• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Hey guise, my friend's pc power supply burnt out towards the beginning of the week and he took it into a shop or something and had it replaced. Now when he tries to play games they constantly chug, when they didn't before, even with lower settings. His specs are: 750 watt power supply. 7950 ati vid card. I7 920 cpu. 6gb ram. And he had a 750 watt power supply before. Any useful tips would be helpful and thanks in advance!

Could be that the new power supply delivers less than 750W usable.

Robso

I keep getting 'BOOTMGR is missing'. I will sometimes get it when I boot up or my PC will crash during use and once I turn it off I'm greeted with the BOOTMGR message again.

It's easily fixed each time by just going to the Boot Menu and picking which drive Windows is installed on. It's just annoying when I can be half way through doing something.

It's as though my SSD goes to sleep and then I wake it up again when I choose to boot from it in the Bios Menu. Any ideas how I could fix this annoyance once and for all?

Ryder

Hey guys Im having some wireless connection troubles

Basically it cant connect to the internet. It has full bars but with the error sign on it. Heres a picture that it might help.

It has limited access, so troubleshooted it and it comes with the error "Wireless Network Connection" doesnt have a valid ip configuration .

techhelp2.jpg

Wondering what do i have to do to fix it help will be much appreciated.

Where can i find my ip address ?

Persona7

Banned
Hey guys Im having some wireless connection troubles

Basically it cant connect to the internet. It has full bars but with the error sign on it. Heres a picture that it might help.

It has limited access, so troubleshooted it and it comes with the error "Wireless Network Connection" doesnt have a valid ip configuration .

techhelp2.jpg

Wondering what do i have to do to fix it help will be much appreciated.

Where can i find my ip address ?

Open up the command (cmd.exe) and type in "ipconfig/all" without the quotes and hit enter.

do you see "0.0.0.0" at all?

I just fixed an issue like this for a friend, first of all I had to change the network type from "public" to "home", then I had to disable the network device and then enable it and then run the command "ROUTE DELETE 0.0.0.0".

You should also check and see if your wireless device has a driver update.

Ryder

Open up the command (cmd.exe) and type in "ipconfig/all" without the quotes and hit enter.

do you see "0.0.0.0" at all?

I just fixed an issue like this for a friend, first of all I had to change the network type from "public" to "home", then I had to disable the network device and then enable it and then run the command "ROUTE DELETE 0.0.0.0".

You should also check and see if your wireless device has a driver update.

cool, thanks

will check it out.

Angry Fork

Having a problem with all my games, I've googled to hell and back but still don't know what the proper cause is or how to troubleshoot this.

Most if not all games, especially newer ones have these little stuttering hiccups that happen continuously, as if the game cannot load something quick enough. But it has nothing to do with low framerate because the framerate can be 60fps and it still happens. It seems like a CPU issue because whether the visuals are all at the lowest setting or highest it happens for both.

It seems like to me the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU, but I don't know how or why, or if my CPU is starting to fail. I don't know if I need a new CPU or if I can try out some different GPU settings to help alleviate the stuttering? Although I've tried some stuff in ATI catalyst.

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
AMD Phantom 2 quad core 955, 3.2ghz
Radeon HD 6870 2gb
8gb ddr3 ram

However I've also read this is a common problem with Radeon HD 6870/6890 cards, anyone know if this is the case?

The Saboteur and Metro 2033 were the worst offenders, they're virtually unplayable. When you're driving in Saboteur it's like the world cannot load something in the game quick enough and there are times where the floor/street is missing, the game stops to load it and then continues with stuttering. Metro 2033 has tons of it too.

I get 60fps though or higher, it's not a matter of low fps in the traditional sense it's something else, system requirements says I pass recommended requirements of Metro easily so I'm sure I can for Saboteur as well.

My GPU drivers and win 7 are all updated to most recent as well, anything else I can try to figure out what's wrong and fix it? Thanks.

I usually manage to fix my problems, a little bit of Google a little bit of experimenting, but I'm stumped this time.

I have a creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (PCI) and windows 7 (last updates installed) and the following has now happened twice (currently have the problem).

I turn the PC off for the night and when I boot it up again the Creative card is recognized, but I can only see the SPDIF OUT option (next image) and windows throws all the audio stuff onto the Sennheiser headphones.

Last time this happened (half a year ago) I attributed it to a windows update as it coincided, but this time there was no update and it happened the same. I really don't know how I fixed it the 1st time, I installed and reinstalled the drivers at least 10 times with a couple of driver cleaner applications in the middle. It finally came back but I couldn't relate cause and effect and I would not like to go through the same hellish experience again.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

hi all,

hoping for some input on some SSD issues i've been having

install SSD as the main/only drive for a system, everything works smoothly for a month or two, but eventually the drive will just stop working, can no longer see any data on the disk, end up having to reinstall windows and start again - currently one of them is not even being detected in bios at all

at first I figured it was just a bad SSD, but it has happened across three different SSD's, and across two computers, the only link between the two i can tell is they're both Asrock mobo running off the on-board SATA.., z75 pro3, z77 pro3

anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue? :(

OK NeoGAF. You are my only hope on this one.

I recently got a new Graphics Card to do a bit of upgrading on a Medion PC I got during the summer. a Radeon HD 7870 Powercolor 2GB GHz Edition. I found out that it wouldn't play ball with my hilariously underpowered PSU. So I got a new PSU, an Antec Earthwatts 650W. Now I installed all that, and everything seemed fine. So I tried it out on a few games and the card would always cut out at random. Looking at CPU-Z and core temp. The Processor was running a bit hot, so I replaced the heatsink, thinking that was the issue, and it wasn't (Though I did find out the heatsink medion supplied was garbage and the processor was overheating so got that out of the way). My event viewer is just showing some Kernel 41 errors but no driver indicating what it is.

Thing is, on 2D games like Mark Of The Ninja, it never shuts off. Neither does running 1080P video. Anything with 3D Acceleration just goes kaput. And sometimes it doesn't. I ran Sonic and All-Stars Racing transformed for an hour once before it decided it had enough. It's all new parts as well. So I can't understand why it's suddenly just going when it works perfect otherwise. Any suggestions Tech GAF? I'm stumped and PowerColor support was just leading me around in circles.

Jzero

OK NeoGAF. You are my only hope on this one.

I recently got a new Graphics Card to do a bit of upgrading on a Medion PC I got during the summer. a Radeon HD 7870 Powercolor 2GB GHz Edition. I found out that it wouldn't play ball with my hilariously underpowered PSU. So I got a new PSU, an Antec Earthwatts 650W. Now I installed all that, and everything seemed fine. So I tried it out on a few games and the card would always cut out at random. Looking at CPU-Z and core temp. The Processor was running a bit hot, so I replaced the heatsink, thinking that was the issue, and it wasn't (Though I did find out the heatsink medion supplied was garbage and the processor was overheating so got that out of the way). My event viewer is just showing some Kernel 41 errors but no driver indicating what it is.

Thing is, on 2D games like Mark Of The Ninja, it never shuts off. Neither does running 1080P video. Anything with 3D Acceleration just goes kaput. And sometimes it doesn't. I ran Sonic and All-Stars Racing transformed for an hour once before it decided it had enough. It's all new parts as well. So I can't understand why it's suddenly just going when it works perfect otherwise. Any suggestions Tech GAF? I'm stumped and PowerColor support was just leading me around in circles.
This is probably not it but you installed the latest driver right?

knitoe

I usually manage to fix my problems, a little bit of Google a little bit of experimenting, but I'm stumped this time.

I have a creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (PCI) and windows 7 (last updates installed) and the following has now happened twice (currently have the problem).

I turn the PC off for the night and when I boot it up again the Creative card is recognized, but I can only see the SPDIF OUT option (next image) and windows throws all the audio stuff onto the Sennheiser headphones.

Last time this happened (half a year ago) I attributed it to a windows update as it coincided, but this time there was no update and it happened the same. I really don't know how I fixed it the 1st time, I installed and reinstalled the drivers at least 10 times with a couple of driver cleaner applications in the middle. It finally came back but I couldn't relate cause and effect and I would not like to go through the same hellish experience again.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Don't know if it's related, but I am using a X-FI Fatality and once in awhile it would disappear needing to reinstall drivers. Found out it was due to Creative console control app. To be safe, I just install the card driver and nothing else. Haven't had the card disappear issue after that.

hi all,

hoping for some input on some SSD issues i've been having

install SSD as the main/only drive for a system, everything works smoothly for a month or two, but eventually the drive will just stop working, can no longer see any data on the disk, end up having to reinstall windows and start again - currently one of them is not even being detected in bios at all

at first I figured it was just a bad SSD, but it has happened across three different SSD's, and across two computers, the only link between the two i can tell is they're both Asrock mobo running off the on-board SATA.., z75 pro3, z77 pro3

anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue? :(

What SSD? Usually, you can't see the drive in the bios, there's something wrong with the device.

What SSD? Usually, you can't see the drive in the bios, there's something wrong with the device.

they all seem to start their doom the same, they go unreadable/unbootable a few times.. have to reinstall.. then completely just undetectable

G.SKILL Phoenix III FM-25S3-120GBP3 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal 7mm Solid State Drive (SSD) - currently semi alive, but seems to be going soon

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - completely unreadable in bios currently

ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - also completely unreadable currently

knitoe

they all seem to start their doom the same, they go unreadable/unbootable a few times.. have to reinstall.. then completely just undetectable

G.SKILL Phoenix III FM-25S3-120GBP3 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal 7mm Solid State Drive (SSD) - currently semi alive, but seems to be going soon

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - completely unreadable in bios currently

ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - also completely unreadable currently

All of them uses sandforce controllers. They are known to have terrible reliability. Personally, I don't have issues with my 3, but maybe, you even it out with your bad luck. Stay away from them and stick with Samsung 830 / 840 pro or Crucail M4.

This is probably not it but you installed the latest driver right?

Correct. Latest AMD Catalyst Drivers installed and it's still doing it. I can't think it's a part fault since I probably would be getting issues on videos, 2D Games and general faults never mind 3D games so I'm not sure. Driver conflict?

knitoe

Correct. Latest AMD Catalyst Drivers installed and it's still doing it. I can't think it's a part fault since I probably would be getting issues on videos, 2D Games and general faults never mind 3D games so I'm not sure. Driver conflict?

3D games are way more demanding then 2D and watching videos. Could be PSU or bad video card. Although still could be PSU power issue, more likely it's a bad video card.

3D games are way more demanding then 2D and watching videos. Could be PSU or bad video card. Although still could be PSU power issue, more likely it's a bad video card.

I somewhat highly doubt it's the PSU since it's a brand new antec earthwatts (The one everyone recommends for reliability and being good) so yeah, probably the card. I'm going to yell at Powercolor a bit again and see where it goes. Hopefully will get something out of it since it's 2 months since I bought the card and it's irritating as hell because otherwise, it works well enough.

Omni

Whenever McAfee scans my computer, the whole thing slows to a halt. I can't even browse this forum while a scan is in progress... Hell, writing in notepad is rather hard to do. Computer gets so slow that the scan usually freezes and I can't do anything to stop it. Task Manager takes like 10+ minutes to open up.

My specs are:

Dell Inspiron 2nd Gen
Windows 8 Pro
i7-2670QM CPU @2.20GHz 2.20GHz with Intel Turbo Boost @3.1GHz
6GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
500GB HDD

Anyone know what's up with that? Would it be my system? It's only when McAfee scans. On my old less powerful laptop scanning was fine, so I dunno.

Whenever McAfee scans my computer, the whole thing slows to a halt. I can't even browse this forum while a scan is in progress... Hell, writing in notepad is rather hard to do. Computer gets so slow that the scan usually freezes and I can't do anything to stop it. Task Manager takes like 10+ minutes to open up.

My specs are:

Dell Inspiron 2nd Gen
Windows 8 Pro
i7-2670QM CPU @2.20GHz 2.20GHz with Intel Turbo Boost @3.1GHz
6GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
500GB HDD

Anyone know what's up with that? Would it be my system? It's only when McAfee scans. On my old less powerful laptop scanning was fine, so I dunno.

There's your problem right there. McAfee is a parasite that does more harm than good to your system's performance. Switch to Microsoft's own Security Essentials (MSE) for a much more lightweight, free and reliable solution coupled with an anti malware solution like Malwarebyte's Anti Malware free software.

If you insist on sticking with the McAfee, I've got to ask, does the problem only occur during manually started scans or scheduled scans or quick scans? You could just be suffering the classic hard disk chugging problem that brings your computer to a standstill as McAfee is reading/scanning many of your files at once and spinner drivers like your 500GB HDD have very poor random read performance unlike SSDs.

EDIT:- I just noticed that you're using Windows 8 on the afflicted laptop, which means that MSE is already bundled together by default. In that case, get rid of that performance hog known as McAfee (remembering to use their removal tool), revert back to Windows 8's own MSE and watch your laptop fly again as it should.

Don't know if it's related, but I am using a X-FI Fatality and once in awhile it would disappear needing to reinstall drivers. Found out it was due to Creative console control app. To be safe, I just install the card driver and nothing else. Haven't had the card disappear issue after that.

Thanks for the heads up! I managed to make it work again. Again, a simple reinstall of the drivers is not enough.

Next time it happens I'm gonna check what you said!

ucdawg12

question, not totally on topic but do you guys recommend any reliable services to make an rss feed out of a non-rss web page? i was using page2rss but it crapped out on me and never checked once after i created my recent feed which cost me tickets to a show next month :x

was looking at feed43 but they only update once every 6 hours, not sure if there is a better one out there. rssspect claims 1-4 but if a page doesnt update frequently they check less often and this page i know will only update once a month so it won't be quick enough.

linkboy

I've got two questions that I was wondering if anyone could help me with.

The first,

Last year, I bought this Blu-Ray drive for a Toshiba laptop that my wife bought me for my deployment. I'm home now and I'm going to setup that laptop to give to my stepdaughter since I have my MacBook Pro back (wife didn't want me taking that to Afghanistan). Anyways, I'm going to keep the Blu-Ray drive and I'm basically looking for a USB enclosure that will allow me to use the drive as a USB drive. My DVD drive on my MBP is pretty much dead and I don't feel like taking the laptop apart to replace it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good USB enclosure that would be compatible with the drive.

Next up is an issue with my wife's desktop (running Windows 7 Pro). She was playing Star Wars: Galaxies and the game crashed and now anytime she restarts her computer, she gets an input not supported error. To fix it, she has to boot up into Safe Mode, uninstall the video card drivers and then restart the computer. She's running a Gforce 9500 GT. I was deployed when it happend so I didn't see what caused it, but I've stumped as to how to fix it. I just checked device manager and it says the computer needs to be restarted to setup the card, but a reset will just cause the Input not supported error again.

Jzero

I've got two questions that I was wondering if anyone could help me with.

The first,

Last year, I bought this Blu-Ray drive for a Toshiba laptop that my wife bought me for my deployment. I'm home now and I'm going to setup that laptop to give to my stepdaughter since I have my MacBook Pro back (wife didn't want me taking that to Afghanistan). Anyways, I'm going to keep the Blu-Ray drive and I'm basically looking for a USB enclosure that will allow me to use the drive as a USB drive. My DVD drive on my MBP is pretty much dead and I don't feel like taking the laptop apart to replace it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good USB enclosure that would be compatible with the drive.
There's not much to choose from to be honest. This is the only one with good reviews that i could find.

tl;dr: I'm tech-ignorant and I'm installing my old SATA laptop hdd into a hand-me-down desktop, and I'm having trouble finding one of the three cables. I can't seem to find one that fits the tiny, four-pronged connection on the HDD.

Assuming that the only thing that was removed from the desktop was the original HDD, should the wire I'm looking for be in there, or is it possible that I need an adapter for just this one connection?

I realize this might be impossible to answer with the given information, but I thought I'd give it a shot before I go buying random things.

Jzero

tl;dr: I'm tech-ignorant and I'm installing my old SATA laptop hdd into a hand-me-down desktop, and I'm having trouble finding one of the three cables. I can't seem to find one that fits the tiny, four-pronged connection on the HDD.

Assuming that the only thing that was removed from the desktop was the original HDD, should the wire I'm looking for be in there, or is it possible that I need an adapter for just this one connection?

I realize this might be impossible to answer with the given information, but I thought I'd give it a shot before I go buying random things.
You don't need that connection, all you need for the drive to work is the Power and Data SATA cable.
The pins you are talking about are for jumper settings

Nevasleep

You should only need two cables for a SATA hard drive. One is for power, other is for data.
sata15pin.jpg
SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg

You don't need that connection, all you need for the drive to work is the Power and Data SATA cable.

You should only need two cables for a SATA hard drive. One is for power, other is for data.
http://eshop.macsales.com/images/Items/sata/sata15pin.jpg[IMG][IMG]http://www.sierra-cables.com/Cables/Images/SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
wut. The HDD is a WD2500BEKT which google claims is a SATA, but there's definitely a tiny four pronged thingy in addition to the main two. What's it for?

Joe

I need to re-install Windows 7 on a laptop with no dvd drive or USB drives available.

Can I just mount the ISO to a virtual drive and simply re-install that way?

e: I have a 4GB SD card so I'm going to make a bootable drive that way. I just hope my BIOS has the option to make the card reader bootable.

Joe

1) my laptop's bios does not allow booting from sd card (only hard drive and network)

2) i managed to re-install windows 7 by just mounting the iso but it seemed to do a poor job

it doesn't feel like a fresh install at all, there is no snappiness - it's just the same as before.

i don't think the hard drive was ever formatted, it just took the old installation and moved it to 'windows.old'.

can anyone point me to a guide that will help me format and re-install windows 7 without a dvd drive, external hard drive, usb drive, or sd card?

Hey tech support gaf.

Disclaimer: I'm a noob when it comes to all this, but bear with me.

I recently bought my first gaming PC and have in it an ASUS HD 7970 Direct CU II.

So the card has 6 outputs (four DP ports and two DVI-I connectors). After blowing all my budget on my PC, I haven't had the cash on hand to buy new monitors and so am still rocking my 2 Samsung SyncMaster 940n's with VGA output only. I've also bought 2 DVI-I dual link to VGA adapters, but after connecting everything up, my computer will no detect the second monitor! (rage)

I've switched the adapters around back and forth and their working, so it's not faulty hardware from them. The monitors connect to my old computer fine as well.

Please help :(

Jzero

Hey tech support gaf.

Disclaimer: I'm a noob when it comes to all this, but bear with me.

I recently bought my first gaming PC and have in it an ASUS HD 7970 Direct CU II.

So the card has 6 outputs (four DP ports and two DVI-I connectors). After blowing all my budget on my PC, I haven't had the cash on hand to buy new monitors and so am still rocking my 2 Samsung SyncMaster 940n's with VGA output only. I've also bought 2 DVI-I dual link to VGA adapters, but after connecting everything up, my computer will no detect the second monitor! (rage)

I've switched the adapters around back and forth and their working, so it's not faulty hardware from them. The monitors connect to my old computer fine as well.

Please help :(
Right click the desktop and click "resolution" and see if it's detecting both monitors.
Then check that it says "Extend these displays" under "Multiple displays"

Right click the desktop and click "resolution" and see if it's detecting both monitors.
Then check that it says "Extend these displays" under "Multiple displays"

That's the thing, when I click Detect, nothing comes up.

Edit -

Looks like I have the exact same issue as this guy. When I tried putting a DVI - HDMI adapter into the second port, my TV was detected and displayed fine. For some reason it just doesn't work for a VGA device, despite that adapter working fine after testing in a separate port. Very strange. I guess I'll have to wait it out on single screen until I buy a HDMI connected monitor. Sigh.

Alright so, built my own PC. i5 3570k + MSI 2GB 7850 + 8GB DDR3 ram, all that jazz. Everything has been running smoothly, but over the past 3 weeks my PC has frozen about 5 times. I have to restart my computer by holding down the power button on the front like I know you aren't supposed to do ha.

Two times, it has been just when I click on a button in chrome. Once i clicked the inbox button on my email, froze. Can't remember what the other one was.

Once I was watching a youtube video and it froze. (Screen turned pinkish which I believe is a graphics card related thing?)

Two other times I have left my computer for a bit, maybe 30 minutes, come back, and it is frozen.

It has never happened when running a game.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Windows 7 OS btw

mxgt

Banned
Alright so, built my own PC. i5 3570k + MSI 2GB 7850 + 8GB DDR3 ram, all that jazz. Everything has been running smoothly, but over the past 3 weeks my PC has frozen about 5 times. I have to restart my computer by holding down the power button on the front like I know you aren't supposed to do ha.

Two times, it has been just when I click on a button in chrome. Once i clicked the inbox button on my email, froze. Can't remember what the other one was.

Once I was watching a youtube video and it froze. (Screen turned pinkish which I believe is a graphics card related thing?)

Two other times I have left my computer for a bit, maybe 30 minutes, come back, and it is frozen.

It has never happened when running a game.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Windows 7 OS btw

Try ruling out software and hardware the best you can.

Try Clean booting by disabling non Microsoft services and all start up items in msconfig and see if it still happens. If it doesn't then use process of elimination to see what is causing it.

Also try looking at event viewer after it happens, maybe it'll show what's going on.

Try ruling out software and hardware the best you can.

Try Clean booting by disabling non Microsoft services and all start up items in msconfig and see if it still happens. If it doesn't then use process of elimination to see what is causing it.

Also try looking at event viewer after it happens, maybe it'll show what's going on.

Alright I'll try to see if it's a program causing it. If I had to guess, I'd say this Virtu MVP control panel guy might be a suspect. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have a issue with my notebook display. There is a about 4x4 pixel area on my screen with a grey tint. It is only visible if I directly look at the screen from the side or from above it is not visible. Does this look like a stuck/dead pixel or some different error (dirt behind the secreen)?

Furthermore does anyone know if such problems are covered by warranty? In my case it is a Thinkpad with 1 year warranty left and additional Thinkpad Protection. I will call the hotline as soon as I get some more information to "argue" with them. Here the Lenovo hotline is rather hard to understand for me and vice versa - so I want to be prepared.

Kind regards

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I have a RAID 1+0 array (using Intel Matrix Storage Manager). Two drives (not in the same pair) have failed. Can I replace the drives at the same time to rebuild the array, or should I replace one drive, let the data copy over and then replace the other one and let the data copy over?

AColdDay

Alright, so I just upgraded my Radeon HD 5770 to a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC but I'm having a problem. The video card needs two 8-pin connections. The box came with two 4-pin Molex to 8 pin adapters, but each 8-pin adapter requires two Molex connectors, so I would need four altogether. I don't have 4 spare 4 pin Molex connectors from my PSU!

So what i did is hook up the three spare Molex connectors to the adapters and the PC boots fine and I can play Skyrim with ENB and it is beautiful. However, after a few minutes of playing a game my entire computer shuts down and restarts. I know that this is a problem with the power situation, but I don't know what I need to do to resolve it. Would a Molex Y-Splitter work in getting me the extra Molex connection I need, or do I need to get a whole new PSU?

My current PSU is 500W, and that is what Sapphire says is the minimum for my new video card.

Ya no

Hey GAF, I'm having trouble with a video card. I'm just trying to get a computer with pretty old parts running. I have a A740G M2+ motherboard and a geforce 7950 GX2 video card. In my device manager, it shows up and says it's running properly, however if I run CPU Z, it just shows up as Graphic Device. If I plug in to the motherboard onboard video I seem to be getting better performance and I'm not sure why. Pretty sure I have the most up to date drivers and I even just updated the bios of the board. I'm running XP x64.

I know that this is a problem with the power situation, but I don't know what I need to do to resolve it. Would a Molex Y-Splitter work in getting me the extra Molex connection I need, or do I need to get a whole new PSU?

My current PSU is 500W, and that is what Sapphire says is the minimum for my new video card.

That's your best bet. Running a 7970 (OCed no less!) on a 500W PSU is just crazy lol, unless the PSU happens to be a Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU with excellent efficiency like a Corsair/Silverstone/ or Seasonic branded one. Even then, you'd want some extra legroom so a 600W PSU would be better for some leeway/droop in the future.

Don't expect to be able to use an OCed 7970 with a brand X no name 500W PSU without some serious issues; even If they don't pop up now, you could be seriously damaging both your card and your system in the long run with an underpowered PSU.

Something like this would be perfect for your system:-

Seasonic Platinum-660 660W Power Supply

AColdDay

That's your best bet. Running a 7970 (OCed no less!) on a 500W PSU is just crazy lol, unless the PSU happens to be a Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU with excellent efficiency like a Corsair/Silverstone/ or Seasonic branded one. Even then, you'd want some extra legroom so a 600W PSU would be better for some leeway/droop in the future.

Don't expect to be able to use an OCed 7970 with a brand X no name 500W PSU without some serious issues; even If they don't pop up now, you could be seriously damaging both your card and your system in the long run with an underpowered PSU.

Something like this would be perfect for your system:-

Seasonic Platinum-660 660W Power Supply

I ended up buying this PSU from Amazon (I have Amazon Prime).

It's a Corsair CX 600, so hopefully when that comes in next week, I will switch out the power supply with the Corsair. My current PSU doesn't have native 8 pin connectors and this one does, so by switching I won't even have to worry about having enough 4-pin connections to plug into the adapters.

I guess I will be putting the 5770 back in until my new PSU arrives :p

I'm not sure where to go for this, but this was the first place I thought of.

Origin issue: installs, but then completely locks up when it goes to update. Then when I try to run it (whether it be normally or "as administrator," I get this piece of shit in my face:

It's the only program I've experienced this with. It's really frustrating.

Update: I transplanted the hdd seemingly successfully, but when I start it up it goes like this:
1. Blue screen with the motherboard, ASUS, intel, and all that jazz on it
2. Black screen with something about Marvell adapter and bios version, not an error message or anything
3. Flashes back to the first screen
3. Windows failed to start properly blahblahblah, insert your Windows installation disc or start normally/safe mode/etc
4. Flashes to that black Windows startup screen with just the loading bar and ©Microsoft Corporation
5. Flashes to what looks like a Blue Screen of Death
6. Automatically goes back to step 1

What do? I tried sticking my recovery disk in, but that didn't change anything.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Really simple question here, i got gifted bf3 premium and all these DLCs have to be downloaded

Which is quicker?

A: Downloading all of them at the same time

or

B: 2 at the same time...

C:One after the other

Im doing it 2 at a time atm but is there a clear option to which you should do

Right now one is downloading at 2.5MB/sec whilst the other at 1.2MB/sec

Mangotron

Really simple question here, i got gifted bf3 premium and all these DLCs have to be downloaded

Which is quicker?

A: Downloading all of them at the same time

or

B: 2 at the same time...

C:One after the other

Im doing it 2 at a time atm but is there a clear option to which you should do

Right now one is downloading at 2.5MB/sec whilst the other at 1.2MB/sec

It should technically be the fastest to download all of them at the same time, it will just divide your bandwith over all the downloads. The only exception to this is if you wanted to quickly download one and just play it (which I'm not sure BF3 lets you do).

Derrick01

Banned
Is it normal for your IP address to change randomly? I was looking at my recent activity on gmail and sometime in the last month or two my IP address changed. Same on my dad's PC.

Top Bottom