• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Seeing if anyone can help an issue Im seeing with my YouTube subscriptions. I use the main subscriptions page to check for any new uploaded videos to the channels I follow, but a few have been taken down due to copyright and other reasons but I can not remove them from my list.

As you can see below as an example, there is one called "telvisionpromos" as its been taken down, if you click on it you get the below message if I click on the message it will just takes me to the main YouTube page, doesn't give me any option to remove the channel from my lists

3u4Me9S.jpg

gp7Xs6h.jpg

So you would think I could remove this channel from my subscription list through the manage subscriptions page. But when I check in there all the channel that have been taken down [like the telvisionpromos for an example] are not listed here to allow me to modify/remove them.

laLHoWt.jpg

Anyone have any ideas have to remove this taken down channel from my subscriptions list? I've looked through the YouTube FAQs etc but cannot find out a why to remove them.

On the main subscriptions page you view all the channels you follow my Most Relevant/New Activity/A-Z
The first two option seems to put the taken down channels near the top as it shows unseen new videos high up and the later is how I view the list anyway and doesn't help with my issue.

Im using a Windows 7 Home Edition
Tried this on the below browsers and get the same issue on all of them:

Chrome version 27.0.1453.110
Firefox version 21.0
Internet Explorer version 9.0.8112.16421

Thanks in advance.

DirtRiver

Hey guys, big problem here that I could use some help dealing with.

My main computer boots but doesn't display any sort of image. Last time this happened was around the time I build this computer and I eventually diagnosed it as a faulty memory stick, but this time I am afraid is something worse.

The first time this happened it wouldn't show up any image sometimes but if you let it 'rest' it would boot normally and that was how I diagnosed the faulty memory stick using Memtest, but this time, even after 1 month, it still isn't booting.

Here is what I have done so far:
- Made sure the monitor is working properly
- Cleared CMOS
- Rechecked power cables
- Removed memory stick to see if accused anything.

The last one is the more telling one I am afraid. Even without the memory stick inserted the computer behaves the exact same way, powering up but not going anywhere with it. Does this mean my motherboard is fried?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hey guys, big problem here that I could use some help dealing with.

My main computer boots but doesn't display any sort of image. Last time this happened was around the time I build this computer and I eventually diagnosed it as a faulty memory stick, but this time I am afraid is something worse.

The first time this happened it wouldn't show up any image sometimes but if you let it 'rest' it would boot normally and that was how I diagnosed the faulty memory stick using Memtest, but this time, even after 1 month, it still isn't booting.

Here is what I have done so far:
- Made sure the monitor is working properly
- Cleared CMOS
- Rechecked power cables
- Removed memory stick to see if accused anything.

The last one is the more telling one I am afraid. Even without the memory stick inserted the computer behaves the exact same way, powering up but not going anywhere with it. Does this mean my motherboard is fried?

What makes you think it boots? A beep? Lights on the PC? Fans going?

DirtRiver

What makes you think it boots? A beep? Lights on the PC? Fans going?

Lights on the PC and fans working but it doesn't beep (it never beeped so that's normal)

Edit: I don't know where one draws the line between turning on and booting, so there's that.

Raw64life

Maybe this should go in the Steam thread but I'm not sure. I had problems with my PC recently (turned out to be busted power supply, swapped them and all is well), but before I fixed this I wiped my boot drive (an SSD) and re-installed Windows. Prior to doing that, I always kept all my Steam games on a separate drive using Steam Mover (I know Steam has an option for installing on separate drives now but I started using Steam Mover before such an option existed and never stopped). So now I have all the game data on on a separate hard drive and Steam on my boot drive. Any way to get Steam to recognize the games I have?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Lights on the PC and fans working but it doesn't beep (it never beeped so that's normal)

Edit: I don't know where one draws the line between turning on and booting, so there's that.

I consider turning on to be power and lights, as you have and booting to actually go into some sort of OS.

With just power on, I would look up the motherboard manual and try some troubleshooting. Things to look for: does the motherboard have error LED patterns or error sound patterns? If you unplug/remove everything on the motherboard but the essentials (CPU, power), what happens? Then add one item at a time and see.

Go default all internet settings, this IE Firefox or Chrome? find a way to get another browser on there to test it out.

Also check Anti-virus program settings and be sure to see about getting a virus SCAN and a malware scan as well, as many malicious Malware/Virus's can mess with Internet connectivity.
I've checked with IE and Firefox. Neither have proxies setup and neither can load a webpage normally. Neither Norton nor MalwareBytes picked anything suspicious up.

I have been able to access the Internet if I boot up in Safe Mode with Networking. So maybe something that's loading with Windows normally is the problem? What would be the best way to check aside from disabling each thing via trial and error?

highrider

Banned
Hey technically proficient folk. :)

My wife has a Sony vaio laptop, it's a few years old and it has a virus. Whenever she opens the browser or anything it just crashes. It can only run windows in safe mode. She's tried windows security sweep or whatever but to no avail.

Vpceb390x is the model. It's only two years old. It seems like a nice laptop. What's a good way to go about fixing this?

Dai101

Banned
Hey technically proficient folk. :)

My wife has a Sony vaio laptop, it's a few years old and it has a virus. Whenever she opens the browser or anything it just crashes. It can only run windows in safe mode. She's tried windows security sweep or whatever but to no avail.

Vpceb390x is the model. It's only two years old. It seems like a nice laptop. What's a good way to go about fixing this?

There's your problem.

J/K ;)

Try installing http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the free version is ok). Some kind of malware are tricky and is it aborts the installation of this program just rename the .EXE file to whatever name, after that download this and do the same http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware_database.html

Now boot into safe mode and do a scan with it. Hope you can fix it

highrider

Banned
There's your problem.

J/K ;)

Try installing http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the free version is ok). Some kind of malware are tricky and is it aborts the installation of this program just rename the .EXE file to whatever name, after that download this and do the same http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware_database.html

Now boot into safe mode and do a scan with it. Hope you can fix it
Thanks man. On it. I'll hopefully be able to take it from here, but I may return in shame. Lol

Does anyone have a idea how to solve Windows 7 not booting with the following error after the BIOS?

Windows/system32/winload.exe
error code 0xc0000001

I googled around but my findings were inconsistent at best :/ I can't say much about the PC either as it is not mine although it seems to be a Intel i5 system with a AMD graphics-card and 4GB RAM. Other than that the PC worked fine this morning and was shut down normally only to display this error after being turned on this evening. I will post more info as I get it and thanks for any help in advance!

My first guess was that the HDD or the SATA cable somehow went wonky though I doubt that now since as far as I know the PC only has one HDD and if that couldn't be detected the bootloader shouldn't be present at all... :(

Dai101

Banned
Does anyone have a idea how to solve Windows 7 not booting with the following error after the BIOS?

error code 0xc0000001

I googled around but my findings were inconsistent at best :/ I can't say much about the PC either as it is not mine although it seems to be a Intel i5 system with a AMD graphics-card and 4GB RAM. Other than that the PC worked fine this morning and was shut down normally only to display this error after being turned on this evening. I will post more info as I get it and thanks for any help in advance!

My first guess was that the HDD or the SATA cable somehow went wonky though I doubt that now since as far as I know the PC only has one HDD and if that couldn't be detected the bootloader shouldn't be present at all... :(

Have you tried this: http://blog.cheesesoft.com/winload-exe-is-missing-or-corrupt-fix-winload-exe-error-instantly/

belvedere

Junior Butler

error code 0xc0000001

I used to experience bootloader issues like this all the time on an older Win 7 rig. From the recovery console run a chkdsk /r. If the machine still doesn't boot after that it may be a corrupt bootloader which a restore should fix.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hi all, hope you can help.

I ordered a laptop with "no operating system", but the company that built it installed Windows 8, probably to test it was working. I don't have a key for 8, but I do have one for 7. How do I reformat the laptop and install Windows 7? I created a bootable USB drive from the ISO on their site and using their tool, do I just run that or do I need to do something to remove 8 first? I'm not so familiar with this sort of thing so any advice is much appreciated.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Hi all, hope you can help.

I ordered a laptop with "no operating system", but the company that built it installed Windows 8, probably to test it was working. I don't have a key for 8, but I do have one for 7. How do I reformat the laptop and install Windows 7? I created a bootable USB drive from the ISO on their site and using their tool, do I just run that or do I need to do something to remove 8 first? I'm not so familiar with this sort of thing so any advice is much appreciated.

The USB key will be fine, just pick whatever vernacular for "clean install", not upgrade. Make sure you format the existing disk/partition.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The USB key will be fine, just pick whatever vernacular for "clean install", not upgrade. Make sure you format the existing disk/partition.

Thanks, is formatting an option using the program on the USB key then? Or do I need to do that seperately? When using the USB tool I see a bunch of different partitions that have been created, I selected the "primary" one (C Drive) but got an error when trying to go further, saying that "The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. For additional information about installing to GPT disks go to the Microsoft website (www.microsoft.com) and search for GPT." should I continue at this point?

Dai101

Banned
Thanks, is formatting an option using the program on the USB key then? Or do I need to do that seperately? When using the USB tool I see a bunch of different partitions that have been created, I selected the "primary" one (C Drive) but got an error when trying to go further, saying that "The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. For additional information about installing to GPT disks go to the Microsoft website (www.microsoft.com) and search for GPT." should I continue at this point?

Just partition7format the HDD using the tool that comes with the installation. Not need anything else.

Oh thanks I will look at it! :)

I used to experience bootloader issues like this all the time on an older Win 7 rig. From the recovery console run a chkdsk /r. If the machine still doesn't boot after that it may be a corrupt bootloader which a restore should fix.

Thank you too I will try that aswell and I'm glad my suspicion of the HDD seems to be right though I hope it's not the HDD itself :/

Nakazato

Hey guys,

MY GFs Laptop is having an issue with MSE. Its telling her everything she downloads is a virus. From Pictures to Exes. We have tried to Delete but it tells us it needs admin approval. But when we click on the program it says program cant be found. Anyone know whats going on ??

Windows cant access the specified device path or file you may not have the appropriate permissions.

Any and all help will be apprenticed.

Tamanon

Banned
Hey guys,

MY GFs Laptop is having an issue with MSE. Its telling her everything she downloads is a virus. From Pictures to Exes. We have tried to Delete but it tells us it needs admin approval. But when we click on the program it says program cant be found. Anyone know whats going on ??

Windows cant access the specified device path or file you may not have the appropriate permissions.

Sounds like she's got a fake MSE on there. Are you able to try a System Restore?

Dai101

Banned
Hey guys,

A screen cap of this could help so much. Add one or even a good picture of it with your phone

BIGWORM

I've done lots of lurking in this thread, now I feel it's time to ask a question.

I have a dual monitor setup through my GPU, a GTX 660: one through native HDMI out (PC monitor), and the other through a DVI-to-HDMI adapter (Sony Bravia 46" HDTV). My question is how do I get a game to fullscreen on the Sony TV without having to alt-tab the game, drag it to the Sony screen, the fullscreening it from there? I would like to try to avoid having to mirror my PC monitor just to play the game on the Sony TV.

Also, semi-unrelated, whenever I fullscreen a video on the Sony TV, the framerate of the video noticeably drops into the ~10s--anyway to fix that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

AColdDay

Sometimes I get screen tearing in the bottom half of my screen and it goes away when I do a system restore.

Any idea what could be causing this? It doesn't happen every day, but every few weeks or so, I will see some screen tearing and it is always fixed by a system restore.

jayhawker

I'm about to start my first real job and will need to buy my first smartphone so I can get email on the go. Workplace uses Apple everything (also new to me) so I figure I should get an iPhone. I'm using Page Plus now with a dumb phone, but I plan to switch to Solavei. Anyway, my main question is whether the phone in the following craigslist ad will actually work with solavei. It's a CDMA phone, but was unlocked with Gevey sim.

Selling a black Apple iPhone 4S 16GB, in excellent condition,no scratch and no crack, working perfectly. It's a cdma iPhone but unlocked with gevey sim and can be used with any gsm carriers, T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, NET10, Straight-Talk, H2O etc... and overseas. I have the phone with chargers but no box. I may trade for iPhone 4 plus cash or sell it straight cash for $255. Call or text if interested at redacted

Is it true that the same iphone will work on both cdma and gsm once unlocked? I thought they were completely different phones.
EDIT: I've been looking into it, and I'm reading conflicting things. Some sites say that it will take a gsm card but only work in Europe. Others say it will work in America. Wat.

Sometimes I get screen tearing in the bottom half of my screen and it goes away when I do a system restore.

Any idea what could be causing this? It doesn't happen every day, but every few weeks or so, I will see some screen tearing and it is always fixed by a system restore.

Screen tearing on your desktop itself? Or in games/apps?

How pervasive is it?

GAF, I need some help, does anyone have any advice on how to remove a memory stick from a computer, a pro duo, I got it stuck in the slot.

Blablurn

Hi guys!

I have a laptop with one Windows 7 key (from the bottom as usual) and one Windows 8 key (bought it from MS). I would like to factory reset my laptop. So here are my questions.

Whats the best and easiest way to go for a complete 100% fresh start? (like delete windows etc)

And then when everything is gone, how do I make my laptop detect a new windows version?

And can I use the keys I already own? I'm thinking especially about the Windows 7 key since I dont wanna use 8 anymore. I don't have a CD or DVD. Just the Product Keys.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit:

I found those Windows 7 isos from the official Microsoft website. Could I use them for BackUp purposes? After all I have a key.

http://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/...-dateien/610a3a3c-e99c-42e6-8cf8-fda31127b035

I notice it the most in Firefox, but it effects my games as well. It stays like that until I do a system restore, messing around with the Catalyst Control V-Sync settings doesn't affect it.

Maybe there is a confusion of terminology here, but doing a system restore fixes it? is an update happening here? try re installing your video card drivers.

We had ran malwarebytes and it said we had trojans got rid of them. Tried to run MSE got the same message.

You should do a boot virus scan, Trend Micro Sysclean or Kaspersky have these. you just have something really stubborn.

Hi guys!

I have a laptop with one Windows 7 key (from the bottom as usual) and one Windows 8 key (bought it from MS). I would like to factory reset my laptop. So here are my questions.

Whats the best and easiest way to go for a complete 100% fresh start? (like delete windows etc)

And then when everything is gone, how do I make my laptop detect a new windows version?

And can I use the keys I already own? I'm thinking especially about the Windows 7 key since I dont wanna use 8 anymore. I don't have a CD or DVD. Just the Product Keys.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit:

I found those Windows 7 isos from the official Microsoft website. Could I use them for BackUp purposes? After all I have a key.

http://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/...-dateien/610a3a3c-e99c-42e6-8cf8-fda31127b035

1. backup as needed
2. run the install with the SKU that is stated on the Key. Custom install with a format of the main partition.
3. You are going to be fine, just be sure to DL a clean copy of windows, after all the key is what you pay for.

AColdDay

Maybe there is a confusion of terminology here, but doing a system restore fixes it? is an update happening here? try re installing your video card drivers.

No, I don't think I'm getting the terminology wrong. System Restore from a restore point (usually the day before) fixes the issue. Yeah, I've had problems clearing out and reinstalling my video card drivers in the past. Especially my video cards audio drivers, it is a giant headache to clear out my drivers and then try to figure out how to get it to output sound to my HDTV which I occasionally mirror my display to.

I love the performance my 7970 gives me, but all of the driver issues has been a huge hassle compared to the basically plug-and-play way my 5770 used to perform.

DrSlek

Okay gents. My Billion 7404VNPX bricked last night after a firmware upgrade. Just decided to completely stop working. The only reason I wanted to do the upgrade in the first place is because the internet connection frequently drops out. It may have something to do with the fact that I have a WiMax connection and Billion have notoriously bad EWAN support.

Anyway, recommend me a good router or modem/router. Must have VoIP, wireless N and a WAN port.
Preferably under $300 AUD.

Robso

Probably a really silly question. Just wondering, can you get a different brand of home plugs to the one you have connected to your router and it'll work fine? Was just wondering if you need to use the setup program if they'll connect, what with being different brands.

Dai101

Banned
Probably a really silly question. Just wondering, can you get a different brand of home plugs to the one you have connected to your router and it'll work fine? Was just wondering if you need to use the setup program if they'll connect, what with being different brands.

I don't really get this question.

Are you asking if any brand of RJ45 connector (this ones: http://i.imgur.com/Wf3X0zv.jpg ) will work? If so, yeah, they're standard and will work in any router no matter brands. And for the rest no, you connect one end to the router the other to the device and is good to go.

Home plugs? You mean AC Adapter or Ethernet Cable?

as far as AC Adapter, if the voltage matches, the plug physically fits and the Negative and positive Match Inner and Outter you will be perfectly fine.

Are you asking if any brand of RJ45 connector (this ones: http://i.imgur.com/Wf3X0zv.jpg ) will work? If so, yeah, they're standard and will work in any router no matter brands. And for the rest no, you connect one end to the router the other to the device and is good to go.

Well... as long as he doesnt accidentally get a Crossover cable..

mackattk

This might be a stupid question, but for the life of me I can't figure this out.

I signed up with trashmail.net, and I am going to start using this when I sign up at new websites so my inbox won't get spammed as much. For instance, papa johns sends me an email at least once a day.

The problem is with trashmail, when I receive an email it comes in like this "papajohns.com via trashmail.net" as the sender name. I can create a filter for papajohns.com and it pulls it up fine, but I can't figure out how to filter out the "via trashmail.net", so I won't have to keep creating filters for each new website.

If I type in "via trashmail.net", nothing will come up in the search. I am banging my head against the wall about this.

Hey my HDD is pretty slow and small and I want to upgrade to something bigger.

Whats the best way for me to get my current Windows 8 licence onto a new HDD.

I want a fresh install on the new HDD so not worried in losing anything. I have everything backed up.

I have the $30 windows 8 upgrade download so would I have to reinstall Windows 7 and then upgrade to 8 on the new HDD?

Robso

Home plugs? You mean AC Adapter or Ethernet Cable?

as far as AC Adapter, if the voltage matches, the plug physically fits and the Negative and positive Match Inner and Outter you will be perfectly fine.

Well... as long as he doesnt accidentally get a Crossover cable..

I probably should of been more clear. It's just, I've seen a lot call them home plugs (in the UK at least).

This is what I mean: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-A...ting_Powerline_Networking&hash=item3a7f954792

With the question being, will other brands, different to the ones I currently have (such as those above), connect fine? Hope that makes sense.

Dai101

Banned
I probably should of been more clear. It's just, I've seen a lot call them home plugs (in the UK at least).

This is what I mean: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-A...ting_Powerline_Networking&hash=item3a7f954792

With the question being, will other brands, different to the ones I currently have (such as those above), connect fine? Hope that makes sense.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooh yeah, language barriers and all that ;-)

Yeah, i don't see why not since all of them use the same protocol to transmit thru a residential power line. I.E.:
Compatibility
Based on the industry-leading PowerLine Alliance technology, the adapters in the DHP-501AV kit are compatible with other brands’ devices based on the IEEE 1901 standard. It is also compatible with devices implementing the former PowerLine AV standard, such as D-Link’s DHP-306AV/-307AV, DHP-P306AV/-P307AV, and DHP-W306AV/-W307AV.

http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-sol...hp-501av-powerline-av-500-adapter-starter-kit

Good luck

Top Bottom