• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

You guys help with internet problems in here?

For the past few weeks I've been trying to solve internet problems that have been affecting just one of my computers. I think this originally started when I was forced to reset my router to factory default. No other system on the network seems to have been affected.

The current problem with my computer is that sometimes the internet connection will slow down by a lot for a few minutes. Much of the time it's normal speed, for for periods of a few minutes it will slow down to essentially nothing, but won't actually go out completely. When I try to load web pages under these conditions, my browser (all of them) just sits there loading nothing forever, but won't actually give me a "connection lost" screen. Also, it might only be me, but the connection drops seem to get much worse late at night. I've tried just about every solution I can think of and can't even figure out exactly what the problem is.

The computer is a desktop on wireless. I don't think can move it to a place where there's a wired connection.
System Specs:
Dell XPS 420
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3069 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 289828 MB, Free - 43946 MB; D: Total - 15359 MB, Free - 5389 MB; G: Total - 476820 MB, Free - 78107 MB; H: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 220431 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0TP406
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

What I've Tried So Far:
Reinstalling the latest wireless drivers didn't work.
I've rebooted everything I can possibly reboot.
I've done several security scans with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes that turned up nothing.
I've reset the router several times.
I've gone between static and dynamic IP addresses with no change.
I've cleaned up all cache and temp files with CCleaner which changed nothing.
Changing the router's channel from 6 to 11 had no effect.
Windows diagnosis keeps saying nothing's wrong.
Forgetting and reacquiring my wireless network also doesn't work.
Clearing some registries in the Command Prompt also didn't work.
Disable SPI Firewall - Didn't work
Disable 108Mbps Features - Didn't work
Change NAT type to "open" - Didn't work

The same problem occurs in Safe Mode as well.

If I recall correctly something similar happened to my last wireless card before I decided to replace it. After I was forced to restore my router to factory defaults the connection on this computer would get slower in a similar way until it went out indefinitely. It could still detect wireless networks with excellent signal strength, but wouldn't connect, and I could never figure out why. It connected perfectly in Safe Mode and would also connect perfectly if I disabled all security in my router. Eventually I just replaced it with my current wireless card which worked fine for a few weeks, but is now experiencing slowdown which may or may not be related.

Hopefully its not a Vista related problem. Is there any program that manages you network other than Windows? It might be some sort of interference in your area that may be affecting your wireless connection.

Just dropped by 1k+ Vaio laptop on the side and the screen cracked!! How do i fix this? How expensive is it to fix it? What a horrible day.

Might be expensive considering it a Sony Vaio. You better call them up to see.

H3xum

Help me techGAF

So on win7 x64 SP1 downloaded, but it won't install. Fails every time.

I wiped out my temp directory, wiped out every trace of the kb number I could find locally on the machine, but still, no dice. I launch the updater and it goes right to the install phase and eventually fails.

Helpppppp

RedSwirl

Hopefully its not a Vista related problem. Is there any program that manages you network other than Windows? It might be some sort of interference in your area that may be affecting your wireless connection.

Where would you even get that kind of software?

I recently rebuilt my pc keeping same PSU and GPU's I have 2 x 4850 crossfire.
My problem is I will sometimes get black screen with pc still on and red leds will be on under both cards.
I cant turn off my pc, i have to unplug the psu to shut it down then when i reconnect psu it all works fine.
If you need more info feel free to ask.

PC specs are:I5 3570k, msi z77 GD65, AMD 4850 Crossfire, 750w Dell PSU, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8gb DC 1866,
Win 7 Ultimate

Jzero

That's the problem, this computer is a throw away. Fixed up with all sorts of random parts, so I'm trying to find the motherboard, so I can just go to the site.
Download Speccy and it should tell you what motherboard you have.

Uh oh. I'm not sure I remember seeing an 'Install Windows' type option when my computer boots up. It basically throws me right into a system setup / recovery screen. Am I already dead? I was under the assumption that my recovery discs were all I needed to get back and running. :(
Recovery disk should have the ability to install windows. You have to boot from the cd and choose "Custom(Advanced)" to clean install. I think you should just clone the drives if you have another computer to do it from.

Help me techGAF

So on win7 x64 SP1 downloaded, but it won't install. Fails every time.

I wiped out my temp directory, wiped out every trace of the kb number I could find locally on the machine, but still, no dice. I launch the updater and it goes right to the install phase and eventually fails.

Helpppppp
did you try installing it through Windows update or through the standalone download ?

Just dropped by 1k+ Vaio laptop on the side and the screen cracked!! How do i fix this? How expensive is it to fix it? What a horrible day.
What specific model is it? i'll find the right screen for it. The thing is that it's a little hard to replace it if you haven't taken apart a laptop before.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
is there any way to get control+I and control+B et cetera to turn the bold/italics on and off while posting? i really like those shortcuts but about a year ago or so it just stopped working in google chrome.

ACE 1991

I have a question about Windows Live Movie Maker. Does anyone know how to control how the pan and zoom effects? I'm making a slideshow for my aunt and I want to be able to zoom in on specific faces in a yearbook photo. Thanks!

This is such a vague problem that I can't begin to think how to diagnose it, but I hope you guys can help. I just built a new computer and am going through the process of installing all ~30 or so games I still have on discs. It's a really tedious process but I don't like double-dipping. I haven't had many problems but somewhere along the way, though something happened where for several games, whenever I try to run them, nothing will happen for several minutes, and if I check Task Manager, the game is running but at 0% CPU. If I End Task it and run it again, suddenly it works. What's even weirder is if I don't End Task it, after 2 or 3 minutes of waiting, suddenly the game will run. So something is holding up the run process every other time I try to run it.

Since it's happening to a lot of games, and only started sometime today, I assume it probably has something to do with a DirectX update or runtime or something that one of the games installs on the side, that's screwing with my computer's general ability. But I don't know how to figure out what. I've noticed it with the following games: Unreal Gold, Unreal Tournament, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, Silent Hill 2, Dawn of War, Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay ... Hmm, looks like it happens to games that are from 2005 or earlier. Not sure what to make of that; these same games were all running fine earlier today.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Quick hard drive question for you guys. I'm selling off an old HDD and I want to completely wipe it before I do. What's the best program for doing this? I know of DBAN but I'd prefer something within Windows that doesn't make my computer unusable for the duration of the program running (I'm not trying to wipe my OS drive). Thanks!

Jzero

Quick hard drive question for you guys. I'm selling off an old HDD and I want to completely wipe it before I do. What's the best program for doing this? I know of DBAN but I'd prefer something within Windows that doesn't make my computer unusable for the duration of the program running (I'm not trying to wipe my OS drive). Thanks!
Active Killdisk does a good job.

I think my psu just died
My comp shut off, power switch does nothing, checked cables and wall outlets, won't even turn psu fan on
But I get USB power, and can charge my phone

Swig_

Anyone know if there is a sure-fire way of making a backup of a bluray movie disc?

I bought a bluray burner a few months ago and have been trying to back up a few of my blurays, but I'm getting mixed results. Some work fine, some just start playing the movie (no title menu) and some copy, but won't run.

I've been using DVDFab to rip the BDs and ImgBurn to burn the new copy.

I don't know very much about bluerays or copying discs, so I won't be too savvy with technical details.

Emwitus

What specific model is it? i'll find the right screen for it. The thing is that it's a little hard to replace it if you haven't taken apart a laptop before.

Hey Jzero! Sorry for late reply. The model is a Vaio PCG-81312L

I think it's the F series.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks bud.

%24(KGrHqRHJDQE-n9m0Yd,BPv(yzZyJw~~60_57.JPG

Here's a pick of the model

mclem

I think this is the best place to ask this, but it's specifically an audio question rather than a full PC question.

I have a reasonably powerful laptop which sits downstairs with an HDMI-out for comfy couch gaming. I'd like to figure out how to get 5.1 from it to my amp.

My amp is old, though, and doesn't have any HDMI ins. My original plan was to plug the HDMI into my telly then use the optical out from the TV into the amp, but my TV seems to only want to do stereo passthrough, and as far as I can tell there's no way to force 5.1 passthrough - I can find quite a few responses that suggest that it's not possible with my telly, and rare with televisions in general.

The single cheapest option would be to pick up a 3.5mm optical cable or convertor and use that, but I'm curious about other options - particularly because I'm running out of inputs on my amp.

Any suggestions as to how to get a 5.1 signal from HDMI to my amp without breaking the bank?

MrBig

In case you don't go back to the PC thread
I think this is the best place to ask this, but it's specifically an audio question rather than a full PC question.

I have a reasonably powerful laptop which sits downstairs with an HDMI-out for comfy couch gaming. I'd like to figure out how to get 5.1 from it to my amp.

My amp is old, though, and doesn't have any HDMI ins. My original plan was to plug the HDMI into my telly then use the optical out from the TV into the amp, but my TV seems to only want to do stereo passthrough, and as far as I can tell there's no way to force 5.1 passthrough - I can find quite a few responses that suggest that it's not possible with my telly, and rare with televisions in general.

The single cheapest option would be to pick up a 3.5mm optical cable or convertor and use that, but I'm curious about other options - particularly because I'm running out of inputs on my amp.

Any suggestions as to how to get a 5.1 signal from HDMI to my amp without breaking the bank?

I use an HDMI to my TV, then optical to my amp just like you tried and 5.1 works fine for me, that sucks. You could try looking for a USB DAC/amp that has an optical out you can hook up to your Stereo/amp.
I didn't do any research on it but googling brought up this and this.

mclem

It's a good suggestion, but I could get much the same effect with getting a 3.5mm SPDIF cable and going direct from the laptop instead. The solution I'd like most would be something to get the audio from multiple HDMI inputs into an optical cable, that'd allow for keeping things simpler around the back of my telly.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-356344/samsung-lcd-audio-passthrough-issue/ is what made me believe it would only accept a 2-channel output.

Edit: Something interesting further down there - it seems disabling EDID on the 360 makes it work - is that effectively *forcing* 5.1 through the HDMI, despite the TV claiming it only accepts 2.0? Is there a way to force that from a laptop?

MrBig

It's a good suggestion, but I could get much the same effect with getting a 3.5mm SPDIF cable and going direct from the laptop instead. The solution I'd like most would be something to get the audio from multiple HDMI inputs into an optical cable, that'd allow for keeping things simpler around the back of my telly.

I doubt they make something like that just for an audio pass through, so you'll most likely have to get a new receiver. I'm in the same situation with an older receiver so I'm just lucky my TV can handle 5.1 correctly. It should all be digital so I'm not sure why the TV is interfering though, maybe try looking up your model and see if anyone else solved it?

e: yeah reading that it seems like they just didn't allow it to be able to handle a dolby signal and that's where it's failing. I've never hear of that before. I tried looking through the Nvidia control panel HDMI settings and windows audio panel settings, but I couldn't find anything relevant to just sending a straight 5.1 signal. perhaps you could try setting the receiver to not use any of the dolby settings?

mclem

I doubt they make something like that just for an audio pass through, so you'll most likely have to get a new receiver. I'm in the same situation with an older receiver so I'm just lucky my TV can handle 5.1 correctly. It should all be digital so I'm not sure why the TV is interfering though, maybe try looking up your model and see if anyone else solved it?

I was thinking more in terms of it being maybe an HDMI splitter with optical out as a bit of side-functionality. My TV's a Samsung LE40A656, I'm pretty sure it's much the same as the one that's being referenced in the linked thread.

Edit: I wonder if the key is whether the TV supports HDCP?

Hey guys.

My buddy has a very low end desk top he got from Wal-Mart and he wants to able to play Diablo 3 but cant.
We did the work around since he PC wasnt supported but even after the workaround and every setting turned down its still choppy and he can barely play.

He lives in another state, i asked for his PC info and this is the pic he sent me. Not sure if its enough info to figure out what card and such he should buy.

mikePC.png

Right now I think his card is integrated into the mobo.
Basically trying to to find the cheapest method of making it possible for him to play Diablo 3.

Jzero

Hey guys.

My buddy has a very low end desk top he got from Wal-Mart and he wants to able to play Diablo 3 but cant.
We did the work around since he PC wasnt supported but even after the workaround and every setting turned down its still choppy and he can barely play.

He lives in another state, i asked for his PC info and this is the pic he sent me. Not sure if its enough info to figure out what card and such he should buy.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/piikm/mikePC.png[/im]

Right now I think his card is integrated into the mobo.
Basically trying to to find the cheapest method of making it possible for him to play Diablo 3.[/quote]
You call that low end? Anyways all he needs is a new graphics card.

GAF, I need help with internet connection problem, specifically for games.

A while ago, I downloaded a game called Project Blackout. It's a free to play FPS game with a dinosaur mission. I played it the first day, and had 0 problems. A few days later, I simply cannot connect to the game. No, it's not a problem on the server's end. People are playing fine. I was able to get into the game, my characters, and everything, just that if I try to start a game, or join a game, I can't connect.

But here's the thing, recently, Vindictus released the 24 man raid where you connect to the server, and once again, I cannot connect to these rooms. Everything else is perfectly fine. I just cannot connect to these server hosted raids.

Normally, people would blame these game companies for the connection problem, but I seem to be the only one suffering from them. I have a feeling there's something wrong on my end and I don't know what to do. It only happens with these games where I need to connect to the servers.

Oh, one more strange issue. My D drive (Factory Image) has only 1% space left. WTF? I never put stuff in there to begin with. Why did it fill up? That doesn't look normal.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Hehe, thought it was lower end since he spent so little.

Any suggested cards? He doesnt have much money so he wants me to email him a link to a cheap one he can order and pop in.
What is your (or his) price range?

Also before you buy a card check some benchmarks to see if it can actually handle D3 at acceptable settings.

Edit: It's also worth noting that there's a good gaming PC thread on this forum where they'll have a ton of good graphics card suggestions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

In the cheap builds right now a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, GeForce GTX 460, or HD 6870 are recommended and they cost ~$110-145.

Famassu

So... External HDD (Western Digital), not that old (maybe 6 months), 2TB, tons of old pictures & shit on it... Decided to stop working. It turns on and if I wait long enough it does show up on the computer, but when I try to open the drive, nothing happens. Before it stopped working completely, it did start to kind of malfunction in a way that if I tried to move too much stuff from my computer to the external HDD at once, it copied files slower and slower until it didn't do anything at all anymore. What could be the problem and is it fixable? If not, is there at least some way to save the files or are my precious photos lost forever? :/

KaoticBlaze

just wanted to bump this because i still need help with this and ive had no replies from anyone yet :-(

hey everyone...im hoping i can get some help on a few issues im having with my pc. I'll start off by posting my specs:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Graphics: GTX 580 1.5GB
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX
Optical Drive: Asus DRW_24B1ST
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB

ok so basically this is my first pc ive built and its been up and running for almost 2 weeks now just fine...now the issues im having are:
1. when i first turn on my pc i get an error message that says "overclocking failed".

2. sometimes when i first turn on my pc or when it is in sleep mode (or coming off of sleep mode) my pc reboots itself about 4 times in about a 10 second span.

3. and lastly i actually just installed the heatsink today because i had the stock one that came with the cpu. so now when i turn on the pc it makes 2 beeps (aside from the normal beep it makes when normally powering on) and i get another error message that says "cpu fan failed" but i double checked that it was plugged in the right place and it is, also the fan does power on and spin.

if anyone can help me i would REALLY appreciate it. thanks.

What is your (or his) price range?

Also before you buy a card check some benchmarks to see if it can actually handle D3 at acceptable settings.

Edit: It's also worth noting that there's a good gaming PC thread on this forum where they'll have a ton of good graphics card suggestions: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

In the cheap builds right now a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, GeForce GTX 460, or HD 6870 are recommended and they cost ~$110-145.

Ok, I have some more info and have also did a bit of Google searching for his model (Acer AX1420G) and others seeking cards for it.
Havent came across a clear answer yet bu two factors seem to pop up alot..
1. His model is low profile (he has told me its a very small tower)
2. His PSU might not be strong enough
3. I dont think he has PCI-e slots

I really wanna ge him online, I need a partner for Diablo!, but dont wanna screw up finding him a card...and also dont wanna go through more troubles helping him find a PSU.
It was hard enough for me to get him to find this much info through emails and such, I just wanna send him a link for a card at like $125 max and then pray he can at least install it himself and be able to play on Low-Med settings.

Jzero

Ok, I have some more info and have also did a bit of Google searching for his model (Acer AX1420G) and others seeking cards for it.
Havent came across a clear answer yet bu two factors seem to pop up alot..
1. His model is low profile (he has told me its a very small tower)
2. His PSU might not be strong enough
3. I dont think he has PCI-e slots

I really wanna ge him online, I need a partner for Diablo!, but dont wanna screw up finding him a card...and also dont wanna go through more troubles helping him find a PSU.
It was hard enough for me to get him to find this much info through emails and such, I just wanna send him a link for a card at like $125 max and then pray he can at least install it himself and be able to play on Low-Med settings.
Confirm that his computer has PCI-e ports because if he doesn't he won't be able to find anything decent.

I checked the specs for the computer and it only has a 220 W power supply so that's going to be a big problem.

He will probably have to change the power supply to a more powerful one.

Confirm that his computer has PCI-e ports because if he doesn't he won't be able to find anything decent.

I checked the specs for the computer and it only has a 220 W power supply so that's going to be a problem.

He will probably have to change the power supply to a more powerful one.

Thanks man, Im gonna ask him tomorrow about the ports. I have an awful feeling hes gonna have to go with my suggestion of just putting a few bucks away a month for 3-4 months and then we do a big build. I told him we might run into problems that we cant deal with do to it being an off the shelf integrated Wal-Mart PC.

If I lived closer to him this would be so much easier. Aquiring info on his specs has been a headache since the launch of Diablo haha.
Thankfully I got lucky and my wife usually buys me what ever Dells selling as "high-end" gaming every 2-3 years. Ive done some minor-upgrades on my own but its always been so easy since I have ports out the ass, a big PSU, etc..I have an A+ cert but am still a PC noob to some degree, I work much better with the hardware in my face. Im getting a bit better but stll need more hands on time and his distance and lack of seeing his hardware/specs with my own eyes makes me a bit unconfident in making the right decision for him so I dont waste his money or seem like a fool.

Jzero

Thanks man, Im gonna ask him tomorrow about the ports. I have an awful feeling hes gonna have to go with my suggestion of just putting a few bucks away a month for 3-4 months and then we do a big build. I told him we might run into problems that we cant deal with do to it being an off the shelf integrated Wal-Mart PC.

If I lived closer to him this would be so much easier. Aquiring info on his specs has been a headache since the launch of Diablo haha.
Thankfully I got lucky and my wife usually buys me what ever Dells selling as "high-end" gaming every 2-3 years. Ive done some minor-upgrades on my own but its always been so easy since I have ports out the ass, a big PSU, etc..I have an A+ cert but am still a PC noob to some degree, I work much better with the hardware in my face. Im getting a bit better but stll need more hands on time and his distance and lack of seeing his hardware/specs with my own eyes makes me a bit unconfident in making the right decision for him so I dont waste his money or seem like a fool.

If he decides to use his current pc he's going to have to buy:

*This PSU (if it uses a mini itx psu)

And one of these graphics cards

*Nvidia

OR

*Amd

If he decides to use his current pc he's going to have to buy:

*This PSU (if it uses a mini itx psu)

And one of these graphics cards

*Nvidia

OR

*Amd

Excellent! Im gonna write these down and send them along. Pricing seems reasonable and it all looks perfect.
I worry about him installing the PSU tho, not so much the screw part but all the connections.
Trust me, this guy tried to explain to me how his PC would be a gaming monster once he got a TB HDD...

But anyways, you sir are a savior! Finally no more randoms in Diablo lol.

alternade

My question is mostly Itunes related. I recently moved my itunes library to a new hard drive but in the move my playlists have been emptied. If I plug my ipod back up to my pc, will the lists repopulate or will it wipe my ipod of the playlists?

Swig_

I have an ASUS G50VT-X laptop.. I'm using the power cord that came with it.. At home, plugged into an outlet, it works fine.. however, at work, I plug into a powerstrip (it's all filled up) and it either doesn't work at all or it barely works. Other powerstrips at work will give it power, but sometimes I have to jiggle the cord around a bit.

The thing that concerns me is that I have a friend who has a similar, newer ASUS laptop and his cord works fine.

My cord works fine at home and basically anywhere else I've used it.

I can't figure out why the cord isn't getting power. It may be that it is getting old (I've had it for maybe 4 years), but I don't understand why it would work fine anywhere else and why other similar power cords work just fine in the same plug.

Emwitus

Sorry dude unfortunately i could not find the specific replacement. I need to know the part number that is behind the actual lcd.

Hey Jzero. Thanks for the tips so far. I tried looking around for my actual LCD number online since i've never tried to open a laptop before and I'm afraid i'll break something(Noob LOL :( ) So, i don't know what else to do......Might have to send it in to sony. Hope it doesn't cost as much as the laptop itself. I'd rage so hard lol

Help. I got a Trojan in my lap top, I removed it my laptop and my laptop restarted 20 times, and the Trojan was gone. Hours later I had a severe warning from MSE. I tried to clean it but it was late at night and it was taking too long, so I shut my laptop down. My laptop started restarting and now it can't run. I tried safe mode in windows, and restored system, but Vista will still not run. I tried restored on Vista but it restarts before the restore is complete. what should I do to fix it?

MrBig

Help. I got a Trojan in my lap top, I removed it my laptop and my laptop restarted 20 times, and the Trojan was gone. Hours later I had a severe warning from MSE. I tried to clean it but it was late at night and it was taking too long, so I shut my laptop down. My laptop started restarting and now it can't run. I tried safe mode in windows, and restored system, but Vista will still not run. I tried restored on Vista but it restarts before the restore is complete. what should I do to fix it?

Stick the HDD in another system, back up all your data, format the drive, and then wipe it. Then put it back in your laptop, install windows, and then only copy over things that you need. No virus remover will guarantee anything, so this is really your only option.

Stick the HDD in another system, back up all your data, format the drive, and then wipe it. Then put it back in your laptop, install windows, and then only copy over things that you need. No virus remover will guarantee anything, so this is really your only option.
I have backed up all my data before hand into my external HDD. Thank you very much for the help. I will put the HDD into my old stationary. I did not know that I could remove the HDD from a laptop.

MrBig

I have backed up all my data before hand into my external HDD. Thank you very much for the help. I will put the HDD into my old stationary. I did not know that I could remove the HDD from a laptop.

There should just a be a panel on the bottom that can be removed with a few screws, google the model number to find out exactly what to do if it isn't obvious when you flip it over.

There should just a be a panel on the bottom that can be removed with a few screws, google the model number to find out exactly what to do if it isn't obvious when you flip it over.
I saw that When I flipped the laptop. All I'm missing is data cable and power cable to connect it to my stationary. Thank you so much for your help.

MrBig

I saw that When I flipped the laptop. All I'm missing is data cable and power cable to connect it to my stationary. Thank you so much for your help.

There should be a sata power cable coming from the PSU in the desktop, most likely hanging from the HDD that's currently on there. If there isn't a spare sata data cable in there they should just be a dollar or two at an elctronics store like Radioshack or Fry's.
Otherwise you could just go ahead and re-install windows from a CD/USB and format from it's installer and skip wiping the drive since it's not vital.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Hey guys I just started getting a weird issue today with my PC and was wondering if any of you had any idea of what the problem might be. As of this morning my PC seems to have started freezing whenever I get to the Windows login screen when I start the computer. Either I get the actual login screen but it's frozen, I get a black screen with the cursor showing but frozen, or just a black screen with nothing else. Sometimes there appears to be some sort of artifact on the screen (a horizontal line that goes part of the way across the screen). This happens roughly 80% of the time, the other 20% I am able to get into Windows although once it froze a minute or so after I logged in. Safe mode seems to work fine but I've only tried it twice so far.

My temperatures look to be good, my motherboard isn't showing any errors and I don't know what would be causing it. I can't think of any changes that have been made since yesterday. I installed a new graphics card and video drivers about a week ago or so but I haven't had any issues with them before. Also I'm running Windows 7 if that matters. Any help would be great!

Top Bottom