• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like EVO is a prestigious, serious tournament for this game anyway. EVO for this game is fucked. It's a tournament for an update of a game that came out a year ago that most regions cannot play. As a competitor game balance is the least of my concerns. As a showcase it'll be fine.

Doomshine

It's not like EVO is a prestigious, serious tournament for this game anyway. EVO for this game is fucked. It's a tournament for an update of a game that came out a year ago that most regions cannot play. As a competitor game balance is the least of my concerns. As a showcase it'll be fine.

Not to mention it's on Friday so good luck getting any practice in if you don't have access to an arcade.

Oh shit! I figured it out! I know how to beat Akuma! Why I didn't think of this sooner?!

Nina has a Glock.

When Evo comes the fight is gonna be resolved like this:

BjICz8i.gif

Not if this happens

Cmmap6DUkAE5FUV.jpg

GrayFoxPL

Enough with this A-Not-Kuma bollocks. It's not like we gonna play this game before it'll receive 7 and a half patches. By the time real Kuma will be released and so OP Akuma will look like P.Jack tier.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's huh "interesting" to see Nina players getting bodied left and right. Probably this character should be played differently in 7 to be effective and nobody catched up with the quirks yet.

Or she just sucks right now, lol.

Not if this happens

Cmmap6DUkAE5FUV.jpg

"Oh no! It's you! My Nemesis - The wind! XD

I have played Tekken 7 one time, last year at SCR. I played maybe 10 matches where I messed around with Katarina just to check her out. JDCR is in my pool.

QdFKVAm.gif

Nuszka

Think I watched 7ish hours worth of footage today , wife is not happy :( but how differently could I celebrate the release of this game ? Fly to Japan lol.

Get hit by Yoshi's obscure low no one used since 1987 - lose 60% of lifebar. :D
The fact he can use his rage drive to do a double screw attack in a combo is sick. I'm also seeing vids popup of people figuring out ways to abuse the new BT options, it's great. The kind of BT movement that I remember from T4, like when you could crouch in BT and turn around into a crazy backwards crouch dash.

This shit just tingles me in all my gimmicky places.

GrayFoxPL

The fact he can use his rage drive to do a double screw attack in a combo is sick. I'm also seeing vids popup of people figuring out ways to abuse the new BT options, it's great. The kind of BT movement that I remember from T4, like when you could crouch in BT and turn around into a crazy backwards crouch dash.

Yeah I see Yoshi can be a thread in the hands of someone with imagination.

sasuke_91

Seems like those RD screws do not count as normal screw attacks, so you get 2 in one combo. That's fine imo.

Eid Mubarak man and everyone too

Eid Mubarak Said to everyone.
A lot of back and forth this year where I live in Germany about when Eid was going to be. Which is weird because nowhere in the world the moon has been sighted.
Haven't watched any Tekken 7 streams today and it looks like I won't be able to watch a lot tommorrow either :(

Numb

Seems like those RD screws do not count as normal screw attacks, so you get 2 in one combo. That's fine imo.

Eid Mubarak Said to everyone.
A lot of back and forth this year where I live in Germany about when Eid was going to be. Which is weird because nowhere in the world the moon has been sighted.
Haven't watched any Tekken 7 streams today and it looks like I won't be able to watch a lot tommorrow either :(
They'll be a good bunch when you get to it
They always fight over the day every time

AllenShrz

Im taking a day off to go to the arcades and play more with Akuma.

Yesterday was fun but very crowded, Im sure saturday will be a nightmare so might as well go now.

cordy

Banned
Aris isn't wrong. I mean in T5DR the combos were a great size but then bound came into play. I have no problems with long combos but I think they need to be something that's hard to execute. Now it seems like it's so easy to pull them off that anybody can do them. I just don't like that personally.

I've never had a problem with combos I just had that every fighting game got bogged down with them.

Like Fox said though, the game is gonna get patched every time a new character drops so its like, why get worried or upset?

Ninja Edit: Making Combos harder to do doesn't mean much like any other execution barrier.

I can't get upset about anything balance wise since by the time I get the game everything will either be patched or figured out. EVO will be a minefield though.

Rip bringing up Poonko beating Anakin with Akuma as evidence for him winning T7 at Evo....

Like....that was Single Elim.....

Not saying he can't, its just like....pre-FR release I would've said no.

@Phine Aris is talking about SCII and SCI mainly. Not the combo heavy latter games.

AllenShrz

2 day reporting in, looks like people have figured out the new characters and new moves.

Damage in general is out of control, is way more than vanilla T7, those combos that are 80% are starting to pop up in normal matches a bit too frequently to my liking, kaz, king, hwoarang and specially Akuma are the most guilty of this.

Pachimari

I'm starting to consider picking up a martial art for real. One that can make me defend myself, and one that can keep my interest. I'm not looking at capoeira, taekwondo, karate, wrestling or judo. I want something with maybe quick technique that allows be to kick and party others. Would be really nice to get into.

You are probably going to want to look into Muay Thai or Brazillian Ju-jitsu, essentially MMA self-defence. There is also krav maga. If you want something less flashy and more reactionary then Jeet Kune Do is just that.

Pachimari

You are probably going to want to look into Muay Thai or Brazillian Ju-jitsu, essentially MMA self-defence. There is also krav maga. If you want something less flashy and more reactionary then Jeet Kune Do is just that.

Thanks for this mate. I'm gonna look up all four, and see if there's anything interesting to me, and then look up where I can practice it here in Denmark.

AAK

Something that really doesn't make sense to me is how right after a match finishes, the game instantly resets to the neutral position in free play while the person who loses has 20 seconds to get a revenge match or get off the machine. This is all done instantly with no load times.

However, once the revenge match is initiated, the gameplay is exited, loads up the loading screen to go back to a state of the game that was already playable. The only thing that was needed is to reset the timer and health bars. Why can't Namco get the rematch option without load times especially when Soul Calibur already accomplishes this? The weirdest thing to me is how the game clearly can reset the state of the match instantly as seen after every KO. Common Namco... for people that put in 1000's of games that's a lot of time you can save.

EDIT:

Is there a good source on how to get into frame data, Tekken specifically, of course.

inatekken:

http://seesaawiki.jp/w/inatekken/d/%c1%ed%b9%e7TFR

You will need google translate to help you and you need to be able to read the 8WR notation system, not the North American Tekken/MK system.

One thing also, I don't know if the stats on there are T7FR accurate or from T7 Vanilla, or even from Tag 2.

There might be a youtube video on breaking it down, but it usually works as

(Based on the game running at 60 FPS)
Command (the input)
Hit level
  • High, mid, special mid, low, including movement properties/stance change info.
Damage
Start up frames
  • Also known as the to-hit frame: how many frames it takes for the move to get into its active hit box window.
Block Frames
  • The attackers recovery in plus or minus frames when the move is blocked. Plus = your character recovers first, and by how many frames. Opposite for minus. Plus is good (used to create flowcharts or mixups), Minus is bad (but can be deceptive, IE used as bait).
Hit Frames
  • The attackers recovery when the move hits the opponent (same premise as block)
Counter Hit Frames
  • Same premise again, but when the move lands as a CH.
You'll see move properties as well, that let you know if there's a special situation on how you or the opponent recovers from block, hit, or CH.

Hope I got the intention of the question right. Ask away if you wanted something more specific.

For raw data, I use http://rbnorway.org/ttt2-frame-data/

EDIT
Day 2 character popularity rankings from Wonkey: lol at the bottom 8 or so.
https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/750528850065494016
Chloe not feeling so lucky.

is it just a case of simple math to figure out the start frames to be equal or less to the plus frames?

EDIT: I appreciate the reply, I will take a look at the site you linked.

Hyun Sai

They told me Tekken 7 had shorter combos, but I don't really see that in the footages, what happened ? We're back to endless bounce ?

GrayFoxPL

Pauls ss+3 is +4 on block lol. It was a -13 punish in tag 2. Happy.

Woot! Fuck yes!

This won't last, lol.

Is there a resource on learning how to read it or to understand the basics?

I always use this for my frame data needs.

http://rbnorway.org/ttt2-frame-data/

I wouldn't bother with JP notations for now.

Pick Kazuya from the list.

You see first command is a "1", "h" says it's high move, damage is damage
, next the good part, Startup frame, it's 10 it means it takes 10 frames from start to hit an opponent.

Now look lower at his other move: "2" the right punch it's start up frame is 12 - it takes 2 frames longer to hit then "1" . If two Kaz's push the buttons at the same time, one does "1" other "2", then "1" wins because it'll hit 2 frames earlier than "2" .
Look lower, his "3" kick is 14 frames, it'll lose to moves faster than 14 frames so both "1" and "2" when thrown at the same time.

Now go back to "1" .
After Start up frames is Block Frames. It's what happens when move is blocked - plus means you are at advantage, minus is disadvantage. Usually blocked moves are minus but here "1" is +1 frame, means Kaz has 1frame advantage if opponent blocks the move. At the same time opponent is at disadvantage for that 1 frame. Means if you block "1" and then push "1" it'lll take you 11 frames to "hit back" because of that one frame advantage opponent has. For him his next "1" will come out like it's 9 frames versus your 10.

Next is hit frame. For "1" it's +8, huge advantage if you hit opponent. So like above if you'll get hit by it and try to retaliate it'll take you whole 18 frames to get back with simple "1".

Whole idea is to match frames so eg. you hit opponent with "1" and you are +8, now if you do 14 frame move like "3" it's 14 - 8 = 6. Can opponent interrupt that? No because his fastest move is 10 frames. What if you hit "1" and go for a slow 21 frame move. 21-8 = 13. Can opponent interrupt that? Yes he can "1" is 10 frames. He'll also "win" with 11 and 12 frame moves resulting in counter hit. 13 frame moves will result in
"trade" characters hiting each other at the same time.

Hope this helps a little. Sorry I typed all this from PS3 and I'm beat ,lol.

Edit: obviously by the time I typed this, everyone said everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom