• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

toon_link

Umm I apologize if this post will be lacking some details for now but I need sleep and I just wanted to ask beforehand so someone might have a idea until tomorrow...

Well long story short I build a new PC for a friend inside a Thermaltake v3 Black Edition case and the system won't turn on sadly :/ Not even the fans twitch and before we try another PSU I wondered if it could be a simple grounding issue as the case doesn't have traditional standoffs as you can see here:

The standoffs are basically part of the case itself and I figured this might be why the system doesn't start as the whole motherboard shorts out :/ But the thing is next to the usual PWR SW, RESET SW, HDD LED etc. cables there is a 4-pin cable called GRND which isn't listed in the manual and I assume this is the grounding we are missing though honestly I have no idea where I should connect this cable to as there isn't any place it fits on the board itself :(

Thanks for help and any ideas in advance, I will add more details tomorrow!

Thats queer, I've never heard of a GRND cable. What does it lead to, are you sure it isnt just the speaker cable?

Anyways try this
Is the 4(8?) pin cpu power connector plugged in?
Is the graphics card seated properly, is it plugged in to the PSU?
Is the ram seated properly, Try using only 1 stick.
Is the ram placed in the correct slots (Some i7 motherboards require ram to be installed in the slots starting with the one further away from the CPU) check the manual
Is the cpu fan plugged in?
Does the psu have a power sswitch, is it on?

I know these are simple, but you never know? ;)

If your still having problems try building the thing outside of the case(some people call it "breadboarding" idk why)
And finally, try just booting with only a cpu and heatsink and fan installed.
If you dont get any beeps from the bios speaker, then it is probably a bad psu, motherboard, or CPU

Thats queer, I've never heard of a GRND cable. What does it lead to, are you sure it isnt just the speaker cable?

Anyways try this
Is the 4(8?) pin cpu power connector plugged in?
Is the graphics card seated properly, is it plugged in to the PSU?
Is the ram seated properly, Try using only 1 stick.
Is the ram placed in the correct slots (Some i7 motherboards require ram to be installed in the slots starting with the one further away from the CPU) check the manual
Is the cpu fan plugged in?
Does the psu have a power sswitch, is it on?

I know these are simple, but you never know? ;)

If your still having problems try building the thing outside of the case(some people call it "breadboarding" idk why)
And finally, try just booting with only a cpu and heatsink and fan installed.
If you dont get any beeps from the bios speaker, then it is probably a bad psu, motherboard, or CPU

Thanks for the reply toon_link, how is it going saving Hyrule these days? :p But kidding aside well there was something else written on the cable besides GRND but I can't remember what it was and I will only see the PC again in three hours :/ Though I'm fairly sure it isn't a speaker cable as I remember these cables being separate:

HDD LED, PW LED. RESET SW, PW SW, AC'97 and HD AUDIO, alongside these is the mysterious cable which seems to originate from somewhere near the case front.

And to answer your questions:

Is the 4(8?) pin cpu power connector plugged in? (Yeah I checked that!)
Is the graphics card seated properly, is it plugged in to the PSU? (It seemed like it and yeah!)
Is the ram seated properly, Try using only 1 stick. (We only have one stick of 8GB :( )
Is the ram placed in the correct slots (Some i7 motherboards require ram to be installed in the slots starting with the one further away from the CPU) check the manual (Oh interesting, I learned RAM should always be in the first slot, will try that!)
Is the cpu fan plugged in? (It is!)
Does the psu have a power sswitch, is it on? (Yeah we double-checked that! xD)

And yeah building it outside the case was our next plan I just hoped we missed something obvious with this mysterious cable, I never heard of it either though I will try to get a picture of it today, thanks for the help! :)

Robso

I recently bought Bionic Commando for PC and it asks me to insert the disc every time I want to play. Is it okay to use a patch, I presume, is intended for when you pirate the game to get around inserting a disc?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, away from the above question, I recently bought some home plugs/network adapters, and the speed isn't as fast as when connected directly wired. Is this right?

toon_link

I recently bought Bionic Commando for PC and it asks me to insert the disc every time I want to play. Is it okay to use a patch, I presume, is intended for when you pirate the game to get around inserting a disc?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, away from the above question, I recently bought some home plugs/network adapters, and the speed isn't as fast as when connected directly wired. Is this right?

Wikipedia says its okay, can't help you find the patch though

For the second question, are you talking about the network adapters that are plugged into the electrical sockets and use your home wiring for data?
I think most of them only reach speeds of like 500mbps whereas straight ethernet is like 1 gbps

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
How do I delete a folder that won't delete? When I press delete it says preparing but it stays at 0kb and either freezes or just keeps on calculating. It's the W7 media player art cache.

moris

How do I delete a folder that won't delete? When I press delete it says preparing but it stays at 0kb and either freezes or just keeps on calculating. It's the W7 media player art cache.

Try closing any running program that may be using those files and delete. If it doesn't work, restart your computer and then go delete that folder.

Neverfade

I had something go haywire with a Chrome installation. I now have an icon for it, but if I try to do anything related to Chromes (open, uninstall, reinstall the .exe), blue screen/memory dump.

What the scuff?

Robso

Wikipedia says its okay, can't help you find the patch though

For the second question, are you talking about the network adapters that are plugged into the electrical sockets and use your home wiring for data?
I think most of them only reach speeds of like 500mbps whereas straight ethernet is like 1 gbps

Yeah, using the home wiring.

SLV

Right guys, i am running in to some issues now, luckily it is now though as i still have warranty 2-5 months for the parts that might be at fault.

So basically here is what is happening.

Sometimes i get the pop up, that a audio jack has been connected and straight after that it is disabled. Without anything being plugged in or out.

The second issue.

After the pc has been switched off for the night. ( as i got my new media streaming router, i don't keep my pc on 24/7), the first time i start i get one long beep and 3 short ones. Looking up my mobos(p8p67 asus B3) information, it means that a graphics card(Asus GTX 570 DCUII) has not been detected. After the beeps, if i push reset, the PC starts normally. Although MSI afterburner showed that no hardware has been found. As i manually launch it after the prompt it works ok. And all the default Nvidia settings get dropped after the fact when i get the beeps.

Now what could be dying. Mobo ? Graphics card ?

I got a I5 2500k at 4.4 Ghz, 8 gb Kingston 1333 Hyper x ram, and a thermaltake 775 wat, 60 amp PSU. At peak load my wattage is about 450-500 wat. What could be at fault here ? Unfortunately i don't have the means to get a different graphics card for testing. Windows 8 btw.

Just tested, seams it does not matter, if it has been 16 hours or 30 seconds, after full shutdown i get the beeps, push reset it launches alright.

EDIT: Updated the mobo to the latest BIOS, it seams that there was a microscopic misalignment on my gpu, after i cleaned my pc from dust just a few days ago, i pushed it in a bit, and now the beeps are gone. And the graphics card seams fine, will have to look out for when the audio jack prompt shows up now, as the only remaining issue.

hey guys, got a couple of problems:
1. just bought a tp-link 300mbps router, which should be a nice upgrade from my old 54mbps piece of junk. anyway, trying to transfer a file across wirelessly from my nas-drive to my mac is now slower than it was before! in my naivety, all i've done so far is plug the drive into the router via the ethernet cable, just as it was all set up on my old router. is there some security setting or set up i need to do that might be stopping me getting my full (or something thereabouts, practically) speed?

2. i created a website a little while ago: http://www.showmeyourskeleton.com & when i try to view it, i often get a google warning claiming

"The identity of this website has not been verified.
• Server's certificate does not match the URL."

what am i doing wrong? i created it using squarespace.com & bought my own domain. have i set this up incorrectly?

cheers!

AngryMoth

Hi gaf. I'm having trouble getting my ps3 to connect to the internet while a wireless repeater I just bought (Huawei WS320) is active. All my other devices are connecting with out any issues. It can find the network but in the easy setup it times out when I enter the password and on custom setup it fails to obtain the IP address when you try testing the connection. I tried everything I could think of until I finally unplugged the repeater and it connected with no problems. Any ideas on how I can fix this issue will be much appreciated, my house is currently at war between people wanting to watch netflix in the front room and me and my friend wanting internet in the top floor bedrooms.

tm24

So lately ive been getiing random crashes on my pc. It doesnt blue screen, my monitor just goes black, the fans still run and my keyboatd remains lit. There's no rhyme or reason for the crashes. It first started whelaying LoL and then every other time its different. Sometimes it happens before W7 starts loading, aometimes during, sometimes a bit after and other times just randomly after using it and no problems present.

Ive run Prime95 and the temps are normal. Memtest86+ didnt return any errors. Speedfan told me my hdd is fine after an extensive test. My only last move is to reformat but waiting to get an external drive to back up my steam folder. Any other suggestions of what is going on here?

BIGWORM

So lately ive been getiing random crashes on my pc. It doesnt blue screen, my monitor just goes black, the fans still run and my keyboatd remains lit. There's no rhyme or reason for the crashes. It first started whelaying LoL and then every other time its different. Sometimes it happens before W7 starts loading, aometimes during, sometimes a bit after and other times just randomly after using it and no problems present.

Ive run Prime95 and the temps are normal. Memtest86+ didnt return any errors. Speedfan told me my hdd is fine after an extensive test. My only last move is to reformat but waiting to get an external drive to back up my steam folder. Any other suggestions of what is going on here?

Check connections with GPU. Reseat if necessary. Check PSU as well.

davidnic

Hey GAF, I am a support officer but this problem is annoying I the fix I did I think it is long term. I work in at the local council.

The problem
I log in as the user and there network so slow or doesn't work, you only get to certain network drives.

Login as myself my network is fine and I see and get into all the network drives.

Solution
I found out it had a IP conflict so did a ipconfig /release and renew, restart the computer and it still had the IP address so I found a spare IP address on the network and set a static and it fix the problem with the user.

My Query
How come I had no problem seeing the network under my login and the user did? and it only told me once it had IP conflict.

Suppose it werid problem not sure what cause the IP Conflict in the first place cause the computer was on and before I touch it had a Dynamic IP Address.

Koroviev

Hey GAF, I am a support officer but this problem is annoying I the fix I did I think it is long term. I work in at the local council.

The problem
I log in as the user and there network so slow or doesn't work, you only get to certain network drives.

Login as myself my network is fine and I see and get into all the network drives.

Solution
I found out it had a IP conflict so did a ipconfig /release and renew, restart the computer and it still had the IP address so I found a spare IP address on the network and set a static and it fix the problem with the user.

My Query
How come I had no problem seeing the network under my login and the user did? and it only told me once it had IP conflict.

Suppose it werid problem not sure what cause the IP Conflict in the first place cause the computer was on and before I touch it had a Dynamic IP Address.

Are we talking about domain accounts? It sounds like a rights issue. Generally speaking, IT dept. accounts have admin rights, but standard users are much more limited in terms of the network drives to which they are granted access, including the ability to map certain drives.

davidnic

Are we talking about domain accounts? It sounds like a rights issue. Generally speaking, IT dept. accounts have admin rights, but standard users are much more limited in terms of the network drives to which they are granted access, including the ability to map certain drives.

Yes, I talking about domain accounts, (I am a domain admin) but the drive\s that I was trying access everyone should be able to access them on the domain. Before the problem occur the user could access the drives, No permissions where change.

MNC

I have 2 gmail accounts, one is business, the other is... Well, other. My main is the other (Hah, I was such a youngster and had a 'serious' business email created later... Anyway...)

I have a main Gmail account (Account A) and a second Gmail account (Account B) that forwards its mail to A. The thing is, I completely forgot what my password, security question, etc is for account B; I can still receive stuff though, and it all gets forwarded to Account A. Except for some mails my friend sent. So I want to login Account B and change some settings; but I forgot all info about it. When I try to retrieve password (my second email for Account B, is Account A, can you still follow? ;) ) it tells me "I can only retrieve password after 4 days of inactivity."

What's my best step of solving this? Remove Account B from Account A and risk being locked out of B forever, but wait 4 days?

Ya no

Hey gaf,

I just threw a computer together real quick for a project at school, but I'm not getting any video. When I boot up the monitor immediately displays "Monitor is going to sleep." I've tried using to different monitors (both of which I know work), I've tried using VGA cables, DVI cables, tried putting in a new graphics card rather than using the built in video and so far no luck. I've done some googling but haven't found anything particularly helpful yet. I can try putting in another mobo if it comes down to that, but I'd rather try to find another fix.

EDIT: Reseated the ram and that fixed it.
EDIT 2: So the computer will only boot with one stick of ram in the first slot. I've tried several different sticks and different combinations, but it only boots with one stick in the first slot. I thought maybe it was a bad ram slot so I threw in another mobo and am running into the same problem... what am I missing here?

vulva

Here's an odd question.

Does anyone know how to set up an access point to simulate outside traffic? I have plenty of resources available, as well as a few external IPs I can use. Basically I want to set up an access point so I can test things like VPN access to machines within the LAN.

Any ideas where to start with that?

Anybody know how to turn off shuffle in media player classic?

In Media Player Classic Home Cinema?

Open the playlist box (In the menubar, View ---> Playlist), right click in it, and click on shuffle again.

jLZxJJB8UouQO.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hi all -

I just received my brand new Sager NP9150 today (gaming laptop). I FINALLY finished getting all of the drivers updated and the OS installed (took far too long), and I'm discovering a REALLY bizarre issue. In the top left corner of the screen, every ~3 seconds, the little notification keeps popping up with the brightness symbol and the screen brightness changes. I have tried adjusting the brightness via the function keys, thinking that might "un-trigger" the process. Nope. I've tried restarting multiple times with no success either.

A few things I've noticed.

1) It's almost macro-like. If the brightness is at 50% and I manually adjust it to 25%, the screen will go from 50% -> 25% during the interval in which the brightness pop-up displays. It will jump back to 50% and adjust down to 25% every time. This also works upwards.

2) It appears as though the issue is gone at initial boot. I have a custom keyboard LED set. The computer boots with the default blue, and right after it adjusts to my custom setup, it starts the weird brightness issue. I get the impression that whatever is initializing at that point is the problem.

Hopefully someone can help me out! I can get more details if need be.

Hi all -

I just received my brand new Sager NP9150 today (gaming laptop). I FINALLY finished getting all of the drivers updated and the OS installed (took far too long), and I'm discovering a REALLY bizarre issue. In the top left corner of the screen, every ~3 seconds, the little notification keeps popping up with the brightness symbol and the screen brightness changes. I have tried adjusting the brightness via the function keys, thinking that might "un-trigger" the process. Nope. I've tried restarting multiple times with no success either.

A few things I've noticed.

1) It's almost macro-like. If the brightness is at 50% and I manually adjust it to 25%, the screen will go from 50% -> 25% during the interval in which the brightness pop-up displays. It will jump back to 50% and adjust down to 25% every time. This also works upwards.

2) It appears as though the issue is gone at initial boot. I have a custom keyboard LED set. The computer boots with the default blue, and right after it adjusts to my custom setup, it starts the weird brightness issue. I get the impression that whatever is initializing at that point is the problem.

Hopefully someone can help me out! I can get more details if need be.

That could be laptop's "Adaptive Brightness" function kicking in to change your screen's brightness according to your ambient brightness (I.e. environmental brightness). If you want to disable it at a system/OS level, you could just head over to the Services portion of Windows, and disabling the Adaptive Brightness service over there.

(Windows button --> Type in Services at the search bar --> Enter --> Look for Adaptive Brightness, double click on it --> Change startup type to Disabled --> hit apply)

You are using Windows or some variant of it, yes?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That could be laptop's "Adaptive Brightness" function kicking in to change your screen's brightness according to your ambient brightness (I.e. environmental brightness). If you want to disable it at a system/OS level, you could just head over to the Services portion of Windows, and disabling the Adaptive Brightness service over there.

(Windows button --> Type in Services at the search bar --> Enter --> Look for Adaptive Brightness, double click on it --> Change startup type to Disabled --> hit apply)

You are using Windows or some variant of it, yes?

That I am. I'll give that a shot and report back. Thanks!

E: Nope, it was already disabled.

E2: Uh, it stops when I unplug it from the wall. Odd.

That I am. I'll give that a shot and report back. Thanks!

E: Nope, it was already disabled.

E2: Uh, it stops when I unplug it from the wall. Odd.

Interesting. Does the problem also occur if you, say, during boot, head into BIOS/UEFI configuration screen and hang around there for a bit?

(I'm not sure whether modern laptops still use BIOS or have all switched to UEFI like all Mac computers)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Interesting. Does the problem also occur if you, say, during boot, head into BIOS/UEFI configuration screen and hang around there for a bit?

(I'm not sure whether modern laptops still use BIOS or have all switched to UEFI like all Mac computers)

I'll check after I finish installing and updating some stuff.

Bryan1321

Banned
This should be an easy one for GAF

But i found myself stuck with the problem, so quick and clean:

I have a 16G USB Sandisk Cruzer Drive

Worked like a charm in my Windows 7 HP desktop pc, but last week i physically ejected the memory while it was transfarring a file, now ONLY THE HP wont recognize it, Everything else, macs, laptops, others windows 7 pcs, and even the my kenwood stereo works and plays it great.

So what tha hell??? It isnt damaged, in only doesnt work on one pc

Ive already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers,

Any advice on how to get it working again???

Ourobolus

Banned
So I recently discovered that my computer locks up whenever I plug in a USB External HDD. No BSOD, just freezes and I have to hard restart my computer. It's been a long time since I've plugged a HDD into my computer so I don't know how long it's been since whatever happened that caused this happened. The HDDs work on my Blu-ray player (got videos/music on them), so I don't think it's on the HDD.

I'm running W7, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor, 4GB RAM.

I'm running CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and Spybot just in case those resolve my issue though. Any ideas?

kehs

Banned
Looking for a simple free S.M.R.A.T. checker instead of using the mfg's software since I have a bunch of different harddrives.

KlotePino

Hey guys I've had this strange problems for over a year now. It used to be that if I played a fairly GPU/CPU intensive game video and audio would start to stutter a bit and you'd get these skipping sounds. The audio would start to skip and crackle increasingly faster, video would start stuttering more too and after a while the computer would just completely lock up (BSOD or black screen). The strangest thing is that when I would reboot, the rest of the day I would have no problems (once in a blue moon I'd have the PC lock up twice a day but it was rare).

Bought some cooling paste figuring it was my CPU getting too hot ( it was actually getting to around 85C, it used to be 45-50). Around this time (sorry I honestly can't remember if it was exactly when I applied the paste) the problem sort of went away. Now every once in, say 20-30 mins, my computer will start stuttering in waves of 1-2 seconds for about 8-10 seconds. This has started to become a little tedious and I wanna get rid of it. It can't be RAM because I've already replaced that and CPU temperatures seem fine.

I remember googling the symptoms of the problems and I read something about CPU cycles being a potential problem? I've already reset the BIOS to default many times and the problem isn't OS related, happened both in W7/W8.

CPU is an i7 920, overclocking seems to have no impact I've had it overclocked and it seemed to make no difference in frequency
8 Gigs of corsair RAM
AMD HD5870

Birbo

Would this be the best place to ask for suggestions for a new wireless router? The one I currently have has to be pushing 10 years old at this point and think it's having issues keeping up with all our Wi-Fi devices in the house and streaming videos to an Apple TV on the 2nd floor of the house.

Tamanon

Banned
Would this be the best place to ask for suggestions for a new wireless router? The one I currently have has to be pushing 10 years old at this point and think it's having issues keeping up with all our Wi-Fi devices in the house and streaming videos to an Apple TV on the 2nd floor of the house.

I like my Netgear Genie WNDR3400v2. We're in a two story household and upgraded to it last year. Instantly improved all my connections.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, I made a video of my problem.

It only happens when plugged into the batter. I've got auto-adjust turned off, the setting has been adjusted to max performance both on and off battery (to help diagnose this problem).

Here's a video of the machine not plugged in
http://youtu.be/6HOvBD9CK34

Here's a video of the machine plugged in
http://youtu.be/oSbv63Fd_w8

You can see the little auto-adjust box popping up every few seconds in the second video.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? It's starting to mega piss me off.

So i'm building a new PC. I want to move all the stuff from my laptop (OS too?) onto my new PC (a desktop), then reset the laptop to factory defaults so I can sell it. I have an external harddrive that I can use.

What's the best way to do this? I have used system image before when my laptops HDD died and I recovered a system image onto a new HDD. Would that work the same way?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So i'm building a new PC. I want to move all the stuff from my laptop (OS too?) onto my new PC (a desktop), then reset the laptop to factory defaults so I can sell it. I have an external harddrive that I can use.

What's the best way to do this? I have used system image before when my laptops HDD died and I recovered a system image onto a new HDD. Would that work the same way?

What OS do you have now?

A disc image wont work cleanly because it would be different hardware. Your best bet is to clean install OS onto the empty PC, then migrate what you need over in terms of documents and whatnot. Software will need to be re-installed as well.

Give more details and we can help more.

What OS do you have now?

A disc image wont work cleanly because it would be different hardware. Your best bet is to clean install OS onto the empty PC, then migrate what you need over in terms of documents and whatnot. Software will need to be re-installed as well.

Give more details and we can help more.

Windows 7. What would be the easiest way of transferring my programs (games, steam files, software, etc.)? I can't just move my Programs folder over can I? haha

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Pulling my hair out here. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and googling all over the place, but I can't find an answer.

When watching streaming video or playing certain games the sound goes in and out constantly. The video is fine. My connection is fine. It doesn't hit every game (Kingdoms of Amalur is especially troublesome) but Netflix and Twitch it's like listening to a rap record from Wal-Mart. Half the words are missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello! I'm trying to fix a webcam on a laptop for someone...

It's an Acer Aspire 5534 (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit) with an integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam.

The webcam is not appearing on the Device Manager at all. There is not even an "Imaging Device" or "Unknown" section in there, nor any problems found.

I've tried all the drivers off Acer's support page (liteon, Chicony, Suyin) for the camera, and they all give me, "No video capture device was detected on your system.".

The only thing my Google-fu-ing could come up with is that the webcam has probably become disconnected inside the thing.

Would like some feedback if it's not too much to ask, please!

Mew2

Neo Member
Has anyone had difficulties using Exmerge in regards to accessing a Domain Controller?

Ugg trying to delete some emails and keep getting failures. If I do not have access to the DC will this fail out the Exmerge?

Top Bottom