• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

I suspect the Internet company is throttling the speed whenever I torrent files. What programs can I use to hide torrenting from there. It's basically a monopoly in California.

O.DOGG

Hey, GAF,

Yesterday the videos I watch started freezing once every couple of minutes. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with rewinding a step and resuming the playback but it was annoying.

At first I thought it was a bad encoding but this morning I tried it with videos that I know work perfectly and still got the same problem. I thought maybe a codec file got corrupted somehow so I uninstalled everything codec-related I could find in the Programs list and installed a newever version of the player (MPC-HC) along with a fresh batch of codecs. Same thing. I downloaded and installed VLC - no difference.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I'd hate to reinstall just for this but I will if I have to.
Using Windows 7 64.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not amazing by any means, but dude, free. It has a Sandforce controller in it, which was one of the ones that caused problems. Just don't put anything that you can't afford to lose on it for a few months. (though that can be said about any hard drive anyway)

Thanks for the info. There is another Verbatim I could get, the 2SSD256, Here

Looks a lot slower because of the SATAII instead of III, but is it more secure? Is it THAT much slower?

kennah

Thanks for the info. There is another Verbatim I could get, the 2SSD256, Here

Looks a lot slower because of the SATAII instead of III, but is it more secure? Is it THAT much slower?

Depends on what you're putting it in. Go for the SATA3 one, just make sure you're backed up. It will probably be fine.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Depends on what you're putting it in. Go for the SATA3 one, just make sure you're backed up. It will probably be fine.

everything... It will effectively replace the 500GB drive in my laptop, I will just make sure to back up my stuff every so often.

GG-Duo

Do you guys have experience with reinstalling Windows 7 in-place? Is it a good way to fix a OS that has started showing sporadic errors?

I'm visiting my parents and I'm trying to clean up my day's computer — but with his number of important files and applications, I'm not sure what is the best way to clean it up.

Thanks.

DocSeuss

I turned on my laptop today... aaaaaand the power light's coming on, but that's all. I've tried restarting the computer, taking the battery out and powering it on--nothing. I can't afford a new laptop. Help would be super neat.

I have used my Intel 320 SSD for about a WEEK now, SSDhealthpro says it has 99% health with 9 years, so the previous owner didnt use it much it seems.

either way I seem to have run into the 8MB glitch in this series drive. lost my windows installation, but no irreplaceable data.

ran into MANY issues trying to secure format the drive, 3 different DOS programs and their pickyness in running.

anyway after messing with it to get it out of frozen security state and then a secure format, taking all day with this. Intel firmware update in dos doesnt recognize the drive. and in this secondary OS partition I have the toolbox has trouble communicating, but can read the Serial, and says I have 4PC1 firmware.... this seems to be the current firmware?!?! wtf did they never fix this issue?

tl;dr: is the Intel 320 series fucked?

I turned on my laptop today... aaaaaand the power light's coming on, but that's all. I've tried restarting the computer, taking the battery out and powering it on--nothing. I can't afford a new laptop. Help would be super neat.

details? is this an HP....?
can you hear the fan at all, or HDD? there is a chance its the video card, plug in an external monitor.

if its an HP I would say your mobo has a good chance of being gone.

Help, anything I hear from my Linux laptop sounds higher pitched! AVGN and Angry Joe sounds funny, like kids.

Try to update or rollback the drivers. try headphones? disable and renable the device..

*edit* linux? they should have something equivalent.

Do you guys have experience with reinstalling Windows 7 in-place? Is it a good way to fix a OS that has started showing sporadic errors?

I'm visiting my parents and I'm trying to clean up my day's computer — but with his number of important files and applications, I'm not sure what is the best way to clean it up.

Thanks.

from what I can tell there is only the startup diagnostics windows does, your better off with Ccleaner, System mechanic or somehting to checkup on the registry.
remembering that sporadic errors arent necessarily software error, run memtest, check the caps on the mobo.

DocSeuss

details? is this an HP....?
can you hear the fan at all, or HDD? there is a chance its the video card, plug in an external monitor.

if its an HP I would say your mobo has a good chance of being gone.

Try to update or rollback the drivers. try headphones? disable and renable the device..

*edit* linux? they should have something equivalent.

from what I can tell there is only the startup diagnostics windows does, your better off with Ccleaner, System mechanic or somehting to checkup on the registry.
remembering that sporadic errors arent necessarily software error, run memtest, check the caps on the mobo.

Asus. I can hear the fan. I closed the case, reopened it, did the power cycle again for the umpteenth time... and, uh, this time, it worked.

brian577

Banned
I just bought a new router to replace my aging Apple Airport Extreme and I can't get it to connect to the modem. It is a Western Digital N600, I've spent hours with tech support trying to get this thing to work with no luck. Any ideas GAF?

Hoping someone here can help me fix my PC. I was watching some Youtube video yesterday and my PC suddenly crashed. When I try to restart it all the fans will start spinning fairly quickly, but it won't boot up. Things I've tried already...

-reconnecting all the power supply cables
-cleaning the dust out specifically the CPU fan, although there wasn't much dust to begin with
-switching the RAM to different slots

There are some LEDs on the motherboard(orange) and GFX card (red) that turn on inside when trying to boot up, not sure if that's normal or not. I don't have too much experience messing with stuff inside the PC. I've replaced the GFX card, power supply, and RAM about 2-3 years ago. The rest is standard dell stuff about 5-6 years old.

Would greatly appreciate any help or advice... hopefully its not something that's too expensive to fix.

Guys, I have a really ridiculous question about Windows 8.

How do I manage my PC going to sleep? I have it set to 30 mins, but last night it just stayed on all night. And the night before everything pretty much turned off.

I want to have my PC downloading games or doing backups and stuff, but I don't want my computer running running, if that makes sense.

O.DOGG

Hoping someone here can help me fix my PC. I was watching some Youtube video yesterday and my PC suddenly crashed. When I try to restart it all the fans will start spinning fairly quickly, but it won't boot up. Things I've tried already...

-reconnecting all the power supply cables
-cleaning the dust out specifically the CPU fan, although there wasn't much dust to begin with
-switching the RAM to different slots

There are some LEDs on the motherboard(orange) and GFX card (red) that turn on inside when trying to boot up, not sure if that's normal or not. I don't have too much experience messing with stuff inside the PC. I've replaced the GFX card, power supply, and RAM about 2-3 years ago. The rest is standard dell stuff about 5-6 years old.

Would greatly appreciate any help or advice... hopefully its not something that's too expensive to fix.

Anything in the motherboard manual about the lights? If a computer is not booting a lot of motherboards nowadays use sound to tell you what the problem is. If yours has that feature that may give you a clue what to hunt for. Good luck.

Anything in the motherboard manual about the lights? If a computer is not booting a lot of motherboards nowadays use sound to tell you what the problem is. If yours has that feature that may give you a clue what to hunt for. Good luck.

Appreciate the advice, but it ended up being my PSU. I tried switching out to my older stock one, which luckily I had saved, and was able to boot up. It isn't strong enough for my graphics card (doesn't even have enough cables), so I ordered a new one. Hopefully, that resolves my issues and makes my PC stable until I can afford to fully upgrade the thing.

tehrafe

Hey, GAF,

Yesterday the videos I watch started freezing once every couple of minutes. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with rewinding a step and resuming the playback but it was annoying.

At first I thought it was a bad encoding but this morning I tried it with videos that I know work perfectly and still got the same problem. I thought maybe a codec file got corrupted somehow so I uninstalled everything codec-related I could find in the Programs list and installed a newever version of the player (MPC-HC) along with a fresh batch of codecs. Same thing. I downloaded and installed VLC - no difference.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I'd hate to reinstall just for this but I will if I have to.
Using Windows 7 64.

Did you try running the video in media player classic?

I had a problem similar to this one, I fixed it by reinstalling the graphics driver or the klite codec pack (one of the two, can't exactly remember)

Whenever I open IE on my mom and dad's old eMachines PC (Windows Vista), it only opens up a small window that I then have to maximize. Is there a setting I can change so that IE will automatically open in a maximized window?

tehrafe

Whenever I open IE on my mom and dad's old eMachines PC (Windows Vista), it only opens up a small window that I then have to maximize. Is there a setting I can change so that IE will automatically open in a maximized window?

If it's a shortcut,

right click -> properties

go to the shortcut tab and set

Run: Maximized

Linkhero1

I need some help GAF

I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 L521x with Windows 8 64-bit. I want to install a copy of Windows 7 either dual boot or to replace Windows 8 but I keep getting an error during installation due to the Intel RST. Can anyone please guide me or point me in the right direction?

Got an issue with a laptop that can connect to my wireless network but not the internet (Problem loading page, unable to connect). I cannot access my router's settings with the problem laptop. If I use another device to access the router's settings, I can see the problem laptop on the network. Every other device in the house can connect to the wireless network AND the internet perfectly so I know it's an issue with that particular laptop. Problem laptop is running XP SP2.

I've tried pinging google.com from cmd and it works 4/4 times. ipconfig data looks fine to me - all the IP addresses and subnet masks and DNS servers check out. DHCP is enabled. I've also tried the "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" and "netsh winsock reset catalog" commands to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas on a solution? Problem laptop was working fine earlier in the day and the only thing that's been done since then is installing software for a printer (which shouldn't affect it but what do I know?). Thanks in advance.

Zukuu

Banned
So for the second time my pc just froze and almost gave me a heart attack since there is INCREDIBLE loud, disturbing sound playing on max volume through my 5.1 system. Have to shut down the power to make it stop. In both cases, I was watching a flash video on google chrome. Software problem? Hardware problem? What can it be?

Recently picked up a Radeon HD6570 2GB, and a 24" LED Samsung Monitor for a second monitor, monitor is on its way, but I remember that a number of video cards dont support dual monitors via HDMI, one having to be VGA, my card has a HDMI VGA and DVI, I want to pick up a DVI to HDMI cable, but I want to know:

where the hell can I find out if my video card supports dual monitors over HDMI/DVI?

So for the second time my pc just froze and almost gave me a heart attack since there is INCREDIBLE loud, disturbing sound playing on max volume through my 5.1 system. Have to shut down the power to make it stop. In both cases, I was watching a flash video on google chrome. Software problem? Hardware problem? What can it be?

it really depends, could be video could be Power supply, but I would say go update your graphics drivers, if you can get someone to test that PSU I would do it.

Got an issue with a laptop that can connect to my wireless network but not the internet (Problem loading page, unable to connect). I cannot access my router's settings with the problem laptop. If I use another device to access the router's settings, I can see the problem laptop on the network. Every other device in the house can connect to the wireless network AND the internet perfectly so I know it's an issue with that particular laptop. Problem laptop is running XP SP2.

I've tried pinging google.com from cmd and it works 4/4 times. ipconfig data looks fine to me - all the IP addresses and subnet masks and DNS servers check out. DHCP is enabled. I've also tried the "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" and "netsh winsock reset catalog" commands to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas on a solution? Problem laptop was working fine earlier in the day and the only thing that's been done since then is installing software for a printer (which shouldn't affect it but what do I know?). Thanks in advance.

Go default all internet settings, this IE Firefox or Chrome? find a way to get another browser on there to test it out.

Also check Anti-virus program settings and be sure to see about getting a virus SCAN and a malware scan as well, as many malicious Malware/Virus's can mess with Internet connectivity.

I need some help GAF

I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 L521x with Windows 8 64-bit. I want to install a copy of Windows 7 either dual boot or to replace Windows 8 but I keep getting an error during installation due to the Intel RST. Can anyone please guide me or point me in the right direction?

Intel Communities, their Knowledge bases is a good place, overall I would suggest maybe switching the controller over to AHCI in the Bios to help with problems of the OS not detecting drives, is this a OEM Windows 7 disc or maybe you are installing it via USB stick?

xclaw

Recently picked up a Radeon HD6570 2GB, and a 24" LED Samsung Monitor for a second monitor, monitor is on its way, but I remember that a number of video cards dont support dual monitors via HDMI, one having to be VGA, my card has a HDMI VGA and DVI, I want to pick up a DVI to HDMI cable, but I want to know:

where the hell can I find out if my video card supports dual monitors over HDMI/DVI?

It will and don't waste your money, it will probably come packaged with a DVI > HDMI adapter so you can run both monitors via HDMI cables. If not they're a couple bucks from monoprice.

Thanks.

If you can't perform a repair installation you can install a fresh copy which will move everything existing on the computer to /WINDOWSOLD if I recall the folder name correctly. You'll have to reinstall all the applications but then a simply copy paste or move of the files from that directory over again will make it easier than backing everything up first. Just be sure to not reformat anything during the installation process.

Do you have a VGA or cable to hook the laptop up to a monitor or TV? You can then determine if it's the videocard that died or not. Then come back here. :) Odds are it is the video card that died but until you do that test you don't know.

It will and don't waste your money, it will probably come packaged with a DVI > HDMI adapter so you can run both monitors via HDMI cables. If not they're a couple bucks from monoprice.

I already have the card, and the monitor only comes with a VGA cable.

I am wondering if the difference between HDMI and VGA is great enough to go out of my way then.

Edit, also the HDMI port is a bit loose, I dont mean the solder points, I mean HDMI cables slip out very easily, I should be able to squeeze the HDMI metal housing to tighten it I assume.

xclaw

I already have the card, and the monitor only comes with a VGA cable.

I am wondering if the difference between HDMI and VGA is great enough to go out of my way then.

Edit, also the HDMI port is a bit loose, I dont mean the solder points, I mean HDMI cables slip out very easily, I should be able to squeeze the HDMI metal housing to tighten it I assume.

Depends, at work I use HDMI and VGA but it's all GUI/Text work so you really don't notice any difference between the screens. Gaming would definitely tell the difference. ~5$ will get you one within a couple days from monoprice or 3$ with free shipping from china give or take 3 weeks. I'd say it's worth it to get one.

HDMI ports can be a little loose depending on what they're mounted to but the cable shouldn't slide out to easy, should plug in and feel like it's not sliding out unless you actually pull on it.

MechDX

Weird small problem: My mouse, Logitech G5, will scroll down with no problems but when I try to scroll up there is like a huge delay and it takes like 10 seconds before the screen starts to move.

So guys, after playing Battlefield 3 for half an hour it crashes and I hear an error message. Then my pc shuts down.

When I turn it back on, it resumes and shows me this error:

rJ5aOCB.png

I'm running it on a 15" Macbook Pro in Bootcamp. 2.1GHz, i7 Cpu, AMD 6750M, 4GB ram.

I have tried almost everything. I deleted my video card drivers, installed new ones, ...

Then I thought it might be a temperature issue, I checked the temps a few minutes before the crash (by chance) and my cpu was running at 90C. I have read that those are normal temperatures for Macbook Pro's. So it's probably something else?

Thanks in advance

well thats a directX error, so I would suggest getting DirectX repair/reinstalled to see about fixing it.

otherwise check on microsoft forums for the specific error, or a google search.

So guys, after playing Battlefield 3 for half an hour it crashes and I hear an error message. Then my pc shuts down.

When I turn it back on, it resumes and shows me this error:

rJ5aOCB.png

I'm running it on a 15" Macbook Pro in Bootcamp. 2.1GHz, i7 Cpu, AMD 6750M, 4GB ram.

I have tried almost everything. I deleted my video card drivers, installed new ones, ...

Then I thought it might be a temperature issue, I checked the temps a few minutes before the crash (by chance) and my cpu was running at 90C. I have read that those are normal temperatures for Macbook Pro's. So it's probably something else?

Thanks in advance

90 degrees Centigrade?

Played for half an hour before the crash ensued and the Macbook automatically shut itself down?

Sounds like the usual symptoms of overheating to me. The Macbook did what it did to prevent thermal damage to itself (to protect itself).

The DirectX error seems like a red herring to me, a true D3D error would prevent you from launching the game in the first place and this error seems to be a side effect of the unexpected crash and forced shut down.

Try and improve the cooling situation (blow out dust using compressed air, use a cooling pad), and try the game again.

My hard drive in another PC couldn't boot anymore. So I used a SATA to USB and it tells me to reformat before use. What can I do to get around this?

90 degrees Centigrade?

Played for half an hour before the crash ensued and the Macbook automatically shut itself down?

Sounds like the usual symptoms of overheating to me. The Macbook did what it did to prevent thermal damage to itself (to protect itself).

The DirectX error seems like a red herring to me, a true D3D error would prevent you from launching the game in the first place and this error seems to be a side effect of the unexpected crash and forced shut down.

Try and improve the cooling situation (blow out dust using compressed air, use a cooling pad), and try the game again.
oh I overlooked that C in there, yea thats too hot, plus the GPU being too hot can cause a crash as well.

My hard drive in another PC couldn't boot anymore. So I used a SATA to USB and it tells me to reformat before use. What can I do to get around this?

Windows will say that when a drive has bad sectors, that HDD is failing. you could run a checkdisk see if you could recover some bad sectors, but get all that info off the drive if you get access.

Windows will say that when a drive has bad sectors, that HDD is failing. you could run a checkdisk see if you could recover some bad sectors, but get all that info off the drive if you get access.

Lol it takes forever to load. I will try to run checkdisk to see. Thank you!

Edit: I can't even get it to open properties lol. I assume it will take ages to read it all.

90 degrees Centigrade?

oh I overlooked that C in there, yea thats too hot, plus the GPU being too hot can cause a crash as well.

I thought it would be temperature, but yesterday I tried reinstalling DirectX and I could play for hours.

This morning I tried playing again and it crashed.

I have absolutely no idea anymore now. I might try cleaning my mbp.

Linkhero1

Intel Communities, their Knowledge bases is a good place, overall I would suggest maybe switching the controller over to AHCI in the Bios to help with problems of the OS not detecting drives, is this a OEM Windows 7 disc or maybe you are installing it via USB stick?

I ended solving the issue. I followed these steps outlined here:

http://superuser.com/questions/523313/how-do-i-install-windows-7-to-boot-with-uefi-and-intel-rst

Preparation

Some form of Windows 7 x64 full install media will be required, but not a Windows 7 upgrade disc as they don't reliably boot UEFI.

Down load the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver F6 floppy installer for Win7 x64 usually named f6flpy-x64.zip. Unzip this onto a USB stick as it will be needed during the Win7 install.
BIOS

Boot into the BIOS setup (F2 on the Dell XPS 15, often Del on other systems, read your manual) and check the following settings:

That the SATA controller is in RAID or Intel Rapid Storage Technology mode
That Secure boot is disabled, this is only supported by Windows 8
That Legacy boot mode is enabled
That UEFI boot mode is also available

Note: When booting always use UEFI boot options and not the Legacy options. The Win7 install disc should boot with UEFI, but doesn't do it reliably without the Legacy option enabled.
Clean and Destroy

This is destructive and will wipe the hard drives

You need a Win-PE DOS command prompt, boot your computer and activate your boot menu (F12 for the Dell XPS 15) and UEFI boot the Win7 install disk and choose Repair. Jump through whatever hoops it asks until you can open a Command Prompt.

In the command prompt run through the following commands (relevant to the Dell XPS 15, your computer may vary the required disk numbers):

Code:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
clean
select disk 1
clean
exit

Return to the Win7 install menu by clicking the little red X at the top right of the repair tools menu, or reboot off your disc.
Install Windows 7

A custom install is required, two things need to be done:

Use the Advanced tools to select the large hard drive for the Windows install. Windows will insist on three partitions for UEFI, if you don't see three partitions UEFI is not set correctly. Either, the BIOS is not set correctly, or you chose to legacy boot your install media. Do nothing with the mSATA drive.

Load the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers! Select the Drivers option and browse to the files from f6flpy-x64.zip unzipped to a USB stick earlier. This stops the "Windows can not install on this hardware" issue mentioned earlier.

Install Windows, you know how you like it. Install all the drivers, except the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and application. Install Win7 SP1, you'll need windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe. Run Windows update until it stops whining.

Now install the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology application, the file named iata_enu.exe

After rebooting until the driver installs and Windows updates are satisfied, open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application. There should be an Accelleration icon, use this to set up as large a cache on the mSATA SSD as you'd like (I chose 60GB), but do not use the Maximised option, it seems to cause trouble. Again with the rebooting.

Windows 7 should now be installed to boot UEFI and using Intel RST.

Note: You may be able to go back into the BIOS and disable Legacy boot, but this may render some systems unbootable.

Lol it takes forever to load. I will try to run checkdisk to see. Thank you!

Edit: I can't even get it to open properties lol. I assume it will take ages to read it all.

Okay so it is Vista and it recieved the black screen of death. When I go to properties it shows 0 bytes and I can't do error checker because "The disk check could not be preformed because Windows cannot access the disk."

cajunator

Banned
My computer has several issues.
Firstly it will crash playing youtube videos and then the browser stop working. Only resetting fixes it.
similarly when youtube crashes sometimes the sound doesnt work anymore and I have to reset.
the other thing it does is stalls after a reset on bootup and either takes a long time or stays on a black screen. I have to keep hitting enter to "keep it awake" and make it continue the booting process.
eventually it goes to windows and all is fine.
my computer is bizarre.

I need to make my windows boot partition bigger (stupidly made it too small). I remember partition magic being decent but that was ages back.

Any suggestions?

I need to make my windows boot partition bigger (stupidly made it too small). I remember partition magic being decent but that was ages back.

Any suggestions?

Acronis Disk Director does the job, but it will cost you. Never failed me so far though.

True Image Home is also brillant for disk cloning when moving OS and data across different hard disks.

velociraptor

Say if I wanted to connect two routers on the same network, how would I do this?

Router 1: 192.168.1.1 (DHCP range is 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.199)
Router 2: 192.168.1.2 (Turned off DHCP).

Is this the way to do it? The IP of the second router should be OUTSIDE the DHCP range of router 1, correct?

Lucius86

Banned
Say if I wanted to connect two routers on the same network, how would I do this?

Router 1: 192.168.1.1 (DHCP range is 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.199)
Router 2: 192.168.1.2 (Turned off DHCP).

Is this the way to do it? The IP of the second router should be OUTSIDE the DHCP range of router 1, correct?

Yes. As long as he subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 rather than a smaller range.

Top Bottom