- There is a clicking sound right when the monitors turn off, which I originally thought was the power supply. I later determined that it was the sound card, but removing the sound card has no effect. I assume that this is the amp on the card clicking on/off. Not sure if this helps with the problem, but figured I would mention it.

- I cannot boot into VGA mode. I've tried everything, but the only options I receive are to boot into Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc...

- I am currently running one monitor on the integrated graphics card. The problem occurs both on the integrated and the external graphics cards.

- Components are as follows:
CPU: i7 2600k
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws X (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM) x 2 - 8gigs total
Primary HD: OCZ Agility 3 SSD (firmware update has been performed)

I'm pretty much at my wits end here. I've tried everything I can possibly think of, short of replacing the entire motherboard. I would gladly do that if it would fix it, but I just cannot think of a reason as to why the motherboard would cause me not to be able to boot into windows. Especially when it will boot into safe mode just fine. If you guys need any other info to help figure this out, just let me know!

I don't know if you ever fixed it, but one thing I would check is this, since you are on Windows 7.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...graphics-driver-updates-and-windows-defender/
(In fact, check if any Windows Updates were installed around the period you started having problems and try to see if uninstalling them will fix it.)

If you have a spare drive, or can make a spare drive, try installing a fresh version of Windows on it. If it boots fine, and you can install the graphic drivers fine, then you most likely have a damaged OS and will probably need to format it. Sorry.

Top Bottom