• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I'm on a Windows 7 laptop and I'm curious if there's any other way to lower the brightness of my screen? I already lowered the brightness as much as possible from the power settings option that's always on the bottom right of my laptop, but my monitor is still too bright for me.

jdogmoney

My phone [Motorola Q 9c] has stopped allowing me to compose text messages. Menu selection stuff is also really slow. I've deleted all cookies, temp files, and history from the browser, and I think it helped a little bit, but I can't be sure, and I still can't text freely. Do I keep deleting stuff to free up processing power? What are my options?

I assume a hard reset would solve the problem, but I really don't want to lose all of my contact information again...

NH Apache

Banned
Hydranockz said:
Would an AV cable like this work with a laptop like this or would that be doing something else entirely?

Nope. The VGA port on your laptop is an output, not an input. Same with your HDMI port.

You need a USB TV Tuner card with composite or S-video in like one of these.

Here in lies the problem though. The most you will ever get out of the video is 480i. As far as I know, there is no USB input system with HDMI or VGA or component in, which is what you would need for HD video.

So you will be regulated to SDTV, and it will look fairly shitty on your laptop. Sorry for the bad news. I looked through newegg.com which would be one of the first people to carry a cool device like an HD input device, but no dice.

Domino Theory said:
I'm on a Windows 7 laptop and I'm curious if there's any other way to lower the brightness of my screen? I already lowered the brightness as much as possible from the power settings option that's always on the bottom right of my laptop, but my monitor is still too bright for me.

What kind of laptop? For me, I can use the Fn (Function key) and up or down arrows. It is laptop dependent for the shortcut AFAIK.

jdogmoney said:
My phone [Motorola Q 9c] has stopped allowing me to compose text messages. Menu selection stuff is also really slow. I've deleted all cookies, temp files, and history from the browser, and I think it helped a little bit, but I can't be sure, and I still can't text freely. Do I keep deleting stuff to free up processing power? What are my options?

I assume a hard reset would solve the problem, but I really don't want to lose all of my contact information again...

VZW? Go to the store and they will a) backup your contacts and b) determine if it is the phone.

If freeing up space helped, the device might be full. Maybe delete or transfer some old pictures. IIRC, you are running Windows mobile 6 and can check free space under options? There is only 256 MB rom and this is limiting you I believe. But remember, you pay your cell phone company for a reason. Make them earn their pay.

But seriously consider ditching the phone. You should be close to an upgrade date if you used your discount to get it.

NH Apache

Banned
These are a bit old, but maybe you guys are still looking around...

Massive Nights said:
Problem here with Windows 7 and using the 360 as a media extender. I set it up recently (Media Centre is pretty useless by the way) and found afterwards that every single one of the files in My Pictures and My Music is now locked to me. When I go into any folder it displays this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/mysterytramp/permission.jpg[IMG]

And the every single file has a small padlock symbol on it, like this:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/mysterytramp/music.jpg[IMG]

Is there a way to get rid of this without going into every individual folder and changing the permissions?[/QUOTE]

Control Panel->Users-> Are you listed as an administrator?

[QUOTE=Dmncnby2k9]Hey guys, Im having problems with my labtop. The battery is not charging. It just stopped working. The piece where the charger seems like its loose. Should i take it to the repair shop or buy a new charger?
Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

Do you have a multimeter kicking around? Insert the red inside the charger circle (if circular) and the black on the outside. It should read 12+ volts. If it doesn't, it is the charger. If the charger is functional, you are either looking at a bad battery or port. The battery is expensive (about 100 :( ). The charging port would be a pain in the ass to fix and would cost $$$.

Go to Radioshack. They will be happy to test the charger for you, if you are short a multimeter. If the charger is good, you can order a returnable battery through them and test that. If it isn't the battery, return the purchased one and pony up for a bit of service.

[QUOTE=Shiv47]Okay, here's my problem: I have a self-built PC into which I was trying to install a second hard drive. I connected everything up and when I tried to start it, the computer wouldn't power up at all. Had a friend look at it, and he got it to power up, but the motherboard will not post. Everything appears to be getting power, it just won't post. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Power supply issues? How big is your power supply and how much crap do you have in there (PCI devices, HDrives, etc....)

If it was a simple jumper issue, you would at least get power on and BIOS.

NH Apache said:
Well, it looks like you have eliminated the possibilities down to BIOS or hardware failure. Usually, you have to have a windows environment to update the BIOS. But I'm leaning toward the hardware failure. This could explain the blue screen during recovery. Laptop or desktop?

It's a desktop. I was figuring it must be something HDD related or BIOS perhaps, don't think it could be anything else, but figuring out what it exactly is at this point seems to be the hard part. Doing the BIOS first I would assume be the easiest but not sure how one goes about reinstalling or flashing the bios

NH Apache said:
Nope. The VGA port on your laptop is an output, not an input. Same with your HDMI port.

You need a USB TV Tuner card with composite or S-video in like one of these.

Here in lies the problem though. The most you will ever get out of the video is 480i. As far as I know, there is no USB input system with HDMI or VGA or component in, which is what you would need for HD video.

So you will be regulated to SDTV, and it will look fairly shitty on your laptop. Sorry for the bad news. I looked through newegg.com which would be one of the first people to carry a cool device like an HD input device, but no dice.
Cheers ;) I am really not all that fussy playing in SD though. I've been playing on CRT that had the worst glare ever (anything white would have a green shadow and anything dark was just the worst to see :p). Thanks for the tip though.

NH Apache

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
It's a desktop. I was figuring it must be something HDD related or BIOS perhaps, don't think it could be anything else, but figuring out what it exactly is at this point seems to be the hard part. Doing the BIOS first I would assume be the easiest but not sure how one goes about reinstalling or flashing the bios

Pretty easy actually. Go to your Motherboard website, download the latest Bios for your board. Run the exe in a windows environment and tada!

If it is still crazy, the bios should have some basic hardware tests for your hard drive and memory. Try those out and see if you get anything. But if you are getting issues on the Bios screen, which is before the Hard drive is even accessed, it may be a motherboard, memory, or video card issue.

Hydranockz said:
Cheers ;) I am really not all that fussy playing in SD though. I've been playing on CRT that had the worst glare ever (anything white would have a green shadow and anything dark was just the worst to see :p). Thanks for the tip though.

No worries. Back in the day, we weren't allowed to have tvs at my boarding school. I survived however by throwing a tv card in my desktop and rocking my N64 and goldeneye until the very early hours in the morning.

Hugbot

I'm not currently at home to try out solutions but I figured I'd post now since I've been forgetting for months, that way when I get home I can test out possible solutions and see if anything works.

I am having a super weird router issue I just can't figure out. When my modem is connected to the router via the "Internet In" port I can't see the internet with any of the network devices. To get the internet I have to plug the modem into the router in one of the 4 "out" ports, at which point my wireless network works and my computer connects, but any other device connected through a wired connection will not connect. To play online with my xbox, for example, I end up having to plug it directly into the modem. This has happened with a replacement router my friend had lying around as well as a new fresh-out-of-packaging router, so I know that it isn't a hardware issue with the router itself.

I'm on DSL, and I've called their tech support several times with no resolution. I'd love to jump ship and get cable with a company that has competent tech support, but unfortunately my complex is contracted with them. I can answer questions about my setup before I get home, but any possible solutions I haven't already tried will have to wait for the evening.

NH Apache

Banned
Hugbot said:
I'm not currently at home to try out solutions but I figured I'd post now since I've been forgetting for months, that way when I get home I can test out possible solutions and see if anything works.

I am having a super weird router issue I just can't figure out. When my modem is connected to the router via the "Internet In" port I can't see the internet with any of the network devices. To get the internet I have to plug the modem into the router in one of the 4 "out" ports, at which point my wireless network works and my computer connects, but any other device connected through a wired connection will not connect. To play online with my xbox, for example, I end up having to plug it directly into the modem. This has happened with a replacement router my friend had lying around as well as a new fresh-out-of-packaging router, so I know that it isn't a hardware issue with the router itself.

I'm on DSL, and I've called their tech support several times with no resolution. I'd love to jump ship and get cable with a company that has competent tech support, but unfortunately my complex is contracted with them. I can answer questions about my setup before I get home, but any possible solutions I haven't already tried will have to wait for the evening.

Many DSL modems are routers too! You are doubling up on DHCP, this is why when you plug into one of the computer ports (making the router a switch and not assigning IP addresses) your network works. This is also why it happened with your friend's router too.

When you get home, just to double check, give us your model number for the modem, but this should be the cause of the issue.

Edit: Wait, the wireless ends up working and not the wired? Either way, we'll need that modem number.

NH Apache said:
Pretty easy actually. Go to your Motherboard website, download the latest Bios for your board. Run the exe in a windows environment and tada!

If it is still crazy, the bios should have some basic hardware tests for your hard drive and memory. Try those out and see if you get anything. But if you are getting issues on the Bios screen, which is before the Hard drive is even accessed, it may be a motherboard, memory, or video card issue..

I will have to see if I can get to some form of windows environment to run the exe, since it's crashing at boot after reading the two cd/dvd drives (which it will read discs from), but as soon as it gets past that it crashed and requires restart.

Hugbot

NH Apache said:
Many DSL modems are routers too! You are doubling up on DHCP, this is why when you plug into one of the computer ports (making the router a switch and not assigning IP addresses) your network works. This is also why it happened with your friend's router too.

When you get home, just to double check, give us your model number for the modem, but this should be the cause of the issue.

Edit: Wait, the wireless ends up working and not the wired? Either way, we'll need that modem number.
The wireless and a single wired connection will work but I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll give you the # and try with just a switch when I get home.

NH Apache

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I will have to see if I can get to some form of windows environment to run the exe, since it's crashing at boot after reading the two cd/dvd drives (which it will read discs from), but as soon as it gets past that it crashed and requires restart.

Yikes. If you are lucky, you can hopefully find a linux version on the MB website and possibly install using an Ubuntu Live CD.

Or, use this. It creates a windows type environment which should allow you to run an exe off the other CD or USB. It also has a bunch of handy utilities. I personally use the Linux version when shit hits the fan.

Hugbot said:
The wireless and a single wired connection will work but I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'll give you the # and try with just a switch when I get home.

The thing is that if you plug into just the 1-4 ports and ignore the internet port, the router becomes a switch. In fact, you should be able to disable DHCP by going to the router homepage. The problem is that all ethernet ports should work if it was this issue.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BattleMonkey said:
Well this is a repost from another thread but figure this is a better place for this:

Alrght having a possessed PC that I'm trying to completely clean out. It had gotten viruses and I replaced it, so I was going to clean it out and possibly give it away. Anyways I tried the system image recovery disc it came with, and it blue screened during the process and it wouldn't work after that. So I went with a clean install and using the windows disc I had the system format and do a clean windows install. The process went through and upon restarting after the boot it just gives a disc read error and won't do anything. I can try reinstalling windows again but it keeps doing the same error.

A few times on boot the boot screen also goes bonkers and some of the characters on the screen become colored, letters changed, and even some ACSII characters like little smiley faces or such appear on the boot screen in place some of some characters, but it only does this randomly.

I don't know what the heck is going on with this possessed system, figured the format and clean install would have fixed it as it has always in the past.

This may honestly be indicative of hardware failure. Have you tried something like an Ubuntu LiveCD or LiveUSB drive? If you can boot into Ubuntu and use it normally, then there may be hope as in the hard drive might be irrecoverable but the pc otherwise fine. If not even that works, it could be the motherboard, which would be bad of course :(

Cuu

perryfarrell said:
(This is a Windows 7 PC.)

* Random Internet Explorer pop-ups were appearing on my screen.

* I ran Malwarebytes and it found a 'trojan.agent' file in the Recycle Bin. I chose the option 'fix the problem'.

* Now my computer won't boot. The screen turns black when I try to boot. I can't boot in safe mode either (for some reason, pressing F8 doesn't give me the option to start in safe mode.)

* I have ubuntu on a flash drive, I also have a CD with a very minimal XP install. But obviously it's difficult to edit the non-active HD registry using these boot methods (and even if I could, I wouldn't know what to edit...)

I've experienced this problem before, but I forgot what I did to solve it.

Wow - same shit is happening to me. I had IE popups, I removed the virus, "loader.exe" and now my computer wont boot.

Now I put Ubuntu on a live USB, and I can't get it to boot either. It will boot, but then the video will go blank after it starts to load. Ugh.

Cuu

Sorry for DP.

BUT,

I just went through Vaio's system restore after backing all of my stuff up to another computer through Vaio's file recovery.

Yet still, nothing happens after the VAIO screen at the beginning. I can only enter set-up and the recovery console. It doesn't seem to reach Windows anything. Can't boot or boot to safe mode.

I can only think of two things that could have caused this.

a) I had it plugged into an hdtv via HDMI and when I removed it, it crashed causing me to hard-reset.
b) I did have the virus above: "loader.exe" which caused IE pop-ups, lots of CPU usage. Maybe they destroyed my boot settings?

Linux-Mint and ubuntu wouldn't boot for me, they both went blank after the loading screens.

NH Apache

Banned
Cuu said:
Sorry for DP.

BUT,

I just went through Vaio's system restore after backing all of my stuff up to another computer through Vaio's file recovery.

Yet still, nothing happens after the VAIO screen at the beginning. I can only enter set-up and the recovery console. It doesn't seem to reach Windows anything. Can't boot or boot to safe mode.

I can only think of two things that could have caused this.

a) I had it plugged into an hdtv via HDMI and when I removed it, it crashed causing me to hard-reset.
b) I did have the virus above: "loader.exe" which caused IE pop-ups, lots of CPU usage. Maybe they destroyed my boot settings?

Linux-Mint and ubuntu wouldn't boot for me, they both went blank after the loading screens.

Sounds like you need to reset bootmanager or grub, depending on your choice. You have Windows and Ubuntu installed?

You can use the utility I posted above as a boot cd or the linux version if you want...or if Vaio supplied you with a disk (doubtful). I'm surprised you can't even boot off a live CD or USB?

Edit: If you can get into recovery console, access the command prompt and use:

bootcfg /scan

bootcfg /rebuild

This should restore bootmanager. See here for more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

If that doesn't work, get back into recovery and use the fixmbr command, check the link for more info.

Hi tech thread - pc just powered off while using it as if the power to my house had been cut. Hit the power button to turn it on, light flashed, no beeps or anything, for about half a second, no juice. Gotta be the power supply right?

Subsequent tries to get it to turn on give me nothing.

McNei1y

Gaf:

I am in the process of buying computer pieces for a desktop I am going to create over the weekend. My question I have for you is: How can I install Windows 7 onto my hard drive without an operating system (and disc). I have a keycode to install it but I am curious how I get a file and how I go about installing it.

Thanks in advance.

Hugbot

NH Apache said:
The thing is that if you plug into just the 1-4 ports and ignore the internet port, the router becomes a switch. In fact, you should be able to disable DHCP by going to the router homepage. The problem is that all ethernet ports should work if it was this issue.
It officially doesn't work with just a switch there, regardless of how many other things are plugged in. It's a Zhone 6211-I2-200-0GC.

corn_fest

McNei1y said:
Gaf:

I am in the process of buying computer pieces for a desktop I am going to create over the weekend. My question I have for you is: How can I install Windows 7 onto my hard drive without an operating system (and disc). I have a keycode to install it but I am curious how I get a file and how I go about installing it.

Thanks in advance.
Like, you bought an ISO of Windows 7? Then you could use this to install it.

An unrelated problem: I'm trying to rip a DVD with Handbrake and it's using 0% CPU and encoding at about 1 fps. I have a Core i7 920. Any ideas?

NH Apache

Banned
Hugbot said:
It officially doesn't work with just a switch there, regardless of how many other things are plugged in. It's a Zhone 6211-I2-200-0GC.

6211-I2-200 ADSL2+ CPE Router (Broadcom), 10/100BaseT, N.A.

Oh yeah, it has dhcp built in. So, go into your wireless router..usually 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 or something (you probably know) and disable DHCP (should be under networking). Make sure you are in the access panel for your router and not the modem.

Other than that, you may have to call or email Zhone directly.

corn_fest said:
Like, you bought an ISO of Windows 7? Then you could use this to install it.

An unrelated problem: I'm trying to rip a DVD with Handbrake and it's using 0% CPU and encoding at about 1 fps. I have a Core i7 920. Any ideas?

Try just simulating the write (should be an option I think). Same problem?

elrechazao said:
Hi tech thread - pc just powered off while using it as if the power to my house had been cut. Hit the power button to turn it on, light flashed, no beeps or anything, for about half a second, no juice. Gotta be the power supply right?

Subsequent tries to get it to turn on give me nothing.

Yup. Or overheat. Did it come back on after a few? Or totally toast?

McNei1y said:
Gaf:

Thanks in advance.

I'm not ignoring you, I just don't know. If you have a legit key, try to borrow a non manufacturer copy or contact Microsoft? Don't torrent one, it won't work.

Edit: OOPS, already answered much more succinctly.

My dad recently got his laptop infected with the Anti-virus gt virus. He doesn't have any anti-virus programs on his laptop, and can't download any due to the virus hijacking the internet; when I had him go to Malwarebytes he wasn't able to for instance.

I know the last option is re-installing Windows, but is there anything I can do first?

posted this in the "stupid question that don't deserve its own thread" didnt know there was a tech support thread

thanks in advance :D

I just got a new laptop today (Compaq Presario CQ62-231)
and it came with useless programs that clutter the hard drive and make it slow.
random programs like HP helper :lol
How do i permanently delete programs? I know that simply deleting the programs doesnt permanently delete it. There's another step i think

also whats the best free anti virus/virus protection program to download? is it in that program thread on this site?

NH Apache

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
My dad recently got his laptop infected with the Anti-virus gt virus. He doesn't have any anti-virus programs on his laptop, and can't download any due to the virus hijacking the internet; when I had him go to Malwarebytes he wasn't able to for instance.

I know the last option is re-installing Windows, but is there anything I can do first?

Safe mode with networking? Hold F8 on boot.

If that doesn't work, Malwarebytes does not have a bootable CD but Avira does.

Get Avira AntiVir Rescue System from this page: http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

Its bootable so you burn it, then use it to boot off (just put it in the cd drive off reboot). I hear it does a pretty good job.

friskykillface said:
posted this in the "stupid question that don't deserve its own thread" didnt know there was a tech support thread

thanks in advance :D

I just got a new laptop today (Compaq Presario CQ62-231)
and it came with useless programs that clutter the hard drive and make it slow.
random programs like HP helper :lol
How do i permanently delete programs? I know that simply deleting the programs doesnt permanently delete it. There's another step i think

also whats the best free anti virus/virus protection program to download? is it in that program thread on this site?

Just use Control panel....it will take care of it.

Anti-Virus: Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes as needed.

For the record, I also use Ccleaner (registry/temp files cleaner) and Auslogics disk defrag as well to keep my PC up to speed.

hermit7

So my mom dropped something on her computer monitor, and it is screwed. Now I know it is not likely covered by her warranty but I am looking for an estimate for how much it will cost to fix.

The model number is VPCF12JFX/B. Screen size is 16.4 inches and has 1080p resolution.

clav

hermit7 said:
So my mom dropped something on her computer monitor, and it is screwed. Now I know it is not likely covered by her warranty but I am looking for an estimate for how much it will cost to fix.

The model number is VPCF12JFX/B. Screen size is 16.4 inches and has 1080p resolution.
$200-$300 for just the part.

Firefox's Flash plugin is fucked. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both FF and Flash, nothing works. I tried all the fixes on Mozilla's site. Every single bit of Flash content crashes.

HELP

EDIT: Never mind. Stupid me, uninstalling without cleaning the registry. I'm dumb.

itxaka

Defeatist
So I got a laptop with a 9300M gs and a dual core 2Ghz.

The stupid thing just shut off lately due to overheating and it seems there is nothing I can do.

Half an hour with a game and it shuts down.

I opened it and cleaned everything, including the fans in case they were slowed down by dust, got a fan base in order to keep it cooler and change the win7 energy management to the lowest possible but it still shuts off.

Only thing I could think of left is to change the thermal paste for the cpu but what happens if the problem is on the gpu? Is it easy to change the paste as the cpu?

Also, pretty strange that if I boot on Linux and play via wine it nevers shut down. I know it throttles the cpu as I can see it on the system logs, ut isn't it strange that it won't shut down on linux but on w7 will do it easily?

Any other tips so I can play something for more than 30 minutes on it?

Thanks!

P.S.: Temps are around 90ºC for both the cpu and gpu during maximum performance, probably the CPU gets higher, around 94/96ºC

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Modern GPUs get that hot, but that's fucking WAAAAAAYYYY overboard for your CPU. I'm honestly surprised it even runs still.

Something is fucked from the manufacture it sounds like. I'd call and see what they can do verses trying to fix it yourself. This sounds like something that would easily be covered under even the lame 1 year warranties that companies give out.

Your CPU shouldn't be rolling over mid to high 60s MAX. I know some laptops run hot, but gosh damn son! :lol :lol :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:
Modern GPUs get that hot, but that's fucking WAAAAAAYYYY overboard for your CPU. I'm honestly surprised it even runs still.

Something is fucked from the manufacture it sounds like. I'd call and see what they can do verses trying to fix it yourself. This sounds like something that would easily be covered under even the lame 1 year warranties that companies give out.

Your CPU shouldn't be rolling over mid to high 60s MAX. I know some laptops run hot, but gosh damn son! :lol :lol :lol

I know, the thing goes around 64 when idle or browsing and such, but the moment I start something that requires a bit of power it just shoots up itself 30ºC. It's fucking insane.

nfortunately it's out of warranty so there is nothing I can do with the manufacturer, that is why I'm asking about any home tips to fix this shit. 6 months ago it worked perfectly, never had a temp issue so I guess on my travels something got moved because the fans are working as expected.

Teknoman

Not sure whats causing this, and I cant seem to find any solutions on the net that would solve this problem. Installed a new phenom II X4 processor and motherboard a few days ago, turned on my 360 today, and it fails to detect my PC on the network altogether.

I dont think its my firewall/virus scanner since I disabled everything, and it still wont show up on my 360. Media center syncing with the system works just fine, and my PC even picks up the system under media sharing options. My PS3 isnt picking up my PC on the network either.

The system still picks up other PCs in the house, so i'm guessing upgrading my cpu and motherboard could be part of the problem? Or could it possibly have something to do with reactivating windows? Everything worked just fine before upgrading.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured out how to reset DRM, and it made my PC pop up again on all console networks.

Just come across a bizarre networking issue. My PC would always connect to via the same IP address that I had given it via the router. I have 11 devices hooked up so each one has been assigned it's own. Anyway for some reason tonight my PC has decided to start connect with the IP of a different network device. I have just adjusted the settings in windows to override and connect at the correct address for the time being. Any idea why this would suddenly happen?

Ashhong

itxaka said:
I know, the thing goes around 64 when idle or browsing and such, but the moment I start something that requires a bit of power it just shoots up itself 30ºC. It's fucking insane.

nfortunately it's out of warranty so there is nothing I can do with the manufacturer, that is why I'm asking about any home tips to fix this shit. 6 months ago it worked perfectly, never had a temp issue so I guess on my travels something got moved because the fans are working as expected.

Buy a new aftermarket heatsink?

itxaka

Defeatist
Ashhong said:
Buy a new aftermarket heatsink?

There are on sale for laptops? I have changed a few ones on desktops, but never on a laptop. I thought that a lot for them were "custom" so it would be difficult or expensive to get another one.

All of a sudden, whenever I try to use Chrome my laptop locks up and requires a hard boot. I've searched and found that it's pretty common but I can't find any fixes for it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the freezing persists. I've since downloaded SRware Iron, which is based of Chrome but I'd rather use Chrome. This ONLY happens when launching Chrome. I usually get about 30 seconds of use until it locks up.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

xrich

Banned
is there any program to see what is bottlenecking my computer when playing games? I have an E7400 and a 512mb Radeon HD4870. I found a good deal for a 1gb 4870 and am wondering if its worth it. If my CPU is bottlenecking me then its obviously not worth it, but if its the vid card....

Any ideas?

xrich said:
is there any program to see what is bottlenecking my computer when playing games? I have an E7400 and a 512mb Radeon HD4870. I found a good deal for a 1gb 4870 and am wondering if its worth it. If my CPU is bottlenecking me then its obviously not worth it, but if its the vid card....

Any ideas?

Sure it's not your PSU? What wattage is it. Also what RAM are you using?

Gaf:

Thanks in advance.

Wait what? You put in the disc and boot from it. The windows installer will then run. You basically need to format your drive and then it should do the rest.

xrich

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Sure it's not your PSU? What wattage is it. Also what RAM are you using?

Wait what? You put in the disc and boot from it. The windows installer will then run. You basically need to format your drive and then it should do the rest.

I have a Corsair 550w which i was told previously in this thread was more than fine. I had problems before with my PC freezing up ever since the Starcraft 2 beta, but its stopped freezing.

I have 8gb of DDR2-800 ram, so I think im covered there. only 4gb is ever getting used :lol So yea, it's either my GPU or CPU that needs to be improved. I figured GPU since its only 512mb, but any opinion is welcome

Baconbitz

Banned
I'm using a HP all-in-one 7210xi printer. I just recently networked it through the control panel. Anyways being that its a "all-in-one" it has a scanner. Now, I've run the HP driver to try to get the scanner to work. My problem is that when I run the driver it finds the printer but, can't connect to it. This computer is running Windows 7. Is there a separate option in the control panel to setup a scanner also?

Aesthet1c

Baconbitz said:
I'm using a HP all-in-one 7210xi printer. I just recently networked it through the control panel. Anyways being that its a "all-in-one" it has a scanner. Now, I've run the HP driver to try to get the scanner to work. My problem is that when I run the driver it finds the printer but, can't connect to it. This computer is running Windows 7. Is there a separate option in the control panel to setup a scanner also?

Scanner's usually require some kind of software to function. HP printers come with software called something along the lines of "HP Solution Center". If that isn't currently installed, then it will need to be.

Now when you say you can't connect to it, does that mean you can't connect to the printer or scanner? or both? Also, how is the printer connected to the computer? Over your network or through USB? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the scanner doesn't work over the network.

Baconbitz said:

You need to get the "twain" driver too. The driver you got is just for the printing function. Go to their site and look for the scan driver.

jdogmoney

My laptop screen broke. I'm using a CRT monitor to be able to use my computer, and it was working great until about twenty minutes ago. It just...stopped, and the light on the monitor went from green to yellow, like my laptop was asleep, when it wasn't. I tried unplugging the cable and a "Please check your cable" message, so I don't think it's the monitor.

I rebooted to safe mode (with networking) and the monitor works, no problem. I tried normal mode and it didn't work. I tried safe mode again and it works again, so here I am.

Baconbitz

Banned
Aesthet1c said:
Scanner's usually require some kind of software to function. HP printers come with software called something along the lines of "HP Solution Center". If that isn't currently installed, then it will need to be.

Now when you say you can't connect to it, does that mean you can't connect to the printer or scanner? or both? Also, how is the printer connected to the computer? Over your network or through USB? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the scanner doesn't work over the network.
Well if you read my post it says I'm on the network. Second of all considering The_Inquisitor said there are two drivers I guess this is the printer driver and I guess that doesn't matter since I already am connected to the printer over the network.

Edit: I just got home from work and looked it up and it doesn't look like they have one for the scanner part.

Baconbitz

Banned
jdogmoney said:
My laptop screen broke. I'm using a CRT monitor to be able to use my computer, and it was working great until about twenty minutes ago. It just...stopped, and the light on the monitor went from green to yellow, like my laptop was asleep, when it wasn't. I tried unplugging the cable and a "Please check your cable" message, so I don't think it's the monitor.

I rebooted to safe mode (with networking) and the monitor works, no problem. I tried normal mode and it didn't work. I tried safe mode again and it works again, so here I am.
If possible try your monitor on something else like a video game system to make sure it isn't the monitor.

NH Apache

Banned
Baconbitz said:
If possible try your monitor on something else like a video game system to make sure it isn't the monitor.

It works in safe mode, so the monitor works.

you should be able to use the FN button on your laptop to switch between screens. Does this do anything?

Also, can you see the boot screen when you reboot on the CRT? Then it goes black after the OS loads?

Top Bottom