• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Sorry for the random question in the middle of all of this interesting discussion, but I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with learning Jun. Kunimitsu, on the other hand...

So I thought I'd try Xiaoyu and Jun together, but in terms of point and anchor the characters feel somewhat..similar? Who would be better as a point or anchor?

I think Jun as anchor and Xiaoyu on point is good. Also, Jun with rage is better than Xiaoyu with rage.

That would be so lame If they gave Cammy pants.

You know you all want it. >.>

Markduk to get Cammy cross-over costume in TKXSF confirmed.

AAK

This came up in related videos. Damn, if the game models look like this.

No, those are fake, they came from this artist from CGhub:

http://cghub.com/images/view/17934/

DEATH™;51643245 said:
aeolk.jpg

That looks nothing like Lili haha

Sayah

Oh yeah, I know they're fake. But I can imagine the game models looking like that if we're working with PS4 technology.

DEATH™;51645273 said:
It's possible in PS4. But yeah...

Kuni's redesign was awesome, so I don't see why Namco wouldn't try doing that... It looks pretty boss...

EDIT beaten, but the point still stands...

I still would have liked cyber Kunimitsu.

AAK

Oh yeah, I know they're fake. But I can imagine the game models looking like that if we're working with PS4 technology.

It would look cool... BUT personally, I'd rather have PS3 level models with VF5FS/T6BR levels of customization. I'm scared if they go that detailed... it won't be feasible to make those customizations I actually love in these games :)

AAK

One last thing about the SFxT, I would love for TxSF have a similar versus screen as seen in the top right seen here:

ijCkdtzockwjW.jpg

DEATH™

What I only want is 110 chars in TxSF. 55 for Tekken, 55 for SF. Scrubs won't complain anyway since Mika and Karin would be there.

Even if the system ends up broken, it would still be a classic...

Sayah

woah, what the heeeeeeell?? ^^^^ Why didn't SFXTK team use the top character select. It's clearly the better one.
DEATH™;51646089 said:
What I only want is 110 chars in TxSF. 55 for Tekken, 55 for SF. Scrubs won't complain anyway since Mika and Karin would be there.

Honestly, I really would dread that. Way too many matchups to learn.

It would look cool... BUT personally, I'd rather have PS3 level models with VF5FS/T6BR levels of customization. I'm scared if they go that detailed... it won't be feasible to make those customizations I actually love in these games :)

Maybe with PS4 technology, they can do both. I know SCV looks gorgeous/has a lot of detail and the customization is great in that game.

Shunya Yamashita's new artbook "Beautiful Noise" was just released and it looks like it has all of his Tekken Tag 2 art. Now I gotta get it so I can see the full art of all the console characters.

GrayFoxPL

Might as well look at the inspiration to the character while we're at it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlbF3s__4Tg

It's these kind of things that define Tekken... and it's these kind of things I hope Namco takes inspiration from to make the SF Cast. Screw Ryu/ken's helicopter levitation and Cammy's barrell roll spin that magically translates horizontally as well. Those moves don't belong in Tekken. Make Ryu/Ken legit Shotokan Karate users. Make Cammy a legit Krav Maga or something user. REAL fighting styles please.

It's not only obvious Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan but eg. Raven's Vampire Knee is taken from Hiroyuki Sanada from Ninja in the Dragon's Den. Like exact animation, it's crazy.

There are probably tons of moves taken from old obscure kung fu/karate movies.

As for TxSF I want the same - realistic moves for SF cast but it likely wont happen.

Manbig

I love the Tekken team, they made console TTT2... which is the greatest thing I've ever played.

BUT, their track record is only good because of the arcade culture behind it. Except T3, every Tekken game originally had glaring with issues.

TTT1: 1/5 cast were viable, never changed
T4: nothing needs to be said, never fixed
T5: Steve,Nina,Bryan,(Feng) --> Fixed in T5DR
T6.0: Bob/Kazuya --> Fixed in T6BR (T6.0 Pre-patch was madness: (Get 2 bounds in a combo with wall, King BT grab glitch at the wall, among others)
TTT2: Hwoarang + Overall Damage --> Fixed in TTT2U

It took them at least a year from the original release to get to the quality we have in the console version. Unfortunately for TxSF, they don't have a year. They have to get it right when it ships on the console disk since there won't be any arcade release for them to flesh the game out like they did in the past 3 titles. And getting it right the first time... is pretty rare.

But that's not unique to Namco. Capcom themselves also got CvS and SFxT wrong the first time. We had to wait wait for CvS2 and SFxT2013 to get things right. I personally feel that Namco won't get TxSF right the first time either... and the way things are going for this crossover series, I'm afraid there won't be a demand for a 2nd one.

Tekken 5.0 and 6.0 were hilariously broken. Probably 5.0 moreso. Devil Jin became top tier in 5.1 and DR due to being nerfed the least out of the cast.

Also, don't forget about Dragunov WR2 juggle on normal hit in 6.0. :D

And while we're on the subject of moves in Tekken taking inspiration from real stuff:

Burning Hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AfaATYmbpQ

Shining Wizard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL5RB8RivY8

Shining Black (Armor King version): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay2qCXvGsfY

Steiner Screwdriver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kppGpbm8EHk

Deja Vu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl-aSLFfnXA#t=8m54s

They're not as true to the originals as Virtua Fighter though.

AAK

I looked at all the pools on the player schedule search option on Final Round's website. Some of the big names I noticed.

Pool 1:
Kayyal, EMP Blood Red

Pool 2:
ATL R3d

Pool 3:
Rip

Pool 4:
Bloodhawk

Pool 5:
Fab

Pool 6:
Mateo, Blackula

Pool 7:
Trungy, RyRy

Pool 8:
OffinBed, Gandido, TS Sabin

Pool 9:
Speedkicks, Fernando, FlyMike

Pool 10:
Kane

Pool 11:
Obscure, Icege

Pool 12:
JodythaGreat, LOC

Pool 13:
Clint, Reno, Inca

Pool 14:*
JustFrameJames

Pool 15:*
Jio, Stillelectric

Pool 16:
JDCR, ZTS

Pool 17:*
The Exalted

Pool 18:
I eat Bamboo, Weapon X, Drum-EFX

Pool 19:
Anakin

Pool 20:*
StridaJin, Arkive (Guy from UAE)

Pool 21:
KoDeeVu, Real Law

Pool 22:
Lil Majin, NinthPixel, Battle Jitni

Pool 23:
Wingzero

Pool 24:
KOR, FilthieRich, Devil himself

Pool 25:
Bane

Pool 26:
Ao, AceUnlimited

Pool 27:*
WayGamble

Pool 28:
Incognito

Pool 29:
Fighting GM, Ryan Hart, Nerdjosh

Pool 30:
eDDIEBOYMANG, Rickstah, Sethlol

Pool 31:
(no on I recognized)

Pool 32:
Pokchop, RunitBlack, Overall__

*Had a female competitor in the listing

Knee still hasn't put his name up, I guess he's doing a last minute registration on the day of. I guess some other big names that are missing include the Virgina heavy hitters like Sayco/Mr. Taxi/ForMyNinjas along with LingMassacre... but I guess he retired. I'm also sad to see that Slipkicks isn't competing either, but looking at his WTF page, it definitely looks like he's quit the game. That's also kinda sad to see considering he's one of the competitors that won a major for this game. But regardless, looking at the above list... even without Knee that is a STACKED tournament. Along with UTXIII this will probably be the highest caliber of Tekken play we'll see outside of Japan/Korea.

I don't think I'll even be able to watch half of it :( So much studying to do.

AAK

I didn't count... that would have taken way too long :( There was on average of about 5-7 people per pool.

I'm gonna guess it's still the 193 figure.

Sayah

That's still a good enough number of competitors. It'll definitely reach 256 if not more. And yeah, I'm working this whole week. Probably won't get time to watch it. :/

You think Hwo is cheaper than Nina? Or cheap at all for that matter? That's a rather unusual opinion.

Nah, not necessarily calling him flat out cheap or anything, but more difficult or annoying to deal with than Nina I think. Once his quick strings get going and he is on top of you, it seems like the down + 1 or u/f 3 hits him randomly with me and if I screw up, I am screwed basically. I guess I don't consider Nina cheap because I rarely fight her and imo she is very difficult to play properly. Not saying Hwoarang is easy to play properly by any stretch of the imagination because he is not, but I think he is easier to learn than Nina and that is why I see way more Hwoarang players online than Nina. I fight Hwoarang 4 to 5 times out of ten matches at least on average so I suppose he can get under my skin more than Nina. It could just be the way I handle him though since I sometimes freeze when he goes into those fast strings.

Manbig

Nah, not necessarily calling him flat out cheap or anything, but more difficult or annoying to deal with than Nina I think. Once his quick strings get going and he is on top of you, it seems like the down + 1 or u/f 3 hits him randomly with me and if I screw up, I am screwed basically. I guess I don't consider Nina cheap because I rarely fight her and imo she is very difficult to play properly. Not saying Hwoarang is easy to play properly by any stretch of the imagination because he is not, but I think he is easier to learn than Nina and that is why I see way more Hwoarang players online than Nina. I fight Hwoarang 4 to 5 times out of ten matches at least on average so I suppose he can get under my skin more than Nina. It could just be the way I handle him though since I sometimes freeze when he goes into those fast strings.

The thing to remember about Hwo is that when you guess right vs him, you typically get a free launch. You just have to hit up the training mode and learn when to duck in his strings or when to sidestep/sidewalk.

The thing to remember about Hwo is that when you guess right vs him, you typically get a free launch. You just have to hit up the training mode and learn when to duck in his strings or when to sidestep/sidewalk.

Thanks. I'll mess around with that. I do need to go in practice mode more.

Nyx

Played my 100th online match last night, 30% winrate.

(casual here mind you!)

Kunimitsu is definitely my favorite character and will be my main forever.
But I keep on switching between Jun, Zafina and Michelle as 2nd char, can't really decide who I like best from these 3.

Zafina has the coolest fighting style I guess but I find her pretty hard to control.

Any pointers perhaps?

AAK

Played my 100th online match last night, 30% winrate.

(casual here mind you!)

Kunimitsu is definitely my favorite character and will be my main forever.
But I keep on switching between Jun, Zafina and Michelle as 2nd char, can't really decide who I like best from these 3.

Zafina has the coolest fighting style I guess but I find her pretty hard to control.

Any pointers perhaps?

Zafina is just like every other stance based character. When you start, you have to familiarize yourself with what moves go into what stance, and when in those stances what options do you have. Also really important, how to cancel out of those stances back into a neutral position. For Zafina, it's generally pressing d/b to go back into a neutral pose from any of her 3 stances.

Zafina's greatest strengths are her MONSTROUS backdash speed and wall combo damage. Out of all the new characters that have come from the HD era (Leo, Miguel, Bob, Lars, Alisa). Other than that she does have a relatively tough time. She can be very punishable if you like to press a lot of buttons, but you really shouldn't considering how good her walkspeed allows her to turtle. And I think she has 2 really really good low pokes. Her new d+3 move crushes quite a lot of high and mid moves. And her b+1+2 is amazing for tormenting your opponent from a distance.

You also have to be really creative with her during tag assaults to make the most out of the juggle damage potential. I know Knee uses Zafina as a secondary, you can look at some video footage online for pointers with her. With Knee, he's so good that he automatically becomes the best practitioner of that character in the world haha.

DEATH™

TTT2 got 500 entrants...

Final Round still an Tekken tourney confirmed

------

I gotta watch this now, I'm not gonna be able to watch the pools tommorrow due to work T_T

Top Bottom