• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

quickwhips

jorma said:
Not sure this is the correct thread but here goes anyway:

So i've recently gotten 100mbit fibre broadband at home. Turns out my current router (a dlink something) cannot handle the traffic, most i can get is 60mbit in both directions.

So my question is, what's the cheapest router (that also has a wireless option) on the market that can properly handle a 100/100 fibre connection?

Here is a decent one for 38 dollars that does 1gig for wan and lan ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=4_x_10/100/1000M_LAN-_-33-320-031-_-Product

NH Apache

Banned
jay said:
Four months and still no resolution. Other than my current plan of buy a Power Book Pro.

Sound like you have some serious registry issues. It sounds like it would be much better to re-install at this point.

subrock said:
its not the connection speed, I have a 20 mbit connection that'll standup to pretty much anything, its that the connection to the internet is dropped altogether while still remaining connected to the router.

router is dir-615 wireless N. internet provider is Shaw.

D Links are terrible, terrible routers. See if you can borrow a friend's router to see if you still have the issue. Or buy one and return it if you still have the problem.

jorma said:
Not sure this is the correct thread but here goes anyway:

So i've recently gotten 100mbit fibre broadband at home. Turns out my current router (a dlink something) cannot handle the traffic, most i can get is 60mbit in both directions.

So my question is, what's the cheapest router (that also has a wireless option) on the market that can properly handle a 100/100 fibre connection?

If wired, pretty much any router will handle that.

Wirelessly, Draft n can handle, theoretically, up to 300 Mbps. Remember that you must have a wireless n card built in as well to take advantage of this.

Check here:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCate...ame=Wireless-Routers&Pagesize=100&Order=PRICE

Your restriction may not come from your side though, but from the other system you are accessing. 60 mbit is still crazy fast.

quickwhips

Baconbitz

Banned
Looking to buy an HDTV relatively soon. Can someone tell me the more important terms to know in HDTVology and there meanings? 1080i 480P?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
jiggle said:
so my friend bought a new pc from dell
and she tried to run FFXIV benchmark
but she's getting the error msg that d3dx9_41.dll can't be found?

i did a quick google and found this
http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

but then i found out her computer has directx 11?

but 11 not up for download at that page?
so i'm at a loss on what to tell her...
Download direct x9 from here or their link to microsoft's copy: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

I just recently acquired an emachines EM250-1162 netbook loaded with windows 7 starter. I can not for the life of me figure out how to change the wallpaper. wtf

(._.)

Banned
I think I have some sort of "msn virus." Once a week or so I will IM everybody who is online advertisements for a personals site. Many of my contacts have IM'd me telling me this. I went to cnet and I ran a program that is designed to pick up on MSN stuff like that but it found nothing. I also ran my virus software on basic scan but it found nothing. Just yesterday I did a full scan and it found a piece of malware and removed it. Does anybody know what I should do from here? How do I know if that piece of malware was related to my MSN problems and if my troubles are over? Thanks for the help TechSupportGAF :]

Dougald

(._.) said:
I think I have some sort of "msn virus." Once a week or so I will IM everybody who is online advertisements for a personals site. Many of my contacts have IM'd me telling me this. I went to cnet and I ran a program that is designed to pick up on MSN stuff like that but it found nothing. I also ran my virus software on basic scan but it found nothing. Just yesterday I did a full scan and it found a piece of malware and removed it. Does anybody know what I should do from here? How do I know if that piece of malware was related to my MSN problems and if my troubles are over? Thanks for the help TechSupportGAF :]

Download and run MalwareBytes, in safe mode if possible

I'm in need of some help:

I typed my service tag in on the Dell website and it said I needed a firmware update for my Blu-Ray RW, I installed it and my drive instantly died. Now it has no light and will not open or close when pressing the button, I disconnected and reconected the drive it and it's recognised in the BIOS and in My Computer but still no power...can it be fixed?

:(

Dougald

PumpkinPie said:
I'm in need of some help:

I typed my service tag in on the Dell website and it said I needed a firmware update for my Blu-Ray RW, I installed it and my drive instantly died. Now it has no light and will not open or close when pressing the button, I disconnected and reconected the drive it and it's recognised in the BIOS and in My Computer but still no power...can it be fixed?

:(

Sounds like a bad flash, was it definitely a firmware update? Can you link to the download of the file or give your laptop model number?

I'm assuming you have tried to reflash using the Dell utility? If your drive still detects in BIOS that's probably a good sign. If your laptop is still under warranty maybe give Dell support a call and see what they suggest. If no go then maybe start looking into ways to reflash the firmware on your device, such as MTKFlash.

Samara

Ok, I recently bought a new Pc, and was not so trusty of the salesman. Im not buying an antivirus for 100/year.

Anyway, How do I "System Recover" so I dont lose my PC or whatever? I mean I made a restore point, is it not the same thing?

Dougald

Samara said:
Ok, I recently bought a new Pc, and was not so trusty of the salesman. Im not buying an antivirus for 100/year.

Anyway, How do I "System Recover" so I dont lose my PC or whatever? I mean I made a restore point, is it not the same thing?

Um, do you mean how do you reinstall Windows? Use the restore disc which came with the machine. If it didn't come with one you should have had the option to create one on setup. System Restore is not the same thing, it is helpful only as a tool to resolve problems with the machine which you cannot track down, and is usually used to revert system settings to a configuration a few days beforehand

Dougald

SuperSonic1305 said:
I have Windows 7 64 bit and 6 gigs of RAM however it says only 4 are usable. Any way I can check what the problem is?

You are likely using 32-bit Windows which only supports 4gb. See This Link for more info. Unless you have legacy hardware with only 32-bit drivers, there is no reason to not run 64-bit these days

Edit: you sure that's 64-bit? Should say in computer properties

2mdro0x.png

Chris R

SuperSonic1305 said:
I have Windows 7 64 bit and 6 gigs of RAM however it says only 4 are usable. Any way I can check what the problem is?
Try going into your motherboard's BIOS to enable Memory Remapping.

Anyone know why I hear static in my music (winamp) whenever I load a new page in Chrome. Haven't tested other browsers as it's my work computer but it's bugging me.

Okay maybe someone can help me here.

I've got two computers, an Asus Netbook with XP and a PC with W7. My PC is hooked into my router by Wire and my netbook is connected via Wi-fi.

I haven't had a problem up until recently. Now whenever my computer is on, my Netbook is prone to disconnecting or if it is connected, it's very slow and sluggish to load webpages.

I was looking around on the net and found it that it was possibly a Windows 7 conflict with my old D-Link Router/XP Netbook. It has no firmware to upgrade being kinda old and officially unsupported. I read that disabling Windows 7 Homegroup helps, and it did... a little. Is there anything else I can try? Seeing as how I've had this Router issued by Verizon FIOS for a few years now, what would be the proper way to get a new one. Something about Verizon being able to officially "recognize" it and whatnot.

Sup, guys. Printer problem. I'm getting errors when I try to print a black and white document.

This is the error message: "Ink Info Number : 1688 The following ink has run out. "Color<CL-41>" Replace the ink cartridge."

I'm using a Canon MX310 printer. I still have black ink, how can I force it to print anyways?

I just upgraded my CPU, in my naive haste I chucked the quad core in without putting on thermal paste- hoping that what is applied to the heat sink would suffice. I guess not as it shut down after a few minutes.

I put the dual core back in, and now it's running super hot. I'm going to get some thermal paste in a few hours but the computer stores here suck balls and I doubt I will be able to get arctic silver. Is there a good alternative I should look out for?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Visualante said:
I just upgraded my CPU, in my naive haste I chucked the quad core in without putting on thermal paste- hoping that what is applied to the heat sink would suffice. I guess not as it shut down after a few minutes.

I put the dual core back in, and now it's running super hot. I'm going to get some thermal paste in a few hours but the computer stores here suck balls and I doubt I will be able to get arctic silver. Is there a good alternative I should look out for?

Even Best Buy has a "house brand" nowadays - Dynagen or some crap like that. It'll suffice till you get your AS5.

suffah said:
Even Best Buy has a "house brand" nowadays - Dynagen or some crap like that. It'll suffice till you get your AS5.
BestBuy is awesome, our PC superstore in the UK sucks and doesn't tend to stock shit like this, it's not listed on the AS site. And the local PC stores suck since the good one shut last year.

Besides I'm not the kind of person who will buy AS especially, I just want it to run and then I'm not taking it apart again.

Flambe

Internet connection problems yaaaaaaaaargh.

Symptom. Okay so randomly while I'm playing games online or even just browsing the web, my Network adapter pops up with the little yellow warning sign and I lose internet. It usually only lasts 10-15 seconds, but sometimes lasts until I ipconfig /release and /renew or disable/enable my Adapter.

I'm guessing it's something to do with my old-ass motherboard (and unsupported drivers for the most part) and Win 7 but maybe not.

I don't think it's my router as it happens when I try a direct connect from my cable modem.

Asus P5N32-E SLI.

I've updated the Nforce Networking Controller with following properties:
Flow Control: disabled
Checksum offload: enabled
and the normal stuff

I've also tried the following fix:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Disable SNP in Windows 7 by setting Registry as following:
Note: Please perform a full-system backup first.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
EnableTCPChimney=dword:00000000
EnableTCPA=dword:00000000
EnableRSS=dword:00000000

Sumbitch keeps dying though

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
problem with ITUNES since updating.

the program can't connect to the itunes store, and gives me the following message when it tries to do so:

"itunes could not connect to the itunes store. the network connection timed out.
make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again."

i presume this is a firewall problem, but even after adding itunes to my windows firewall exception list, the error occurs. i read that i may also need to add "BONJOUR SERVICE" to the list of exceptions, but this was already present on my list; has something changed since the itunes update to make the firewall continue to block itunes?

i uninstalled everything related to norton, which was in complete disuse in my computer anyway. i have AVG antivirus installed, and ad-aware, but neither seems to have any sort of firewall up that can add itunes as an exception.

what's the story here!?

(._.)

Banned
beelzebozo said:
problem with ITUNES since updating.

the program can't connect to the itunes store, and gives me the following message when it tries to do so:

"itunes could not connect to the itunes store. the network connection timed out.
make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again."

i presume this is a firewall problem, but even after adding itunes to my windows firewall exception list, the error occurs. i read that i may also need to add "BONJOUR SERVICE" to the list of exceptions, but this was already present on my list; has something changed since the itunes update to make the firewall continue to block itunes?

i uninstalled everything related to norton, which was in complete disuse in my computer anyway. i have AVG antivirus installed, and ad-aware, but neither seems to have any sort of firewall up that can add itunes as an exception.

what's the story here!?
I can't give you much help but try going to apple and re-downloading your copy of iTunes. When you run the package their is a repair option for the install. I have no idea if it will work or not but I was having some major problems with the new iTunes and what I did fixed it for me.

I am also having a problem with youtube which is extremely annoying. Videos seem to be loading much slower than usually. When they do load half of the content seems to have already been loaded. This happened to me last year. I tried everything from reinstalling flash to firefox but nothing would work. I ended up reformatting and that did it. What should I do?

It took around fifteen seconds before this started playing and it was fully loaded when it started. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

madmook

pistolpete2940 said:
I just recently acquired an emachines EM250-1162 netbook loaded with windows 7 starter. I can not for the life of me figure out how to change the wallpaper. wtf
I believe that's one of the nerfs to Win7's "starter" edition: locked wallpaper. Though you can try googling to see if there are ways around it.

(._.)

Banned
(._.) said:
I can't give you much help but try going to apple and re-downloading your copy of iTunes. When you run the package their is a repair option for the install. I have no idea if it will work or not but I was having some major problems with the new iTunes and what I did fixed it for me.

I am also having a problem with youtube which is extremely annoying. Videos seem to be loading much slower than usually. When they do load half of the content seems to have already been loaded. This happened to me last year. I tried everything from reinstalling flash to firefox but nothing would work. I ended up reformatting and that did it. What should I do?

It took around fifteen seconds before this started playing and it was fully loaded when it started. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM
I'm still encountering this problem. It is doing it worse now it seems. What should I do? I really don't want to reformat.

I run Windows XP at work. I've been out of the office for a week and when I turned on my computer this morning, a new Silverlight update was waiting for me to install. Not even sure if I need it, but it never hurt before so I ran it. I'm up to date on updates.

Now the Office 2007 converter no longer works. I don't have Office 2007 but people regularly send me docx files, so I need to be able to open them. It worked 2 weeks ago when I was in the office last.

Maybe I'm not searching the right terms, but google isn't giving me anything. I uninstalled and reinstalled Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System, restarted, but still getting error message.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ugh, ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled Compatibility Pack one more time, this time with no restart, and now it works. No clue why it stopped working but whatever.

EDIT 2: It stopped working again....haven't done anything, except that my network connection went down for a minute. When I reconnected, I couldn't open docx files anymore. I dunno, I'm too sick to deal with this today.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So... I get 30/30 wired in my room on my my computer and me dad's 2 year old notebook computer. When I turn wireless on with my 7ish year old wrt54gs linksys router(tomato firmware 1.21), it drops to 22Mbps standing right in front of it. It drops down to 15mbps with the door closed and a few rooms away upstairs. The desktop downstairs only gets 5Mbps with a Asus wl-330ge repeater/bridge plugged into the network card.

985boi

Here is my problem with iTunes.

Whenever I download a podcast, 30-40 percent of the time the completed file would either go into the "Downloads" folder(usually for podcasts still being downloaded or incomplete files). It's like the file has been corrupted. Sometime I would have to download 3 or 4 times.

Okay, so I recently decided to try and get Connectify/wireless hotspot running from my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine. Had to do the following:

1. I have a wireless card that is not compatible directly with Windows 7 (WMP54G). I download the RT 2500 RA Link drivers and successfully install it.
2. Install Connectify. It finds my card, I set up the access point, but I can't connect to it. I notice it says "No AP Mode Support", which means (I think) my card can't act as an access point, but can act as Ad Hoc, I just need another internet connection
3. At this point, I go to Network & Sharing control panel>click "Change Adapter settings", and I only have a wireless connection.
4. My Windows 7 network connection icon in the task bar has a red X...but I am connected to the internet. I can surf pages, it says I am connected, no network problems, but my "Local Area Connection" icon is MISSING from the Network control panel.
5. Backtrack: uninstall wireless card, uninstall RA Link drivers, uninstall Connectify. No luck.

iFJlj.png

Ideas? :(

My webpages never fully load anymore. GAF for example, I have to hit refresh a few times for all the avatars and gifs to load. This didn't happen until I got this Belkin N150 POS. Specifically it is the f6d4230.

I get connection errors all the time on my PS3 when streaming. Specifically the 2104 error. I can't figure out what's wrong with this thing. I think it's time to get another router but I just got this thing three months ago.

Question: I have comcast and have their modem. The modem would restart itself periodically and it seems like it is caused by too much traffic for the modem. If this is true, do you guys recommend getting a better modem? And what would that be?

THanks

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Got a 2TB WD Sata HDD today from newegg. When I install it, it is not recognized on my PC. I only see my 1st HDD and my DVD drive. I checked through the Manage option on my computer and it doesnt appear on my bios. Did I just get a faulty hdd or am I missing something? Thanks

AcciDante

So, my dad told some lady that I'd wipe out her virus infested laptop, saving only her itunes library, and reinstall their shitty anti-virus software. I have no windows 7 disk, but I remember hearing that dell includes restore software in a hidden partition or something.

How do I go about this gaf? :(

DeathNote said:
So... I get 30/30 wired in my room on my my computer and me dad's 2 year old notebook computer. When I turn wireless on with my 7ish year old wrt54gs linksys router(tomato firmware 1.21), it drops to 22Mbps standing right in front of it. It drops down to 15mbps with the door closed and a few rooms away upstairs. The desktop downstairs only gets 5Mbps with a Asus wl-330ge repeater/bridge plugged into the network card.
The highest theoretical speed you can get with wireless-g iirc is 27mbps because 54mbps refers to simultaneous upload and download (those sneaky bastards). So yeah, your internet is faster than your router. 27mbps is the fastest possible, but that's under the most optimal conditions. You will have to upgrade to N if you want wireless faster than that.

edit: fyi, to get wireless-n speeds and range, every single device on the network must operate at wireless-n. If a single device is at g or b speeds, the entire network slows to that speed. Yeah, it sucks. :(

Flambe said:
Internet connection problems yaaaaaaaaargh.

Symptom. Okay so randomly while I'm playing games online or even just browsing the web, my Network adapter pops up with the little yellow warning sign and I lose internet. It usually only lasts 10-15 seconds, but sometimes lasts until I ipconfig /release and /renew or disable/enable my Adapter.

I'm guessing it's something to do with my old-ass motherboard (and unsupported drivers for the most part) and Win 7 but maybe not.

I don't think it's my router as it happens when I try a direct connect from my cable modem.

Asus P5N32-E SLI.

I've updated the Nforce Networking Controller with following properties:
Flow Control: disabled
Checksum offload: enabled
and the normal stuff

I've also tried the following fix:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

Disable SNP in Windows 7 by setting Registry as following:
Note: Please perform a full-system backup first.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
EnableTCPChimney=dword:00000000
EnableTCPA=dword:00000000
EnableRSS=dword:00000000

Sumbitch keeps dying though
Does it say that the same IP address is used by multiple devices? I used to get that all the time when the PS3 would go online. If so, your router sucks at assigning dynamic IP addresses. That's okay, just give all your devices static IP addresses and use IP addresses that are outside of the DHCP IP address range for your router in the router settings.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Corran Horn said:
Got a 2TB WD Sata HDD today from newegg. When I install it, it is not recognized on my PC. I only see my 1st HDD and my DVD drive. I checked through the Manage option on my computer and it doesnt appear on my bios. Did I just get a faulty hdd or am I missing something? Thanks

Hooked it up to a external usb drive and now it sees it on Computer management but when I try to Initialize the disk it says: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Boned?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
The highest theoretical speed you can get with wireless-g iirc is 27mbps because 54mbps refers to simultaneous upload and download (those sneaky bastards). So yeah, your internet is faster than your router. 27mbps is the fastest possible, but that's under the most optimal conditions. You will have to upgrade to N if you want wireless faster than that.

edit: fyi, to get wireless-n speeds and range, every single device on the network must operate at wireless-n. If a single device is at g or b speeds, the entire network slows to that speed. Yeah, it sucks. :(
Interesting. :/

I'm ok with only being able to get 27mbps max.

But, the notebook only gets 22Mbps inches away from the router with nothing else connected.

Would a new router not improve the speeds since mine is so old?

I really only care about the desktop getting 6Mbps in the basement. In the basement, the notebook gets 11Mbps directly connected to the wireless router. The desktop is in bridge mode through a access point that is acting as a repeater. The desktop should get better speeds than the notebook since the AP is supposed to strengthen the wireless signal? :/ My phone can't connect directly to the router for shit but it can connect to the repeater great.

AcciDante

AcciDante said:
So, my dad told some lady that I'd wipe out her virus infested laptop, saving only her itunes library, and reinstall their shitty anti-virus software. I have no windows 7 disk, but I remember hearing that dell includes restore software in a hidden partition or something.

How do I go about this gaf? :(

Anyone?

Vyer

AcciDante said:
I don't know about hidden, sometimes you can see the partition in Windows.

I think the boot key combo is something like crtrl+f11 usually.

Though I've found systems who have frequent virus issues have been restored before (often deleting the restore partion) or the partition itself has been corrupted.

Hey guys, I recently bought a 360 slim 4gb. I wasn't aware that without a hard drive I wouldn't be able to use the replay features in Halo or Forza. Now I've read that I'm able to configure an external hard drive for music and such, but will it also work for the theatre feature in Halo? Thanks

I currently have 2gb of RAM in my system.

I'm looking to get 2gb more.

I currently have this "OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Platinum XTC Memory Kit CL4 "

What do I need the other 2gb to be so its compatible, just make sure its ddr2 800mhz?

Top Bottom