• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

ACE 1991

Removing an external drive without ejecting it has never caused me any problems, but a friend of mine had his external HDD crash on him when he removed it without ejecting it. Can't you just reboot your PC and remove your external HDD before Windows boots up again?

Never considered that, lol. Thanks!

RangersFan

I had a lot of old pc parts sitting in a box (most notable a Lian Li PC7b plus II modded case) in my basement I decided to do build using as many parts I could and spending as little money as possible for a semi decent rig that can do light gaming. I spent about $260 on newegg buying an AMD A8 3850 FM1 and Asus mico atx board and a copy of windows 7 OEM (which accounted for $100 of the $260). PC is running great, but I decided not to activate Windows 7 until I had every up and running perfect the way I wanted. I decided to spend another $50 on a new hard drive and ordered it a few days ago, it just arrived today and I plan on re-installing windows 7 on the new hdd and using the old one as a secondary storage, HOWEVER I just checked and the windows 7 oem copy activated itself either today or yesterday, I think it was a 3 day activation window as opposed to the 30 day.

My question is will I be able to install on the new HDD without any activation issues? I've done many builds before, but never had to activate an oem copy twice in a short period of time. Also can I do a system recovery install on the new HDD using an image I just backed up from the old hdd the other day or should I just do a fresh one with the new hdd?

Coins

Banned
Im in desperate need of help. I have googled this problem many times, and it eludes me on how to fix this.

I have a PC running Windows 7. When Diablo 3 came out, I updated drivers for my AMD card and started having BSOD issues. I found a similar problem on the WoW forums and was able to eventually fix it, that was months ago obviously. I bought Civ recently and Steam updated my drivers again. The same issue started happening again, except now I cant find the post from the person who was able to fix their PC after updating drivers.

This is what I get from the minidump when I look at it with BlueScreenView.

ntoskrnl.exe
ntoskrnl.exe+10a9b
fffff800`0321f000
fffff800`03807000
0x005e8000
0x4fa390f3
5/4/2012 3:18:59 AM Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
NT Kernel & System
6.1.7601.17835 (win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030) Microsoft Corporation
C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please! Someone help me! I have uninstalled and reinstalled the video card repeatedly. I use driver sweepers to completely get rid of the old drivers and I cannot solve the problem.

I do not Blue Screen after I uninstall my card.

Derrick01

Banned
I have a quick question. I see people a lot on here say something about chrome brings up malware warnings on various threads, usually older ones that are linked. Does that work alongside antivirus' like Norton? I mean I could test it by clicking the link but if Norton overrides Chrome and doesn't pick up on it like Chrome does then I'm potentially screwing myself.

So I'm having a bit of a problem with my CPU temperature.

After downloading and starting to play Darksiders 2 last night, my CPU temp sky rocketed to 90 degrees. Ever since then it sits at an idle temp of 60 degrees. I thought it might need cleaning so I blew some compressed air through it, now my idle temp is 70 degrees.

My CPU is an i3 2120. It's only 3 months old.

What could the problem be, and how do I fix it?

RangersFan

So I'm having a bit of a problem with my CPU temperature.

After downloading and starting to play Darksiders 2 last night, my CPU temp sky rocketed to 90 degrees. Ever since then it sits at an idle temp of 60 degrees. I thought it might need cleaning so I blew some compressed air through it, now my idle temp is 70 degrees.

My CPU is an i3 2120. It's only 3 months old.

What could the problem be, and how do I fix it?
assuming you are on stock cooling that sound normal. I would definitely invest in an aftermarket cooler.

Gah trying to connect my PC to my Samsung LCD TV and I cannot get the sound to work.

For video I have used a hdmi cable with a DVI adapter (my pc doesn't have a hdmi socket, only DVI) and it works perfectly.

But using the audio cable I bought, mini-jack to phono-jack, nothing happens.

The back of my TV looks like this. I have tried all the audio sockets, but I assume I am to use the DVI IN Audio (otherwise I would get video and sound in different 'channels' on my TV, right)

bild

What am I doing wrong? Is it the combo of Hdmi with DVI adapter that messes with the sound somehow, or am I just a complete retard and overlooking something crucial?

Thanks for the help

krzy123

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Make sure you're using the right audio out (usually the green port on your soundcard). Make sure the output is not set to digital. Make sure it has level. Confirm that the cable is working properly. Confirm that the audio port of the TV is working properly (plug a different audio source in, iPod or w/e). Check the audio settings of your TV, there might be an audio source setting for the HDMI channel.
Why even route audio thru the TV? I'd recommend going through your Hifi Line In, for obvious reasons.

nan0

Gah trying to connect my PC to my Samsung LCD TV and I cannot get the sound to work.

For video I have used a hdmi cable with a DVI adapter (my pc doesn't have a hdmi socket, only DVI) and it works perfectly.

But using the audio cable I bought, mini-jack to phono-jack, nothing happens.

The back of my TV looks like this. I have tried all the audio sockets, but I assume I am to use the DVI IN Audio (otherwise I would get video and sound in different 'channels' on my TV, right)

What am I doing wrong? Is it the combo of Hdmi with DVI adapter that messes with the sound somehow, or am I just a complete retard and overlooking something crucial?

Thanks for the help

So you want to send the audio output of your PC via HDMI to your LCD so it uses the LCD's speaker, yes?
I did the exact same thing yesterday (HDMI cable via DVI adapter to LCD), and I only had to activate the HDMI output in Windows' Audio settings:

hdmivfshk.jpg

(It is disabled for me, since my LCD currently isn't turned on)

If you set is as default device, all sound is routed to the LCD. No need for additional cables.

accx

So is it unsafe to remove an external hard drive without ejecting it through windows? For some reason my western digital isn't allowing me to eject it, even when all files are folders stored on it are closed.

It's (usually) safe. Ejecting is needed when connecting the drive to an apple computer for example (or was it the other way around?)

Disconnecting the drive when rebooting would be unwise since there would be a power surge when the computer starts. Likely nothing will happen but it's better to reboot into the OS, remove either through ejecting or just unplugging it.
I actually lost a Camera that was plugged in my computer when i rebooted. Luckily i still had warranty but after that i try to keep most of my peripherals disconnected when starting and rebooting.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
It's safe to yank it out when the drive does not do any write operations.
It's very likely to break shit if you yank it out while write operations are ongoing.

If you eject a drive with the operating system thing, then cached write operations are guaranteed to complete under normal circumstances, which means that it's always safe to yank it out when ejection is complete. That's why you do it.

More generally speaking, external HDDs cannot guarantee atomicity from ACID in every scenario.

The operating system is completely irrelevant to this. Well, on Linux, all transactions can be cached if you look at the external drive as an FDD, but that's not how it's done anymore, really. So the operating system is not a variable.

Note that an OS shutdown means all transactions are guaranteed to complete. Same SHOULD be the case for sleep mode, but I can't really guarantee it myself right now. It HAS to be the case for hibernate (aka suspend to disk).

accx

It's safe to yank it out when the drive does not do any write operations.
It's very likely to break shit if you yank it out while write operations are ongoing.

If you eject a drive with the operating system thing, then cached write operations are guaranteed to complete under normal circumstances, which means that it's always safe to yank it out when ejection is complete. That's why you do it.

More generally speaking, external HDDs cannot guarantee atomicity from ACID in every scenario.

The operating system is completely irrelevant to this. Well, on Linux, all transactions can be cached if you look at the external drive as an FDD, but that's not how it's done anymore, really. So the operating system is not a variable.

Note that an OS shutdown means all transactions are guaranteed to complete. Same SHOULD be the case for sleep mode, but I can't really guarantee it myself right now. It HAS to be the case for hibernate (aka suspend to disk).

Hibernate would be fine. But like you said, sleep mode should also be safe (if you have suspend disk on in advanced power options).
However, i recall reading an article (or on forums) that it's best to leave disk suspension off, even if it means stuff such as battery drainage for laptops. This is because spinning the drive up and down all the time shorten its lifespan.

I'm trying to delete a font, and it keeps saying it's in use and cannot be deleted.

It's one I installed myself, so I know it's not something important. I have Windows Vista.

Please help. :(

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'm trying to delete a font, and it keeps saying it's in use and cannot be deleted.

It's one I installed myself, so I know it's not something important. I have Windows Vista.

Please help. :(
Sometimes, it suffices to restart the system. Sometimes, it's even enough to logout and login.

You could also get Process Explorer (link) and check whichever process uses that font, and shoot it in the head to then delete the font.

Or you could restart the system in Safe Mode and then delete the font (no guarantee on that one).

Or you could force-delete from cmd.exe (no guarantee on that one either).
Here's some docs on that:
http://ss64.com/nt/del.html
Most notably:
Delete Locked files (Typically IE temp files or the Offline cache)

Close all applications
Open a command prompt
Click Start, and then Shut Down
Simultaneously press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT.
While you keep these keys pressed, click Cancel in the Shut Down Windows dialog box.
In the command prompt window, navigate to the cache location, and delete all files from the folder (DEL /s)
At the command prompt, type explorer, and then press ENTER.

Ashhong

My computer is being really weird. At night I usually leave it on and go to sleep. Lately I have been noticing that it's restarting by itself or something. Actually I'm not even sure that's what's going on. Last night I signed off AIM, and minimized Chrome.

I wake up this morning and my AIM is signed in, and my Chrome is on top. What the fuck? If it was restarting, the Chrome shouldn't be opening.

Also, one time I was using the computer and suddenly my monitor went into power save mode, the mode it goes on when I shut down my comp and there's no signal. The comp was still on, but I have no idea if it was actually responding.

Any ideas?

nan0

Check your eventlog (eventvwr.exe), maybe some task is restarting your computer. There also should be an entry for the time and reason it restarts. Also try to disable Wake-on-LAN in the BIOS if you don't need it.

Ashhong

So I can barely understand these logs, but I think I may have a problem with my Windows Update. Every night at around 3am there are Windows Update installation errors. I just tried to manually update it now and it downloads, restarts the computer, but then on the Configuring Update screen it fails and reverts the changes. Any ideas?

nan0

Yeah, don't worry about the error codes and stuff, you usually can get an idea of the problem by the event message. An immediate solution would be to disable the fully automatic installation of Updates (which would prevent the automatic reboots). But it would be better to indentify the faulty update (should be also in the eventlog, the ID of the update should look like KB[somenumbers]). Then try installing every other update besides that one, and try again. Maybe that already solves it. Or installing only a few updates at a time, check if it works and then trying the next.

Shadybiz

Help Gaf!

I woke up this morning and turned on my pc. I had no internet access at all. It had been running just fine the other day.

Okay, long story short:
1. No internet on the pc, but the wireless network still worked.
2. Tried resetting modem, router, etc, none of that worked.
3. Comcast rep sent the signal to the modem, that didn't work.
4. I finally did a System Restore, and then it started working again.

Here is where I think I pinpointed the problem:
5. Downloaded an Adobe update right after the restore, one that does not take effect until you Restart.
6. Later on, I restarted the computer, and the Internet access was gone again. Just did another Restore, and it's back up.

So basically, I am fairly certain that the Adobe update is what screwed me up the first time. It's very strange.

What can be done to eliminate this problem, aside from never updating Adobe again? It's very strange, and I've never had this issue before.

Krakatoa

Help Gaf!

I woke up this morning and turned on my pc. I had no internet access at all. It had been running just fine the other day.

Okay, long story short:

5. Downloaded an Adobe update right after the restore, one that does not take effect until you Restart.
6. Later on, I restarted the computer, and the Internet access was gone again. Just did another Restore, and it's back up.

So basically, I am fairly certain that the Adobe update is what screwed me up the first time. It's very strange.

What can be done to eliminate this problem, aside from never updating Adobe again? It's very strange, and I've never had this issue before.

It seems odd that an Adobe update would screw with your internet. Do you have your PC set to receive automatic updates from MS? If so I would check it's not downloading a nic update automatically and installing it. And that update is only taking effect after a reboot.

Shadybiz

It seems odd that an Adobe update would screw with your internet. Do you have your PC set to receive automatic updates from MS? If so I would check it's not downloading a nic update automatically and installing it. And that update is only taking effect after a reboot.

You're right, that does make more sense. I do have it set to update automatically... I can turn that off, and select updates individually I guess. Still really strange, though.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Mush

Over the weekend I suffered the unfortunate mishap of dropping my laptop with my headphones still plugged in, which broke the tip of the audio jack off inside the port. I fiddled around with it before deciding to open up the casing (it was well out of warranty so I had nothing to lose) and push it out through the front.

However, during this endeavor I managed to bend the pins that do sound stuff so my port only produces sound for the right headphone/speaker. Since the whole audio gizmo thing is attached to the motherboard, am I fucked?

marrec

Banned
Hey Tech Support GAF,

Bit of a problem with my Rampage II Gene MB. The Heatsink on the NB Chip popped loose sometime yesterday and straight up fell off. When investigating the cause of the problem I saw that the little black plastic... thing with a spring that retained the heatsink had dislodged and allowed it to remove itself.

So my question to you is, what the hell is that black plastic thing, and can I re attach it with the same plastic thing or do I just need to get a new heatsink? (Will be reapplying thermal paste regardless)

Secondary Question: Is my NB Chip fucked now that it's overheated due to heatsink suicide?

I've never seen this type of retainer clip before or had an NB Chip overheat, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Shadybiz

Did some more looking into this on the Windows forums. This problem is not unheard of, and from what I can tell, can be caused by malicious software updates conflicting with third-party firewalls. I remembered that I am letting McAfee use their firewall. I think I might uninstall McAfee, and download MSE. Hoping that will fix the issue. If that is the case, though, I find it strange that more people who use McAfee aren't having this problem (I am seeing cases from 2 years ago, but nothing very recent).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Im looking to upgrade my video card. I have a few in mind, but im leaning towards

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SMUT70/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Do you guys know if this would support 3 monitors? Sadly, ive been out of the hardware side of PCs for quite a few years so im not really sure.

Any help is appreciated

Well, the description certainly says it does.
"[...] and combine up to three displays for the ultimate in 3D entertainment." (Obviously, you can just use the 3 monitors like a normal person)
"Connections are 1 Mini-HDMI 1.4a connector and 2 Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP Capable connectors."
So you need the cables, but you should be able to drive 3 monitors.

Edit: HANG ON. http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/grafikkarten/nvidia_geforce_gtx_570/s05.php
Während eine aktuelle AMD Grafikkarte der HD 5000 oder HD 6000 Serie von 1 bis 3 oder sogar über Displayport bis zu 6 Monitore ansteuern kann, kann eine NVIDIA Grafikkarte der GTX 400 Serie nur jeweils zwei Monitore gleichzeitig mit einem Bild versorgen. Auch bei der GeForce GTX 570/580 ist dies weiterhin der Fall.
Translation: "While a current AMD video card of the HD 5000 or HD 6000 series supports using 1 to 3 screens, or even 6 via display port, an NVIDIA card of the GTX 400 series supports only up to 2. This is no different with the GTX 570/580."
2 monitors. Need SLI for 3. So you might want to look for an AMD card, I reckon.

Friggz

Well, the description certainly says it does.
"[...] and combine up to three displays for the ultimate in 3D entertainment." (Obviously, you can just use the 3 monitors like a normal person)
"Connections are 1 Mini-HDMI 1.4a connector and 2 Dual-Link DVI-I HDCP Capable connectors."
So you need the cables, but you should be able to drive 3 monitors.

Edit: HANG ON. http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/grafikkarten/nvidia_geforce_gtx_570/s05.php

Translation: "While a current AMD video card of the HD 5000 or HD 6000 series supports using 1 to 3 screens, or even 6 via display port, an NVIDIA card of the GTX 400 series supports only up to 2. This is no different with the GTX 570/580."
2 monitors. Need SLI for 3. So you might want to look for an AMD card, I reckon.

Yeah, i saw the writeup but i did some research and saw that people couldnt run 3 monitors. So i wasnt entirely sure which one to believe. It does have a display port as well as two DVI so why wouldnt it be able to run 3 monitors with an adapter?

Edit: thanks for your response btw

Foov

Is anyone having an issue with gmail displaying an incorrect number of unread messages? Just started yesterday, gmail is showing 370 unread messages for me when looked at through a web browser, on my ipad, or through mail on mountain lion (most annoying here - I'm constantly getting new notifications for emails that I received two years ago - had to turn it off). The only place it's not happening is on my iphone but I think that's because I have it set up as an exchange account to receive push notifications. I don't have any actual unread messages so I'm not sure what's going on, or how to fix it.

dpatel304

Not a PC issue, but wasn't sure where else to post this:

Since Sunday, my phone has been on the fritz. Basically I switch it on, and it has signal for a certain amount of time (usually around 15-20mins) and then the signal just goes away, meaning no incoming/outgoing calls/texts. I restart it, and it fixes it temporarily. I've tried it in 3 separate phones all with the same result. I told AT&T this, and they gave me a new SIM card, which worked for about half a day, and now I'm back to the same thing happening. I've called AT&T again and they are going to have a technician call me tomorrow, but, if anyone else has experienced something similar, I'd love some guidance on this. Maybe I could lead the technician in the right direction, because, so far, they haven't been too much help.

I need you help, GAF. My parents' laptop has developed a fault where a line of keys will not work e.g. 3, E, D, C. We replaced the keyboard but it didn't fix the problem. I know my Brother was fucking around with it and took it apart, so do you think he has broken one of the tracers on the mobo?

Jzero

I need you help, GAF. My parents' laptop has developed a fault where a line of keys will not work e.g. 3, E, D, C. We replaced the keyboard but it didn't fix the problem. I know my Brother was fucking around with it and took it apart, so do you think he has broken one of the tracers on the mobo?
I fixed a mac that had that problem before but it got fixed when i replaced the keyboard.

Did you try spraying compressed air near the ribbon to make sure there's no dust or whatever?

aristotle

I'm currently having a problem with a co-worker's mac. She's not savy in the least so I have no idea what she did. Her Safari doesn't work at all anymore. Google hasn't helped one bit so I come here to GAF :).

Her OS is 10.4.11 (yes it's old)

I've gone in and deleted prefs, the .plist, the folders, everything and then reinstalled. Still didn't work. The icon jumps like it's loading and then nothing. No windows open nor do the regular menus appear at the top bar. I've even reinstalled from scratch and logged onto a guest account I created and the same thing happened. She completely hosed it somehow.

Any advice/help from GAF Tech?

Shadybiz

Help Gaf!

Okay, long story short:

Just wanted to pop in and note that this issue was resolved (for anyone that might have the same problem later).

It turns out that it was McAfee that was causing the non-connection issue. Something about the third-party firewall conflicting with one of the windows updates. I uninstalled McAfee, and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. Installed the windows updates, restarted the pc, and I still had Internet access. I am sure this problem could be caused by other things for different people; this is just what happened to work for me.

hi gaf. so i need some help. i just got a batarang wired xbox controller for my mac so i can use it for steam games. i downloaded the xbox controller mac driver but my computer isnt recognizing it. Ive read in reviews this controller works on mac. When i go to system preferences and xbox controller it says no devices found. I plugged the controller into my 360 and it works. can someone please help me get this working. mac is running 10.8 (mountain lion) could that be the problem?

Ok here goes nothing.

Restored a copmputer (desktop,XP pro, intel Pentium D) , installed the drivers but still wont get online. The latest network driver is installed, no drivers are missing or have that yellow triangle next to it. it gets an IP address. but still wont get online. Ive run ipconfig /release and /renew. Still nothing. Any ideas GAF?

Mr. F

Banned
Trying out the Windows 8 preview and realized my 'Microsoft Account' is no more than an old hotmail email address I don't use anymore. When I tried to update my email address to my current gmail one, it said that the service was unavailable and to try again later.

Kind of suspicious that it just won't work because I'm trying to use a non-Microsoft email, which I wouldn't be surprised at because I recall them being picky about that in the past.

Basically just wondering if anyone has had success making their gmail the primary address tied to their Microsoft account.

Jzero

Trying out the Windows 8 preview and realized my 'Microsoft Account' is no more than an old hotmail email address I don't use anymore. When I tried to update my email address to my current gmail one, it said that the service was unavailable and to try again later.

Kind of suspicious that it just won't work because I'm trying to use a non-Microsoft email, which I wouldn't be surprised at because I recall them being picky about that in the past.

Basically just wondering if anyone has had success making their gmail the primary address tied to their Microsoft account.
I'm pretty sure you have to use a Microsoft account. You can't sync your Google bookmarks while using a hotmail account ;)

Every year or so I like to do a full wipe of my system so I can start from scratch. I just did this today and I have never had problems before but this time I am stuck.

Did a full win 7 reinstall but now I cannot connect to the internet. I use one of those USB network adapters but now its dark and the pc is not recognizing it at all. Anyone know how to fix this?

Alternatively I am supposed to be able to just plug my pc into the Ethernet jack in my dorm room but I never bothered before now and I have no clue how I would go about setting that up.

(Posting from my phone. Will not have access to another pc till Monday)

I bought a copy of Windows 7 about 2 months ago. I want to format and start with a fresh install, can I just use the same key and disk again?

@Wafflecakes - Most USB network adapters need the right drivers to be installed, tried that? Also, if you have an iPhone or similar smart-phone using 3G, you can plug it in by USB and tether it so you can internet on the PC. It's simple with an iPhone.

MrBig

Ehernet is just pnp unless you have a propriety nic

If you have any problems with activation of windows just call ms and they will activate sincet is the same system. There shouldnt be a problem though.

Jzero

I bought a copy of Windows 7 about 2 months ago. I want to format and start with a fresh install, can I just use the same key and disk again?

@Wafflecakes - Most USB network adapters need the right drivers to be installed, tried that? Also, if you have an iPhone or similar smart-phone using 3G, you can plug it in by USB and tether it so you can internet on the PC. It's simple with an iPhone.
Yes sir.

Hrm will.attempt the install the stuff on some of the discs that came with my pc. Maybe one of them contains network drivers. We will see.

Shouldn't it be able to connect to the internet via Ethernet either way?

Ok got my tetherine up and running. My phone is essentially just acting as a usb network adapter (I don't have a data plan...too poor). Going to download updates and hope everything gets fixed.

Also ordered a new network adapter because the one I had wasn't cutting it before now anyways.

Will using my router's QoS feature improve the performance of video-on-demand services like Netflix? I want to know if it's worth looking into. For reference, there are three computers on my network and I mainly use my PS3 for Netflix.

Thanks for the tethering tip. Everything rolling now.

One last thing. I need to re install Adobe design premium 5.5. I have my product serial number to register it but all the links on the Adobe website to download it are either dead or direct you to 6.0. I am not 100% sure where my installation disc is. Anyone know somewhere were I can download it?

Top Bottom