• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Just as a protip, if you're ever encountering the Windows 7 black screen of death, check to make sure all of your old drivers are removed through a separate program. I had a computer life-long issue with the black screen of death and full screen videos. Even though I had uninstalled the drivers from the old video card (several times over) they actually weren't removed. One sweep with one of the many driver sweeper programs and the problem is completely gone.

Ashhong

Does anybody happen to know where I can download a burnable image of the Windows 7 System Repair disk? My goal is to take the image and apply it to a USB thumb stick so I can boot from it on my Mac and fix Boot Camp. I've already gone through tutorials to make a bootable USB but it doesn't seem to work.

If anybody would be so kind...can you 1: create a system repair disk
2. create an img/iso/dmg file based off of this newly made disk
3. upload said image file ?

Probably asking for too much, just thought I'd throw that out there. I have no cd drive in my mac so I can't do it myself :(

Alright I'm hoping GAF can help me here. I just built a new PC a few days ago and everything has been great until today when I tried installing a Bittorrent client. uTorrent seemed to be causing random freezing so I uninstalled it and tried qBittorrent and ran into the same problem. Had another freeze right after I uninstalled that.

Before that last freeze everything seemed fine as long as I didn't have a bittorrent client open. Now I'm worried, what did I screw up here?

suaveric

I've come across a problem and I need some help GAF. I just got a new monitor and it's a higher resolution than my old one. I'm now at 1920x1080 and the old one was 1680x1050. So here's the problem, for some reason Windows 7 is windowboxing my image. It recognized my new monitor, but when it runs in the new (recommended) resolution it puts a huge black border around the entire image. The only thing that seems to get rid of this is setting the display resolution back to 1600x900, which fills my entire screen with an image. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks

Edit: Figured it out. For some reason the scaling was messed up. I went under the scaling options in the catalyst control center and changed it to 0% and that fixed it.

Kerub

Banned
My 360 suddenly stopped working today. It turns on fine but I get no signal whatsoever when I switch the channel to HDMI. I've had no problems at all before and when I played yesterday it worked, so I'm pretty puzzled about this.

I've tried switching everything off and switching to another HDMI cable but still the same problem.

Advice, please!

Futureman

When I plug directly into the router, I get my paid for speeds.... around 15Mbps.

Wifi only gets around 0.8Mbps.

All my settings are pretty much default. Dual-Stack IP, B/G/N-Mixed, WPA-Personal.

Any idea what would cause this? Linksys router. Slow speeds on a wide range of devices (iPhones, Dell laptops, iMac).

Not a signal issue.

grate

When I plug directly into the router, I get my paid for speeds.... around 15Mbps.

Wifi only gets around 0.8Mbps.

All my settings are pretty much default. Dual-Stack IP, B/G/N-Mixed, WPA-Personal.

Any idea what would cause this? Linksys router. Slow speeds on a wide range of devices (iPhones, Dell laptops, iMac).

Not a signal issue.

Are there a lot of other people living around you with wifi routers? If so, try changing to a separate channel from the default (usually 6) try dropping down to 5 or up to 7 to see if that helps.

Futureman

Thanks. Went through most of them and I'm getting ~13mbps now on channel 11. Fastest I saw when wired was ~18mbps. So not quite as fast but much better.

edit: bummer. My iMac is still going very slow. Guess I'll try to go through a few channels on here and see if it improves.

editx2: channel 4 hurray!

Heysoos

So, my Desktop somehow got a trojan/virus/whatever the fuck these shits are. Anyways, MBA removed it, but MSE still refused to work correctly, so I figured I'd suck it up and do a clean install. Anyways, is it as simple as just downloading the correct ISO and putting in my product key?

MrBig

So, my Desktop somehow got a trojan/virus/whatever the fuck these shits are. Anyways, MBA removed it, but MSE still refused to work correctly, so I figured I'd suck it up and do a clean install. Anyways, is it as simple as just downloading the correct ISO and putting in my product key?

Yes. Back up data you need, get your ISO from here, make a bootable usb stick or dvd, do a custom install, and format the old windows partition, then continue as normal.

Heysoos

Yes. Back up data you need, get your ISO from here, make a bootable usb stick or dvd, do a custom install, and format the old windows partition, then continue as normal.

Gotcha, thanks! I just wasn't sure if I was going to run into any problems by using my product key twice. Anyways, have some extended 2 year access thing on the website I originally got it, so I'll just re-download the ISO from there.

MrBig

Gotcha, thanks! I just wasn't sure if I was going to run into any problems by using my product key twice. Anyways, have some extended 2 year access thing on the website I originally got it, so I'll just re-download the ISO from there.

If it gives you any trouble call MS and tell them what happened. These ISOs are completely clean ISOs from MS, so if the site you got it from shoved any bloat into it get it from there.

Heysoos

If it gives you any trouble call MS and tell them what happened. These ISOs are completely clean ISOs from MS, so if the site you got it from shoved any bloat into it get it from there.

Awesome, thanks! And yeah, I've heard about the website you linked me to, but mine was from Dreamspark premium through my University, so it should be the same ISO. Plus this one downloads faster from my experience.

Kerub

Banned
My 360 suddenly stopped working today. It turns on fine but I get no signal whatsoever when I switch the channel to HDMI. I've had no problems at all before and when I played yesterday it worked, so I'm pretty puzzled about this.

I've tried switching everything off and switching to another HDMI cable but still the same problem.

Advice, please!

Update - I'm still having the same problem. I brought it over to a friends house yesterday and tried it on his TV, worked perfectly fine. I've also tried to connect my computer to the same hdmi jack, and that worked.

So I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with my xbox, tv or the hdmi cables. Yet I get no signal. Haha, my house must be cursed.

ReaperXL7

I don't know if there is such a thing, but I was wondering if anyone here might know of a program that would allow me to clean out my hardrive. I want to clean it up, and get rid of anything that I do not actually need, but I'm afraid I might delete something thats important in running my system.

Anyone recommendations/ suggestions for this would be much appreciated.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I don't know if there is such a thing, but I was wondering if anyone here might know of a program that would allow me to clean out my hardrive. I want to clean it up, and get rid of anything that I do not actually need, but I'm afraid I might delete something thats important in running my system.

CCleaner, I guess

Jzero

I haven't personally used it but maybe you would want to try pcdecrapifier if you have a lot of bloatware.

and then run Ccleaner.

I've noticed a lot of slow down on my current rig. So I want to speed it up a bit and with SSD prices falling like crazy I went ahead and got one. Now I'm unsure as to how I should go about the process of making it my new main drive. Whilst making my current main drive a secondary drive. I'm unfamiliar with how to uninstall window's from this drive without messing up all of my pc/steam game files and then there's that whole issue of how to not use up all of my license's that I currently have on the pc.

The drive I got is 240gb Sandisk Extreme and the drive it's replacing is a Western Digital Caviar Black 750gb (currently 300gb's free, lots of games!) I know there's Steam mover but I don't know if that will work for my situation. I've got lots of free time between now and friday so I'd like to get this done while I have the time to do it.

I was thinking of going with window's 8 as I have a free upgrade coming down the pipe in october and it would be a nice fresh install.

Zutroy

Is it possible in Excel to cut data from a cell, paste it somewhere else and the original cell to keep its formatting? Or does that go against the definition of cut?

FairyD

So I have a tab delimited file as a .txt file.

I'm trying to convert it to .csv, but I'll need to add quotes around each field in the tab file first.

Does anyone know a way of adding quotes around data fields in a tab delimited file via batch?

I could easily open it with excel and save as .csv, but the file will be coming in daily and I'll need a way of converting it via batch or through some script.

I bought this laptop.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03091347

About 7 months ago. I like it alright, can't play some games at the level I'd like it to but I don't expect much. I know it's limitations as a laptop. It's way too big and heavy at 17" though so I'm thinking of selling it and buying this instead.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03364908

15" DV6 with an AMD A10 instead. How does the A10-4600 and it's integrated AMD 7660G GPU compare to the Intel i7-2630QM with it's discrete Radeon™ HD 6490M gpu?

Pandemic

G'day, anyone know why my PC monitor doesn't turn on when I turn the PC itself on? It just sits there with an orange light, rather than blue meaning it's on. When I try hit the orange button, it says no signal received. This happened once or twice in the past year or so, but instead it happened whenever I put the PC on sleep mode. It would eventually start working after leaving the PC off for a few hours, but it's now been a few days and it's still not working..

Any help would be appreciated.

Banned
G'day, anyone know why my PC monitor doesn't turn on when I turn the PC itself on? It just sits there with an orange light, rather than blue meaning it's on. When I try hit the orange button, it says no signal received. This happened once or twice in the past year or so, but instead it happened whenever I put the PC on sleep mode. It would eventually start working after leaving the PC off for a few hours, but it's now been a few days and it's still not working..

Any help would be appreciated.
Mine did his too and I found out I had a loose power supply cable on my GPU. Check to see if your GPU has a red light (or whatever it does to show an error, check your manual). Sometimes it can be the hdmi cable being faulty but that's rare. Usually it's a GPU problem.

Banned
I bought this laptop.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03091347

About 7 months ago. I like it alright, can't play some games at the level I'd like it to but I don't expect much. I know it's limitations as a laptop. It's way too big and heavy at 17" though so I'm thinking of selling it and buying this instead.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03364908

15" DV6 with an AMD A10 instead. How does the A10-4600 and it's integrated AMD 7660G GPU compare to the Intel i7-2630QM with it's discrete Radeon™ HD 6490M gpu?
DV6 has a much better GPU and a higher clocked CPU which always helps with games. Dv7 is good to run minimum specs and has a higher resolution but If you want to get more frames per second or turn up the details to medium for more modern games or high for older games, the dv6 should do it.

LogicStep

So my friend bought a desktop, ASUS Essentio Series model number CM6850, and it won't send any signal to the monitor. The computer powers up and the fans start up, but it doesn't send any signal to the monitor. I tried using vga, dvi, hdmi and nothing works. It only has on board video. I don't know what is wrong with this.

Anyone know what's wrong with this computer?

Pandemic

Mine did his too and I found out I had a loose power supply cable on my GPU. Check to see if your GPU has a red light (or whatever it does to show an error, check your manual). Sometimes it can be the hdmi cable being faulty but that's rare. Usually it's a GPU problem.

Thanks mate for the response, appreciate it.

I fiddled around with the inside of the PC, and it started working again. Hopefully it keeps working, thanks again buddy!

BeeDog

I was thinking of grabbing a cheap-ish 120 GB SSD drive, but I have absolutely no experience of them whatsoever.

Is there anything in particular I have to think of, especially when it comes to read/write speeds and particularly the disk space?

Right now, I'd say I have everything I need to installed on my main drive, and the Program Files (x86 + the regular folder) and the Windows folder total up to almost 90 GB. Will this impact the performance negatively of a 128 GB model in some way, or should I be perfectly fine?

I was thinking of this particular model since it looks alright at a first glance: http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=657310

Any help is appreciated!

Banned
Thanks mate for the response, appreciate it.

I fiddled around with the inside of the PC, and it started working again. Hopefully it keeps working, thanks again buddy!
No problem. Glad I could help :)

I was thinking of grabbing a cheap-ish 120 GB SSD drive, but I have absolutely no experience of them whatsoever.

Is there anything in particular I have to think of, especially when it comes to read/write speeds and particularly the disk space?

Right now, I'd say I have everything I need to installed on my main drive, and the Program Files (x86 + the regular folder) and the Windows folder total up to almost 90 GB. Will this impact the performance negatively of a 128 GB model in some way, or should I be perfectly fine?

I was thinking of this particular model since it looks alright at a first glance: http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=657310

Any help is appreciated!
That's a fantastic SSD. Generally the high performing ones have read and write speeds of 500mb/s and lower power consumption (Less than 3W at max and idle at less than 2W). This SSD will do just fine for speed and performance and price. I myself bought my first SSD three weeks ago, a 120GB OCZ Vertex 3. It's fast. I load windows in 13 seconds, compared to 36 seconds with my old HDD.

Now, most people use the SSD as the primary drive, meaning all of windows and drivers will have to be installed on the SSD. It will be big enough if a drive to install maybe 5 or 6 games after windows and such are installed.

Recommended applications to be installed on the SSD to see benefits of from it are:

Your OS
iTunes (just iTunes, not the actual songs)
Steam
Firefox
Drivers

If you want to save space and optimize the SSD then follow Sean's guide over at overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#

Enjoy your SSD :)

Banned
So my friend bought a desktop, ASUS Essentio Series model number CM6850, and it won't send any signal to the monitor. The computer powers up and the fans start up, but it doesn't send any signal to the monitor. I tried using vga, dvi, hdmi and nothing works. It only has on board video. I don't know what is wrong with this.

Anyone know what's wrong with this computer?
That model has a discrete GPU. Either an amd radeon 6450 or an nvidia GT530. Plug the hdmi to the GPU not the motherboard.

http://www.asus.com/Desktop/Entertainment/Essentio_CM6850/#specifications

BeeDog

That's a fantastic SSD. Generally the high performing ones have read and write speeds of 500mb/s and lower power consumption (Less than 3W at max and idle at less than 2W). This SSD will do just fine for speed and performance and price. I myself bought my first SSD three weeks ago, a 120GB OCZ Vertex 3. It's fast. I load windows in 13 seconds, compared to 36 seconds with my old HDD.

Now, most people use the SSD as the primary drive, meaning all of windows and drivers will have to be installed on the SSD. It will be big enough if a drive to install maybe 5 or 6 games after windows and such are installed.

Recommended applications to be installed on the SSD to see benefits of from it are:

Your OS
iTunes (just iTunes, not the actual songs)
Steam
Firefox
Drivers

If you want to save space and optimize the SSD then follow Sean's guide over at overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#

Enjoy your SSD :)

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Will grab that SSD when I have the chance then. :)

Baconbitz

Banned
Two related questions. Where on a PC do I go to access an external drive that is plugged into my router? The second question is can iTunes have sources of where it downloads stuff to? For instance I want my podcasts on this external and my music on my laptop.

s7evn

Two related questions. Where on a PC do I go to access an external drive that is plugged into my router? The second question is can iTunes have sources of where it downloads stuff to? For instance I want my podcasts on this external and my music on my laptop.

1. My computer - Network on bottom of leftside. All storage and pc's on the router should show up there.

2. It will download to one location from what I can tell. Go edit - preferences - advanced and you can change the location, but it only uses one location for all media.

Xero

Sorry if this isn't quite the place to put this. If their is a better topic, hopefully someone can be kind enough to link to it for me.

So a few years ago I picked up a refurbished compaq a6547c for like $350. I'd always kinda have a problem with rare bluescreen memory dumps. Anyways about a month ago, my monitor isn't getting any feed from the tower. Take out the ram and find out 2 of the slots appear to have gone bad. Last night I got a blue screen and it wouldn't boot up. I took out a stick of ram and it works again. (down to 1 slot) So I've assumed I need a whole new motherboard. Looking online it looks like the motherboard is a M2N68-LA (Narra3). Now I can't really spend more then $300, but I was hoping to replace it with a motherboard that supports quad-core and possibly a cheap quad core processor. Basically if I have to replace my motherboard I would like it to be an improvement over what I have. I will note I've swapped out the power supply and video card from the original system.

Also I don't have any windows install discs or repair discs at all. What would be the best way to put windows back on the new motherboard?

Baconbitz

Banned
1. My computer - Network on bottom of leftside. All storage and pc's on the router should show up there.

2. It will download to one location from what I can tell. Go edit - preferences - advanced and you can change the location, but it only uses one location for all media.
Thanks.

I saw that someone mentioned CC cleaner. Can I use CC cleaner for deleting folders with nothing in them?

Looking for GAF opinion on this one:

Parent's friend's PC isn't working. They bring it to me to see if I can fix it/figure it out. Here's the scenario and specs:

HP Pavilion Slimline s3400f Desktop PC with Windows Vista. Apparently power shut off during a thunderstorm last week, and it's messed up ever since. The computer powers on, but there's no signal to the monitor. I tried multiple monitors, multiple cables, nothing there fixes it. Okay, next thought is video card. However, it's an integrated video card. If I had an older external video card that could fit this thing, I would try that, but the only older one I have is still too large for this thing. It's a tiny tower, that's for sure. Going to be a pain in the ass if I need to replace the motherboard.

I'm thinking that if the integrated card got fried, probably the whole damn thing got fried? And with something of this age (6 years-ish?), I'm wondering if should just start from scratch instead of trying to buy compatible parts. For example, the exact same motherboard goes for near $100 on Ebay. Bleh.

Dude doesn't have the money to pay around $300ish for a new desktop. Think I'll look on Craigslist for something similar to his, since he seems happy with it. But GAF opinion on what else I can do without buying random parts and trying them? hahaha

s7evn

Looking for GAF opinion on this one:

Parent's friend's PC isn't working. They bring it to me to see if I can fix it/figure it out. Here's the scenario and specs:

HP Pavilion Slimline s3400f Desktop PC with Windows Vista. Apparently power shut off during a thunderstorm last week, and it's messed up ever since. The computer powers on, but there's no signal to the monitor. I tried multiple monitors, multiple cables, nothing there fixes it. Okay, next thought is video card. However, it's an integrated video card. If I had an older external video card that could fit this thing, I would try that, but the only older one I have is still too large for this thing. It's a tiny tower, that's for sure. Going to be a pain in the ass if I need to replace the motherboard.

I'm thinking that if the integrated card got fried, probably the whole damn thing got fried? And with something of this age (6 years-ish?), I'm wondering if should just start from scratch instead of trying to buy compatible parts. For example, the exact same motherboard goes for near $100 on Ebay. Bleh.

Dude doesn't have the money to pay around $300ish for a new desktop. Think I'll look on Craigslist for something similar to his, since he seems happy with it. But GAF opinion on what else I can do without buying random parts and trying them? hahaha

Sounds like you're probably right.

Thanks.

I saw that someone mentioned CC cleaner. Can I use CC cleaner for deleting folders with nothing in them?

No, after looking at it I don't think it does that automatically. Seems like something you have to do manually by going through and deleting folders.

LogicStep

So anyone know about my issue? I told my friend that he has to buy a video card, any cheap one will do, to fix this issue because it seems the one it has is defective.

accx

I bought this laptop.

Both laptops are absolutely horrible for gaming. Well, the one you got seems "ok".
I think there's an laptop gaming thread over at the gaming side if you need some tips.
I've been out of the loop a little when it comes to gaming cards.
You could also, if you only want to game at home, buy a decent laptop with decent cpu and thunderbolt and go the eGpu route.
It's a hassle if you do it on your own (especially if you're not a "techie") and it's kind of expensive going for an all-in-one solution. the plus side is that you can easily upgrade the graphics card once it goes obsolete (which is the part you'll be changing anyways/upgrading laptop for).
If you want to play games maxed out all the time i would suggest the egpu route since you'll most likely wanna go ahead and upgrade every 2 years (although consoles have made this kind of redundant).
http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/
this is where you should go if you want to try out egpu. Fantastic forum.

So anyone know about my issue? I told my friend that he has to buy a video card, any cheap one will do, to fix this issue because it seems the one it has is defective.

Is it a onboard video card? try clearing cmos. there might be a setting in bios thats set to "have pci-e as main gpu" or something like that.
clearing cmos will default the settings and that usually means that onboard card is selected instead of pci-e.
if he just bought it why not just return it?

LogicStep

He can't return it because he bought it and didn't unbox it until over a month later.

How am I supposed to go into anything to change settings when no picture is being displayed?

Banned
He can't return it because he bought it and didn't unbox it until over a month later.

How am I supposed to go into anything to change settings when no picture is being displayed?

IF the monitor is not showing anything but is powered on, then the problem is the GPU itself. Most likely, the bios is set to use the discrete GPU as the default GPU, while your friend is plugging into the integrated GPU. Try removing the gpu and then booting up. Also check to see if cables and such are all connected inside the tower and outside.

This was taken from the manual of the computer your friend has. It's from the ASUS webpage.

http://www.asus.com/Desktop/Entertainment/Essentio_CM6850/#download

accx

Since it's off topic i won't go into it but a seemingly faulty product that is still covered by manufacturers warranty (which is at least 1 year) should cover it.
It shouldn't matter when he unboxed it.

and What 10k said. It's pretty much what i said but bios almost always defaults to using the integrated card. And in many cases also doesn't change even though you are removing the discrete.

Removing the discrete card might void your warranty. I don't know the policy Asus goes by.
It's dead simple, just remove the two screws on the back of the case, and then disconnect the (usually) top card. Don't do it while the computer is plugged in, or on (i've had idiots for friends who thought it would be a great idea removing internal sata drives without turning it off. Almost started a fire once).

If this doesn't work, try clearing cmos like i said. This will default the bios to using the integrated gpu.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
Remove clock battery, wait 10 minutes (i usually wait 30 seconds because i'm impatient, but whatever), add it again.

Xero

So I got suggested from the gamefaqs pc hardware forum(say what you will about the site the pc boards have always seemed like rockstars with hardware recs) this combo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1029953

I Have found out I would need new RAM, and windows 7 now. As my vista was preinstalled I need to buy another copy. Which is lame as thats a little bit more then I can afford right now altogether. Even if my girlfriend is eligible for the student discount. Oh well. Guess I'm gonna be using the work computer and my gfs netbook for awhile.

ACE 1991

So is it unsafe to remove an external hard drive without ejecting it through windows? For some reason my western digital isn't allowing me to eject it, even when all files are folders stored on it are closed.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So is it unsafe to remove an external hard drive without ejecting it through windows? For some reason my western digital isn't allowing me to eject it, even when all files are folders stored on it are closed.

Removing an external drive without ejecting it has never caused me any problems, but a friend of mine had his external HDD crash on him when he removed it without ejecting it. Can't you just reboot your PC and remove your external HDD before Windows boots up again?

Top Bottom