• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

maomaoIYP

boutdown, you are facing my brother right now. I had to go.

Who is your secondary character? Or are you playing solo?

Just some solo ones will do, I don't get a ws 2 to connect very often as a launcher and I'm still learning her. You tag in someone with every ws 2 that you connect I suppose?

edit: I can't do f,f+3~f~u 1 for the life of me. Right now after u/f+3 or d/f+2 I'm just doing f+2,3 d/f+3+4 BT 1+2 B! f,f+3~f+1,2 but I think there must be a way to do more after a ws 2 that doesn't involve multiple ws 2.

DEATH™

Ggs to boutdown... sorry if I played around, really tired from work, and gonna come back later...

Sayah, we gotta play sometime later... I need someone to frustrate me...

AAK

So, to all East Coast Tekken players, a mini-event is coming up:

http://www.facebook.com/events/list/2013/April#!/events/481789698552738/

A Tekken tournament held by the NY crew, BUT there is a catch. If an out of state player (I'm looking at you Mr. New Jersey Sayah) makes it into top 2 they get an extra $100 earnings. ;)

edit: I can't do f,f+3~f~u 1 for the life of me. Right now after u/f+3 or d/f+2 I'm just doing f+2,3 d/f+3+4 BT 1+2 B! f,f+3~f+1,2 but I think there must be a way to do more after a ws 2 that doesn't involve multiple ws 2.

Haven't played Lili, but try maybe WS+2, d+2,2,3 f+1 d/f+3+4 BT 1+2! f,f+3~f+1,2

Maybe that works?

Manbig

She's got some nerfs but she also got some buffs. Her d/b+3 no longer juggles but it is faster so it can serve as a great poke move. In T6, her f,f+3 could be use for juggle damage on hit. But in Tag 2, you can't. Instead, she can do f,f+3 - f,1,2 which is a GREAT juggle ender and can take great damage. So you're losing some things with the property changes on some of her moves but you're also gaining some awesome things in return. Overall, a pretty good and easy to learn character.

Woah, there! If d/b3 is that super slow sweep, then it is not a poke. It's a gimmicky sweep that Lili players use as a terrible habit like Snake Edge. You should NOT be relying on this move EVER.

If it's not that super slow sweep, then disregard everything I just said. :D

Woah, there! If d/b3 is that super slow sweep, then it is not a poke. It's a gimmicky sweep that Lili players use as a terrible habit like Snake Edge. You should NOT be relying on this move EVER.

If it's not that super slow sweep, then disregard everything I just said. :D

Yeah, you're thinking of d/b+4. Her d/b+3 isn't a low.

Sayah

^^^^^^
I definitely meant to say d/b+4 instead of d/b+3, lol. My mistake. But yeah, why wouldn't it be a good poke/pressure move? It comes out faster than it did in T6 and is harder to predict. I see people using it a lot online. Maybe it's not as effective offline, I guess?

Haven't played Lili, but try maybe WS+2, d+2,2,3 f+1 d/f+3+4 BT 1+2! f,f+3~f+1,2

Maybe that works?

That combo is kind of hard to connect.

Just some solo ones will do, I don't get a ws 2 to connect very often as a launcher and I'm still learning her. You tag in someone with every ws 2 that you connect I suppose?

Do you use f,f+3~f+1,2 as a juggle ender without a tag assault? Does it even work? lol I'm asking because it's great as a juggle ender after a TA but I don't know about solo combos. I just use 3,2,3 or d/f+3+4, 3+4 to end.

As far as her WS 2, maybe one of these might help:

1). WS 2, d/f+2, f+2,3, d/f+3+4, BT 1+2, d/f+3+4, 3+4. Takes 79 damage.

2). WS 2, WS 2, f+1, d/f+2, f+1, d/f+3+4, BT 1+2, d/f+3+4, 3+4. Takes 75 damage.

Though, I would suggest using TA's for her with your secondary character. I can take 89 damage with her d/f+2 launcher with TA using Yoshi or 91 damage using P. Jack.

Manbig

^^^^^^
I definitely meant to say d/b+4 instead of d/b+3, lol. My mistake. But yeah, why wouldn't it be a good poke/pressure move? It comes out faster and is harder to predict. I see people using it a lot online. Maybe it's not as effective offline, I guess?

That combo is kind of hard to connect.

Do you use f,f+3~f+1,2 as a juggle ender without a tag assault? Does it even work? lol I'm asking because it's great as a juggle ender after a TA but I don't know about solo combos. I just use 3,2,3 or d/f+3+4, 3+4 to end.

2). WS 2, WS 2, f+1, d/f+2, f+1, d/f+3+4, BT 1+2, d/f+3+4, 3+4. Takes 75 damage.

Though, I would suggest using TA's for her with your secondary character. I can take 89 damage with her d/f+2 launcher with TA using Yoshi or 91 damage using P. Jack.

On or offline it's terrible. It's a very seeable sweep that's launch punishable on block by the whole cast. You see it a lot online because people either don't know what they're doing, or just don't care because it's online. It also has the tendency of going under high hitting mids, so it catches people off guard once in a blue moon.

It is not a poke because it is sloooooowwwwwwww.

Doomshine

On or offline it's terrible. It's a very seeable sweep that's launch punishable on block by the whole cast. You see it a lot online because people either don't know what they're doing, or just don't care because it's online. It also has the tendency of going under high hitting mids, so it catches people off guard once in a blue moon.

It is not a poke because it is sloooooowwwwwwww.

It's definitely not a poke, but it's also doesn't have an obvious animation like say snake edge. It's a bit like Miguel's db+1, at least for me, her leg moves so smooth and with barely any wind-up.

Manbig

It's definitely not a poke, but it's also doesn't have an obvious animation like say snake edge. It's a bit like Miguel's db+1, at least for me, her leg moves so smooth and with barely any wind-up.

There are quite a few people that can see Mig's d/b1. That's why you don't see Fab use the move at all vs certain players. Thing is, Mig's d/b1 is still worth the risk due to having his mini juggle and good oki after it.

Lili's Edelweiss, on the other hand, doesn't get her anything significant unless it lands on CH. It is way too slow to reliably use as a CH move. Using this move now puts you at an incredible risk for very little reward. So with the slightly faster speed, a bat might not be able to block it now, but you aren't exactly making the wisest choice in using it.

Manbig

^^^
I probably just don't know what I'm talking about. I'm clearly not a Lili expert. lol

I can't say I blame you since it's historically one of those moves with an obnoxious sort of "random factor" to it due to the extreme evasiveness and high reward she would get when landing it. This leads to great success until you fight high level competition. Thing is, especially online, you don't often fight high level competition. Even when you do, they don't really take it very seriously, so a lot of Lili players (along with a lot of other characters with gimmicks) fall into relying WAY too heavily on these kinds of things and can't shake the bad habits. That is really the only reason I decided to speak up about it.

So, yeah. Remember that it exists, but try your best to avoid using it as a go-to move.

Sayah

I can't say I blame you since it's historically one of those moves with an obnoxious sort of "random factor" to it due to the extreme evasiveness and high reward she would get when landing it. This leads to great success until you fight high level competition. Thing is, especially online, you don't often fight high level competition. Even when you do, they don't really take it very seriously, so a lot of Lili players (along with a lot of other characters with gimmicks) fall into relying WAY too heavily on these kinds of things and can't shake the bad habits. That is really the only reason I decided to speak up about it.

So, yeah. Remember that it exists, but try your best to avoid using it as a go-to move.

Advice noted. Thanks man. :D

Sayah

This is one of the things about the Wii U that's really appealing to me.

BGDuoHnCAAAdpyq.jpg:large

This is one of the things about the Wii U that's really appealing to me.

It's definitely fun to mess with, but I don't know how people get stuff to look that good. It's really hard to draw stuff on it...at least it was for me, anyway. I haven't tried drawing anything in a while, though.

But yeah, Miiverse is really awesome.

AAK

Why does it feel like everyone else can just press buttons all day and it'll crush/interrupt anything I do. :/

Sorry I forgot to asnwer this:

People that play online tend to get habits and can therefore have a pretty good idea WHEN someone is going to press a button or not. And then when you play against characters especially TTT2, there is some move that has high or low crush properties. Those people WILL go for that move at those key moments. When it's a Xiaoyu player they'll go into AOP, if it's a heihachi player they'll do d/b+1+2 or ws+1, Lars will do u/f+3, Lili/Feng/Lars/Drag/etc's backswing blow. It's all about matchup knowledge. And hence, it IS in your best interest to be patient and learn how to punish most efficiently. Just learn to sit back and continue blocking but most importantly know WHEN to capitalize when your opponenet makes that mistake.

Did you watch yesterday's tournament at Super Arcade? Take a look at Aris's first match against Tomahawk:
http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/b/381469546?t=5h50m33s
Notice the moves that worked in the victor's favor. Then look at the runback they had later on in the tournament, and see how the adaptation and patient went in a long way to beat out the people that press buttons all day:
http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/b/381469546?t=7h5m

Sayah

^
I can probably play after I watch the walking dead.

It's definitely fun to mess with, but I don't know how people get stuff to look that good. It's really hard to draw stuff on it...at least it was for me, anyway. I haven't tried drawing anything in a while, though.

But yeah, Miiverse is really awesome.

Can't wait to get the console myself. It just needs a quality library before I make the jump. SSB4 will no doubt be the system seller for me.

Dereck

Did you watch yesterday's tournament at Super Arcade? Take a look at Aris's first match against Tomahawk:
Notice the moves that worked in the victor's favor. Then look at the runback they had later on in the tournament, and see how the adaptation and patient went in a long way to beat out the people that press buttons all day:
So I'm guessing you're implying Tomahawk was the one pressing buttons all day? I'm confused.

Manbig

So I'm guessing you're implying Tomahawk was the one pressing buttons all day? I'm confused.

What he's saying is that people online tend to use a lot of evasive moves which is why it feels like button mashers are killing you. Ling is a great example because her whole game revolves around the evasiveness of her Art of Phoenix stance.

Aris adapted to it by playing with more patience since the bulk of her offense is making you whiff and punishing you hard for the whiffs, but she's quite punishable on block and whiff. Although keep in mind that Aris did miss a lot of big block punishes in those matches also.

Manbig

Paul's during hit generic combo ender.

d4 during hit 2 during hit 1+2

Oh, Demolition Man.

It requires a sort of specific timing. You have to press the inputs with a sort of rhythm and not as fast as possible. If you want to get the just frame version (blue sparkles), the timing of the last button press has to be right around when the second hit connects.

Sorry I forgot to asnwer this:

People that play online tend to get habits and can therefore have a pretty good idea WHEN someone is going to press a button or not. And then when you play against characters especially TTT2, there is some move that has high or low crush properties. Those people WILL go for that move at those key moments. When it's a Xiaoyu player they'll go into AOP, if it's a heihachi player they'll do d/b+1+2 or ws+1, Lars will do u/f+3, Lili/Feng/Lars/Drag/etc's backswing blow. It's all about matchup knowledge. And hence, it IS in your best interest to be patient and learn how to punish most efficiently. Just learn to sit back and continue blocking but most importantly know WHEN to capitalize when your opponenet makes that mistake.

Thanks again, AAK. You've been a constant help to us scrubs. :) Xiaoyu was one of those characters. I'll definitely watch these.

What do you mean by during hit? Hit confirm? Have an example?

I think he means just frame strings like Paul's demo man?

Edit: nvm, so late lol

Dereck

It requires a sort of specific timing. You have to press the inputs with a sort of rhythm and not as fast as possible. If you want to get the just frame version (blue sparkles), the timing of the last button press has to be right around when the second hit connects.
I've landed it twice after 13 tries, I gotta get the timing down.

I've been doing d1,4,2 as a substitute.

Manbig

It's one of his most important moves outside of combos too, because it gives him a strong high risk/reward mix up game when he's up close. Just be very mindful of the limited range that the first hit has.

DEATH™

@boutdown d+4:2:1+2 just like manbig said, requires a specific timing, like f,n,d,df:4 for JFSR...

Basically, it's a just frame, which means, you got 1 FRAME WINDOW to press the button right, yeah, that strict... though rely visually helps as a starting point (i.e. looking at you character and pressing the followup command as soon as the attack hits), getting the rhythm will make it more consistent...

Sayah

I thought I remembered reading one of AAK's post which said to look at the health bar for better indication of when to press 1+2.

AAK

Why can't I get during hit strings to work?

What helps me with the timing is that I should press the next following button RIGHT when I see the health bar move. It's sort of a visual cue to help with the timing.

EDIT: Beaten by Sayah^^

Thanks again, AAK. You've been a constant help to us scrubs. :) Xiaoyu was one of those characters. I'll definitely watch these.

Anytime! But mind you, trying to learn from match videos requires quite a bit of vigilance. As a spectator it's really easy to dismiss an occurence as something small. For example, Aris successfully sidesteps Miharu's WR+3, but he straight away tries to punish forgetting that she's in AOP that will crush the punish and she gets a free launcher from BT AOP. It's a major thing but it can be real easy to just think it was a random launcher with no logic behind it. Some things to look out for when watching videos of this game :).

DEATH™;51368262 said:
@boutdown d+4:2:1+2 just like manbig said, requires a specific timing, like f,n,d,df:4 for JFSR...

JFSR is f,n,d/f+4. No down input or you'll get the regular sky rocket ;)

DEATH™

I thought I remembered reading one of AAK's post which said to look at the health bar for better indication of when to press 1+2.

Actually, that works better...

TBQH I need to incorporate more King f+3:1+2 (DDT) and AK b+4:1+2 (Stunner). I need another 15f move aside from hopkicks. Though using it online sucks... Also, King's tackle 3+4:1+2 is something I still don't get consistently... I might try that technique...

EDIT

oh so kinda like OTGF?

Manbig

DEATH™;51369063 said:
Actually, that works better...

TBQH I need to incorporate more King f+3:1+2 (DDT) and AK b+4:1+2 (Stunner). I need another 15f move aside from hopkicks. Though using it online sucks... Also, King's tackle 3+4:1+2 is something I still don't get consistently... I might try that technique...

EDIT

oh so kinda like OTGF?

Yeah, it's like OTGF, but when he's in RFF (Right Foot Forward) the timing is super lenient for it.

GrayFoxPL

I remember ages ago(T4) someone figured out the timing on perfect Demolition Man by noticing is the same timing as DUM DUM DUM in "We will rock you" by Queen.

It's true.

Sayah

I must have missed it. Complex magazine had ranked Tekken #11 on the 50 best video game franchises list (September 2012). Street Fighter is #10.

Nice.

Also, Tekken's 20th anniversary is going to be this year. Really hoping Namco has some good stuff planned.

I must have missed it. Complex magazine had ranked Tekken #11 on the 50 best video game franchises list (September 2012). Street Fighter is #10.

Nice.

Also, Tekken's 20th anniversary is going to be this year. Really hoping Namco has some good stuff planned.

It shows that Tekken is firmly ingrained in mainstream gaming culture. But man, what an awful list. Zelda at #35 and FIFA at #3 :lol

Also, won't next year be Tekken's 20th Anniversary? T1 was released in arcades in 1994 I thought.

MikeMyers

It shows that Tekken is firmly ingrained in mainstream gaming culture. But man, what an awful list. Zelda at #35 and FIFA at #3 :lol

Also, won't next year be Tekken's 20th Anniversary? T1 was released in arcades in 1994 I thought.

Wow, Tekken is as old as I am.

Speaking of Paul, before this game I could do his JFs perfectly, but now sometimes I mess up. I think online lag got to me.

Sayah

Why Wii U doesn't have Tekken Tunes.......
Nintendo gone and done it again.

Okay, nevermind I guess. I read a tweet that mentioned it and I assumed it was this year.
And yeah, the list is pretty terrible. But Tekken at #11 makes it alright. haha

Though, if I had to rank franchises, my list would probably be considered terrible too.

Top 10:

1. Tekken
2. Smash Bros.
3. Souls series
4. Legend of Zelda
5. Kingdom Hearts
6. Paper Mario
7. Resident Evil
8. Valkyria Chronicles
9. Uncharted
10. Super Mario

Metroid Prime and the Mario Galaxy games never clicked with me, though. I love Other M. I have not played the MGS or the DMC series. I greatly regret that but I don't want to add to my backlog with the HD collections yet.

Be up in a minute.

I'll get online shortly.

maomaoIYP

Maybe that works?

The d/f+3+4 is very hard to connect, and the last hit of f,f+3~f+1,2 doesn't hit anymore.

Thanks for the ws 2 combos, gonna try them out later.

Yeah f,f+3~f+1,2 works as a solo combo ender. The timing is tight, but it does more than just 3,2,3.
d/f+2 f+2,3 d/f+3+4 BT 1+2! f,f+3~f+1,2 is my staple.

I do use TA's but I don't want to give netsu on my very first combo.
I've been using this staple TA combo with Lili with Xiaoyu:
d/f+2 f+2,3 d/f+3+4 BT 1+2 TA! [d+1+2 b+3+4 1,4] WR 3
With Xiaoyu on point I do:
d/f+2~1 f+3,1 2,1 f,f+1+2 TA! [f,f+3,3+4] f+1+2
Can't remember how much they do though.

AAK

BTW I forgot, I made a GIF about this a while ago during Tekken Busters. At our level we usually just block and wait. BUT if you're a Korean, your backdashing skills might be good enough to do the things you see below instead against people that push buttons:

ib0N9t7qkUTEV9.gif

Feng going with a low crush, Law going straight away into a mid into a launcher string, etc. They look really subtle and easy, but wow doing those backdashes with confidence does take practice.

EDIT: Wow, what a coincidence Sayah's new avatar is exactly one that I did for the old Tekken OT but never posted it LOL. I thought nobody liked her hold pre-T5 CG haha.

iLTg7qoAyaz6p.png

Sayah

AAK, her Tekken 3 cg is amazing. I don't know who would hate that.

DEATH™;51380343 said:
I never thought the day where sayah will resort to tenstrings will come...

How far have you fallen brother...

Yoshi's ten hit string is the easiest to do in the game. I couldn't resist. lol

Top Bottom