• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Ambitious

I'm looking for some kind of audio adapter or cable, but I have really no clue about audio hardware.
I've got my PS3 hooked up to my monitor, which has no speakers. I've got cheap external speakers with a jack plug, and the standard ps3 audio cable (cinch). So far I could not find such an adapter, that is cinch(socket) to jack (plug), only plug to plug. Could you point me to something on Amazon?

BigAT

So I'm having an odd problem with my BIOS. For whatever reason it runs extremely slow when I'm in the options during startup. There is a noticeable latency when switching between menus (a couple of seconds) where there used to be none and it just feels completely sluggish. In addition, my computer feels like it takes a little big longer to get through the POST sequence.

Any ideas on possible causes or solutions? My motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro with a quad-core Intel CPU.

Milchjon

So, my HDD on my laptop crashed. Luckily I was able to save a system image to an external HDD.

Now, I'm utterly useless with tech and in dire need of help:

Can I just put a new HDD in my laptop?
How do I get Win7 back on it since I'm pretty sure it didn't come with a reboot/recovery/system/whatever disk?
How do I proceed getting my stuff back on my PC from the system image?

Any input would be appreciated.

Soo I turn my PC on today and Dropbox warns me that my Dropbox folder is missing. I check My Computer and find that my second hard drive isn't accessible. There's an icon, but it doesn't show the usual used/free space underneath.

My PC is running Windows 7. The C: drive is a 120GB SSD, with the OS and all software installations. D: drive I believe is a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green SATA II HDD, where I keep all my large documents and media, including my Dropbox folder.

Any reason why this would suddenly happen? It's been a rock solid drive for over a year... I hope it hasn't died... all my data is on that drive :(

Welp, I didn't get a response to this, but I'm making some progress. I've been able to recover everything using some recovery software... I have now formatted the drive, and it seems to be working fine. Currently transferring everything I recovered back onto there.

So my question now is... if the hard drive is in good working order after a quick format, what could have caused it to be unreadable by anything but some recovery software?

Also keen to find some clues to this guys... if someone could offer an explanation, I might be able to prevent it happening again. Or if people think my hard drive is on the verge of dying and has only momentarily revived itself, I might go ahead and buy a new one.
For a new page... anyone?

McSmiggins

Neo Member
For a new page... anyone?

It comes down to your drive having corrupted/lost it's File Allocation Table or the journal for it depending on what format the disk was in before.

Imagine your hard drive is a massive library, with the files on it being books, but there's millions of books everywhere, it would be a complete mess and you'd never find anything. However you've got an index (the allocation table) so that you know where every part of every book is. There's multiple copies of this allocation table in the library, so you've got backups.

Whenever you create/move/edit change a file, you need to update the allocation table and then update all of the copies, if you lose power/pull the drive whilst it's updated say 3 of the 6 copies, how do you know which is the correct one?

In short it comes down to something corrupted the file allocation table in a way that it wasn't recoverable, so you've now got files all over the place and no way to work out where they all are.

In short the recovery program will look at every sector on the disk and work out where it's from and what file it belongs to (this is why it takes soooo long to scan as it needs to read everything.)

It's an interesting one, and it's rare, but it can happen (This is the main reason of why they say you should eject a USB drive as it makes sure all of the copies of the index are correct and up to date. (Plus all files are closed etc)

It's in interesting one, and it can happen, but it is rare. In terms of what caused it, it can come down to a few things, some mechanical (meaning you should change the drive), or it could have just been a power loss and you've been unlucky. I've seen drives like this go on for years, however, as with anything like this, I'd say replace the drive, if your documents etc on there are worth more to you than the price of the disk, replace it.

Hope that makes sense, if it doesn't just let me know.

McSmiggins

Neo Member
So, my HDD on my laptop crashed. Luckily I was able to save a system image to an external HDD.

Now, I'm utterly useless with tech and in dire need of help:

Can I just put a new HDD in my laptop?
How do I get Win7 back on it since I'm pretty sure it didn't come with a reboot/recovery/system/whatever disk?
How do I proceed getting my stuff back on my PC from the system image?

Any input would be appreciated.

What did you use to make the system image? The Windows built in tool? Assuming you did, Do you have access to anyone's Windows 7 machine? There's a "Create a system repair disc" option in Control Panel -> Backup and Restore which is what you'll need to get hold of.

If not, there's normally other ways around it.

It comes down to your drive having corrupted/lost it's File Allocation Table or the journal for it depending on what format the disk was in before.

Imagine your hard drive is a massive library, with the files on it being books, but there's millions of books everywhere, it would be a complete mess and you'd never find anything. However you've got an index (the allocation table) so that you know where every part of every book is. There's multiple copies of this allocation table in the library, so you've got backups.

Whenever you create/move/edit change a file, you need to update the allocation table and then update all of the copies, if you lose power/pull the drive whilst it's updated say 3 of the 6 copies, how do you know which is the correct one?

In short it comes down to something corrupted the file allocation table in a way that it wasn't recoverable, so you've now got files all over the place and no way to work out where they all are.

In short the recovery program will look at every sector on the disk and work out where it's from and what file it belongs to (this is why it takes soooo long to scan as it needs to read everything.)

It's an interesting one, and it's rare, but it can happen (This is the main reason of why they say you should eject a USB drive as it makes sure all of the copies of the index are correct and up to date. (Plus all files are closed etc)

It's in interesting one, and it can happen, but it is rare. In terms of what caused it, it can come down to a few things, some mechanical (meaning you should change the drive), or it could have just been a power loss and you've been unlucky. I've seen drives like this go on for years, however, as with anything like this, I'd say replace the drive, if your documents etc on there are worth more to you than the price of the disk, replace it.

Hope that makes sense, if it doesn't just let me know.
Thanks for the detailed reply McSmiggins. :)

It was certainly a strange one as the PC appeared to shutdown completely normally, and there wasn't a message saying 'Windows did not shutdown properly' when I turned it on the next day. It was only Dropbox that gave me a warning that it couldn't find the drive.

It's been back up and running for a week, everything appears normal. Surely if there was a mechanical failure in the drive, the problem would have shown up again by now? I'm now fully backed-up to an external drive, so I'm in not in too much of a hurry to decide whether this internal one should be replaced.

I have a wild theory as to why it might have happened... this hard drive (which might have its own power management as it's a 'Caviar Green'?) was set (to default) by Windows to power down after 20 minutes of being idle, which happened regularly, as it's a secondary drive for media storage only. It's pretty silent, but I can just about hear it spin up after it's been idle for a long time. This happens when I shutdown too (Windows makes it spin up, for a final check I guess), so maybe that is a problem? I have it set to never power down now just in case....

jam287

Banned
I have been recording videos with FRAPS (specifically the DayZ mod) and I'm wondering what is the best/fastest/easiest way to combine clips and compress them and keep the quality very good so that I can upload them to youtube or some other video site. I have currently been using VirtualDub and scouring the internet for guides/codecs/settings and have been experimenting and have been able to get my ~50GB 47 minute video down to about 6GB with very little quality loss but if I try to get it down much lower the quality drops drastically and anything under 1 or 2 GB is nearly unwatchable.

goodfella

Hi Tech-Gaf, I really need some feedback on how fucked I am/ may be.

So I have MSE installed as an antivirus, and I have never had any virus threats before that have been detected, I am generally savy when it comes to that sort of thing.

So today I noticed that MSE was not in my toolbar when I booted up, but I thought nothing of it, as I could still run it by going into the start menu. I assume that a restart will fix this. I did a quick scan and everything was ok.

For whatever reason, I decided to run MalwareBytes, and it came back with a threat!

'Trojan.Clicker.CT' located in - Windows\system32smrvcl32.exe

It is quarantined, but I can't delete them it I restart my PC.

What do I do now?
Can I just delete the threat and forget about it? Do I need to reinstall MSE?
Should I reset all my passwords? Should I do a system restore?

How serious is this is what I am asking, thanks for any help!

Edit: Just restarted my PC, everything seems normal, MSE is running normally, did a quick scan with MSE and MalwareBytes, they both found nothing.

Presumably I am in the clear.

Alrix

Me again techsupportGAF.

So I'm still getting beeps but I'm pretty sure what its from now. I put a different heatsink in and my mobo still isn't recognizing it, and the same thing goes for my chassis fan 2 (which actually isn't spinning, the led is on but it won't spin) and the power fan, which I assume is the psu fan, which is working.

Any ideas? I think the one case fan may actually be screwed, since I've tried connecting it to all the white 3-pin connectors from the case and none of them have worked.

This is what I see on my bios screen.
DGSqJ.jpg

These are the 3 pin connectors I'm talking about, the "girl" connector is all the way on the left of my hand, I've tried using all 3 of those other white 3-pin connectors towards the right and the fan (seen in the background) just won't spin.
uvXwb.jpg

This is the connector for the one fan that IS being recognized
aTgnn.jpg

thanks for any and all help.

Alrix

I was also wondering, since the computer can still start up and everything, if there was a program or something I could download and use to help tell me what the issue is.

mollipen

Hopefully this is a tech support-y type of question.

Okay, so graphic cards just utterly baffle me. I mean, their names and numbers might as well be a foreign language, because the seemingly random sequence of letters and numbers are meaningless to my brain.

I have two computers: a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo iMac with a Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics card (256MB VRAM), and a 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (512MB VRAM).

My expectation is that the MacBook Pro would be the better route to go for Diablo III (the one PC game I'll care about playing this year), but I also know that I don't know a damn thing about either of these graphic cards. Would I be correct in assuming that MBP is the first route I should go for trying to play Diablo III (just in terms of which machine would be better suited for doing so)?

Alrix

Hopefully this is a tech support-y type of question.

Okay, so graphic cards just utterly baffle me. I mean, their names and numbers might as well be a foreign language, because the seemingly random sequence of letters and numbers are meaningless to my brain.

I have two computers: a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo iMac with a Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics card (256MB VRAM), and a 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (512MB VRAM).

My expectation is that the MacBook Pro would be the better route to go for Diablo III (the one PC game I'll care about playing this year), but I also know that I don't know a damn thing about either of these graphic cards. Would I be correct in assuming that MBP is the first route I should go for trying to play Diablo III (just in terms of which machine would be better suited for doing so)?

Yeah

Strike

I'm still having this problem. It's actually getting annoying now, because I can't seem to solve this. Every time I try to use the "Save As" option on any program, it locks up. I've tried asking here before, but I didn't get any real advice.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Interesting (and frustrating) wifi problem in my office:

I and one other person in my office connect to our wifi via MacBook Pros (both running Lion, one is late 2010, one is late 2011). Our internet connection over the wifi connection is pretty terrible; pages will load or not load at random, but the connection never drops. Everyone else in the office uses Windows machines and has no problem with the wifi, nor are there problems making a connection when using an iPhone, iPad, or Android device. It's just the two MBPs that are having problems.

The interesting thing is that if I run Windows 7 in Parallels, the internet works great on the Windows side, but still sucks on the Mac side, so it's not a hardware issue. Any idea what might be wrong? I saw that some people were having wifi problems in Lion, but that seemed to be more about having connections drop, which we are not experiencing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

hmm can anyone here help me? I just purchased a tzb77 motherboard with an intel 15 2500k.... and I can't get it to boot.

I installed the motherboard, power supply into my new case, carefully installed the 15 2500k and heatsync... started up the pc... and nothing.... Odd because the pc starts up without the processor in their. but not with the processor/ heatsync installed.

Jzero

hmm can anyone here help me? I just purchased a tzb77 motherboard with an intel 15 2500k.... and I can't get it to boot.

I installed the motherboard, power supply into my new case, carefully installed the 15 2500k and heatsync... started up the pc... and nothing.... Odd because the pc starts up without the processor in their. but not with the processor/ heatsync installed.
Make sure you first try booting with the least amount of component in there fist. Use one stick of ram instead of all of them and make sure you connected every cable needed like the cpu fan cable.

Make sure you first try booting with the least amount of component in there fist. Use one stick of ram instead of all of them and make sure you connected every cable needed like the cpu fan cable.

Thanks, but I posted this same question in the other thread in gaming, thinking that nobody would reply to this one. And I solved the problem myself. Read my own stupidity here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37920775&postcount=9442

Sorry about that. :)

Help! Went to wake my Compaq laptop up from hibernation this morning and it wouldn't boot up.

Screen stayed blank
Fan came on and immediately cut off
Started to access the hard drive and immediately stopped
Caps and num lock indicator lights were flashing twice, then a pause, then twice again, etc...

I think I've determined it's a BIOS failure. Does this sound correct? If so, what are my solutions?

Divius

- My old, old C drive is dying
- Windows 7 + some other software is installed on there

Can I copy/clone Windows 7 (and hopefully every other installed program) from my C to my E drive without having to reinstall Windows (and the other programs)? If so, what software should I use?

I tried googling, but found mostly message boards users asking the same, some articles that made no sense and I suck at this shit so please just tell me what to do. Thanks.

Jzero

Help! Went to wake my Compaq laptop up from hibernation this morning and it wouldn't boot up.

Screen stayed blank
Fan came on and immediately cut off
Started to access the hard drive and immediately stopped
Caps and num lock indicator lights were flashing twice, then a pause, then twice again, etc...

I think I've determined it's a BIOS failure. Does this sound correct? If so, what are my solutions?
What model is your laptop? the light blinking codes are different with different models.

- My old, old C drive is dying
- Windows 7 + some other software is installed on there

Can I copy/clone Windows 7 (and hopefully every other installed program) from my C to my E drive without having to reinstall Windows (and the other programs)? If so, what software should I use?

I tried googling, but found mostly message boards users asking the same, some articles that made no sense and I suck at this shit so please just tell me what to do. Thanks.
You need HD Clone to clone everything from one HDD to the other. Your E drive will be erased though.

decaf

I reckon I've damaged the partition table data on my external 3TB Buffalo drive. I want to repair it, but none of the free EASEUS tools are doing the job - the physical disk doesn't show up in Windows Disk Management or any of the EASEUS tools.

I had a go at fixing it with various free tools a few months ago and managed to find the drive using a tool I was running through the Windows Command Prompt, but I've had to format since then and I've completely forgotten the name of the tool.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tools I should try to attempt to restore / recover data from the drive?

Cheers!

luoapp

I reckon I've damaged the partition table data on my external 3TB Buffalo drive. I want to repair it, but none of the free EASEUS tools are doing the job - the physical disk doesn't show up in Windows Disk Management or any of the EASEUS tools.

I had a go at fixing it with various free tools a few months ago and managed to find the drive using a tool I was running through the Windows Command Prompt, but I've had to format since then and I've completely forgotten the name of the tool.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tools I should try to attempt to restore / recover data from the drive?

Cheers!

Open the enclosure and connect the drive to the motherboard directly, see if Windows recognizes it.

decaf

Did you feel the drive spinning up?
Yeah, sounds just fine, normal humming, no clicking or anything like that.

Edit: Happened after a powercut last year. I reckon it's the boot sector or partition table data damaged. Like I said, managed to find it in a program once, but I can't recall the name of it.

decaf

Bit of progress, though I'm not sure how...

My 3TB drive is showing up under "Devices with Removable Storage" rather than "Hard Disk Drives" as "Removable Disk" (on Win 7 x64 here). 0 bytes used space and 0 bytes free space when I check properties.

Windows Disk Management stays stuck on "Loading disk configuration information..."

EASEUS Partition Master loads up, but the drive doesn't appear in any way.

Any ideas?

Edit: The option to Format came up too, but I'd rather not if possible. I'm guessing that wouldn't fix it anyway or I'd get a read / write error regardless?

Edit2: Tried several programs, but only iCare has detected the drive. Despite this, I can't see any files on it.

Alrix

So it turns out my beep codes are indicating a hardware component failure. Is this an issue with the motherboard itself or is it a different part?

Jzero

So it turns out my beep codes are indicating a hardware component failure. Is this an issue with the motherboard itself or is it a different part?
Depends, since it's a hardware component failure it could be your graphics card, memory, CPU, or motherboard you would have to do more troubleshooting.

Alrix

Depends, since it's a hardware component failure it could be your graphics card, memory, CPU, or motherboard you would have to do more troubleshooting.

Well the computer starts up, and I've played some TERA on it already so does that help anything? The reason i think it's the motherboard is because I'm having an issue where it's not recognizing my cpu cooler even though the cooler is working. I get a message saying "CPU Fan Error!" on the startup screen even though if the cooler wasn't working the computer wouldn't start up at all.

Milchjon

What did you use to make the system image? The Windows built in tool? Assuming you did, Do you have access to anyone's Windows 7 machine? There's a "Create a system repair disc" option in Control Panel -> Backup and Restore which is what you'll need to get hold of.

If not, there's normally other ways around it.

Late, but thanks, that should be possible. Now if only my friends weren't all on Mac ;-)

LayLa

Hi there
just set up my new pc and everythings good part from a small video issue
when watching any video content if there is some sideways movement a horizontal line can be seen slowly moving up the screen, slightly out of step with the rest of the video. I've tried vlc and mpc and also content online and it happens on all of them. if you wind the video back it happens at different points, so it's not the content. Is this a codec issue? The video card is hd6870, and I have installed latest cccp and k-lite via ninite.com (a combo that worked fine on my previous pc)
Any help gratefully received!

Vyer

Interesting (and frustrating) wifi problem in my office:

I and one other person in my office connect to our wifi via MacBook Pros (both running Lion, one is late 2010, one is late 2011). Our internet connection over the wifi connection is pretty terrible; pages will load or not load at random, but the connection never drops. Everyone else in the office uses Windows machines and has no problem with the wifi, nor are there problems making a connection when using an iPhone, iPad, or Android device. It's just the two MBPs that are having problems.

The interesting thing is that if I run Windows 7 in Parallels, the internet works great on the Windows side, but still sucks on the Mac side, so it's not a hardware issue. Any idea what might be wrong? I saw that some people were having wifi problems in Lion, but that seemed to be more about having connections drop, which we are not experiencing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What kind of router?

Whenever we have inconsistent wireless problems across devices/OSes, one of the first things we look for is updates to the router firmware or the device itself. Tends to be a big time saver more often than not.

snacknuts

we all knew her
What kind of router?

Whenever we have inconsistent wireless problems across devices/OSes, one of the first things we look for is updates to the router firmware or the device itself. Tends to be a big time saver more often than not.

Thanks for the response. It's a Netgear WNDR3300 and it is using the newest firmware available.

Okay, this is creeping me out. My YouTube history shows a ton of pornography (yes, on YouTube) that appears to be mostly Spanish or Portugese and it has millions of views. It also includes "epic fail" montages and some shitty music. It appears to have been viewed yesterday. So how the FUCK did it get here? The only computers I have logged into Google, as far as I know of, are my desktop and laptop, which I only use. Mother of god, imagine if I'm still logged in somewhere and somebody's using my stuff...

I'd like to believe it was my dad or brother, since it's possible they view this stuff. But how are they using my Google account? Here's what I'd like - I want to know how many computers I have logged onto recently and who has been using my account. This is disturbing and I want more control over my account.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, this is creeping me out. My YouTube history shows a ton of pornography (yes, on YouTube) that appears to be mostly Spanish or Portugese and it has millions of views. It also includes "epic fail" montages and some shitty music. It appears to have been viewed yesterday. So how the FUCK did it get here? The only computers I have logged into Google, as far as I know of, are my desktop and laptop, which I only use. Mother of god, imagine if I'm still logged in somewhere and somebody's using my stuff...

I'd like to believe it was my dad or brother, since it's possible they view this stuff. But how are they using my Google account? Here's what I'd like - I want to know how many computers I have logged onto recently and who has been using my account. This is disturbing and I want more control over my account.
Instinctually I'd say forego looking for a rational explanation and assume your account was compromised somehow- change your password immediately, clear your history for the last 48 hours, see if anything recurs.

Hey guys, quick question. Any idea why I have to start, hard reset, and then restart my desktop for the computer to boot? I built the machine. When I first start it, the fans run louder than when I restart and the BIOS splash page shows. Is it a power issue?

Please somebody end my nightmare.

I have an HP DV7 laptop with a Radeon HD 6490M GPU. HP Shipped the laptop with version 8.830.6.3000 of the driver for this graphics card and the catalyst control center.

This driver came out circa May 2011!!! HP doesn't host any drivers higher than 8.X on their website. However, on AMD's official website they list 12.4 (circa May 2012!) as being the most up to date driver for my GPU. Unfortunately when I try to download it from AMD using their little verification tool I'm greeted with this message:

AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer.

The version of your graphics adapter is not supported.

Please contact your notebook manufacturer for a graphics driver update.

So... AMD says I have to get the update from HP and HP doesn't have the update.

I just spent over an hour on the phone with HP tech support reaching up to their "highest level." We ended the call with the tech advising me to contact AMD and he would see what he can find out in the mean time. He was nice, and willing to accept responsibility on behalf of HP that this is something they should be taking care of and aren't.

I can't call AMD until Monday and I know what they're going to tell me. Yadda yadda yadda licensing whatever HP is the one who needs to provide the update there's nothing we can do.

This leaves me with... what as my options? Suck it up and deal with a computer with an effectively useless GPU?

If I buy a blank slate copy of Windows 7 64-bit with none of HP's crap on it and install it on my HDD do you think I will then be able to install the latest drivers. Obviously I have to install all the other drivers first but if I do the AMD driver updates first can I download and install all the rest without having any issues with it trying to roll back to what HP SAYS I should have?

For that matter... is it possible for any have access to the drivers I need and could send them to me via email?

What can I do?

jokkir

This should be a simple question (hopefully).

I have this problem where foreign language fonts keep disappearing and turning into squares on my computer. The letters specifically are Korean/Hangul lettering.

Anyone know how to get them back? It's been really annoying me for a while now because a bunch of my songs always end up having square track names and such. I'm on Windows 7

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have an issue with my PC, (Vista :/) but I don't know how to quite explain it. Basically, every so often the right click, like, won't work. I'll press the button on the mouse and the "back, forward, save as, properties" box will flash on screen for a split second and then disappear. I can't get it to stay on screen unless I restart the computer. But, when I go to restart, the same thing happens when I press

BDQnss.png

this button. The start menu will flash on screen, but then it disappears. It goes by so quickly that I can't even click the shut down button. When this happens, the only way to shut off my computer is to CTRL+ALT+DEL and then press the shut down button from that menu. WTF?

Halp!

The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv7-6178us.

I believe I just downloaded the drivers from AMD's website using a different computer. I used a DV6 with an AMD A8 processor and the integrated A8 graphics.

I know the card in this computer is different/integrated but I DID select my proper card from the drop down menus on AMD's website. The software ran and I was able to download a 150mb file. I'm just hoping that the drivers I downloaded were for the card I selected and that the AMD software didn't just find and direct me to whatever drivers are applicable to the integrated graphics automatically.

Assuming I now have the correct drivers for my GPU model will they work properly if I install them? Or does HP have to engineer their drivers specifically to function with their feature set/switching in mind? Will I damage any of the functionality of the switching option (or anything else) by installing these drivers?

If you mange to install them and you got it from manufacturer website, there should be little to no lost in functionality. You can rollback the drivers just in case something is not working as intended.

I have an issue with my PC, (Vista :/) but I don't know how to quite explain it. Basically, every so often the right click, like, won't work. I'll press the button on the mouse and the "back, forward, save as, properties" box will flash on screen for a split second and then disappear. I can't get it to stay on screen unless I restart the computer. But, when I go to restart, the same thing happens when I press

BDQnss.png

this button. The start menu will flash on screen, but then it disappears. It goes by so quickly that I can't even click the shut down button. When this happens, the only way to shut off my computer is to CTRL+ALT+DEL and then press the shut down button from that menu. WTF?

Halp!

It might be a problem related to the context menu. Download http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html and disable unneeded menu that appears in the right click menu. Chances are one of those item is causing the problem. Hopefully that works.

Top Bottom