• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Thanks ill give it a try. If I'm connecting to the 2nd router is it going to still have its own separate login and give the devices IPs automatically?

Do you mean wireless login information or to access the router setup? You can still access its setup page at the new IP that you change it to (http://192.168.0.5 in the last example.) If you mean for wireless connections, it depends how you set it up on the second router. I think you can use the same SSID, encryption type and password so that you don't have to set up another connection on your devices - they should automatically use the connection with the best signal.

As for giving the devices IPs automatically, the DHCP server is responsible for that. Your main router will continue to assign IP addresses to devices connected to your second router which is why you want to disable the DHCP server on the second router so that it doesn't interfere with the main router's DHCP server.

I connected my PC to the 2nd router and logged in and turned off dhcp and then changed the IP to 192.168.0.1 (the main one is 192.168.1.1) but after the changes take effect I am no longer able to log into the router using the new IP or the old IP, just says address could not be resolved or something like that. Any suggestions?

Hi GAF

I need some help with my laptop, which I bought about 18 months ago. Last summer it broke down due to a faulty hard drive, I had a warranty and sent it back where I got it from where they changed the HD and sent t back.

Ever since I received it, it won't go to sleep when I set t to sleep (the screen goes black but the keyboard stays lit up and the PC is effectively dead, I have to keep the power button pressed for it to turn off and then reboot it) and it won't keep my power options saved (I set battery options, it saves them for a few days, and after say 4 or 5 it reverts to its default settings).

Although it was a nuisance, I didn't mind until yesterday, when I turned it on and suddenly most programs I had installed did not appear in the install/uninstall list. The real problem started when I tried to launch a Word document and it just wouldn't, the application crashed. I quickly found out this extended to all MS Office applications and after rebooting the computer, every Office application does not launch and tries to start a repair function or something, without result. I also can't uninstall Office as the programs do not appear in the installed programs list.

I tried messing with CCleaner and other software yesterday, but to no avail. I called the place where I got the laptop from and they told me to run a diagnostic tool to see if the new HD is faulty as well, and if it is, to send it back so they can replace it (I don't have a warranty anymore).

Is there any chance something else is faulty for it not to save my settings and not going to sleep (there is a weird purring sound coming from the HD whenever the computer boots or fails to go to sleep)? What else should I do apart from running that diagnostic tool (which one is better)?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Dumb ass question here.

The cable line for tv/internet comes into my new house in 2 places.

One (where I need to keep the wifi router to not fuck up coverage) is in the living room where a splitter connects the cable box and wifi router.

The second is upstairs in what I want to turn into my office where I want a wired connection for my desktop PC. Can I just run that cable line into a modem and then ethernet directly into my PC upstairs?

Guys, another dumb question. At my workplace, there's a program that runs on Java Script and it freezes a lot. I know for the fact the PCs fucking suck. It can't run Youtube 1080p smoothly. I've talked to my boss and we're considering buy a new PC, but I want to know if the Java Script program can be solved with a decent video card, or a decent CPU. If it's a video card, that saves even more money. If its CPU, might as well buy a new one.

Ashhong

Dumb ass question here.

The cable line for tv/internet comes into my new house in 2 places.

One (where I need to keep the wifi router to not fuck up coverage) is in the living room where a splitter connects the cable box and wifi router.

The second is upstairs in what I want to turn into my office where I want a wired connection for my desktop PC. Can I just run that cable line into a modem and then ethernet directly into my PC upstairs?

No, you need to pay extra if you want to have 2 modems hooked up

I have several external USB hard drives I use for either backup or storage, and I have problems Safely Ejecting them after I'm done using them. I almost always get a message saying "a program is still using it."--unfortunately, this error message isn't useful enough to tell me exactly what program that might be, and even after closing every program that I think could possibly be accessing the drive, I still get it. So is there any to find out exactly what program is stopping Windows from ejecting an external hard drive? I know that most of the time it's probably safe to just unplug it anyway as long as I'm not writing to it, but I'd rather not take any chances.

Can anyone tell me if this SSD will happily go into this Dell?

According to the service manual, your machine has 4 SATA ports. It doesn't mention the speeds of the ports, but the SSD should be backwards compatible with slower SATA 150 speeds (the drive itself is a SATA II device). I'd assume that since it is a Pentium 4 era machine, it'd have the much slower SATA 150 interface.

You should be good to go. Just make sure you have a spare SATA cable for the new drive and the space to go with it in the enclosure..

Also, kudos on managing to keep a P4 machine alive for so long lol.

Taffer

According to the service manual, your machine has 4 SATA ports. It doesn't mention the speeds of the ports, but the SSD should be backwards compatible with slower SATA 150 speeds (the drive itself is a SATA II device). I'd assume that since it is a Pentium 4 era machine, it'd have the much slower SATA 150 interface.

You should be good to go. Just make sure you have a spare SATA cable for the new drive and the space to go with it in the enclosure..

Also, kudos on managing to keep a P4 machine alive for so long lol.

Cheers buddy, worked out fine. I think that it's now as full of cheap upgrades as it can be, I need to start saving seriously for a slightly more modern machine.

Tamanon

Banned
Wait really? So I'll have to run an ethernet cable upstairs even though I have the cable coming in up there as well?

FUUUuuuuuck me.

Alternatively, if you want the wired connection upstairs and the rest of the house wireless, just move your router upstairs. Might just need to buy a splitter.

Robso

Apologies for the shit quality pictures, had to use a phone due to no batteries for the digital camera. Anywho...

Are the below pictures a sign that the panel is done in? Turned the TV on today, first time in a few days (not main TV) and it had a pink bar across the top and now its gone green. :|

At one stage it was also multi coloured. Picture a rainbow.

I'm unsure how you put pictures in a post that are too large, and so you quote it and it makes it smaller (if that makes sense).

So here's the links:

http://i.imgur.com/Z0db269.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uK2JBIe.jpg

http://imgur.com/Zc61owx

Askani

cAm4a0N.jpg

This is almost assuredly my video card being dead...yes? Just want to make sure it couldn't possibly be something else. It's an older card, an EVGA 8800GTS. NVIDIA Control Panel says there's no NVIDIA device attached. I tried blowing out dust and reseating the card to no avail. Worked fine for about 1 minute but then got the dots again and it rebooted to this mess. I'm guessing a heat issue and it's blown. I even see artifacting on the BIOS screen. I can go out and buy a new card tomorrow but I don't want it to actually be a MoBo issue and have it not fix my problem. I don't have an SLI Terminator to try the card in the lower slot.

Friggz

My wife purchased a EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SUPERCLOCKED for my for my birthday, and upon installing the card, i have been having issues getting the surround sound option to work, id like to be able to game across 2 monitors and from my research I should be able to do so.

Untitled_zps4ca608a2.jpg

This is where I think the option should be enabled. does anyone know what im doing wrong? Any help would be awesome!

Wait really? So I'll have to run an ethernet cable upstairs even though I have the cable coming in up there as well?

FUUUuuuuuck me.

Ethernet over AC my brotha.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-XE102-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00008I9KJ

So you plug one in next to your router and attach ethernet cable then run another ethernet cable from 2nd adapter up in your office into your computer.

There is a loss of speed but from my experience it wasn't enough to make a noticeable difference, although that also depends on what speed service you have.

I'm not saying you should get that specific one though; there are cheaper ones.

BIGWORM

This is almost assuredly my video card being dead...yes? Just want to make sure it couldn't possibly be something else. It's an older card, an EVGA 8800GTS. NVIDIA Control Panel says there's no NVIDIA device attached. I tried blowing out dust and reseating the card to no avail. Worked fine for about 1 minute but then got the dots again and it rebooted to this mess. I'm guessing a heat issue and it's blown. I even see artifacting on the BIOS screen. I can go out and buy a new card tomorrow but I don't want it to actually be a MoBo issue and have it not fix my problem. I don't have an SLI Terminator to try the card in the lower slot.

Tell-tale signs of fried VRAM. Deduce which card is causing the artifacts, and RMA.

Askani

Tell-tale signs of fried VRAM. Deduce which card is causing the artifacts, and RMA.

Only one card. I was only going to try the lower slot to see if it was a MoBo problem. I'm like 95% sure it's the card but I was just checking what I could, if I could.

Savage

Neo Member
Any ideas on a good wireless router? I don't know shit about computers, so something simple to set up is necessary, but also some strong enough for gaming and other devices. I'd like to spend less than 200 dollars.

Thoughts?

Ashhong

Holy shit 200$ lol. The only one I ever hear about is the Linksys WRT-54G but you probably want something with N if you want something strong. Should not go anywhere near 200$ I don't think..

Tamanon

Banned
I've been perfectly happy with my WNDR3400v2. 2-floor house, 802.11n support, and good connection. Really the wireless is barely noticeable compared to the wired.

Seronei

Having a problem with my PC crashing, no bluescreen or anything it just freezes on the same image. Running resource intensive programs/games seems to reduce the chance of a crash but eventually it'll crash anyway.
I've had this problem since I bought my PC but due to laziness and it almost never happening if I just have minecraft running in the background has made me not bother troubleshoting it too much, outside of googling around and I haven't seen anyone with the same identical problem as me. :/

Hardware is an Sapphire 6950, i5 2500k at default hz, 8gb ram and a msi P67-G55.

Yasae

Banned
Having a problem with my PC crashing, no bluescreen or anything it just freezes on the same image. Running resource intensive programs/games seems to reduce the chance of a crash but eventually it'll crash anyway.
I've had this problem since I bought my PC but due to laziness and it almost never happening if I just have minecraft running in the background has made me not bother troubleshoting it too much, outside of googling around and I haven't seen anyone with the same identical problem as me. :/

Hardware is an Sapphire 6950, i5 2500k at default hz, 8gb ram and a msi P67-G55.
Don't worry, we won't ask you what the image is.

Infinite

Probably already asked and answered but this is a big thread so with the Roku can I watch local broadcast stations with it? If not what similar product can do that

Ya no

Hey GAF, I have an old computer that I'm looking to upgrade the RAM for, but I'm having some trouble finding RAM that I'm positive will work with the mobo. It's a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop and some markings on the board are E210882 and Rev. A01. There's one stick of RAM in it now, 256MB 1Rx8 PC2-3200U-333-10-A1. I've tried googling different combinations of things, but still am a little confused. What's the fastest RAM I could put in this machine?

verdures

Guys, another dumb question. At my workplace, there's a program that runs on Java Script and it freezes a lot. I know for the fact the PCs fucking suck. It can't run Youtube 1080p smoothly. I've talked to my boss and we're considering buy a new PC, but I want to know if the Java Script program can be solved with a decent video card, or a decent CPU. If it's a video card, that saves even more money. If its CPU, might as well buy a new one.
You probably need a new computer. A new GPU isn't going to help unless the javascript application is using HTML5 canvas or javascript plugins/APIs like O3D or WebGL. A newer processor will bring very noticeable gains and might help the whatever's causing it to freeze up.

Hey GAF, I have an old computer that I'm looking to upgrade the RAM for, but I'm having some trouble finding RAM that I'm positive will work with the mobo. It's a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop and some markings on the board are E210882 and Rev. A01. There's one stick of RAM in it now, 256MB 1Rx8 PC2-3200U-333-10-A1. I've tried googling different combinations of things, but still am a little confused. What's the fastest RAM I could put in this machine?

256MB 1Rx8 PC2-3200U-333-10-A1

PC2-3200U (also known as DDR2-400) indicates that the stick is most definitely DDR2 SDRAM running at at a 200 Mhz base memory clock (400 Mhz effective) for a total peak transfer rate of 3200 MB/s.

It'd be helpful if you could provide us the CPU model as well, just to be sure. I suspect you have a Pentium IV era machine using a socket LGA 775/478 machine. You could always use CPUz on the computer to help with the identification.

CPUz

Ryder

Hey guys,

My desktop PC wont connect to the internet. I am a complete noob in networking and i was wondering if anyone has had any similar issues with my problem.

I connect to the internet than it says "limited Access" even though i have other devices connected to my router and it is working perfectly fine.

so i did a troubleshoot and it comes up with the problem "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 7 adapter".

I have tried googling the solution but it is too complicated for me trying to figure it out.

Be much appreciated for any help and happy to answer any questions.

Karak

So weird issue here with Windows 7.
All webcams, regardless of manufacturer refuse to work on the system. Regardless of USB port. Changed all the bios settings back and forth, legacy USB settings and so forth. Reinstalled the MB drivers, scanned the disks for windows file errors. Regardless audio only and for example if I have my webcam plugged in and open a program that uses webcams it either crashes instantly or doesn't find the webcam but DOES find the microphone.
All USB's are 2.0 or 3.0 and Windows 7 is patched up current, system isn't overclocked right now and no other issues. Drivers up to date.

All drivers succeed in installing but again things like Lifecam(if testing an MS webcam) crashes instantly. Logitech webcams are never found, and some of the crappier brand webcams are not found by the system either. Have even gone so far as to take every other USB device off and just have a webcam. Constant crashes.

Any help?

Ya no

256MB 1Rx8 PC2-3200U-333-10-A1

PC2-3200U (also known as DDR2-400) indicates that the stick is most definitely DDR2 SDRAM running at at a 200 Mhz base memory clock (400 Mhz effective) for a total peak transfer rate of 3200 MB/s.

It'd be helpful if you could provide us the CPU model as well, just to be sure. I suspect you have a Pentium IV era machine using a socket LGA 775/478 machine. You could always use CPUz on the computer to help with the identification.

CPUz

Yeah exactly, pentium 4 LGA 775.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I2C80K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Would this work? Says compatible with PC2 3200 systems.

Yeah exactly, pentium 4 LGA 775.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I2C80K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Would this work? Says compatible with PC2 3200 systems.

That should work. If the system doesn't support the higher speeds (PC2-5300), the RAM sticks will be downclocked to the next supported speed. Most Mobos of that era supported a maximum of 2 GBs - 4 GBs of RAM, depending on the amount of RAM slots on the mobo.

How many RAM slots are available on your mobo?

If you have 2, then that 2 x 1 GB set should be perfect.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Guys, i just got a pc, was reinstalling and the picture went...went out and bought a vga cable to see if it had switched to that and nothing happened... long story short...i turned it off and on again and im getting nothing..

HDMI says the mode is not supported and the VGA PC mode on my tv just goes black for a second and changes channel

Am i fucked?

Please somebody see this soon as im staring at this PC wondering if Im gonna have to take it to an IT guy

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Hey guys,

My desktop PC wont connect to the internet. I am a complete noob in networking and i was wondering if anyone has had any similar issues with my problem.

I connect to the internet than it says "limited Access" even though i have other devices connected to my router and it is working perfectly fine.

so i did a troubleshoot and it comes up with the problem "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 7 adapter".

I have tried googling the solution but it is too complicated for me trying to figure it out.

Be much appreciated for any help and happy to answer any questions.

Right-click 'My computer', select 'properties' and open device manager. Click the line for 'Network adapters' and post the name of your wifi adapter. Also, right-click the wifi adapter listed, select 'properties', select the 'Details' tab, and select 'Hardware-ID' in the dropdown menu. Right-click the text that appears, and post that too (should look something like this PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002A&CC_0280). Give me that, and I'll look into it :)

Rubbish King

Guys, i just got a pc, was reinstalling and the picture went...went out and bought a vga cable to see if it had switched to that and nothing happened... long story short...i turned it off and on again and im getting nothing..

HDMI says the mode is not supported and the VGA PC mode on my tv just goes black for a second and changes channel

Am i fucked?

Please somebody see this soon as im staring at this PC wondering if Im gonna have to take it to an IT guy

Gonna go ahead and bump this request

Rubbish King

When you power the pc on, do you get any output at all (before it is supposed to get into your OS)

Literally nothing atm, On the HDMI Channel it says "Mode Not Supported" "The resolution is not supported on this TV. Please change the resolution"

I've googled the shit out of this and found nothing

apesh1t

Banned
If you're getting nothing, doesn't that mean the video card is gone? Usually when TVs say that they can detect a connection but can't get a feed.

seb_n

Literally nothing atm, On the HDMI Channel it says "Mode Not Supported" "The resolution is not supported on this TV. Please change the resolution"

I've googled the shit out of this and found nothing

It is strange that you dont get any output at all before the operating system loads. As the message on your tv suggests, either the resoulution is set too high or the refresh rate is set too high, power the pc on and keep hitting the F8 button, that should take you to the diagnostic menu of windows (i assume you are using windows?) if you see the menu, choose safe mode. Once in safe mode (it will look like crap) select a suitable resolution and reboot the pc.

Rubbish King

If you're getting nothing, doesn't that mean the video card is gone? Usually when TVs say that they can detect a connection but can't get a feed.

Gone as in broken?!

It had the old copy of windows on it about 30 mins ago and was running through a HDMI, started reinstalling it and then after it had expanded the installation files it reset and then got no image

It is strange that you dont get any output at all before the operating system loads. As the message on your tv suggests, either the resoulution is set too high or the refresh rate is set too high, power the pc on and keep hitting the F8 button, that should take you to the diagnostic menu of windows (i assume you are using windows?) if you see the menu, choose safe mode. Once in safe mode (it will look like crap) select a suitable resolution and reboot the pc.
But as I was half way through an installation I dont think I even have the OS on it anymore...? I cant tell really
It probably defaulted to a resolution the TV doesn't support. Do you have an actual computer monitor you can plug in?
No :(

Rubbish King

Did nothing man

Top Bottom