• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Did you try clicking on 'Advanced System Settings' and then on 'System Protection' ?

and by the way, what type of update was it?

I'm not seeing "system protection" anywhere under advanced system settings. Am I just being dumb and missing it?

The primary update was something to with validating microsoft files, I believe. Also there were 3 or so secodary nvidia updates. It was all through windows update, though.

I've tried a clean install by booting from a disc that has ISO files of win7 with no luck. Also tried downloading win7 from my school's site but it won't install in safe mode. I'm going to take it to more tech guys tomorrow. Blergh

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why was it of no luck booting from an ISO? Did it just not want to get anywhere?

You could try booting into safe mode and loading up command prompt with admin and typing

sfc /scannow

It could just be a corrupt file that might be corrected via the above.

Why was it of no luck booting from an ISO? Did it just not want to get anywhere?

You could try booting into safe mode and loading up command prompt with admin and typing

sfc /scannow

I'm in bed so I will try this tomorrow morning and report back, thanks!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is it where I plug in SATA cabel?

imag0051ffuy9.jpg

You could try CPU-Z - it shows all values for CPU/Memory speeds.

CPU-Z did it right.

sfc /scannow

Did this twice, found nothing on both searches. About to hit up my school's tech help. Supposedly they have loaner win7 install discs so I can at least do a clean install for real.

Pocks

How do I create a filter in Gmail for emails containing a specific HTML formatted hyperlink.

For instance

This is a test hyperlink

Note that the URL is zombo.com — however if you search Gmail for that URL, it turns up no results.

Can I use a workaround using Outlook or something? I just want to filter or forward emails based on the actual URL of a hyperlink.

EDIT: You can't search by URL in Windows Live Mail either. This is bollocks, how is such a basic feature overlooked by two major email clients?

Hypatia

I'm pretty sure it's not a software problem or a Hard Drive problem. What you can do right now is to remove some of the ram and put as little physical ram as you can and see if your computer doesn't re-start that way. If it does restart, change it to the next stick of ram and see if it shuts down. If that still doesn't work then it could be your motherboard that's faulty.

I've sorted it out now so thank you! It never would've occurred to me that it was faulty RAM without your help. Really appreciate it!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
just found out that my Corsair VS550 missing a 4-pin power connector which is located near CPU. How is that fucking possible, am I missing something? Can motherboard work without 4-pin connected?

edit: nvm, found it.

Ken

Youtube started not playing any videos. Not sure what happened; didn't install anything new. On Chrome BTW.

BIGWORM

Can someone in here suggest a good TIM? I need to clean/reapply TIM on my GPU and CPU heatsink. I still have a sample batch of ICD7 from an OC.net vendor test run, but I don't wanna head out to my local Radioshack and get AS5. I'm looking for something better than that.

Jzero

Can someone in here suggest a good TIM? I need to clean/reapply TIM on my GPU and CPU heatsink. I still have a sample batch of ICD7 from an OC.net vendor test run, but I don't wanna head out to my local Radioshack and get AS5. I'm looking for something better than that.
TIM? I've never heard anyone call it that before. Anyways, I always use Arctic Silver, i haven't tried anything better though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

AS5 is about as good as it gets. There are other crazier options, But most people tend to stick with Arctic Silver.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My GPU makes a lot of noise whenever I start my PC or whenever it's in Standby mode or even Safe Mode. Is there a setting or something that can make it shut up while it's under those modes?

t-ramp

AS5 is about as good as it gets. There are other crazier options, But most people tend to stick with Arctic Silver.
I don't think this is accurate. Stuff like Arctic Cooling MX-4 is typically considered a better choice due to not requiring curing and being non-conductive. There are a bunch of other options, of course, but AS5 isn't the go-to paste that it once was.

Maybe ask what is recommended in the "I Need a New PC!" thread.

linkboy

My wife was playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (I know) and she's getting the Input not support error. The problem is that it's killed regular Windows as well.

She can boot the computer into Safe Mode and I've had her run System Restore from there (which didn't fix it). I've also had her run "Last Known Good Configuration" and that didn't work either.

The main issue I'm facing with this is that I'm in Afghanistan, so I'm trying to get this fixed without being there in person.

Any tips or pointers that I could pass to her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

aristotle

So I installed Win8 yesterday. Win7 Ultimate was working flawlessly before. Now for some reason while I was playing WoW, the driver crashed. After a short restart, it did it again but this time it didn't force-close the game like it did the first time. I was able to play for as long as I wanted with no other problems. Is it strictly a driver issue or would it be because of W8? I had just updated my Nvidia drivers as well so I'm not sure if it's the drivers or the OS. I've never had a video driver actually crash while playing a game so this is new for me.

Beckx

So, I just received a new Sager 9150 on Tuesday. It worked more or less fine on Tuesday.

Arrived home last night, opened it, and it wouldn't wake up. Just a black screen with mouse cursor. Hard reboot and it displayed information that it was rebuilding or checking the SRT caches because it wasn't shut down properly. But just went to a black screen again (with mouse cursor). Hard reboot again and it goes immediately to black screen. No hard drive activity.

Pop in system recovery disk for Windows 8. If I try "refresh" or reset in system recovery I get the message that the hard drive is locked. Repair option reports that it can't repair any problems. Attempts to reinstall windows fail ("driver not found"). Using command prompt when I try "cd C:" it reports "drive not found." In BIOS, it shows the hard drive on SATA port 1 (would it show this if the hard drive was bad)?

Tech support from the vendor suggested burning hiren's boot CD, but I don't know what to look for when I do that.

Any ideas? What does the "locked" message mean? Is the HD dead & I'm wasting my time with the boot CD?

Edit: well, this was strange. It took some doing to be able to use Hirem's Boot CD. BIOS wouldn't give me an option to boot from CD, but I tried turning off some boot options & OS options, and then when I restarted, it booted up and I had access to the tools. Ran a few diagnostics - Seagate tools and a memory test reported that the HD and memory were fine. But other HD & memory tools didn't work (HDTools couldn't find any disks and MemTest gave out of memory errors instead of running). Went back to BIOS and tried to put the settings back the way they were, and rebooted. This time I got a Sager logo and a message that there were errors on the disk, and that the machine was diagnosing and attempting to fix.

A few minutes later it rebooted again and now everything is fine. The machine runs like a charm.

I'm glad it's running but it's going to drive me crazy not knowing why it decided to fix itself.

Le-mo

Gaf I'm a beginner Network major and I'm stuck at this one lab. Visio lab. How would I create two static IP addresses for the server with two nics? This is on Windows Server 2008.

kennah

We can't log in to that server and we're not going to do your homework for you.

Also if you're having trouble assigning a static IP you have a long hard road ahead of you...

Le-mo

We can't log in to that server and we're not going to do your homework for you.

Also if you're having trouble assigning a static IP you have a long hard road ahead of you...
I don't have trouble assigning static IP. I'm having trouble finding the second Lan interface on the second server. I have it connected to two switches but only one of the switch shows up. Didn't know you needed a login.

Gav

Ok, need some help with my Windows 8 PC and my XBox 360.

I cant stream music to my XBox from my PC. In the 360 menu, if i press select music, my PC is listed, but going into it, no artists/albums/playlists etc are found.
It worked fine on Windows 7 and my old iMac.

My XBox isnt seen in devices on my PC either.
All my music is in the my music folder. I use iTunes, but Windows Media player can see and has indexed everything.
XBox is connected as a Windows Media Extender also. And i can use Smartglass from my PC, so they do talk to each other.

I would just like to stream some music whilst gaming, but 'no artists found' etc is always shown when i try to go into my PC via the 360.

Okay. I had Catalyst Control Center installed on my HP Pavilion Dv7 laptop. I installed my own OS shortly and then reinstalled windows 7. Now, I have installed all drivers and optional drivers. When I try to install CCC, it says I don't have the correct card now. It's the same damn laptop. I know I do.

Any ideas? All drivers are updated the most they can be.

Okay. I had Catalyst Control Center installed on my HP Pavilion Dv7 laptop. I installed my own OS shortly and then reinstalled windows 7. Now, I have installed all drivers and optional drivers. When I try to install CCC, it says I don't have the correct card now. It's the same damn laptop. I know I do.

Any ideas? All drivers are updated the most they can be.

CCC (Catalyst Control Center) should've been installed together with your graphics card driver when you reinstalled Windows 7. Does your HP laptop have a AMD CPU/GPU combo thats integrated? Integrated cards may require special packages from your manufacturer.

I assume your trying to use the installer from AMD's own site and not of your manufacturer's site.

Hey,

I get this error very rarely when I boot up.

No idea whats causing it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Googling it doesnt seem to give any answers.

LkxlRnN.jpg

Hey,

I get this error very rarely when I boot up.

No idea whats causing it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Googling it doesnt seem to give any answers.

LkxlRnN.jpg

Are you using IBM's Lotus Notes? The IccLibrary error seems relevant to it. Try repairing/reinstalling the affected component.

krae_man

A couple days ago streaming videos started loading like crap on my PC. Youtube, Gametrailers, it doesn't matter where. Downloading is fine, I downloaded Path of Exile which was like 5gb no problem and I streamed a HD movie through Cinemanow on my PS3 without even a hiccup so I'm completely lost about what the cause could be.

I installed the latest flash
ran a virus scan
issues are the same in FF, Chrome and IE

I'm lost.

magenta

iCKmbtfB4F69g.png

As you can tell, something has gone corrupt and I don't know why.

Background: I purchased a 2TB Seagate external hard drive to dump all my files onto when I was upgrading to Windows 8. I was going to make this my go to drive for media but I just haven't sorted through the junk yet. Now when I tried to access one pic inside that folder this happens. It only happens to that particular directory.

Is there anyway I can recover these files in that folder? I really don't want to lose them all.

t-ramp

iCKmbtfB4F69g.png

As you can tell, something has gone corrupt and I don't know why.

Background: I purchased a 2TB Seagate external hard drive to dump all my files onto when I was upgrading to Windows 8. I was going to make this my go to drive for media but I just haven't sorted through the junk yet. Now when I tried to access one pic inside that folder this happens. It only happens to that particular directory.

Is there anyway I can recover these files in that folder? I really don't want to lose them all.
I think CHKDSK might be able to resolve issues like this, but I don't know for sure. Maybe look into it a bit, but opening an administrative command prompt and running:

chkdsk /f /r D:

should scan the drive and attempt to repair file system errors.

Ambitious

I've got an external USB hard drive with some videos, ripped DVDs, backups and so on. What would be the simplest solution to be able to access the files not only from my home network (wireless), but also remotely over the internet (over a secure connection, of course)?

Do I need some kind of NAS or even a server? I'd rather not buy a PC which had to be always on for this. As I plan to get myself a nice home theater setup this year, some kind of HTPC would maybe also be something to take into consideration. That is, if I could access it remotely.

My external IP address is dynamic, but it changes only once every few months (if at all), so that's no problem.

magenta

I think CHKDSK might be able to resolve issues like this, but I don't know for sure. Maybe look into it a bit, but opening an administrative command prompt and running:

chkdsk /f /r D:

should scan the drive and attempt to repair file system errors.

Thank you, it worked.

lingiii

Banned
this might be slightly off-topic, but here we go:

I have a Verizon HTX 8X, which supports Qi wireless charging. I want to get an inductive charging pad to put on my desk at work, but this is such a new thing I feel like buying something is taking a shot in the dark. Anyone have any experience with this and can recommend a charging pad?

CCC (Catalyst Control Center) should've been installed together with your graphics card driver when you reinstalled Windows 7. Does your HP laptop have a AMD CPU/GPU combo thats integrated? Integrated cards may require special packages from your manufacturer.

I assume your trying to use the installer from AMD's own site and not of your manufacturer's site.

Nah, it has switchable graphics, but it never worked from the start after reinstalling. Now, after installing the latest BIOS and updates, the ATI Radeon (6050M, IIRC) doesn't even show up. Just the integrated Intel HD Graphics...

methodman

Banned
Just installed Windows 8 on my laptop. I can't connect to my wifi cause it's setup as a wep shared, and there is no option for shared wep in w8. whats another application I can use to connect to my wifi? This is so annoying lol.

Ps I gotta use wep shared, even though I know it sucks. My mom works from home and her company setup our network like this.

Jzero

Just installed Windows 8 on my laptop. I can't connect to my wifi cause it's setup as a wep shared, and there is no option for shared wep in w8. whats another application I can use to connect to my wifi? This is so annoying lol.

Ps I gotta use wep shared, even though I know it sucks. My mom works from home and her company setup our network like this.

You might as well disable wep since it's not that secure. It's pretty easy to change security settings in the router though.

Vyer

Don't know how it would work out with 8, but depending on your router you could download the proprietary software from whoever made it (dlink, net gear, etc) and see if it would connect. On older versions of Windows you don't have to use Windows to manage wireless connections. Haven't tested with 8 yet.

I have been unable to install security updates for Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit) over the last few days. I have successfully used update for most optional updates but the "important" ones keep failing
techq1.png

techq2.png

So far I have tried a variety of steps I read online, such as disabling my firewall/spyware protection (temporarily of course), using WindowsFixIt, using the troubleshooting tool for Windows Update, and used the System Update Readiness. I have SP1 on my computer already. It doesn't seem like I can chose a system restore point that goes back further than this problem, either.

(I am also unable to download IE 9 using Windows Update; I don't use IE though)
(most of those optional updates are language packages I don't plan on downloading)

quoted...anyone got any ideas?

system specs

i5 2500K stock
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
corsair ATX 1200 PSU
2 GTX 680
samsung 830 512gb SSD
etc
etc
anyhoo everything had been perfect since i had put together this system since Christmas
but last week I was getting random shut downs while in the middle of games or browsing the internet. it would either be every 15 minutes or every few hours.completely random.

when i would turn on the computer again I would get a message that said Anti-surge protection was triggered, system was shut down to protect from unstable power supply.

three days ago, the power button wasn't even working, PC completely shut off. I tried the paper clip test and the PSU worked then, but I was not getting video from any of my cards.
fans where on however. should I RMA the motherboard or the PSU or both? any suggestions?

Java is not working on my laptop. I have a 64 bit windows and tried to google it and downloaded the 64 bit java, but it still does not work. What to do, please help, i need Java to log in into my new university.

Aggrotek

I guess I will post here. I am trying to record both the audio from my speakers and the audio from my microphone.

Basically I am trying to do a Let's Play using VisualBoyAdvance. I need a program that will allow me to capture the video from the program that includes the speaker audio. Don't care about the mic audio because I am using Audacity. I don't know what to do.

Java is not working on my laptop. I have a 64 bit windows and tried to google it and downloaded the 64 bit java, but it still does not work. What to do, please help, i need Java to log in into my new university.

What do you mean by 'not work'. Did the installation go smoothly without errors? Which version did you download and install, version 6 update 38 or version 7 update 11? Fyi, both the 32 bit or 64 bit versions should work if your target java application is 32 bit.

Yen

Does "socket operation encountered a dead network" seem familiar to anyone? My laptop had a very nasty trojan that I was unable to remove (I didn't have the balls to fiddle about with registries etc) so I sent it into the local repair guy. He seems to have removed the trojan, but I can connect to the Internet now and get the aforementioned message - laptop can't seem to identify my BT home hub.

Paches

system specs

i5 2500K stock
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
corsair ATX 1200 PSU
2 GTX 680
samsung 830 512gb SSD
etc
etc
anyhoo everything had been perfect since i had put together this system since Christmas
but last week I was getting random shut downs while in the middle of games or browsing the internet. it would either be every 15 minutes or every few hours.completely random.

when i would turn on the computer again I would get a message that said Anti-surge protection was triggered, system was shut down to protect from unstable power supply.

three days ago, the power button wasn't even working, PC completely shut off. I tried the paper clip test and the PSU worked then, but I was not getting video from any of my cards.
fans where on however. should I RMA the motherboard or the PSU or both? any suggestions?

Try swapping RAM around or out. Faulty RAM has caused the same issues you described with me before.

Aggrotek

I guess I will post here. I am trying to record both the audio from my speakers and the audio from my microphone.

Basically I am trying to do a Let's Play using VisualBoyAdvance. I need a program that will allow me to capture the video from the program that includes the speaker audio. Don't care about the mic audio because I am using Audacity. I don't know what to do.

Quoted for new page.

So I just built a new computer and I thought, why don't I just pull my 1.5 TB hdd out of my old PC and put in this one? Well, I did that but it isn't showing in Win 8. It doesn't show in device manager, but it does appear in the BIOS. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom