• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Jzero

Will using my router's QoS feature improve the performance of video-on-demand services like Netflix? I want to know if it's worth looking into. For reference, there are three computers on my network and I mainly use my PS3 for Netflix.
Yes.

Thanks for the tethering tip. Everything rolling now.

One last thing. I need to re install Adobe design premium 5.5. I have my product serial number to register it but all the links on the Adobe website to download it are either dead or direct you to 6.0. I am not 100% sure where my installation disc is. Anyone know somewhere were I can download it?
If you can't find it you could download the clean/untouched torrent of the suite and just use your key that you purchased.

My mother in law brought her computer over today and apparently cannot get it to boot up. I tried and it says "bootmgr is compressed" and the only option is to restart, which loops it right back to the same screen. Apparently she used one of those speed boost programs and it compressed her entire drive. It's a crappy HP slimline desktop computer and I cannot get it into safe mode. Booting to recovery somehow doesn't work either. All I can boot into is setup and diagnostics, neither of which will do anything for me.

It came with Vista installed on it but she has no disc. I found a Vista disc laying around but booting with it in the drive just tries to get me to install another copy of Vista. I figured I could repair the installation with the disc but apparently not. I have researched trying to fix this without being able to boot into safe mode and without a Vista disc but haven't found anything. What kind of disc do I need to repair the installation, or repair the bootup files? Does anyone know where I can get a (preferably free) repair disc that will work? Or some nifty program that can expand the file?

Jzero

My mother in law brought her computer over today and apparently cannot get it to boot up. I tried and it says "bootmgr is compressed" and the only option is to restart, which loops it right back to the same screen. Apparently she used one of those speed boost programs and it compressed her entire drive. It's a crappy HP slimline desktop computer and I cannot get it into safe mode. Booting to recovery somehow doesn't work either. All I can boot into is setup and diagnostics, neither of which will do anything for me.

It came with Vista installed on it but she has no disc. I found a Vista disc laying around but booting with it in the drive just tries to get me to install another copy of Vista. I figured I could repair the installation with the disc but apparently not. I have researched trying to fix this without being able to boot into safe mode and without a Vista disc but haven't found anything. What kind of disc do I need to repair the installation, or repair the bootup files? Does anyone know where I can get a (preferably free) repair disc that will work? Or some nifty program that can expand the file?
You're going to have to clean install windows on it. That's what she gets for using 'Speed booster' programs

Edit: Never mind just do what Cloudius said :p

Dear Techno-GAF

I downloaded some episodes of breaking bad to watch on my TV (via usb dongle) and plugged it in to find that there is no sound. Other than trying to faf around with codec's,reencoding,downloading another file with a different sound codec is there any way of getting this to work?

TV is Samsung D8000 plasma

Chur

1. Boot from Vista cd.
2. When the screen comes up asking which OS to load pick the Vista OS and then click load drivers.
3. A screen kind of like My Computer will pop up and you will see the Vista partition
4. Right click then go to Properties
5. Under the General tab uncheck the box that says "Compress drive to save disk space"
6. Click Apply and then Ok
7. Restart the computer and everything should boot up normally.

or one of these methods.
http://www.cybervaldez.com/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-compressed-error/2009/

Hopefully you can use the Vista disc you had lying around to do this.

Aesius

Would an old/failing PSU cause random reboots in a desktop?

I've got a Thermaltake Purepower 500W that's probably going on 5 years old or so without much hooked up to it (7850, 2 HDDs, mobo, 2 120mm fans), and I'm getting random reboots every few minutes-every few days. Like I said, really random.

This morning I played Metro 2033 for hours with no problems, but I just got two reboots in a row right after booting into Windows.

hi gaf. so i need some help. i just got a batarang wired xbox controller for my mac so i can use it for steam games. i downloaded the xbox controller mac driver but my computer isnt recognizing it. Ive read in reviews this controller works on mac. When i go to system preferences and xbox controller it says no devices found. I plugged the controller into my 360 and it works. can someone please help me get this working. mac is running 10.8 (mountain lion) could that be the problem?

bump

Antd0403

Neo Member
Is there any way to access incomplete downloads in Chrome. I was downloading a video via Chrome with less than 15 seconds left to complete and then I lost power. Where is the file located so I can play with VLC? It can not be accessed from the downloads tab.

My G key stopped working on my keyboard. Used canned air, rebooted, replugged USB cord, doesn't work in safe mode...still not working.

Am I screwed or are there more ways to troubleshoot this? I am not able to remove the key. It's an otherwise nice keyboard.

Kerub

Banned
My 360 suddenly stopped working today. It turns on fine but I get no signal whatsoever when I switch the channel to HDMI. I've had no problems at all before and when I played yesterday it worked, so I'm pretty puzzled about this.

I've tried switching everything off and switching to another HDMI cable but still the same problem.

Advice, please!

Update - I'm still having the same problem. I brought it over to a friends house yesterday and tried it on his TV, worked perfectly fine. I've also tried to connect my computer to the same hdmi jack, and that worked.

So I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with my xbox, tv or the hdmi cables. Yet I get no signal. Haha, my house must be cursed.

It has now been almost a month and the anomalies persist. I've tried different units with HDMI output in the same HDMI jack on the TV, and they all work. I've tried at least three different HDMI cables and everyone gave the same result - a blank screen with no signal. I've tried the same cable and same xbox on several other screens now and it has worked perfectly.

I'm thinking about calling an exorcist because this must be supernatural. :D

I have another question, if someone doesn't mind. My ISP sent me a new modem to replace the old one (new ISP bought my area from the old ISP) and it's a router/modem, which seems to be the standard these days. Is there a way I can use it soley as a modem? I really like my current router, it's an ASUS that I installed Tomato on.
Is there any way to access incomplete downloads in Chrome. I was downloading a video via Chrome with less than 15 seconds left to complete and then I lost power. Where is the file located so I can play with VLC? It can not be accessed from the downloads tab.
It should be in the folder where Chrome saves the downloads to.

What's a fellow need to do to see actual Asian characters of the various languages instead of にしよう」ではなく?

Jzero

I have another question, if someone doesn't mind. My ISP sent me a new modem to replace the old one (new ISP bought my area from the old ISP) and it's a router/modem, which seems to be the standard these days. Is there a way I can use it soley as a modem? I really like my current router, it's an ASUS that I installed Tomato on.
Don't know what brand you have but you can do this and connect your old router to your modem like you had it previously.

Don't know what brand you have but you can do this and connect your old router to your modem like you had it previously.
I thought of that, but wouldn't all of the overhead processes (firewall, etc.) of the router still function? The router/modem is a Netgear and I already set it up, since my old modem was disabled. The firmware is terrible, you can't even change the DNS servers unless you stop DHCP. :\ I guess I could always buy a modem.

Jzero

I thought of that, but wouldn't all of the overhead processes (firewall, etc.) of the router still function? The router/modem is a Netgear and I already set it up, since my old modem was disabled. The firmware is terrible, you can't even change the DNS servers unless you stop DHCP. :\ I guess I could always buy a modem.
You're right , you would have to change a lot of settings.

Yes, you should be able to disable the "router" portion of the modem and pass through to your other router. People do it all the time. What's the model of your combo?

Persona7

Banned
You might have to call your ISP to put the router into bridge mode. I had to do that because the router settings are completely locked away except for a select few.

Yes, you should be able to disable the "router" portion of the modem and pass through to your other router. People do it all the time. What's the model of your combo?
Netgear CGD24G.
You might have to call your ISP to put the router into bridge mode. I had to do that because the router settings are completely locked away except for a select few.
I don't think they have modified the firmware, judging by the manual.

Derrick01

Banned
I never thought about this before since I was always told you needed it, but what exactly does Java do? My dad told me the latest 7 version has a massive security flaw (I'm still on 6 update 33 for some reason, yay auto update failing to work!) which made me think what used it. As far as I know the only thing I've ever seen make java pop up was when I use nvidia's driver scanner to let me know what version I have and what's the current one.

If it's fairly useless then I'd just like to ax it and never worry about it again.

nan0

I never thought about this before since I was always told you needed it, but what exactly does Java do? My dad told me the latest 7 version has a massive security flaw (I'm still on 6 update 33 for some reason, yay auto update failing to work!) which made me think what used it. As far as I know the only thing I've ever seen make java pop up was when I use nvidia's driver scanner to let me know what version I have and what's the current one.

If it's fairly useless then I'd just like to ax it and never worry about it again.

Well, Java (that is usually the JRE, including the Java Virtual Machine) is required to run Java Applications such as Netbeans or Eclipse. Or as a browser plugin to run applets. If you don't use either of them, then you can maybe uninstall it. However there can be applications that are written in Java and use the JRE without you knowing it (because they may not look like a typical Java app) which then would fail to load.
If you decide to keep it, I would definitely recommend updating (and keeping it up to date) and maybe uninstalling all previous versions, since if it is installed in another folder, application may still use the older version.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, Java (that is usually the JRE, including the Java Virtual Machine) is required to run Java Applications such as Netbeans or Eclipse. Or as a browser plugin to run applets. If you don't use either of them, then you can maybe uninstall it. However there can be applications that are written in Java and use the JRE without you knowing it (because they may not look like a typical Java app) which then would fail to load.
If you decide to keep it, I would definitely recommend updating (and keeping it up to date) and maybe uninstalling all previous versions, since if it is installed in another folder, application may still use the older version.

Well the newest one is supposed to have some huge security hole right now so I'm holding off on doing that. I don't really know what that stuff is that you listed so I guess I can get away with disabling it in chrome for a while and seeing if my day to day browsing is affected at all by it being off?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole

Minecraft and Wurm Online. If you're not playing those, then you either have some app that's important to your work, or you're a student or a tools programmer that uses it, or you don't need it at all.

Once you need it, you can just install it again.

nan0

Well the newest one is supposed to have some huge security hole right now so I'm holding off on doing that. I don't really know what that stuff is that you listed so I guess I can get away with disabling it in chrome for a while and seeing if my day to day browsing is affected at all by it being off?

The older ones have also security holes. But you should be fine anyway if you don't routinely surf on sites or download files that distribute malware and have an up-to-date anti-virus scanner.

Disabling the browser plugin or running it on demand is definitely and option and should prevent the usage of exploits in the browser plugin.

Derrick01

Banned
Minecraft and Wurm Online. If you're not playing those, then you either have some app that's important to your work, or you're a student or a tools programmer that uses it, or you don't need it at all.

Once you need it, you can just install it again.

I don't play those and don't really use my PC for anything other than games (almost always Steam) and using Chrome. Unless Norton uses it or some other program I have active like d3doverrider then I don't think I need it so I uninstalled it for now. At the very least just to see if anything will pop up and let me know I need it.

Posted this in New PC thread but then realized this would probably be the more appropriate topic to post it in.

So I am shopping for a UPS battery for my gaming PC. I am constantly tripping the breakers so I would like some protection. A couple questions for those in the know. (Forgive me if I say something stupid.....I know nothing about this.)

1. Would a 500 watt UPS be ok for a gaming PC that has a 700w power supply or do I really need to match them?

2. Generally how long does their power last?

3. Is it possible it will help average out my power intake to limit how often I blow my breaker?

Here are a couple I was looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842106115

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102082

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3260287&CatId=234

Derrick01

Banned
Oracle released an Update (Java 7 Update 7) to adress the security holes you mentioned, upgrading seems to be very highly recommended.

Download: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

It would be probably a good idea to also upgrade the JDK, if one uses it.

Thanks but I uninstalled it earlier and so far it doesn't seem to be interrupting anything, so I guess I didn't really need it. That is unless it helped speed up website loading or if Steam uses it in some way, because both seem a little slower after getting rid of it. It's probably just my imagination though.

LakeEarth

Discovered my computer would not reset if I only had ram in 2 of my 4 slots. That lasted for ... about 5 days. Now it started resetting itself again. It's not the RAM, it has to be something with the motherboard.

It's annoying that everything seemed fixed, just to have it taken away from me. My 360 broke last week, so it's like there's a conspiracy against me.

Emwitus

Hey gaf. It's been almost 5 months and i've still been unable to find a screen for my viao f series :( Anyone know of a legit website to buy lcd screens? I thought about selling it but i dont think i can bite the initial loss.

I am having a strange problem. I had few spare parts (motherboard, CPU, video card, HDD) and decided recently to buy the rest of the components i needed to build a fully working computer to try to sell.

I got everything built and running, but I was experiencing some stability issues so I started testing the RAM. At first I thought that was the culprit because it was failing MemTest as well as the windows built in memory diagnostic tool, so I had the RAM replaced.

I got the new RAM and started doing tests again and discovered that for some reason when the computer is on its side it passes the tests no problems, I ran 2 full windows memory tests without a single error as well as 2 full MemTest without a single error, but when I stand the case upright and try to run them again they will not even make it to 5% before I start getting errors and usually the whole system just shuts off.

I have no idea what is happening when the computer is standing upright that would cause memory failures. My only guess is that the heatsink/fan, which i didn't install, isnt seated properly and its causing the CPU pins to mess up somehow when the computer is standing upright, but I could be way off.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

btw its an:
athlon 64 X2 @ 3.1Ghz no overclocking
2GB DDR2 800
ati 4800 series GPU

nan0

Maybe something gets shorted when you change the position of the tower? Have you tried running the components off-case, on a cardbox or something?

RBH

I'm trying to watch some videos on AT&T's U-verse on demand website, and I keep on getting this error message:

iUpOhft4HkNuZ.png

I'm on OSX 10.8.1 with Silverlight 5 (5.1.10411.0) installed.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

#COBOKBYE

Neo Member
Try this:

Re-install Silverlight

Video players sometimes contain corrupted files that need to be deleted. Please follow the steps below to fully remove Silverlight from your computer and to reinstall it:
Close your Internet browser.
Uninstall/delete your Microsoft Silverlight plugin:

Mac OS X:
Double-click the Hard Driveicon on your desktop.
Navigate to your Internet Plug-Insdirectory: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/.
Drag any of the following files you may see into your trash bin:
Silverlight.plugin
WPFe.plugin
Open your Internet browser.
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/and follow instructions to reinstall latest version of Microsoft Silverlight.
Close and restart your Internet browser.
Return to the video page and retry the video that gave you the error message.

Enabling Microsoft Silverlight DRM Support

Open your Silverlight Configuration Tool.

Mac OS X:
Navigate to the Applicationsfolder on your Mac hard drive.
Double-click the Microsoft Silverlightshortcut to open the configuration tool.
Choose the Playbacktab.
Click Enable download and updates to components required for protected content playback.

Close the menu and reopen your Internet browser.
Return to the video page and retry the video.
Repairing your Microsoft Silverlight DRM Hardware Configuration

If you encountered an error message that told you have a bad DRM Hardware Configuration file while trying to watch a video, follow the steps below.
Close all browser windows and completely exit your Internet browser.
Locate and delete the MS Silverlight DRM Configuration file on your hard drive.

Mac OS X:
Use the spotlight utility to find the file mspr.hdsor navigate to the following location:
[main hard drive]/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/PlayReady/mspr.hds
Delete the file mspr.hds.
Reopen your Internet browser.
Return to the video page and retry the video.

Maybe something gets shorted when you change the position of the tower? Have you tried running the components off-case, on a cardbox or something?

turns out my hunch was correct. the monstrosity of an after-market cooler they had on it wasn't seated properly and was losing contact with the CPU when the case was standing upright. I took it off, cleaned the CPU and put on a standard AMD cooler, everything seems to be working fine now

Kind of an odd question, but does anyone lurking or posting in this thread work for Time Warner Cable? I've had 16 cumulative days of Internet outages in the past three weeks and am at my wits' end... I have no confidence that anyone in their employ can fix the problem; have had two techs out, equipment replaced both inside and outside my home, "plant" checked my building, I've spoken to at least 15 people. It's a blast having to explain myself to their national help desk in the Philippines on a near-daily basis, not to mention the hour + hold times. Wondering if any employees can tell me a trick to speak with someone who can actually do something or give me any recourse.

EDIT: Oh, and for the lulz... Posting this from my iPhone which is currently being throttled by AT&T because I used too much data on my "unlimited" plan during my TWC outages. Of which I'm currently in the midst of the 4th.

Jzero

Kind of an odd question, but does anyone lurking or posting in this thread work for Time Warner Cable? I've had 16 cumulative days of Internet outages in the past three weeks and am at my wits' end... I have no confidence that anyone in their employ can fix the problem; have had two techs out, equipment replaced both inside and outside my home, "plant" checked my building, I've spoken to at least 15 people. It's a blast having to explain myself to their national help desk in the Philippines on a near-daily basis, not to mention the hour + hold times. Wondering if any employees can tell me a trick to speak with someone who can actually do something or give me any recourse.

EDIT: Oh, and for the lulz... Posting this from my iPhone which is currently being throttled by AT&T because I used too much data on my "unlimited" plan during my TWC outages. Of which I'm currently in the midst of the 4th.
You are just going to have to keep on trying. I had the same problem with Verizon and i had to wait so long until they were finally able to fix my intermittent connection. My problem wasn't a hardware problem though. I think it had something to do with the wiring in my apartment.

Big-E

Hi I have a recovery problem.

I brought my external usb to work in order to give some files over to my boss. Gave him the files and everything was fine. Needed to give those files to my co worker as well but her anti virus popped up saying that mostly everything on my drive was a virus and cleaned it but cleaning it took away my files. I had a lot of my dvds on there but they are all gone now as the folders are deleted but when I check the properties of my drive to see the amount of space left, those files are still there. Is there any free way to recover these files?

Ryu1999

Hey guys,

So my computer used to be a server for my PS3 through PS3 Media Server - it worked fine less than a month ago.

Now, my PS3 can't detect anything that it used to, i.e. Orb, Windows Media Player, PS3MS.

My 360 can no longer connect to my computer either.

Computer has wired connection, consoles are both wireless. I've tried restarting the router, computer, consoles, nothing works.

This is rather strange since I did not ostensibly change any network settings or add any new hardware, and I can connect to the home computer through Orb at my office, and my phone through Air Video Server

HALP!

xJavonta

Banned
Alright, I have a question that's been stumping me and I'm really pissed off by it.

In Chrome, some sites will have a randomly bolded font that seems to also be missing characters. These same sites won't have that problem in Firefox though. I've uploaded an image to show you what I mean.

The incorrect font is on the left in Chrome, the correct font is on the right in Firefox.

Can TechSupportGAF help me out? I really don't want to go back to using FF and I'm sure it's a simple fix. I tried deleting any custom fonts I have and that didn't work, I uninstalled Chrome and deleted all traces of it from my computer then reinstalled and the problem was still there. I did a malware scan and it came up negative.

I really don't know what's going on.

xJavonta

Banned
Alright, I have a question that's been stumping me and I'm really pissed off by it.

In Chrome, some sites will have a randomly bolded font that seems to also be missing characters. These same sites won't have that problem in Firefox though. I've uploaded an image to show you what I mean.

The incorrect font is on the left in Chrome, the correct font is on the right in Firefox.

Can TechSupportGAF help me out? I really don't want to go back to using FF and I'm sure it's a simple fix. I tried deleting any custom fonts I have and that didn't work, I uninstalled Chrome and deleted all traces of it from my computer then reinstalled and the problem was still there. I did a malware scan and it came up negative.

I really don't know what's going on.

Nevermind, fixed it. Kind of. Apparently Windows has a hard time rendering the Helvetica Neue font properly, so I installed a script that replaces all Helvetica Neue based sites with Arial. I think Firefox natively does that.

Jzero

Nevermind, fixed it. Kind of. Apparently Windows has a hard time rendering the Helvetica Neue font properly, so I installed a script that replaces all Helvetica Neue based sites with Arial. I think Firefox natively does that.
The font looks normal for me but some people are saying they are having the same problem. Are you on Stable?

Top Bottom