• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Manbig

There is something about Jinmaster trying to steal someone's equipment at a tournament or something. I don't know the details... but I suppose it's because of that there's a soft blacklist of his name at locals and that's why he doesn't show himself around anymore?

I was trying to dance around talking about this one since I wasn't there and everything I know about it is hearsay. lol

Only thing I heard was that dude tried to steal a laptop and got caught. Don't know if it was true or not.

You don't put the settings to within 2 ranks only?

I have it set to the default. Those guys play a ton of characters, though. Some of them may be low ranked, but I can't compete with someone with that much experience.

Don't let the win/loss ratios scare you. They might have just gotten those victories playing a lot of player matches. W/L ratio/rank doesn't really matter that much especially when you have pullers and rage quitters online.

The second guy's ratio is even higher in ranked. ;_;

Trust me when I say they are far beyond my level. It's good practice at least!

BTW I forgot, I made a GIF about this a while ago during Tekken Busters. At our level we usually just block and wait. BUT if you're a Korean, your backdashing skills might be good enough to do the things you see below instead against people that push buttons:

ib0N9t7qkUTEV9.gif

Feng going with a low crush, Law going straight away into a mid into a launcher string, etc. They look really subtle and easy, but wow doing those backdashes with confidence does take practice.

Feng's hopkick is so terrible. Don't even need a korean backdash, just press back once and it'll whiff. :lol

Manbig

Hey, Sayah. I recall hearing that you're in New Jersey? If so, there's a Tri-State area facebook group that all the top local players use to contact each other about sessions and post up tournament schedules. You should really take a peek and consider attending some stuff. Someone with your skill level sticking to online only is waste of your talents.

Anyone else from the Tri-State area should check it out too.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/nytekken/

Pachimari

Guys, have you seen this Michelle Chang artwork anywhere with just her in it?

XEjdd9ul.png

I want to make myself a new Tekken avatar as I start to get back into it again.

Sayah

I finished Tekken Takes Tokyo. Really amazing. So much heart and soul in this series. Makes me desperately wish I was working in the Tekken project. And makes me upset Tag 2 isn't selling like 5 million copies.

Also, this music...............can't believe I'm just hearing this.
Hey, Sayah. I recall hearing that you're in New Jersey? If so, there's a Tri-State area facebook group that all the top local players use to contact each other about sessions and post up tournament schedules. You should really take a peek and consider attending some stuff. Someone with your skill level sticking to online only is waste of your talents.

Anyone else from the Tri-State area should check it out too.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/nytekken/

Bleh. It's on facebook. I haven't used Facebook in the longest time now. Thanks for letting me know about this, though. I literally was in NYC for an internship right up until Tag 2 released. My internship ended September 10 and Tag 2 released on the 11th. Really would have been more convenient for me to attend these things if I was still there. But the commute time and cost now is way too much for me. But I am starting grad school in the fall in New York so hopefully it'll become easier then.

qcf+2

There you go haha.

But seriously, Deathfist has made me pull some serious comebacks.

It's crazy how much damage it takes, haha.

The fuck is ElNeef? Almost won that one.

Look out for those guys. I think I remember playing that individual on "da Villians" before. Don't remember the outcome since we were both sort of relatively new to TTT2 if I remember accurately. I got a friend who is on that team and most of them are excellent players. My friend is really good at the game and he says he can barely beat any members of da Villians. Could be one of the reasons why he doesn't really play TTT2 that much anymore.

Nyx

Been awhile since I played this game so last night I went online with it and won several games!

Love the matchmaking which still is pretty fast as well.

Still rocking Kuni/Jun online!

edit: btw, any EU rooms up at night?

AAK

Been awhile since I played this game so last night I went online with it and won several games!

Love the matchmaking which still is pretty fast as well.

Still rocking Kuni/Jun online!

edit: btw, any EU rooms up at night?

Doomshine, Anastacio, and GrayFoxPL are the men you want to talk to to get some online matches.

Speaking of Europe, if anyone didn't catch the Finnish tournament's top 4, I HIGHLY recommend viewing them here:

http://www.twitch.tv/ptprautanyrkki/b/381713382

Their skill is incredible.

AAK

Might as well look at the inspiration to the character while we're at it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlbF3s__4Tg

It's these kind of things that define Tekken... and it's these kind of things I hope Namco takes inspiration from to make the SF Cast. Screw Ryu/ken's helicopter levitation and Cammy's barrell roll spin that magically translates horizontally as well. Those moves don't belong in Tekken. Make Ryu/Ken legit Shotokan Karate users. Make Cammy a legit Krav Maga or something user. REAL fighting styles please.

Dereck

It's these kind of things that define Tekken... and it's these kind of things I hope Namco takes inspiration from to make the SF Cast. Screw Ryu/ken's helicopter levitation and Cammy's barrell roll spin that magically translates horizontally as well. Those moves don't belong in Tekken. Make Ryu/Ken legit Shotokan Karate users. Make Cammy a legit Krav Maga or something user. REAL fighting styles please.
I've never seen this video, thanks AAK.

DEATH™

But 2D people would complain bro... Just imagine the FGC backlash.

If the FGC actually were fans of martial arts, 3D fighters would be the biggest thing here and people won't complain about Tekken (and 3D games in general) hard to understand.

AAK

DEATH™;51634239 said:
But 2D people would complain bro... Just imagine the FGC backlash.

If the FGC actually were fans of martial arts, 3D fighters would be the biggest thing here and people won't complain about Tekken (and 3D games in general) hard to understand.

Which is why I'm very pessimistic about TxSF. The 2 series don't mix well and I probably will play the other fighting game I'm really looking forward to instead *cough*
Virtua Fighter 6
*cough*.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though :)

DEATH™

Which is why I'm very pessimistic about TxSF. The 2 series don't mix well and I probably will play the other fighting game I'm really looking forward to instead *cough*
Virtua Fighter 6
*cough*

TBH in gameplay standpoint, it could work great. Just give the SF chars their icon moves and give them solid Tekken moves that covers what they need in the Tekken engine. Hadouken alone will halt backdash-cancels good enough so basically it works like a homing move against backdashers. Works like a running 3... Shoryuken can work as a launcher, and helicopter kicks can go out of the window (yeah... too unrealistic I agree. But it's gonna come there, might as well make it work like Kaz uf4444 at the wall...

But still, I do hope though that they won't pander in the SF/Marvel/Capcom audience too much. I don't want a dumbed down game just to please the players that will complain about everything anyways. Might as well make Tekken 2D. I want nice movelist and infinite strategy/tactical ceiling game.

and TBH I wished VF just made a deal with Tekken instead of DOA. We can fill the remining spots in the top row with VF chars Kreygasm

P.S. We won't get VF6 until after three revisions... I'm dead serious

Sayah

If TKXSF ends up being a failure, I still have SSB4 to look forward to. :)

Though, I won't blame the Tekken team if TKXSF ends up being an even bigger failure than SFXTK. Their job is 20 times harder translating 2D characters into a 3D environment. But I will always remain optimistic with this team. They've done wonders with the Tekken series and I expect nothing less from the biggest crossover of the two most popular fighting games.

Edit: Let me reword that. SFXTK wasn't a failure in the gameplay department. Tekken characters made a very nice debut into 2D gameplay. It was a failure in many other areas, though.

DEATH™

What does TTT2 GAF think of SFxT? I didn't care for it at all, and I usually like Capcom crossovers.

What game?

EDIT It's possible too that TxSF can be the T4 of this generation. Where people will realize how good the current engine was if they decide to change the engine to favor the complainers who want "innovation" and "change" and easier more braindead game... We can end up with a totally broken game... Either way, it's a huge risk which TBH is a little reward and bigger risk involved...

AAK

I don't mean "dumbed down" I mean, just because it's 2D doesn't necessarily mean the gameplay is dumbed down. The 3rd dimension in Tekken is pretty much analagous to the vertical aspect of 2D games. I.E. KOFXIII I believe has as much depth as Tekken despite having less mechanics.

I'm just talking strictly of the way the gameplay is aesthetically designed and the properties those moves have. Those mechanics don't fit in a Tekken world and I just want Namco to abandon them and make those character real live representations of the Martial Art that character specializes in.

As for SFxT... I like it 10x more than SF4.

EDIT: BUT I like KOFXIII WAY MORE... sadly the online is Mortal Kombat 9 levels of bad.

MikeMyers

DEATH™;51635925 said:
What game?

EDIT It's possible too that TxSF can be the T4 of this generation. Where people will realize how good the current engine was if they decide to change the engine to favor the complainers who want "innovation" and "change" and easier more braindead game... We can end up with a totally broken game... Either way, it's a huge risk which TBH is a little reward and bigger risk involved...

To be honest I liked Tekken 4, although I do remember how it and TTT1 basically divided the community.

I
As for SFxT... I like 10x more than SF4.

My favourite Capcom fighter is SFxT.

Sayah

What does TTT2 GAF think of SFxT? I didn't care for it at all, and I usually like Capcom crossovers.

I enjoyed it for what it was but there are/were too many negatives surrounding the game.

Vanilla SFXTK had a completely useless "comeback" mode (aka pandora) that no one ever wanted to use and the only time it was used by people was on accident. This makes me question what the devs were thinking when they were making this feature. Following that, we also have neon colors which can be very detracting for some people from the actual gameplay experience. Then there's the whole DLC issues. You don't advertise characters in a cinematic trailer (Cody and Guy) and not release them on launch day and make people wait months before they can get their hands on them. Following that, there's also gems. Which again was a nickel and dime move by Capcom. I don't if I should blame the devs on this or the executives or both. Finally, you have the art style and the hit effects. SFIV as an older game looks better than SFXTK. The character models are better. The stage backgrounds are better. The hit effects are better. As I said earlier, too many negatives surrounding SFXTK.

But as far as gameplay goes, it's definitely fun and fulfilling. Which makes me hope they can make a sequel to SFXTK, remove all of the negatives mentioned above, add more positives and redeem themselves. A patch update one year later may not be enough to rejuvenate interest.

AAK

DEATH™;51635460 said:
P.S. We won't get VF6 until after three revisions... I'm dead serious

And at least 2 of those revisions will be on console, most probably the first and third... just like with VF5 ;)

DEATH™

I don't mean "dumbed down" I mean, just because it's 2D doesn't necessarily mean the gameplay is dumbed down. The 3rd dimension in Tekken is pretty much analagous to the vertical aspect of 2D games. I.E. KOFXIII I believe has as much depth as Tekken despite having less mechanics.

I'm just talking strictly of the way the gameplay is aesthetically designed and the properties those moves have. Those mechanics don't fit in a Tekken world and I just want Namco to abandon them and make those character real live representations of the Martial Art that character specializes in.

But it's capcom fighter we talk about here. KOF is pretty good but then most capcom players didn't accept it as much as we thought even after that amazing EVO showing (netcode is not an excuse).

Look, I can envision the SF chars to have the same 4 button input, where they will have different and multiple commands for focus attacks (can be treated as sabakis), charge (can be FC moves or stance moves), and even have a specific command for high jumps (like Kuni's u+3 or Lars uf+3+4). There's a lot of possibilities. But that also means you're gonna turn away the SF people since there will be "too much to memorize" movelist. I can see how alot of things can work out, the question is will the SF people accept it? Most of the time no, especially if it's not like their beloved game (see AE players trying to play SFxT like AE and complains about it).

Look, I doubted the Tekken team too before in TTT2. First, I'm trying to wrap around how will they do tag at walls, then they made the jump tag. I doubt about how will we control two chars at combos, they made tag assault easy to do (and less clunky too, not to mention giving depth to Bound). I doubt about the game being broken because of walls and TA combos being too good, Tag Crash came in. What I'm saying is Tekken team has a good track record so don't worry about it...

DEATH™

I enjoyed it for what it was but there are/were too many negatives surrounding the game.

Vanilla SFXTK had a completely useless "comeback" mode (aka pandora) that no one ever wanted to use and the only time it was used by people was on accident. This makes me question what the devs were thinking when they were making this feature. Following that, we also have neon colors which can be very detracting for some people from the actual gameplay experience. Then there's the whole DLC issues. You don't advertise characters in a cinematic trailer (Cody and Guy) and not release them on launch day and make people wait months before they can get their hands on them. Following that, there's also gems. Which again was a nickel and dime move by Capcom. I don't if I should blame the devs on this or the executives or both. Finally, you have the art style and the hit effects. SFIV as an older game looks better than SFXTK. The character models are better. The stage backgrounds are better. The hit effects are better. As I said earlier, too many negatives surrounding SFXTK.

But as far as gameplay goes, it's definitely fun and fulfilling. Which makes me hope they can make a sequel to SFXTK, remove all of the negatives mentioned above, add more positives and redeem themselves. A patch update one year later may not be enough to rejuvenate interest.

About pandora, remember the time where everybody complained about ultras and x-factor plaguing capcom games? The devs tried to say "Hey this game doesn't appease to noobs by adding a scrubby comeback mechanic", hence the pandora. It's just there to be there...

MikeMyers

I would probably go with MvC3 as my favorite Capcom fighter this gen. Mostly because Trish is one of the most fun to play characters ever.

Wait, I meant to say CVS2, I have no idea why I typed SFXT....haha.

Speaking of which, I hear CVS2 is coming to PSN.

Sayah

Wait, I meant to say CVS2, I have no idea why I typed SFXT....haha.

Speaking of which, I hear CVS2 is coming to PSN.

I've never played CvS2. Kind of sad but smash bros. and tekken have dominated my gaming life since the very beginning. I just cycle around these two series.

DEATH™;51638103 said:
About pandora, remember the time where everybody complained about ultras and x-factor plaguing capcom games? The devs tried to say "Hey this game doesn't appease to noobs by adding a scrubby comeback mechanic", hence the pandora. It's just there to be there...

It's just there to be there so it may as well not be there. lol. It ended up just being a waste of time/resources. Though, I guess it did tie in with the story. And I think it is more useful now with the 2013 update so that's good.

AAK

I love the Tekken team, they made console TTT2... which is the greatest thing I've ever played.

BUT, their track record is only good because of the arcade culture behind it. Except T3, every Tekken game originally had glaring with issues.

TTT1: 1/5 cast were viable, never changed
T4: nothing needs to be said, never fixed
T5: Steve,Nina,Bryan,(Feng) --> Fixed in T5DR
T6.0: Bob/Kazuya --> Fixed in T6BR (T6.0 Pre-patch was madness: (Get 2 bounds in a combo with wall, King BT grab glitch at the wall, among others)
TTT2: Hwoarang + Overall Damage --> Fixed in TTT2U

It took them at least a year from the original release to get to the quality we have in the console version. Unfortunately for TxSF, they don't have a year. They have to get it right when it ships on the console disk since there won't be any arcade release for them to flesh the game out like they did in the past 3 titles. And getting it right the first time... is pretty rare.

But that's not unique to Namco. Capcom themselves also got CvS and SFxT wrong the first time. We had to wait wait for CvS2 and SFxT2013 to get things right. I personally feel that Namco won't get TxSF right the first time either... and the way things are going for this crossover series, I'm afraid there won't be a demand for a 2nd one.

Dereck

Virtua Fighter 6
*cough*.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though :)
What if Harada cancels it?

DEATH™

I love the Tekken team, they made console TTT2... which is the greatest thing I've ever played.

BUT, their track record is only good because of the arcade culture behind it. Except T3, every Tekken game originally had glaring with issues.

TTT1: 1/5 cast were viable, never changed
T4: nothing needs to be said, never fixed
T5: Steve,Nina,Bryan,(Feng) --> Fixed in T5DR
T6.0: Bob/Kazuya --> Fixed in T6BR (T6.0 Pre-patch was madness: (Get 2 bounds in a combo with wall, King BT grab glitch at the wall, among others)
TTT2: Hwoarang + Overall Damage --> Fixed in TTT2U

It took them at least a year from the original release to get to the quality we have in the console version. Unfortunately for TxSF, they don't have a year. They have to get it right when it ships on the console disk since there won't be any arcade release for them to flesh the game out like they did in the past 3 titles. And getting it right the first time... is pretty rare.

But that's not unique to Namco. Capcom themselves also got CvS and SFxT wrong the first time. We had to wait wait for CvS2 and SFxT2013 to get things right. I personally feel that Namco won't get TxSF right the first time either... and the way things are going for this crossover series, I'm afraid there won't be a demand for a 2nd one.

Yeah that's the sucky part, which is why I wish TxSF will have a arcade release or even a beta of some sorts. We need koreans testing this in green.

Sayah

So arcade players are our beta testers.
j/k

Well, patches have become common now. I'm sure if there are issues, they'll be able to resolve them sooner rather than later. The new characters not in the arcade version still had issues in TTT2 console release (a la Kuni ducking mids and Ogre infinite kicks). They were able to resolve those matters rather quickly. Unless there are some big crazy issue(s), I don't think it's anything a patch can't fix.

And it was fun seeing Hwoarang become S tier for some time so it wasn't all bad.

SCV was also console only and got balance patches (albeit too early in the life of the game without fixing everything), so there is precedence in Namco to fix a console only fighter. As long as nothing is super duper broken it should be fine.

AAK

SCV was also console only and got balance patches (albeit too early in the life of the game without fixing everything), so there is precedence in Namco to fix a console only fighter. As long as nothing is super duper broken it should be fine.

I unfortunately never played SCV.... but I thought the general consensus was that the patch made the game significantly less fun. I could be wrong though.

DEATH™

I unfortunately never played SCV.... but I thought the general consensus was that the patch made the game significantly less fun. I could be wrong though.

What I heard is they never fixed Viola... She was the Hilde of SCV right now...

P.S. this got me to thinking... How will they model Cammy's default in TxSF? That thing is PG on SF engine but Rated R on Tekken engine... and will she finally have some pants?

Sayah

DEATH™;51641919 said:
What I heard is they never fixed Viola... She was the Hilde of SCV right now...

P.S. this got me to thinking... How will they model Cammy's default in TxSF? That thing is PG on SF engine but Rated R on Tekken engine... and will she finally have some pants?

Probably will be at the same level as Anna's octopus costume.

DEATH™

Probably will be at the same level as Anna's octopus costume.

Anna's costume wasn't showing her full bottom at least (and the octopus thing is more distracting than annoying)... Cammy's default as currently as it is would be rated R unless Namco successfully overshadows it with something else, like how they made Unknown a creepy goo boss first and naked lady second.

Sorry for the random question in the middle of all of this interesting discussion, but I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with learning Jun. Kunimitsu, on the other hand...

So I thought I'd try Xiaoyu and Jun together, but in terms of point and anchor the characters feel somewhat..similar? Who would be better as a point or anchor?

AAK

Also, now that we're talkinga bout outfits I have the SFxT artbook:

And in that, it shows (tiny pictures ) of the scrapped DLC outfits. Cammy also had prototypes for a Dragunov and Nina alt before going with the King alt. Chun Li had a Dr. B, Kunimitsu, and Marduk prototype as well aside from the Panda outfit.

DEATH™

Sorry for the random question in the middle of all of this interesting discussion, but I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with learning Jun. Kunimitsu, on the other hand...

So I thought I'd try Xiaoyu and Jun together, but in terms of point and anchor the characters feel somewhat..similar? Who would be better as a point or anchor?

Put Xiaoyu on point IMO. But in the end it won't matter anyways, just hold 5 before the round starts if you think your "anchor" will be better in a situation...

EDIT AAK, can we see?

if it won't get you in trouble of course

-------------

Wonkey with the goods

aeolk.jpg

Oh lili... I see a young Anna in you...

AAK

I'm feeling lazy but this is a cell phone pic. I think I can risk this... I don't think mods care as much about 1 pic.

iObvUY2zjw0XP.jpg

Top Bottom