• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Take out the battery.

Traditionally, you can hold the power button for like 5 secs or something to force a power-off.

alternade

I have no idea why my laptop is running so slow. If I have Firefox open and vuze running my CPU is constantly at 100%. After 20 minutes or so everything will come to a halt and its laggy even after I close the programs. My CPU will still show 100% until I reboot. Running a malware bytes to see if that could be the problem.

alternade said:
I have no idea why my laptop is running so slow. If I have Firefox open and vuze running my CPU is constantly at 100%. After 20 minutes or so everything will come to a halt and its laggy even after I close the programs. My CPU will still show 100% until I reboot. Running a malware bytes to see if that could be the problem.

Did you check under task manager > processes tab to see which one(s) are eating up the CPU? That should tell you the culprit...

While it could be malware, Firefox and especially Azureus (Vuze) can be resource hogs (not 100% CPU level, but hey lighter apps can be nice). Try running Chrome and uTorrent if your malware scan comes back clean.

alternade

thesoapster said:
Did you check under task manager > processes tab to see which one(s) are eating up the CPU? That should tell you the culprit...

While it could be malware, Firefox and especially Azureus (Vuze) can be resource hogs (not 100% CPU level, but hey lighter apps can be nice). Try running Chrome and uTorrent if your malware scan comes back clean.

Firefox and vuze were using the most but even after i close them the problem persists.

dpatel304

I'm running Windows 7 and got a blue screen while the laptop was shutting down in the middle of installing updates (it was at the screen after shut down where it says something along the lines of "Installing update 2 of 11, do not shut down computer").

It still works just fine, but I'm basically unable to update or shut down. If I shut down, it still tries to install those same updates, gets stuck at 2 of 11, and I have to do a hard shut down (which I really hate doing during an update, so I just don't shut it down any more and only put it to sleep).

It's not a huge deal, since my laptop just sits on my desk and is only used for work, but if anyone knows how to fix this it would really help.

I believe I'm past the point of doing a 'restore your computer to an earlier time'. I waited too long to troubleshoot it and I don't think I have a good restore point. Can't do a fresh Windows install because I've got all this software loaded from work that would be a pain in the butt to reinstall and would take way too long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whogie

dpatel304, try an upgrade install of Windows. It'll act as a repair install and replace the system files.

alternade, screenshot your process list.

alternade said:
Firefox and vuze were using the most but even after i close them the problem persists.

So, there were no processes then that stood out? If this just happened recently, have you tried System Restore?

alternade

thesoapster said:
So, there were no processes then that stood out? If this just happened recently, have you tried System Restore?
I'm at a loss now. I installed utorrent and got rid vuze and that seemed to help but now my laptop keeps shutting down and wont boot up.

so appearently my registry wad corrupt. I have no idea how that happened. But win 7 has a built in bootup repair and fixed it

Jzero

alternade said:
I'm at a loss now. I installed utorrent and got rid vuze and that seemed to help but now my laptop keeps shutting down and wont boot up.

so appearently my registry wad corrupt. I have no idea how that happened. But win 7 has a built in bootup repair and fixed it
You may have caught a virus from downloading torrents. and Firefox and vuze are resource hogs btw. Download and try chrome

Jzero

Professor Beef said:
Is there any way to upgrade my laptop's graphics card, or am I stuck with the default stuff? It's not a huge deal if I can't, I'm just curious.
i'm sure you can't since most laptops just come with a chip integrated on the motherboard. i don't know if you'll be able to find(or if they even sell) an external graphics card, You can search for one though.

Edit: Think i found an external one

Edit 2: Never mind that's just the enclosure,but yea that's why you have to go all out when you buy a laptop.

Apoc87

Banned
Posted from the "stupid questions" thread.

Windows 7, gateway desktop store bought in august.

Yesterday, my free trial of Norton AntiVirus expired. An hour after it expired, my computer caught a virus off an unclean site. (At least I admitted it, please don't make fun. I didn't realize the trial had expired til it was too late). Computer crashed.

Surprisingly, was able to use a system restore point from September 25th. Installed ad aware free. Computer runs just like a peach except 2 issues:

1. On September 25th, I was using a free trial of Norton Internet Security. The computer still has all the files from this program. All my Norton AntiVirus files were wiped. When I try to uninstall internet security, nothing happens. When I try to open it, nothing happens. Why? How can I get it off my computer?

2. After the restore, Windows update found 10 updates automatically, I installed them and restarted. Now, when I check for updates, Windows update says " error 80070005, cannot check for new updates." How can I get this to check for updates again?

If anyone has answers for these, thanks in advance. If you guys need more detail, let me know.

I don't want to edit any registry values or HKEYs or whatever else is too complicated. I am a basic user and I want my computer to work the same as when I bought it.

Jzero15 said:
i'm sure you can't since most laptops just come with a chip integrated on the motherboard. i don't know if you'll be able to find(or if they even sell) an external graphics card, You can search for one though.

Edit: Think i found an external one

Edit 2: Never mind that's just the enclosure,but yea that's why you have to go all out when you buy a laptop.
It's alright, like I said I was just curious. Thanks anyways though.

alternade

Jzero15 said:
You may have caught a virus from downloading torrents. and Firefox and vuze are resource hogs btw. Download and try chrome
Maybe. Gonna do full scan tonight. I'm using malwarebytes right now is there any better virus scanner that you guys recommend

Jzero

alternade said:
Maybe. Gonna do full scan tonight. I'm using malwarebytes right now is there any better virus scanner that you guys recommend
Nope, that's the best as far as i know.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Apoc87 said:
Posted from the "stupid questions" thread.

Windows 7, gateway desktop store bought in august.

Yesterday, my free trial of Norton AntiVirus expired. An hour after it expired, my computer caught a virus off an unclean site. (At least I admitted it, please don't make fun. I didn't realize the trial had expired til it was too late). Computer crashed.

Surprisingly, was able to use a system restore point from September 25th. Installed ad aware free. Computer runs just like a peach except 2 issues:

1. On September 25th, I was using a free trial of Norton Internet Security. The computer still has all the files from this program. All my Norton AntiVirus files were wiped. When I try to uninstall internet security, nothing happens. When I try to open it, nothing happens. Why? How can I get it off my computer?

2. After the restore, Windows update found 10 updates automatically, I installed them and restarted. Now, when I check for updates, Windows update says " error 80070005, cannot check for new updates." How can I get this to check for updates again?

If anyone has answers for these, thanks in advance. If you guys need more detail, let me know.

I don't want to edit any registry values or HKEYs or whatever else is too complicated. I am a basic user and I want my computer to work the same as when I bought it.
For the Norton thing, there's a removal tool somewhere here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...10133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home
Regarding the second issue, you won't be able to fix that one without fiddling with user rights. That much became apparent immediately after googling "error 80070005".

Apoc87

Banned
wolfmat said:
For the Norton thing, there's a removal tool somewhere here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...10133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home
Regarding the second issue, you won't be able to fix that one without fiddling with user rights. That much became apparent immediately after googling "error 80070005".

Thank you for your response. Norton removal worked.

As for the user rights thing, did the program that caused the crash change them? And why would everything else revert back to the way it was EXCEPT for windows update? I have no problems running/ updating other programs.

Apoc87

Banned
another update on the issues. After removing norton, I am not getting an error sound happening when restarting the computer. No dialog describing what the error is, just the sound. Happens 3 times, about 30 seconds apart, and stops. Is this norton trying to open itself or something? I did not re-install any version of norton after removal because I cannot find my product key.

Also, i'm noticing after the system restore, most of my programs are now running in 32-bit mode (*32 by the process name in task manager.) Why is it doing this now?

Ettie

I have a sneaking suspicion that my wife's SSD may be failing. I'm hoping TSGAF can prove me wrong.

On my wife's desktop, occasionally she will lose the ability to do anything. The system isn't frozen in the traditional sense, as she can still move the cursor around and click on stuff. But, nothing happens after she does that. No opening/closing of programs, shutdown/restart, nada. There are no hardware faults be thrown by the OS.

An odd example. She was playing LOTRO this morning, and alt-tabbed out to print something. Machine is totally unresponsive. However she could tab back in to the game and continue to play.

I'm at a loss here. Any leads I could chase?

(._.)

Banned
Please help me :[

the two USB 3.0 ports on my laptop stopped working. I went to reinstall their drivers but the software says it isn't picking them up. Have restarted and messed around under the device manager. At this point I am lost. How can I get my 3.0 ports working again? DO you think their could be something wrong with my laptop?

Barrett2

wolfmat said:
Take out the battery.

Traditionally, you can hold the power button for like 5 secs or something to force a power-off.

Tried this, still nothing. I even removed the RAM and put it back in.

Any other ideas? Basically, it's a netbook, it was hooked up to an external monitor, outputting only to the monitor. On boot, it went to an error screen, with an option to enter BIOS. After unplugging the monitor, there is now nothing displayed on the screen. Essentially, I can't figure out how to force it to start outputting image to the netbook screen.

Help!

I'm running Firefox 7.0.1 on a Windows 7 virtual machine and I find that every so often a page from Bing's search results takes me to a shitty fake page instead of where it was supposed to send me. I can hit back and click again and then it works. I suspected a virus but I've run AVG free and it hasn't found anything.

Any ideas? Could it be Bing itself? It didn't start doing this until recently but I've only noticed it with Bing (then again that's my primary search engine.)

Jzero

Neuromancer said:
Help!

I'm running Firefox 7.0.1 on a Windows 7 virtual machine and I find that every so often a page from Bing's search results takes me to a shitty fake page instead of where it was supposed to send me. I can hit back and click again and then it works. I suspected a virus but I've run AVG free and it hasn't found anything.

Any ideas? Could it be Bing itself? It didn't start doing this until recently but I've only noticed it with Bing (then again that's my primary search engine.)
idk about bing but on Google, the top links are always mostly fake pages.

Vlodril

Hey i got a logitech s520 dektop and neither mouse nor keybord works. I tried updated software and drivers but nothing. They seem to connect when i press the connect button but they are still dead. Also there are no keyb and mouse tabs in the set point program.

Keybord works when choosing boot options outside of windows. Any ideas?

Double D

I have one of those Gateway FX series gaming PCs that I bought about 2.5 years ago. A few months ago, I upgraded the graphics card and the power supply. GPU is now a GTX 465 with a gig of ram. Power supply is a Corsair 600 watt or something like that. ANyways the problem is now that this thing will run games great, but only when I cater to it's needs.

If I launch a game from steam after a fresh reboot, usually it runs great at reasonably high settings. Now, here comes the issue. If I exit said game, and launch any other game, it is the framiest piece of crap you have ever encountered. Even if I exit out of this second game and return to the game I was originally playing with great performance, it too runs like total shit.

All of this will continue to happen until I restart the machine, and start the whole process over again. Oh, and the restart thing doesn't always work. Sometimes it takes another restart, or even a complete shutdown for me to get a game to run well right out of the gate.

Jzero

Vlodril said:
Hey i got a logitech s520 dektop and neither mouse nor keybord works. I tried updated software and drivers but nothing. They seem to connect when i press the connect button but they are still dead. Also there are no keyb and mouse tabs in the set point program.

Keybord works when choosing boot options outside of windows. Any ideas?
Must be the batteries or try switching USB Ports.

My laptop screen has a burning in problem where anything that's been still for more than 10 seconds "burns in" the screen. It's a non-LED LCD screen and my Nvidia drivers are up to date.

Update: Weird, I haven't noticed any burn-in today. It just fixed itself!

(._.)

Banned
(._.) said:
Please help me :[

the two USB 3.0 ports on my laptop stopped working. I went to reinstall their drivers but the software says it isn't picking them up. Have restarted and messed around under the device manager. At this point I am lost. How can I get my 3.0 ports working again? DO you think their could be something wrong with my laptop?
bump

Vlodril

Must be the batteries or try switching USB Ports.

No its neither. I tried various ports and batteries. Plus as i said it works in boot and in bios. I thought maybe its the old microsoft wireless drivers and uninstalled the keyboard since i can't find the drivers for it anywhere and revo or drivers sweepers doesn't either but still nothing.

I am afraid only a format will help since its certainly a software problem but i am not prepared to format my system just to get it to work. Very pissed though. Logitech support ignored me also..

Jzero

Okay guys i feel like a bad Tech for not being able to fix this one but, my friends computer shuts down every 3-4 hours, and it's a hard shutdown. I changed his power supply but it still shuts down by itself. What else could be the problem? I forgot to take a look at his thermal paste btw. I also checked his capacitors but didn't find anything wrong.

Jzero15 said:
Okay guys i feel like a bad Tech for not being able to fix this one but, my friends computer shuts down every 3-4 hours, and it's a hard shutdown. I changed his power supply but it still shuts down by itself. What else could be the problem? I forgot to take a look at his thermal paste btw. I also checked his capacitors but didn't find anything wrong.

Yeah, could be the processor overheating. Have you checked each stick of RAM to see if they could be the cause?

Don't know if anyone uses Connectify, but it basically turns your laptop/computer into a wireless hotspot.

Now, I've been using this on my Vaio VPCEE3E03 for a few months, but I had to re-install windows and format my drives today and now I can't get it to work. I can't find any decent drivers online but I've downloaded a few. (Wireless and Ethernet work fine) The error I get is
"Windows has encountered and error initilizing hostednetwork. Please install windows hotifx". I've done this and yet it still doesn't work. Even after a re-boot.

Any ideas?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am fixing a friends Acer Aspire 4339. HDD crapped out on him. Bought a clean new one. Installed Windows 7 Home.... no drivers installed. No WLAN or LAN. I downloaded the official drivers. LAN works, Broadcom WLAN was installed as was Intels WLAN panel thing. Nope, no go. Atheros says there's no Atheros card connected so I guess that's the wrong driver.

Any help? Guy really needs the laptop =/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Disable LAN and try WLAN one at a time after a hard shutdown and power on.
Check the WLAN switch is on and that it is enabled in control panel if you can see it.

Lately I've noticed my windows is having a slow time booting up then it has previously. I run through bios just fine but after bios I usually get my windows login right after. Lately I sit at a black screen for up to 30 secs after bios finishes until I hear the chime for login. I'm running:

Core i7 920
6GB Ram
GTX570
OCZ SSD, Boot Drive
Hard drive for everything else.

I did run a defrag on my storage hard drive and I think that's when the slow load started to happen. Any idea on how to get my boot back up to speed?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hazaro said:
Disable LAN and try WLAN one at a time after a hard shutdown and power on.
Check the WLAN switch is on and that it is enabled in control panel if you can see it.

Aaah...

There was a Intel MiFi driver interfering it seems. Disabled it. Intel Wireless Panel says there's no driver found but after a few seconds the standard Windows Wireless thingie appears and it worked fine. Thanks for the suggestion Hazaro.

KorrZ

LastWindow said:
Yeah, could be the processor overheating. Have you checked each stick of RAM to see if they could be the cause?

Could be the video card overheating too, had that issue a few months back.

Binabik15

2 problems here.

1) my stupid brother and his girlfriend dropped the family external hd yesterday (both of them...) and now it doesn't show up on explorer anymore, not on my pc, not on his. Both have W7. I can find it under the hardware managet tool and it claims to be working just fine. I can also see it under the USB menu for safe ejection and disconnect it. I want to be able to access it, though.

2) My pc is hooked up to my tv and goes to the interwebs via a belkin usb wifi stick, since I can't get a cable there for a couple of reasobd. Worked well enough until recently when the stick wad used on another pc. Now it's super slow, hell, I'm typing this on my smartphone since the pc wouldn't finish the custom search for this thread. Drivers are still the same, same network, it just doesn't work well anymore. Download speed is normal IF it ever gezs going.

Halp.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Something is wrong with my video card, but i'm not sure what... the driver is up to date, the card isn't overheating at all, it's still new from this year...

Yet sometimes the screen goes black for 5 secs for no reasons before coming back to normal and Windows give me some warning about how the driver failed but was recovered, or something like that.

I really don't have any other issues with my video card, but this one particular thing it bugging me.

My card is a MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr. I always get my video drivers from nvidia.

I had Vista a few months ago(now with 7) and i had the same problem back then.

freshair

How do I figure out what's causing a conflict that results in a BSOD on boot-up?

It mentioned something about a "STOP kdcom.dll"

I assume there's some kind of conflict because I'm able to boot into safe mode and everything is fine and dandy.

I've googled and tried everything short of using the recovery console from the XP disc as it's a Dell and didn't come with one.

Things that happened prior to getting the BSOD:

- upgraded ram from 512mb to 2gig. (initially got a BSOD on first time boot-up, but worked every time after that)
- uninstalled AVG 2008 and installed 2012 version
- installed Zone Alarm free
- got the svchost.exe CPU bug, so I disabled automatic updates

Things that I've done trying to remedy it:

- put back the original ram (same result now)
- uninstalled zone alarm
- uninstalled avg 2012
- re-enabled auto updates

No go :(

PaulLFC

Hey GAF,
I might say I'm a PC gamer, but when it comes to actually building/upgrading PCs, I'm clueless. That's why I ordered a custom built PC around last September time. Currently it has 4GB DDR3 RAM in it, (2x 2GB Corsair VS2GB1333D4 - XMS3, I think...).

I've noticed a deal on eBuyer for 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM for £37.98 (Link). So just a couple of questions:

1. Firstly, here are my PC specs at the moment - with these specs, do you think it's worth upgrading RAM, graphics card etc or will the motherboard/processor be outdated soon, making a new PC a better option?

Gigabyte P55-US3L
Core i5 760 @ 2.8GHz
4GB Corsair DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB
1TB HDD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1

2. If incremental upgrades would be worth it with that spec, would purchasing the 8GB of memory above mean I'd need to replace the 4GB already in the PC, or could I just put the 8GB into the two free memory slots and have 12GB of memory?

3. Is there anything else I should know if I was to buy that memory - e.g. is it rubbish and not worth the purchase, or do I need to change some settings when I install it, etc?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions, as I said, I'm an idiot where PC building is involved
3AQmK.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think your system is just fine. As to gaming, it depends on your resolution. If you game at 1920x1200 or lower, you are pretty much OK, anything higher and you may consider a video card update.

As to RAM, your motherboard has 4 slots, and 2 are currently occupied, so you can certainly buy two more sticks and make it 4 total. That memory seems fine, but I dont know about the price, as I am not in Europe.

Also, what OS are you running? Some are limited in the amount of RAM they can handle.

AndyD

aka andydumi
freshair said:
How do I figure out what's causing a conflict that results in a BSOD on boot-up?

It mentioned something about a "STOP kdcom.dll"

I assume there's some kind of conflict because I'm able to boot into safe mode and everything is fine and dandy.

I've googled and tried everything short of using the recovery console from the XP disc as it's a Dell and didn't come with one.

Things that happened prior to getting the BSOD:

- upgraded ram from 512mb to 2gig. (initially got a BSOD on first time boot-up, but worked every time after that)
- uninstalled AVG 2008 and installed 2012 version
- installed Zone Alarm free
- got the svchost.exe CPU bug, so I disabled automatic updates

Things that I've done trying to remedy it:

- put back the original ram (same result now)
- uninstalled zone alarm
- uninstalled avg 2012
- re-enabled auto updates

No go :(

Everything I see on Google says this is the way to fix it short of an OS reinstall. Thankfully I think you can download and burn a copy of XP both off Dell and off MS site.

PaulLFC

AndyD said:
I think your system is just fine. As to gaming, it depends on your resolution. If you game at 1920x1200 or lower, you are pretty much OK, anything higher and you may consider a video card update.

As to RAM, your motherboard has 4 slots, and 2 are currently occupied, so you can certainly buy two more sticks and make it 4 total. That memory seems fine, but I dont know about the price, as I am not in Europe.

Also, what OS are you running? Some are limited in the amount of RAM they can handle.

Yeah I'm going to leave the video card update for a while, I'm happy with the 460 at the moment, I was more checking that point in case future upgrades wouldn't be worth it as they'd be restricted by one of the other components.

Good to hear I can just add the extra memory alongside the current sticks - I wasn't sure if there would be conflicts between the two but more memory is always better so that's definitely a plus.

As for the OS, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Professional, which according to Zdnet will handle up to 192GB of memory. Although why anyone would need that much memory right now I'm not sure
3AQmK.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
With Win 7 64 bit, you should see some good improvement by going past 4GB of RAM.

But your system should be fine for a few good years, I would just worry about that video card at higher resolutions or multiple screens in the next 2-3 years and change nothing else.

If you have the cash, a small SSD drive for your OS and game installs only will also boost your performance. Faster load times and all. But they are pretty pricey.

Parl

If something says...

Input rating: 12V - 3.75A (3.75A)/3.0A(3.0A)

On the monitor does that mean I can use a 3.0A adapter? Because I have an adapter which is 12V/3A with 5.5mm outer diameter and 2.5mm inner diameter just as this monitor is (if fits snuggly at least).

If not, am I looking at getting a 12V / 4A - going overampage is fine, right? I got this monitor without an adapter, so I'm based on what it says on the monitor itself, and it's hard to find relevant info online.

CzarTim

I have a Samsung netbook running XP SP2 that I only use occasionally. Recently it stopped connecting to my wireless network (it says Limited/No Connectivity after trying to renew its IP). The network was WPA2 encrypted and the SSID wasn't broadcasting, but when I disabled the encryption and broadcasted the SSID, nothing changed. I was able to connect to one of my neighbor's open networks.

Other things I've tried:

- Disabling the connection and restarting.
- Uninstalling the wireless adapter and having Windows reinstall it.
- Typing 'netsh winsock reset' into cmd, restarting, and hitting repair on the connection

My mackbook air, android phone, and iPad are all able to connect just fine, but I have noticed that my PS3 stopped auto-connecting to PSN around the same time. I don't go online much with my PS3, so I have not investigated that further.

Top Bottom