• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Casanova

If I do a full system restore on my Toshiba Satellite Laptop by using the "press 0 - recovery partition" method do I have to have a windows 7 disc and key? Or will the process automatically restore to a 'fresh' state with the pre-installed windows 7 setup and everything?

I'm doing this for a friend who has forgotten his password and for some reason I cannot login as an admin or bypass it in any other way so I figured this would be my only option...

PLEASE HELP GAF

Jzero

If I do a full system restore on my Toshiba Satellite Laptop by using the "press 0 - recovery partition" method do I have to have a windows 7 disc and key? Or will the process automatically restore to a 'fresh' state with the pre-installed windows 7 setup and everything?

I'm doing this for a friend who has forgotten his password and for some reason I cannot login as an admin or bypass it in any other way so I figured this would be my only option...

PLEASE HELP GAF
Did you try Ophcrack yet? Anyways, to answer your question, it really depends. Sometimes it asks you to to insert the disk and sometimes it just recovers it from the partition.

Casanova

Did you try Ophcrack yet? Anyways, to answer your question, it really depends. Sometimes it asks you to to insert the disk and sometimes it just recovers it from the partition.

Is this download virus-free and credible? I ask because I have never heard of this program.

Would I just download this program to a blank CD-R disc or something? Or USB drive? or either one?

I know little about OS tech, most of my tech knowledge is on networking

Jzero

Is this download virus-free and credible? I ask because I have never heard of this program.

Would I just download this program to a blank CD-R disc or something? Or USB drive? or either one?

I know little about OS tech, most of my tech knowledge is on networking
Yes sir. I'm a computer technician and i have personally used it. You have to download the Vista/7 LiveCD version and burn it on a CD. I haven't tried putting it on a flashdrive but i'm sure it will work if you "burn" it to the flash drive.

noquarter

So my hard drive just kicked the bucket and was hoping GAF might be able to help me. I've ordered a new drive, but I'm in the middle of a move and don't have the recovery discs, knew I forgot something :(

I've found sites with all the drivers, but don't have anything for Win7. Is there someway to download it to a portable hard disk and install from that? The key is still on the bottom of my laptop, so hoping that should work.

Also, if you have any other suggestions, tips for me I'd appreciate it.

In case it matters this is for a toshiba satellite l775 s7309. Thanks.

Jzero

So my hard drive just kicked the bucket and was hoping GAF might be able to help me. I've ordered a new drive, but I'm in the middle of a move and don't have the recovery discs, knew I forgot something :(

I've found sites with all the drivers, but don't have anything for Win7. Is there someway to download it to a portable hard disk and install from that? The key is still on the bottom of my laptop, so hoping that should work.

Also, if you have any other suggestions, tips for me I'd appreciate it.

In case it matters this is for a toshiba satellite l775 s7309. Thanks.
Yes sir, just download the right one and you're good to go. Make sure it's the right one though or your key won't work.

Linkhero1

Hi,

I need help blocking websites based off keywords, specific sites, and specific pages within websites (if possible). Is there a way to do this over the network? I need to be able to block sites, keywords, and pages on multiple computers and devices. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

So over the last few weeks, I've been getting a lot of misdirected DNS problems--like google.com is actually resolving to the IP for apple.com or akamai.net or some other site, so of course the site can't load correctly (or at all), and usually throws an SSL error. It happens with google a lot, but I've also noticed it with amazon, reddit, and some other very popular sites. Running ipconfig /flushdns seems to fix it within a few minutes, but is it a sign of a bigger problem that this seems to happen every few days? What could be causing this?

Tamanon

Banned
So over the last few weeks, I've been getting a lot of misdirected DNS problems--like google.com is actually resolving to the IP for apple.com or akamai.net or some other site, so of course the site can't load correctly (or at all), and usually throws an SSL error. It happens with google a lot, but I've also noticed it with amazon, reddit, and some other very popular sites. Running ipconfig /flushdns seems to fix it within a few minutes, but is it a sign of a bigger problem that this seems to happen every few days? What could be causing this?

Could be something at the ISP level with their DNS servers or could be something on your computer. Try changing your DNS to Google DNS to see if it continues(8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Something about my laptop's Bluetooth and the Razer Orochi 2013 is funny. The mouse works fine in wired mode, profiles and all, but Bluetooth? It's acting very weird.

Using Toshiba's Bluetooth stack and drivers, the mouse works as a generic Bluetooth mouse, and nothing more. Synapse 2.0 won't recognize it.

Using Microsoft's generic Bluetooth stack and drivers, the mouse is properly detected as Razer Orochi 2013, and Synapse 2.0 can see it, but the pairing process never ends properly. The mouse just keeps blinking its "pairing" lights until it times out, then the mouse disconnects from the computer, disappearing from the laptop, without ever making a proper pair. Other non-mice Bluetooth devices (my phones, for example) work.

Any ideas? (It's obviously a Toshiba laptop.) I'm thinking of testing it out with restoring my entire laptop to factory condition now.

Kurtofan

Help!

I can't use Google search on Google Chrome(it works fine on Mozilla)

Whenever I try to access the google search page or just search things I get an error message saying: Error 15 (net::ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED)

It's just on Chrome which works fine for everything else.

Hero

Guys I need some help fixing my dad's HP laptop. It's about 5 years old and was running Vista. HP pavilion dv4 1222nr

For some reason it won't boot into Windows anymore, not even Safe Mode. The furthest it will get is after it loads it will go to a black screen with just the mouse cursor on it and nothing will work, not even ctrl + alt + delete.

I've tried using the system repair utility and it still hasn't fixed it, one time it allowed me go to last known good configuration but since then it won't allow me to.

I've tried inserting a Vista repair utility disc I made from my own laptop and that doesn't work. Even trying to install Windows 7 on it doesn't do anything and gives me the black screen after the Windows 7 logo boot.

Kind of stumped on what to do, any suggestions?

Lexxon

Personally I haven't had much luck with OPHCrack since the XP days. Granted I work on a lot of domain computers which have stronger hashes.

I tend to use Hiren's boot cd or the FalconFour (just a tweaked version of the latter) more particularly the 'Offline NT Password and Registry Editor' contained within either boot CD. This will clear the password rather than try to recover it. Works on domain computers and home OS from my experience.

That being said, Ophcrack is a lot more FUN when it works. Finding out what the password was after all.

Casanova

Personally I haven't had much luck with OPHCrack since the XP days. Granted I work on a lot of domain computers which have stronger hashes.

I tend to use Hiren's boot cd or the FalconFour (just a tweaked version of the latter) more particularly the 'Offline NT Password and Registry Editor' contained within either boot CD. This will clear the password rather than try to recover it. Works on domain computers and home OS from my experience.

That being said, Ophcrack is a lot more FUN when it works. Finding out what the password was after all.

Ophcrack did work successfully for me. The UI looks stunning and is remarkably simple to use. I ran into one problem, but I restarted my comp. and all was fine.

Kurtofan

Help!

I can't use Google search on Google Chrome(it works fine on Mozilla)

Whenever I try to access the google search page or just search things I get an error message saying: Error 15 (net::ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED)

It's just on Chrome which works fine for everything else.

Anyone? :(

Casanova

I just moved my hard drive from my compaq presario desktop to another HP pavillion. Everything fit perfectly, no problems. But, when I went to start the HP with the hard drive from the compaq, it goes to the initial windows loading screen, a blue screen quickly pops up and then the computer restarts and says that there may have been some hardware changes.

I thought everything would flow very smoothly considering HP and Compaq are very similar but then again, I've never done much with hardware, just added RAM and did the basic cleaning regimen.

I'm guessing I have to somehow tell my old hard drive from the Compaq to detect the new motherboard from the HP.

Just in case anyone was wanting to know, I was wanting to put my old hard drive onto this motherboard because this motherboard has more RAM slots for more RAM.

Please help I'm a noob. And I know my description was vague but, I'll do what I can to give you all of the info you need to help me.

Here was my computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...c-001_title_r0003&lc=en&tmp_docname=c00874655

and I moved the hard drive from that computer to this computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01151737

That should help out a lot

Jzero

I just moved my hard drive from my compaq presario desktop to another HP pavillion. Everything fit perfectly, no problems. But, when I went to start the HP with the hard drive from the compaq, it goes to the initial windows loading screen, a blue screen quickly pops up and then the computer restarts and says that there may have been some hardware changes.

I thought everything would flow very smoothly considering HP and Compaq are very similar but then again, I've never done much with hardware, just added RAM and did the basic cleaning regimen.

I'm guessing I have to somehow tell my old hard drive from the Compaq to detect the new motherboard from the HP.

Just in case anyone was wanting to know, I was wanting to put my old hard drive onto this motherboard because this motherboard has more RAM slots for more RAM.

Please help I'm a noob. And I know my description was vague but, I'll do what I can to give you all of the info you need to help me.

Here was my computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...c-001_title_r0003&lc=en&tmp_docname=c00874655

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01151737

The brand doesn't matter. The motherboards have to be exactly the same ones for it not do get any hardware errors and even then there can still be errors. The problem is that the hard drives store the drivers from the motherboards and if you put them on another computer the drivers will have conflicts and crash. The easiest option would be to re-install the operating system on it.

Casanova

The brand doesn't matter. The motherboards have to be exactly the same ones for it not do get any hardware errors and even then there can still be errors.

Ok so what should I do?

Should I just clear the info from the other hard drive and transfer all of the info from my old hard drive onto the hard drive in the HP?

Casanova

The problem is that the hard drives store the drivers from the motherboards and if you put them on another computer the drivers will have conflicts and crash. The easiest option would be to re-install the operating system on it.

The HP came with a pre-installed version of Vista, so can I just do a full system restore somehow? And do I do the restore with the HP hard drive in or the compaq hard drive in on the motherboard from the HP?

Jzero

The HP came with a pre-installed version of Vista, so can I just do a full system restore somehow? And do I do the restore with the HP hard drive in or the compaq hard drive in on the motherboard from the HP?

First back up any documents that you want saved on an external hard drive or cd/dvd, then move all the components to the computer that you want to use. Then download the Windows Vista ISO (32 bit or 64 bit depending on your computer) from the internet, then burn it to a DVD and install it. It will ask you for a product key so use the product key that came with the computer you want to use.

Vista sucks though so if you have money you should buy Windows 7 or Windows 8.

krae_man

I can't seem to get my computer to read Micro SD cards inside adapters.

Nothing happens if I put the card into my memory card reader, and nothing happens if I put my camera in USB mode with the card inserted.

I have two different Adapters from different cards I've purchased. It's definitely the adapters that are the problem since my PC can read the cards fine if they are inserted into devices that accept micro SD like my phone and Tablet.

How do I fix this?

Casanova

I'm using a friend's computer and he only has internet explorer downloaded. I am trying to download Chrome but I cannot get and download links to actually prompt for download.

I've googled this and can't seem to find any solution.

Any ideas GAF?

So it appears my Cisco valet M10 router has given up the Ghost (has stopped playing nice with my modem...will not recognize that it is connected to the modem via ethernet) So anyone have any relatively cheap options for reliable wireless routers?

Jzero

Yep. Tried it, and it didn't work, unfortunately. But Internet Explorer 8 seemed to download perfectly...? Something isnt right here..

BTW: Is IE 8 an okay browser? I haven't tried it yet..

Hell no. Internet Explorer sucks until version 8. If you're on Windows vista or 7 get Internet explorer 9.

Dai101

Banned

Have you tried using Fix HDC?? I usually use this when i move a hard drive to or from another PC and it got stuck in a loop from it can't start.

There are several Live CD's that has this tool, the most famous is Hiren's Boot CD/DVD, here's how you use it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_12225538_fix-hdc.html

hope this helps

Casanova

It is literally only google chrome that isnt downloading.. I've downloaded LoL and a couple of other games and stuff...

wtf?

Jzero

Have you tried using Fix HDC?? I usually use this when i move a hard drive to or from another PC and it got stuck in a loop from it can't start.

There are several Live CD's that has this tool, the most famous is Hiren's Boot CD/DVD, here's how you use it:

hope this helps

Nice. Didn't know that was on the CD.

It is literally only google chrome that isnt downloading.. I've downloaded LoL and a couple of other games and stuff...

wtf?

I would do a malware scan if you haven't already.

El_Chino

Hey guys, so recently whenever I watch Netflix (on Chrome or Firefox) my CPU usage shoots all the way up to 100% and never dips below 95% and I've never had this problem before so I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this?

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 at 2.80 GHz
RAM: 4GB

Casanova

hope this helps

It sounds great!

One question though:
This step:
Burn a Windows boot file package to a blank CD with a CD burner to create a Windows boot disc. Multiple Windows boot file packages are available online for free download; make sure the package that you acquire contains the "Fix HDC" utility program.

Read more: How to Fix HDC | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_12225538_fix-hdc.html#ixzz2PfyHVpr9

EDIT: nevermind, Hiren's boot CD

Thanks

Casanova

UPDATE

I was able to burn the ISO image (Hiren's Boot CD) on to a blank disk using FreeISOburner.

I then went into my BIOS and changed my boot priority to the CD drive first.

Restarted my computer and gave several attempts at the computer booting up Hiren's CD, but no luck.. It just did the same thing, that damn blue screen flash. I never got it to read the Boot CD, and I am almost 100% sure that I burned it correctly on to the disk...

What am I doing wrong?? Why won't this computer read the boot disk??

I have been up for 30 hours, I'm tired as hell and fuck this shit.

Please help though, I will check for responses when I wake up.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts.

I have tried for a good half an hour now to convert a .sid file to a .tiff . I'm just about to give up but I kind of really need it.

If anyone has any suggestions about the easiest way to do this without downloading some "free" converting program that would be great. Or if you want to just do me a favor and do it for me that would be great too ;)

Tamanon

Banned
Not a problem as much as an annoyance. How do i mute the charging sound on an Ipad?

If you mute the device using the mute switch itself, you won't get the sounds of notifications like that. You can still hear regular volume from youtube/movies and the like. No way to only mute the docking sound.

Quick question guys:

I just upgraded my Bell Internet to 50/10. I go to speedtest.net, and i'm only getting 36/7.

When we called Bell they said it's because we're going through wifi. Their wifi from their modem. I thought wifi could do up to 100mbps? Also, the modem is right next to the PC, so it can't be distance.

Edit: Wireless N btw in both my PC and from modem.

Jzero

Quick question guys:

I just upgraded my Bell Internet to 50/10. I go to speedtest.net, and i'm only getting 36/7.

When we called Bell they said it's because we're going through wifi. Their wifi from their modem. I thought wifi could do up to 100mbps? Also, the modem is right next to the PC, so it can't be distance.

Edit: Wireless N btw in both my PC and from modem.

To be honest most people rarely get the advertised speeds since not everyone lives next to the ISP building.

To be honest most people rarely get the advertised speeds since not everyone lives next to the ISP building.

I had 25/10 before and i'd always get that. It's advertised that with the 50/10 i'll get between 47-50 on average. That didn't sound too unreasonable. But 36 instead of 50? That's a massive difference.

DTKT

I had 25/10 before and i'd always get that. It's advertised that with the 50/10 i'll get between 47-50 on average. That didn't sound too unreasonable. But 36 instead of 50? That's a massive difference.

Was the 25/10 package also wi-fi? There are so many possible factors with wifi but generally, you can always assume that some part of the bandwidth will be lost.

Was the 25/10 package also wi-fi? There are so many possible factors with wifi but generally, you can always assume that some part of the bandwidth will be lost.

Yeah it was. I won't jump to conclusions and i'll hardwire it when I get home, I just thought wireless N was better than that.

I have tried for a good half an hour now to convert a .sid file to a .tiff . I'm just about to give up but I kind of really need it.

If anyone has any suggestions about the easiest way to do this without downloading some "free" converting program that would be great. Or if you want to just do me a favor and do it for me that would be great too ;)

Anyone?

Ondore

Hello NeoGAF:

I've got an issue where the media on one particular website - pictures and mp3s - isn't loading, and it's a podcast site so it doesn't pull up in a RSS reader or iTunes. (The site in question - mind the spam - is this one.)

This is across all browsers, but so far has been localized to just my WinXP laptop. It works at work, on mobile Chrome (over wi-fi) and even on my roommate's laptop... I'm at a loss. Is there something I'm missing?

Yeah it was. I won't jump to conclusions and i'll hardwire it when I get home, I just thought wireless N was better than that.

I have a WiFi network in the 5GHz band and can reach the 50/5 speed advertised by my ISP. However often the speedtest servers, the general network (shared medium after all), time of day, etc. let me drop significantly under it.

I guess if your hardware is capable it probably is just network congestion. Don't know about your ISP but here they advertise with "up to XXX MBit" and only guarantee 256KBit.

Tech support GAF---

I'm living in an apartment with 4 dudes right now. I've noticed that at least one of my devices cannot connect to the internet (iPhone, iPad, Xbox, PC or MacBook) I notice it on the MacBook the most but is it possible that there are too many devices connecting to the router? I have a Airport Express thats connected to my PC right now if that makes any difference...

LogicStep

Guys, I recently bought the Astro A40s. They work wonderful on my consoles. I plugged them up to my pc through the optical out from my computers motherboard. It sounds fine, I get the surround sound when I tried it on a game. But now the sound just cuts off a little bit after I turn them on. I turn them off and back on and they work, I get sound. But seconds later it cuts off. What's going on?

My motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128366

Top Bottom