• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Robso

What game files, after you've installed a game, do you go to so you can change the resolution? No option in game for Ride To Hell, so I have big black borders. :(

Has anyone ever bought from Crucial.com? If so, were their products reliable?

I stumbled onto their site when googling about upgrading the memory in my 2009 MacBook. I went through their advisor tool and it gave me a specific kit to buy, which is nice.

This is the first time I'm ever going to open my MacBook up to upgrade so I don't want to get something that's just not going to work.

mackattk

Has anyone ever bought from Crucial.com? If so, were their products reliable?

I stumbled onto their site when googling about upgrading the memory in my 2009 MacBook. I went through their advisor tool and it gave me a specific kit to buy, which is nice.

This is the first time I'm ever going to open my MacBook up to upgrade so I don't want to get something that's just not going to work.

Crucial is solid memory, you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

fanboi

Banned
I have a very strange issue.

I can't boot my computer!

This is what happens:

1. Can't boot, only bootable if I use the built in button for clr CMOS.
  2. Changed CMOS battery, doesn't matter
  3. If I remove the power cord to the PSU for a a min or two and then put it in I can boot.
  4. If I shut down I can boot with power button, but if I leave it for awhile it won't boot

Anyone have any ideas? Power cord bad? PSU bad? I'm bad?

Dai101

Banned
To add, the friggin power button on the motherboard doesn't even work when the power button doesn't.

Try removing the battery for a few minutes, also disconnect the power cord. This will full reset the BIOS config, try loading the defaults to see if this fixes anything.

If not, try with another PSU you may have at hand or with some buddy.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I running Windows 8 and have a problem I can't figure out. Anytime I try to close any game, it hangs and will not close. It will freeze on the exit screen and will not close. I'm able to get to task manager but I can't seem to close the game from there. I click on the process and try to end it, but it doesn't do anything. The only way I'm able to fix it is by logging off. And it is any game, Steam, Origin, UPlay. All of my drivers are up to date(specifically my video card, AMD 7950). I'm really confused by this one.

Ok, I have a major problem with my PC. It started the other week, was watching a video I think when I got the blue screen error. So I restarted the PC only to get the blue screen again before Windows started up. Tried booting in safe mode and stuff, but just couldn't get the computer to boot before the blue screen error came up again and again. Then I was away for a bit, and now when I get back, the computer is no longer sending a signal to the monitor. The connection is fine, the computer sounds like its starting up, but nothing is sent to the monitor. Also, there are LED's on the front of the power unit that usually light up when you turn the power on and they aren't lighting up anymore.

I have only fairly basic computer knowledge, and googling wasn't super helpful. So anyone know what I could be looking at here? Video card problem? Unfortunately I don't have another video card to test.

Maxim726X

Okay, here is the situation:

I have 2 monitors and 1 HDTV hooked up to the same computer. I would like a dual monitor setup (preferably one in which it isn't simply mirrored). I have one monitor and my TV hooked up via HDMI, and one monitor hooked up via DVI.

How can I get two separate desktops, one on my HDMI monitor, one on my DVI monitor? Does a program exist which could help me accomplish such a feat?

Windows 8, i5 3570, Sapphire 7970.

Dai101

Banned
Okay, here is the situation:

I have 2 monitors and 1 HDTV hooked up to the same computer. I would like a dual monitor setup (preferably one in which it isn't simply mirrored). I have one monitor and my TV hooked up via HDMI, and one monitor hooked up via DVI.

How can I get two separate desktops, one on my HDMI monitor, one on my DVI monitor? Does a program exist which could help me accomplish such a feat?

Windows 8, i5 3570, Sapphire 7970.

Look into the "Catalyst Control Center" there should be various options for display and desktops.

Ok, I have a major problem with my PC. It started the other week, was watching a video I think when I got the blue screen error. So I restarted the PC only to get the blue screen again before Windows started up. Tried booting in safe mode and stuff, but just couldn't get the computer to boot before the blue screen error came up again and again. Then I was away for a bit, and now when I get back, the computer is no longer sending a signal to the monitor. The connection is fine, the computer sounds like its starting up, but nothing is sent to the monitor. Also, there are LED's on the front of the power unit that usually light up when you turn the power on and they aren't lighting up anymore.

I have only fairly basic computer knowledge, and googling wasn't super helpful. So anyone know what I could be looking at here? Video card problem? Unfortunately I don't have another video card to test.

Is your computer POSTing?

It might be RAM related. Try taking out each stick of RAM and try booting with each stick individually in.

mxgt

Banned
I dunno what's happening now because no video is getting sent to the monitor at all, so I have no idea what the computer is doing. Tried the RAM but no dice.

Does your computer have on-board video capabilities or is it card only?

Sounds like it could be mobo, unfortunately.

Maxim726X

Look into the "Catalyst Control Center" there should be various options for display and desktops.

I've used that before.

I had to disable my DVI monitor for some reason... Didn't solve my issue, sadly.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. Has anyone else ever run into anything like this?

Got an audio problem

After plugging off my headphones from my PC, my speakers don't work no more

Help tech gaf, thanks in advance

Tried uninstalling the audio drivers but to no avail

Ok guys, I need help. My PC wouldn't boot, was making a series of 2 beeps. I looked online and people were suggesting it could be a RAM issue and to reseat the RAM. I opened it up, did that, but I'm not sure about one of the sticks it doesn't 'click' in like the others and takes a lot of pressure to push down.

So I tried booting it again after that and now its making a series of 4 beeps.

:(

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I running Windows 8 and have a problem I can't figure out. Anytime I try to close any game, it hangs and will not close. It will freeze on the exit screen and will not close. I'm able to get to task manager but I can't seem to close the game from there. I click on the process and try to end it, but it doesn't do anything. The only way I'm able to fix it is by logging off. And it is any game, Steam, Origin, UPlay. All of my drivers are up to date(specifically my video card, AMD 7950). I'm really confused by this one.

FWIW, I uninstalled iCloud and now all my games will close properly. Dunno...

tehrafe

Got an audio problem

After plugging off my headphones from my PC, my speakers don't work no more

Help tech gaf, thanks in advance

Tried uninstalling the audio drivers but to no avail

This might be stupid but have you tried right clicking the audio icon in the task bar, select "playback devices" and then see if you can select your speakers and then set them as default device?

This might be stupid but have you tried right clicking the audio icon in the task bar, select "playback devices" and then see if you can select your speakers and then set them as default device?

I'm using it already but the audio is only there if I plug in the headset

I'm using the Asus XonarDG audio driver

Number45

Does anyone have any experience with the Windows 8 firewall* blocking connections that it should be letting through? I have RDP enabled on the domain/private networks (it's at work, attached to the domain) and I can RDP to my machine from another machine on the same subnet.

However, when I connect in from home it doesn't work. I've confirmed I can see the packets leaving the inside interface of the firewall (I manage that firewall) but I don't see a response. The firewall in Windows 8 doesn't seem to give me any tools for troubleshooting so short of installing Wireshark and WinPCAP (which is probably where I'm heading next) I don't have any idea what Windows is doing (assuming the packets are arriving, and at the moment I have no reason to believe that's not the case).

I'm wondering if the problem is that my machine at home isn't domain joined, but if that's the case I can't see any way of overriding that.

Ok so what the fuck, it was working fine and now 2 days later my PC won't boot again (2 beeps on startup). [see above] Why the hell would the RAM be acting up like this?

Dai101

Banned
Ok so what the fuck, it was working fine and now 2 days later and now my PC won't boot again (2 beeps on startup). [see above] Why the hell would the RAM be acting up like this?

Try cleaning the slots with isopropil alcohol and the "fingers" of the RAM stick too, for this you can use a pencil eraser and then just sitck'em firmly. if this don't work maybe the RAM stick is damaged and need replacement.

Into

Noob question, but here we go

I recently formatted my computer, installed Windows 7 64 bit

Under devices i have "Other devices - Unknown device" what is this? Because i am fairly sure this was not here before i formatted?

Everything is working fine so far, nothing has failed on me. Should i just ignore it? Is it some other device that? Ive unplugged everything but my mouse and keyboard in regards to the USB slots.

Or should i just ignore it?

apesh1t

Banned
Kind of long,

So last week, I was watching youtube and the screen went black, and everything died, but the power remained on. I shut it off, turned it back on, ran diagnostic, and it came back with nothing. Booting into safe mode, restarted it, then it worked fine. A few days later it went black after i tried to bring it back from sleep. This time I ran system restore, with the latest entry being 2.5 years old. It failed but still booted into Windows 7, gave me a bunch of warnings, but still loaded. A few days after that, same thing. I ran diagnostic, system restore, but this time there was an entry from 2 days ago, which was really weird. Pretty much thought that would fail too, but it loaded fine, no warnings. So I'm still on, and after several restarts, still seems to work. Am I good?

I figured the black screen was either my system over heated a driver with the graphic card, but if everything works, should I bother. All the drivers are up to date.

Batigol

Banned
I have a Galaxy tab 2 7 inch tablet and bought a micro sd card for it. But everything I try and download won't download to the card, just the tablet itself, so it's saying not enough memory.

It should be ext sd card right?

Dai101

Banned
Noob question, but here we go

I recently formatted my computer, installed Windows 7 64 bit

Under devices i have "Other devices - Unknown device" what is this? Because i am fairly sure this was not here before i formatted?

Everything is working fine so far, nothing has failed on me. Should i just ignore it? Is it some other device that? Ive unplugged everything but my mouse and keyboard in regards to the USB slots.

Or should i just ignore it?

Drivers. Some device needs it and since Windows don't recognizes it appears that way. Can you post the specs of your computer?

Try cleaning the slots with isopropil alcohol and the "fingers" of the RAM stick too, for this you can use a pencil eraser and then just sitck'em firmly. if this don't work maybe the RAM stick is damaged and need replacement.

I'll try that tomorrow. If it was dirt or dust though why would it work for 2 days and stop working now?

It's not even 6 months old so if anything needs to be replaced at least it shouldn't cost me anything.

sheamus

ok gaf

i just installed my H100i with my i5 3.4 idea temp is at 32C-35C and at 100% load its 54C
its also 30C outside. is my PC running to hot

Jitters

I can't upload a 1.52mb gif to minus, imgur, photobucket, or mediafire. When I try to upload it, it just says error. Anybody know what the problem could be?

Spinluck

Windows 8 issue here.

I've ignored it for quite some time.

I am able to access the Internet without a problem with most software. Web browsers, some games I think, and streaming music and videos. However Windows seems to always think it's offline, this began happening like 4 months ago- but I was so damn busy with College and work I gave up on trying to fix the damn thing. Since I've tried and tried to find solution via Google but I couldn't figure it out.

Because of it, I cannot access Windows Update or the Microsoft Store, and when I try to install certain things it gives me the notification window Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer. Although, I'm able to sometimes click "run anyway" to install the desired software. If I recall correctly, there has even been an instance where I was prompted to verify my version of Windows... LOL...

Some software that require Internet connections will work, while some do. It has gotten pretty annoying. And I've come to find that the Netflix App no longer works either :-(.

On a side not, funny story I went on Twitter and posted "Windows 8, what are you doing? Windows 8, stahp." And Windows Support's Official Twitter responded to me with "How can we help?".. and still wasn't able to help me.

Windows 8 issue here.

I've ignored it for quite some time.

I am able to access the Internet without a problem with most software. Web browsers, some games I think, and streaming music and videos. However Windows seems to always think it's offline, this began happening like 4 months ago- but I was so damn busy with College and work I gave up on trying to fix the damn thing. Since I've tried and tried to find solution via Google but I couldn't figure it out.

Because of it, I cannot access Windows Update or the Microsoft Store, and when I try to install certain things it gives me the notification window Windows Wireless Service is not running on this computer. Although, I'm able to sometimes click "run anyway" to install the desired software. If I recall correctly, there has even been an instance where I was prompted to verify my version of Windows... LOL...

Some software that require Internet connections will work, while some do. It has gotten pretty annoying. And I've come to find that the Netflix App no longer works either :-(.

On a side not, funny story I went on Twitter and posted "Windows 8, what are you doing? Windows 8, stahp." And Windows Support's Official Twitter responded to me with "How can we help?".. and still wasn't able to help me.

Try posting your issue here, in the Windows 8 OT. You'll definitely get more useful advice in that thread. Some MS devs post there.

GhaleonEB

So, next month I'm upgrading to a new desktop for the first time in 5+ years. With the last upgrade it was easy to toss my data from the HDD on a couple of DVDs and just copy them to the new computer. This time around I've got 300+ GB of music, pictures and videos and I'm not sure how to go about getting it from the current computer and onto the new. What's the best way to go about it, short of tossing a thumb drive back and forth?

Number45

So, next month I'm upgrading to a new desktop for the first time in 5+ years. With the last upgrade it was easy to toss my data from the HDD on a couple of DVDs and just copy them to the new computer. This time around I've got 300+ GB of music, pictures and videos and I'm not sure how to go about getting it from the current computer and onto the new. What's the best way to go about it, short of tossing a thumb drive back and forth?
A good sized external hard drive would make sense, then at least it would be a one time copy rather than multiple efforts. And as an added bonus you have a back up drive when you're done.

vI9EpOM.jpg

awww man. showed up today. :(

tried chkdsk , no errors, chkdsk /f ...everything fine. SMART passes in Seatools, Perfectdisk and Tuneup.

what should I do?

Dai101

Banned

You can but a larger HDD put in you current system and then copy everything. Once you done you can format your old HDD install your OS and continue using your PC as normal.

vI9EpOM.jpg

awww man. showed up today. :(

tried chkdsk , no errors, chkdsk /f ...everything fine. SMART passes in Seatools, Perfectdisk and Tuneup.

what should I do?

Could be nothing. Could be a ticking time bomb for eventual drive failure and data loss.

Backup whatever you can into another drive asap, and cross your fingers with that drive.

Could be nothing. Could be a ticking time bomb for eventual drive failure and data loss.

Backup whatever you can into another drive asap, and cross your fingers with that drive.
*sigh*

thought so...

at least it had a good run.

I'll start to plan a SSD+HDD replacement for my PC soon (after vacation).

Thanks!

educator

Hey guys, I have a question that hopefully someone might be able to answer.

I get runtime error whenever I try to reach the forums on xbox.com. The weird thing, though, is that it only occurs when im logged in. If im not logged on with my gamertag, I can reach the forums just fine.

Anyone has a clue why this is happening?

cross post from pc build thread

qAfrXA4.png

so in my rush to download hardware monitor today, I clicked through onto an "ad download" instead of the actual one. I ran the exe, realized what I had done, closed it, some windows opened up and I closed them then that was the end of it. It didn't instal anything I dont think. Nothing weird is running in task manager etc,

Anything I need to be worried about. Probably just being paranoid from my end.

this was the link to be precise

Dai101

Banned
cross post from pc build thread

http://i.imgur.com/qAfrXA4.png[IMG]

so in my rush to download hardware monitor today, I clicked through onto an "ad download" instead of the actual one. I ran the exe, realized what I had done, closed it, some windows opened up and I closed them then that was the end of it. It didn't instal anything I dont think. Nothing weird is running in task manager etc,

Anything I need to be worried about. Probably just being paranoid from my end.

this was the [URL="http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=Cd5FP4BXYUarmK8itmgX0t4HgDcrDgtoD2rq0hGqV6fuxARABILibpwNQ6fys1_r_____AWCloJWAmAGgAaahxOADyAECqAMByAPRBKoEhQFP0GZfDCc8y1hdvUoDRySKprjqGk0r9s06rtehCvTYjB-B6Peh1KlIwSb8PRDY3rsfzaB0YuKn_p4NSSwfCTVaw8mpotLE0yNMr2QHqChZrOV1W5o1bTLUqBBx278u-3OqBwy40HNAJjJXdt8YCBpy4dpUvbGvofdLLZfUu1uK5yzQQvMgiAYBoAYCgAfC3rsf&num=1&cid=5GjYYbU3Xnedw6de6sEib1q-&sig=AOD64_0brAIe3OdcHm4XCsz6-1Mu4UFjAg&client=ca-pub-1350675259325763&adurl=http://do.wnloads.net/go/7zip%3Fcreative_id%3Dmediumagg%26subid%3Dsoftware%26subid2%3Dwww.cpuid.com%26source%3Dgoogle_7-zip-display-AU-728x90-28385143746&nm=5&mb=2"]link[/URL] to be precise[/QUOTE]

Probably just being paranoid. In any case run this:

[url]http://www.infospyware.com/antispyware/adwcleaner/[/url]

Just for kicks ;)

mltplkxr

Well, 7zip's pretty good. However, you downloaded it from a intermediary and not from the official ("manufacturer" lol) site so who knows what they did with it?
Better uninstall it and run some checks just to be safe.

Quick question about moving RAM:

So I have 2 colours for my RAM slots and I want to move the RAM over to the other colour so I can test to see if my motherboards ram slots are faulty. I've heard about this dual link thing? i think it's called, where the RAM runs better in that mode when they are in the same coloured slots, but you have to set it on in the BIOS. Will I have to go into the BIOS and change a setting if I move these things over?

tehrafe

I'm using it already but the audio is only there if I plug in the headset

I'm using the Asus XonarDG audio driver

hmm

Have you tried downloading/installing an older driver for the soundcard?

Do you have any other audio programs installed that "enhance" the sound?
(and in general tend to screw up things more then actually help)

Maybe go to the Asus website and contact them with your question in case it doesn't get fixed.

Top Bottom