• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

rCIZZLE

I need some help...

I keep getting this "your memory is low" warning suggesting google chrome/internet explorer/firefox needs to be exited. Right now I have 4gb ram that's being recognized by the computer under computer -> properties but the total amount whatever web browser I'm using doesn't come close to that. In fact all usage on my computer is around 2gb according to task manager but I keep getting these warnings until it eventually restarts itself.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to do?

Uriah

I have a problem with Steam and the internet. My first problem involves steams' server browser. When I search for the servers, only a few servers show up, event though there are plenty more. Sometimes all servers do show up however. When I try to connect to the server I will usually get an error message and I can't connect. Then something bizarre happens. I am kicked off my internet and can't access the web. Pages refuse to load. It usually takes 5 minutes for things to return to normal.

Normally I bypass this problem by going to gametracker.com and find server IPs and directly connect to them using the console (connect 66.151.138.55:27015 for example). However I can't use this solution when trying to use matchmaking. Matchmaking just refuses to work at all in certain games: ie TF2. With DOTA 2 and CS:GO coming out soon I want to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

cajunator

Banned
This is probably easy to fix, but a lot of times my computer will stop playing sound. Something crashes in the background and youtube, music, vlc, nothing will play any sound at all until I reset the computer. Is this a RAM issue?

jost

Neo Member
Router help please! I got a Linksys E3200 Dual-Band N Router, but I was looking at another router when I bought this one. I started doing a little research and realized really fast I know nothing about routers. :( I was looking for a comparison to the Apple - AirPort Extreme Wireless Base Station. My current wireless traffic at most will be 2 iPhones, 1 laptop, 1 PC, an Xbox 360, Ps3, and possibly a 3ds. On average it is 1 iPhone, 1 PC, Xbox 360 and Ps3

Dougald

This is probably easy to fix, but a lot of times my computer will stop playing sound. Something crashes in the background and youtube, music, vlc, nothing will play any sound at all until I reset the computer. Is this a RAM issue?

Have you tried uninstalling your Sound drivers, then downloading the latest ones from your manufacturers website?

If you check the event log, do you see anything reporting as crashed at the same time as your sound died? (start>run or WIN+R, then run eventvwr.msc - look under windows logs)

Linkhero1

I hope this thread isn't limited to just Computer tech but also web hosting etc.

My problem is I do not know how to generate a self signed CSR for my SSL certificate. I just signed up for a domain and it came with 1 year SSL. I am new to this and if anyone has helpful tutorial or something so I'm able to set my SSL up please help me.

aktham

I have a Dell XPS L502X laptop. I upgraded the HDD to a Vertex 2 SSD and did a clean Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. I did a few SSD tweaks and updated windows with the latest updates from microsoft via "Windows Update". Everything was great.

The problem is now I upgraded to a

Crucial m4 128gb firmware 0009 (latest firmware)

I did another clean install. I did a few SSD tweaks and used windows update to get the latest updates. Now I have random stuttering while streaming a video. I tried using different browsers, but I get the same result. I also get the random stuttering while playing games. It makes a loud noise in my speakers.

The funny thing is that I have the exact same Crucial SSD on my desktop with the same tweaks and it's working perfectly fine there (games and streaming). It has the same benchmark scores, and no stuttering on the desktop. HELP please, it's so annoying.

I did a lot of research and came up with this. Updating to the latest intel drivers seems to make the stuttering even more frequent/worse :(

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...28gb-making-all-game-stutter/m-p/76054#M23251

Help please (suggestions) and thanks

decaf

Please help me Tech GAF!

There was a power cut recently and now my PC can't load up it's Windows installation. I think my SSD may be screwed as I've run the Startup Repair disc for Win 7 x64 but it says it cannot repair the computer automatically. It detects the installation but can't fix it. Trying to boot normally shows the Windows loading logo for a second and then a BSoD and instant restart.

Are there any other tools I can use to fix this? Worst case scenario is the data recoverable?

Birbo

So I'm moving from an older iMac G5 to a new PC at work. Is there an easy / efficient way to move over my ginormous iPhoto library and keep the albums & organization intact?

adam.chance

Neo Member
Quick question about VPN and IP addresses.

I signed up with BTGuard's VPN service and I have connected to it through pptp. However, my router assigns me an internal IP address. Is my VPN useless under this system? I moved to Japan for this semester and I know that they monitor BT usage. I will probably be okay, because I just want to download a few obscure things while I am here. I will use usenet for the majority of other downloads. Media is too damn expensive here.

Garou

Quick question about VPN and IP addresses.

I signed up with BTGuard's VPN service and I have connected to it through pptp. However, my router assigns me an internal IP address. Is my VPN useless under this system? I moved to Japan for this semester and I know that they monitor BT usage. I will probably be okay, because I just want to download a few obscure things while I am here. I will use usenet for the majority of other downloads. Media is too damn expensive here.

Media in Japan is only expensive if you don't bother to look or have extravagant tastes.
But even then you are not qualified to just pirate stuff.

I don't know anything about setting up a wiki, but would like to make one. I'm looking for a few points of functionality:

open access to anyone with minimal or no account setup
a good way to upload or embed videos
free hosting, I hope (can Google Sites do the above things?)

The second thing is probably the most important.

Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Barrett2

Random question about ISP throttling. Where I live im' supposed to get around 15mbps down.

This morning I began downloading Starcraft 2 via Blizzard's store. About 15 min later I notice my speed is crawling, run speedtest and im' down to 1.8mbps. I quit the install and 30 seconds later im' up to 25mbps.

Do ISPs (Time Warner here) really throttle your speed with that level of specificity, or might this have been a coincidence?

Have an annoying problem.

Recently I got a new GPU, so I wanted to test it out. I bought GTAIV during the Steam sale and figured I'd download it. But when I try to, the download starts and I completely lose wireless connection, and am unable to reconnect until I restart my PC. I can probably just use an Ethernet cable to complete the download tonight, but it seemed odd, as I've downloaded big games like Crysis before without issue. But this has happened several times now, and it's pretty annoying.

Any reason why this is happening? Also, if it can't be fixed is their a quicker way to reconnect other than restarting? I've unhooked my wireless card and plugged it back in, but it was still unresponsive until I restarted. Is there a process I could kill or something?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Ok, so I have a really really annoying laptop connection problem.

When I play certain games (DOTA 2/Heroes of Newerth) my internet connection will go out every 5 or so minutes in (it will show that I'm still connected on my toolbar, but say no internet access), and the entire laptop will lock up. I then have to use ctrl+alt+del and log off or restart, after which my internet and game will work fine until it does it again. Some games (SWTOR), rarely have this problem; while HoN/DOTA 2 are nearly unplayable for me. Do you know what this is or how to solve it? Or where to point me to for help with this kind of stuff? Thanks in advance.

Btw I am on university internet, and this problem ONLY occurs while playing games.

This is gonna sound pretty batshit, but my motherboard makes an annoying noise (similar to the noise a really shitty dying hard drive would make) when I stream via Netflix (specifically Netflix) or play Minecraft. Completely fine at any other time. I have no idea why the hell that would happen, and Google isn't being particularly helpful, so I figured I'd ask if anyone here has experienced anything similiar.

54-46!

So Win7 doesn't register my gamepad's inputs and turns off display (power saving) while I'm playing, pretty annoying.

I've looked in the "Device Manager" but there's no "Power Management" tab for the controller, also poked around in "Power Options" but found nothing.

What do I do?

If there's a script (with powercfg maybe) that can disable the screensaver when I launch a specific program and then enable it again once I shut it down that would be neat.

Thanks!

jdogmoney

My cat chewed my laptop's power cord and it no longer supplies power to my Toshiba Satellite. The replacement cord is ninety bucks on the Toshiba website; is there a cheaper alternative? Is it possible to repair the cord?

clav

My cat chewed my laptop's power cord and it no longer supplies power to my Toshiba Satellite. The replacement cord is ninety bucks on the Toshiba website; is there a cheaper alternative? Is it possible to repair the cord?

Picture of the damaged cord?

I would say yes.

If you have a friend who knows how to solder, show it to him. Should be fixed in no more than a quarter of an hour.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I personally find that the danger outweighs the benefit when it comes to repairing power cords at my skill level, but it's certainly possible. It also is pretty easy in principle. But it also introduces a serious fire hazard. Unless you know what you're doing, of course. Doesn't sound like it so far though.

Let me therefore suggest Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010WR78U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: Although, looking at these reviews, maybe it's safer to sort of twiddle the open cable around a nail. That cable specifically seems to be a bad choice! Sorry.

jdogmoney

Good news! 'Twas a flipped breaker to blame. I didn't have anything else plugged in, so I was confused for a bit, but I got it resolved. Thanks, guys! I really should have checked that first.

I just installed a Xonar DG and everything works great except for the fact that my mic is now constantly monitoring, but none of the monitor settings are turned on. At this point I've just flipped off the "Listen to this device" so it wouldn't be so annoying.

Any one have any ideas what's causing this? Or is it that "listen to this device" should have been checked off in the first place? I thought that might be it, but then any microphone test doesn't pick up anything.

Bossniak

I've been having a problem with Youtube lately. The videos load slow on any resolution even though my DL speed is decent. Videos on other sites load just fine so I don't know what the problem is.

My speedtest just in case
1706937877.png

Nemesis_

Hope someone will be able to help me out.

If I plug two portable USB hard drives into my Windows 7 laptop, I can only seem to view the first one that's plugged in.

Is there a reason for this? Is it possible to view the two hard drives side by side?

Jzero

Hope someone will be able to help me out.

If I plug two portable USB hard drives into my Windows 7 laptop, I can only seem to view the first one that's plugged in.

Is there a reason for this? Is it possible to view the two hard drives side by side?

Both hard drives are probably trying to use the same drive letter so do this:

Right click My Computer then click Manage, then navigate to Storage>Disk Management. Find the external drive that shows a drive letter and change it to something else.
Next, Right Click the the drive that is not showing up and right click the GRAY area in the right hand side just under the red arrow that is pointing down. Now that you right clicked it select ONLINE and this will bring it online and automatically assign another drive letter. At this point you can change drive letters or whatever else you want.

ShaneB

Wonder if this is the spot to ask, when I was home for christmas, I tried to fix my Mom's ipod Nano. It simply won't be recognized by the pc as an ipod, and just shows as unknown device.

I tried plenty of stuff, but I figure it's gotta be a simple fix if it's something I can do myself. Or is it something internal and just needs something fixed hardware wise? Will bring it to a repair place tomorrow to fix it, but would rather not do that, so just asking as a last resort.

Joe

ok guys, im posting from a dumbphone and trying to tech support my sister via phone....

her problem is that her internet on her win7 pc stopped working 2 days ago. it is wired to the router, all wifi devices still work.

all cables are plugged in, everything has been powercycled, and the computer was restored to 5 days ago and still nothing.

she tries to run her anti-virus program but that crashes halfway through. ive tried to get her into safemode (to run an AV) by pressing F8 during boot which didnt work and also through msconfig and safeboot wasnt even clickable.

she said at one point there was a "red x" near the clock that said lan device was disabled. she ran the fix for it, then the red x disappeared but didnt really fix anything.

any ideas?

Jzero

Wonder if this is the spot to ask, when I was home for christmas, I tried to fix my Mom's ipod Nano. It simply won't be recognized by the pc as an ipod, and just shows as unknown device.

I tried plenty of stuff, but I figure it's gotta be a simple fix if it's something I can do myself. Or is it something internal and just needs something fixed hardware wise? Will bring it to a repair place tomorrow to fix it, but would rather not do that, so just asking as a last resort.
Did you try everything in this list?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1369

ok guys, im posting from a dumbphone and trying to tech support my sister via phone....

her problem is that her internet on her win7 pc stopped working 2 days ago. it is wired to the router, all wifi devices still work.

all cables are plugged in, everything has been powercycled, and the computer was restored to 5 days ago and still nothing.

she tries to run her anti-virus program but that crashes halfway through. ive tried to get her into safemode (to run an AV) by pressing F8 during boot which didnt work and also through msconfig and safeboot wasnt even clickable.

she said at one point there was a "red x" near the clock that said lan device was disabled. she ran the fix for it, then the red x disappeared but didnt really fix anything.

any ideas?
Try opening the device manager and see if some how it didn't get disabled. It should be under "Network Adapters"

I'm pretty sure that she has a virus and the virus disabled it for her

If you haven't done so you should try to disable all the start up programs from msconfig.

and to get into safe mode you should press F8 ever second after you turn in on until the safe mode choose screen pops up. or you can hold shift to go straight into safe mode.

any ideas?

How far is she from you? In past situations I've only been able to rectify something like this in person only.

For my mother's computer I have set up a remote desktop account so I can troubleshoot anywhere I have internet access. Coupled with a non-admin account in Windows 7, Chrome with Adblock, Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows Firewall and a Linux-based firewall, and she's been virus-free for years.

Jzero

How far is she from you? In past situations I've only been able to rectify something like this in person only.

For my mother's computer I have set up a remote desktop account so I can troubleshoot anywhere I have internet access. Coupled with a non-admin account in Windows 7, Chrome with Adblock, Microsoft Security Essentials with Windows Firewall and a Linux-based firewall, and she's been virus-free for years.
Yes i hate troubleshooting from the phone, that's why i always remote into the persons computer with Croosloop

Doomshine

That was my thought as well. I guess I'll do a run through of everything again.

It's a long shot, but I've had other drivers do the same thing for my old 30g Creative Zen Vision: M. For me it was the motionjoy drivers, after installing them my computer wouldn't recognize it, but I doubt your sister has those installed.

I have been having problems connecting to my router in my apt.

It was working fine up until about december and since then its had difficulty connecting. Whenever I attempt to connect it trys and gives up saying that it can't connect. Other people in the apt. have had trouble but its going on three days that I can't connect.

The computer works fine at school and other places where I can get a wi-fi signal but in my apt. Its frustrating because while other have had problems they've gone away. Mine havent.

I have a microSD card for my android tablet. It was working fine for months now. Suddenly it won't let me put files on it. I'll plug it into the computer and drag something to it and at the last moment it will just hang forever. Still looks like it's working and everything, but never finishes. Any clues? Don't even know how to google such a problem.

EDIT: Alright. So. It turns out if I put it back to FAT32 it works fine. I had reformatted it to NTFS since my tablet can use it no problem since gettings android 4.0, turns out that's the problem in windows. Any guesses why?

I have been having problems connecting to my router in my apt.

It was working fine up until about december and since then its had difficulty connecting. Whenever I attempt to connect it trys and gives up saying that it can't connect. Other people in the apt. have had trouble but its going on three days that I can't connect.

The computer works fine at school and other places where I can get a wi-fi signal but in my apt. Its frustrating because while other have had problems they've gone away. Mine havent.

Can you post a picture of your internet status so we can see exactly what you're seeing.

rCIZZLE

Is there any way to manually control the fan speed? The fan in my laptop changes speeds almost constantly if I'm doing anything and it gets pretty annoying. Even if it's louder I don't care... just as long as it stops this changing speeds garbage.

LakeEarth

My Windows 7 computer has been BSOD-ing and resetting. I've tried to take a picture of the message but it happens randomly and the message is on screen for a second.

I have 4x2GB sticks of RAM. On a hunch, I took them out and tried them out one at a time. 2 led to the same problem, two didn't. You guys think it's the RAM itself, or is it more of a systemic problem?

My Windows 7 computer has been BSOD-ing and resetting. I've tried to take a picture of the message but it happens randomly and the message is on screen for a second.

I have 4x2GB sticks of RAM. On a hunch, I took them out and tried them out one at a time. 2 led to the same problem, two didn't. You guys think it's the RAM itself, or is it more of a systemic problem?

Did you try mixing the ram up, like one "good" stick and one "bad". Also try switching what slots they're in and see what results you get. Was the amount of ram a recent change or is this a new computer?

LakeEarth

The computer is 9 months old, nothing was changed. The error just started happening. Right now I have good/good in and it's working fine. I'll try mixing it up.

EDIT - nevermind, I didn't fix it at all. The amount of time it takes to screw up varies, which makes it hard to troubleshoot. I'll try to get the BSOD message for you guys tomorrow.

rCIZZLE

Is there any way to manually control the fan speed? The fan in my laptop changes speeds almost constantly if I'm doing anything and it gets pretty annoying. Even if it's louder I don't care... just as long as it stops this changing speeds garbage.

Can anybody tell me if this is at least possible? lol

LakeEarth

Yeah, now the computer doesn't even get passed the boot screen. I get the "HP" screen, but when it normally loads up Windows it just gives me a black screen with a flashing cursor. I think I'll have to bring it in for repair. Crap.

Alright GAF, need some Home Theater Set-Up help, I have a couple of different issues but I'll try to make them as clear as possible. Apologies for length.

1st Issue: My mom had an old dvd/vcr combo hooked up via composite to her Yamaha RX-V463 Receiver, that in turn was hooked up to her Sony KDL-52XBR4 TV via HDMI. She never had any issues with this dvd player until the other day when all of a sudden it no longer worked. I tried a few different things, unplugging/plugging back in, plugging directly into TV, a different set of composite cables, etc., nothing worked. I just assumed the DVD player shit the bed and it was finally time to upgrade. So I convinced her to get a Blu Ray player (she never really used the VCR anymore) and she also wanted to use Netflix streaming and also Amazon Video and Pandora among other things. So anyway, she wanted something relatively cheap so we ordered her an LG BD670.

I attempted to set it up yesterday to the receiver via HDMI, but nothing was working. I tried a few different HDMI cables, cleaned the port on the receiver with compressed air, etc. Didn't work. I tried plugging directly to the TV, worked great. Went back down through the receiver and fiddled with it a bit and eventually got a picture and sound, but only when I'm holding the HDMI cable firmly in place. So again, I'm assuming the HDMI port is either dirty or damaged. Anyway, I go and grab some Component cables that I have at my place and go back to my mom's. I plug the Component cables into the receiver and the Blu Ray player, and receiver is still connected to the TV via HDMI. Set it to the correct setting, still no picture. So I pull the cords back out, plug directly into the TV again this time with component. Now I have picture, but no sound when I put in a movie. I turned off the receiver, turned up the tv, set it to output via TV speakers, nothing.

I can't figure out what the hell is going on with all of this, the only way I can get it to work correctly with sound and picture is via HDMI directly to TV. But that doesn't allow my mom to watch with surround sound through her 5.1 setup. Plus she'll use the Blu Ray Player for Pandora and likely CD's as well so it'd be nice to have it set up through the speakers.

I can take pictures of the receiver and how everything is hooked up if necessary, just let me know. I'm hoping it is just some sort of setting or cable I overlooked somewhere.

2nd Issue: Like I said, she didn't want to spend too much on the Blu Ray Player, so we ordered the LG BD670. Even though I didn't have sound coming through, I figured I'd set up the network settings and get Netflix, Pandora and Amazon going for her. I tried adding Netflix first, however the Blu Ray Player said that it needed to do a system update first. OK, do that, after a few minutes it says the update failed. Try again, failed, again failed. Powered it off and on, tried a few times, keeps failing even though it claims to be connected to the network and the signal strength is good at that part of the house. (At this point it may be necessary to mention that the signal strength is good because she has a Netgear Wifi Extender hooked up nearby and that is what she connecting through, her wireless router does not reach that side of the house with the TV). So at this point I stop attempting to update the system and instead go back to the LG apps and try to set up Amazon Video. No problems there, set up was very quick and when I selected a movie to test it, it loaded relatively quickly and I watched for about 5 minutes without any buffering or loading before I turned it off and tried to set up Pandora. This failed twice, both times saying that I was not connected to the internet. When I went into system settings my internet connection was still there.

So, is this just a shitty BR Player that has issues with it's network connections? If I manage to update the firmware via USB instead will that alleviate these network problems? Should I send it back and if so what is a good, network enabled BR Player that supports Netflix, Amazon and Pandora? Is there any chance that the problem is due to the Wifi Range Extender that she is using. All other devices including her Windows laptop, my Macbook Pro, her Iphone, etc., have no issues connecting and remaining connected to the Wifi Extender.

Thanks GAF for reading it and any help provided. I'll be around today for the next few hours in case anyone needs clarification on anything. Cheers

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My PC is suddenly freezing. When I got back home it wouldn't react to anything, after a reboot I let it be for a few minutes, WHen I came back the mouse moved around but the screen was basically frozen.

Ran a CheckDisk, came fine though the HDD BIOS said there is a SMART Event. Memory Test came without issues either.

Jzero

Yeah, now the computer doesn't even get passed the boot screen. I get the "HP" screen, but when it normally loads up Windows it just gives me a black screen with a flashing cursor. I think I'll have to bring it in for repair. Crap.
does it boot in safe mode?

My PC is suddenly freezing. When I got back home it wouldn't react to anything, after a reboot I let it be for a few minutes, WHen I came back the mouse moved around but the screen was basically frozen.

Ran a CheckDisk, came fine though the HDD BIOS said there is a SMART Event. Memory Test came without issues either.
Have you changed or installed something recently? Hardware or software?

Top Bottom