• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Binabik15

Binabik15 said:
2 problems here.

1) my stupid brother and his girlfriend dropped the family external hd yesterday (both of them...) and now it doesn't show up on explorer anymore, not on my pc, not on his. Both have W7. I can find it under the hardware managet tool and it claims to be working just fine. I can also see it under the USB menu for safe ejection and disconnect it. I want to be able to access it, though.

2) My pc is hooked up to my tv and goes to the interwebs via a belkin usb wifi stick, since I can't get a cable there for a couple of reasobd. Worked well enough until recently when the stick wad used on another pc. Now it's super slow, hell, I'm typing this on my smartphone since the pc wouldn't finish the custom search for this thread. Drivers are still the same, same network, it just doesn't work well anymore. Download speed is normal IF it ever gezs going.

Halp.

Nobody can help? That´s a bummer.

I have new problems:

3) Fraps(?) is acting crazy, there´s always their yellow FPS counter shown in games, even though I closed Fraps. Screenshot function etc doesn´t work. I even de-installed Fraps and there´s still this yellow counter in-game.

4) CrossFire is disabling itself(?) in Catalyst Control Center, at least it was disabled yesterday, I enabled it and played BF3 campaign, now it´s disabled again. Now when I booted the pc several times, this showed up:

[img=http://www.abload.de/thumb/atidriverr3k98.png]

I can´t close the error messages or deinstall Ati Tray Tools (I installed that two days ago for BF3).

Halp.

tci

Regarding the disk, it's probably dead. I think the reason you can see it is because of the controller is still working. The fall probably damaged the reading mechanism.

So on win7 on my netbook(acer aspire one) I just got this error message"you should consider replacing your battery" I know it's bullshit because I tested it on another OS and it was fine, I did a little research and it seems to be a common problem, I disabled the warning notification but I would like to have the ability to see the estimated time left on my battery, are there any fixes for this?

Vard

Speaking of Acer Aspire Ones (D150 model)... mine won't load past the Acer logo. After the logo appears, the only thing that shows up is a black screen with a white, blinking "_" cursor in the top-left corner.

I talked to Acer support and they said my only option is to reinstall the OS (Windows XP) from the recovery partition in my computer. I would lose all data that I didn't get a chance to back up though, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas? The hard drive is listed in the BIOS. I can't get into Safe Mode.

Edit- SOLVED! Used Ubuntu boot up on a USB stick. When I was in Ubuntu, ACER was listed as a device and I saw all my files on the hard drive. Plugged in an external hard drive to transfer files over. Will have to reinstall Windows (or use Linux), but at least I've got all files off my computer!

I made a thread a month or two ago, but the problem has resurfaced.

Awhile back there was a thunderstorm, a power surge, and my PC wouldn't turn on afterward. The indicator light on the back of the power source would blink green (with a loud and annoying clicking sound), but the system was unresponsive. I followed some advice and was able to 'jumpstart' the system, by unhooking the power source from the motherboard, then plugging the PC into the outlet and hooking the source back up. That fixed it for some time.

Recently there was another surge and the same thing happened, only this time the fix isn't working. Is it likely that the power source is completely dead, or are there any other quick fixes. Also anything I should know if I need to get a new power source? I know pretty much nothing about them.

Alucrid

Banned
Can someone please help me make sense of this shit?

So I have a Motorola Surf Board and Media Bridge N router. They're on the second floor of a three story house, I'm on the third using an xbox, a roommate is on the first using an xbox. Now for two months I've been using a powerline adapter to get wired connection in my room. I run that to a switch for the PS3/Xbox, then run it to another for my laptop and PC. No problems for the first two months.

Now I had problems connection to Xbox live. It wouldn't find the IP address when connected via ethernet, and it wouldn't connect wirelessly until I put a Mac address in there, even then I would get kicked off regularly. The thing is no computers would be affected by this. My desktop via ethernet still worked fine, my laptop via wireless worked fine, my PS3 via ethernet worked fine, and they all ran off the same source. I switched wires and all that just to be sure as well.

After being fed up with this I decided to move it to my room. Suddenly I have no problems connecting wired or wirelessly, neither does the xbox on the first floor. Could it have been something in the first environment? As in a power plug, the cable line, any thing like that? I really have no fucking clue.

eemijun

Neo Member
Quick question- I'm most likely going to be upgrading my PC in the next couple of days, getting a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. I currently have 3 hard drives in my computer, the first, I will have to format because i'm upgrading to windows 7 64 bit. My question is for my other 2 drives will those need to be formatted when I turn on my my pc again after the upgrade, losing all my data or is there a way to keep the data on them?

Jzero

eemijun said:
Quick question- I'm most likely going to be upgrading my PC in the next couple of days, getting a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. I currently have 3 hard drives in my computer, the first, I will have to format because i'm upgrading to windows 7 64 bit. My question is for my other 2 drives will those need to be formatted when I turn on my my pc again after the upgrade, losing all my data or is there a way to keep the data on them?
The one you're going to use for the OS is going to be formatted if you're clean installing it but you're going to be using the other two as slave drives then the data should still be usable.
Just to make sure, what kind of data is in the other two? pictures and documents? or programs?

famousmortimer said:
I used to tinker with desktops a bit (I've upgraded ram, gpus and power supplies). My gpu in my laptop just blew, what are the chances I can replace (or even upgrade :)) it?
Nope, you're pretty much screwed. Unless you want to replace the whole motherboard.

eemijun

Neo Member
Jzero15 said:
The one you're going to use for the OS is going to be formatted if you're clean installing it but you're going to be using the other two as slave drives then the data should still be usable.
Just to make sure, what kind of data is in the other two? pictures and documents? or programs?

All the data in the two drives are videos, pictures, music, and documents. So I should be fine?

JackEtc

Alright GAF, I usually know my stuff with computers, but this is annoying the SHIT out of me.

I don't know what the name of these windows are, but you know when you want to post a URL, or an image, or anything on a forum (like GAF)? And that little window pops up that says "Please enter the URL of your image:" or whatever, and you put it in, press okay, and then it inserts the formatted link and everything into your post.

Those windows are NOT working for me, on any site. It'll pop up, I'll paste the URL in, press okay, and then NOTHING. Nothing happens. It's really annoying me.

Using Google Chrome Beta, already uninstalled and reinstalled once.

Any clue what I can do to fix it?

I had a quick question.

When I boot up, I get this install window now.

It is asking me permission to to do a "Windows Host process Runddll32".

I ran anti-virus in Safe mode and nothing came up and the window is still popping up. Even when I cancel/close it, it quickly pops back up.

Is this a virus?

JackEtc

wolfmat said:
Turn on Javascript. Turn off script blockers.
Javascript was already turned on, but I deleted an ad I manually added in AdBlock yesterday.

Test

Seems like the URL code works now, but the IMG codes still don't work. None of the ones on reddit work. Anything else that I could do that might fix it?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
JackEtc said:
Javascript was already turned on, but I deleted an ad I manually added in AdBlock yesterday.

Test

Seems like the URL code works now, but the IMG codes still don't work. None of the ones on reddit work. Anything else that I could do that might fix it?
Maybe you have a rule for imgur.com in ABP. I'm saying that because it seems like that's the preferred image host on reddit. Check for that and delete it.

Edit: @@||imgur.com^$document is not problematic btw

Yeef

Having a web server issue that Google isn't helping me out with.

I use a default address (catch-all) email on my domain. It's a pretty common thing. For those of you not familiar with it, basically, it allows me to use [anything]@[mydomain] as an email address and it'll automatically forward it to my standard account (gmail, in my case). So, for example, if I'm signing up for an account on newegg I'd use newegg@[mydomain] as the email. This way, if I get spammed, I know who it is that's giving out my information and can react accordingly.

Anyway, a couple months ago my host removed the default address function for the package I'm signed up for (which is pretty shitty, since I paid for 3 year in advance, but whatever). I can still use forwarding accounts, which basically means I need to manually add any email I want to forward to my gmail account instead of having a catch-all. It's annoying, but I'm fine with it.

My issue is that I've used so many different emails over the years that I can't remember them all. I checked some of the ones I use a lot and they were all grandfathered in and still work fine even without manually creating a forwarder, so I assumed all was fine. Just the other day, though, I found out one of them was bouncing and, seemingly, wasn't grandfathered in. So now I'm wondering if there are any others that are bouncing.

To get to the point: is there any way to see if email was sent to a non-existent email addresses on your domain? Everything I'm finding on Google assumes that you know which email address I'm trying to check. I'm more looking to see a list of all the email addresses others have tried on my domain that have bounced.

I'm using a shared host that uses Cpanel, so I'm limited in what I have access to. I can SSH in though, if that's necessary.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
It depends upon which e-mail server you're using. Postfix logs bounced e-mails, for example.

Postfix, to be exact, has a running daemon called bounce. bounce has logfiles at these locations:
/var/spool/postfix/bounce/* non-delivery records
/var/spool/postfix/defer/* non-delivery records
/var/spool/postfix/trace/* delivery status records

So if you're indeed using postfix, then you might want to read those logs to figure it out.

Yeef

wolfmat said:
It depends upon which e-mail server you're using. Postfix logs bounced e-mails, for example.

Postfix, to be exact, has a running daemon called bounce. bounce has logfiles at these locations:
/var/spool/postfix/bounce/* non-delivery records
/var/spool/postfix/defer/* non-delivery records
/var/spool/postfix/trace/* delivery status records

So if you're indeed using postfix, then you might want to read those logs to figure it out.
It doesn't look like they're using postfix. Oh, well. Guess I'll try opening a ticket and seeing what tech support can do.

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help my brother out with this problem specific to his VAIO Laptop that has been bothering him for quite a while now. He bought a new Sony VAIO S Series PC, product code VPCSA21GX, a couple of months ago, and he's been finding lately that the graphics will not switch between integrated and discrete cards with the switch on top of his keyboard.

He tried to do this manually through Catalyst Control Center (comes pre-installed) and couldn't find any option to switch the graphics cards. When trying to open VAIO Control Center, a notification comes up saying "The Application was unable to start correctly (0XC000007B)." He has tried reinstalling, updating and installing past versions and all have failed to open.

He also has no ability to adjust brightness through use of the indicated function keys. However, the sound function keys do work so not all of them are refusing to work.

The lights for NUM LOCK and CAPS LOCK also do not seem to be working, even though the features work fine otherwise. SCRL LOCK works fine. Additionally, the BluRay eject button does not work.

Does anyone have any help they can offer? Any alternative programs to use? Or any other advice? Many thanks, and sorry for the long post; wanted to get as much detail as possible. :)

Jzero

Snarfington said:
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help my brother out with this problem specific to his VAIO Laptop that has been bothering him for quite a while now. He bought a new Sony VAIO S Series PC, product code VPCSA21GX, a couple of months ago, and he's been finding lately that the graphics will not switch between integrated and discrete cards with the switch on top of his keyboard.

He tried to do this manually through Catalyst Control Center (comes pre-installed) and couldn't find any option to switch the graphics cards. When trying to open VAIO Control Center, a notification comes up saying "The Application was unable to start correctly (0XC000007B)." He has tried reinstalling, updating and installing past versions and all have failed to open.

He also has no ability to adjust brightness through use of the indicated function keys. However, the sound function keys do work so not all of them are refusing to work.

The lights for NUM LOCK and CAPS LOCK also do not seem to be working, even though the features work fine otherwise. SCRL LOCK works fine. Additionally, the BluRay eject button does not work.

Does anyone have any help they can offer? Any alternative programs to use? Or any other advice? Many thanks, and sorry for the long post; wanted to get as much detail as possible. :)
Well to switch graphic cards he could disable/enable the right graphics card through windows' device manager

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How well does Windows 7 run with 1GB of RAM compared to XP?

I need a new hard drive and plan to install Windows 7 on my old PC until I can retire it, build a new one, and install the key on it with 100% different hardware.

Can you do that with the student upgrade? System Builder OEM? Or do I need retail?

Yeef said:
Having a web server issue that Google isn't helping me out with.

I use a default address (catch-all) email on my domain. It's a pretty common thing. For those of you not familiar with it, basically, it allows me to use [anything]@[mydomain] as an email address and it'll automatically forward it to my standard account (gmail, in my case). So, for example, if I'm signing up for an account on newegg I'd use newegg@[mydomain] as the email. This way, if I get spammed, I know who it is that's giving out my information and can react accordingly.

Anyway, a couple months ago my host removed the default address function for the package I'm signed up for (which is pretty shitty, since I paid for 3 year in advance, but whatever). I can still use forwarding accounts, which basically means I need to manually add any email I want to forward to my gmail account instead of having a catch-all. It's annoying, but I'm fine with it.

My issue is that I've used so many different emails over the years that I can't remember them all. I checked some of the ones I use a lot and they were all grandfathered in and still work fine even without manually creating a forwarder, so I assumed all was fine. Just the other day, though, I found out one of them was bouncing and, seemingly, wasn't grandfathered in. So now I'm wondering if there are any others that are bouncing.

To get to the point: is there any way to see if email was sent to a non-existent email addresses on your domain? Everything I'm finding on Google assumes that you know which email address I'm trying to check. I'm more looking to see a list of all the email addresses others have tried on my domain that have bounced.

I'm using a shared host that uses Cpanel, so I'm limited in what I have access to. I can SSH in though, if that's necessary.

The maillogs would likely have information as to when the messages had bounced, but if you're on a shared cPanel server I'm sure you don't have access to the maillogs.

EDIT: Derp, must read.

Anyway, it obviously depends on the exact cPanel server your host is using, and whether they're using exim (most likely) but I would see if their tech support could do something like this:

grep yourdomain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog

That'll search the logs for your domain, which should give you the times when someone sent to a user that didn't exist. The entry should say something like "User not here", before it bounced it. Also, that'll just grep in the mainlog, and I'm guessing they probably have them in a log rotate, meaning there should be some archived exim_mainlog's in there from previously, in which case they can do something like this:

zgrep yourdomain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog.*

That should search in any archived logs.

This is all only applicable if they will actually give you that info from the logs, and whether or not they're logging things to /var/log. But they should be able to do some grep's of your maillogs to get some info for you.

Also, that's really stupid that they disabled the catch all feature. Dumb.

Jzero

DeathNote said:
How well does Windows 7 run with 1GB of RAM compared to XP?

I need a new hard drive and plan to install Windows 7 on my old PC until I can retire it, build a new one, and install the key on it with 100% different hardware.

Can you do that with the student upgrade? System Builder OEM? Or do I need retail?

It runs pretty good, if you want it to run better just turn off Aero.
Not sure what you mean in your other questions.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Jzero15 said:
It runs pretty good, if you want it to run better just turn off Aero.
Not sure what you mean in your other questions.
Well, I want to install a W7 key on my old PC after I buy a new hard drive while I wait until I can build a new rig early next year and put the key on that.

I think the OEM/System Builders can only be used on one mobo or something?

And I think the student upgrade edition can be installed then re-installed on a new hard drive to bypass needing an older OS already on the hard drive.
http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx
It used to be 30$ but 65$ is still the cheapest.
But I'm unsure about the mobo restrictions or whatever.

My laptop suddenly shut itself off last night. It didn't shut down, but it simply turned off, like if you pull the plug on a desktop. I was using it in bed so I thought it must have overheated and left it to cool down. Now (the next day) it simply won't turn on. When pressing the power button there is no response from it at all. Also if I plug the the charger the light indicating it doesn't turn on. I've tried using it with another battery but it didn't work with that.
Tech Gaf what do you think??

Specs:
Toshiba Equim U-400
Intel Core 2 Duo
Can't remember how much ram (think 3 GB)
Originally Vista, upgraded to 7

Yeef

SenseiJinx said:
The maillogs would likely have information as to when the messages had bounced, but if you're on a shared cPanel server I'm sure you don't have access to the maillogs.

EDIT: Derp, must read.

Anyway, it obviously depends on the exact cPanel server your host is using, and whether they're using exim (most likely) but I would see if their tech support could do something like this:

grep yourdomain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog

That'll search the logs for your domain, which should give you the times when someone sent to a user that didn't exist. The entry should say something like "User not here", before it bounced it. Also, that'll just grep in the mainlog, and I'm guessing they probably have them in a log rotate, meaning there should be some archived exim_mainlog's in there from previously, in which case they can do something like this:

zgrep yourdomain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog.*

That should search in any archived logs.

This is all only applicable if they will actually give you that info from the logs, and whether or not they're logging things to /var/log. But they should be able to do some grep's of your maillogs to get some info for you.

Also, that's really stupid that they disabled the catch all feature. Dumb.
I sent a ticket to tech support and they just manually set up the default addresses for me on their end. It's baffling why they removed the default addresses option in cpanel if anyone can email them and have them set it up. but, it all worked out, so whatever.

Gallbaro

Banned
Performing some preliminary product and business planning.

BMF Ethernet Network
I have a descent amount of sites across Manhattan that I need to have network access to. So I will be putting up 14 or so Ethernet bridges (Point to point links).
Links will be used for a combination of:
-Remote electrical metering.
-Remote video monitoring.
-VOIP

Please, Some Direction On:
Since these are remote, but critical, wired network connections, how can I prevent unauthorized access at the device (RJ-45) level?

Small/Medium Business: Server(s) of Everything
Implementing OpenERP (with outside consultant), Asterisk PBX and Magento E-commerce
All instances will be on dedicated virtual machines
Debating the economic value of thin clients as some of our software is, intense...

Please, Some Direction On:
Failover options/methods, assuming we have a second sever, local or remote.
-Probably a broad topic, but the direction of an overview would be great.

Yeef said:
I sent a ticket to tech support and they just manually set up the default addresses for me on their end. It's baffling why they removed the default addresses option in cpanel if anyone can email them and have them set it up. but, it all worked out, so whatever.

It's dumb that they disabled it for the end user, but catch-alls can cause problems. They're spam magnets, since spammers often send to all sorts of random users @yourdomain. Also, if you're forwarding the catch all to another mail provider (Google or something) that can cause you to get blacklisted if you are getting a lot of spam. The server you're forwarding the mail to doesn't see the original sender of any spam you might be getting, but sees the spam coming from YOUR domain.

Still, I think it's stupid that they disabled it. *shrug*

sarcastor

2nfFB.jpg

my computer has been buggy for a while. i think it's the 8gb ram i got last month. firefox crashes randomly. and yesterday i start getting BSOD. like 8 times in two hours. So this morning i reinstalled windows7 x64. and I'm still getting BSOD.

I'm going to swap in my old memory to see if its the new memory. But jesus fucking christ. this is really fucking annoying. any suggestions?

ugh....

Jzero

sarcastor said:
http://i.imgur.com/2nfFB.jpg

my computer has been buggy for a while. i think it's the 8gb ram i got last month. firefox crashes randomly. and yesterday i start getting BSOD. like 8 times in two hours. So this morning i reinstalled windows7 x64. and I'm still getting BSOD.

I'm going to swap in my old memory to see if its the new memory. But jesus fucking christ. this is really fucking annoying. any suggestions?

ugh....
You get blue screens because of hardware problems so it can definitely be your new ram.

I recently shutdown my computer, took it apart and installed some new fans. When I went to turn it back on it doesn't do anything, the PSU doesn't even start. The only thing that does anything is the LED on my motherboard. I tried a new PSU but it did not do anything either, I am thinking my mobo died somehow. Any thoughts?

This is my set up -
Intel core i7 920
750w ocz PSU
6gb g.skill ram
nvidia 450gt

bengraven

Help me GAF, you're my only hope.

First off: yes, I'm on Vista 64 and no, that's not funny. I got this PC a year ago and due to unemployment haven't been able to upgrade.

So I pulled the case open to clean the dust out yesterday when the video card popped out of it's place. This PC was fairly hastily put together by a friend of mine and the card pops out of the screw that holds it into the case. So I just put it back and screw it into place, it's happened a few times and whatever.

So when I turned my computer on and I get the green scrolling bar and (c) Microsoft page. And that's it. It scrolls forever and ever.

YLL7W.jpg

This is if I "start normally".

If I start in safe mode, it loads the drivers and then freezes on: windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys.

This is apparently a problem that's happened to other people, but they occasionally are able to get through to Windows after 10 minutes or even an hour. I had the scrolling bar going for three hours yesterday and nothing.

Now to say it: I don't have a boot disc and finding a Vista boot disc, let alone a Vista64 disc is almost impossible. I found one on a torrent site, but there were no seeders so it just sat there. To make matters worse, a lot of people are saying that the boot disc didn't help.

I really really don't want to have to reformat, but that's the only option given to me by my Google searches.

Anyone know what might be happening and how I can fix this? I don't want to have to reformat and lose the thousands of family pictures, music, and admittingly, thousands of hours of game saves such as my 30 hour Skyrim save. But then again, I just want my PC working again.

clav

I recently shutdown my computer, took it apart and installed some new fans. When I went to turn it back on it doesn't do anything, the PSU doesn't even start. The only thing that does anything is the LED on my motherboard. I tried a new PSU but it did not do anything either, I am thinking my mobo died somehow. Any thoughts?

This is my set up -
Intel core i7 920
750w ocz PSU
6gb g.skill ram
nvidia 450gt

Try jumpstarting your motherboard by bridging the two power switch pins with a flathead screwdriver.

Your computer should turn on.

If it does, then your power switch wiring has issues.

Help me GAF, you're my only hope.

First off: yes, I'm on Vista 64 and no, that's not funny. I got this PC a year ago and due to unemployment haven't been able to upgrade.

So I pulled the case open to clean the dust out yesterday when the video card popped out of it's place. This PC was fairly hastily put together by a friend of mine and the card pops out of the screw that holds it into the case. So I just put it back and screw it into place, it's happened a few times and whatever.

So when I turned my computer on and I get the green scrolling bar and (c) Microsoft page. And that's it. It scrolls forever and ever.

YLL7W.jpg

This is if I "start normally".

If I start in safe mode, it loads the drivers and then freezes on: windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys.

This is apparently a problem that's happened to other people, but they occasionally are able to get through to Windows after 10 minutes or even an hour. I had the scrolling bar going for three hours yesterday and nothing.

Now to say it: I don't have a boot disc and finding a Vista boot disc, let alone a Vista64 disc is almost impossible. I found one on a torrent site, but there were no seeders so it just sat there. To make matters worse, a lot of people are saying that the boot disc didn't help.

I really really don't want to have to reformat, but that's the only option given to me by my Google searches.

Anyone know what might be happening and how I can fix this? I don't want to have to reformat and lose the thousands of family pictures, music, and admittingly, thousands of hours of game saves such as my 30 hour Skyrim save. But then again, I just want my PC working again.

The easy way here would be for you to get a copy of Windows 7. Microsoft provides links via Digital River for free.

Here's a Home Premium copy of x64: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

You can burn this, and run the DVD to do a repair to check your installation.

That should give you enough room to use command line to run a chkdsk operation. (e.g. chkdsk C: /r)

Try jumpstarting your motherboard by bridging the two power switch pins with a flathead screwdriver.

Your computer should turn on.

If it does, then your power switch wiring has issues.

Just gave that a try and nothing happens. When I said the LED lights up, I meant that the power symbol and the reset symbol on the motherboard themselves light up when I turn on the switch from the back of the PSU. The front buttons on the case do nothing. I have also taken everything off the mobo and attempted to just have the PSU and motherboard connected, but again nothing, no beeps or anything.

bengraven

The easy way here would be for you to get a copy of Windows 7. Microsoft provides links via Digital River for free.

Here's a Home Premium copy of x64: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

You can burn this, and run the DVD to do a repair to check your installation.

That should give you enough room to use command line to run a chkdsk operation. (e.g. chkdsk C: /r)

Awesome, I'm going to try the ISO first! Thank you, I couldn't find that anywhere!

If not, yeah, I'm going to have to reinstall and if I'm going to reinstall I may as well go Windows 7. What do you mean about it being free though? You can upgrade to 7 for free?

clav

Awesome, I'm going to try the ISO first! Thank you, I couldn't find that anywhere!

If not, yeah, I'm going to have to reinstall and if I'm going to reinstall I may as well go Windows 7. What do you mean about it being free though? You can upgrade to 7 for free?
The ISOs for all Windows 7 versions are available for free through Digital River.

The keys are not.

Just gave that a try and nothing happens. When I said the LED lights up, I meant that the power symbol and the reset symbol on the motherboard themselves light up when I turn on the switch from the back of the PSU. The front buttons on the case do nothing. I have also taken everything off the mobo and attempted to just have the PSU and motherboard connected, but again nothing, no beeps or anything.

Test your power supply (OCZ).

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...1-Guide-to-testing-problematic-power-supplies

clav

Just gave that a go, PSU works, I guess it must be the mobo then.

Unplug everything. Reset the CMOS or take out the battery on the motherboard.

Wait one minute.

Plug power back in and turn on. Put the battery back in.

See if that works before RMA'ing the motherboard.

Your motherboard may be due for a new battery.

How old is the motherboard?

Unplug everything. Reset the CMOS or take out the battery on the motherboard.

Wait one minute.

Plug power back in and turn on. Put the battery back in.

See if that works before RMA'ing the motherboard.

Your motherboard may be due for a new battery.

How old is the motherboard?

The motherboard is only 2 years old. When you say unplug everything, do you mean remove everything? Ram, gpu, etc.

edit: In either case I did what you said and no response from the motherboard, aside from what it was doing earlier, having the led under the power/reset buttons turn on.

clav

The motherboard is only 2 years old. When you say unplug everything, do you mean remove everything? Ram, gpu, etc.

edit: In either case I did what you said and no response from the motherboard, aside from what it was doing earlier, having the led under the power/reset buttons turn on.

No just the battery on the motherboard and the three prong plug of the power supply.

The idea is to make the motherboard forget its settings without a battery installed.

You didn't forget to plug the 4/6 pin power plug next to the CPU, did you?

What motherboard is it?

Sounds like you did some diagnosing, and it could be dead. If the above doesn't work, then RMA it if it still is under warranty.

No just the battery on the motherboard and the three prong plug of the power supply.

The idea is to make the motherboard forget its settings without a battery installed.

You didn't forget to plug the 4/6 pin power plug next to the CPU, did you?

What motherboard is it?

Sounds like you did some diagnosing, and it could be dead. If the above doesn't work, then RMA it if it still is under warranty.

It's an Asus P6T, and no, I didn't forget the 4/6 pin plug.
At least it looks like it should be under warranty for a little while yet. Some good news I suppose.

CPS2

I'm getting horizontal green lines through my LCD TV, pretty much at all times, no matter what image source i use. Its mainly noticeable when there's meant to be a black picture, including when something is cropped, any black space is just green. I heard its pretty common and the TV is outside warranty, and i've already done a software reset which didn't help. Should i just throw away the tv?

Question on RAM Update: My current PC Configuration:
+ CUSTOM PC, Core� i5 / i7 2-way SLI� Performance Series Desktop Computer System 1 $1136.75 $1136.75
COOLER MASTER, HAF 922 Black Mid Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, Steel

OCZ, ModXStream Pro Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 700W, 80 PLUS�, 24-pin ATX EPS12V, One 6-pin + One 8-pin PCIe, SLI Ready

ASUS, P7P55D-E PRO, LGA1156, Intel� P55, DDR3-2220 (O.C.) 16GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /2, SATA 3 Gb/s RAID 5 /7, 6 Gb/s /2, USB 3.0 /2, HDA, GbLAN, FW /2, ATX, Retail

INTEL, Core� i5-760 Quad-Core 2.8GHz, LGA1156, 2.5 GT/s, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm, 95W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail

COOLER MASTER, Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler, Socket 1366/1156/775/AM3/AM2, Copper/Aluminum, Retail

OCZ, 4GB (2 x 2GB) Gold Low Voltage PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.65V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

EVGA, GeForce� GTX 460 EE (AR) 763MHz, 1GB GDDR5 3800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DVI /2, mini-HDMI, Retail

SAMSUNG, 1TB SpinPoint F3, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200-RPM, 32MB Cache, Retail

RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

LITE-ON, iHAS124 Black 24x DVD�RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM

Crucial Scan Info:
Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-16000, DDR3 PC3-14900, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 16GB
Currently Installed Memory: 4GB
Total Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots: 2

I would like to upgrade to at least 8GB RAM (or even 12), my understanding is that my CPU has 4 dimm slots present.

If I go with a Crosair 1.5V (or lower, I believe lower V is better?) DDR3 RAM, will it be compatible with the PC?

Also, should I stick with PC3-12800 or is there better out there I can use?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm getting horizontal green lines through my LCD TV, pretty much at all times, no matter what image source i use. Its mainly noticeable when there's meant to be a black picture, including when something is cropped, any black space is just green. I heard its pretty common and the TV is outside warranty, and i've already done a software reset which didn't help. Should i just throw away the tv?

How old is it? If it's happening regardless of image source it probably is a goner. :(

Jim

I have a (serious) server and linux harddrive problem!

Cross posted from here, sorry...

gaming-age.com is dead. *sniff*
I don't have a reliable or current backup (I suck, I know)

The drive became unmountable with all sorts of i/o errors and I've never had to deal with such a screwed up drive before.

It's in a USB enclosure now at the hosting facility, and attached to a new machine.
I can SEE it, but fsck fails...
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem.

Trying to do a dd or ddrescue results in the drive/data transfer going so damn slow that it's not even worth the effort.

Anyone ever deal with a similar scenario?

I'm going to have them ship it to me to tinker with and might need to send it to a data recovery company to see if they can get somewhere with it.

I figured I'd ask NeoGAF first. I'll owe you big if you can help me out!

Fuck :/

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Jim, tried mke2fs -S? I had to use that one once to get data out of a broken partition.

You would only want to do that with a clone, of course. Because you kind of want to not make a new superblock. Obviously. But it seems like that's the last resort to get shit back.

Read manpages, decide with extreme care. I am not responsible for unrecoverable data.

Good luck.

Edit: e2fsck directly after that one. Should be mentioned in your manpage:
"-S
Write superblock and group descriptors only. This is useful if all of the superblock and backup superblocks are corrupted, and a last-ditch recovery method is desired. It causes mke2fs to reinitialize the superblock and group descriptors, while not touching the inode table and the block and inode bitmaps. The e2fsck program should be run immediately after this option is used, and there is no guarantee that any data will be salvageable. It is critical to specify the correct filesystem blocksize when using this option, or there is no chance of recovery. "

mike23

I have a desktop computer with a 5850 hooked up to 3 monitors. Can I just buy a $30 AMD card a plug it into my third PCI Express slot and hook a fourth monitor up to it without causing any problems for gaming? I say the third slot because I think the second will downgrade the pci-e speed for the first slot that has the 5850 whereas the third shouldn't. I won't be gaming on the fourth monitor at all.

I have an Asus P8P67 Pro.

Sipowicz

Banned
Hi All

I have a problem with my Dell laptop. It seems to be overheating and switching itself off. This happens when it is placed on a flat service and seems to happen most often when it is running a lot of programs.

I'd imagine it's something like the fan because the bottom of the laptop is getting very hot. Is there anything I can do to confirm this? what else could it be?

kottila

Is there any point in waiting for Ivy Bridge for a new laptop? I've heard that the integrated GPU will be a big improvement, but I'm thinking of having an external GPU anyway. (maybe I can get SB machines for cheaper, when IB is out?)

Top Bottom