• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

clav

Domino Theory said:
I don't know if router support counts, but here it goes (I posted this same thing in an old router thread but no one responded). :p

Anyways, I have a Linksys WRT54G2 v1.5 router (yes, I have the latest firmwire on it) and for the past few months, I've been having a weird and reaccuring issue with it where it'll just randomly stop working/disconnect me from the internet, however, I can still stay logged in and chat with other people on Windows Live Messanger and go on YouTube, but if I attempt to go on other websites, log into Xbox LIVE or do ANYTHING else that requires an internet connection, it'll say I'm not connected to the internet. What's even more strange is that the router itself doesn't display that it's not connected (the lights and indicators on the hardware itself make it look like everything is normal).

What's also strange is that this problem always happens overnight while I'm sleeping so I have to reset my router every single time I wake up in the morning. It's as if the router will disconnect me from the internet if I'm not actively using my connection/surfing the web/using Xbox LIVE.

I did try resetting my modem instead of my router to see if my connection itself was the problem, but it's not.

I'm using a Windows 7 laptop, btw, if that helps or matters.
Sounds like your router has issues.

DD-WRT is not possible on your router.

My suggestion: Buy a new router, preferably with Tomato firmware support.

I only use a router that works with Tomato firmware. I'm completely sold on its usability and rock-solid stability.

PhoncipleBone said:
I am just confounded that this issue just randomly appeared. We have not changed ANY settings on anything and it occurred.

Did you download and run the removal tool that I suggested?

http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Just jump to Step 4. We're not going back to Norton.

From what I've seen in Vista computers, the third party firewall tends to screw up a lot of settings, and yes they do appear out of no where.

clav

PhoncipleBone said:
Ran the uninstaller, still have issues. Have tried changing the wifi channel, etc...still issues. All traces of Norton are gone.

1. Run command prompt: Click Windows Icon. Type "cmd" without quotes and right click on it -> run as admin.

2. type in: ipconfig. What does the network address say and default gateway?

You could try resetting the TCP/IP stack from here:

3. In the same window, run the command "netsh int ip reset" without quotes.

4. Reboot.

Does your wife's Intel Wireless card run using the Intel tool or Vista's utility?

Burger

What would be the terminal command in Unix/Lunix/OS X to list the amount of folders and files inside a given folder.

Keeping in mind such a command would be run on a mounted network volume, and would have to look through perhaps over 10,000 folders and maybe a million files. Also I don't want a list, just an amount...

clav

Burger said:
What would be the terminal command in Unix/Lunix/OS X to list the amount of folders and files inside a given folder.

Keeping in mind such a command would be run on a mounted network volume, and would have to look through perhaps over 10,000 folders and maybe a million files. Also I don't want a list, just an amount...

ls /PATHNAME/ | wc -l

more info here: http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_10.html

Look under "Finding the Number of Files in a Listing."

claviertekky said:
1. Run command prompt: Click Windows Icon. Type "cmd" without quotes and right click on it -> run as admin.

2. type in: ipconfig. What does the network address say and default gateway?

You could try resetting the TCP/IP stack from here:

3. In the same window, run the command "netsh int ip reset" without quotes.

4. Reboot.

Does your wife's Intel Wireless card run using the Intel tool or Vista's utility?

No default gateway listed.

Rebooting now after clearing the stack

claviertekky said:
I hoped it worked out for you. Please report back if you still have that problem.
Nope. Wont connect. Running the connection software on the router and using the USB setup key and they are not finding each other. Now it at least the computer links to the router, but says "limited access" for no reason.

clav

PhoncipleBone said:
Nope. Wont connect. Running the connection software on the router and using the USB setup key and they are not finding each other. Now it at least the computer links to the router, but says "limited access" for no reason.
You can try resetting winsock then.

CMD in administrator mode.

netsh winsock reset

reboot.

Also, it may sound stupid, but power cycle the router.

=====

questions: Do you use the Intel wireless utility or Vista's wireless utility?

What exactly is this USB setup key? I've never used one for setting up someone's network.

claviertekky said:
You can try resetting winsock then.

CMD in administrator mode.

netsh winsock reset

reboot.

Also, it may sound stupid, but power cycle the router.

=====

questions: Do you use the Intel wireless utility or Vista's wireless utility?

What exactly is this USB setup key? I've never used one for setting up someone's network.
It is something that the cisco software allows you to create. It puts all the router settings and whatnot onto a drive once the admin creates all the security settings. You plug the USB drive into whatever device you want to connect to the router and run the software. It worked when we first got the router, but does not work now. Manually connecting does nothing either.

For wireless utility, I am not sure. We are just going into the network connections on Vista, so I assume Vista's utility.

I have reset the router as well and updated the firmware. My wife is resetting her network adapter now.

I mean, WTF? How does something like this happen, and why does it only affect our home network and not the school one? And why is it ONLY her computer and no other device?

clav

PhoncipleBone said:
It is something that the cisco software allows you to create. It puts all the router settings and whatnot onto a drive once the admin creates all the security settings. You plug the USB drive into whatever device you want to connect to the router and run the software. It worked when we first got the router, but does not work now. Manually connecting does nothing either.

I see. Why don't you just do it manually from now on?

Unless you use something outside of WPA2-PSK and TKIP/AES password encryption like VPN, I don't see why you need to use it.

PhoncipleBone said:
For wireless utility, I am not sure. We are just going into the network connections on Vista, so I assume Vista's utility.

I have reset the router as well and updated the firmware. My wife is resetting her network adapter now.

Ok good.

PhoncipleBone said:
I mean, WTF? How does something like this happen, and why does it only affect our home network and not the school one? And why is it ONLY her computer and no other device?

1. Vista.
2. Network card.

The network features in Windows 7 was written much better.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKK....unplugging the router then plugging it back in did it. That is the one thing we didnt think to do because every other fucking device in the apartment worked. But power cycling worked. :lol I dont know whether to laugh about being stoopid and not doing that, or infuriated that the solution was that simple.

And WTF would make it do that? That is our big question...

claviertekky said:
I see. Why don't you just do it manually from now on?

Unless you use something outside of WPA2-PSK and TKIP/AES password encryption like VPN, I don't see why you need to use it.

Ok good.

1. Vista.
2. Network card.

The network features in Windows 7 was written much better.

We did manually before and it didnt work. The USB drive was there just as a backup. Eh.

I have been telling her for a while to jump to Windows 7 for a lot of reasons if she is going to stay with MS. She probably will now, but I know she has all but made up her mind to go Mac on her next computer because of all the drama at school with the computers and now hers at home. These last few weeks have just been hell for her involving computers. The laser in the lab at school got a nasty virus and they couldnt do research for the day because of it. But she used Malwarebytes to save it, then disconnected the computer from the internet since it didnt need it. Ugh.

Thank you again for the help.

gblues

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKK....unplugging the router then plugging it back in did it. That is the one thing we didnt think to do because every other fucking device in the apartment worked. But power cycling worked. :lol I dont know whether to laugh about being stoopid and not doing that, or infuriated that the solution was that simple.

And WTF would make it do that? That is our big question...

The router is probably buggy as hell and has a memory leak in the DHCP server, causing it to fail to give out new DHCP leases. Rebooting the router clears the memory and temporarily resolves the problem. It'll probably come back, and probably on someone else's computer.

I've got 2 routers, both running DD-WRT (one "lite" and the other regular) and it works great.

gblues said:
The router is probably buggy as hell and has a memory leak in the DHCP server, causing it to fail to give out new DHCP leases. Rebooting the router clears the memory and temporarily resolves the problem. It'll probably come back, and probably on someone else's computer.

I've got 2 routers, both running DD-WRT (one "lite" and the other regular) and it works great.
Eh. Never had issues like that before. I will look into that more.

Cuu

Restoring Aero

Anytime my computer has too much going on graphics wise, it'll shut off the transparency of Aero to save on resources (is my guess). However, I'm not sure how to get the transparency back without restarting.

Thanks for any input.

My specs:
Vaio CW17FX
C2D T6600
GeForce 210M
Windows 7

Ashhong

Cuu said:
Restoring Aero

Anytime my computer has too much going on graphics wise, it'll shut off the transparency of Aero to save on resources (is my guess). However, I'm not sure how to get the transparency back without restarting.

Thanks for any input.

My specs:
Vaio CW17FX
C2D T6600
GeForce 210M
Windows 7

Right click the desktop --> Personalize --> Aero theme

If that doesnt work you can right click Computer --> Retrieve System Rating. there might be other simpler ways, but that usually works for me

(This is a Windows 7 PC.)

* Random Internet Explorer pop-ups were appearing on my screen.

* I ran Malwarebytes and it found a 'trojan.agent' file in the Recycle Bin. I chose the option 'fix the problem'.

* Now my computer won't boot. The screen turns black when I try to boot. I can't boot in safe mode either (for some reason, pressing F8 doesn't give me the option to start in safe mode.)

* I have ubuntu on a flash drive, I also have a CD with a very minimal XP install. But obviously it's difficult to edit the non-active HD registry using these boot methods (and even if I could, I wouldn't know what to edit...)

I've experienced this problem before, but I forgot what I did to solve it.

Dougald

Can you run the Win7 startup repair tool via F8 at startup? Not sure why you wouldn't see safe mode at the advanced boot options screen..

When pressing F8, I don't get Advanced Boot Options.

All I get is Boot Menu, where I can choose where to boot from: HD1, HD2, USB, CD, etc.

Nothing about safe mode there.

Dougald

Sounds like a BIOS menu, does your motherboard have F8 to select boot device? Maybe you're hitting f8 before it's done POSTing?

Do you have your Win 7 disk? If so boot to that and run a startup repair from the disk. Also try waiting a few seconds after you see the BIOS load to start tapping F8.

Yeah, it looks like a Boot menu. I'm now trying to hit F8 as soon as I choose an option in the boot menu. But no luck.

Seems like my computer won't even run in safe mode.

I'd rather have kept those pop-ups! Maybe I'll have to wipe my HD clean.

Dougald

Boot from your Win7 disc, if you have one, as FilosopherStoner suggested - you can do a repair when selecting setup type

NH Apache

Banned
I have a new fun one guys!

Updated my HD 3200 as well as Raid driver and some others off ati support.

Vista also performed an update evidently.

Now, Vista will not restart. It hangs on the boot screen and the bar just goes forever.

Upon restart from that, I cannot enter safe mode and it solely directs me to startup repair, which fails.

Startup repair says that it cannot be fixed automatically and give the following as product details:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem event name:   StartupRepairV2
  Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailover
  Problem Signature 02:  6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
  Problem Signature 03:  5
  Problem Signature 04:  393219
  Problem Signature 05:  BadPatch
  Problem Signature 06: BadPatch
  Problem Signature 07:  0
  Problem Signature 08:  3
  Problem Signature 09:  WrpRepair
  Problem Signature 10:  0
  OS Version:                 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:                   1033

I managed, somehow, to try to boot into safemode once, and it hung on a file name ahcix64s.sys and would not boot past that. Evidently I do not have a system restore option, as it says I have no backups.

My fear is that I installed a bad raid driver or something, and when it loads, drives my computer batshit. I want to uninstall the drivers I have just installed, but can't figure out a way to do it without my precious safe mode.

If everything goes to shit, I can alt boot into Ubuntu and transfer my files (HOURS) but I would like to just try and fix it somehow.

Help Gaf!

Edit: As it is a lovely HP dv7-1135nr, HP does not provide a cd, only a partition. And I can try to engage that partition, but it will overwrite all personal data.

Edit2: Also, on restart from repair, F8 key will not bring up options for booting, preventing me from accessing safe mode.

clav

NH Apache said:
I have a new fun one guys!

Updated my HD 3200 as well as Raid driver and some others off ati support.

Vista also performed an update evidently.

Now, Vista will not restart. It hangs on the boot screen and the bar just goes forever.

Upon restart from that, I cannot enter safe mode and it solely directs me to startup repair, which fails.

Startup repair says that it cannot be fixed automatically and give the following as product details:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem event name:   StartupRepairV2
  Problem Signature 01:  AutoFailover
  Problem Signature 02:  6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
  Problem Signature 03:  5
  Problem Signature 04:  393219
  Problem Signature 05:  BadPatch
  Problem Signature 06: BadPatch
  Problem Signature 07:  0
  Problem Signature 08:  3
  Problem Signature 09:  WrpRepair
  Problem Signature 10:  0
  OS Version:                 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:                   1033

I managed, somehow, to try to boot into safemode once, and it hung on a file name ahcix64s.sys and would not boot past that. Evidently I do not have a system restore option, as it says I have no backups.

My fear is that I installed a bad raid driver or something, and when it loads, drives my computer batshit. I want to uninstall the drivers I have just installed, but can't figure out a way to do it without my precious safe mode.

If everything goes to shit, I can alt boot into Ubuntu and transfer my files (HOURS) but I would like to just try and fix it somehow.

Help Gaf!

Edit: As it is a lovely HP dv7-1135nr, HP does not provide a cd, only a partition. And I can try to engage that partition, but it will overwrite all personal data.

Edit2: Also, on restart from repair, F8 key will not bring up options for booting, preventing me from accessing safe mode.
Try sticking in your Vista Installation DVD and do repair mode on it. Startup repair is limited what it can do since it doesn't have access to some files compared to DVD repair. If you don't have the DVD, ANY Vista installation DVD will work. Go borrow a friend's.

If that fails, then you'll have to redo your whole system.

I suppose you disabled system restore, right? If not, try restoring a session there.

NH Apache

Banned
claviertekky said:
Try sticking in your Vista Installation DVD and do repair mode on it. Startup repair is limited what it can do since it doesn't have access to some files available on the DVD. If you don't have the DVD, ANY Vista installation DVD will work. Go borrow a friend's.

If that fails, then you'll have to redo your whole system.

I suppose you disabled system restore, right? If not, try restoring a session there.

Yup I had disabled system restore, like a dummy. Don't have a restore disk (THANKS HP). I'll see if I can find one.

What a massive pain in my ass.

Edit: Found a bootdisk through neosmart. Burning it now, thank god for the second pc. Gonna give it a shot after to see if it will repair startup.

NH Apache

Banned
Sorry, I don't usually double post, but...

I managed to use the startup disk and it is only giving me the same options as before.

But...

I have managed to determine that the problem is with my ahcix64s.sys. It is the last driver that I installed before reboot and lo and behold it is the raid controller.

I would like to roll back this driver and it looks like I have the functionality to do so, I just need the old version.

I found the install path on the Driver and it looks like there are two chipsets, SB6xx and SB7xx. I'm not sure which one I'll need for my HP dv7-1135nr, or where to find the old driver. I know I need the one for 64 bit Vista. The version that I do have is 10.6 and I'm not even sure that is the proper driver for my RAID.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the correct RAID driver for my computer? I can't find it on the manufacturer's website... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3795411#N3445

Edit: There was no ahcix64s.sys listed in System32/inf. I tried to copy/paste the sb6xx version of the version in and no luck. I had downloaded both the driver for AHCI (?) and RAID, which happen to have the same driver name. I don't even know what AHCI is.

Edit2: Fuck it. Booted into Ubuntu, copy pasting all. I'll load Vista back after I finish. Fuck you ATI

clav

NH Apache said:
Sorry, I don't usually double post, but...

I managed to use the startup disk and it is only giving me the same options as before.

But...

I have managed to determine that the problem is with my ahcix64s.sys. It is the last driver that I installed before reboot and lo and behold it is the raid controller.

I would like to roll back this driver and it looks like I have the functionality to do so, I just need the old version.

I found the install path on the Driver and it looks like there are two chipsets, SB6xx and SB7xx. I'm not sure which one I'll need for my HP dv7-1135nr, or where to find the old driver. I know I need the one for 64 bit Vista. The version that I do have is 10.6 and I'm not even sure that is the proper driver for my RAID.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the correct RAID driver for my computer? I can't find it on the manufacturer's website... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3795411#N3445

Edit: There was no ahcix64s.sys listed in System32/inf. I tried to copy/paste the sb6xx version of the version in and no luck. I had downloaded both the driver for AHCI (?) and RAID, which happen to have the same driver name. I don't even know what AHCI is.

Edit2: Fuck it. Booted into Ubuntu, copy pasting all. I'll load Vista back after I finish. Fuck you ATI
Why don't you take this opportunity to install Windows 7?

NH Apache

Banned
claviertekky said:
Why don't you take this opportunity to install Windows 7?

Haha, I seriously love Win7, but do not have an extra seat available or the pocket cash to get a copy. This is the month for bills.

Edit:

FUCK

Tried the HP reset program which moves all personal data to another partition. Chose this option, and it fucking fails. Not only this, But I press cancel so it doesn't go into format.

Guess what it does? Goes into format.

FUCK

Reset power at 0% into formatting, because no cancel button is available, praying I saved something.

No. LOST EVERYTHING. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YOU HP AND YOUR SHITTY BACKUP PROGRAM>

RAGE. EVERYTHING> FUCK. I don't have backups for this stuff. Fuck me. All becuae I wanted to update a fucking driver. Fuck.

EDIT2:

And now I have restore bootmanager/grub to even get at anything. fucking shit.

OK, so it's a day later. (My computer was unbootable after removal of just one recycle bin file related to 'trogan.agent').

I wasted all of yesterday trying to make a bootable USB stick from which I can install Windows (big hassle, but the program I ended up using was Koala).

(My CDROM drive doesn't work, so I needed a USB stick.)

Now I'm trying to repair my Windows 7 install. First I tried 'Startup Repair' (fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting). It didn't work.

Then I tried 'System Restore' (Restore Windows to an earlier point in time).

HOWEVER, it says: System Restore did not complete successfully.... System Restore failed to extract the file (D:recyclebin/blablabla/wedfsdofk.EXE).

SO I CAN'T REVERT TO AN EARLIER STATE BECAUSE WINDOWS UNSUCCESSFULLY TRIES TO PUT THE VIRUS BACK WHERE IT WAS????

WTF indeed

I think I'll go linux all the way....

Edit:
Problem solved i think. Looks like the store was unable to correctly apply the CPU cooling solution. The i5 cores reached tempratures of 98*C while i was benchmarking resident evil 5.

Alucrid

Banned
My flash drive used to work with both mac and PC but then I formatted it on my mac and now I can reformat it on my PC. All I get is 200MB of space, not the other 7.9 that the Mac formatting is taking up.

Dougald

Alucrid said:
My flash drive used to work with both mac and PC but then I formatted it on my mac and now I can reformat it on my PC. All I get is 200MB of space, not the other 7.9 that the Mac formatting is taking up.

Look for the device in Disk Management and delete the partition that the mac probably created (Start>Right-Click Computer>Manage>Disk Management). You're looking for a removable disk with an "unknown" partition or something, I expect. Just delete them all until you get 8gb RAW space then format that as FAT32/NTFS/Whatever.

spootime

Got a problem for you guys..

Yesterday, during a lightning storm, my house lost power for a few seconds. When it came back on, my computer ran perfectly fine. The next morning, however, when I went to turn it on the computer would only stay on for a few seconds before turning off. I originally thought it was the power supply, but I have since then tested my rig with a completely different power supply and the problem is persisting. Do you guys have any suggestions, or is my computers motherboard/components completely fried?

Problem here with Windows 7 and using the 360 as a media extender. I set it up recently (Media Centre is pretty useless by the way) and found afterwards that every single one of the files in My Pictures and My Music is now locked to me. When I go into any folder it displays this:
permission.jpg

And the every single file has a small padlock symbol on it, like this:
music.jpg

Is there a way to get rid of this without going into every individual folder and changing the permissions?

xero273

I got a virus/spyware problem. PC was infected. Booted to safe mode. Ran malwarebytes and spybot. removed everything. Ran avast to do a boot scan and removed infected files. I start up Windows XP and tried to go to IE or Firefox and I get no webpage being displayed. The PC is getting a valid ip address. I can ping sites fine, but the PC just can't go anywhere on the internet. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hey guys, Im having problems with my labtop. The battery is not charging. It just stopped working. The piece where the charger seems like its loose. Should i take it to the repair shop or buy a new charger?
Thanks for the help

Shiv47

Okay, here's my problem: I have a self-built PC into which I was trying to install a second hard drive. I connected everything up and when I tried to start it, the computer wouldn't power up at all. Had a friend look at it, and he got it to power up, but the motherboard will not post. Everything appears to be getting power, it just won't post. Any ideas?

Vyer

xero273 said:
I got a virus/spyware problem. PC was infected. Booted to safe mode. Ran malwarebytes and spybot. removed everything. Ran avast to do a boot scan and removed infected files. I start up Windows XP and tried to go to IE or Firefox and I get no webpage being displayed. The PC is getting a valid ip address. I can ping sites fine, but the PC just can't go anywhere on the internet. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Go into IE-tools-Internet options. Under the connection tab you should see LAN settings button.

Make sure no proxy is set. Uncheck if enabled. Lots if malware does this.

Restart IE.

Also you may need to reset browser. Advanced tab in Internet options->reset button. Restart browser.

Well this is a repost from another thread but figure this is a better place for this:

Alrght having a possessed PC that I'm trying to completely clean out. It had gotten viruses and I replaced it, so I was going to clean it out and possibly give it away. Anyways I tried the system image recovery disc it came with, and it blue screened during the process and it wouldn't work after that. So I went with a clean install and using the windows disc I had the system format and do a clean windows install. The process went through and upon restarting after the boot it just gives a disc read error and won't do anything. I can try reinstalling windows again but it keeps doing the same error.

A few times on boot the boot screen also goes bonkers and some of the characters on the screen become colored, letters changed, and even some ACSII characters like little smiley faces or such appear on the boot screen in place some of some characters, but it only does this randomly.

I don't know what the heck is going on with this possessed system, figured the format and clean install would have fixed it as it has always in the past.

xero273

Vyer said:
Go into IE-tools-Internet options. Under the connection tab you should see LAN settings button.

Make sure no proxy is set. Uncheck if enabled. Lots if malware does this.

Restart IE.

Also you may need to reset browser. Advanced tab in Internet options->reset button. Restart browser.

Thanks. It worked.

NH Apache

Banned
Hydranockz said:
Ok folks. I want to play my 360 on my laptop. Is this possible?

USB TV Card.

BattleMonkey said:
Well this is a repost from another thread but figure this is a better place for this:

Alrght having a possessed PC that I'm trying to completely clean out. It had gotten viruses and I replaced it, so I was going to clean it out and possibly give it away. Anyways I tried the system image recovery disc it came with, and it blue screened during the process and it wouldn't work after that. So I went with a clean install and using the windows disc I had the system format and do a clean windows install. The process went through and upon restarting after the boot it just gives a disc read error and won't do anything. I can try reinstalling windows again but it keeps doing the same error.

A few times on boot the boot screen also goes bonkers and some of the characters on the screen become colored, letters changed, and even some ACSII characters like little smiley faces or such appear on the boot screen in place some of some characters, but it only does this randomly.

I don't know what the heck is going on with this possessed system, figured the format and clean install would have fixed it as it has always in the past.

Well, it looks like you have eliminated the possibilities down to BIOS or hardware failure. Usually, you have to have a windows environment to update the BIOS. But I'm leaning toward the hardware failure. This could explain the blue screen during recovery. Laptop or desktop?

Top Bottom