• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

sasuke_91

@GrayFoxPL: I only had to invite you once earlier and I think I know the reason. I normally have Tekken Tunes enabled and this seems like a bad idea when playing Online. I'll turn it off from now on and see if it gets any better.
We had some really great fights today, especially those Jin vs Jin matches. That felt great :D
I lost focus at some point and lost 8 times in a row, but damn, good games man

GrayFoxPL

@GrayFoxPL: I only had to invite you once earlier and I think I know the reason. I normally have Tekken Tunes enabled and this seems like a bad idea when playing Online. I'll turn it off from now on and see if it gets any better.
We had some really great fights today, especially those Jin vs Jin matches. That felt great :D
I lost focus at some point and lost 8 times in a row, but damn, good games man

Interesting. I'll turn off tunes next time too.

Great matches man.

Every time you saw f+2 or f+2,3 that was failed bf2,1 and bf2,3. Damn that f+2. My pad is falling apart I couldn't fly with D.Jin as my up responds as up+back, no combo after f+4,3 lol.

I'm so bad against Gordo I only won by a hair when you accidentally picked him. Oh man.

That Ling getting more and more dangerous every time, dat damage you get from her is insane.

Sorry about the deathfists, it's because of rage. Rage + ch deathfist = dead. No matter what. Same day I got hit by Kaz's rage ch cd+3 and lost 65-70% of life somehow. Rage is terrible. I hope they'll cut it off from next game. Paul's deathfist will probably get nerfed too, because lol - it may be the most linear move, you only need to take a half of sidestep to make it whiff, but man when it hits it kills. Bit much.
I have a feeling Paul will get Tekken 5 DR status in next game. Will still use him even if low tier.

You know why I started to win by the end? You became predictable again. Started to use the same moves in the same pattern. When you're unpredictable and use the most of moveset you win. It's the key. I know some moves are better then others, but what good are they if I constantly expect them to come out?

Use that godly stomp move Hwoarang has, his hunting hawk for 2 hits and then combo like AAK does. Experiment in practice mode how can you mess with opponent's head. Which lows with fast recovery to use, to make opponent block low from frustration, etc. And one more thing, you never have to finish the strings, most of these things are build in a way so that they are not natural combos, so it's good idea to brake 3-4 string after 2 hits and go for something unexpected. That can frustrate opponent so he'll start to mash eg 1,2 after your 2 hit string, then actually doing the whole thing will get counter hit string benefits.

Btw you're great with skyrocket, every time I crouch dashed with something, your skyrocket was faster, even if I thought I was quicker with attack I still got hit. Use it to your benefit, abuse it.

Same with back dash then instant electric with Mishimas, I can't do it even 1/5 as good. You have that skill so use it, destroy with it.

sasuke_91

Sorry about the deathfists, it's because of rage. Rage + ch deathfist = dead. No matter what. Same day I got hit by Kaz's rage ch cd+3 and lost 65-70% of life somehow. Rage is terrible. I hope they'll cut it off from next game. Paul's deathfist will probably get nerfed too, because lol - it may be the most linear move, you only need to take a half of sidestep to make it whiff, but man when it hits it kills. Bit much.
I have a feeling Paul will get Tekken 5 DR status in next game. Will still use him even if low tier.
No need to apologize^^
I still have to learn to handle Paul. He's giving me a hard time. That deathfist always gets me. It killed me more often than it should have.

You know why I started to win by the end? You became predictable again. Started to use the same moves in the same pattern. When you're unpredictable and use the most of moveset you win. It's the key. I know some moves are better then others, but what good are they if I constantly expect them to come out?

Use that godly stomp move Hwoarang has, his hunting hawk for 2 hits and then combo like AAK does. Experiment in practice mode how can you mess with opponent's head. Which lows with fast recovery to use, to make opponent block low from frustration, etc. And one more thing, you never have to finish the strings, most of these things are build in a way so that they are not natural combos, so it's good idea to brake 3-4 string after 2 hits and go for something unexpected. That can frustrate opponent so he'll start to mash eg 1,2 after your 2 hit string, then actually doing the whole thing will get counter hit string benefits.
I don't notice when I start to become predictable. I'm good for the first few fights, but then I start doing dumb stuff again and I'm not concentrated anymore^^

I normally do 2 hits of hunting hawk and then 2,4,2 RFF b+2 or ff+3 which results in a bound. I'm not sure what AAK uses.
I'll try the thing with the strings.

Btw you're great with skyrocket, every time I crouch dashed with something, your skyrocket was faster, even if I thought I was quicker with attack I still got hit. Use it to your benefit, abuse it.

Same with back dash then instant electric with Mishimas, I can't do it even 1/5 as good. You have that skill so use it, destroy with it.

Thanks man. I worked a lot on my electrics. I still think Hwoarang's JFSR is kinda hard though. Oh, and I can only do this kind of stuff with my own pad. Any other pad and I fuck up every input like this^^

AZUMIKE

Anyone else notice an increase in "dub-step" (at this point in time I don't how else to describe it) within Tekken games, notably Tekken 6 and TTT2? Not saying its bad, I'm just interested to see what direction the music will go for these games. Stuff matters.

AZUMIKE

I have faith in Namco's sound team. The 2 Credits songs in TTT2 are divine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezxvnMFiZ-k <--- This track would be so felicitous for an eventual TxSF or next Tekken reveal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhvVXnjCXfo

GREAT tracks.

Another Tekken Classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4E8hnfKg3g

What do you guys think about the future of Story Mode for Tekken? As far as presentation goes, I thought Tekken 4's storytelling was notable (narrator, Fetus track, nicely drawn openings and endings, ending movies).

CSX

Lttp but I gotta say this.

If u play on a pad and u miss inputs involving two attack buttons , the ps4 controller fixes everything. Its perfection !!!!

I went from never landing a legend kick as TA ender to always landing it!!!!!

Assuming u don't cheat using shoulder buttons of course lol

Sayah

Anyone else notice an increase in "dub-step" (at this point in time I don't how else to describe it) within Tekken games, notably Tekken 6 and TTT2? Not saying its bad, I'm just interested to see what direction the music will go for these games. Stuff matters.

I am grateful for the new direction in music.
Your Sunset and Plucking Tulips are some of the best tracks.

If Tekken Revolution is any indication, Tekken team's got a really solid sound team/music composers.

I particularly like the new versions of the following stages:

Moonlit Wilderness
Winter Palace
Tulip Festival
Eternal Paradise
Sakura Schoolyard

Moonlit Wilderness and Winter Palace are particularly A+ quality.

As far as story, I appreciate both the humorous Tekken 5 endings and the more serious Tekken 4 tone. I won't mind if the next Tekken goes in either direction.

If u play on a pad and u miss inputs involving two attack buttons , the ps4 controller fixes everything. Its perfection !!!!

I used to rely on shoulder buttons but now I'm close to being indifferent to them. Can play without them fine too. The only thing I really need them for now is ivory cutter and ewgfs.
I need to really invest in DS4. Everyone has positive things to say.

I have faith in Namco's sound team. The 2 Credits songs in TTT2 are divine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezxvnMFiZ-k <--- This track would be so felicitous for an eventual TxSF or next Tekken reveal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhvVXnjCXfo

I never heard the T2 remix before. LOL.

I also have faith in Kenichi Okabe( the man responsible for the GOAT Nier ost). I really hope they return to something akin to T2 and DR though.

GREAT tracks.

Another Tekken Classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4E8hnfKg3g

What do you guys think about the future of Story Mode for Tekken? As far as presentation goes, I thought Tekken 4's storytelling was notable (narrator, Fetus track, nicely drawn openings and endings, ending movies).

Story mode is something I have much less faith in. Since Scenario Campaign and Soul Calibur V's story mode both kinda flopped, there are rumors circulating that they might do a reboot. So maybe they can fix the plot there?

weepy

Didn't know this thread still existed...If you guys still do sparring sessions count me in. I need the practice before evo. I know I'll get my ass kicked but still, lol.

AZUMIKE

If Tekken Revolution is any indication, Tekken team's got a really solid sound team/music composers.

Yup, I found TR's soundtrack to be pretty decent.

As far as story, I appreciate both the humorous Tekken 5 endings and the more serious Tekken 4 tone. I won't mind if the next Tekken goes in either direction.

Seems to me that Tekken often includes both. That aspect has been one of the series "staples", if you will.

Since Scenario Campaign and Soul Calibur V's story mode both kinda flopped, there are rumors circulating that they might do a reboot. So maybe they can fix the plot there?

I think the plot is fine. At the end of the day, Harada isn't writing a novel. That doesn't mean the story doesn't serve a purpose (it does, as it gives characters background/history/meaning) but the story can be dealt with differently because the priority is on the actual game engine. The idea of a "reboot" is interesting, but new characters need to be connected, (or even become reincarnations) of previous character styles (e.g Bruce or Lei being represented via younger blood, similar to how Forest was to Marshall).

Doomshine

I suspected this and I'm glad to hear it confirmed, I might just get one before I even buy a ps4 at this point.

My solution to the problem wasn't shoulder buttons but I started button buffering more, it works well in combos where you know what moves you're going to do but it doesn't solve the issue of being able to do them spontaneously.

AAK

The last TnT (Tuesday nonstop Tekken) from the UK scene is one of the best and most entertaining sessions I've ever saw as a streamer:

http://www.twitch.tv/thewonderpark/b/532755899

Starscream was on commentary with Shadowforce first and then with King Jae later. It was sooo much fun listening. Hearing the perpsective of a guy that understands Tekken to such a minute detail and then the way he deals with the other up and comers in the London Tekken scene. Was worth the 2 1/2 hr time sink :)

Didn't know this thread still existed...If you guys still do sparring sessions count me in. I need the practice before evo. I know I'll get my ass kicked but still, lol.

For sure we play whenever we're all online. Go ahead and add me AAK0924 on PSN.

Dereck

lRl5Knd.gif

Ayyy, just had a 4 hour Jin/Lee session online.

Ayyy, played like 2 hours with this 15 dan Jin player.

GOT #REKT

Ayyy, but I also put like 3,000 b1,2s into people assholes lmao.

But I still can't even land a f+1,3~3 for shit doe lmao

iIZLGPPaVk8ty.gif

The worst thing for me when coming back to Tekken, is the huge drop AFTER I start back playing. Idk how but I'll play, do well with just muscle memory and BAM drop in skill. Its weird.

GrayFoxPL

The worst thing for me when coming back to Tekken, is the huge drop AFTER I start back playing. Idk how but I'll play, do well with just muscle memory and BAM drop in skill. Its weird.

It's because of huge strain on memory it requires. Basically every fight you must think about movesets, options, setups not for one, not two but four characters at once. Because you also gotta think what opponent's thinking.
That's why I recon it's so hard to get back to Tag and play well after even few days.
Maybe the brain goes: "Fuck you! I don't have to work 24/7 at that speed & stress!"

Man I really hope for 1 on 1 in sequels.

DEATH™

It's because of huge strain on memory it requires. Basically every fight you must think about movesets, options, setups not for one, not two but four characters at once. Because you also gotta think what opponent's thinking.
That's why I recon it's so hard to get back to Tag and play well after even few days.
Maybe the brain goes: "Fuck you! I don't have to work 24/7 at that speed & stress!"

Man I really hope for 1 on 1 in sequels.

I have it on opposite. I do way better when not playing as much and when playing longer sets, my bad habits come back. Maybe because I know my characters so well now and I treat my team like 1 character, not to mention my generally defensive playstyle helps.

Deps

DEATH™;113996989 said:
I have it on opposite. I do way better when not playing as much and when playing longer sets, my bad habits come back. Maybe because I know my characters so well now and I treat my team like 1 character, not to mention my generally defensive playstyle helps.

I agree with this. I just came back to Tekken after a 6 month break, and surprisingly I'm playing better than before. Instead of trying to perfect punish everything and use all my tools, I'm just focusing on my best tools and punishing with Jin 24. Working out much better than going crazy trying to optimize everything.

AZUMIKE

Shoutouts to boutdown letting me "experiment". Would like to play again with less "experimentation".

The TTT2 roster s soo vast! You guys ever consider doing random matches? It would be hilarious.

Sayah

Shoutouts to boutdown letting me "experiment". Would like to play again with less "experimentation".

The TTT2 roster s soo vast! You guys ever consider doing random matches? It would be hilarious.

I did do EWGF-only matches with a player online. It was quite fun. Or you could pick jaycee and do her little acrobatic plunge move only. Create your own mini-game.

sasuke_91

@UltWarrior1: Very good games. I'm glad we can play at 2-4 bars and no lag.
Your lows and throws made me really nervous, so my random ducking became even more random. Great pressure :D
Sorry Doomshine. I had to go, so opening a new 3 player lobby would have taken too much time.

AZUMIKE

@sasuke91 Yeah, I enjoyed those matches! Like how you peekaboo stance'd after f2,1, then went for the bound (steve fox). Playing against Hwo was enjoyable too. And Ling...she's a problem!

Wonder how backdash will be changed/augmented in future titles...or maybe Harada was jesting...

AAK

GG's yesterday Tera. I kinda feel bad for you at times when you manage to float me but have Jin Tier bound moves and the d+2 misses for the umpteenth time haha.

One thing I do notice is that your defensive playstyle is great for maintaining the life lead but when I was in the lead I think you definitely had a hard time breaking in. It's really hard for me to give recommendations that work with your style since it's the complete opposite of mine haha.... BUT there is one thing you need to start doing. GRAB SOME MORE! :p

Coming from Toryuken I just began to realize how much I've been undervaluing grabs. I used to ignore their utility before because of how easy they are to break relative to other fighting games and how risky they are in case your opponent ducks/hopkicks, but the positional changes, okizeme, and methods to fluster your opponent are too important to ignore. Hope you implement them more :) I know Lili's grabs especially give off some spectacular Oki. GG's regardless though!

GrayFoxPL

GG's Doomshine, nice Jin and I can't get out of Armor King setups.

I'm just watching out for capital punishment but I get stomped so hard, stomp stomp stomp! Lol.

I also anticipate db+3 - move AK players like to abuse but you didn't do any - wat. ;P

Doomshine

GG's Doomshine, nice Jin and I can't get out of Armor King setups.

I'm just watching out for capital punishment but I get stomped so hard, stomp stomp stomp! Lol.

I also anticipate db+3 - move AK players like to abuse but you didn't do any - wat. ;P

Good games, I don't think there's any move in the game that is as satisfying as AKs stomps :] I still barely have a clue how to deal with Steve's peekaboo stance, thank god for characters with punch counters.

About db+3, I don't like using a lot of launch punishable moves, but sometimes I end up playing way too conservatively because of it. I try to use it to crush highs and land a CH.

Good games to Sasuke too, I need to remember my damn Jinpachi combos lol.

GG's yesterday Tera. I kinda feel bad for you at times when you manage to float me but have Jin Tier bound moves and the d+2 misses for the umpteenth time haha.

One thing I do notice is that your defensive playstyle is great for maintaining the life lead but when I was in the lead I think you definitely had a hard time breaking in. It's really hard for me to give recommendations that work with your style since it's the complete opposite of mine haha.... BUT there is one thing you need to start doing. GRAB SOME MORE! :p

Coming from Toryuken I just began to realize how much I've been undervaluing grabs. I used to ignore their utility before because of how easy they are to break relative to other fighting games and how risky they are in case your opponent ducks/hopkicks, but the positional changes, okizeme, and methods to fluster your opponent are too important to ignore. Hope you implement them more :) I know Lili's grabs especially give off some spectacular Oki. GG's regardless though!
Thanks for this. I was kinda having butter fingers throughout our set, so I felt I wasn't really playing well.

Offense is generally a problem I have with fighters in general. I play too scared, and I need to fix that. Might solve the problem with having a life deficit.

I would throw more, but you like to duck, and so does online in general.

sasuke_91

Good games to Sasuke too, I need to remember my damn Jinpachi combos lol.

Yeah, good games. Your Jin/AKing team is dangerous and yeah, that stomp gave me a hard time^^
I was playing ranked with Jin+Eddy (just trying out that team :p) before our matches and... oh god, I never played so dumb in my entire life o.o
I have no idea what was wrong with me, but I lost nearly every match, and my opponents were 3rd Dan to Grand Master... I rewatched those matches and just felt really bad. Maybe that's the reason I played so weird today. Doing the same moves over and over again and failing to block most of your attacks.

Edit: By the way, Steve's peek-a-boo really isn't hard to deal with, because there's no weird mix-up out of that stance. Just look out for his low attack (the animation makes it easy to block it) and prepare to break his throw with 1+2.

Doomshine

Edit: By the way, Steve's peek-a-boo really isn't hard to deal with, because there's no weird mix-up out of that stance. Just look out for his low attack (the animation makes it easy to block it) and prepare to break his throw with 1+2.

I think it's a combination of online lag and inexperience, I want to just backdash away from it but it can be tough to time it.

Dereck

You start bench pressing for the first time ever in your life. You find out that your max bench is 75lbs. After a week of doing 5 sets of 4 at 65lbs, you decide to try to max out again. Your max is now 80lbs.

So three weeks later, you're doing 5 sets of 4 at 75lbs. A week after that, you find out that your max bench is now 90lbs. A few months later, you're doing 5 sets of 4 at 115lbs. You find out your max bench is 130lbs. A few months later, you're noticing that your max bench has not gone over 130lbs at all. You don't know what the problem is.

Your bench pressing buddy's max exceeded 140lbs last week and you're wondering what the fuck you're doing wrong. You get your buddy to give you advice, but it's not working.

You start to remember when you were benching a measly 75lbs almost a year ago, but now you're upset that you've reached a roadblock.

You watch the body building channel, and see guys benching 225lbs with eachother like it ain't shit. You get pissed off, and little inspired by these guys, so you drive to the gym, motivated to get at least 155lbs up at least once.

You put the weights on the bar, you're fucking ready, you're like "I got this shit."

You lay on the bench, and the bar is on your chest. Uhh, this was a bad idea, I can't handle this. What am I doing wrong?

This is me with Tekken. I feel like I've gotten so far when it comes to skill. But, there is a huge skill barrier between me and a lot of other people. Even after a FT10 with a 15dan, and losing 10 times, I don't know what's going wrong.

I'm poking, I'm turtling, I'm being patient, I'm blocking, I'm even punshing. Shit, I'm not even getting grabbed. I'm not even getting rushed down, I'm just getting outplayed.

You guys every play someone in Tekken, where, they aren't rushing you down, but they aren't poking? It's almost as if they just do strings and run through your defense. You don't even have a chance to attack, because you feel like any opportunity you get to attack, is bait. And that's literally what it feels like. "Alright, time to throw in a quick mid", no, boom counter hit launch, or, no, boom, got you in a silly string strap, or, boom, launched you bitch. I don't know what's going on.

I can beat AAK no problem, but AAK is an example of what I'm talking about. He lazily runs through my defense.

Here's a graph of my skill increase in Tekken since the release of Tag 2.

35YulUj.png

DEATH™

You start bench pressing for the first time ever in your life. You find out that your max bench is 75lbs. After a week of doing 5 sets of 4 at 65lbs, you decide to try to max out again. Your max is now 80lbs.

So three weeks later, you're doing 5 sets of 4 at 75lbs. A week after that, you find out that your max bench is now 90lbs. A few months later, you're doing 5 sets of 4 at 115lbs. You find out your max bench is 130lbs. A few months later, you're noticing that your max bench has not gone over 130lbs at all. You don't know what the problem is.

Your bench pressing buddy's max exceeded 140lbs last week and you're wondering what the fuck you're doing wrong. You get your buddy to give you advice, but it's not working.

You start to remember when you were benching a measly 75lbs almost a year ago, but now you're upset that you've reached a roadblock.

You watch the body building channel, and see guys benching 225lbs with eachother like it ain't shit. You get pissed off, and little inspired by these guys, so you drive to the gym, motivated to get at least 155lbs up at least once.

You put the weights on the bar, you're fucking ready, you're like "I got this shit."

You lay on the bench, and the bar is on your chest. Uhh, this was a bad idea, I can't handle this. What am I doing wrong?

This is me with Tekken. I feel like I've gotten so far when it comes to skill. But, there is a huge skill barrier between me and a lot of other people. Even after a FT10 with a 15dan, and losing 10 times, I don't know what's going wrong.

I'm poking, I'm turtling, I'm being patient, I'm blocking, I'm even punshing. Shit, I'm not even getting grabbed. I'm not even getting rushed down, I'm just getting outplayed.

You guys every play someone in Tekken, where, they aren't rushing you down, but they aren't poking? It's almost as if they just do strings and run through your defense. You don't even have a chance to attack, because you feel like any opportunity you get to attack, is bait. And that's literally what it feels like. "Alright, time to throw in a quick mid", no, boom counter hit launch, or, no, boom, got you in a silly string strap, or, boom, launched you bitch. I don't know what's going on.

I can beat AAK no problem, but AAK is an example of what I'm talking about. He lazily runs through my defense.

Here's a graph of my skill increase in Tekken since the release of Tag 2.

35YulUj.png

I realized the problem with you currently is you still lack some awareness of situations.

Example, you use Jin and we are both probably less than 1/3 life. We are both gonna die with few pokes, then you do can-can like it's the beginning of the round. That most of the time gets you killed. You need to look at your movesets and pick which tools you can freely use in the beginning of the round, when you are in the life lead, not in life lead, when you are in rage, when opponent is in rage and when your opponent wants to tag out. THEN you need to realize those situations ingame. When you know them, it feels like you take control of the game.

What King taught me as a player is not be greedy, yet be greedy. Be greedy at the right time.

BTW ggs don't take it so hard lol

DEATH™

Anywho, the post applies to the Tekken I've been playing between now and the last month.

Trust me when I say that you are way better than you think right now. I think it's more of a issue of confidence. Cause I know when you get on a roll, YOU GET ON A ROLL.

I think it's time for you to go out there... Where you live?

sasuke_91

I agree. You're extremely good, boutdown. You should try out that skill in a tournament.

My problem with Tekken is that the more I learn, the more I'm afraid to use certain moves. For example Hwoarang's RFS db+3,3. This combo deals more than 60 damage, wall splats, it's perfect... but only on counterhit. Otherwise it's not a natural combo, the second hit is duckable (first one is low) and your opponent can launch you. I used the combo against someone in a desperate situation (time runs out, he's in the life lead) after a long time and won the round because of it. This is the problem I basically have with every high attack in the game... I'm afraid that someone will duck them.
But other than that, I've never been better at Tekken than I am now. I bought TTT2 in August 2013 and didn't make that much progress until January 2014, when I joined Tekken GAF. Seriously, it's ridiculous how much I've learned from you guys (especially you, GrayFoxPL). Thanks a lot! :)

Top Bottom