• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

n64coder

I was going to use this as my primary drive on my new Z77 mobo.

[snipped]

EDIT -- Hmm ok so maybe I have answered my own quesiton. If I dig through Gigabytes website, they say this mobo does have UEFI. This is a bit confusig because I had understood that "UEFI" replaces "BIOS" but through the printed guide Gigabyte repeatedly rerfers to it as a "BIOS". But, maybe re-installing made it a GPT partition which would allow it to be a single volume, and UEFI will boot from that. Coud be... don't really have any other explanaion right now I guess ;)

Z77 is a modern motherboard and it definitely supports UEFI and large boot drives. Glad that you got it working. I do recommend that you get an SSD to be used as the boot drive in the future. Makes Windows a lot faster.

Pop quiz!

Can anyone think of a reason why a GPU would suddenly kick its fans up to 6000rpm (hair dryer volume levels) and park itself there permanently?

Short story: I have a AMD 6950 GPU that has behaved well for the last 10 months. It's seen very little use over the last 6 of those months, as I've been away from it most of the time. While web browsing last night, the fan started accelerating until it hit max speed and it stayed there. No changes to the GPU drivers or fan speeds were being made. Checking the temps in CCC, Afterburner, GPU-Z and HWMonitor all said the same thing: that the fans were at max speed, but the GPU temp was only in the 40C-50C range. AKA, no reason for the sudden increase in fan speed. To make matters worse, the fan speed refuses to be changed. I can set it manually to any fan speed I like, but it won't slow down. I can set it to auto and it will read something like 24%, but will still be working at 6000rpm.

I shut down the machine, rebooted and all of that over the course of the next couple of hours. I've left it off for several minutes with the PSU shut off. I flipped the built-in bios switch (AMD reference GPUs have dual bios, in case one becomes corrupted) but no difference. I removed the GPU, inspected it and took the compressed air can to it, reseated and booted. Same story. Sometimes it would start quiet and act normal for a few minutes, but eventually it would turn into a jet engine again.

I've started the RMA process, but if there's a fix I haven't figured out yet for something like this, I'm all ears. I can't think of anything that would cause this. The GPU is NOT overheating, but the fans are going to max. I have no idea what could cause a fan to go to max and be totally unresponsive to commands to slow down.

If anyone has an idea, it's welcome. I'd rather NOT be down on that computer for an extended period of time, and I'd rather not have to RMA something that's not broken.
got my answer.

sensor governing the speed of the fan is shot and it thinks something is running hot, kicking the fan up to max.

it's being RMA'd. dat 4-week wait.

Link1110

Got a question about Word:
I need to format something to 20 characters per line. I screwed with fonts and margins to do this, but when I copy and paste it, the formatting is just gonna be in paragraphs. Is there any way to keep the 230 character per line formatting without doing it manually?

r3n4ud

Hi folks. I have a startup issue. When I startup my pc it hangs on the Windows startup screen for 15-20 seconds. This only started to happen after I reformatted my ssd. Before I reformatted, I had no issues. Here are my specs

i7 2700k oc'd to 4.5ghz
Asus Maximus extreme-iv
Ssd
Msi 680
16 gb ram
850w psi

Any ideas why this is happening? Makes no sense. I'm oc'ing the same as before the reformat. Strange...

Edit: using Windows 7

Carnby

I have a lenovo ideapad U400. I want to reformat all of the partitions and install Windows 7. The problem is that my Lenovo did not come with a Win7 disc and I've only been able to make a recovery disk. This does not offer the option of reformatting, only repair or recover. How do I create a boot disk that will allow me to reformat my entire laptop?

Kard8p3

So apparently I need to bridge my modem and configure my router in PPPoE to get my PSVita off of nat type 3. Problem is I don't really know how to do either. Could someone help me please?

n64coder

I have a lenovo ideapad U400. I want to reformat all of the partitions and install Windows 7. The problem is that my Lenovo did not come with a Win7 disc and I've only been able to make a recovery disk. This does not offer the option of reformatting, only repair or recover. How do I create a boot disk that will allow me to reformat my entire laptop?

You could download the Windows 7 ISO from microsoft, put it on a USB stick and make it bootable, and then just boot/install it using the OEM key associated with your laptop.

Carnby

You could download the Windows 7 ISO from microsoft, put it on a USB stick and make it bootable, and then just boot/install it using the OEM key associated with your laptop.

How? I did not buy Win7 directly from them. How would they provide me with an ISO?

Tech advice needed here. Router related.

I like to stream sports events off ESPN3 and would always get very good video quality until a new roommate moved in. With this roommate came nearly a dozen fucking gadgets that attach to my wireless router. I go around the house and unplug/deactivate wifi from 70% of said gadgets when unused in hopes to help me out. Not so much.

Is there a way I can view or limit activity/traffic to these tablets/iphones/apple tvs/wii's/imacs/ipods? Or any keywords I can google to figure out on my own because I dunno if what I asked is even a thing, or if it even matters, to my streaming. So I don't know where to start. Thanks for any help.

Also, this guy downloads movies and shows like an asshole which I've told him to relax on but I can't prove if he is or isn't still doing it.

n64coder

Tech advice needed here. Router related.

I like to stream sports events off ESPN3 and would always get very good video quality until a new roommate moved in. With this roommate came nearly a dozen fucking gadgets that attach to my wireless router. I go around the house and unplug/deactivate wifi from 70% of said gadgets when unused in hopes to help me out. Not so much.

Is there a way I can view or limit activity/traffic to these tablets/iphones/apple tvs/wii's/imacs/ipods? Or any keywords I can google to figure out on my own because I dunno if what I asked is even a thing, or if it even matters, to my streaming. So I don't know where to start. Thanks for any help.

Also, this guy downloads movies and shows like an asshole which I've told him to relax on but I can't prove if he is or isn't still doing it.

How are you streaming? Are you using a wired or a wireless connection?

What is the brand/model of your router? Usually there's a configuration page that shows what devices are connected. You might have a traffic monitoring page that shows how much traffic is being used.

Is your router wireless-N? Maybe one of the devices is wireless-G which is then slowing everything down? You could disable wireless-G to see if it helps? Maybe also change wireless password to not allow any of your roommate's devices to see if it has an effect.

Strike

Having a problem with the same laptop running Vista again. Laptop won't boot up. Cant start it in safe mode or do system recovery.
Startup repair comes up with this:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 0
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: NoOsInstalled
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 1
Problem Signature 09: FixPartitionTable
Problem Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Any suggestions? The owner stresses that they have many important files that they don't want to lose so I'm looking for a way to repair some of the corrupted files without reinstalling windows.

nan0

Having a problem with the same laptop running Vista again. Laptop won't boot up. Cant start it in safe mode or do system recovery.
Startup repair comes up with this:

Any suggestions? The owner stresses that they have many important files that they don't want to lose so I'm looking for a way to repair some of the corrupted files without reinstalling windows.

Get the important files with a Linux Live DVD off the HDD and then try repairs. The problem signature suggests that there may be a problem with the partition table, so you may try bootrec.exe from the Windows recovery console (accessible with an Install DVD).

Strike

Get the important files with a Linux Live DVD off the HDD and then try repairs. The problem signature suggests that there may be a problem with the partition table, so you may try bootrec.exe from the Windows recovery console (accessible with an Install DVD).
The laptop came with Vista preinstalled. Is there anyway I could make a repair disc?

nan0

The laptop came with Vista preinstalled. Is there anyway I could make a repair disc?

There may be tools installed to make one, but since you can't boot Vista... However to use the recovery console any install DVD should work (if you don't have one, you can download them legally, but you would need a key to install), I don't think you have to enter a serial to access the recovery options. Theoretically also Win 7 or 8 install DVDs should work, but you probably can't restore broken files from them.

SJRB

Gold Member
Since a week or so my connection speed completely tanks when I am buffering more than one video at the same time in Firefox.

My speed is normal when buffering/watching one video, but as soon as I open another video and it starts buffering my overall connection speed comes down to crawl and the videos stop buffering too. So all my speed is gone but it's going nowhere.
As soon as I close the video tabs everything is back to normal. I'm not on any bandwith limit or anything.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

jkanownik

Anyone have an idea as to how a computer could connect to a wireless router, but would be unable to access the admin menu or ping it? This problem was occurring with two different wireless adapters that both worked fine with another router. I've replaced the offending router because I couldn't find a fix online, but I'm wondering if it is sellable or not.

jkanownik

Since a week or so my connection speed completely tanks when I am buffering more than one video at the same time in Firefox.

My speed is normal when buffering/watching one video, but as soon as I open another video and it starts buffering my overall connection speed comes down to crawl and the videos stop buffering too. So all my speed is gone but it's going nowhere.
As soon as I close the video tabs everything is back to normal. I'm not on any bandwith limit or anything.

Anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

ISPs can place all kinds of throttling limits on you and they will not reveal any info on how their throttling works. I started getting throttled by Time Warner after I started using DropBox a lot. I had to upgrade to turbo to get around the throttling.

flippedb

Banned
Anyone have an idea as to how a computer could connect to a wireless router, but would be unable to access the admin menu or ping it? This problem was occurring with two different wireless adapters that both worked fine with another router. I've replaced the offending router because I couldn't find a fix online, but I'm wondering if it is sellable or not.

I always thought you had to be connected via Ethernet to the router when accessing the Admin Menu.

Ken

So here's a dumb question:

When I play League of Legends during the day, I get a constant ping of 150 ms ~ 180 ms; I never go over 200 ms. However, there's always 2 hours at night, consistently the same time every night where my ping shoots up to 250 ms and stays there the entire time. I'm currently on cable internet. I recently put a wifi password on my router thinking someone was walking by the same time every night and hopping on the connection, but even after changing the security I get the same ping. Does it have something to do with there being a lot of people with the same ISP getting on at that time(I don't know if this affects cable or something but I've heard things about "busy hours") or is there some hidden program scheduled to constantly do something at that time that I am unaware of and don't know how to find?

tldr: My ping in LoL shoots up really high at the same 2 hours every night, every day, but there are no other connections on the router but my own. Can't figure out it's my computer or if it's something out of my control.

n64coder

Did you try with a different browser (IE or Chrome) to see if you have the same issue? As another user suggested, it could be an ISP throttling issue.

I always thought you had to be connected via Ethernet to the router when accessing the Admin Menu.

It probably depends on the router. I'm able to connect to both of my routers using wireless.
What's the brand/model of the router you're using? You might want to check the owner manual to see if there's a restriction of some sort.

BigAT

Hey guys, I have been having some problems with my computer lately that I believe are related to my BIOS, but I am unsure of the cause or how to fix it. I have an Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard.The problems are as follows:

-long boot times, up to 1 minute 45 seconds to get Windows loaded (despite a fresh install of Win7 on an SSD) and nearly a minute from powering on to the start of Windows beginning to load. Particularly seems to hang during "Marvell 88SE91XX Adapter Initiazling" segment.
-extremely slow/unresponsive BIOS settings menu, a nearly two-second delay even when just navigating between menu items
-sometimes Windows loads and is completely unusable. It runs absurdly slow and stuttering, to the point that it takes 2-3 seconds for the animation of minimizing a window.
-other times Windows is just running poorly, so that I get consistent and constant frame drops in games that would otherwise run smoothly
-the above behavior is completely random and is sometimes fixed by restarting, it's a complete roll of the dice each time I turn my computer on whether it will run smoothly or not.
-a new prompt comes up while BIOS is starting that says <Press Space to Continue>. This is bypassed after about 10-15 seconds if nothing is pressed.

I recently updated my BIOS when I was installing a new SSD, but all of the behavior described above happened prior to that with the exception of the Space Bar prompt.

The remainder of my computer specs are below, any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Intel i5 760 (2.8Ghz)
12 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce GTX 460
120 GB SSD Boot Drive
1 TB Data Drive

Banglish

Well I need to change my power supply in order to support my new graphics card.
I know what wattage I need (at least 475). I'm just unsure if there are other factors that need considering.

Also I'm unsure If I should upgrade to W7 32-bit or 64-bit.
I've used the upgrade adviser and it passes all the minimum tests for 64. Do you need 4Gb to run 64-bit well? I have 5 but my mobo only can support 3.3.

Hey there, I'm at my wits end here with this problem. Hopefully someone more "in the know" can help.

In the majority of the PC games I've tried to play I run into a problem where the screen flashes black, holds for a moment then returns with the message "Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered".

The frequency of the problem varies game by game. Metro 2033 happens once in every 40+ minutes or so, Witcher 1 has it happen every couple of seconds until the computer crashes.

I've removed all my drivers, cleaned and reset my video card, upgraded to a fresh install of windows 8 (64 bit), tested my ram, checked my temperatures and still nothing.

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB)
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-I3
AMD Phenom II X4 960T

accx

Well I need to change my power supply in order to support my new graphics card.
I know what wattage I need (at least 475). I'm just unsure if there are other factors that need considering.

Also I'm unsure If I should upgrade to W7 32-bit or 64-bit.
I've used the upgrade adviser and it passes all the minimum tests for 64. Do you need 4Gb to run 64-bit well? I have 5 but my mobo only can support 3.3.

There might be different connections you would need, depending on how old your motherboard is.
But in general you should be fine..
Amperage is far more important than actual watt. With more information someone would be able to find a proper power supply.

You should be running 64-bit.

Hey there, I'm at my wits end here with this problem. Hopefully someone more "in the know" can help.

In the majority of the PC games I've tried to play I run into a problem where the screen flashes black, holds for a moment then returns with the message "Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered".

The frequency of the problem varies game by game. Metro 2033 happens once in every 40+ minutes or so, Witcher 1 has it happen every couple of seconds until the computer crashes.

I've removed all my drivers, cleaned and reset my video card, upgraded to a fresh install of windows 8 (64 bit), tested my ram, checked my temperatures and still nothing.

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT)
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB)
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-I3
AMD Phenom II X4 960T

Have you tried different drivers on different OSes?
I'm not entirely sure how stable the drivers for win 8 is, since i haven't bothered on getting it yet, but it might be a faulty card.
Try running OCCT/Furmark for a while to stress test the gpu. Be wary of the temperatures!

Plasmid

I have an ASUS PCE-N15 wireless adapter. I am running windows 7 64 bit, my downloads in steam and a few other applications are high (800 kb/s) but this is nothing compared to my laptop which can download at 1.4 mb/s. My internet is even slower in firefox. Any reason this might be happening?

s7evn

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think this question belongs here rather than the new PC thread. So here goes:

I need some networking advice.

I have the whole house wired for ethernet. And one nice n wireless router. But the house is three floors and wireless gets weak at the other end.

I am looking for something to add to the wireless. I can plug it into the wired port in the far room. Do I need to just get a second wap and set up a new ssid network? Can I use anything to keep the same ssid and simply have devices connect to either device?

I saw the Cisco linksys 1200 router for $20 on amazon. Seems like a good basic solution to extend wifi.

I have a z77 extreme 4 running a 1.40 bios there is a newer one which is 2.70 how stable is it to update i know some people say not to mess with bios. But over past few months I had random artifacts and such could this warrant a risk to update?

Enkidu

I have a bit of a problem with my PC so I guess this is as good a place as any to ask. This morning the PC wouldn't power on. Nothing at all happens when I press the power button. I'm thinking something might be wrong with the PSU but there are some LED's that light up so it must be giving at least a little bit of power so I guess there might instead be a problem with the motherboard (or perhaps something else entirely, this is really not my area of expertise). Basically I'm just asking if anyone have any suggestions on how to identify the problem and then hopefully go about fixing it.

n64coder

Hey guys, I have been having some problems with my computer lately that I believe are related to my BIOS, but I am unsure of the cause or how to fix it. I have an Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard.The problems are as follows:

-long boot times, up to 1 minute 45 seconds to get Windows loaded (despite a fresh install of Win7 on an SSD) and nearly a minute from powering on to the start of Windows beginning to load. Particularly seems to hang during "Marvell 88SE91XX Adapter Initiazling" segment.
-extremely slow/unresponsive BIOS settings menu, a nearly two-second delay even when just navigating between menu items
-sometimes Windows loads and is completely unusable. It runs absurdly slow and stuttering, to the point that it takes 2-3 seconds for the animation of minimizing a window.
-other times Windows is just running poorly, so that I get consistent and constant frame drops in games that would otherwise run smoothly
-the above behavior is completely random and is sometimes fixed by restarting, it's a complete roll of the dice each time I turn my computer on whether it will run smoothly or not.
-a new prompt comes up while BIOS is starting that says <Press Space to Continue>. This is bypassed after about 10-15 seconds if nothing is pressed.

I recently updated my BIOS when I was installing a new SSD, but all of the behavior described above happened prior to that with the exception of the Space Bar prompt.

The remainder of my computer specs are below, any help would be appreciated.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Intel i5 760 (2.8Ghz)
12 GB RAM
NVidia Geforce GTX 460
120 GB SSD Boot Drive
1 TB Data Drive

The Marvell chip is the controller for the SATA ports. How old is the motherboard? I think you should contact them to see if you can RMA the board. Seems like a board defect to me.

I think this question belongs here rather than the new PC thread. So here goes:

I need some networking advice.

I have the whole house wired for ethernet. And one nice n wireless router. But the house is three floors and wireless gets weak at the other end.

I am looking for something to add to the wireless. I can plug it into the wired port in the far room. Do I need to just get a second wap and set up a new ssid network? Can I use anything to keep the same ssid and simply have devices connect to either device?

I saw the Cisco linksys 1200 router for $20 on amazon. Seems like a good basic solution to extend wifi.

yes, you can get a WAP and use it to extend your network. I have done this at my house. I have asked my networking guys at work if I can use the same SSID and have the computer be able to go from one to the other. Apparently you can't do that with these consumer grade devices. I would like to hear from a networking expert on this topic.

broony

Hey

I want to buy something that I can use to stream media around the house and I am struggling to find what I want without paying over the odds for features I will not use. I can currently use my PC as the media center and watch stuff from there on my 360 or my tv or Ipad. I want to do this without the PC being turned on.

I want:

• About 1TB storage available to anything on my network at any time (always powered on)
  • The Storage will be connected to my router via ethernet
  • It will be UPNP compatible so my TV (Samsung LE40D580) can connect via the network

I do not need it to:
  • Stream via internet
  • Conenct directly to the TV via HDMI or whatever, the TV has an in built media browser

It seems so simple but I can't find anything that is simply network stroage without paying for extras like cloud accessibility. Likewise the really cheap stuff doesn''t seem to offer UPNP accessibility.

Help please.

n64coder

I want to do this without the PC being turned on.

Personally, I would use the PC. If you're concerned about it running all the time, you could set it to go to sleep when there's inactivity and then use Wakeup-On-Lan to bring it out of sleep when you're ready to stream.

For streaming, I would use Plex Media Server.

If you're insistent on using a NAS, it seems that Plex does have NAS software out there but I don't have much experience with it.

broony

Personally, I would use the PC. If you're concerned about it running all the time, you could set it to go to sleep when there's inactivity and then use Wakeup-On-Lan to bring it out of sleep when you're ready to stream.

For streaming, I would use Plex Media Server.

If you're insistent on using a NAS, it seems that Plex does have NAS software out there but I don't have much experience with it.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that the PC I have, has to access the network wirelessly because of where it is in the house. From a quick google wake up on LAN is wired only. Plus I doubt I am going to be able to wake up to pc from the Tv.

Altazor

hey TechGAF, small-ish question (firewall related).

A friend of mine has ESET Smart Security 5 Firewall installed and it sometimes gives her problems regarding certain programs - Windows Live Messenger, for example, is in the firewall's exception list, but sometimes the FW still blocks it and she has to close the FW, run WLM and then open the FW again. What's wrong with the FW? It shouldn't block messenger because it's in the exception list, but it does so... how can she fix that?

thanks in advance guys! :D

Banglish

Alright, so I've installed W7 x64, problem is once it's booted and passed the "windows is starting", I have a black screen with the cursor and it's got the blue loading circle every so often. Any ideas?

Also I'm looking to install W7 on my moms netbook. It's an HP Mini 210-2100. Intel atom 1.5 GHz. 1Gb ram.
What's the best bet for a smooth running OS on those specs?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
One of my drives is acting strange. I've had Steam on it for months, and then suddenly it stopped working because it couldn't write to the directory. Previously, I tried to install some other game (non-Steam), and it wouldn't work because of a similar problem.

Is there a way to reconfigure/reset a drive's permission settings?

Have you tried different drivers on different OSes?
I'm not entirely sure how stable the drivers for win 8 is, since i haven't bothered on getting it yet, but it might be a faulty card.
Try running OCCT/Furmark for a while to stress test the gpu. Be wary of the temperatures!

Yeah I was originally running Windows 7 64-bit when I encountered this problem. There's no difference between it and Windows 8, the issue is exactly the same.

I have a lower range ATI video card for a computer I'm putting together for my parent's place. I think I'll stick that in my PC first and see if I get the same problem.

__

Yeah, game ran without any crashes whatsoever on the new card. I'll so what I can get in terms of RMA from them.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I upgraded my Linksys 2500 router's firmware to the latest version, but the instructions say to complete the upgrade, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. Isn't that going to reset it to factory default?

EasyMode

My manager brought in his wife's HP G72 laptop saying the keyboard doesn't work. It's running Windows 7 64 Home and has no battery, she just plugs it in. After trying it, I noticed that the keyboard will work, but only in the bios or safe mode (without networking only!) USB keyboards work just fine.

Here's what I've tried so far to no avail:

• Checking for stuck keys
  • Looked for other keyboards in device manager (it's the only one)
  • Rolling back the driver (It's a Standard PS/2 Keyboard, there's no driver to rollback to)
  • Updating the driver to a newer HP one from the standard Microsoft one
  • Disabling Numlock using the on screen keyboard
  • Malware scan (Combofix, TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes came up clean)
  • Factory restore (formats and reinstalls Windows, he said it was okay and I backed up the files)

This has me baffled. The device manager says it's working properly, and toggling numlock/capslock also toggles the lights for those keys on the keyboard. Any ideas TechSupportGAF?

Persona7

Banned
So I upgraded my Linksys 2500 router's firmware to the latest version, but the instructions say to complete the upgrade, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. Isn't that going to reset it to factory default?
Probably.

Probably has to clear the NVRAM out. Can you make a settings backup file with that router?

kennah

My manager brought in his wife's HP G72 laptop saying the keyboard doesn't work. It's running Windows 7 64 Home and has no battery, she just plugs it in. After trying it, I noticed that the keyboard will work, but only in the bios or safe mode (without networking only!) USB keyboards work just fine.

Here's what I've tried so far to no avail:

• Checking for stuck keys
  • Looked for other keyboards in device manager (it's the only one)
  • Rolling back the driver (It's a Standard PS/2 Keyboard, there's no driver to rollback to)
  • Updating the driver to a newer HP one from the standard Microsoft one
  • Disabling Numlock using the on screen keyboard
  • Malware scan (Combofix, TDSSKiller, Malwarebytes came up clean)
  • Factory restore (formats and reinstalls Windows, he said it was okay and I backed up the files)

This has me baffled. The device manager says it's working properly, and toggling numlock/capslock also toggles the lights for those keys on the keyboard. Any ideas TechSupportGAF?

Sounds like an IRQ conflict. In the Device Manager for your Keyboard check the Resources Tab for an IRQ number, then check other devices for the same number. You could probably fix it in the BIOS by reserving IRQs under an advanced setting or something. This is an old school problem, I'm kind of surprised it's happening.

EasyMode

Sounds like an IRQ conflict. In the Device Manager for your Keyboard check the Resources Tab for an IRQ number, then check other devices for the same number. You could probably fix it in the BIOS by reserving IRQs under an advanced setting or something. This is an old school problem, I'm kind of surprised it's happening.

Thanks for that idea. I took the lazy route and opened System Information > System Summary > Hardware Resources > IRQs. The keyboard is on IRQ 1 with nothing else, but that did give me an idea. Since the keyboard does work in safe mode without networking, I tried disabling the ethernet and wifi adapters (which are IRQs 17 & 16 respectively), and voila! It works!

So I tried disabling only one at a time, and apparently the keyboard will work with just the ethernet enabled. Now I just have to figure out why the wifi adapter is causing this despite not having an IRQ conflict with the keyboard.

kennah

Thanks for that idea. I took the lazy route and opened System Information > System Summary > Hardware Resources > IRQs. The keyboard is on IRQ 1 with nothing else, but that did give me an idea. Since the keyboard does work in safe mode without networking, I tried disabling the ethernet and wifi adapters (which are IRQs 17 & 16 respectively), and voila! It works!

So I tried disabling only one at a time, and apparently the keyboard will work with just the ethernet enabled. Now I just have to figure out why the wifi adapter is causing this despite not having an IRQ conflict with the keyboard.

Yeah, the without networking is what gave me the irq conflict idea. Interesting that the wifi adapter is conflicting with the keyboard. Strange!

EasyMode

Yeah, the without networking is what gave me the irq conflict idea. Interesting that the wifi adapter is conflicting with the keyboard. Strange!

Very strange, but I appreciate the help! Apparently she only uses a wired connection and never wifi, so problem solved averted I guess. The wifi thing has me curious though.

Top Bottom