• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Does anyone know of a way to get Windows 10 to mimic the Spaces feature in OSX? I have a MacBook Pro and a Surface Pro 3 for work, with access to two external monitors. I normally use my MacBook because the virtual desktop features are so good. They added virtual desktops to Win10, but I can't find a way to switch between them on independent monitors, which makes the extra desktops basically useless for me. I've been having to spend a lot more time in Excel recently and would prefer to work natively in Windows for that (I have Parallels on my MacBook, but it still performs a lot worse on there than it does on the Surface), but losing the independent management of my "spaces" is not worth the trade-off. Some Googling suggests that it might be possible with third-party applications, but I was hoping I was just missing a setting.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but Windows 10 has these features are to these hotkeys. I do not have Windows 10 so I couldn't test it but I did find it from a tech support site. Hopefully it works.

Windows Key + Ctrl + D – Create a new virtual desktop and switch to it
Windows Key + Ctrl + F4 – Close the current virtual desktop.
Windows Key + Ctrl + Left / Right – Switch to the virtual desktop on the left or right.

Rktk

I'm looking for a free tool to do batch image resizing on Windows, does anyone know something like that? Photoshop has a script to do that but I want something dedicated and free, any help would be much appreciated.

Schrade

I'm looking for a free tool to do batch image resizing on Windows, does anyone know something like that? Photoshop has a script to do that but I want something dedicated and free, any help would be much appreciated.

IrfanView.

File -> Batch Conversion/Rename

It's nice and it's pretty configurable. The resizing is in the Advanced options of the Batch Conversion window.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but Windows 10 has these features are to these hotkeys. I do not have Windows 10 so I couldn't test it but I did find it from a tech support site. Hopefully it works.

Windows Key + Ctrl + D – Create a new virtual desktop and switch to it
Windows Key + Ctrl + F4 – Close the current virtual desktop.
Windows Key + Ctrl + Left / Right – Switch to the virtual desktop on the left or right.

Thank you for this, but not exactly what I'm looking for, as these manipulate the desktop on all three screens at the same time instead of switching just one screen. I'm pretty sure I can't do what I'm looking for. : /

brentech

I have a newer build, 6700K, 980TI, on a MSI Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard.
Using Corsair AX750 CMPSU-750AX power supply. Corsair H105 cooling.

I have been getting hard locks ups during gaming over the past couple months and can't figure out where the problem is. Over the past weeks I thought it was the audio driver. Uninstalled it, had no problems for two weeks - playing hours of Dark Souls 3 without issue. Suddenly tonight in Dota 2:

Screen locks and audio just starts going on a haywire repeat. (this is how it always happens)
BgLJ0Xnl.jpg

I have pulled the video card out (when I was about to RMA it), and the computer still crashed in Dota in the same exact manner. I'm just unsure if the PSU or MB could actually be causing this. I'm at a loss right now.
Anything obvious shouting out to anyone?

pestul

Hardware question:

I have this HP Pavilion p6534f that I'm using for a Plex media server / FTP etc. It currently runs a Core i3 540 cpu.

Supported cpus says:
Processor upgrade information
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Intel Core i7-8xx (Lynnfield core)

Intel Core i5-7xx (Lynnfield core)

Intel Core i5-6xx (Clarkdale core)

Intel Core i3-5xx (Clarkdale core)
I'm looking to drop a Lynnfield Xeon X3450 in there. Since it's essentially a Core i7-860 equivalent it should work right? I can't find too many instances online of people trying. One I've found for this motherboard (MS 7613 / IONA GL8E) had someone trying a X3470 but there was no follow up as to how it went.

Thanks.

EDIT: I've also found a Core i5 760 for a reasonable price (more than the x3450) but it is definitely compatible. The X3450 scores over 1000 more on PassMark though and is definitely superior for Plex transcoding.

I recently got a new rig:
GA-B150-HD3P MOBO
MSI R9 390 GPU
I5-6600 CPU

I have been doing some monitoring on the various temperatures and performance of these parts, and there's one thing that's alarming me. In HWmonitor the Motherboard's TMPIN1 is being constantly displayed as -54.

Has anyone else run into something like this before? Is HWmonitor unable to properly read the sensor, or should I be worried?

00Zombie00

Neo Member
I recently got a new rig:
GA-B150-HD3P MOBO
MSI R9 390 GPU
I5-6600 CPU

I have been doing some monitoring on the various temperatures and performance of these parts, and there's one thing that's alarming me. In HWmonitor the Motherboard's TMPIN1 is being constantly displayed as -54.

Has anyone else run into something like this before? Is HWmonitor unable to properly read the sensor, or should I be worried?

Had this issue aswell, in my case there wasnt a Sensor at all. If you are not using liqued ice to cool your MOBO this should be fine, maybe you havent installed some drivers yet, tho.

Had this issue aswell, in my case there wasnt a Sensor at all. If you are not using liqued ice to cool your MOBO this should be fine, maybe you havent installed some drivers yet, tho.

Could be, sadly Gigabyte's app center is a fucking mess hehe.

Gonna have a look into those drivers. Although I could have sworn it wasn't like that before, neither with the same model I had before this one (same model, but malfunctioned so I got a new one).

Something is very wrong.
I got a bluescreen out of nowhere (Win10, error message memory management) and now I get one everytime I try to boot. Sometimes it tells me that some checksume got calculated wrong (\windows\system32\winload.exe Code: 0xc0000221) and sometimes it says the OS couldn't load (\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Same code).

Sounds like I have to reinstall Windows. Any advice or idea how on earth this happend?

Edit: And please tell me this isn't a hardware problem :/

Me again. I resetted Windows and verything worked fine for a few days. Now, while playing Dark Souls 3, the same thing happend again. The game froze, I hit reset, bluescreen.

Another reset and before I can even open the Bios, I get this screen (the coloured spots are a trail left by the mouse).

http://i.imgur.com/fXyqx6m.jpg

ACE 1991

So I do some light IT stuff at my job (I work for a small non-profit), and we had one of our server (the server is from 08) hard drives fail last week, which is part of a 4 drive RAID setup, so everything is mirrored onto the other drives. I went in last night to replace the degraded hard drive with a new drive. In the configuration utility, it was confirmed that the new drive was recognized and the RAID setup was set to rebuild status, with a note that the rebuild would happen in the operating system. When I tried to boot I got stuck in an infinite restarting loop with windows failing to boot. Boot order was correct, so that isn't the problem. I took out the new HD and replaced it with the degraded one to test, and the computer and OS booted fine. What the hell could be the problem here? My one theory, which according to some googling is super unlikely, is that the old motherboard didn't like the SSHD I bought to replace the defective drive; the other 3 drives in the array are 500GB mechanical drives, and the new one is a 1TB SSHD. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Heretic

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the color of the selection border in Excel 2007? Just the border letting you know which cell is selected.

RTSD

Neo Member
Hi Tech Support GAF, got a confusing one, well confusing for my dumb ass anyway.

Basically, I share a wifi connection with 2 other people, me and my room mate pay the nice woman upstairs who has the router, modem and Tek Savvy service (I live in down town Toronto). Most of the time my computer and my PS4 read something like 79.0Mbps to 50.0Mbps download. However, between roughly 5pm and midnight EST my computer will only read 5.5Mbps, and during this time the PS4 usually reads way lower, like 1.5Mbps or less. Now this happens regardless of whether or not the other 2 people who would be using the network are even home to use it, and to my knowledge Teksavvy has always swore that they never throttle bandwidth.

So Tech GAF I ask you, is my ISP just flat out lying to me?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently playing Overwatch which most people will tell you is super optimized and can be run on a potato so I don't think it's the game but I'm having an issue where I will go from 120fps buttery smooth without a single drop to constantly yo-yoing up and down between 110 - 120fps, it's not normal frame drops though, it's more like micro freezing so the game constantly hitches and it's unplayable, it's like in Dark Souls III when the game pauses for a split second when it autosaves, but constantly. This issue can occur after 5 minutes or 2 hours, it's very random.

The problem I'm having is my PC isn't giving me a single hint as to why:

CPU and GPU loads at around 60%
CPU and GPU temps at around 60 - 70c
Clocks are stable
Event viewer is clear

I've tried:

Format
New thermal paste/clean out
Min/Max settings
Stock/overclocked
Reflashing BIOS

I mean it feels like some sort of hardware failure but my PC isn't suggesting such a thing, but what else could cause constant hitching out of nowhere? You'd think it would always run badly, not absolutely perfect for awhile and then all of sudden go to hell.

Specs:

3570k @ 4.4GHz
GTX 970
8GB DDR3
750w Corsair
SSD
Windows 10

Any help would be great because I'm completely stumped.

Erv

Hopefully someone can help me. I have laptop that no longer works. Doesn't turn on anymore. Is there any way that I can retrieve files off the hard drive. Thanks.

rtcn63

Hopefully someone can help me. I have laptop that no longer works. Doesn't turn on anymore. Is there any way that I can retrieve files off the hard drive. Thanks.

Remove the hard drive, stick it into a USB HDD enclosure (check Amazon or Newegg), plug into another PC. You may have to take ownership of the files.

Chuy

So having some issues with a soundbar I got my mom for mother's day. Bought the Insignia sound bar that went on sale a couple of days ago to try and replace the terrible TV speakers and while they work fantastic for what we want the main issue is that dialogue is extreme quiet and everything else is either perfect volume or extremely loud.
Guessing this has to do with audio options for the TV but I have no idea where to start.

My girlfriend bought a new Dell laptop with a 960M. She was playing Heroes of the Storm for over a month but never brought the laptop over to my place.

Once I finally played on it and noticed that her FPS was too low, so I checked and the Geforce driver was out of date...so I updated it through GeForce Experience.

It worked at first. She was getting 60+ FPS on Medium High settings. Until we restarted the computer...then the real issue started. Her Q, W, E, and R keys sometimes do not respond anymore, but only while in game in HOTS (i.e. if I ALT-tab and open up Chrome, the keyboards works FINE). If I restart the computer and mess around with the drivers I can get it to work again...until I restart again!

So I did a hard reset through Windows 10. Ran all Windows 10 updates, updated the Geforce driver, and installed HOTS. It works fine: 60 FPS on Medium/High with NO keyboard issues. Yet I restart the computer and the QWER problem is back!

I am at my wits end. Any ideas?

My girlfriend bought a new Dell laptop with a 960M. She was playing Heroes of the Storm for over a month but never brought the laptop over to my place.

Once I finally played on it and noticed that her FPS was too low, so I checked and the Geforce driver was out of date...so I updated it through GeForce Experience.

It worked at first. She was getting 60+ FPS on Medium High settings. Until we restarted the computer...then the real issue started. Her Q, W, E, and R keys sometimes do not respond anymore, but only while in game in HOTS (i.e. if I ALT-tab and open up Chrome, the keyboards works FINE). If I restart the computer and mess around with the drivers I can get it to work again...until I restart again!

So I did a hard reset through Windows 10. Ran all Windows 10 updates, updated the Geforce driver, and installed HOTS. It works fine: 60 FPS on Medium/High with NO keyboard issues. Yet I restart the computer and the QWER problem is back!

I am at my wits end. Any ideas?

That sounds weird. What is the exact model of that Dell? Do you have any Dell utilities installed?

I've been having issues with the Windows Explorer on Windows 10. Whenever I try to right click anything, file or folder, the program freezes, complete with the spinning blue circle, until eventually the program manages to close itself. Can anybody help me out?

Its the Dell Inspiron i7559.

After resetting Windows 10, it appears that Dell utilities were re-installed. I have uninstalled all of them. There are now no Dell programs in the uninstall section of the Control Panel.

The problem persists. Some new info:

While playing Heroes of the Storm, the keyboard doesn't respond only while in the game. While in the menu screen, hitting enter allows you to type in chat and the keyboard works fine here. Also, while in game, if I hit enter to chat, it works fine. It is only while PLAYING that this is occurring. It also it not just the QWER keys. If I hit ESC to bring up the menu, it doesn't work 4 out of 5 times!

Thanks for the help. I can answer all questions about Drivers, what I have installed, etc... I can post screenshots of anything, and I am willing to try anything.

Cheers!

Asus touchpad problems.

Specifically, my additional touchpad controls aren't working. Function+F9 doesn't disable the touchpad, and gestures don't work. They used to, and my drivers are up-to-date. So I don't know what happened.

Its the Dell Inspiron i7559.

After resetting Windows 10, it appears that Dell utilities were re-installed. I have uninstalled all of them. There are now no Dell programs in the uninstall section of the Control Panel.

The problem persists. Some new info:

While playing Heroes of the Storm, the keyboard doesn't respond only while in the game. While in the menu screen, hitting enter allows you to type in chat and the keyboard works fine here. Also, while in game, if I hit enter to chat, it works fine. It is only while PLAYING that this is occurring. It also it not just the QWER keys. If I hit ESC to bring up the menu, it doesn't work 4 out of 5 times!

Thanks for the help. I can answer all questions about Drivers, what I have installed, etc... I can post screenshots of anything, and I am willing to try anything.

Cheers!

My initial impression is that this is a bug with the game but let's see if we can do something about it.

First I would like to know some additional info:

What keyboard layout do you have? French? US?
What applications do you have running right now? Anything that utilizes keyboard shortcuts at all?
What is the BIOS version?
How do you update your drivers? Through Dell Update application?

I've been having issues with the Windows Explorer on Windows 10. Whenever I try to right click anything, file or folder, the program freezes, complete with the spinning blue circle, until eventually the program manages to close itself. Can anybody help me out?

Sounds like your system files are corrupted. Try running command prompt as Admin, type sfc/scannow and press Enter.

Run Malwarebytes to scan for Malware as well, preferably in Safe Mode.

Asus touchpad problems.

Specifically, my additional touchpad controls aren't working. Function+F9 doesn't disable the touchpad, and gestures don't work. They used to, and my drivers are up-to-date. So I don't know what happened.

What model exactly? Did anything change from the last time it worked? What OS version? Have you tried reinstalled the touchpad driver? Try re-install older version driver as well.

Sounds like your system files are corrupted. Try running command prompt as Admin, type sfc/scannow and press Enter.

Run Malwarebytes to scan for Malware as well, preferably in Safe Mode.

I tried these two things but both came back with no issues detected. I guess that I should mention that sometimes if I restart the computer, right-clicking in windows explorer doesn't cause the program to crash.

I tried these two things but both came back with no issues detected. I guess that I should mention that sometimes if I restart the computer, right-clicking in windows explorer doesn't cause the program to crash.

Download and run this, in the Option, tick "Hide all Microsoft extensions", you should see a list of items marked in pink.

Try to disable one by one by right-click -> disable selected items. Start with those antispambot, antimalware, antivirus items.

After disabling one, restart, try to test to see if crashing continues, repeat.

What model exactly? Did anything change from the last time it worked? What OS version? Have you tried reinstalled the touchpad driver? Try re-install older version driver as well.

I think the model is X502C? It's Windows 10. I've done several driver installs (old ones, update, delete them and reinstall) but it's still not quite working. I'm not sure what changed.

Download and run this, in the Option, tick "Hide all Microsoft extensions", you should see a list of items marked in pink.

Try to disable one by one by right-click -> disable selected items. Start with those antispambot, antimalware, antivirus items.

After disabling one, restart, try to test to see if crashing continues, repeat.

Thanks for the help, this looks really promising! I'll give it a go.

Persona7

Banned
Ok, I feel like an idiot, because I know I've done this before and I don't know what to do now. I have a Ubee cable modem <Time Warner> that provides wireless, and a Buffalo WHR-G125 that is hooked up as a router with my PS4, WiiU and PC hooked up through powerline ethernet adapter. The Ubee can pick up all my wireless connections just fine, e.g. phone, printer 3ds etc, but when I go into my game room and log into my PC, I am unable to see any of my wireless devices in Windows 10. I would like to be able to print remotely. I can see the devices when I look at the Ubee's list of devices, and I have puropsely deactivated the wireless on the Buffalo as that was causing some issue with the ubee's wireless. What is the proper process to get this set up? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Disable DHCP and set a static IP on your buffalo router. Sounds like double NAT might be causing issues?

undrtakr900

Tech-Gaf, please help me find an 8" tablet.

(I hate that I can't look at website reviews because many of them are just paid & fake.)

Anyways it's a gift for a good friend, she researched and found the: HP Stream 8, but all the ones I can find are either used/refurbished.

Are there any other quality 8" tablets under $100? I've been looking all over but can't find one.

Thanks.

(eDit: It's for a casual user, so it doesn't need the latest specs for gaming)

emb

I might as well post here in case anyone can offer something to try:

A relative's keyboard in laptop stopped working.
- Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite
- Recently upgrading to Windows 10
- Was fine for a few weeks
- Keyboard shows up in Device Manager as standard PS/2

What I've tried so far
- Making sure filter keys is disabled
- Make sure tablet mode is disabled
- Uninstalling the Standard PS/2 item in device manager under Keyboards, restarted
- Run Malware Bytes, remove malware, restart
- Verified that a usb keyboard works fine

Weirdly, for a while, I was able to get it to type 'f' by holding the f key and pressing h. o_0

At this point I'm thinking it might just be a hardware failure. If there are any other trouble shooting ideas you all can offer, please let me know.

What is a graphic driver and why should I download it? Do I need to? What does it do?

If you have a graphics card and you want to play games, you should get the latest drivers, because newer drivers add game specific performance tweaks and advanced features. If you don't have gaming targeted hardware and a modern Windows install, the official drivers gets installed eventually anyway so you don't need to worry about it unless you are having problems with your current drivers.

At this point I'm thinking it might just be a hardware failure. If there are any other trouble shooting ideas you all can offer, please let me know.

Does the keyboard work in BIOS? If no, then you probably need to open up the laptop and see if everything is alright with the internal connection between the keyboard and the motherboard, as that is the most likely place it would fail. How difficult that is to check is entirely dependent on the type of laptop. On some it is very easy, others you need to pull out the motherboard which can be a giant hassle.

So I think my Seagate drive is dead. Yeah, I knew I shouldn't have bought it.

Suddenly some files wouldn't load and then I heard the needle spinning loudly. After a restart the drive doesn't even appear.

Ugh. Why.
This is typical behavior for hard drive failure. Not too much you can do. 4 years isn't an unreasonable short time for a mechanical drive to last. It's on the short end by all means, but this is why you need backups.

velociraptor

Require some major help; would be really grateful for any assistance.

My dad's Dell Laptop is acting like crap. It came with Windows 8 but it was upgraded to Win 10 using the free upgrade scheme.

Now the performance is awful, so I decided a fresh reinstall would be the way to go.

However, I DO NOT want any Dell/preinstalled software on the laptop. I want this to be a clean installation.

But I have no idea how I should go about doing this. I don't have a Windows 10 product key. How do I perform a clean reboot of the laptop without messing up the licensing?

But I have no idea how I should go about doing this. I don't have a Windows 10 product key. How do I perform a clean reboot of the laptop without messing up the licensing?

If you want to do a fresh W10 reinstall, go to Settings -> update and security-> recovery -> Reset this PC

This will be basically the same as a fresh reinstall.

If you want to reinstall Windows 8, there should be a CD key on a sticker at the bottom of the PC or behind the battery. You can request W8 install media from Dell if you don't have it (or there is a software called Dell Backup and Recovery that should be able to make a recovery disk as far as I can tell). Official Dell install media also shouldn't need a CD key to work, since the license is stored in the motherboard.

GutsOfThor

I have a 7-8 year old desktop that suddenly won't turn on. I took it to another room and it turned on without issue. I then took it back to my room and tried turning it on to no success. I tried different power outlets in my room and nothing...

I tried a different power cord and still nothing.

Any ideas? It has worked fine until now.

I have a 7-8 year old desktop that suddenly won't turn on. I took it to another room and it turned on without issue. I then took it back to my room and tried turning it on to no success. I tried different power outlets in my room and nothing...

What happens when you try to turn it on in your room? Also, I need to ask the stupid question, but did you try to power other stuff in your room's outlets?

Sell it, it's haunted.
(the house) j/k

Did you try a multimeter to check your outlets? ...seems like it might not be the desktop, maybe your wiring?
WARNING: maybe seek a professional if you don't know anything about safety precautions when checking electrical. Don't fry yourself.

GutsOfThor

What happens when you try to turn it on in your room? Also, I need to ask the stupid question, but did you try to power other stuff in your room's outlets?

I have a monitor, speakers and an external hdd all hooked up to the power supply that the pc is hooked up to and they function fine.

Did you try a multimeter to check your outlets? ...seems like it might not be the desktop, maybe your wiring?
WARNING: maybe seek a professional if you don't know anything about safety precautions when checking electrical. Don't fry yourself.

Thinking about doing this. My uncle is an electrician so I'll ask him to come check.

Hi all,

First time posting in this thread, hopefully this is the right place and hopefully I can get some help.

So, I just got a Dell XPS 15, and aside from the microscopic keyboard, I really love it. Except that scrolling causes really severe ghosting and blur. After just a few minutes on forums or reading news, it gives me a headache. It's really ruining the computer for me because it's supposed to have such a high quality display. :(

Is there an easy fix for this? Is this a common problem? I use Google Chrome, Windows 10, 1080p screen. When I Google it, I get lots of ancient results with no solutions. I can't seem to find anything current.

But it's really bad. I can't stand the blur. If I can't fix it, I'll probably return the laptop. Why is this happening?

velociraptor

If you want to do a fresh W10 reinstall, go to Settings -> update and security-> recovery -> Reset this PC

This will be basically the same as a fresh reinstall.

If you want to reinstall Windows 8, there should be a CD key on a sticker at the bottom of the PC or behind the battery. You can request W8 install media from Dell if you don't have it (or there is a software called Dell Backup and Recovery that should be able to make a recovery disk as far as I can tell). Official Dell install media also shouldn't need a CD key to work, since the license is stored in the motherboard.

That's pretty sweet - can't believe it worked too. That's a lot simpler than having to get an ISO on a USB/DVD etc.

My pc kills itself sometimes when I wake it up from sleep. I've had this issue with my pc since I bought it, I've changed RAM since I've built it so it's definitely not that.It also isn't the overclocking since it happened on stock speeds. Anyways here's my current build:
Gigabyte Z87-HD3 motherboard
i5 4670k processor
Corsair cx600 power supply
(2x4GB)8GB CL9 Kingston HyperX Ram
Zalman Z11 Plus case with extra fans(I think these were corsair)
No graphics cards atm.
I'm guessing it's something in Windows or BIOS , but it persists through clean installs & I had it on Windows 8 (on 10 now).

Thanks if you can shed any light on this.

So Windows 10 is convinced that a program I wrote is a virus. I know it's wrong because, well, I wrote the program.

How do I add it to the exception list? Whenever I select my program in the file picker in Windows Defender, it instantly gets deleted for being a virus.

Mozendo

So my crappy ISP is being wonky again windows network diagnostics tells me its a DNS server issue so I changed it to the Google one and nothing really changed. It went from can't connect to primary DNS to the DNS server isn't responding. Anything else I can do?

Top Bottom