• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Owensboro

Is there a way to get specific programs to output their sound to a specific device?

For instance, I have my PC hooked up to a TV as a second monitor. With the Olympics coming up I'm going to want to stream them on the TV (2nd Monitor) with sound coming from the TV while playing a game on my Main Monitor and having the game's sound output to my computer speakers / Headphones I have hooked into my computer speakers.

I've done a little digging around and can't find an answer for Windows 7 64bit. Anyone know of a solution?

MrBig

Is there a way to get specific programs to output their sound to a specific device?

For instance, I have my PC hooked up to a TV as a second monitor. With the Olympics coming up I'm going to want to stream them on the TV (2nd Monitor) with sound coming from the TV while playing a game on my Main Monitor and having the game's sound output to my computer speakers / Headphones I have hooked into my computer speakers.

I've done a little digging around and can't find an answer for Windows 7 64bit. Anyone know of a solution?

If you go into control panel > sound > recording, set stereo mix as default, go into properties, listen, check listen to this, and then change the playback to whatever, it might work for you. My setup is a xonar dg with my headphones on that speakers on my onboard sound. So mess with that and see if you can get it working.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Help needed, please.
Windows 7 Professional, 32bit running on a Lenovo x100e Laptop.
I had a ZeroAccess/Sirefef.R/Sirefef.AH infection recently and was able to remove it successfully.

The Viruses disabled Microsoft Security Essentials while active. I uninstalled it.
As of now, I cannot re-install MSE and ThinkVantage System Update also won't start. Tried several MSE and Firewall-related Microsoft Fix-Its, but to no avail.

Anybody got an idea?

Roofy

Help needed, please.
I had a ZeroAccess/Sirefef.R/Sirefef.AH infection recently and was able to remove it successfully.

The Viruses disabled Microsoft Security Essentials while active. I uninstalled it.
As of now, I cannot re-install MSE and ThinkVantage System Update also won't start. Tried several MSE and Firewall-related Microsoft Fix-Its, but to no avail.

Anybody got an idea?

CCcleaner the registry

Whogie

My parent's machine was just hit by that virus. I ended up doing an upgrade install over itself once the virus was cleaned. Works fine now; lots of waiting but very little effort.

cackhyena

I plan on putting together a new build in a few days. I'm still going to use the SSD for this, so that means wiping it to accommodate Windows 7 64 bit. Was 32 before with my old one. I haven't had to wipe a SSD or HDD clean for that matter...ever. Wondering what steps I take to do this?

MrBig

I plan on putting together a new build in a few days. I'm still going to use the SSD for this, so that means wiping it to accommodate Windows 7 64 bit. Was 32 before with my old one. I haven't had to wipe a SSD or HDD clean for that matter...ever. Wondering what steps I take to do this?

When installing windows do a custom install and format the drive from the installer. Google for specifics.

OK I keep seeing the crashing issues even with the replacement memory from amazon (swapped out with an RAM replacement).

It seems like with 8gb of the original memory I got works well and I have had no crashes with just 8gm, but when I add 2 more sticks I start having crashes in Chrome and Saints Row the Third.

Could it be a board issue? Or should i try a different brand of ram? I have in there Corsair Vengeance LP ram.

EDIT: Now it is also crashing with just 8GB of ram now.

Should I look at switching brands?

Running Memtest-86 right now on just 8GB. 30 minutes in, no issues yet

The Lamp

I have a PC with two GTX 460 1GB cards.

I recently moved my computer, unplugged the one monitor attached to one card, and Wacom tablet attached to the other.

When I plugged it back in, I'm not sure if I put them back in the right sockets. Whatever. Now my computer will only "recognize" the monitor or whatever once I get to the Windows log-in screen. But during BIOS, the monitor is completely blank. I checked my settings, my set-up is still the same as it was, with my monitor being the default monitor and my Wacom being the secondary, and everything works like it should on that end.

So I don't know what could be wrong or how to fix it. So annoying.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Help needed, please.

Anybody got an idea?

Have you tried booting into safe mode to install MSE?

MrBig

Have you tried booting into safe mode to install MSE?

You cannot install things in safe mode; that's part of why it's "safe" mode

Best thread I could find for this, so my apologies if it's unacceptable.

Any places to buy a good laptop that isn't pre-loaded with bloatware?

You could always format the windows installation; but vizio sells their stuff without any bloat iirc.

I have a PC with two GTX 460 1GB cards.

I recently moved my computer, unplugged the one monitor attached to one card, and Wacom tablet attached to the other.

When I plugged it back in, I'm not sure if I put them back in the right sockets. Whatever. Now my computer will only "recognize" the monitor or whatever once I get to the Windows log-in screen. But during BIOS, the monitor is completely blank. I checked my settings, my set-up is still the same as it was, with my monitor being the default monitor and my Wacom being the secondary, and everything works like it should on that end.

So I don't know what could be wrong or how to fix it. So annoying.

Try switching the ports and testing what happens when you only have the primary connected at boot

Combichristoffersen

You cannot install things in safe mode; that's part of why it's "safe" mode

You can install software in safe mode just fine, I just downloaded and installed the latest versions of Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I tested installing MSE in safe mode too, but that didn't work. OnkelC, try booting into safe mode and run the two programs I mentioned to check for any traces of the virus.

The Lamp

Try switching the ports and testing what happens when you only have the primary connected at boot

I did that....I tried different ports and having only one thing plugged in....it still doesn't cooperate. It'll just stay blank until I plug it back in the way it was.

It's so weird :(

I figure this is the right place to ask. Has anyone ever used Corel PHOTO-PAINT X3? It was working fine a couple of days ago, but now it quits every time it reaches "Creating Application Environment" when booting up.

I have tried downloading both service packs for the application, searching the internet for answers, and restarted my computer several times. The only thing I can think of that I really did was remote desktop and updating Path of Exile to the latest path.

Corel DRAW X3 still works.

squall23

Hi, I have a problem with my USB ports. My computer came with USB1 ports at the back and USB2 ports at the front. The USB2 ports are part of a hub that also consists of an audio and microphone port, and A/V in port and a 1394 port. The problem is that the USB2 ports don't work anymore. I initially thought it might have been wiring problems but the audio ports work just fine. My USB1 ports at the back are also working. Any help?

Also, I'm running Vista 64-bit on this computer.

Hey guys, hope you may be able to help me with a problem I'm having. I asked it in the stupid questions OT but someone said I may have more luck here.

I have a problem with my laptop's battery. It wont charge anymore. I took it on vacation with me to the US but I couldn't charge it there because the charger would fit neither into the socket or the transformer I brought with me. Now I did use the laptop until it nearly ran out of battery (I think I still had around 2% left). but it was completely drained when I got back home again after 3 weeks.Now, the only way I can use my laptop is when I put it into the charger. As soon as I take it out, my laptop turns of.

Is there a way to let the battery charge again or should I buy a new battery?

moojito

Aside from Microsoft security essentials, do I need any other antivirus/malware protection?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you do, no. I've been using mse and chrome for a long time now and don't seem to have any problems with spyware. I've had mse pop up once or twice over the years and it's just come up to tell me it got rid of something.

Combichristoffersen

Aside from Microsoft security essentials, do I need any other antivirus/malware protection?

Thanks in advance.

Unless you tend to visit seedy websites and run cracked software, no, not really. But it doesn't hurt to install Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and run them once in a while just to check for malware and such (but remember to use msconfig to disable them from autostarting when Windows starts to avoid them hogging memory and system resources).

Ok, no idea what is going on but I'll explain the situation and hopefully somebody has an idea!

It started with me not being able to access Steam. The updating window came up but the bar didn't move at all. Then certain sites wouldn't load. Youtube would load but videos would. Restarted my PC a number of times. Rebooted the router and then reset it to factory settings. Still nothing. Restarted my PC again and now no sites are loading. I'm connected to the network, but not the internet. Throughout all of this, my laptop has had no problems at all, and every other PC/device on our network has been fine. Scanned with MSE and Malwarebytes and nothing came up. So I've got no idea what to try now...

#COBOKBYE

Neo Member
Ok, no idea what is going on but I'll explain the situation and hopefully somebody has an idea!

It started with me not being able to access Steam. The updating window came up but the bar didn't move at all. Then certain sites wouldn't load. Youtube would load but videos would. Restarted my PC a number of times. Rebooted the router and then reset it to factory settings. Still nothing. Restarted my PC again and now no sites are loading. I'm connected to the network, but not the internet. Throughout all of this, my laptop has had no problems at all, and every other PC/device on our network has been fine. Scanned with MSE and Malwarebytes and nothing came up. So I've got no idea what to try now...

I would try a DNS flush, check your network connection to make sure you dont have a static IP address which doesn't map correctly to your network and turn off any virtual or secondary network connections. Also, is the problem only with wifi, or with a patch cable as well?

#COBOKBYE

Neo Member
Help needed, please.

Anybody got an idea?

If you can, download super anti spyware, malware bytes(rename setup file to mbsomething to prevent virus from blocking it), Rogue killer and combofix(be careful with this and read the instructions properly because it can kill your machine if you don't run it right).

Do a Google search for windows 7 cleaning procedures and a geeky site will come up for all but combo fix.

Okay so last year my uncle got me a refurbished laptop as a going of to school present. It's a Gateway NV55C, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

It's always had a problem with Windows Update though. In the year that I've had it it's never updated. This has manifested itself as a problem with many Steam games as well as some videos or lives streams. I've tried to update but every time it starts up the program just freezes and closes.

Is there a way to fix this or should I just give up?

I would try a DNS flush, check your network connection to make sure you dont have a static IP address which doesn't map correctly to your network and turn off any virtual or secondary network connections. Also, is the problem only with wifi, or with a patch cable as well?

I uninstalled some stuff and restarted my PC and I can access some sites like GAF now (like before) but still youtube videos don't load and I can't access certain sites like adobe.com or facebook...? I'm using one of those powerline adapters, but I turn the wireless of on my laptop and tried it with that so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

edit: ok a plugged a usb wireless adaptor in and youtube is working now... this is really weird

Yep, to clarify certain sites and youtube videos won't load when I'm using the powerline adapter. However, the powerline adapter doesn't produce this problem on my laptop or on other PCs, only on my PC. And this problem doesn't happen when I use a wireless USB adapter on my PC. The only thing I can think of is that the network adapter on my PC is fucked and somehow doesn't let me watch youtube videos or access certain sites.

#COBOKBYE

Neo Member
I uninstalled some stuff and restarted my PC and I can access some sites like GAF now (like before) but still youtube videos don't load and I can't access certain sites like adobe.com or facebook...? I'm using one of those powerline adaptors, but I turn the wireless of on my laptop and tried it with that so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

edit: ok a plugged a usb wireless adaptor in and youtube is working now... this is really weird

Is this with all browsers as well or are you using a certain one?

i-Lo

This post is regarding the PS3 media server that has stopped functioning properly.

Around 3 months ago, one fine day, after something had happened (I'm sure) the PS3 media server (you know, the free one which is also the best one) stopped detecting my PS3 (hardwired through router) showing a huge "X" sign. Not only did it do that but gobbling up memory as if it was trying to complete some process getting stuck around at 796MB (consumption). I had to forcefully shut it down. It also refuses to actively update "Navigation" option when I add to remove drive paths and requires a full restart to do so. With regards to restart, the only way the program now works as intended is to actually go through the installation process every single time I want to use it.

Welp?

blixa

Banned
question:

if i have an external harddrive that doesn't boot up on the computer, but does receive power, is it a lost cause or can i get to work, or more importantly get ahold of the data?

i'm a tech guy, but oddly i never looked into this.
of course i could find out, but there are probably some talents here that can shed better light on this quicker.

mike23

question:

if i have an external harddrive that doesn't boot up on the computer, but does receive power, is it a lost cause or can i get to work, or more importantly get ahold of the data?

i'm a tech guy, but oddly i never looked into this.
of course i could find out, but there are probably some talents here that can shed better light on this quicker.

Worst case scenario, you can just crack it open and put the hd inside your computer. I've never heard of an external hd that didn't have a standard drive inside.

MjFrancis

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40070481&postcount=3441

The problem persists.

I've doublechecked all the RAM and my power hook ups and it powered up just fine. The computer was even operational for three days.

Now, it doesn't power up at all. It's stuck in an infinite boot up loop that only lasts a second or so, and the motherboard screen never rears it's smug face. The last thing the computer showed before this started was a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen and then a black screen that said "something something CHECKSUM something you're fucked." That's why I don't have a desktop computer and consequently post on GAF much less.

So, I'm looking over motherboard FAQ and fixes in the meantime. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'm gonna preface this one with "that doesn't sound good".

Anyway.

Make sure all cables are tight in their sockets. Same for the components.

Plug the beep cable in for your motherboard if you have one. Check the beep code on bootup, it should be in the manual.

Other than that, it's probably time to replace faulty hardware. Since it seems like you have no idea what's broken, you will have to replace the hardware bit by bit until the thing works again, then buy replacement hardware. Try to locate a computer nerd with a stack of old motherboards and PSUs lying around (they're everywhere) if you haven't got a stack yourself.

Edit: My hunch is it's either the motherboard or the GPU, but guessing doesn't help with these matters, so..

MjFrancis

No overclocked components, despite everything being advertised as easy-to-overclock components when I bought them.

I'll keep at it with the suggestions that don't involve crapping out more money, while also keeping in mind I can use this as an opportunity to upgrade. But upgrading WHAT? At least I have the PSU in place. I'll check if I have a beep code mobo, I'm relatively sure I do. It's just a matter of getting off my ass and educating myself.

If I replace the motherboard I'm also inclined to replace the CPU. Maybe not, though, since I have a triple core Phenom @ 2.7 apiece. Works fine for what I do, but if I replace one going with the other just seems like the thing to do. Problem is it won't be too cheap. Replacing the GPU will likely be tried after that. Maybe the second step (before buying anything) will be researching the best mobo/CPU combo for my price range (maybe $200-$300?).

Thanks for the advice. Off to consult my motherboard manual.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Well, before buying new parts, consider resetting the CMOS, just to see if that makes it work again. This usually involves taking the CMOS battery out for 10 seconds or so. Your motherboard manual should have a section about that.

The CMOS stores overclocking values and the like. You will have to configure your motherboard anew after resetting it.

But the best indicator for the root cause will be beep codes.

Edit: Before taking the CMOS battery out, make sure there is no residual electricity in the board (power cord out, hold power button).

I just got my new Graphics card and tried to install it, everything was going smoothly till I tried to turn on my PC and got no signal what so ever. I tried taking it off and seeing if everything was plugged in right and put it back in again, making sure it was secure, and still got nothing. I even disconnected the new card and just see if the would display the old way, with no luck as well? Anyone mind telling me how to fix this

Edit: I should also add that I didn't delete the old Display driver that my Desktop had, but not totally sure if that would cause a problem as well.
Edit2: It turns out that when I put in the GPU, it loosened one of the RAM

Banned
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/287830-32-chkdsk-500gb-external-taking-forever#t1943147

chkdsk.png

Any help would be appreciated!

Long story short I bought an SSD and am using it as my primary OS drive now and I want to use my HDD as my data drive.

I wanted to make a backup image of my SSD to save time so I won't have to reinstall all my drivers and applications next time I add on SSD. I decided to run image backup on my external hdd but it was not NTFS format, and when i tried to convert it using the command line, it said I had "dirty volumes".

So I ran chkdsk e:/r (e: being my drive letter for the external HDD) on my external and it's been running since 2pm EST and it's only at 27%. It is moving at about 1% on hour basically. I got home an hour and half ago and it was at 27% and it still is. However, the LED light on the External HDD is still blinking, so there is activity.

Should I let this thing run for days or just stop it now and delete the files it's trying to replace? (It seems to have a problem with a previous backup I made of my HDD, as all the files it has fixed so far has been from there.

I put my cpu and ram back to stock speeds to not cause any errors so I am running at 2.7Ghz Quad Core Intel i7-920, with 6GB of RAM and Windows 7 Ultimate.

The external is using a USB port, so I can imagine how slow the I/O is right now, but I want to know if it's safe to pull out and try just deleting the HDD backup it has a problem with so I can just convert this thing to NTFS and do a new backup?

Top Bottom