• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Stupid question, but since I've never done this before, I want to triple check to make sure.

I'm getting an SSD soon and I want to install it fresh instead of cloning my drive. The thing is, I don't have a Windows disk to install. It's a pre-built PC. From what I understand, if I create a recovery disk, that's basically the same thing, right? I can use that to start up my brand new harddrive.

I only did some googling as I don't have Arcade sticks but it led me to this which might or might not help: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/191889/hori-fighting-stick-vx-with-windows-pc-64-bit-work

I hope it does as it sounds like your scenario!

Thanks for the link. It is very close to my problem. Unfortunately because I use Windows 8, it wont let me allocate that driver to the arcade stick. I tried changing the .exe file to Win 7 64 Compatibility mode, but it still didnt work. I think the heart of the problem is that Windows 8 wont recognize the arcade stick as any type of controller. The only driver options it will give me are for usb hubs and external drives.
Between the obnoxious start menu, Windows calender not saving events I put in and now this driver BS, I am really regretting taking Windows 8 with my new system. I should have stuck with 7.

Kade

I've been having some really strange issues with Google Chrome lately and I'm not really sure if it was caused by an update or if something else is busted and I've been having trouble figuring out how to fix them. The most annoying of the issues is related to how links open up. Using NeoGAF as an example, clicking links in a thread used to open them in a new tab but now they open in the same tab and clicking back will not bring me to the thread, but the page that was open in that tab before the thread (usually the forum section). Another issue is with sites that use those transparent overlay windows/frames (not sure what their called) when you click a picture, like Twitter or Instagram, and clicking the picture again will open the object in the tab you're in. Clicking on these pictures opens up the picture preview frame thing for less than a second then opens it as if you clicked it a second time. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome many times but the issues still persist.

EDIT: It seems the issue is fixed after deleting an extension (Word Filter) that was causing this really strange behaviour.

ElTopo

Banned
Reposting from here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=162771421#post162771421

I have a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5750.

I've had it for awhile and I had to re-install everything on a hard drive recently. I tried to update the drivers for the video card and it borked. Basically, my system will not recognize the card after I've updated the drivers. And I've tried updating the driver through Device Manager and the AMD site and it say's the drivers are up to date. Meanwhile, I can't play any games and can't open Catalyst Control Center.

Here's the kicker; I just installed Premiere Pro CS6 and it forces me to update the driver to run it. After updating the driver I can run Premiere Pro but like I said I can't run games or anything else.

I am at a loss and am about to rip my hair out.

Pickman

8vVu0w5.jpg

Just had to vent real quick. I really hate working on PCs where the keyboard looks like this. Goddamned pigs.

Prez

Few short questions concerning malware:

1.Can MP3, AAC and FLAC music be infected?
2. My dad's back-up hard drive has photos that are infected with malware (came up after a malwarebytes scan). If I remove these threats with malwarebytes, will the photos be removed as well? I've tried to restore but I get errors.
3. On same hard drive I have a back-up of a lot of music. Is it safe to copy those files to a clean hard drive without infecting it?

I need some help with Windows services, they seem to be really fucked up on my computer and this is a fresh install of Windows 8.1. Since I've booted my PC this morning I've had over 4000 (!) System Errors in the Event Viewer, all of them relating to various system services. Many services have failed to start "in a timely fashion" according to the logs and I would love to know why this is happening. More of these events are appearing every second the computer is on.

Anyone know what's up?

KScorp

My PC is suddenly very unstable, and files keep getting corrupted.

Dota 2 was crashing, then other apps were crashing, then it was completely freezing my computer, then Explorer bugged out, and finally Windows crapped itself and I couldn't log in. This all happened in the span of a single day.

I reinstalled Windows and now, a week later, the same crap is starting to happen. Dota 2 is crashing. SFC is detecting a corrupted file in Windows but it can't repair it because the original is also corrupted...

Something is dying in my PC but I don't know what. I've run a mem test as well as a CPU/GPU test, but I can't find anything breaking. My system SSD is also reporting that it's fine. Are there tools I can run to help me find out what is happening?

louiedog

So my computer froze up this morning and when I turned it back on my GPU was showing these green vertical bands. They're on a dark image to better highlight them.

It happens even in the BIOS so it's not Windows. It happens on multiple displays running from different ports and my onboard Intel HD GPU works fine so it's not my monitor or cable.

Can anyone think of a cause that I might be able to address and try to fix?

Thanks for the link. It is very close to my problem. Unfortunately because I use Windows 8, it wont let me allocate that driver to the arcade stick. I tried changing the .exe file to Win 7 64 Compatibility mode, but it still didnt work. I think the heart of the problem is that Windows 8 wont recognize the arcade stick as any type of controller. The only driver options it will give me are for usb hubs and external drives.
Between the obnoxious start menu, Windows calender not saving events I put in and now this driver BS, I am really regretting taking Windows 8 with my new system. I should have stuck with 7.

Sorry to hear it didn't work :/ How are you trying to allocate the driver to the Arcade stick though, can you elaborate in detail?

So my computer froze up this morning and when I turned it back on my GPU was showing these green vertical bands. They're on a dark image to better highlight them.

It happens even in the BIOS so it's not Windows. It happens on multiple displays running from different ports and my onboard Intel HD GPU works fine so it's not my monitor or cable.

Can anyone think of a cause that I might be able to address and try to fix?

Sounds like your GPU as a whole has a defect, could you check it in another PC?

louiedog

Sounds like your GPU as a whole has a defect, could you check it in another PC?

Nope. The only other desktop I can put it has a mobo that went bad about 2 months ago.

Unfortunately I think the GPU needs to be replaced. Fortunately it's still under warranty for a few more months. At least I have a new CPU with Intel HD graphics that should be good enough for a couple of weeks.

alternade

So my PC has started making a clicking noise and it sounds like it's coming from the PSU. Its about 3 years old so as good a time as any to replace. I'm not sure what PSU is comparable to this with my case. Any suggestions?
This is my build

JCssbZP

So... I'm not getting and video from the GPU or onboard for a new build.

The build is my friend's first, and now we're having hair pulling worthy issues.

Basically, there's no way to get video at all. On board, GPU, etc.

The RAM, we've removed multiple times and swapped for RAM that I know for a fact works properly on that motherboard because I was using the mobo until a few weeks ago when I upgraded.

The mobo in question is a Z87-A. Besides no video, the CPU-LED red LED is on.

The fans run, drives and GPU get power, but no video signal. We've tried multiple displays and cables as well.

I've removed the PSU and tried with my own to no avail. All the connections are nice and tight, too.

Specs are as follows:
-R9 290
-i5 4460
-8gb Kingston blue HyperX RAM (2x4)
-64 GB Sandisk SSD
-1TB WD Blue HDD
-500w PSU from Thermaltake
-Z87-A ASUS motherboard

Dismount the motherboard, place it on top of a cardboard box, connect only 1 memory module, the motherboard power connector, the cpu power connector and if possible the power button connector (if not possible, you can just short those to pins with a screw driver to start the computer). If you get a picture on screen with this configuration, re mount it in the case to see if you still get a picture, and then connect things one by one.

Kusagari

The top of my PC has a semi-open vent where my Coolermaster fan is located. My phone fell right on top of it and since then the fan has been making crazy loud noises.

Could the phone have knocked it out of place or something?

Rufus

The top of my PC has a semi-open vent where my Coolermaster fan is located. My phone fell right on top of it and since then the fan has been making crazy loud noises.

Could the phone have knocked it out of place or something?
The grill might be bent inward and the blades now touch it. Best fix that before it kills your fan. If it's the fan itself, inspect it for any loose bits.

RGM79

So... I'm not getting and video from the GPU or onboard for a new build.

The build is my friend's first, and now we're having hair pulling worthy issues.

Basically, there's no way to get video at all. On board, GPU, etc.

The RAM, we've removed multiple times and swapped for RAM that I know for a fact works properly on that motherboard because I was using the mobo until a few weeks ago when I upgraded.

The mobo in question is a Z87-A. Besides no video, the CPU-LED red LED is on.

The fans run, drives and GPU get power, but no video signal. We've tried multiple displays and cables as well.

I've removed the PSU and tried with my own to no avail. All the connections are nice and tight, too.

Specs are as follows:
-R9 290
-i5 4460
-8gb Kingston blue HyperX RAM (2x4)
-64 GB Sandisk SSD
-1TB WD Blue HDD
-500w PSU from Thermaltake
-Z87-A ASUS motherboard
What BIOS revision is the Z87 motherboard at? All Z87 models need certain BIOS updates to work with newer processors like the i5 4460, some of them ship with later BIOS revisions already included, but if the motherboard you have was old stock then it may be on an old BIOS revision and technically not compatible with the i5 4460.

According to the Asus website, your motherboard needs to be at BIOS version 1802 to be compatible with the i5 4460.

You cannot update the BIOS to be compatible with the i5 4460 without having a compatible processor in the first place, so that might prove to be an issue.

What BIOS revision is the Z87 motherboard at? All Z87 models need certain BIOS updates to work with newer processors like the i5 4460, some of them ship with later BIOS revisions already included, but if the motherboard you have was old stock then it may be on an old BIOS revision and technically not compatible with the i5 4460.

According to the Asus website, your motherboard needs to be at BIOS version 1802 to be compatible with the i5 4460.

You cannot update the BIOS to be compatible with the i5 4460 without having a compatible processor in the first place, so that might prove to be an issue.

I was using a 4670k in that same motherboard for over a year. Just stopped using it a few weeks ago.

Dismount the motherboard, place it on top of a cardboard box, connect only 1 memory module, the motherboard power connector, the cpu power connector and if possible the power button connector (if not possible, you can just short those to pins with a screw driver to start the computer). If you get a picture on screen with this configuration, re mount it in the case to see if you still get a picture, and then connect things one by one.

Done. Not posting anything.

RGM79

I was using a 4670k in that same motherboard for over a year. Just stopped using it a few weeks ago.

Done. Not posting anything.
Yes, the older 4670K is compatible with the Z87-A's oldest BIOS revision out of the box, but the newer 4460 won't be compatible unless your BIOS has been updated to a new enough revision.

Yes, the older 4670K is compatible with the Z87-A out of the box, but the newer 4460 probably isn't.

Oh, shit. The 4670k is older?

I never updated the BIOS for that mobo

My God. Taking my 4670k out and throwing it in there to update the BIOS if it posts.

If it works I'm going to find you and hug you

mintyice

My PC has been a little weird lately (Windows 7/SSD). When I go to boot it up, it sits at a black screen with the cursor on it, sometimes I can move it, sometimes I can't. After about 10 seconds it puts me at the User login screen, after I pick my user it loads like normal. It never used to do this, and it used to just boot to desktop super quick when turning it on. I don't know what the black screen is about, and I don't know why it's making me pick a user. I have that disabled using netplwiz but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any help?

Samara

Techies, my Acer aspire keeps logging out of wifi for no reason. Its brand new, so I dont know why it's acting that way. And Windows 8 is fucking confusing

On another laptop, my nephew put an OS password on it and he forgot it. A technician asked for 20$ to remove it. Its a Dell. Good choice?

louiedog

Techies, my Acer aspire keeps logging out of wifi for no reason. Its brand new, so I dont know why it's acting that way. And Windows 8 is fucking confusing

Windows may be turning off the adapter as a power saving feature. Go into device manager, right click the adapter, go to properties, and make sure the box in the below pic is not checked.

On another laptop, my nephew put an OS password on it and he forgot it. A technician asked for 20$ to remove it. Its a Dell. Good choice?

I haven't done it myself, but there are a couple ways to change the password. Google around for a solution or wait until someone can better answer this. You'll probably find the same procedure the guy is going to charge you $20 to do.

Anyone got experience with AMD DVR? I'm trying to get it set up to record my gameplay, but it's not working.

I've got the overlay in-game, it says it is currently recording, but when I hit the hotkey assigned to save the last X minutes of gameplay, it does nothing. No file is created, not even a notification about failure/success. I've tried different games, settings, hotkeys, disabling other overlays (Steam, Origin), all that stuff. Nothing gives me success.

My card is an R9 290X, so it should be compatible.

EDIT: Never mind. It just started deciding to save videos after a few restarts.

KScorp

Ok, I've narrowed the problem down a bit from before.

Basically, my system files are just becoming corrupted seemingly randomly. System file checker often finds corrupt files, which then need to be corrected via "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth". I haven't been able to verify if non-system files are becoming corrupted yet, but I've generated a 1GB file that I'll be hashing every so often to see if it changes.

Is this a sign of my SSD failing? There are no SMART errors, and the drive passes its built-in tests.

I've installed a new instance of Windows on an HDD to see if the symptoms don't appear on it. I'll give it about a week, and if it ends up error free I guess I'm replacing the SSD, which is luckily still under warranty.

RGM79

Great timing for this thread.

Ok, my friend was trying to set up a computer for his Mom that she got from her sister. It's a Dell, dual-core, 512MB RAM, Windows XP. She has no ISP service at the moment, however he confirmed that he's able to connect with his ipod touch to an open wifi connection from somewhere in the apartment. He bought a belkin wireless g router for the PC, and was hoping to connect the PC to the internet for his Mom for quick tasks(checking email, looking up certain info...I already explained to him to tell her to keep it limited to that, so as not to abuse someone else's bandwidth). She's home on worker's comp. due to a back injury she suffered while working at the hospital).

He's wondering why his router can't just sniff out the open connection and connect to it like his ipod touch does. The router's installation disk says it can't find the ethernet connection, but he says it's clearly connected, and it shows up on his ipod touch as well.

Basically, is there any program out there that I can put on a flash drive for him that will act like an ipod touch...use his wireless router to detect open connections and connect to it directly, without having to deal with Windows' convoluted network setup stuff?

Some routers have that feature (called wifi bridging), but not all. What model of router did he buy?

Why didn't he just buy a USB wifi adaptor? Those things are usually simpler and just plug and play. Does he want the router to connect multiple PCs or something?

Carnby

I am trying to set up a network printer. Am I missing anything in these steps?

1. Manually assign ip address to the printer, via printer's control panel.

2. On the print server, set up a tcp/ip port and select the printer's drivers.

3. In the dhcp server, reserve the IP for the printer.

4. Map printer on workstation...?

Thanks in advance.

jost

Neo Member
I'm looking to see if anyone has had any experience with AppNeta, which is a network monitoring tools tailored to monitoring web, SaaS and network for the end user. I've poked around, but reviews and thoughts on this product seem to be pretty sparse (though I never claimed to have good GoogleFu) I was hoping to get the thoughts of someone that has or is using this monitoring tool.

Having intermittent network issues and not sure if it is the modem and/or the router. The router firmware log shows the occasional timeout but they don't always match when the problem occurs. I have a TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 router running DD-WRT. I've looked into looking at its logs but I'm having trouble with that. There's a wiki page that is rather unhelpful. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Logging_with_DD-WRT Activated logging in the firmware but I don't understand how to access the logs.

Edit: Trying to use that WallWatcher program but not sure if it is working with my router.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys so a couple of days Skype started acting up. I suddenly can't click any links posted in the chat window. I'm forced to right-click, copy the link and then paste it in my browser.

I searched google but the only fix I could find that was actually working was re-install skype completely. I did that and it did fix the problem indeed but then the next day after I rebooted the pc the problem was back.

I'm running Skype for desktop on Windows 8.1 with Chrome.

Anybody have any ideas?

I'm hoping you guys can help me since I have no idea how to fix this:

I'm using Firefox and for some reason some images simply will not show. It seems to happen on pages with many images/gifs. In fact, it seems to only happen on Neogaf. I tried going to the same web pages on Chrome and everything showed up just fine.

At first I thought it was the Youtube Me Again script, but I disabled it and still had the same issues. The only other add-on I have is AdBlock, which is disabled on Neogaf.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Kal_El

I have a problem with my very old PC. Everytime I start Chrome the color changes from 32-bit or whatever to 8-bit and you can barely make out what's on the screen. It's an easy fix to change it back but what can I do to stop it completely?

Okay, I'm having issues with a hard drive, and I wonder if anyone can help.

I have Windows Vista, and there are 4 hard drives in the system (two 320GB drives, a 500GB, and 2TB). One of the four SATA ports on the motherboard broke off several years ago, so I got a PCI SATA card for one of the drives. The 500GB drive is the one attached to the PCI card. I recently got a 4TB external drive, which uses USB.

Some time (I don't know how long, for a while I didn't notice the drive was missing... :p) after moving a bunch of stuff over to the new drive, the 500GB drive, the one attached to the PCI card, has vanished from Windows. Neither the drive nor any of its partitions exist in Disk Management, and the disk does not appear in the Device Manager either. The drive isn't listed in the system BIOS either, but since it's attached to a PCI card and not the system, that might be expected. The drive IS listed in the PCI card's RAID-settings BIOS, which is by Silicon Image, but you can't do anything there except set up RAID options, which I'm not using. So I knew the drive wasn't totally dead, something (I have no clue what) just went very wrong.

Next, I tried attaching the drive to the motherboard, using the SATA port that the 2TB drive is on (I forget which of the two physical 320GBs is the boot drive, so I didn't want to mess with those unless I have to). I didn't attach the 2TB to anything, just left it unconnected. This... caused Windows to fail to correctly boot -- the screen went black after the Windows logon screen (where you choose an account and enter your password). I could get the Task Manager to open and get to a few things through that, but it didn't really work. This was quite concerning to say the least.

After this, I re-hooked up stuff the way it was at first -- 2TB to motherboard, 500GB to PCI card. If the problem is something relating to the PCI card, I don't want to mess up some other drive too by hooking it up to it...

Most recently, I tried a Linux boot DVD that I made several months back, to see if I'd get any farther there. Here things get interesting -- Linux can see the 500GB drive! Now, the 500GB drive has three partitions on it, two about 220GBs and one about 9GB. Linux could see, and access, two of those partitions, the small one and one of the 220GB ones. I copied some files off of both partitions to another partition and it worked fine; access was slow, but it's doing it off of an OS on a DVD, so maybe that was a factor. Anyway, it worked with no problems.

Now, the third partition, called Amur, is an issue; Linux can't mount that drive. It can see the partition name and the amount of data on the partition (~120GB full of ~220GB), which is correct, but can't open (mount) the drive. Maybe this is related to why Windows can't see the drive at all? The OS gives the error message "This location could not be displayed. Sorry, could not display all the contents of “Amur”: Error when getting information for file '/media/ubuntu/Amur/$RECYCLE.BIN': Input/output error". Hmm.. interesting; I don't know what it means, but it's something different anyway. Is there any way of fixing this and gaining access to the drive again?

Going back to Windows afterwards, the drive still doesn't exist in either the Disk or Device Managers. Other partition management programs in Windows cannot see the disk either.

So uh... any help here? I'd prefer to not lose the data on the drive (I could at least copy over the two partitions Linux can see to another drive, but not the other one of course), but anything that gets the drive working again would be great.

Had a freak out with the router. I was running DD-WRT and having issues so I decided to see if they were independent of the firmware by going back to the stock. I followed the loose procedure to do so and ended up thinking I had bricked it in the process. Turned out that everything was okay. Moral of the story: don't screw with router firmwares unless you know what you are doing, because succeeding can look a lot like fucking up.

Talax

I have a laptop with an i7-2670QM which (by specs) says 2.2Ghz with turbo up to 3.1Ghz.
I checked the core speed on cpu-z and it's 800 Mhz (multiplier 8 with bus of 100Mhz). I assumed that the default at which the processor would be running is 2.2Ghz so wanted to ask is this normal that it should be at 8 multiplier?

EDIT: nvm. Found it. It's something called EIST. I guess you learn something new everyday. :p

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
For the first time ever, I can't get rid of one of those stupid pseudo-search engines that take over your browser home page and look like Google. It's called delta-homes.com. Here's a screenshot:

I've done everything I usually do: antivirus check, CCleaner (incl. registry cleaning), MalwareBytes, and obviously trying to change the page in my FireFox/Chrome settings. Heck, in my desperation I even used the site's how-to-remove-our-search-engine page (yes, they do have one).

My Firefox and Chrome settings do indicate that my home page is Google, and sure enough, when I press the home button in the browser, I get Google. Even when I open a new window, I get Google, like normal. But when I start an actual new browser session? Bam, fuckin' Delta Homes again... I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Perhaps a dumb question, but have you tried uninstalling both browsers, doing the cleaning, restarting and then reinstalling?

To be honest I didn't want to do that because reinstalling all my plugins and stuff is a pain (what can I say, I'm lazy) and it's only my work laptop, not my own, but I guess if there's no other solution I'll do that some time...

Even if that works, I'm still confused and genuinely curious about this. I feel like I've deleted all traces of the thing off the computer, and yet it's still there. I'd love to know how it manages to be so resilient, not just get rid of it. If anyone wants to wager a guess, be my guest.

A few weeks ago my circuit breaker was tripped with a pop from somewhere in the houses wiring (now I think it might have been the sensor light which was on fire in the rain before) My wife thought it was the socket there laptop was plugged into but it seemed to keep working on battery power.

When I then plugged it back in to the protected circuit board (I know it should've been plugged in there to start with) it wouldn't take a charge and has been flat with no way to restore power to it since.

I've tried:

- taking the battery out and applying mains directly to it, no go.
- a new power supply and cord to this laptop, no go.
- the original power supply and core to my sisters laptop, that works.

I've concluded that the motherboard I guess isn't able to draw power somehow and want to know if this is completely fatal or something fixable but not too expensive.

I think the hdd is alright because it was working fine while battery power was there.

Dobsie

Help me GAF, I have a Dell L502x, occasionally when I close the lid to put it into standby the fan will not turn off and the laptop gets really hot and won't boot back up. The only way I can fix it is to pull the power (either AC or battery) and reinsert.
I took it apart yesterday and gave the fan a good clean but this hasn't helped, also running the latest bios.

MSI 7850 to HDTV via HDMI, I have a horrible horizontal line.

Even with V-Sync ON in games

The line is always in the same place, at least until the game is restarted, but I'll have to research more to verify if that even changes it.

It looks a lot like a V-sync tear, but happens with V-sync on. Possibly related to the fact that I duplicate my screen to a DVI monitor as well. It does keep happening once switching to just the one screen though.

bronk

Banned
Hey guys I recently got a dell inspirion 3847 last week. It has an intel I5. I also bought a evga gtx750ti SC. I installed it and everything was ok until i update the drivers. It runs slow and everytime i touch windows 8 icon it freezes for a couple seconds. I downloaded a program that uninstalls drivers from computer. All old ones and nvidia ones. When i use computer afterwards its fast again no freezing. Then when i download and install nvidia drivers it runs slow again. Im not the most computer savvy. Please help.

Edit: I updated the bios and it worked perfectly after that. The guy from EVGA tech support was cool and really helped me out.

GavinGT

Banned
Every time I download an .exe and try to run it, I get this error message:

FxliyPW.png

The only workaround is to rename the .exe. Then it runs. However, this causes problems with some installers which expect a particular name for the .exe.

I'm on Windows 8. This is my home computer which I set up personally. I am the administrator. It worked fine for years, and just started telling me this one day.

Top Bottom