• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

This was beautiful

uKblJNX.gif

They've reanimated his tombstone for 7, and the rage art looks amazing.
That's not enough.

DEATH™;154268270 said:
They didn't reanimate tombstone. Its the same animation with different angle.

They reanimated Tombstone in DR, & again in Tekken 6. Why do they need to reanimate it AGAIN? People need to stop thinking that just because an animation is old it's bad. It's not. Quality animation doesn't age. People act like there is so much room for improvement when there really isn't.

The technology for animation capture today isn't anymore advanced than it was 10 years ago. Look at a game like Onimusha. The game is 15 years old & it animates as good as anything today. Why reanimate things for the sake of reanimating them? Makes no sense & costs tons of money.

Sayah

DEATH™;154281299 said:
Unreal Engine 4 is free now...

Guys, it's not to late to learn art. We need Tekken 7 modders in the future...

I already made an epic account. Will download it soon. Once I'm done with school, I'm focusing on learning a computer language.

UE4 uses C++ apparently.

AAK

They reanimated Tombstone in DR, & again in Tekken 6. Why do they need to reanimate it AGAIN? People need to stop thinking that just because an animation is old it's bad. It's not. Quality animation doesn't age. People act like there is so much room for improvement when there really isn't.

The technology for animation capture today isn't anymore advanced than it was 10 years ago. Look at a game like Onimusha. The game is 15 years old & it animates as good as anything today. Why reanimate things for the sake of reanimating them? Makes no sense & costs tons of money.

I disagree. Seeing some of those animations compared to Steve, LC, Law it's a clear outlier. I'm not saying reanimate everything, just reanimate the things they've been consistently recycling since Tekken 2. Kazuya's 2+4 is another. Also, King's tombstone was only ever reanimated in Tekken 5, never again. And i'm OK with it, who's asking for it to be changed? I was only talking about A.King's ugly tombstone. And my GIF was mostly talking about the multi-throws King has that are the same since Tekken 2. The multi-throws that were introduced in T5 and AKing's unique ones in T6 are also fine.

And even then, how come NRS and Capcom don't follow the same logic? They're reanimating everything.

I disagree. Seeing some of those animations compared to Steve, LC, Law it's a clear outlier. I'm not saying reanimate everything, just reanimate the things they've been consistently recycling since Tekken 2. Kazuya's 2+4 is another. Also, King's tombstone was only ever reanimated in Tekken 5, never again. And i'm OK with it, who's asking for it to be changed? I was only talking about A.King's ugly tombstone. And my GIF was mostly talking about the multi-throws King has that are the same since Tekken 2. The multi-throws that were introduced in T5 and AKing's unique ones in T6 are also fine.

And even then, how come NRS and Capcom don't follow the same logic? They're reanimating everything.

Nothing has been recycled from Tekken 2. That's an ignorant statement. See you don't even know what you are talking about. Maybe you should actually play an old Tekken game & see the difference. Soul Calibur series updates no animations at all since the first Soul Calibur yet people never complain, same for VF which has been using the samw stuff from VF4 & 3 forever. Stop holding Tekken to a ridiculous standard that no other fighting game is held to.

Degen

You know what DOES need a reanimation?

When King does a tackle, then he does the 1+2 armbar followup and presses 1+2 after that, what EVEN is that stupid teabag move??

Actually, tackles in general look pretty dumb lol

AAK

Nothing recycled from Tekken 2? Dude, you're flat out wrong. I don't have time to dig up all these old animations but the things I mentioned earlier like Kazuya's 2+4, Kazuya's back grab, King's Romero stretch, are all from Tekken 2. You can even ask Tekken GAF's resident historian for the Tekken series GrayFoxPL. He can vouch for me.

And yes, I do hold Tekken to a higher standard to VF, SC, DOA. It sells more on consoles AND makes truckloads of money from Arcades by having arcade operators charge them a subscription to use the game along with the 30k cabinets. And I just gave you examples of the other games that make comparable sales to Tekken that re-animate their cast: MKX and SFV. And yes those games have far fewer moves than Tekken but if Namco at least put in the same effort on the presentation as those games did we would see results.

GrayFoxPL

Nothing has been recycled from Tekken 2. That's an ignorant statement. See you don't even know what you are talking about. Maybe you should actually play an old Tekken game & see the difference. Soul Calibur series updates no animations at all since the first Soul Calibur yet people never complain, same for VF which has been using the samw stuff from VF4 & 3 forever. Stop holding Tekken to a ridiculous standard that no other fighting game is held to.

Lol you are joking right? Not long ago we were laughing at a T7 gif of a arm smash reversal that is from Tekken 2. Tons of reversals are still Tekken 2 Paul's right punch reversal, in Tag 2 Wang's arm break reversal, special reversals for reversing eg mishima scissors 4~3 with eg Nina are also Tekken 2 animations.
King has many old multipart animations with the funniest being ff,n,2 ch 1+2 it looks so bad but it's still there. You think stuff like king's bridge in T7/Tag2 is not Tekken 2 old? Think again.

uqkitf.gif

dnyvxz.gif

f,df+2+4 also

jfkmpq.gif

ivcook.gif

People don't even realize how much shit is actually Tekken 2 old shit. Kazama b+3, f+2, f+3(1 spin), Kaz ws+2, Hei's Demon Uppercut, etc. etc. fuck even wind god fist is ancient.

lhhpqt.gif

wiftbx.gif

So maybe before accusing someone of ignorant statements check your intel very carefully because you might come out as a true ignorant.

Seriously I played Tekken 1 and 2 even today, still awesome.

Manbig

Not to continue the dog piling here, but people have complained about the dated animations and sound effects of VF several times. The only reason you probably missed it is because the VF series is just a drop in the small pond that is the niche genre of fighting games.

sasuke_91

Good games boutdown and Numbatista and sorry guys. Inviting you both to one lobby was not possible. Letting one wait for an invitation while I play was pretty rude.
I tried that SSR after Law's b+2,3,4 you posted above but I got hit. Probably because I got hit by 3 or maybe Miguel just has a better sidestep.

Numb

Good games boutdown and Numbatista and sorry guys. Inviting you both to one lobby was not possible. Letting one wait for an invitation while I play was pretty rude.
I tried that SSR after Law's b+2,3,4 you posted above but I got hit. Probably because I got hit by 3 or maybe Miguel just has a better sidestep.

Its cool. I had no idea what the problem was.
Dude you have some crazy defense against law. Nothing i did worked on you.
Picking Eddy on my part was a mistake. Never played him since 5.

Lol you are joking right? Not long ago we were laughing at a T7 gif of a arm smash reversal that is from Tekken 2. Tons of reversals are still Tekken 2 Paul's right punch reversal, in Tag 2 Wang's arm break reversal, special reversals for reversing eg mishima scissors 4~3 with eg Nina are also Tekken 2 animations.
King has many old multipart animations with the funniest being ff,n,2 ch 1+2 it looks so bad but it's still there. You think stuff like king's bridge in T7/Tag2 is not Tekken 2 old? Think again.

uqkitf.gif

dnyvxz.gif

f,df+2+4 also

jfkmpq.gif

ivcook.gif

People don't even realize how much shit is actually Tekken 2 old shit. Kazama b+3, f+2, f+3(1 spin), Kaz ws+2, Hei's Demon Uppercut, etc. etc. fuck even wind god fist is ancient.

lhhpqt.gif

wiftbx.gif

So maybe before accusing someone of ignorant statements check your intel very carefully because you might come out as a true ignorant.

Seriously I played Tekken 1 and 2 even today, still awesome.

You need to get your eyes checked. Can you seriously not see the difference between the gifs you posted? There are way more points or articulation in the new animations. Look at king's fingers, his legs, the way his torso & hips move. For godsake's King's hands don't EVEN OPEN & CLOSE in Tekken 2 gifs.

I mean I dunno what to tell you. That's beem reanimated with more articulation & smoother transitions between the key frames. It's going to look similar cause it's the same damn move.

The only one that is the same is Tekken 3 Heihach

Manbig

You need to get your eyes checked. Can you seriously not see the difference between the gifs you posted? There are way more points or articulation in the new animations. Look at king's fingers, his legs, the way his torso & hips move. For godsake's King's hands don't EVEN OPEN & CLOSE in Tekken 2 gifs.

I mean I dunno what to tell you. That's beem reanimated with more articulation & smoother transitions between the key frames. It's going to look similar cause it's the same damn move.

Was that awkward animation during King's Surfboard Stretch that's supposed to be him slapping the opponent's sides so they feed him their arms that was in there since like Tekken 2 also added in between the keyframes?

And going back to my point. Good animation does not age. Demon Uppercut which is pretty much identicle, looks fine. What's there to improve? Do you just want a brand new animation for the sake of it?

It'd like people bitching about Snow White saying it's old & comparing it to some trash 10 fps Japanese anime that looks way worse but is new.

Was that awkward animation during King's Surfboard Stretch that's supposed to be him slapping the opponent's sides so they feed him their arms also purposely that was in there since like Tekken 2 also added in between the keyframes?

Animation is done in two ways. Straight through(which is rarely done) & pose to pose. In pose to pose you first animate the big transitional points of a movement. It acts as a road map for the animator. Then either the same animator or another goes back & animates the gaps inbetween the animations to complete & smooth out the animations.

So what Im saying is the move looks similar cause they probably went back in & reanimated a lot of the inbetween frames but kept the original key frames while adding the small extra articulation to the hands & other areas.

That is being reanimated. Reanimated does not mean "brand new animation", especially not in the world of 3D animation. Tekken team did a whole bunch of reanimating & just straight up making new animations throughout the whole series. Calling them lazy for not making brand new animations all the time is stupid.

AAK

Very well, then if that's what you consider the definition of Reanimation forget that. Give me "Brand New Animations" And it's not unheard of for King:

ibkhg1BaU1n1wz.gif

ibkOQF91zfKuKM.gif

(not the same move, but you get the point how Giant Swing was completely reanimated in T5. Was just too lazy to make a new Gif)

Like you say how key frames were recycled between Tekken 2 and present for the King's bridge step, there are no key frames recycled for the Giant Swing and Tombstone from Tekken 2 to now. That's what I expect, and if not it drastically hurts the game's presentation. And I'm not just singling out King either, I mentioned Kazuya, there's Nina as well, but another serious offender that I can never accept, the generic reversal to kicks:

ibj9xEvKciJTE4.gif

So many of the Tekken 2 animations are so stiff and the hit effect on the opponents looks generations apart compared to what we see in the characters introduced after Tekken 4.

Sayah

I wish I was rich I would buy a Tekken 7 cab from Namco and stream the game everyday.
Or if Namco makes a system where the game releases on PC and works on the same monetizing system as arcades, I won't mind paying with my paypal account for all the matches I end up playing. And then I'll buy the final console version when that hits.

Tekken 7 is so exciting. It's looking really damn beautiful and there's still more new character underway. It's left me wondering how many new characters we're getting in total.

Pachimari

Just bought Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 after having sold them years ago. Woo, I just don't have a PS2 anymore either.

Anyone up for a match later? I'll use either Law or Bruce. I want to determine how much I suck.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I wish I was rich I would buy a Tekken 7 cab from Namco and stream the game everyday.
Or if Namco makes a system where the game releases on PC and works on the same monetizing system as arcades, I won't mind paying with my paypal account for all the matches I end up playing. And then I'll buy the final console version when that hits.

Tekken 7 is so exciting. It's looking really damn beautiful and there's still more new character underway. It's left me wondering how many new characters we're getting in total.

Didn't Harada state in the 30-35 region?

Sounds like a good number, hope we get some more new charcters if possible.

Pachimari

I think we'll get 1-2 more and then the rest will be returning characters. But that's already a lot of new characters compared to older Tekken games.

sasuke_91

Its cool. I had no idea what the problem was.
Dude you have some crazy defense against law. Nothing i did worked on you.
Picking Eddy on my part was a mistake. Never played him since 5.

Thanks. boutdown always pokes me to death with Law. That dude is so fast.
One wrong move on Eddy in RLX stance and he gets you with his low launcher. I just spam Steve's Sonic Fang on him. Works best for me :p

Didn't Harada state in the 30-35 region?

Sounds like a good number, hope we get some more new charcters if possible.

I just want Jin and Lee to return. Jin more than Lee.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Thanks. boutdown always pokes me to death with Law. That dude is so fast.
One wrong move on Eddy in RLX stance and he gets you with his low launcher. I just spam Steve's Sonic Fang on him. Works best for me :p

I just want Jin and Lee to return. Jin more than Lee.

Jin is far more likely than Lee to return IMO

Manbig

Animation is done in two ways. Straight through(which is rarely done) & pose to pose. In pose to pose you first animate the big transitional points of a movement. It acts as a road map for the animator. Then either the same animator or another goes back & animates the gaps inbetween the animations to complete & smooth out the animations.

So what Im saying is the move looks similar cause they probably went back in & reanimated a lot of the inbetween frames but kept the original key frames while adding the small extra articulation to the hands & other areas.

That is being reanimated. Reanimated does not mean "brand new animation", especially not in the world of 3D animation. Tekken team did a whole bunch of reanimating & just straight up making new animations throughout the whole series. Calling them lazy for not making brand new animations all the time is stupid.

I get all that. You missed my point, which is that it still looks butt fucking ugly. I'm not one of those people that thinks that they need to reanimate a bunch of moves here, but there's plenty of ugly looking stuff that has lingered for a while, and King is probably around the top of the list as far as janky ass looking animations go.

GrayFoxPL

Yes I need to get my eyes checked because I should have seen from the very beginning that I don't deal here with a sensible person but a clown who thinks that adding joints and moving fingers to models that have billion more polygons, makes for a brand new re-animation. But I know why you're babbling these moronic statements. You never played Tekken 2, did you? That's why you were so surprised that this shit is so old and you tried to save your ass with this hilarious: "Look joints are different, key frames, key frames!"

What made me sure about that is that you didn't even recognize Tekken 2 Heihachi. Yes that's not Tekken 3, how any self respecting fan of series can mistake T2 for T3 Hei?

I really, really regret I wasted so much of my time and work to search good videos and make as best gifs as I could just to point out your mistake. But now I see you are one of those who'll rattle on nonsense and play dumb ad infinitum no matter what. Though I'm not sure you are actually playing.

You are on ignore. You were a waste of my time.

Another subject.

Played T6 2 days and it's pretty decent at 4-5 bars. Somehow matches give more "kick". Short, brutal rounds. Very eye pleasing game too, I didn't play it for 3-4 years, I forgot how good it looked.

It feels so much different after Tag2, not only the missing moves, different moves, but hitboxes and movement feels different. Like playing Steve and doing albatros spin against Lili made me end up behind her very often, I didn't see it in Tag2. The flow is different. Matchups like Steve vs Bruce feel so much different then in Tag2.

Did I say how good the customizations look? Damn, high quality, sticking, fitting character models tightly not awkwardly hovering on character bodies making them look fat like in Tag 2.

It actually feels good to comeback to T6. I was expecting major disappointment after putting countless hours into Tag2.

Damn, If this game got Tag2 or Revo netcode it would blow Tag2 out of the water in popularity, I think.

Still many people online play it but 90% are terrible. Yellow rank 8000+wins Bruce did only hopkicks and d+4, seriously. 8000 wins, How?

T6 - still fun stuff.

Sayah

Reason why I'm excited for Tekken going back to 1 v 1.

I played Tekken 6 with boutdown the other day and the game ran surprisingly well online. Like the netcode wasn't even close to as bad as I remember it being. And the 1v1 aspect has a whole different feel to it. TTT2 has these big stages and the fights don't feel as cornered/up close as they did in Tekken 6. It's hard to describe.

Looking at Tekken 7, I think I can say with confidence the game has the best stages in the series. The jungle, snow, coliseum, dojo, apocalyptic NYC, and lava stages are all breathtaking. But the Dragon's Nest remake and the bazaar stage push the game over the edge as far as stages go. Hoping the music is better for the remaining stages left to be revealed.

And please stop getting all serious about this animation fighting. This is the one thread where I usually don't see people getting all hostile. :p

I personally don't care if it's old or updated animations. I agree some of the stuff can look a little jarring and should be updated. At the same time, I'm fine with mostly all the animations and don't consider the Tekken team needs to waste time and money overhauling a bunch of this. I also find it unfair to compare Tekken, VF, and SC with MK and SF. They're different subgenres and the 3D fighters have substantially more animations. But not only that, MK and SF have a different history. SF was dead for over a decade and MK has had various revisions going from 2D to 3D and then back to 2D. Both of them are less stable series. And despite MK being shitty for a long time, it still sold millions based off its fatality and gore features alone (from what I hear). It's only with recent iterations it's been doing more to develop itself as a legitimate competitive fighter (again, from what I read/hear). Despite that, Tekken's old animations still blow away MK's new janky/messy/clunky animations away.

MK has only had about 2 bad games in the mainline. The series has never been competitively good(excluding UMK3 and the recent games) but they were fun fighting games. They weren't really all that bad. I doubt gore and fatalities could sell MK past MK4. It sells mostly on name and content and now adding competitive merit in MK9.

Tekken 6 stages being smaller was a complaint I had for T6 and I liked the larger stages in TTT2 but then Tag Assault kinda made them moot.

GrayFoxPL

Reason why I'm excited for Tekken going back to 1 v 1.

I played Tekken 6 with boutdown the other day and the game ran surprisingly well online. Like the netcode wasn't even close to as bad as I remember it being. And the 1v1 aspect has a whole different feel to it. TTT2 has these big stages and the fights don't feel as cornered/up close as they did in Tekken 6. It's hard to describe.

Looking at Tekken 7, I think I can say with confidence the game has the best stages in the series. The jungle, snow, coliseum, dojo, apocalyptic NYC, and lava stages are all breathtaking. But the Dragon's Nest remake and the bazaar stage push the game over the edge as far as stages go. Hoping the music is better for the remaining stages left to be revealed.

And please stop getting all serious about this animation fighting. This is the one thread where I usually don't see people getting all hostile. :p

I think I know why T6 online seems better now. Now I have 20 times faster internet then back then, lol. Maybe it's closer to what Japanese had those 6 years ago, ha.

Yeah I know what you mean about close in fighting feel of T6.

Don't know about T7 having best stages in the series(jungle and ancient ruins are meh) but Dragon's Nest remake looks insane. More T5 remakes. They would look like artworks.

DR Wolf stage:

iO8T4M97bOya9.gif

jsbbFwbQqQc8V.jpg

Mmmm.

Dereck

There isn't anything particularly remarkable about Tekken 6 online other than the fact that it forces me to be defensive with just one character, and it allows me to focus on just one opponent. Whether that means getting owned up by just one character or not, I can focus on why and not have to worry about when I'm going to tag out.

Numb

I am hyped for Tekken 7 but the nerf to movement makes it seem like everyone is fighting with a ball and chain on their ankles.
Like they have not yet shown their final form or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom