• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

taylor910

Need a hand with this bizarre problem. Ill try to be as concise as possible.

On an PC running XP I built a basic excel spreadsheet in office 2010 that uses hyperlinks to navigate through multiple sheets. Clicking link A takes you to sheet A, B to sheet B, C to sheet C, etc.

I need it to work on my coworkers Mac with OSX 10.5 running Office for Mac 2008. Link A works fine, while links B and C do not. The error returned is "invalid location" or something like that.

Trouble is I have another Mac running OSX 10.6 and Office 2008, and all the links work perfectly fine on it.

Both Macs are current with updates. I'm just at a loss. Anyone? Please?

Also, there are a lot more than 3 links, so I don't want to remake the spreadsheet.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I was playing DAoC the other night and out of nowhere my display distorts and freezes. I reboot hoping it's a one time phenomenon but no such luck. I've found that either loading a game or video causes my computer to undergo this problem within a short amount of time, however when the computer's cold it'll take a minute or two longer to happen. This leads me to believe that whatever's happening occurs once things heat up a bit. I can only assume that this is my graphics card deciding that it needs to retire but I was hoping people could offer their expert opinion. Doing minimalist tasks such as web browsing haven't been giving me troubles.

8800gt 512 graphics card
fully updated windows 7 64
q6600 quad

Ok, I just built a computer. Specs are here:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz
MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W
Sapphire Radeon 5770 1GB

Every once in a while when my computer boots up, it boots to an MSI screen and then says, "Hyper Transport sync flood error occured on last boot." And then it says to press F1 to resume. I've looked for possible reasons, but found no specific thing to do. Any ideas?

Binabik15

Hey guys.

I had my computer hooked up to my lcd tv via HDMI from the graphic card´s (Radeon 5850) HDMI output.

Just now I switched the cable with another, longer cable and plugged everything back in. No more sound. Do I have to replace the cable? I have a hard time with this whole pc to tv setup, I´m not well versed in desktop stuff after using my laptop for so long :lol

I´ll try it again with the old cable, but I´ll have to finish installing Crysis, downloading Windows updates first and then carry the pc back to it´s old place, because the old cable is only 1,5 metres. Sigh.

Edit: Works after a simple reboot, but Crysis doesn´t. God damn that game.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Okay I need some help.

I'm using an HP Pavilion dv6 Windows 7 laptop and I turned down the brightness to its lowest possible setting, but it's still too bright for me. Is there anywhere else I go to in order to lower the brightness even more?

Barrett2

What is the simplest program to create a single page document with some text and a few bar graphs?

I was in the process of using Word to make a single page report template. No problem; I have a nice heading, and three sections with a simple grid on the left, and to it's right a simple bar or pie graph. I save my progress, and the next morning need to add one final graph to finish the thing. When I tell Word to add another graph, the graph prompt it brings up is some ridiculously old looking graphic. This is what it looks like. How in the Hell do I get Word to stop this? I just want to use the same modern style of graphs it was using, not this old-timey shit. For some reason it changed the default graph image to something from 15 years ago.

nmdp2s.jpg

ryuen

Having trouble connecting to XBLive with my current network setup (Motorola SBG 900 modem & Apple Airport Extreme router). Tried connecting the modem straight to the 360, but I got an error about the MTU settings.

Any ideas on what I can do? I've tried to Port Forward, but I'm pretty sure I'm fucking up with setting up a Static IP. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

gblues

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Got a question.

I've installed Windows Virtual PC for Win 7, and used it to install a virtual Win98SE machine to run Realms of the Haunting (old Gremlin horror/FPS/adventure/point n' click game, it's very good). So far so good, I've got it up and running and it all works just fine. But Virtual PC is only running in windowed mode, How is babby formed do I make it run in fullscreen mode? I tried googling for a solution, but only found some jibbajabba about hosts and guests and activating remote desktop stuff or whatever.

Also, the Wikipedia article on Virtual PC mentioned that it should be possible to adjust the memory used for the graphics card used by the virtual Win 98 (adjusting it from 4 MB up to 16 MB video ram). Where can I do this?

Edit: I found out how to run the Windows desktop in fullscreen mode, but the game still runs in windowed mode. How fix?

Virtual PC for Windows 7 is a stripped down version of Virtual PC 2007 which is itself a piece of shit. Get a real virtualizing software package like VirtualBox. Bonus: VirtualBox can use VPC disk images.

Once you get the VM set up, you'll want to load the guest additions and then go into the VM settings and enable 2d/3d acceleration. It sounds more complicated than it is. VirtualBox is awesome and pretty easy to figure out.

FrancisH

Help Gaf!

Right so I was just about to install Ubuntu on my desktop PC that I built a few years ago so I restarted but didn't see the post screen (never usually saw it) so I switched DVI ports to see if one of them would show the post screen (I thought I read somewhere that this may be the problem). Anyway after trying all 4 DVI ports (SLI 8800GTS) none of them would show the post screen and now I cant even see the login screen.

I was going to see if I could just use VGA but I don't have that port on my PC. The PC plugs into a 1080p monitor.

I have dismantled most of the PC, tried 1 video card, 2, 1 stick of RAM, reset the CMOS jumper, took out the battery but I only ever got to windows repair one time and thats it.

I didn't think that just changing DVI ports could cause this much hassle as it never has before. Any suggestions?

The PC is a 680i LT Mobo with a C2D E6420, 4GB RAM and 2 8800GTS 320MB. I've been searching around the internet and read different things but not sure where to go from there.

If it's any help there is a orange blue and green light on the mobo that is staying solid when the PC is turned on.

Edit: It's working now... I just reseated everything and now its fine... :) Sorry!

subrock

can someone explain how this works to me?

I want to upgrade my HD in my asus f6v-a1 laptop and I need to know a few things.

1. what size HD do I need? is there a standard size for laptops?

2. how do I go about preparing the HD to install? I had thought about connecting it via esata cable before installing in the computer and formatting and installing win 7 but I dont know how that will work when I switch it to the connector inside the computer. or should I install in internally and format and install windows as the new primary drive and just copy stuff over from the old drive?

3. what connector does the HD use internally?

any light to shed would be great.

edit: after researching a bit this is what I have figured out: need a sata to esata cable, any sata HDD should work, leaning towards the seagate momentus with the 32 gig SSD portion. I'll just install it and install win 7 fresh and then move everything over. just so I dont fuck anything up on the existing drive.

subrock said:
can someone explain how this works to me?

I want to upgrade my HD in my asus f6v-a1 laptop and I need to know a few things.

1. what size HD do I need? is there a standard size for laptops?

2. how do I go about preparing the HD to install? I had thought about connecting it via esata cable before installing in the computer and formatting and installing win 7 but I dont know how that will work when I switch it to the connector inside the computer. or should I install in internally and format and install windows as the new primary drive and just copy stuff over from the old drive?

3. what connector does the HD use internally?

any light to shed would be great.

edit: after researching a bit this is what I have figured out: need a sata to esata cable, any sata HDD should work, leaning towards the seagate momentus with the 32 gig SSD portion. I'll just install it and install win 7 fresh and then move everything over. just so I dont fuck anything up on the existing drive.
Shit, I just went through and answered all your questions, then I got to your edit and realized you already had all the answers. :lol

subrock

Haha, sorry about that. I swear I was going to wait for an answer, it just got stuck in my craw and I had to find the answer myself :D

One question you can answer, possibly 2: do I need a separate power cable to power the internal drive when it's outside of the computer?

What size Philips screwdriver is standard on most computers?

lawblob said:
What is the simplest program to create a single page document with some text and a few bar graphs?

I was in the process of using Word to make a single page report template. No problem; I have a nice heading, and three sections with a simple grid on the left, and to it's right a simple bar or pie graph. I save my progress, and the next morning need to add one final graph to finish the thing. When I tell Word to add another graph, the graph prompt it brings up is some ridiculously old looking graphic. This is what it looks like. How in the Hell do I get Word to stop this? I just want to use the same modern style of graphs it was using, not this old-timey shit. For some reason it changed the default graph image to something from 15 years ago.

nmdp2s.jpg

That last graph seems to be from Word pre 2007. But more importantly why are you doing tables and graphs in Word? I usually use Excel for that and then just copy/paste them to a word sheet. It's tons faster and better IMO.

HELLPPP!!!!!

So I bought an iomega 1TB USB 2.0 External HDD for my Apple iMac running the latest version of OS X. I hooked up the drive and it didn't quite detect what I was expecting. In Disk Utility it listed the drive as 15.28 EB (EB?). First thing I thought is that it might simply be a formatting issue. Makes sense, so I try to format it to Mac format (Journaled). The format failed. I tried doing the same thing but under partition. I selected 1 paritition and MAC format (journaled) still fails. I think I've tried every combination of formatting/partitioning you can try. All of them failed.

I brought the drive into work to try it on my PC here. Fails completely as well. It initially detects the drive and tries to install it but the drive does not mount. I went into "Manage" under My Computer and the drive isn't even there.

I had dealing with iomega tech support so I'm asking you first.

Aesthet1c

DoctorWho said:
HELLPPP!!!!!

So I bought an iomega 1TB USB 2.0 External HDD for my Apple iMac running the latest version of OS X. I hooked up the drive and it didn't quite detect what I was expecting. In Disk Utility it listed the drive as 15.28 EB (EB?). First thing I thought is that it might simply be a formatting issue. Makes sense, so I try to format it to Mac format (Journaled). The format failed. I tried doing the same thing but under partition. I selected 1 paritition and MAC format (journaled) still fails. I think I've tried every combination of formatting/partitioning you can try. All of them failed.

I brought the drive into work to try it on my PC here. Fails completely as well. It initially detects the drive and tries to install it but the drive does not mount. I went into "Manage" under My Computer and the drive isn't even there.

I had dealing with iomega tech support so I'm asking you first.

I'm sorry I can't help you on the Mac side of things, but since it's external if you can get it working through Windows, it should work for the Mac as well.

So you went to "Manage" and the drive doesn't show up at all under "Disk Management"? If there is nothing there, does it show up under your device manager? If it's in your device manager but not under disk management, you can try uninstalling it from your device manager and rescan and let it reinstall. If all that fails, you can try booting into a disk partitioning tool, like Acronis or Partition Magic and see if one of them are able to recognize the disk.

Aesthet1c said:
I'm sorry I can't help you on the Mac side of things, but since it's external if you can get it working through Windows, it should work for the Mac as well.

So you went to "Manage" and the drive doesn't show up at all under "Disk Management"? If there is nothing there, does it show up under your device manager? If it's in your device manager but not under disk management, you can try uninstalling it from your device manager and rescan and let it reinstall. If all that fails, you can try booting into a disk partitioning tool, like Acronis or Partition Magic and see if one of them are able to recognize the disk.

Would an external hdd show up under "disk drives" in Device Manager? I'm not seeing it there at all. I think bootable partitioning software is my next option.

Event Viewer says it detected a bad packet. That's why it didn't mount. I'm definitely going to need a bootable partition program.

MechDX

Stupid question but........I accidentally put Google into compatibility mode on Windows 7. I hate the old look how do I switch it back?

MechDX said:
Stupid question but........I accidentally put Google into compatibility mode on Windows 7. I hate the old look how do I switch it back?
You mean Google Chrome? Find it in the Start menu and right-click it and go to Properties. Then go to the Compatibility tab and uncheck everything.

Vestal

DoctorWho said:
Would an external hdd show up under "disk drives" in Device Manager? I'm not seeing it there at all. I think bootable partitioning software is my next option.

Hmm.. USB drive? is it under removable devices?

Burger

OK I need some help. I was getting random BSOD's on my Windows 7 box (64bit). So I grabbed a blank HDD, unplugged all the others, and did a fresh install. I installed the latest nVidia drivers and the latest driver for my X-Forte sound card.

The only other updates I installed were the recommended Windows updates.

I'm still getting BSOD's, the thing is though, the errors are random. The last 3 were:

Code:
Bug Check String:		Bug Check Code:		Caused by driver:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT		0x0000001a		ntoskrnl.exe
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION	0x0000003b		nvlddmkm.sys
(BLANK)				0x00000109		ntoskrnl.exe

So that's what I mean by randomised. 3 different BSOD's within about 30 minutes of each other. I ran the Windows memory tester which didn't find any errors, but I don't know how reliable that is. I might run Memtest when I get home for several hours.

Can anyone else think of anything? It has to be hardware right? And if it's hardware it's likely to be memory right? Thanks in advance.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I tried to flash my bios, bricked my pc, then I flashed it back to a working one. Pretty sure it's the same.

But, I can't get my internet to load.

Windows firewall looks weird.
i0Xvr.gif

Default is unchecked but it seems like you should check them?

Edit: Or maybe I'm having a brain fart and all that's for a server?

Burger said:
OK I need some help. I was getting random BSOD's on my Windows 7 box (64bit). So I grabbed a blank HDD, unplugged all the others, and did a fresh install. I installed the latest nVidia drivers and the latest driver for my X-Forte sound card.

The only other updates I installed were the recommended Windows updates.

I'm still getting BSOD's, the thing is though, the errors are random. The last 3 were:

Code:
Bug Check String:		Bug Check Code:		Caused by driver:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT		0x0000001a		ntoskrnl.exe
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION	0x0000003b		nvlddmkm.sys
(BLANK)				0x00000109		ntoskrnl.exe

So that's what I mean by randomised. 3 different BSOD's within about 30 minutes of each other. I ran the Windows memory tester which didn't find any errors, but I don't know how reliable that is. I might run Memtest when I get home for several hours.

Can anyone else think of anything? It has to be hardware right? And if it's hardware it's likely to be memory right? Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure what graphics card you have, but check this link.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
enzo_gt said:
My windows explorer crashes and restarts every half an hour to an hour, and even more frequently when running full screen applications. Running Vista SP2. Additionally, when it crashes, my system tray's icons all disappear even though they're still there when you hover over them. I got a script that temporarily fixes it by deleting the Past Icon stream and restarting Windows explorer, but I'm sure as hell not doing that every half hour.

I have searched the internet forever for a cure, and can't find one, so I challenge you, TechSupportGAF.
Quoted again for bump to see if anyone can help :'( Its a major distraction and prevents me from playing games fullscreen because of the frequent crashes :(

TechGAF!

I want to downgrade iTunes from 10.x to 9.2.1. I have the 9.2.1 file and I've seen some tutorials online, but they seem murky especially in regards to keeping the library and iPod relationships intact.

This would be on a Mac with the latest version of Snow Leopard.

Thanks!

Mercury Fred said:
TechGAF!

I want to downgrade iTunes from 10.x to 9.2.1. I have the 9.2.1 file and I've seen some tutorials online, but they seem murky especially in regards to keeping the library and iPod relationships intact.

This would be on a Mac with the latest version of Snow Leopard.

Thanks!
Couldn't you just uninstall 10.x, then reinstall from the 9.2 file? Then you could just import your music folder back into itunes

Barrett2

Using Windows XP, how do I recover a Word Doc I accidentally closed without saving? I had the document open for a few hours, so I assumed it auto-saved at some point? :/

Salazar

Hi,

I'm on a MB Pro, running Mac OS X 10.6.3.

I am running Pages 08.

I have a bunch of documents in Pages I want to attach to an email (Gmail). They are grey and unselectable when I browse for them.

Any ideas ? I have to send them as Pages documents.

Edit: Fixed.

LakeEarth

I'm trying to use Virtual Dub to compress my videos (first time using it), and the divx compressor will not show up on the list even though its been installed. I found this thread (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24305) but my registry doesn't have the divx .dll on the list at all. But when I check my list of video decoders (using Windows Media Player), its there. So I'm clueless.

Oh and Windows 7.

Also, whats a good free screen capture program out there? FRAPS is max 30 seconds which just isn't enough.

lawblob said:
Using Windows XP, how do I recover a Word Doc I accidentally closed without saving? I had the document open for a few hours, so I assumed it auto-saved at some point? :/
Well, if the power gets turned off I know it will often save a working copy but if by accidentally closed you mean it said, 'are you sure you want to close without saving' and you said yes then you may be screwed.

Baconbitz

Banned
HELP! I'm on a Windows 7 laptop. I'm on the 32 hit version. I've recently downloaded Sonic fan remix, 7 zip, and Join.me from log.me.in. Anyways I'm having an error. This error reads "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." the reason I'm telling you of the recently downloaded stuff is because from my research the error is caused by Visual basic c++ and these are the only three programs that I have downloaded as of recently that I think could be causing it. Also of note is that I've changed boot order so I can boot via my DVD drive because I have my Windows 7 disk in there. I've tried restoring it from a previous point using the disk, and restoring it by trying to fix the software issue. None of which have worked. Mind you I don't know to much about visual basic c++.

Got a home network problem. Sporadically throughout the day, our computers will lose all connection to the net; trying to go to a site stays at "Looking up host," Steam says "No connection." It seems to fix itself after 10-30 seconds but it's really annoying. We thought this was a problem with our router but we bought a new one, a Linksys WRT160N and it still happens, to both wired and wireless computers (although I still suspect it's a router problem). How can I troubleshoot this?

Also, I've noticed the problem seems to be aggravated right after downloading a large torrent; if the download was fast (>2MBps) it happens much more frequently for a while after that. No idea why that would affect it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Has to be the modem or the router. See if you can keep an eye on the modem or router lights when this happens.

I've had many routers do this. Are you torrenting? A lot of routers have trouble handling so many connections at once. Installing dd-wrt on your router could fix the issue.

edit: I see the problem is related to torrents. Yeah it's probably still the router. dd-wrt may fix the issue. If not, then you'll need to get a router with more RAM (Asus RT-N16) and put dd-wrt on it.

Sad to say, but stock firmware really sucks on most routers.

Dr.Acula

Banned
faceless007 said:
Got a home network problem. Sporadically throughout the day, our computers will lose all connection to the net; trying to go to a site stays at "Looking up host," Steam says "No connection." It seems to fix itself after 10-30 seconds but it's really annoying. We thought this was a problem with our router but we bought a new one, a Linksys WRT160N and it still happens, to both wired and wireless computers (although I still suspect it's a router problem). How can I troubleshoot this?

Also, I've noticed the problem seems to be aggravated right after downloading a large torrent; if the download was fast (>2MBps) it happens much more frequently for a while after that. No idea why that would affect it.

Call your ISP and ask them to do a line check?

Howdy. Having blue screen issues on a new install of Windows 7. I've the latest drivers fresh for ATi, and I ran driver doctor and got the 7 updates that Windows update caught. This issue was on the previous version Windows I had so I'm not sure what is going on with that.

In 24 hours I've had the same 5 crashes. I was advised the first thing to do is check out the crashdumps

On Thu 28/10/2010 07:16:31 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA80062F3050, 0xFFFFF80000B9C518, 0xFFFFFA8007E36B10)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102810-25802-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Any advice on where to go from here? Additionally my GPU never picks up the right monitor resolutions, and once in a blue screen crashes I am sure I saw a reference to atimsytsh or something like that. It happens most when I'm playing a game but not exclusively.

phalestine

aka iby.h
faceless007 said:

by wired do you mean wired from router -> PC or Modem -> PC? if its the latter its definitely your router, but playing with a few settings should fix the problem. Let me know which it is, I can tell you what settings to fix.

lawblob said:

what version of Office are you running?

if you click on the office button, on the right side it shows recent documents, see if its there. this is for 2007, not sure if its the same for 2003

Have a professor with a Lenovo T500 laptop running Windows 7 32bit that is connected to a projector that keeps losing it's connection.

VGA cable was swapped (at her demand) and the problem still exists. It disconnects after about 5 minutes. It's not a dual GPU or anything. I'm starting to think it's the drivers? I've looked around the lenovo boards but have not seen any similar issues, even called their support line just to ask if this is a known issue or not and they had no answer.

Thanks for any help.

Reseil

user friendly said:
Have a professor with a Lenovo T500 laptop running Windows 7 32bit that is connected to a projector that keeps losing it's connection.

VGA cable was swapped (at her demand) and the problem still exists. It disconnects after about 5 minutes. It's not a dual GPU or anything. I'm starting to think it's the drivers? I've looked around the lenovo boards but have not seen any similar issues, even called their support line just to ask if this is a known issue or not and they had no answer.

Thanks for any help.

Is she doing the presentations while the laptop is plugged in or running on battery?

Sounds like a setting in presentation mode or a power setting is killing it.

Reseil said:
Is she doing the presentations while the laptop is plugged in or running on battery?

Sounds like a setting in presentation mode or a power setting is killing it.
I thought it was something like that so I made sure that the setting for both battery and AC adapter were the same. No sleeping or anything like that. She is running presentations.

Will try the windows key + X. Thanks :)

Zenith

Banned
Getting graphical artifacting on boot-up, BIOS, safe mode...

WinXP SP3
Athon AMD 64 Pro dual core
Ma-790X gigabyte mobo
4096Mb RAM
Nvidia 8800 GT
Jeantech Storm 700W

I was doing a big download that finished whilst I was playing a game. Normally when this happens it alt-tabs to windows and chugs as it tries to copy the data and run the game at the same time. This time artifacts covered the screen and then it froze. Still no biggie. I hit reset and now artifacts are present throughout every stage. All the text is artifacting, there are 4 big lines running down my display, desktop icons seem unaffected. Not sure how it relates but when I go to shutdown the option for Standby is grayed out.

The graphics card isn't brand new but it's not exactly old either. I tried taking it out and putting it back in, updating the drivers in safe mode. Didn't help.

Fatalah

Fatalah said:
I have a major annoyance with my Aspire One -- the brightness level never stays put. I want the screen to always bootup to the brightest setting.

I actually installed Windows 7 in hopes Microsoft's settings would prevail - but no dice.

This all may be rooted to the BIOS -- is there a simple solution here? Is there an Acer brightness utility that can fix this?

Solution: I updated the BIOS. Upon reboot, the set brightness now remains the same. Woohoo!

linkboy

Here's a dowsey.

The wife was playing WOW on her desktop about a week ago when it just shut off and wouldn't come back on. I initially suspected the power supply (since nothing will come on at all), but she ran the computer to Best Buy (yea, I know, was her idea) and it was failing the POST test right after the ram checked good (could even access the BIOS). Naturally the guy had no idea and just said it was the motherboard. He could find the model of the motherboard (was under the graphic card, he didn't bother to look).

We ordered a new power supply and I'm going to give that a shot when I get home tomorrow. We also got a new motherboard, so if it comes down it, I'm just going to install that.

I'm not at home right now so I don't have detailed specs, but off the top of my head, here's what I got

Its a CyberPower PC running AMD x64 Dual Core CPU, 4GB of RAM, a (dead) 420w PS and a 500GB HDD.

I figured this is a crapshoot since it could be anything. I really hope I can get this machine back running for her. She moved up here to Montana in May and its the only thing she brought with her of any value.

Also, I want to learn Linux (been putting it off for years), what would be the best way to do it, and the best Distro (Ubuntu probably). I'd probably end up triple booting my MacBook Pro (or just drop my Windows partition in general). How would I go about installing Linux on a MacBook Pro.

Edit

It was the power supply, stupid Best Buy moron. Put the new PS in and the computer booted up perfectly fine.

phalestine said:
by wired do you mean wired from router -> PC or Modem -> PC? if its the latter its definitely your router, but playing with a few settings should fix the problem. Let me know which it is, I can tell you what settings to fix.
All PCs are connected Cable modem -> Linksys WRT160N -> PCs

daoster

So I have a problem:

I have a Seagate FreeAgent 250gb. I'm trying to back up my my music folder on my Windows 7 x64 computer. It takes an extremely long time to actually back up the music file (I left it running for 1.5 hours, and still had 45 gigs left to transfer of a 48 gig file...). Then I start getting this error code (0x800704D)

I've transferred files from my external to my PC...which also takes an excruciating long time. Hell, it also takes an excruciating long time to access the actual external Hard Drive on Windows.

When I hook it up to an Ubuntu-powered laptop, however, I can quickly access and transfer files from and to the external though.

Anybody know what's up?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Is there a way on a Vista PC to see what programs, if any, are taking up bandwidth? Lately I'm getting a ton of latency and disconnects in online games, I thought it was my router at first but I still get it even when my PC is plugged directly into my modem. I don't have any bit torrent or P2P stuff open either, I'm wondering if it's some trojan, even though i've run checks with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Monitor-GAF, help!

I have a Dell U2311H and Asus VG236H 3D/120hz monitor and I'm having a sudden problem with the Asus. I've had it for over a week now and I just moved...for some reason after reconnecting my PC I'm experiencing resolution issues.

Basically, Nvidia control panel keeps defaulting to "HD" mode which sets the monitor to 1920x1080, 60hz. However, when I try to set it back to "PC" mode, 1920x1080, 120hz, the screen resolution looks awful. Like, worse than 800x600 awful. Text is unreadable and the games look really poor.

I really have no idea what's causing it...it was perfectly fine 2 days ago so the only thing I can think of was maybe it was damaged in the move, despite how careful I was. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks...

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hello, GAF. I need some help. Earlier I was playing Poker Night and my computer just shut down right in the middle of gameplay. Now when I turn it back on, my HD4890 has its fan on full blast (ridiculously loud) and nothing is displayed on my monitor. I've never had a problem like this for the year that I've had the card so I don't know what to do. ATI/AMD's site didn't really help and I don't want to try to RMA it yet. Anyone have an idea?

Baconbitz

Banned
Not every song on iTunes has the right album. Some songs don't even have album covers. I'm too lazy to go through every song to pick out the ones with the right covers and the ones with the wrong covers and or none at all. Is there an addon to iTunes that doesn't replace iTunes and finds all the right album art?

Top Bottom