• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

seb_n

Gone as in broken?!

It had the old copy of windows on it about 30 mins ago and was running through a HDMI, started reinstalling it and then after it had expanded the installation files it reset and then got no image

But as I was half way through an installation I dont think I even have the OS on it anymore...? I cant tell really

No :(

Ah so you were in the process of installing windows? Hmm, thats a tricky one, i suspect that it is a driver issue then. The new windows installation doesnt see your hdmi port because it doesnt have the correct drivers installed, only the default windows version. Did you say you had a vga cable plugged in to the machine and the tv also? Does it give you the same error?

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Which TV model are you using?
A Samsung LCD 37"
Ah so you were in the process of installing windows? Hmm, thats a tricky one, i suspect that it is a driver issue then. The new windows installation doesnt see your hdmi port because it doesnt have the correct drivers installed, only the default windows version. Did you say you had a vga cable plugged in to the machine and the tv also? Does it give you the same error?
When I select the VGA it does something weird, the backlight turns off and a light flashes on the TV

Well without a monitor you're pretty hooped. Why were you reinstalling?

I just got the PC and I was doing a fresh install

seb_n

A Samsung LCD 37"

When I select the VGA it does something weird, the backlight turns off and a light flashes on the TV

I just got the PC and I was doing a fresh install

Unplug the hdmi cable from the pc and tv, make sure the vga cable is connected and reboot the pc, what does that do?

Rubbish King

Unplug the hdmi cable from the pc and tv, make sure the vga cable is connected and reboot the pc, what does that do?

Okay so I unplugged the HDMI and turned off the PC, i put the VGA back in and connected it to the TV. Before I turned on the pc i selected the channel "PC"

It says "No signal"

However when I turn it on the backlight turns off and everything disappears..then a red light flashed on the TV

EasyMode

Did nothing man

Actually, try doing this again after turning your PC on. Immediately after you hear the boot up *beep*, repeatedly tap F8 for a while and then press the Enter key. Then wait for a minute or so for Windows to boot into safe mode, which should be a resolution any TV would display.

seb_n

Okay so I unplugged the HDMI and turned off the PC, i put the VGA back in and connected it to the TV. Before I turned on the pc i selected the channel "PC"

It says "No signal"

However when I turn it on the backlight turns off and everything disappears..then a red light flashed on the TV

That is strange, it indicates that there is an output but it isnt right for the tv, it might even be too low due to the driver issue. Unfortunately, i can only really see this being resolved by using a proper pc monitor that would support lower resolutions. What is the graphics card and which version of windows are you using?

Ashhong

Yeah exactly, pentium 4 LGA 775.

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Channel-PC...ref=pd_cp_pc_2

Would this work? Says compatible with PC2 3200 systems.

You could try this as well

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

It says "No signal"

Do you have an onboard video card as well? ie, do you have a vga port on your motherboard?

Rubbish King

Found a very shitty monitor and it's not picking up anything either

Actually, try doing this again after turning your PC on. Immediately after you hear the boot up *beep*, repeatedly tap F8 for a while and then press the Enter key. Then wait for a minute or so for Windows to boot into safe mode, which should be a resolution any TV would display.

The thing is the drive has been partitioned (I think) and it was during a windows install so im not sure where it got cut off so I dont really know if it..has the operating system on it..

That is strange, it indicates that there is an output but it isnt right for the tv, it might even be too low due to the driver issue. Unfortunately, i can only really see this being resolved by using a proper pc monitor that would support lower resolutions. What is the graphics card and which version of windows are you using?

right im using a shitty monitor and its recognising nothing

Its a Nvidia 560ti and it HAD windows 64bit on it and was in the middle of reinstalling when this happened

seb_n

Found a very shitty monitor and it's not picking up anything either

The thing is the drive has been partitioned (I think) and it was during a windows install so im not sure where it got cut off so I dont really know if it..has the operating system on it..

right im using a shitty monitor and its recognising nothing

Its a Nvidia 560ti and it HAD windows 64bit on it and was in the middle of reinstalling when this happened

Very strange that the monitor isnt working,

How about leaving the windows disk in, booting the machine and keep hitting the space bar to get it to boot from the disk again to restart the installation?

As said above, do you have onboard grahics? Have you tried that port? I would probably pull out the pci-e card and try the onboard port if you have one.

Okay so I have an ASUS G73JW Republic of Gamer's laptop that for the past two months has had a super loud fan (its on the upper right of the keyboard under the power button, I believe it is the GPU fan). I'm not really sure if the thing is actually dying, loose, or just clogged with dust but the problem is you just can't willy nilly open it up and take a look. It doesn't help that I know nothing about computers so me trying to follow some kind of online tutorial and open it up and try to put it back together would be a nightmare.

It started off just being pretty loud out of nowhere. There didn't seem to be any performance impact and the computer doesn't seem to be overheating or anything. The noise is just really annoying. For a little while i did a stupid thing of tapping where the fan is and that would sometimes cause it to stop being loud. Eventually that stopped working. I'm able to play Tomb Raider for an hour or two just fine and nothing has ever happened yet.

I'm just worried that this thing is on its way out and I don't want to one day try to turn it on and get nothin...

Not really sure what to do. I haven't really looked into sending it in to anywhere but I'm not sure that would be anything more than just wasting money...

If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated

jwk94

Alright, so my cousin dropped my laptop on the hardwood floor last night. Is there any program that I can use to troubleshoot the inner components to make sure everything's working properly?

Rubbish King

Very strange that the monitor isnt working,

How about leaving the windows disk in, booting the machine and keep hitting the space bar to get it to boot from the disk again to restart the installation?

As said above, do you have onboard grahics? Have you tried that port? I would probably pull out the pci-e card and try the onboard port if you have one.

...I dont know..but I think at this point it's better I just take it to somebody who knows what they're doing as I feel I may do more damage than good here

seb_n

...I dont know..but I think at this point it's better I just take it to somebody who knows what they're doing as I feel I may do more damage than good here

fair enough, thats your call. Do you have onboard graphics though? It looks like a standard vga output that will be on the motherboard backing plate (by your usb/sound/mouse/keyboard ports) If you do, it is worth trying that before anything else.

seb_n

Alright, so my cousin dropped my laptop on the hardwood floor last night. Is there any program that I can use to troubleshoot the inner components to make sure everything's working properly?

Not that i am aware of really. If the machine is working ok today i would say its alright, the only cmponents that would really have an issue with being dropped is the hard drive and possibly the optical drive, if those are working ok then you should be fine. The cosmetic damage to the casing would be the worst of it (if there is any)

Rubbish King

fair enough, thats your call. Do you have onboard graphics though? It looks like a standard vga output that will be on the motherboard backing plate (by your usb/sound/mouse/keyboard ports) If you do, it is worth trying that before anything else.

That's what I've been using the entire time..?

broz0rs

My 1 year old computer stopped POSTing where I don't I have the option to enter BIOS and does boot to Windows. All the fans are still spinning, and I'm able to open the bay drive. My monitor flickers, but that's about it.

I ran a bunch of tests, but I have a question that I'm trying to figure out.

Is it possible my PSU is faulty?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I have trouble installing my new GPU.

So I recently bought a 7950 replacing a 560 ti. I do the usual uninstall drivers, boot up in safe mode, use driver sweeper then power down. Put the new card in and try and boot up but I'm getting nothing. Anybody know what could be wrong? Took a pic of how I have it hooked up and what I'm getting. Monitors are not turning on as if it's asleep and the red lights are on the motherboard. I put my old GPU in and everything turns on fine. Also keep in mind that this is the second 7950 that I'm getting this with. I thought the previous one was defective so RMA and got this one but I'm still having the same issue.

I'm using a 6+2 pin connector and a 6 pin connector to hook it up. Don't know what is going on at this point.

S2mKqaa.png

EgcUBZd.png

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Probably already asked and answered but this is a big thread so with the Roku can I watch local broadcast stations with it? If not what similar product can do that
I don't know if there's a way to do this, but as an alternative, consider a small indoor antenna, like the Mohu Leaf. You attach it to the wall behind your TV and screw in the coax coming off it (no power supply needed). Depending on where you live, it should pick up most of the OTA channels in the area. Should be around $25 on Amazon.

Son1x

Can I combine my HD 6850 with the same card from a different manufacturer?

I currently have PowerColor HD 6850 PCS+.

t-ramp

Can I combine my HD 6850 with the same card from a different manufacturer?

I currently have PowerColor HD 6850 PCS+.
Yeah, CrossFire is supposed to work with cards of different brands. I think you can also CF a 6850 with a 6870, actually, not that it would be a great idea.

jwk94

Not that i am aware of really. If the machine is working ok today i would say its alright, the only cmponents that would really have an issue with being dropped is the hard drive and possibly the optical drive, if those are working ok then you should be fine. The cosmetic damage to the casing would be the worst of it (if there is any)

Alright, thanks. Played a little bit of Bioshock 1 today and everything's seemed fine so far.

Argh, this is a small but aggravating problem in Firefox I have no idea how to diagnose. You know if you click a link in the middle of a long page, then hit Back, Firefox will automatically jump to the place on the page where you were when you clicked the link? It's suddenly stopped doing that for me--when I go Back, it will jump back to the top of every page. I never really thought about how much I counted on it remembering my position until it didn't. Any idea how to diagnose this? I haven't installed any new extensions lately.

Sagitario

I was wondering if any of the PC gaming experts could help me (I figured this is the most appropriate thread).

I have a laptop with an AMD 6770M + Intel card. Last night, I updated the drivers to Leshcat’s Catalyst 13.1 WHQL UnifL V2.1 (from 12.3). After installing them, I ran Saints Row The Third and Bastion and everything was fine (save for a few minor graphical glitches in SR, but nothing to worry about IMO). I didn't observe anything out of the ordinary (besides those glitches).

Well, today when I launched the game again, I noticed the game was really blurry: menu text, button prompts, hud, etc.
The Steam overlay (shift+tab) looked like if it had been smeared with Vaseline. Tried different games (Assassin's Creed 1, Bioshock, Bastion again, among others) and all presented the same issue.
While experimenting with anti-aliasing (because it reminded me of that weird PS3 AA effect, MLAA?) and other settings to see if I could fix it, I discovered the problem isn't present when running the games in windowed mode.

In windows mode, everything looks really sharp and pixel perfect.

Here are some examples of how the problem looks.
Left: fullscreen. Right: windowed.

If I use F12 while in fullscreen to take a screenshot, everything appears correctly/sharp. So, perhaps it's an after effect (something like MLAA)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edit:

The AMD Catalyst Control Center settings:

settingsais16.png

The AMD Catalyst Control Center settings:

settingsais16.png

The answer to your problems is in the screenshots you posted. It definitely looks like some post AA is being applied in fullscreen applications.

Try turning off Morphological filtering in the Catalyst Control Center and see what happens. :)

Fyi, You've got it in your post, MLAA = Morphological Filtering for AMD. It even mentions that it only affects fullscreen D3D applications only which is why you don't get the issue in windowed mode applications.

Ok I got a weird problem here.

My GPU has Mini HDMI and DVI (Nvidia Geforce 650 GTX). I connected my DVI to my monitor. Works great. No problems.

I connected my Panasonic TV via the Mini HDMI. The PC can see it. In the Nvidia control panel I can see its detected. But I get no picture on the TV.

I get picture on the PC monitor just fine. Tried changing resolution. Tried duplicating display and extending display. Nothing on the TV at all.

Any idea where I might be messing up?

Edit: Ok so slight update. If I use a HDMI-DVI adapter it all works fine. I think it might be the mini HDMI to HDMI adapter. Unless someone here can think of anything else.

Liamario

Banned
Can someone explain to me why firefox has a weird effect on flash videos. It's like photoshop filter is on any video I play.

Chrome

Firefox

It's a lot more obvious in motion.

UPDATE:-

The edge enhancement option in Catalyst Control Centre appears to have been the culprit. Crisis averted.

turnbuckle

Hey guys, running out of ideas here and wondering if anyone can help.

I just had a new computer purchased for me at work and I'm having an issue where my main monitor connected by HDMI will flicker. Sometimes it'll flicker quickly, other times it'll turn black and stay that way until I unplug and replug it - only for it to begin flickering again.

When I unplug my second monitor the flickering stopped for awhile, though it would still sort of flicker occasionally. When I unplugged the HDMI from my main monitor and connected it via DVI the flickering stopped. Unfortunately I my GPU doesn't have 2 DVI ports and I don't have a DVI-HDMI convertor cable (nor do I know if that'd even work). So I'm here asking for ideas.

I completely uninstalled my ATI drivers, went through the registry and deleted all traces of AMD/ATI components and then reinstalled the latest ATI driver for my card. My card is: an ATI 7700HD 2GB, the driver & related software I installed is
Display Driver ver. 9.012
OpenCL(tm) Driver ver. 10.0.1084.4
Catalyst Control Center ver. 2012.1219.1520.27485

The tech specs of the PC are:

3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770
16 Gigs of DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

I don't think the power of the hardware is the issue of course so I'm trying to figure out what else it could be. Perhaps some setting with the Catalyst software I'm not seeing?

The monitor I'm using is an Asus 27 inch at 1920x1080

TL,DR version:

- Main 27 inch monitor flickers when connected by HDMI, particularly when second monitor is set up.
- Wiped all old ati/amd driver and software, clean installation of latest drivers for 7700HD
- Looking for help desperately :(

Valtýr

- Main 27 inch monitor flickers when connected by HDMI, particularly when second monitor is set up.
- Wiped all old ati/amd driver and software, clean installation of latest drivers for 7700HD
- Looking for help desperately :(

You need to remove variables. Right now you only know that it happens with that monitor, that graphics card and that cable. Can you swap cables? Can you swap the video card? Can you swap the monitor?

Flickering doesn't sound like a software issue to me.

The fact that it works on DVI tells me that it could be a bad connection somewhere on the HDMI side. Possibly on the monitor, the video card, or even the cable itself.

turnbuckle

Valtýr;50137158 said:
You need to remove variables. Right now you only know that it happens with that monitor, that graphics card and that cable. Can you swap cables? Can you swap the video card? Can you swap the monitor?

Flickering doesn't sound like a software issue to me.

The fact that it works on DVI tells me that it could be a bad connection somewhere on the HDMI side. Possibly on the monitor, the video card, or even the cable itself.

Sorry about that. It's hard for me to try too many variables because my options are limited. I've tried out two brand new HDMI cables and the experience was identical. I can't test HDMI on my other monitor since it only has DVI/VGA inputs. I can't test out if it occurs via DVI more frequently if I have 2 DVI monitors set up because my GPU only has 1 DVI port.

My only options right now are connecting my main monitor via HDMI with my second monitor via DVI; Connecting my main monitor via HDMI and unhooking my second monitor; and connecting my main monitor by DVI and unhooking my second monitor.

Another unrelated issue that is probably simpler to fix: Since I'm using 2 monitors of different sizes, when I move my mouse from one to the other there's an invisible "wall" at the top and bottom of the screen where my mouse won't pass. I used different sized monitors on my last computer and this "wall" didn't exist; the mouse cursor would be a little higher or lower when crossing screens because of the different resolutions, but I didn't run into that wall. Is there an option somewhere to fix this?

Thanks for the help :)

_RT_

Any chance someone can help here...
I'm chartering a sailboat in the BVI in a few months.
The charter company sent me to this link for the cruising guide:
http://moorings.s3.amazonaws.com/guides/BVI_Cruising_Guide/index.html#/1/

The site sucks and I can't download or print more than 15 pages at a time before shockwave crashes.

Is there a way I can download all of the pages as .pdf files? Or something similar that I can convert to .pdf separately?

Any suggestions?

Derrick01

Banned
My wireless internet temporarily disconnects when I'm downloading something and at random times too. It happens when I'm downloading on PC or on my PS3, and when it does happen it knocks everything out in my room (like I'll lose access on PC too if I'm downloading on PS3 and vice versa). My dad said he doesn't notice anything on his PC when it happens to me. This has been going on for a few months now but I don't download too often so I ignored it but I figured I should just take care of it as it is very annoying.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just call my ISP and get them to tinker with the router or is this a problem I can fix myself? I want to say this didn't start happening until our last router went out like 5 months ago but I don't remember exactly.

My wireless internet temporarily disconnects when I'm downloading something and at random times too. It happens when I'm downloading on PC or on my PS3, and when it does happen it knocks everything out in my room (like I'll lose access on PC too if I'm downloading on PS3 and vice versa). My dad said he doesn't notice anything on his PC when it happens to me. This has been going on for a few months now but I don't download too often so I ignored it but I figured I should just take care of it as it is very annoying.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just call my ISP and get them to tinker with the router or is this a problem I can fix myself? I want to say this didn't start happening until our last router went out like 5 months ago but I don't remember exactly.

It'd be helpful if you could briefly list out all the devices in your house that're using the router and wether they're connected via wired/wireless.

Also the make/model of the router would be useful, plus its positioning in your residence.

Some details of of your Internet connection would be great too. (Cable, DSL, Fiber Optics etc)

Sagitario

The answer to your problems is in the screenshots you posted. It definitely looks like some post AA is being applied in fullscreen applications.

Try turning off Morphological filtering in the Catalyst Control Center and see what happens. :)

Fyi, You've got it in your post, MLAA = Morphological Filtering for AMD. It even mentions that it only affects fullscreen D3D applications only which is why you don't get the issue in windowed mode applications.

Yep. That was it! Thanks! :)
I had no idea that's the actual name of the anti-aliasing technique.
It looks awful, why would anyone want to apply it? D:

Again, thank you very much.

Yep. That was it! Thanks! :)
I had no idea that's the actual name of the anti-aliasing technique.
It looks awful, why would anyone want to apply it? D:

Again, thank you very much.

No worries.

When it doubt, always check your AMD CCC to see if there are any settings that aren't default.

AMD's MLAA implementation was intended to be a cheap form of AA for games that don't support traditional hardware based MSAA. Problem with MLAA is that it affects the whole image and it doesn't discriminate between the different elements.

It's since been largely superseded by improved implementations of other post processing AA like FXAA (which blurs out texture detail but costs nothing on modern GPUs/CPUs) and most recently, the newest kid on the block, SMAA (which is more computationally expensive, but highly effective and still cheaper than MSAA for a better overall look).

turnbuckle

Ok, now I'm really confused by my monitor situation. I grabbed a monitor from home so I could work out a couple different setups to see if I could narrow down the problem.

The monitor that was flickering on HDMI is now flickering while connected to DVI; my home monitor is connected via HDMI and isn't flickering whatsoever.

The monitor that's flickering worked 100% flawlessly on my old PC but it's acting up here. I hooked these two monitors up to my old work PC to see if it was doing it still and after a couple of hours it didn't flicker (via DVI since my old video card doesn't have an HDMI port).

I'm stumped.

Herne

Quick question for you guys. I have a media pc at home with a Core 2 Duo of some sort, 6GB of ram and I'm stuck in choice between what graphics card to install into it. I have two cards laying around at the moment - a GeForce 9500GT and a Radeon HD 4650. Which is the more powerful, and/or which would be more suitable for a media pc? I've looked up comparisons on Google but can't really find a definitive answer.

Quick question for you guys. I have a media pc at home with a Core 2 Duo of some sort, 6GB of ram and I'm stuck in choice between what graphics card to install into it. I have two cards laying around at the moment - a GeForce 9500GT and a Radeon HD 4650. Which is the more powerful, and/or which would be more suitable for a media pc? I've looked up comparisons on Google but can't really find a definitive answer.

The difference between them is a wash, they're almost the same in performance. Difference is, that while the 9500GT is still supported by NVIDIA's current driver program (which means that you can still get the latest drivers working for it), the Radeon 4650 is in legacy support, which means you're not gonna get to apply the latest drivers released for it.

Go for the NVIDIA card. (If it were a Radeon HD 4670 instead, I'd tell you to go with the 4670 for the performance advantage)

Valtýr

Sorry about that. It's hard for me to try too many variables because my options are limited. I've tried out two brand new HDMI cables and the experience was identical. I can't test HDMI on my other monitor since it only has DVI/VGA inputs. I can't test out if it occurs via DVI more frequently if I have 2 DVI monitors set up because my GPU only has 1 DVI port.

My only options right now are connecting my main monitor via HDMI with my second monitor via DVI; Connecting my main monitor via HDMI and unhooking my second monitor; and connecting my main monitor by DVI and unhooking my second monitor.

Do you have a TV with HDMI? If you can drag the PC over to it that would be a perfectly suitable test. If the problem persists on the TV then you know it's isolated to your PC, most likely the card itself. If the problem doesn't persist then you know it's your monitor.

As for your other issue, I don't believe there's any fix necessarily. I experience the same thing but it doesn't bother me.

edit:
Ok, now I'm really confused by my monitor situation. I grabbed a monitor from home so I could work out a couple different setups to see if I could narrow down the problem.

The monitor that was flickering on HDMI is now flickering while connected to DVI; my home monitor is connected via HDMI and isn't flickering whatsoever.

The monitor that's flickering worked 100% flawlessly on my old PC but it's acting up here. I hooked these two monitors up to my old work PC to see if it was doing it still and after a couple of hours it didn't flicker (via DVI since my old video card doesn't have an HDMI port).

I'm stumped.

tbh, it sounds like a video card issue. Monitors/TVs are plug'n'play so if the issue is at all present else ware then it would typically rule it out. The only software-based troubleshooting I would recommend at this point is to perform a system restore back to when the issue was not happening. I have dealt with driver issues that did not get resolved by reinstalling the driver. A system restore took care of those. However I'm leaning hardware.

Herne

The difference between them is a wash, they're almost the same in performance. Difference is, that while the 9500GT is still supported by NVIDIA's current driver program (which means that you can still get the latest drivers working for it), the Radeon 4650 is in legacy support, which means you're not gonna get to apply the latest drivers released for it.

Go for the NVIDIA card. (If it were a Radeon HD 4670 instead, I'd tell you to go with the 4670 for the performance advantage)

Wow, really? Only three generations old and already AMD has stopped updating the drivers. Huh. Thanks for that, man.

Valtýr

As mentioned, knowing a little more about the setup would help. The brand of router and how old it is would be the most helpful.

But based on the limited info here, the issue is likely with the router. Especially if the problem happening regardless of the device used.

Beats

So, this morning my wired connections stopped working all of a sudden and I'm having trouble figuring out how to fix it. I had my PS3, Wii U and main PC connected to it. Right now I'm on wireless which works fine and in the "Network and Sharing Center" it just says "Unidentified Network - No Network Access" for the wired connection. I have a Linksys WRT54G (about 10 years old-ish I think). I already reset the router and tried different cables, but that didn't do much. The connectivity lights on my router are lit up for the Ethernet stuff also. Should I just get a new router?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have a question I hope someone can help me figure out.

DLUVcYMl.png

Overnight, I noticed that I basically lost 20 gigs of hard drive space that I had recently freed up (I deleted Diablo 3 two days ago) and I have no idea where the space went.

I did a "Properties" on all the files on my hard drive (which has all hidden and system files shown, so it's not my hybernation or page file) and a "Properties" on the drive itself and as you can see, there's a 50 gig difference that I simply can't account for.

Does Windows 8 do something in the background that uses that space? Or are there even more hidden files that the show hidden files option doesn't expose?

Given that I'm on an SSD, losing that space is getting to be a bit of an unwanted crunch.

Edit: It looks like it is my windows.edb file.

I have no idea why the file is that big or how to deal with it though. :/

Double edit: in the end, I just turned off indexing and deleted the file. Yeesh!

Hey guise, my friend's pc power supply burnt out towards the beginning of the week and he took it into a shop or something and had it replaced. Now when he tries to play games they constantly chug, when they didn't before, even with lower settings. His specs are: 750 watt power supply. 7950 ati vid card. I7 920 cpu. 6gb ram. And he had a 750 watt power supply before. Any useful tips would be helpful and thanks in advance!

Apoptomon

Hey TechGAF, my Asus laptop's hard drive is split into 3 partitions: Hidden (25 GB), "OS" (300 GB) and "DATA" (373 GB). All of my stuff is in the default "OS" C: drive and the "DATA" drive is empty as far as I can tell. I haven't had a partitioned HDD before, so I was wondering if you guys had any tips like... should I leave it ("DATA") alone, or can I get rid of it for the space?

nan0

Hey TechGAF, my Asus laptop's hard drive is split into 3 partitions: Hidden (25 GB), "OS" (300 GB) and "DATA" (373 GB). All of my stuff is in the default "OS" C: drive and the "DATA" drive is empty as far as I can tell. I haven't had a partitioned HDD before, so I was wondering if you guys had any tips like... should I leave it ("DATA") alone, or can I get rid of it for the space?

Totally depends on what you want to do. I would recommend at least three (OS, Programs/Games, Personal Data/Backup), but two (OS, everything else) is fine too. Just decouple the OS from the rest, you'll save a lot of time when upgrading or doing a reinstall.

Apoptomon

Totally depends on what you want to do. I would recommend at least three (OS, Programs/Games, Personal Data/Backup), but two (OS, everything else) is fine too. Just decouple the OS from the rest, you'll save a lot of time when upgrading or doing a reinstall.
Thanks for that!

Top Bottom