• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

jdogmoney

jdogmoney said:
My laptop screen broke. I'm using a CRT monitor to be able to use my computer, and it was working great until about twenty minutes ago. It just...stopped, and the light on the monitor went from green to yellow, like my laptop was asleep, when it wasn't. I tried unplugging the cable and a "Please check your cable" message, so I don't think it's the monitor.

I rebooted to safe mode (with networking) and the monitor works, no problem. I tried normal mode and it didn't work. I tried safe mode again and it works again, so here I am.

To reiterate, when I turn on my laptop, I can see the Vista logo thing, but when it gets to the screen where I select my profile the monitor no longer works.

Also, I'm on Vista Home Premium, if that makes any difference.

[Sorry to double post, but I use my laptop as an alarm, and I can't use the speakers in safe mode, so I really hope I can figure this out tonight...]

EDIT: Never mind, I'm brilliant. The FN + f4 thing wasn't working, but only because I was still on the start-up screen. I blindly pressed tab, enter, then put in my password, and enter again. It worked! Once I logged in, FN + f4 worked like a charm. Thanks, NH Apache!

forrest

formerly nacire
I have a wireless microsoft mouse I use in conjunction with my Gateway laptop. I just upgraded vista and now I'm getting a driver error in the device manager. Says the driver cannot be loaded due to it being corrupt or missing (code 39). I've updated the driver, deleted reinstalled the driver, etc.

I believe it to be a registry error, but have no clue as to how to repair it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm using Vista 32 bit completely updated. Thanks.

youtube has completely stopped working on my iphone
its a launch model 8 gb in case your wondering
i'll take a pic and post it here later but idk why it stopped working, it always says "cannot connect to youtube" when i try to use it, everything else works like safari, pandora, etc jsut youtube is messed up

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have a couple of laptops of the same specs, but one runs SC2 relatively well while the other chugs. They both have the same processor, same video card and same amount of RAM. Strangely, the problem laptop is on Windows 7 while the other one is on Vista. I'm just trying to diagnose the problem laptop to see if it's something I can fix but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of where I should start?

At the moment I'm just trying to run a defrag to see if it might be the HDD... 8 hours later, it's on pass 16 and still chugging along, so I don't know if I should just clone my hard drive and wipe it or something.

xrich

Banned
Baconbitz said:
Since HP doesn't have drivers for Win 7 for the scanner is there a place I can get custom ones?

you can try installing the vista drivers. just run it in vista compatibility mode

Would really appreciate the help:

Dell Inspiron 530 (Win7, Core2Duo, 8600GT) was working fine up until this evening. Now, when I press the power but on, it seems to power up, then goes off, then turns on again, posts, boots up (hard drive activity normal etc.) - but no video signal.

I have neither another video card or monitor to test it if they're at fault, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has had a problem like this.

Barrett2

Help. On Friday my netbook got some spyware. I ran Malwarebytes and that fixed the problem. However, I am now only able to access the internet on the netbook via Firefox. It won't connect if I open Chrome, IE, or even iTunes. I have no idea what's going on.

cazosozey

somuchwater said:
Would really appreciate the help:

Dell Inspiron 530 (Win7, Core2Duo, 8600GT) was working fine up until this evening. Now, when I press the power but on, it seems to power up, then goes off, then turns on again, posts, boots up (hard drive activity normal etc.) - but no video signal.

I have neither another video card or monitor to test it if they're at fault, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has had a problem like this.

Try booting without the battery in, just plugged in the wall.
Try tapping F8 to go into safe mode or vga mode, if you get in, check your video drivers.

cazosozey

lawblob said:
Help. On Friday my netbook got some spyware. I ran Malwarebytes and that fixed the problem. However, I am now only able to access the internet on the netbook via Firefox. It won't connect if I open Chrome, IE, or even iTunes. I have no idea what's going on.

You check your wireless switch? What anti virus do you use?

lawblob said:

Check your LAN settings and make sure you arent using a proxy.

h_a_t

Calling Macbook Pro users...

There's an issue where the macbook's power adapter will not charge the battery unless you remove the battery, plug in the adapter, and then place the battery back in.

Tested the adapter and battery, both brand new, on other macbook pros and get no problem.

Anyone run into something similar before?

ChRoNiTe

I've got a weird issue that has been bugging me for awhile now. I've got my computer monitor plugged into a DVI to HDMI adapter on my graphics card (the only HDMI slot is used by my TV). Whenever I restart the computer I get a black border around my entire screen. I can fix it by going into the Catalyst control and adjusting the scaling slider. Is there any way to not have to do this every time I reboot?? I just installed the latest drivers when Starcraft 2 came out and the problem still persists. Any ideas GAF?

clav

h_a_t said:
There's an issue where the macbook's power adapter will not charge the battery unless you remove the battery, plug in the adapter, and then place the battery back in.

Tested the adapter and battery, both brand new, on other macbook pros and get no problem.

Anyone run into something similar before?
Try resetting the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

If that doesn't work, then take it to the Apple store for a fix.

friskykillface said:
youtube has completely stopped working on my iphone
its a launch model 8 gb in case your wondering
i'll take a pic and post it here later but idk why it stopped working, it always says "cannot connect to youtube" when i try to use it, everything else works like safari, pandora, etc jsut youtube is messed up

I would try resetting everything on the phone and clean everything out on it to see if that works.

firehawk12 said:
I have a couple of laptops of the same specs, but one runs SC2 relatively well while the other chugs. They both have the same processor, same video card and same amount of RAM. Strangely, the problem laptop is on Windows 7 while the other one is on Vista. I'm just trying to diagnose the problem laptop to see if it's something I can fix but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of where I should start?

At the moment I'm just trying to run a defrag to see if it might be the HDD... 8 hours later, it's on pass 16 and still chugging along, so I don't know if I should just clone my hard drive and wipe it or something.

I don't think it's the HD. Are you talking about online play?

Update the graphics drivers. Report back. Do a proper uninstall of the old one and reboot. Install the new one.

lawblob said:

Check in Internet Explorer settings: Tools -> Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings. See if "Automatically detect" is checked. Try it checked. If it's already checked and does not work, then uncheck it.

Everything else in that dialog box has to be unchecked though.

ChRoNiTe said:
I've got a weird issue that has been bugging me for awhile now. I've got my computer monitor plugged into a DVI to HDMI adapter on my graphics card (the only HDMI slot is used by my TV). Whenever I restart the computer I get a black border around my entire screen. I can fix it by going into the Catalyst control and adjusting the scaling slider. Is there any way to not have to do this every time I reboot?? I just installed the latest drivers when Starcraft 2 came out and the problem still persists. Any ideas GAF?

You could either write a script that would auto do the slider thing or just deal with it.

Computer to HDMI has always been finicky.

Barrett2

claviertekky said:
Check in Internet Explorer settings: Tools -> Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings. See if "Automatically detect" is checked. Try it checked. If it's already checked and does not work, then uncheck it.

Everything else in that dialog box has to be unchecked though.

Thank you good sir! That did the trick!

28annk4.png

I've been getting this error lately when Windows 7 tries to update. The info on the error number says a firewall may be blocking access. The only safety program that I installed after 2 August is Avast antivirus, but I don't think that has a firewall program. What else could be causing it? I really hope there's a way to manually install Windows Updates; is that possible?

clav

ChoklitReign said:
28annk4.png

I've been getting this error lately when Windows 7 tries to update. The info on the error number says a firewall may be blocking access. The only safety program that I installed after 2 August is Avast antivirus, but I don't think that has a firewall program. What else could be causing it? I really hope there's a way to manually install Windows Updates; is that possible?
I would just uninstall Avast since Microsoft Security Essentials has been out for an year now.

See if that continues.

NH Apache

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Minor question, what's the GAF consensus on the best free firewall out there?

Back on XP, I used to rock Sygate personal firewall, before they got bought out.

Vista and 7, I just use the windows one. Works pretty well.

Hi every.. I would just go buy a new monitor but I'm flat broke =\

Anyways I have a 19" AOC lcd monitor and lately it completely goes black during games, youtube, pretty much everything. The power light on the monitor will start flashing when this happens and even the buttons on the screen for its built in menu won't work. Each time this happens I have to unplug it from the power for 5 minutes exactly then once I plug it back in my picture is back. It's been doing this for weeks now but its getting much more annoying.

Any idea what the hell is going on and is it something easy to fix? It's 3 years old so it has no warranty.

NH Apache

Banned
BloodElfHunter said:
Hi every.. I would just go buy a new monitor but I'm flat broke =\

Anyways I have a 19" AOC lcd monitor and lately it completely goes black during games, youtube, pretty much everything. The power light on the monitor will start flashing when this happens and even the buttons on the screen for its built in menu won't work. Each time this happens I have to unplug it from the power for 5 minutes exactly then once I plug it back in my picture is back. It's been doing this for weeks now but its getting much more annoying.

Any idea what the hell is going on and is it something easy to fix? It's 3 years old so it has no warranty.

Is it a desktop? If so, have you added a new piece of hardware lately? Try removing one of your pci cards to see if you still have the issue.

Do you have another computer to test it on? Or another monitor in the house with which to test the computer?

Are all the pins in? (VGA? DVI? HDMI?)

Also
or don't fix it, cancel your WoW and go have fun somewhere!

Let us know.

ChoklitReign said:
MSE's download link is broken for me.

Vista/7 32 bit is working for me.

subrock

oh wise tech support gaf, why does my modem disconnect every time a macbook connects to my network? I have 3 roommates on with a MBP (no problem) one with a desktop PC (no problem) and one with an older white macbook (big problem). most times the router and modem are fine and stable, but the macbook roomie comes home and goes online to watch jersey shore or some bullshit, and the internet dies for everyone while leaving us connected to the modem. I think she is just doing web based stuff, and shes too dumb for torrents so what is it?

Jon

friskykillface said:
i need some help on getting a free antivirus program for my laptop.

i heard avira was good, what does GAF suggest?

thanks in advance :D

Microsoft Security Essentials is probably your best bet. Free, small footprint, effective.

Leunam

What's the best way to figure out if the graphical artifacts I'm seeing on my screen are coming from my monitor or my graphics card? Can I "capture" artifacts using the print screen function?

Viewt

Hey guys, quick question:

So a friend of mine and I were recording a podcast, and he was using Audio Recorder for OS X, and he saved the file, but it sort of disappeared (it wasn't showing up on his desktop). He was able to eventually find the file, but it wouldn't play. It's 61 MB, so something is there, but we can't access it.

Do you guys have any ideas? It's an .m4a file, if that helps.

Any thoughts would be massively helpful, thanks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Okay, my HDD failed a short DST test which means it's probably going to die soon. The question is, how do I back up the data?

I tried Ghost, but it fails on an I/O error and won't complete.

I tried Clonezilla, but it gets hung up on trying to read the same sectors over and over again in an infinite loop.

Is there any way to fix this I/O error long enough to just copy my data over?

ultron87

So I think my video card might be fried:

My friend was playing Starcraft 2 earlier today on my machine and after he logged in the screen got all pixeley and fragmented and he wasn't able to do anything so he turned it off. When I got home I tried and get a number of fun visual abnormalities including jagged green lines across the screen or only the color red being shown from my background image.

This screams video card problem to me, but I thought I'd get a second opinion. I checked all the connections and cables and those seem to be fine.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hi TechGAF, I need your help again. My brothers ~2.5 year old Mac Book Pro is acting up. First, the battery never full charges and drains quick. Whatever, batteries do these things sometimes. Yesterday though, the laptop would start, show the Apple logo and a little loading icon and then the laptop would go black and unresponsive and basically shutdown. Today I looked at it myself and it did that, however I did notice what I'm guessing to be the hard drive start up and build up speed which I guess is normal. Then the screen would go black and the spinning would slow go down. This seemed to have happened a few times to my brother yesterday from what he tells me.

After this happened to me today when he told me to look at it, I held the power switch while the what I'm guessing is the hard drive slow down, it shut down completely. I held the power button down again to reboot it and it started to work as normal. It let me log in and I was able to go on Safari and use it normally.

Obviously my brother is cautious now. I'd like to know if anyone here has had similar problems. I'm guessing the first thing to do would be to back everything up on an external drive in case it does happen again and permanently. Is there any way to find out for sure what the problem is? Is there a diagnostic I can run? I'm a PC guy and I'm not familiar with the Mac environment much at all. Are MacBook Pro hard drives hard to replace? How about the batteries? Hard to find? Any advice would be helpful, thanks a lot.

-Tashi

clav

ChoklitReign said:
MSE's download link is broken for me.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Download here.

subrock said:
oh wise tech support gaf, why does my modem disconnect every time a macbook connects to my network? I have 3 roommates on with a MBP (no problem) one with a desktop PC (no problem) and one with an older white macbook (big problem). most times the router and modem are fine and stable, but the macbook roomie comes home and goes online to watch jersey shore or some bullshit, and the internet dies for everyone while leaving us connected to the modem. I think she is just doing web based stuff, and shes too dumb for torrents so what is it?
What do you mean by drop? Does everyone's wireless disconnect or is everyone still connected but the internet just crawls?

If it's the later use QoS on your router. It'll route service and prioritize packets to what needs to be streamed so that the internet doesn't grind to a halt for everyone. Is your roomite watching a lot of videos everytime she's back?

Please reply back what your router is.

If it's the wireless connection drop, thenyour router sucks.

ChoklitReign said:
my laptop keyboard isnt working. what could cause this? its A Dell xps m1530.

Check the keyboard connector. Unplug it and replug it in:

Here's the Dell website that'll show you how to open your laptop:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsm1530/en/SM/index.htm

Leunam said:
What's the best way to figure out if the graphical artifacts I'm seeing on my screen are coming from my monitor or my graphics card? Can I "capture" artifacts using the print screen function?

Try different video connectors. If your graphics card has two ports, try the other.

Also, try your monitor on another computer.

Likely it's your graphics card unless somehow you bent the pins on your connector.

Viewt said:
Hey guys, quick question:

So a friend of mine and I were recording a podcast, and he was using Audio Recorder for OS X, and he saved the file, but it sort of disappeared (it wasn't showing up on his desktop). He was able to eventually find the file, but it wouldn't play. It's 61 MB, so something is there, but we can't access it.

Do you guys have any ideas? It's an .m4a file, if that helps.

Any thoughts would be massively helpful, thanks.

Try opening the file using VLC. See if it plays back. It could be that when your friend saved the file, it closed the program prematurely and corrupted it.

Follow me up on that.

firehawk12 said:
Okay, my HDD failed a short DST test which means it's probably going to die soon. The question is, how do I back up the data?

I tried Ghost, but it fails on an I/O error and won't complete.

I tried Clonezilla, but it gets hung up on trying to read the same sectors over and over again in an infinite loop.

Is there any way to fix this I/O error long enough to just copy my data over?

I would backup the data externally. Just turn the hard drive into an external and see how much you can do. There's no part in copying the partition since it's close to failure.

ultron87 said:
So I think my video card might be fried:

My friend was playing Starcraft 2 earlier today on my machine and after he logged in the screen got all pixeley and fragmented and he wasn't able to do anything so he turned it off. When I got home I tried and get a number of fun visual abnormalities including jagged green lines across the screen or only the color red being shown from my background image.

This screams video card problem to me, but I thought I'd get a second opinion. I checked all the connections and cables and those seem to be fine.

What kind of graphics card do you have? There's been a problem with some very beefy graphics processors that it renders the Starcraft 2 menu screens too quickly; thus causing the graphics card to overheat and permanently damage the gpu.

Check the insides of your computer if it's dusty. Dust out. If that doesn't help, then you have to buy another graphics card.

At this point in time, Blizzard for whatever reason has not decided to force patch it. Go to your documents folder and you should find your Starcraft II folder containing your profile and replays. Inside, there's a text file called variables.txt.

Add this text in any place. Just make sure it has its own row:

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

Tashi0106 said:
Hi TechGAF, I need your help again. My brothers ~2.5 year old Mac Book Pro is acting up. First, the battery never full charges and drains quick. Whatever, batteries do these things sometimes. Yesterday though, the laptop would start, show the Apple logo and a little loading icon and then the laptop would go black and unresponsive and basically shutdown. Today I looked at it myself and it did that, however I did notice what I'm guessing to be the hard drive start up and build up speed which I guess is normal. Then the screen would go black and the spinning would slow go down. This seemed to have happened a few times to my brother yesterday from what he tells me.

After this happened to me today when he told me to look at it, I held the power switch while the what I'm guessing is the hard drive slow down, it shut down completely. I held the power button down again to reboot it and it started to work as normal. It let me log in and I was able to go on Safari and use it normally.

Obviously my brother is cautious now. I'd like to know if anyone here has had similar problems. I'm guessing the first thing to do would be to back everything up on an external drive in case it does happen again and permanently. Is there any way to find out for sure what the problem is? Is there a diagnostic I can run? I'm a PC guy and I'm not familiar with the Mac environment much at all. Are MacBook Pro hard drives hard to replace? How about the batteries? Hard to find? Any advice would be helpful, thanks a lot.

-Tashi

I said something earlier this thread regarding this. Look below. Reset the SMC.

claviertekky said:
Try resetting the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

If that doesn't work, then take it to the Apple store for a fix.

Also, try running the laptop without the battery. What happens?

I would also say the battery sounds like it's dead. 2.5 years and probably plugged in most of the time.

Viewt

Yeah, I've tried opening it with VLC, importing the file into GarageBand, Audacity, etc. Audacity actually had some waveforms showing, but it was just a second of high-pitched screeching.

The file is stored here if you want to take a look at it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/413959061/bopcast_caligula.m4a

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point. In any case, I appreciate the thought.

EDIT: To give some more details, when I try to open it with VLC, it gives me this error message:

ffmpeg: av_find_stream_info failed
ps: cannot peek
main: no suitable demux module for `/:///Users/karlcastaneda/Desktop/evenbop.m4a'

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
claviertekky said:
I said something earlier this thread regarding this. Look below. Reset the SMC.

Also, try running the laptop without the battery. What happens?

I would also say the battery sounds like it's dead. 2.5 years and probably plugged in most of the time.

Thanks for replying. My brother said he reset the SMC and it's done nothing really. I just took the battery out of the laptop and it wouldn't start. I put the battery back in and it loaded normally. While it was running, I took the battery out and it continued to work just fine. We shut it down and started back up just while the wire was plugged in with no battery. Then we shut it down again, took off the charge cable and put it back in, and now it won't start up again. I'm sure if I just put the battery back in it'll start up again. It's pretty annoying.

Do you think that the battery is causing the laptop to over heat making it shut down as a precaution? This is what was happening to my HP laptop. It was over heating with the battery in and shutting down on it's own.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Long story short:

-Bought parts for new PC
-Put together. Turned on. No signal to mointor not even BIOS
-Double checked all cables. Still nothing
-Took out new RAM. Put inside old PC. Nothing.
-Took out old RAM. Put inside new PC. Nothing.
-Nerdrage. Put old RAM back in old PC. Nothing.
-FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Potential things broken: New PSU. New RAM. New mono. Old RAM. Old mono.

Would like advice. Will post components if necessary, but not tonight.

f0nz0

hey guys/gals

need some help with a virus issue that i have been trying to fix for a while now with no luck,

hp mini 311
windows xp

basically its one of those NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM RPC automatic shutdown deals, ive read on the net to look for a MBLAST.EXE or other processes that cause this issue, problem is that i cannot find them anywhere, along with this issue the laptop cannot connect to the internet, the wifi is not working, when i connect to lan via cable, the computer still cannot connect, allssooo when i try to plug in a usb flash drive, it will recognize the drive at the bottom right toolbar, but nothing will show up on the my computer screen, so i cant load any antivirus fix, or go online to download the fixes, starting in safe mode with or without networking does not let me fix the issue with not being able to load a flash drive and or connect to the net

basically i got no idea what to do, looking for help

thanks in advance!

clav

Viewt said:
Yeah, I've tried opening it with VLC, importing the file into GarageBand, Audacity, etc. Audacity actually had some waveforms showing, but it was just a second of high-pitched screeching.

The file is stored here if you want to take a look at it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/413959061/bopcast_caligula.m4a

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point. In any case, I appreciate the thought.

EDIT: To give some more details, when I try to open it with VLC, it gives me this error message:
Sorry man. There's nothing I can do. :/ Maybe next time record in .wav?

Tashi0106 said:
Thanks for replying. My brother said he reset the SMC and it's done nothing really. I just took the battery out of the laptop and it wouldn't start. I put the battery back in and it loaded normally. While it was running, I took the battery out and it continued to work just fine. We shut it down and started back up just while the wire was plugged in with no battery. Then we shut it down again, took off the charge cable and put it back in, and now it won't start up again. I'm sure if I just put the battery back in it'll start up again. It's pretty annoying.

Do you think that the battery is causing the laptop to over heat making it shut down as a precaution? This is what was happening to my HP laptop. It was over heating with the battery in and shutting down on it's own.

I think the battery is just old. Take it to the Apple store for a better clarification.

Halycon said:
Long story short:

-Bought parts for new PC
-FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

What's mono? I'm going to guess motherboard or the PSU. Post your setup. I'm not sure what parts did you buy.

f0nz0 said:
hey guys/gals

need some help with a virus issue that i have been trying to fix for a while now with no luck,

hp mini 311
windows xp

basically its one of those NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM RPC automatic shutdown deals, ive read on the net to look for a MBLAST.EXE or other processes that cause this issue, problem is that i cannot find them anywhere, along with this issue the laptop cannot connect to the internet, the wifi is not working, when i connect to lan via cable, the computer still cannot connect, allssooo when i try to plug in a usb flash drive, it will recognize the drive at the bottom right toolbar, but nothing will show up on the my computer screen, so i cant load any antivirus fix, or go online to download the fixes, starting in safe mode with or without networking does not let me fix the issue with not being able to load a flash drive and or connect to the net

thanks in advance!

Download a copy of Malwarebytes: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html

Install and update it.

Scan.

If you wish, you can try running the scan in safe mode (reboot and mash F8 before the Windows logo loading bar appears) after updating it.

If you still want to do it in normal mode, and the countdown timer continues counting down, roll the clock backwards to a day or two (i.e. Change the day to 8/23/2010 or 8/24/2010) . This will delay the shutdown timer.

---------------------------

If that doesn't work:
Download this: Combofix.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Put it on a flash drive on a working computer.

Boot computer in safe mode (Mash F8 before the Windows Starting logo loading bar appears.)

Copy combofix.exe to Desktop.

Launch. You don't need to do a registry backup. Let it do everything, and it'll automatically reboot.

f0nz0

thanks for the input claviertekky, but like i stated in my post, i cant connect to the net to download either of the fixes and i cant load any flash drive/sd card, nothing shows up on my computer when i connect it to the usb port/sd card reader..

so frustrating

f0nz0 said:
thanks for the input claviertekky, but like i stated in my post, i cant connect to the net to download either of the fixes and i cant load any flash drive/sd card, nothing shows up on my computer when i connect it to the usb port/sd card reader..

so frustrating

Try both of these things to see if it fixes it.

Bring up the cmd. (Type cmd in the run box) If in vista or 7, right click cmd when you search for it and make sure to run as admin.

Once the cmd box it up, type "netsh winsock reset" without the quotes. See if that fixes the internet issue. If not, try this very simple thing, you have no idea how many times this has worked. Just simply go to internet options in internet explorer, go to the advanced tab, click the button that says reset.

Let me know if any of these worked!

Ristlager

My iphone 3 gs silent switch doesn't work anymore, and therefor I can't put it on silent mode. Is there an easy fix for this? I have downloadet autosilent but thinking about selling it for a iphone 4, and it would be better if I can sell it without any faults.

xrich

Banned
Halycon said:
Long story short:

-Bought parts for new PC
-FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Did the computer even turn on? Any lights on the mobo flashing or anything?

S. L.

I have a really annoying problem on my desktop computer.
Every time i upload attachments to gmail (happens on every browser) or try to sync Picasa with the online albums my network on the computer freezes up completely until i reboot.

Using Win7 Pro 64Bit with an Asus P5KPL-VM mainboard (intel)

any ideas? google gives me nothing.

jorma

is now taking requests
Not sure this is the correct thread but here goes anyway:

So i've recently gotten 100mbit fibre broadband at home. Turns out my current router (a dlink something) cannot handle the traffic, most i can get is 60mbit in both directions.

So my question is, what's the cheapest router (that also has a wireless option) on the market that can properly handle a 100/100 fibre connection?

S. L.

S. L. said:
I have a really annoying problem on my desktop computer.
Every time i upload attachments to gmail (happens on every browser) or try to sync Picasa with the online albums my network on the computer freezes up completely until i reboot.

Using Win7 Pro 64Bit with an Asus P5KPL-VM mainboard (intel)

any ideas? google gives me nothing.
ok, reverting to an old vista driver version for the network card seems to have done the trick

silly stuff

jay

jay said:
When I start my computer the desktop and programs in the task bar load but if I try to navigate to the task bar (it is set to autohide) or into folders on the desktop whatever I am doing crashes (not responding). So I boot up, go to the task bar and my pointer becomes a timer icon and I can't do anything, so I try my documents to load an mp3 and the folders open but then stop responding.

Control alt delete doesn't do anything.

Then 15 to 20 minutes later I get the Windows booting tune and everything starts to work as if nothing happened.

I've run a bunch of virus scans with Norton and one free program I can't recall at the moment, used AdAware and Spy Bot, looked at the HijackThis log and it didn't have anything weird on it.

The computer boots fine in safety mode so I uninstalled or disabled almost everything to try to get it to work in a regular boot but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Four months and still no resolution. Other than my current plan of buy a Power Book Pro.

subrock

claviertekky said:
What do you mean by drop? Does everyone's wireless disconnect or is everyone still connected but the internet just crawls?

If it's the later use QoS on your router. It'll route service and prioritize packets to what needs to be streamed so that the internet doesn't grind to a halt for everyone. Is your roomite watching a lot of videos everytime she's back?

Please reply back what your router is.

If it's the wireless connection drop, thenyour router sucks.
its not the connection speed, I have a 20 mbit connection that'll standup to pretty much anything, its that the connection to the internet is dropped altogether while still remaining connected to the router.

router is dir-615 wireless N. internet provider is Shaw.

quickwhips

lawblob said:

go to internet options under tools. Go to the advanced tab. Click reset setting. This should fix your problem. Ive seen this with malwarebytes after removing a virus it fucks some setting up in IE. See if that fixes it for you let me know with pm if you need more help.

quickwhips

f0nz0 said:
hey guys/gals

hp mini 311
windows xp

thanks in advance!

right click on my computer and go to manage. CLick on Storage and look at disk management can you see the usb drive device in there maybe with no drive letter? Maybe you just need to assign one? Can usb device be seen in safe mode? I'll check back after you reply.

Top Bottom