• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Jyrii

Banned
Does anyone have any ideas why fresh install of Windows 7 stops getting updates after SP1 update?

If I open Windows update, it states "check for updates" and if I'll press ok, it'll just stay in checking for updates forever.

I have tried disabling Avast, using MS fixit, wsusoffline UpdateGenerator and even running safe mode, but nothing seems to do anything. I have had this problem before after fresh install, but I think either fixit or UpdateGenerator fixed the issue last time.

Windows has been activated, so that isn't the cause.

Sometimes it will literally take hours for it to compile the list of updates. It's usually hard to diagnose Windows Update problems because it doesn't tell you anything about what it is actually having problems with. Does it use CPU while checking for updates?

Jyrii

Banned
I don't even see Windows update at the processes, so I guess not. It is shown as running at the applications though. Guess. I'll leave it open till I go to sleep to see if there is any difference.

Koren

Does anyone have any ideas why fresh install of Windows 7 stops getting updates after SP1 update?

If I open Windows update, it states "check for updates" and if I'll press ok, it'll just stay in checking for updates forever.
Well, maybe... just wait.

But really, really wait.

I had the very same issue yesterday, with a Vista (genuine, registered) that I discovered had never installed SP2, although it's 7 years old, and hundreds of updates have been installed since. And I needed SP2 for a new printer.

So I went into update and pressed "checked for updates". The computer apparently was stuck, for half an hour, but after a looong time, it found some updates. Then I tried to install them. Again, apparently stucked at 0% for half an hour, but suddently, it works. Then a reboot, and start again for the next ones.

3-4 hours later and a couple or reboot, miracle happened and SP2 was installed.

So, maybe it's not really "frozen".

Maybe...

I don't even see Windows update at the processes, so I guess not. It is shown as running at the applications though. Guess. I'll leave it open till I go to sleep to see if there is any difference.

Hard to tell in that case. When it is working but just taking a really long time, there is usually some CPU use (usually svchost or some other generic windows service rather than Windows Update I think)

Koren

Hard to tell in that case. When it is working but just taking a really long time, there is usually some CPU use (usually svchost or some other generic windows service rather than Windows Update I think)
Not in my case yesterday... No CPU usage, no network usage, not even RAM changes.

Granted, it was Vista, not Seven, but I still don't understand why it apparently kept "stalling" for so long.

So, maybe it's not really "frozen".

Maybe...

You can try this:
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574

It is supposed to be a rollup of all post SP1 windows 7 updates. You have to visit it from Internet Explorer only.

No one has thoughts on my modem to router problem?

Can't say that I have any good ideas. You seem to have done everything as it should be, so unless there is some weird settings you have overlooked it should work. Only thing you could try is to connect it directly to a computer instead of you router to see if it is the router or the modem that is the problem.

Modem is definitely working, I put it back into gateway mode and am using it for now

Would the newer modem just be incompatible with the router? Can that happen?

Koren

I have a huge battery problem with Windows 7.

My last battery died after ~4 years, that's correct. I bought a new one.

It worked perfectly for a couple months, but I got strange % reported. Even full cycle don't update the measurements.

A couple weeks ago, I got the "dying battery message", except it's not dying. I'm still getting a normal time with the battery. It was staying at 100% most of the time, then drop quickly to 0 in a couple of minutes. Definitively not great.

But now, it's worse. powercfg -energy report a "last full charge 0 mWh". Battery level is stuck at 0% permanently. I may still have an close-to-normal battery life, but I suspect I'll have a sudden power-off when I ran out, now.

Is this a battery issue, a laptop issue, or a windows issue?

zbarron

I have a problem that just started this morning.

Specs:
Windows 10 64 bit
MSI Z87 G45 Gaming Mainboard
i7 4770k
8GB DDR3 Corsair RAM 1600
Nvidia GTX 670
Antec BP550 Plus

It started with my video card not showing up on my main monitor and only on my secondary. I went to Device Manager and it said the device stopped since there was a problem (Error 43). I restarted into safe mode and uninstalled all Nvidia drivers with DDU. I also started a fresh install of Windows 10 64-bit. I tried several attempts to install the most recent and older Nvidia drivers and all were met with my screen turning off and the GPU fan kicking into high gear. Now the PC will do that randomly even moments after I start the PC. It's not doing it in games or anything taxing. Currently I have the graphics card removed and am running off integrated Intel 4600 for video and sound. My best guess at this point is either my GPU is fried or my power supply which I got 8 years ago can no longer give juice to power the graphics card. Any thoughts? Anyone have this happen to them?

velociraptor

none of my windows apps are working or opening

this is a brand new windows 10 install too.
irypDJR.png

this is what happens when i click. help?

Bacchuster

Neo Member
Hey all, I am having some issues with my graphics card and I was curious if anyone could give me advice. I have an Acer Aspire v3 laptop with:

Intel i5-3230m @ 2.60GHz
6GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Nvidia Geforce 730m
Windows 10 64-bit

Just recently, my Nvidia card has ceased working and I am receiving a code 43 on the device manager. I have tried changing the drivers, reverting to windows 8, a factory reset of my computer, and waiting for a new driver set to see if it corrected the problem. No luck with any of them.

Any ideas? I am not incredibly technically savvy so I very well may have missed something.

Thanks in advance.

Jyrii

Banned

kamakazi5

Ok so i'm having some issues connecting both of the PCs in my house to the internet using ethernet (wifi works flawlessly). It seems that nearly every day or so when I want to use ethernet, it will not connect unless I completely restart my modem and router (sometimes 5-10 times). Then, even if I connect it but unplug the cable and plug it right back in, it forces me to restart everything.

I've tried several things from the internet like the ipconfig renew/release, resetting the TCP/IP stack?, I've tried bypassing the router and connecting straight to the modem and it is the same thing. Even if I get it working, it never stays for more than a day, or a computer restart.

It doesn't really effect me because I can connect my PC to wifi and move on but my wife has a work PC that she has to use through ethernet and it is causing tons of issues with her working. Unfortunately, their IT doesn't seem to know what to do and the only thing they say is to just restart everything until it works again which can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes. Any ideas would be appreciated.

lustrate

This is a question aimed at IT professionals:

In your opinion, what's the best way to host a significant amount of multimedia data (100+ TBs) locally? ZFS, proprietary solution, something else?

velociraptor

Oh jeez. Got a massssive problem.

My PC won't turn on at all. I was downloading 3D Mark and then went to click to download PC Mark as well. All of a sudden, PC shuts off.

I tried pressing the power button, nothing is happening. I opened the PC case and I see the green MOBO light is on. What could be the problem?

Is the PSU busted? Mobo failure? Dead CPU?

Just to note I had OC my PC earlier today and it was at 4.4 Ghz. I ran Prime95 and it did fine.

StoneFox

I am noob at using GPUs and what is considered normal.

I have a 980ti hybrid and I was playing The Witcher 2 when I noticed my card's fan running the fastest I've ever heard it. I checked its temps and it was close to 80c.

Is this normal temps under load? I also live in Arizona and don't run my AC as much as I should so maybe it's just my hot room? I mean, it's only 81 degrees outside at midnight, but I guess my room is hotter than that :V I closed the game about 20 minutes ago and it's down to 50c.

My system temp is at 31c and it never really moves from there. So I dunno...

Using Microsoft Access to make a database. I made a field for information that should be specific to each record but whenever I put anything in it, it carries over to every single record in the entire database. The text in each field should be unique for each and every record.

How do I fix this?

Steel

Banned
So, I have an interesting problem. I got a new monitor with gsync, an AOC g2460pg(gsync monitor) because my old second monitor broke. I've never used the displayport slot on my EVGA GTX 970 before and this monitor's only got a displayport. I plug it in, install the driver from the disc, restart and... No Signal.

So, my primary monitor that's connected via HDMI is still working, and I've multi-monitored before, but nonetheless I have the idea to disconnect my primary monitor to see what that does as I restart. Oddly enough, my new monitor displays the bios start-up screen, but once it transfers to windows it goes no signal again. I repeat the process with my primary unplugged and once again it displays bios and then goes blank. So I try again with my primary plugged in, restart and it's back to not displaying anything at any point.

I've been through a couple of hours of google and I can't find a case with this specific and I've had no luck. There were a few, old cases that I tried the fixes for(unplugging and waiting for a minute, minor nvidia control panel tweaks and not much else), but no dice.

Obviously my actual connection's fine, or it wouldn't even display during the bios boot-up. I can't figure out what's wrong here.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Ongoing issue here, about to throw my PC in the bin. Basically I get intermittent hitching and frame rate loss in all my games, everything will be working perfectly until it's not, it's like thermal throttling but all my temps are fine. I'm thinking it's the PSU possibly failing, has anyone experienced intermittent performance issues due to a dying PSU? I have tested all my hardware which I can test with no errors. Prime95 12 hours, Heaven 12 hours, Memtest 28 hours, HDD Tune full health check.

3570k, GTX 970, 8GB DDR3, SSD, Win10

I've formatted so it's not software related.

EDIT: The PC just hard froze with no error message while simply browsing and I had to turn it off with the power button.

velociraptor

PC doesn't power on when the 8 pin CPU cable is in the mobo. I may press the power button 100s of times but nada, doesn't work.

When I disconnect the 8 pin CPU cable from the MOBO, PC powers on, and all fans are switched on.

What could be the problem?

I'm hoping the PSU is borked as that is more easily replaced but I honestly am scared the CPU or mobo is gone, and I really don't have the money to buy a new CPU and or mobo.

Steel

Banned
So, I have an interesting problem. I got a new monitor with gsync, an AOC g2460pg(gsync monitor) because my old second monitor broke. I've never used the displayport slot on my EVGA GTX 970 before and this monitor's only got a displayport. I plug it in, install the driver from the disc, restart and... No Signal.

So, my primary monitor that's connected via HDMI is still working, and I've multi-monitored before, but nonetheless I have the idea to disconnect my primary monitor to see what that does as I restart. Oddly enough, my new monitor displays the bios start-up screen, but once it transfers to windows it goes no signal again. I repeat the process with my primary unplugged and once again it displays bios and then goes blank. So I try again with my primary plugged in, restart and it's back to not displaying anything at any point.

I've been through a couple of hours of google and I can't find a case with this specific and I've had no luck. There were a few, old cases that I tried the fixes for(unplugging and waiting for a minute, minor nvidia control panel tweaks and not much else), but no dice.

Obviously my actual connection's fine, or it wouldn't even display during the bios boot-up. I can't figure out what's wrong here.

To add to this:

So I tried booting to safemode(which is a pain on windows 10) and it booted to my primary monitor, without the secondary displaying a thing. Going off a hunch, I unplugged my primary and booted to safemode from memory without a screen and the secondary monitor still connected and... It worked. The monitor displays everything.

Only problem is, that it still doesn't work outside of safemode. Is it a problem with the drivers? I wonder if this monitor is fucked for windows 10.

mstevens

Damn - I've never seen this thread before and I just posted a thread about this right before I noticed it...

I've always had an issue with dropped connections (usually enough to boot me from an online game or PSN, not a drop like the router has to completely start the connection from scratch.) For example.. I get kicked out of probably one in three Overwatch games from disconnection, but then I can just click X and my internet is fine.

A couple months ago I decided to finally do something about it.

My first troubleshoot was to get rid of the crappy modem/router combo I was renting from comcast. I've been in a few living situation the past few years where this wasn't really avoidable, but now was the time. I upgraded my internet speed to 75 mb then went out and bought a motorola ARRIS surfboard and a netgear R7000 router. Hooked these bad boys up and the problem continued.

Then I read online that certain ports had to be opened up. Tried that, no avail. Next I tried going ethernet cable from the router to the ps4, bypassing wifi completely. That didn't help either. I messed with WAN settings, QoS setup, set NAT to open, set NAT to closed. Tried pretty much everything I read about online..... Still no dice.

I'm almost positive it is my router set up because I plugged directly into the modem for a few hours and everything was fine (although that is a small sample size and I've found that success with the router as well, although rarely).

The problem is that it is making me absolutely hate online games. I love Overwatch so far, but the cloud of "am I going to get disconnected in the next 10 seconds before we cap this win...... NOOOOO" hanging over me every single game is awful.

Can anyone relate to this or give any advice? Hell, if someone has a netgear R7000 purring like a kitten I'll just copy your settings. I want to be able to enjoy my games without that outside stress.

_BtB_

I have a D-Link DIR-632 router and just got a new modem from the cable company, I put the modem into bridge mode, connected the modem to the WAN port on the router as usual but get no internet connection at all? It is a Hitron CGN3 modem from Rogers in Canada

Any ideas?

did you refresh the internet adapter to obtain a new ip from the d-link router? if not you can just restart computer if you have not already should detect new ip. otherwise I have no idea. :(

@mstevens

faulty ethernet cable?I bought 5 cheap 20ft ethernet cables from amazon and it turned out they were shit. they were dropping 4% of the packets and when I replaced with monoprice cables things got better no packet loss. I was also experiencing something called bufferbloat, Try see if you have quality issues and bufferbloat by taking this speed test http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
does anyone know an app for internet radio that can automatically start playing when the app starts?

edit: nvm, tunein does the trick.

Jams775

Just got a laptop with an i5 and a 960m.

Occasionally the Intel graphics driver crashes and restarts.
In the bios, the integrated graphics setting for the dedicated ram is set to 32MB. I can increase this up to 512. Would increasing that do anything? The computer runs fine in games and never crashes there (when switched to 960m). Just randomly when web browsing or whatever. I checked to see if I could update the drivers but it doesn't seem so.

Edit: Also I got a Razer Orochi Chroma to use with it and it connects via bluetooth fine, but when it goes to sleep, it doesn't come back up unless I use the trackpad to disable and reenable bluetooth while wiggling the mouse.

Edit 2: fixed both problems by updating integrated graphics drivers from Intel's website. Needed new Bluetooth ones too.

I was under the assumption that I'd have to get the outdated drivers from the laptop vender site. But didn't have too.

I upgraded my desktop PC's video card (EVGA GTX 1080) and monitor (1440p 144Hz G-Sync). Both drivers are up to date. In certain applications, I see black and white lines flickering. In Counter Strike: GO, it happens pretty randomly while in a game (not on the main menu). In Civilization V, it gets really bad as soon as I get to the main menu. In Rocket League and Risk of Rain, it doesn't happen at all. When I'm not using a full screen application or game, everything seems fine.

Because it's happening only with certain applications, I'm thinking it has to do with the video card settings in the Geforce control panel, or perhaps the in-game settings. I'll do some more testing with other games, but in the meantime, any advice? I'll provide more information if necessary.

Edit: I played Civ V for about 20 minutes in windowed mode with no flickering. Seems to be just certain full screen applications.

Edit 2: I saw in the Nvidia Control Panel that G-sync was only enabled for full screen applications, so I set it to use G-sync for both full screen and windowed applications, but no change. The flickering still only occurs in certain full screen applications.

Edit: Fixed. For anyone who's curious, Nvidia released a hotfix (368.51). I installed it and the issue appears to be gone.

Slaythe

Hello guys.

I have a nasty issue that is so random it's hard to fix.

Basically, I have a capture card, that works on usb 3.0 .

It was fine for months.

Now, randomly, it will freeze until i relaunch the capture software.

If i relaunch it within the second, it works fine again.

I am almost certain that the capture card hardware is not at fault, because it has several diagnostic tools that don't indicate any issue.

I also have an external hard drive in 3.0, and I might have noticed a similar issue, except that it's so fast (let's say 0.2 seconds disconnection) that it doesn't trigger an actual disconnection.

It can micro stutter games or fail to save, but that's the most it does.

It is entirely random, can take 5 hours or 5 minutes.

I'm gonna try to install a fresh Windows 10 to see if a driver/software issue might be responsible.

In case it's neither software nor the capture card hardware, and it would be related to 3.0 being "faulty" for a split second and without notifying me it died, what could I look into to fix this ?

Is it a motherboard issue ? Cable issue ? Connection itself ?

Thank you !

I got a i5 750 (2.66 GHz) and there's something that's kinda driving me crazy, and I dunno if it's supposed to do this or not.

Basically, my CPU usage in the Task Manager never goes above 46%. Doesn't matter what I'm running.

I'm trying to run Overwatch and it only shows a maximum of get1.20 GHz. Even at the lowest game settings/resolution I can't get more than 20 - 30 fps. Does this sound normal? It's weird, since I could run the game at 45+ fps for one session, but couldn't achieve the same results again. My GPU is fine for the game (GTX 960).

thematic

hi

i've been having these weird problem

my GPU is from Zotac, and it features Mini HDMI, DVI-D and DVI-I
since i'm using HDMI monitors, i'm using converters from each of that output

here's my current problem :
my PC can't output any images except from DVI-I (i convert it to HDMI or DSUB)
other output won't give any images. i don't know when this problem starts but a few months ago i can still output at least to 2 monitors

i tried :
1. borrowed GT 730 from my workplace, put it in my PC = all ports work OK
2. move my GTX 750 to another PCIEx16 = still having problems
3. put my GTX 750 to my office PC = all ports work OK
4. tried all my converter with GT 730 = all working fine
5. install latest drivers on my PC and office PC = made no difference
6. REINSTALL Windows also made no difference

i don't think this is drivers problem though. in BIOS, the output also didn't work. only DVI-I output shows images.
when using DVI-I (show image) and DVI-D (no signal), Windows loading animation "hang" for a about 10 seconds.
when using DVI-I (show image) and Mini HDMI, my PC sometimes won't POST and restart itself like when BIOS setting gone wrong

originally, i posted on GeForce forum a few hours ago, but suddenly all my posts were marked "hidden". dunno why.
here is the link if anyone can see the posts : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/944171/pc-components/gtx-750-ti-only-1-output-work/

now i'm at loss here
anyone ever heard of these weird problem?
any input/suggestions appreciated

Thank You

I got a i5 750 (2.66 GHz) and there's something that's kinda driving me crazy, and I dunno if it's supposed to do this or not.

Basically, my CPU usage in the Task Manager never goes above 46%. Doesn't matter what I'm running.

I'm trying to run Overwatch and it only shows a maximum of get1.20 GHz. Even at the lowest game settings/resolution I can't get more than 20 - 30 fps. Does this sound normal? It's weird, since I could run the game at 45+ fps for one session, but couldn't achieve the same results again. My GPU is fine for the game (GTX 960).

You need to find out what your CPU temperatures are. This might be thermal throttling.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hi

i've been having these weird problem

my GPU is from Zotac, and it features Mini HDMI, DVI-D and DVI-I
since i'm using HDMI monitors, i'm using converters from each of that output

here's my current problem :
my PC can't output any images except from DVI-I (i convert it to HDMI or DSUB)
other output won't give any images. i don't know when this problem starts but a few months ago i can still output at least to 2 monitors

i tried :
1. borrowed GT 730 from my workplace, put it in my PC = all ports work OK
2. move my GTX 750 to another PCIEx16 = still having problems
3. put my GTX 750 to my office PC = all ports work OK
4. tried all my converter with GT 730 = all working fine
5. install latest drivers on my PC and office PC = made no difference
6. REINSTALL Windows also made no difference

i don't think this is drivers problem though. in BIOS, the output also didn't work. only DVI-I output shows images.
when using DVI-I (show image) and DVI-D (no signal), Windows loading animation "hang" for a about 10 seconds.
when using DVI-I (show image) and Mini HDMI, my PC sometimes won't POST and restart itself like when BIOS setting gone wrong

originally, i posted on GeForce forum a few hours ago, but suddenly all my posts were marked "hidden". dunno why.
here is the link if anyone can see the posts : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/944171/pc-components/gtx-750-ti-only-1-output-work/

now i'm at loss here
anyone ever heard of these weird problem?
any input/suggestions appreciated

Thank You
Weird, so just that gpu on just that motherboard, but all other combinations work ok.

Is the DVI output you can get working something you tried connecting to different monitors and they all work?

Not even POSTing when HDMI is hooked up seems like it would point to a hardware problem with the mobo...

Quick

Banned
I'm trying to figure out a way to get wired internet to my basement, and a powerline adapter seems to be the least difficult method compared to trying to run cables through the walls or something.

I want to connect a few devices to a wired connection in the basement, and was thinking of getting a second router to do this. Basically:

Modem > Wireless Router > Powerline on main floor > Powerline on basement > router > devices

How feasible is this, or am I just missing an even easier method here?

thematic

Weird, so just that gpu on just that motherboard, but all other combinations work ok.

Is the DVI output you can get working something you tried connecting to different monitors and they all work?

Not even POSTing when HDMI is hooked up seems like it would point to a hardware problem with the mobo...

yes, all monitors works fine via HDMI, except my Samsung HDTV which I used everyday with HDMI before, but stopped working one day. since then, I only use RGB/DSUB to that particular TV

I actually made a thread at GeForce forum 10 months ago about my sudden HDTV problem (my post won't show up but someone quoted my original post)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ith-windows-10-driver-hdmi-no-signal/#4638896

it seems like there's a weird incompatibility between my mobo and GPU which suddenly happened one day. I'm sure it worked okay because I used to work with 2 monitors before.

I thought about my mobo were the problem, that's why I'm borrowing my office's GPU. but it works fine.
and my GPU also works okay at my office.

LuffyZoro

So recently I've been noticing games running slow. I have an R9 290, 8 GB of RAM, and a i5 4570, so I should generally be able to play at good settings, right? I ran 3DMark and got a really low score, like 3,000.

I took apart my PC, reseated the RAM and GPU (along with some much needed cable management), ran it again, and got 7,547. That's clearly an improvement, but looking at other people's scores I should apparently be getting in the 12,000 range. The only information 3DMark gives me is a warning saying my gaphics driver is not approved, but according to Radeon settings I have the newest non-beta driver available.

It's not as urgent now, since it seems like I can currently run Overwatch on Ultra when before I couldn't even manage low, but if I'm not getting all of the performance I should I want to be able to fix it.

So recently I've been noticing games running slow. I have an R9 290, 8 GB of RAM, and a i5 4570, so I should generally be able to play at good settings, right? I ran 3DMark and got a really low score, like 3,000.

I took apart my PC, reseated the RAM and GPU (along with some much needed cable management), ran it again, and got 7,547. That's clearly an improvement, but looking at other people's scores I should apparently be getting in the 12,000 range. The only information 3DMark gives me is a warning saying my gaphics driver is not approved, but according to Radeon settings I have the newest non-beta driver available.

It's not as urgent now, since it seems like I can currently run Overwatch on Ultra when before I couldn't even manage low, but if I'm not getting all of the performance I should I want to be able to fix it.

Can you post the 3DMark results?

In my experience, the two most common causes of this issue are:

1) A specific hardware component is being overutilized by some program running
in the background.

2) A specific hardware component is not being utilized to it's full potential.

The first step in determining whether it's scenario 1 or scenario 2 is to run 3DMark while recording a log or graph of hardware utilization; CPU, Hard Disk, Memory, and GPU. If a specific piece of hardware is consistently pinned at 100% then it's probably scenario 1. If no components were never fully utilized then it's it's more likely scenario 2.

Once you figure out if you're encountering scenario 1 or scenario 2 you can investigate the issue accordingly to explain the behavior you're encountering.

LuffyZoro

Can you post the 3DMark results?

In my experience, the two most common causes of this issue are:

1) A specific hardware component is being overutilized by some program running
in the background.

2) A specific hardware component is not being utilized to it's full potential.

The first step in determining whether it's scenario 1 or scenario 2 is to run 3DMark while recording a log or graph of hardware utilization; CPU, Hard Disk, Memory, and GPU. If a specific piece of hardware is consistently pinned at 100% then it's probably scenario 1. If no components were never fully utilized then it's it's more likely scenario 2.

Once you figure out if you're encountering scenario 1 or scenario 2 you can investigate the issue accordingly to explain the behavior you're encountering.

This is the most recent test I ran: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12565188?

When I looked at the GPU usage graph at first, I was seeing spikes up to 100% and then back down to 0 every few seconds under no load. I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers and am not seeing that anymore, but the score is about the same. When running the test, my GPU load is at 100% for all of it except for the CPU portion, where my CPU is at 100%.

Persona7

Banned
I'm trying to figure out a way to get wired internet to my basement, and a powerline adapter seems to be the least difficult method compared to trying to run cables through the walls or something.

I want to connect a few devices to a wired connection in the basement, and was thinking of getting a second router to do this. Basically:

Modem > Wireless Router > Powerline on main floor > Powerline on basement > router > devices

How feasible is this, or am I just missing an even easier method here?

This is relatively simple to implement. You need to create a static IP and disable DHCP so you don't have issues with double NAT. You also want to create a LAN to LAN network so the WAN port on your second router should not be used. For the IP address let's say your main router is on 192.168.1.1. The second router can be on 192.168.1.2.

http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/

Gartooth

Having tons of PC problems that suddenly came up today. Its running Windows 10 Home and was built 6 months ago. Here's a rough order of events on what happened:

-- Chrome starts loading pages very slowly. However internet access is fine. (I'm on Firefox right now)

-- I then get an error about Windows not being able to connect to the group policy service. This shows up when rebooting the computer, and my reboots seem to take longer than before.

-- I have been trying to open regedit, task manager, and services but none of them will open. Windows will give an error that they didn't respond in time.

-- Trying to do an install is also impossible right now. I tried to update my nVidia drivers but the install got stuck. I'm just glad that it managed to stop rather than me having to restart my computer.

-- After 20 minutes Chrome finally opens up for me.

The only thing I could possibly that think that caused this problem is either something getting changed in my registry, or an issue with my Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Its hard to fix the problem myself when I can't work with the OS, so I'm really hoping I won't need to back everything up and reinstall Windows.

I have had an issue like this with Chrome months ago which basically required completely uninstalling and re-installing it. What worries me a lot though is just how slow the general OS is where I can't even open task manager.

krae_man

I got a new wireless router and I'm experiencing a problem.

Whenever I download something on my PS3 or PS4 it uses every single bit of my download speed(my connection is 18mbit/s and eyeballing it my downloads go up 2MB per second give or take) and will not allow anything else to connect. EG I can't even get a webpage to load on my PC when it's download something.

However, if say I was watching a youtube video on my PC when the PS4 download started, the video will continue to play fine and the PS4 download will use the rest of the remaining bandwidth.

So somehow this router doesn't automatically go "hey someone else want's on, I better slow that PS4 download down".

Is there any way to fix this?

Gartooth

So I got all my issues taken care of. I never figured out what the problem was, as all the Windows services basically stopped working. I think Firefox and file explorer were the only things that worked. I couldn't do anything like a restore point or resetting my PC.

This is basically how I fixed it: Call Microsoft Support! :D

Had a very good customer service experience tonight! What I ended up doing was getting help to go into my motherboard's boot settings to switch to my Blu-Ray drive on primary boot up, then inserting my Windows 10 install disc. From there I was given help to try using the restore point feature on my hard drive from the disc. After that things were pretty simple and now my PC is back and running from a version of 5 days ago.

Other advice which I was given and gladly took was using my spare hard-drive to make a backup of everything as well as making frequent restore points in case an issue like this resurfaces. Aside from having to reinstall my anti-virus, everything worked following the restore. Thank god for cloud saves since I was worried I would lose my save data on Doom and Overwatch. Here's hoping this doesn't happen again!

Top Bottom