• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv7-6178us.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=5082216

The graphics card drivers are from November 2011, it seems. If you're going beyond that by going directly to the chipset manufacturer, you might end up with a malfunctioning graphics card in the worst case. If you know how to roll back to a reliably working version, you can of course take that risk. That is your call to make. I'm not sure what happens to your warranty if things go haywire with the new driver installed, but it would surprise me a lot if your laptop exploded or something. But I really don't know for sure it's a safe thing to do. At least benchmark the thing after having installed a "bleeding edge" driver, and look for weird artifacts, triangles, stuff like that. If you could monitor the GPU temperature over a longer period of time, that would be advisable. That's all I got.

Nemesis_

So guys, a quick question.

We're converting my home movies to DVDs and such as we speak, but a lot of members of the family want them on their HDDs.

Is there a program or something where I can nominate a "master library" and as soon as I plug in a hard drive it will automatically sync whatever hasn't already been synced? So I don't have to manually transfer them all across.

(We do a lot of things as a family, have a lot of photos and videos, and at least five different people who want copies, so a solution like this would be so good for me)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=5082216

The graphics card drivers are from November 2011, it seems. If you're going beyond that by going directly to the chipset manufacturer, you might end up with a malfunctioning graphics card in the worst case. If you know how to roll back to a reliably working version, you can of course take that risk. That is your call to make. I'm not sure what happens to your warranty if things go haywire with the new driver installed, but it would surprise me a lot if your laptop exploded or something. But I really don't know for sure it's a safe thing to do. At least benchmark the thing after having installed a "bleeding edge" driver, and look for weird artifacts, triangles, stuff like that. If you could monitor the GPU temperature over a longer period of time, that would be advisable. That's all I got.

What do I use to monitor the GPU temperature?

So, I have my new PC built and up and running, Windows installed and all the other must-haves, including CCCP codec pack. But I've noticed something weird this time around: whenever I play a movie and make it bigger, either by doubling it or going fullscreen, the picture isn't smoothed or anti-aliased at all, it simply quadruples the pixels, making for a pixelated look. I'm sure this wasn't the case before, videos always looked smoother when fullscreen even if they were at a smaller resolution. What could be the cause of this? I re-installed CCCP and left all the default settings unchanged (I don't know what most of the mean) but it still happens.

Also, it's fixed in WMP for some reason, looks smoother. But it's WMP.

Hey guys, planning on rebuilding my computer with a new Case, CPU, and heatsink. The heatsink comes with some of that conductive gel to put on the CPU. This is my first time installing a new CPU, how should I apply the gel? Do I just do a dot in the center? Do I just spread it all over the top.

Also, assuming I succeed in getting this up and running. What's the best software/method to test out overclocking?

Alrix

Checking in again, still getting beep codes on startup indicating a hardware component failure. The computer starts up and runs, and I'm trying to find a way to figure out which piece of hardware is the one failing. As I posted on the previous page, I'm suspicious of my motherboard, but I need a way to find out for sure. Has anyone had this problem and found some kind of diagnostic software that can tell me what parts are faulty?

Thanks TechSupportGAF

codhand

Anyone else running XP Pro getting a looping bundle of three .NET Framework 2.0 updates? Third time I've installed them today on two separate computers.

Seanbob11

Hey support guys, I'm sure this is a hardware issue but I would still like some input in any of you could help.

I've been given my Aunts 3GS, the battery was going from 100% to dead overnight on stand-by. Naturally I did a restore to see if that would fix her issues and also deleted the apps she had downloaded. This didn't seem to help so I ordered a new battery.

I've done my fair share of iPhone repairs, including my iPhone 4's screen as well as several other parts so I wasn't daunted by the task. I've replaced the battery but it seems that the phone will be fine when plugged into the mains but whenever it's on battery power it only lasts 20-30 minutes before dying. Then it struggles with getting a signal or wifi once you plug it back into the power for a while before finally regaining before signal and wifi connectivity.

I should say that the phone is 2 years old and was out of warranty or else I'd have just taken it to the Apple shop. Is there any advice that you could give me, or even point me to a more appropriate thread?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hey guys, planning on rebuilding my computer with a new Case, CPU, and heatsink. The heatsink comes with some of that conductive gel to put on the CPU. This is my first time installing a new CPU, how should I apply the gel? Do I just do a dot in the center? Do I just spread it all over the top.

Also, assuming I succeed in getting this up and running. What's the best software/method to test out overclocking?

It depends on what you have. Normally I apply a dot in the center, then use a razor blade to spread it in a thin and even coat, about as thin as a sheet of paper across the entire thing. Then in one fell move apply the heatsink without moving it.

Heres a pretty good guide:
http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

Checking in again, still getting beep codes on startup indicating a hardware component failure. The computer starts up and runs, and I'm trying to find a way to figure out which piece of hardware is the one failing. As I posted on the previous page, I'm suspicious of my motherboard, but I need a way to find out for sure. Has anyone had this problem and found some kind of diagnostic software that can tell me what parts are faulty?

Thanks TechSupportGAF

What motherboard is it, and what pattern beeps are you getting. Some motherboards have different patterns for different components. You can also test by slowly removing components one by one until the beeping stops.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Anyone else running XP Pro getting a looping bundle of three .NET Framework 2.0 updates? Third time I've installed them today on two separate computers.

Yes. If you aren't actively using .NET 2.0, you might as well ignore them (manual install, take the checkboxes away, something like that).
The instructions on how to tackle this on the internet include gems like "get rid of everything .NET". So... Don't do that, of course. Unless you hate time and joy and living.

It depends on what you have. Normally I apply a dot in the center, then use a razor blade to spread it in a thin and even coat, about as thin as a sheet of paper across the entire thing. Then in one fell move apply the heatsink without moving it.

Heres a pretty good guide:
http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

Thanks, it's a Cooler master hyper 212 Plus
tYJiT.jpg

Looks rather unconventional compared to regular heatsinks. I even found reports of people who would apply the paste to the little pipes, but I think I'll go with the "standard" method in your tutorial there.

Thanks.

cevansdust

Neo Member
My girlfriend's mother has an hp pc running Window's Vista. They recently switched their internet over to Comcast Clear. Anyways with the switching of the internet came the inability to connect to the internet through her laptop. It connects to the home network but not the internet.

I have tried everything I can think up such as setting up static ip's, trying software that supposedly fixes the problem and multiple forums threads. The problem seems to be tied to vista and the type of internet security they are now using from my research. Any suggestions?

mblitek

Domain GAF help me!

So I want to set up a custom URL shortener on bit.ly using my own domain I just got:

http://ggea.rs

So the Domain Register has this to change:

5dzzL.jpg

Bit.ly tells me to do this:

Setting up your DNS:
Set the DNS A record for ggea.rs to point to 69.58.188.49

What do I do? It wont allow me to add just one IP?

HELP!

Alrix

What motherboard is it, and what pattern beeps are you getting. Some motherboards have different patterns for different components. You can also test by slowly removing components one by one until the beeping stops.

This is the motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767R

The beeps are 1 long followed by 4 short (it was 5 short, but I moved the two sticks of RAM to different slots and it reduced to 4), and according to the user manual for the board this just means "hardware component failure". Like I said, the computer is starting up and I've been installing/running programs fine, so maybe it's the RAM that is my issue? I tried to use a "test my hardware" program to see if there were issues with my parts but it didn't seem to really test them for malfunction. the one interesting thing I saw was that it listed me as only having 4 GB of memory when I have 8.

That still wouldn't explain my "CPU Fan Error!" message, but at least it would explain the beeps.

I was really hoping that there would be some kind of software to test for malfunctioning parts since I'm still able to get the computer started and online but I haven't had any luck so far, lol.

Alrix

Updating my issue, I set my BIOS to ignore the CPU fan and the fans that weren't being recognized and the beeps went away. This is the second CPU heatsink I've tried and had the same beeps with both of them. Is this an issue with my motherboard or just something small I can work out?

mblitek

Updating my issue, I set my BIOS to ignore the CPU fan and the fans that weren't being recognized and the beeps went away. This is the second CPU heatsink I've tried and had the same beeps with both of them. Is this an issue with my motherboard or just something small I can work out?

I'm no expert but that sounds like a motherboard error to me.

Anyways, my problem is solved and now I have my own custom URL shortener

http://ggea.rs

Woohoo! Follow me @greaseandgears . My new website is almost up and running right now things are sorted properly but my Twitter account is functioning pretty well.

Back to the regular tech support now!

I have an HP Pavilion desktop and took out the original hdd and replaced it with a western digital caviar black 1 tb hdd. When I turn on my computer I see the hp splash screen like normal but when windows would normally boot up I now get an error message that says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". What do I do now? I'm using vista btw.

Jzero

I have an HP Pavilion desktop and took out the original hdd and replaced it with a western digital caviar black 1 tb hdd. When I turn on my computer I see the hp splash screen like normal but when windows would normally boot up I now get an error message that says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". What do I do now? I'm using vista btw.
Did you clone or install windows in the new hard drive?

KaoticBlaze

hey everyone...im hoping i can get some help on a few issues im having with my pc. I'll start off by posting my specs:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Graphics: GTX 580 1.5GB
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX
Optical Drive: Asus DRW_24B1ST
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB

ok so basically this is my first pc ive built and its been up and running for almost 2 weeks now just fine...now the issues im having are:
1. when i first turn on my pc i get an error message that says "overclocking failed".

2. sometimes when i first turn on my pc or when it is in sleep mode (or coming off of sleep mode) my pc reboots itself about 4 times in about a 10 second span.

3. and lastly i actually just installed the heatsink today because i had the stock one that came with the cpu. so now when i turn on the pc it makes 2 beeps (aside from the normal beep it makes when normally powering on) and i get another error message that says "cpu fan failed" but i double checked that it was plugged in the right place and it is, also the fan does power on and spin.

if anyone can help me i would REALLY appreciate it. thanks.

hypernima

Banned
crap, so the laptop im borrowing lost sound in its speakers but not in the headphones.

I was watching a stream and it went into hibernation when i restarted it it could only get sound by use of headphones only.

i reinstalled the drivers and even system restored to no avail. ive got to get this fixed somehow.

crap, so the laptop im borrowing lost sound in its speakers but not in the headphones.

I was watching a stream and it went into hibernation when i restarted it it could only get sound by use of headphones only.

i reinstalled the drivers and even system restored to no avail. ive got to get this fixed somehow.

Chances are is that the speakers need replacing. Also, you can try and see if you keep plugging and unplugging your headphones to see if the speakers miraculously gets fixed.

Ferny

hey everyone...im hoping i can get some help on a few issues im having with my pc. I'll start off by posting my specs:

ok so basically this is my first pc ive built and its been up and running for almost 2 weeks now just fine...now the issues im having are:
1. when i first turn on my pc i get an error message that says "overclocking failed".

2. sometimes when i first turn on my pc or when it is in sleep mode (or coming off of sleep mode) my pc reboots itself about 4 times in about a 10 second span.

3. and lastly i actually just installed the heatsink today because i had the stock one that came with the cpu. so now when i turn on the pc it makes 2 beeps (aside from the normal beep it makes when normally powering on) and i get another error message that says "cpu fan failed" but i double checked that it was plugged in the right place and it is, also the fan does power on and spin.

Im having an issue kind of like yours. If anyone can shed some light on it. I want to see what may be the problem.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know an alternative to MotionJoy?

Seems it doesn't mix well with the Logitech drivers for my keyboard and mouse. In some games I just go back to the desktop (like alt+tab) when I click the mouse. This happens mostly in BF3, but it happens in other games too on occasion.

Removing MotionJoy fixes it, so I assume that's whats causing it.

Edit: It started happening without MotionJoy now. I guess its a BF3 issue.

Reseil

The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv7-6178us.

I believe I just downloaded the drivers from AMD's website using a different computer. I used a DV6 with an AMD A8 processor and the integrated A8 graphics.

I know the card in this computer is different/integrated but I DID select my proper card from the drop down menus on AMD's website. The software ran and I was able to download a 150mb file. I'm just hoping that the drivers I downloaded were for the card I selected and that the AMD software didn't just find and direct me to whatever drivers are applicable to the integrated graphics automatically.

Assuming I now have the correct drivers for my GPU model will they work properly if I install them? Or does HP have to engineer their drivers specifically to function with their feature set/switching in mind? Will I damage any of the functionality of the switching option (or anything else) by installing these drivers?

I've got a DV7 as well with integrated GPUx2. One Intel HD and one Radeon HD. The Radeon uses the HP specific drivers from last year like yours and I've had zero issues.

Question.. what is it doing that makes you think the drivers need to be udpated?

oompa

I had the same issue as #3. It was because the BIOS was trying to run the CPU fan at a lower minimum fan speed than I guess was possible with that fan. If you have the same problem you can go into your BIOS settings and you will see your CPU fan speed show up in the color red. You just need to boost the minimum fan speed for the CPU fan I think I had to change it from a default 500 to 600.

Joico

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475262&highlight=

Windows 7 Ultimate PC Boot Loop Error *Help* #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently I have major issues with Windows 7. It is stuck in an inifite boot loop. The error that shows up is 0xc0000225.

I have tried the following:

bootrec.exe \FixMbr and all of the various activities within bootrec.exe.

Windows Start Up Repair using official Win 7 Install CD- didn't work since it said I had NoOsInstalled

I can't boot into safe mode. I can get into the command prompt and try sfc /scannow but that comes back stating I have a *startup repair pending....*

I do have Hiren's Boot CD 15.1 which I have used to run the WinXP kernel on my computer to scan with antiviral/adware programs which have not solved anything.

Ashhong

I need some help guys. For some reason I have a Diablo 3 shortcut pinned to my taskbar that I cannot right click and unpin. There are no options when I right click. It does launch the game when I left click though. As you can see in my picture, Diablo is not in the "pinned applications" folder, yet it's there on my taskbar. Is there somewhere in the registry I can go or something?

t5e5X.jpg

LuchaShaq

Banned
Anyone have any experience dual monitoring while gaming? Say diablo on one and netflix or hbo go on the other?

Thinking about getting a second monitor. My system isn't exactly beefy.

6GB ram 2.8 ghz CPU Windows 7 NVIDIA 9800GTX+

If I could do this without much of a performance hitch I'd be excited to do so.

I need some help guys. For some reason I have a Diablo 3 shortcut pinned to my taskbar that I cannot right click and unpin. There are no options when I right click. It does launch the game when I left click though. As you can see in my picture, Diablo is not in the "pinned applications" folder, yet it's there on my taskbar. Is there somewhere in the registry I can go or something?

t5e5X.jpg

https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4008051751
Hopefully your solution is here.

Anyone have any experience dual monitoring while gaming? Say diablo on one and netflix or hbo go on the other?

Thinking about getting a second monitor. My system isn't exactly beefy.

6GB ram 2.8 ghz CPU Windows 7 NVIDIA 9800GTX+

If I could do this without much of a performance hitch I'd be excited to do so.
What kind of CPU is that specifically? I imagine if that was a Core 2 DuoQuad Core or i3/i5/i7, you should be able to do it without a hitch.

No .. Should I pop my hp recovery discs in?

Edit: I'm thinking that's what I have to do as I verified my drive is showing up in setup ...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684708&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Yup you have to clone the hard drives or re-install vista through cd since the hard drive doesn't come with it pre installed.

Recovery is freezing at 20%. What do I do if I can't get it to work? Do I have to buy a new copy of Windows?

TrounceX

So I think my SSD is starting to die and/or is already dead.

Basically I'm getting a lot of random file corruption upon startup. This has been going on for a while, and getting progressively worse. First it was just random stuff like certain programs needing to be reinstalled. Now though, it's starting to hit my actual windows files. Missing DLL's, failed to start services, failed to decompress this that and the other,etc.

This morning I am now missing "riched20.dll" which apparently corresponds to everything haha.

It's definitely my SSD though, right? Should I even bother reinstalling Windows at this point?

So my families computer crashed and I used the recovery disc to fix it, but now the audio plug in wont work. It doesn't recognize any audio equipment. Hardware problem or software?

RedSwirl

You guys help with internet problems in here?

For the past few weeks I've been trying to solve internet problems that have been affecting just one of my computers. I think this originally started when I was forced to reset my router to factory default. No other system on the network seems to have been affected.

The current problem with my computer is that sometimes the internet connection will slow down by a lot for a few minutes. Much of the time it's normal speed, for for periods of a few minutes it will slow down to essentially nothing, but won't actually go out completely. When I try to load web pages under these conditions, my browser (all of them) just sits there loading nothing forever, but won't actually give me a "connection lost" screen. Also, it might only be me, but the connection drops seem to get much worse late at night. I've tried just about every solution I can think of and can't even figure out exactly what the problem is.

The computer is a desktop on wireless. I don't think can move it to a place where there's a wired connection.
System Specs:
Dell XPS 420
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3069 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 289828 MB, Free - 43946 MB; D: Total - 15359 MB, Free - 5389 MB; G: Total - 476820 MB, Free - 78107 MB; H: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 220431 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0TP406
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

What I've Tried So Far:
Reinstalling the latest wireless drivers didn't work.
I've rebooted everything I can possibly reboot.
I've done several security scans with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes that turned up nothing.
I've reset the router several times.
I've gone between static and dynamic IP addresses with no change.
I've cleaned up all cache and temp files with CCleaner which changed nothing.
Changing the router's channel from 6 to 11 had no effect.
Windows diagnosis keeps saying nothing's wrong.
Forgetting and reacquiring my wireless network also doesn't work.
Clearing some registries in the Command Prompt also didn't work.
Disable SPI Firewall - Didn't work
Disable 108Mbps Features - Didn't work
Change NAT type to "open" - Didn't work

The same problem occurs in Safe Mode as well.

If I recall correctly something similar happened to my last wireless card before I decided to replace it. After I was forced to restore my router to factory defaults the connection on this computer would get slower in a similar way until it went out indefinitely. It could still detect wireless networks with excellent signal strength, but wouldn't connect, and I could never figure out why. It connected perfectly in Safe Mode and would also connect perfectly if I disabled all security in my router. Eventually I just replaced it with my current wireless card which worked fine for a few weeks, but is now experiencing slowdown which may or may not be related.

Emwitus

Just dropped by 1k+ Vaio laptop on the side and the screen cracked!! How do i fix this? How expensive is it to fix it? What a horrible day.

you have to clean install it not recover.

Uh oh. I'm not sure I remember seeing an 'Install Windows' type option when my computer boots up. It basically throws me right into a system setup / recovery screen. Am I already dead? I was under the assumption that my recovery discs were all I needed to get back and running. :(

Top Bottom