• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manbig

Yea my bad just now seeing the post for some reason

Eh, was hoping for a 1v1 room, but since it's only one other person, I'll stick around. If it fills with more people though, I'm backing out.

EDIT: So yeah, few things more annoying in Tekken than getting clipped out of trying to cancel your movement into block all day long. Such is the frustration of trying to learn stick.

GGs Mike. I went from having 0 idea how to fight Beak to learning one thing. I worked a tiny bit on an option select movement to eliminate the "mix up" after those two kicks that look like Hwo's WS4,4 where Baek does a mid or low in the end. SSR kills the mid and when I add a quick duck to the mix, the low loses out too. When I was able to input it properly, it worked out pretty well. Good tool to kill scrubby Baeks, but you seemed to pick up on what I was doing really quick and changed up your timing some. Good on you for that one.

Yeah I could see the lack of Baek experience when I was continuously transitioning through all of my FLA stuff no problem lol. I liked the SSR then duck to kill the "mixup" though, never seen that tried before that does get beat out by my tracking options though. Usually people try to jab Baek out of FLA that's why I even attempt the low in the first place. It also tracks to Baek's left too in case people wanna SSR and Jab.

But the key to beating a typical Baek is pretty much jabbing them out. I had to figure out how to get around that and people constantly SSing me. One thing I learned about Baek and maybe Tekken in general is that people won't block everything 100% of the time. Don't let people kill your options.

Manbig

I used to just randomly try to jab him out of stuff without really knowing when it was appropriate. This time I just tried to use movement instead, because I had no idea when he was safe, or at advantage.

I used to just randomly try to jab him out of stuff without really knowing when it was appropriate. This time I just tried to use movement instead, because I had no idea when he was safe, or at advantage.

You jab after you block everything before the last hit of the string pretty much or just before he can cancel into FLA.

GrayFoxPL

Seems like Epic Games accidentally revealed Tekken 7 release platforms in their Unreal Engine 4 trailer. They took it down, but too late.

iYO798RQUYc8u.jpg

That PC version is looking insane.

iU0mPVIcb4P84.jpg

Numb

Seems like Epic Games accidentally revealed Tekken 7 release platforms in their Unreal Engine 4 trailer. They took it down, but too late.

iYO798RQUYc8u.jpg

That PC version is looking insane.

iU0mPVIcb4P84.jpg
Atleast now i can still keep my old ass PC instead of upgrading.

I can undertand that Devil Asuka has a bigger chance of being in the game before Jinpachi now but where the hell is Mokujin? I know no sane person cares or uses him as much as i do but i never said i was sane.

Just realized i never watched the endings in TTT2 ever. I just automatically went to versus, practice and online that i never got to go anywhere else beyond the first week.
Got a pizza and gonna watch that shit

EDIT: Just finished watching them.
Oh my god why is the Combat ending so damn dark. Never expected that.

Chainsaw beard Jinpachi is the greatest idea ever. I hope we get cyborg old people one day

tytuitit.jpg

Manbig

Okay, I'm sick to fucking death of fighting Lei. I'm about to strap on and learn this fucking match up already. From range, that fucking f,f3 picks you up all day long, and he has no trouble getting in your face with razer rush, which is incredibly difficult to interrupt, and then when he's in your face, it's mix up city with his stance transitions that make him more evasive than a regular sidestep. He even has a Kazama esque b3 that will go under everything! At least his doesn't launch I guess.

So yeah, if anyone has some legit advice on fighting this piece of shit, feel free to share. I will hit up training mode when I get a chance to find out some of my own shit later on.

GrayFoxPL

Okay, I'm sick to fucking death of fighting Lei. I'm about to strap on and learn this fucking match up already. From range, that fucking f,f3 picks you up all day long, and he has no trouble getting in your face with razer rush, which is incredibly difficult to interrupt, and then when he's in your face, it's mix up city with his stance transitions that make him more evasive than a regular sidestep. He even has a Kazama esque b3 that will go under everything! At least his doesn't launch I guess.

So yeah, if anyone has some legit advice on fighting this piece of shit, feel free to share. I will hit up training mode when I get a chance to find out some of my own shit later on.

People are way over thinking when fighting Lei. The more free time and space you give him the more power to him. Like when he suddenly goes into sleep/play dead stance there's no reason to not attack him right away preferably by jumping attack that hits grounded, he can't do shit, his options from this are slow. Only after 3~4, 4, 4 D guard break he has enough advantage on block.

Sidewalking good way to avoid razor rush and discourage going into stances.

Also since T6 Lei can't do his play dead/relax moves just from knockdown so if he is hit out of it he must go in the stance again and that takes frames. Knocking him down and destroying him grounded before he tries to re-stance is not that hard.

Generally be aggressive don't give him any time start his shit and you'll be fine. Otherwise you are dancing to Lei's tune.

Hope this helps a little.

av2k

Lei has the tools to play very aggressively and annoyingly. I find that back dash cancelling against him at mid range is a bad idea because ff+3 easily catches, even more so online.

I find this guide helps out a lot as well:
http://www.wikihow.com/Beat-Anyone-at-Tekken

AAK

My sanity depends on a PC version... Namco Pls

And despite MK being shitty for a long time, it still sold millions based off its fatality and gore features alone (from what I hear). It's only with recent iterations it's been doing more to develop itself as a legitimate competitive fighter (again, from what I read/hear).

I never played MK9 competitively but I will admit that game was a ton of fun. Even if you took out the gore from the title there was still some really good design in there.

But alas, I'll close by simply saying that Tekken 2 was hugely successful and yet still Namco tried hard with Tekken 3, and then with Tekken Tag which was a monumental success they tried hard with updating the games visuals with T4. T4 was a failure to Namco and they went leagues into the presentation of Tekken 5, especially when they introduced the grab specific throw breaks.

Despite Tekken always being a stable franchise Namco used to put a ton of effort in their presentation. I just want to have that feeling again :(

Tekken 7 debut at Final Round 18 in Atlanta.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/03/03/tekken-7-to-make-north-american-debut-at-final-round-18/

I'm sure you guys probably already know about this or posted it somewhere before, but can anyone attend this if they just want to try out Tekken 7? Sounds like it is for competitors only. This might be my only opportunity to try out the game before the inevitably lengthy wait for the home versions. I haven't played on arcade stick in about..........er......many years, so that scares me a little.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/03/03/tekken-7-to-make-north-american-debut-at-final-round-18/

I'm sure you guys probably already know about this or posted it somewhere before, but can anyone attend this if they just want to try out Tekken 7? Sounds like it is for competitors only. This might be my only opportunity to try out the game before the inevitably lengthy wait for the home versions. I haven't played on arcade stick in about..........er......many years, so that scares me a little.

Of course Final Round is open to anyone. You can register on the site or at the door (for more $$). IIRC the T7 American tour will be held on devkits, possibly with the option to use any controller you want.

Its like $20 at the door to spectate and play casuals and such. Didn't know you were from Atlanta or at least the south lol.

Of course Final Round is open to anyone. You can register on the site or at the door (for more $$). IIRC the T7 American tour will be held on devkits, possibly with the option to use any controller you want.

Oh, I see. Thanks. I'm new to all of this.

Its like $20 at the door to spectate and play casuals and such. Didn't know you were from Atlanta or at least the south lol.

I've been living in Georgia for most of my life and Atlanta is approximately 45 minutes from my home. Feels like I've been here forever haha. Thinking about registering just to get a chance to play it if I get time, but I am afraid I will get annihilated because of the new mechanics and since I haven't played Tekken in so long lol. I would play TTT2 for some practice, but my PS3 rarely reads discs now.

Dereck

Oh, I see. Thanks. I'm new to all of this.

I've been living in Georgia for most of my life and Atlanta is approximately 45 minutes from my home. Feels like I've been here forever haha. Thinking about registering just to get a chance to play it if I get time, but I am afraid I will get annihilated because of the new mechanics and since I haven't played Tekken in so long lol. I would play TTT2 for some practice, but my PS3 rarely reads discs now.
Why do you always put so many spaces between your quotes, do you browse on your phone a lot?

Lol you shouldn't worry about getting beat or whatever. You don't actually have to enter anything. Just go to play T7 and watch good matches from all fighting games. Well not all the games but the main games being played.

joeblow

Good anti-Lei strats require a decent knowledge of the character, but there are some general stuff you can do against average players that'll work well.

Against Razor Rush, you can sidewalk it at range (stepping is a bit trickier sometimes). However, if you are blocking the punches, don't panic. You can actually neutral guard while you look to react to what he does.

If you blocked RR punches and see a sidestep, you have a good advantage. A simple d+1 will stop almost anything he tries since there are no quick low crush attacks in any of his five animal stances from RR. Most times you can try something bigger - 15f hop kicks are nice since they punish low attacks, but might floated by quick highs if you react too slowly.

All of this anti-RR stance transition stuff only works if you block the RR punch before his SS. If you got hit, you still can sometimes interrupt but it is much tougher.

When you are ready to try advanced anti RR strats, focus on the stance he goes into and respond smartly. Just know that if tries to RR + 1 or 2 punches before a SS into a stance (Snake or Dragon), he is baiting to CH you with a quick or evasive high/mid that you can stand and block. The lows in those stances are pokes, and the Dragon stance throw looks like a 1+2 break, but is always a 1 break. So stand there, break the throw, and don't worry.

If he tries to RR + 3 or 4 punches before a SS into a stance (Panther or Tiger), he is going for slower but more powerful mixup. A hop kick easily stops all options except if he parries you from Tiger stance for a small advantage. You launch the sweeps and interrupt the mids.

Again, if a RR punch hit you, the mixup is tougher to handle. Against Panther, you might accept the low sweep since you don't get launched. If you block the uppercut launcher, be sure to i10 punish it. Against Tiger, the sweep is the most dangerous option he has - none of the Tiger mids launch without a CH.

If Lei does all 4 RR punches, he has the mid/low kick mixup. The low only hurts a lot if it CHs you for a juggle. The mid kick however can be sidestepped either side if you blocked the punch preceding it. Don't worry about the 5th animal stance (Crane) after a full RR + midkick option. It is easy to react to if you choose to block the midkick.

Against ff+3, the main defense is to block and i14 punish. Step and walk are possible, but inconsistent because of the f,f input. It tracks decently both ways, can crush jabs early on and crushes lows late. It is a good move.

Space him when his back is turned, looking to block and punish the slow sweep. If he is close enough to abuse his quick backturned, low punches (BT d+1), know that he has a very good advantage if it hits. He can continue to spam more of them, and because they are elbows they cannot be low parried. They also can't be launched (when he has +frames) by any except the fastest aerial attacks (like Asuka's Can-Can kicks - d+3+4). Lei's BT low punches also track both sides, so spacing is the best defense for this stance as his BT mids have weak range except for one kick with low damage.

He has a lot more options overall obviously (Phoenix stance, Drunken stance, four ground positions, his poking game, SS attacks, etc), but the tips above should help a bit.

Manbig

I wouldn't say that..he's just a got a Kanye sized ego for someone who hasn't done anything yet...

The other egotisitcal top players in FGs usually can back their shit up like Filipino Champ.

Also, not every top American Tekken player acts like that to such an extreme extent. I had the pleasure of very briefly meeting KOR a very long time ago. If I recall, it was around the time Clash 2007 happened where both him and Crow came down and played a few games at Chinatown Fair. Dude was a very nice guy to everyone. I have yet to see him do anything really stupid in a public setting either. Av Kazama can obviously speak a lot more to how he is in person than I can, but from what I know of him, dude is totally alright.

EDIT: Thank you very much to both GreyFox and JoeBlow. That anti Razor Rush stuff especially. Unfortunately, I play a hopkickless team, but just knowing that there are some prime opportunities to stop his momentum with quick mids is enough for me right now.

GrayFoxPL

Glad I could help. Yeah, Lei's not so scary once you limit his shenanigans. I can imagine Marduk can stomp him real good if he's on ground.

Good finds Have a Nice Day!

av2k

Also, not every top American Tekken player acts like that to such an extreme extent. I had the pleasure of very briefly meeting KOR a very long time ago. If I recall, it was around the time Clash 2007 happened where both him and Crow came down and played a few games at Chinatown Fair. Dude was a very nice guy to everyone. I have yet to see him do anything really stupid in a public setting either. Av Kazama can obviously speak a lot more to how he is in person than I can, but from what I know of him, dude is totally alright.

EDIT: Thank you very much to both GreyFox and JoeBlow. That anti Razor Rush stuff especially. Unfortunately, I play a hopkickless team, but just knowing that there are some prime opportunities to stop his momentum with quick mids is enough for me right now.

Yeah Kor is a chill guy, though he is known for not taking losses too well sometimes at tournaments. He never holds a grudges vs anyone and always shakes their hand afterwards, he's mostly angry at himself. Though I guess most top players do that because they have so much passion in the game. I feel high level tekken takes so much out of you, which makes me happy that I'm no longer playing tournament style Tekken anymore. So stressful.

I'm going to his house after work today to help him practice for his two upcoming tournaments as well as do some drinking and eating. I always make fun of him "retiring". Anywho, anything you guys would like me to ask him tonight?

GrayFoxPL

Damn there are new intros for characters but people are skipping them. I've seen about 4 more besides those but I know they are new just from few beginning frames since players are mashing start, lol.

giphy.gif

isMmysGi2LghA.gif

Yeah Kor is a chill guy, though he is known for not taking losses too well sometimes at tournaments. He never holds a grudges vs anyone and always shakes their hand afterwards, he's mostly angry at himself. Though I guess most top players do that because they have so much passion in the game. I feel high level tekken takes so much out of you, which makes me happy that I'm no longer playing tournament style Tekken anymore. So stressful.

I'm going to his house after work today to help him practice for his two upcoming tournaments as well as do some drinking and eating. I always make fun of him "retiring". Anywho, anything you guys would like me to ask him tonight?

Is he going to FR? I know he's going to Lionz Den.

I'd like to ask him his opinion on T7. Haven't heard him or many top players opinions on it so far we just have wack players or people who kneejerk at everything.

Oh and Steve's looks like the movements from the T5 intro

GrayFoxPL

Some newest things I noted from T7

Many moves don't knockdown anymore (on normal?):

Steve's db+2

Kaz's df+1,4

King's ff+1

Lars'eseses b+1+2

Law has new low kick from dss.

ir0liczZz8UYd.gif

Hwo's b+2 causes new "spin around" stagger on hit (ch?)

giphy.gif

Steve's 1,1,2 last hit is not an elbow now but straight punch. Can go into ducking/sway after last hit. May not be delayable anymore?

Leo's Rage art startup animation changed?

giphy.gif

Bonus: Hwo still not too bad.

http://media.giphy.com/media/5Q4u4nXiCzEsTPd5YNG/giphy.gif

Btw I think Rage still adds damage, doesn't seem that it's only for Rage Arts.

CSX

Lili has a unblockable kick coming from her new infinite twirling mixups just like Asuka....

Calling it now, the bullshit story in Tekken 7 has these two becoming BFFs and learning shit from each other

DEATH™

Lili has a unblockable kick coming from her new infinite twirling mixups just like Asuka....

Calling it now, the bullshit story in Tekken 7 has these two becoming BFFs and learning shit from each other

I think Namco is countlessly implying that they went farther than BFFs...

Or maybe it's just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom