• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

AAK

Today I got to play an omni K-stick for about 2 hours today. I was capable of doing Julia's iSW max damage combo's in TR much more consistently with it along with BDCing feeling a lot easier on the hands. I definitely felt like the inputs were coming out with less force on the lever making b,b and f,f,f motions significantly easier. I'm now convinced K-stick > J-stick for Tekken. I don't think I'll switch just yet since I do see myself playing more and more of other games like VF, SC, & DOA (and maybe GG) where there really isn't much of an advantage to using K stick. (Maybe for games with airdashes like Skullgirls and BB?)

So OFDP is now confirmed for Toryuken 3 happening this weekend. Manny will u be available tomorrow? I'd like to squeeze some Marduk practice with you if possible :)

Manbig

Today I got to play an omni K-stick for about 2 hours today. I was capable of doing Julia's iSW max damage combo's in TR much more consistently with it along with BDCing feeling a lot easier on the hands. I definitely felt like the inputs were coming out with less force on the lever making b,b and f,f,f motions significantly easier. I'm now convinced K-stick > J-stick for Tekken. I don't think I'll switch just yet since I do see myself playing more and more of other games like VF, SC, & DOA (and maybe GG) where there really isn't much of an advantage to using K stick. (Maybe for games with airdashes like Skullgirls and BB?)

So OFDP is now confirmed for Toryuken 3 happening this weekend. Manny will u be available tomorrow? I'd like to squeeze some Marduk practice with you if possible :)

I can make time after I get back from class. I should be home by around 10 PM EST. I haven't played in a very long time though, so the rust will be strong with this one.

Also, if you can find a few recent OFDP matches for me to watch, I might be able to catch some habits for you.

Sayah

This sequence of images, lol.
BnfuEY6CAAAUnqi.jpg:large

That dude right there. He's stupid good on just about every team. Tag fillers, wall juice, wall splats, 50/50s, punishment, and all for such a small movelist. I rated him higher than AO as a partner for Yoshi because he exceeds in every area as AO AND is able to extend off low launchers like you said.

One of Yoshi's cool things is the string 3~4~U DGF 2~5, allowing the partner to do red damage off of any launcher. Being able to convert almost all of the initial damage to red bar AND do it easily is just bonkers to me. That means scoring an early sword sweep in the round leads to like 50% red life lost with that team. Other characters can follow up too, but the execution is way harder OR less damage.

The temptation to play Jinpachi/Yoshi is almost too much. I just don't want a character like Jinpachi carrying the team. I know it sounds like pure ego, but what's the point of playing a character like Yoshi/Lei/Xiaoyu etc when you have Captain Badass doing all the work.

Love this reaction, lol'd

Yeah, Jinpachi is too boss. haha

AAK

He uses Ling and Lei... online those characters are ridiculous. And his playstyle is 100% refined for online play... which in itself is a pretty impressive achievement LOL. But I can't say anything about his skill level since I don't think he travels.

And those customizations Sayah posted isn't that hard to do since all the female characters have an upper body chibi sprite available for a decal. All you have to do is enlarge them on the super hero upper body and WALA! :p but still, kudos to the guy for the idea haha.

I spent too much time on customization

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm in the mood to play Tekken tonight (and suck at it), so if you wanna play a few matches (through PSN), just hit me up (PSN is same as GAF name)

Manbig

Sorry AAK. I was on for a few minutes at 11:30, but I had stayed up the night earlier finishing up a final project for class, so I was in no shape to play.

AAK

Sorry AAK. I was on for a few minutes at 11:30, but I had stayed up the night earlier finishing up a final project for class, so I was in no shape to play.

It's cool man, I understand :)

I just saw the prereg list for Tekken, not only is OFDP coming but so is ZTS! I'm looking forward to it :)

sasuke_91

@AAK: I managed to do Hwoarang's JFSR combo from left stance in an Online fight yesterday and felt so proud. So far it seemed impossible for me :)
109 damage with Hwoarang + Jin. The best combo without walls I managed to do so far. I thought I should share this with a fellow Hwoarang-user^^

GrayFoxPL

Sorry Sasuke, couldn't play any more.

Btw. I played a dude who did amazing max damage juggles but he had nothing else. No movement, no frame traps, no aggressiveness, no oki. He literally based all of his game on launchers + juggle. I won all 3 rounds even when, unlike him, I dropped my combos left and right. Kinda proves that knowing the best combos perfectly will lead you nowhere if that's all you can do during fight.

sasuke_91

Sorry Sasuke, couldn't play any more.

Btw. I played a dude who did amazing max damage juggles but he had nothing else. No movement, no frame traps, no aggressiveness, no oki. He literally based all of his game on launchers + juggle. I won all 3 rounds even when, unlike him, I dropped my combos left and right. Kinda proves that knowing the best combos perfectly will lead you nowhere if that's all you can do during fight.
No problem.

I think I once mentioned that friend of mine who didn't really know any combos and still got to Berserker. He would be the complete opposite to this guy^^
People still think that Tekken is all about maxing out combo damage. If you know the combos => instant win. Flawless logic :D
So you've had your first whiff of the TKD crack ;)
Haha exactly^^

Manbig

I swear this game must be poison for my PS3. It just started freezing on me again while trying to play it. I just got the damn thing fixed 2 months ago!

Manbig

Maybe thw disc is fucked up.

Not that kind of freeze. The kind where the PS3 locks up, and doesn't turn back on. Just beeps and the red light flashes. Basically the YLOD.

The shop that looked at it last time asked me to bring it in along with my receipt, so I hope they can work some magic tomorrow.

sasuke_91

Thank you for your message, GrayFoxPL.
I tried a little with Hwoarang + Steve. When I do Hwoarang's cd df+4, 3+4 (switch stance), RFS b2, Steve's filler and follow up with Hwo ff+3, it deals 85 dmg.
When I launch my opponent with b3, I don't have enough time to switch stances and attack, so I have to go in with F2, RFS b2. The problem is that Steve's filler won't connect because two hits after launch seems to be too much, so I have to do the other filler. I have to get the timing right for his flicker stance so I can do his f3,1. I fuck this up every time^^

I think I'll try this with Kaz + Steve, maybe the combo suits better with those two.
Or I'll wait for you to show me next time :p

GrayFoxPL

Thank you for your message, GrayFoxPL.
I tried a little with Hwoarang + Steve. When I do Hwoarang's cd df+4, 3+4 (switch stance), RFS b2, Steve's filler and follow up with Hwo ff+3, it deals 85 dmg.
When I launch my opponent with b3, I don't have enough time to switch stances and attack, so I have to go in with F2, RFS b2. The problem is that Steve's filler won't connect because two hits after launch seems to be too much, so I have to the other filler. I have to get the timing right for his flicker stance so I can do his f3,2. I fuck this up every time^^

I think I'll try this with Kaz + Steve, maybe the combo suits better with those two.
Or I'll wait for you to show me next time :p

Try with stuns and maybe different finisher - maybe his air throw. I only get to finish with ff+2 with Kazuya and get 90+ (105 on counter hit). On two hits for bound (like kazuyas ewgf, df+1,2 B!) End Steve's peakaboo string with flicker f+3,1 if I wrote f+3,2 it's wrong. You don't have to do it super fast. As long as you hold back during b+1,1,2,1 Steve won't tag out then f+3,1 is easy. The thing with this combo it's easiest after 2 hits but also possible after three, but finisher not guaranteed as opponent flips. But other teams can have different possibilities.

Other easy fillers is b+1 B(flicker)1, B 3+4, 2 it actually does nice damage in juggles and connects after multiple hits prior Tag Assault.

Other similar easy filler is 2,1B(flicker) 1, B 3+4, 2 this also surprised me that it connects after multiple hits like Kaz's ch df+2, b+2,4, df+1,2.

These are good for online if you drop the df+1,2~1 B, 1, B 3+4, 2. I drop this way too often in some fights so the above are decent alternatives. Sometimes final damage is lower only for 2-4 points.

I also found these fillers same as above start but instead of 1, B 3+4, 2 it's: 1,d+1 the standard flicker hook combo. It's not as useful because the hook will whiff if the combo has many hits, but it juggles pretty high and can wall splat high for good follow ups. So if you're not too far not too close from wall this can be interesting as it recovers very fast, gets decent wall carry and time for second character to deal out something big.

From different stuff:

Somehow I stopped dragunov's qcf+2 with standing 1. Not even a trade. I was like: O_O "Didn't crush? I still live?"

Also the same Drag reversed my attack but the animation was nothing like stuff I seen before. I must test it out. Maybe it was crouching 2 reversal. It included spinning the opponent around Drag. First time I've seen it and this dude is since T5, lol.

sasuke_91

You wrote f3,1. It was just a typo^^
I have to try those fillers out, thanks.
By the way, I really have have to work on my wall carry. I actually try to avoid walls, because I'm not too good with them and drop most of my combos when I come near a wall :D

GrayFoxPL

You wrote f3,1. It was just a typo^^
I have to try those fillers out, thanks.
By the way, I really have have to work on my wall carry. I actually try to avoid walls, because I'm not too good with them and drop most of my combos when I come near a wall :D

Same here. I just don't know what to do most of the time. When I practice wall combos there are many things that come into play like in regular juggles. Number of hits pre bound, high wall splat, wall stun, re-splating by allowing opponent to fall a little after wall stun, angle combos, hitting grounded opponent at the wall etc.
During the fight I forget all that and I don't know if shit will hit or whiff in actual situation. It usually whiffs ;P. Edit: Btw Paul has some broken ass wall shit with df+1 b sway d+1,4,2 this seems to hit no matter what when and where and here I have problems doing anything semi decent with kaz and steve at the wall. ;P.

But the absolutely worst thing I'm at is low parry and combo after that. I actually hate it after it became instant bound. Before that it was so that opponent tripped a little and you had frame advantage(I think Ling has that still as command parry), I liked that, it clicked with me, I knew what to go for afterward. It felt natural and logical. Ever since it became a bound, my brain just turns off every time it's happening. It's funny, I just don't react.
Every time low parry bound happens my brain just goes: "WTF is this?! This is all wrong! I won't do shit!"
I actually avoid parry because of this. Sudden bound from ass just doesn't compute with me, lol.

I know I should stop fucking around and practice this as much as possible but...
i6R7V1iOzxHEw.gif

Lol.

sasuke_91

But the absolutely worst thing I'm at is low parry and combo after that. I actually hate it after it became instant bound. Before that it was so that opponent tripped a little and you had frame advantage(I think Ling has that still as command parry), I liked that, it clicked with me, I knew what to go for afterward. It felt natural and logical. Ever since it became a bound, my brain just turns off every time it's happening. It's funny, I just don't react.
Every time low parry bound happens my brain just goes: "WTF is this?! This is all wrong! I won't do shit!"
I actually avoid parry because of this. Sudden bound from ass just doesn't compute with me, lol.

I know I should stop fucking around and practice this as much as possible but...
i6R7V1iOzxHEw.gif

Lol.
Haha, same for me. I only know one low parry combo with Lee because boutdown showed me. I have to work on my defence first. Low parry comes after that :p
I had a really bad day yesterday. I almost lost against a guy who used Law and spammed db4 way too much. I still can't handle that kind of spammers. I thought of going back to ranked because of this. There a lot of spammers in my ranks, so maybe I'll be able to handle them someday^^

GrayFoxPL

Just happened to pick Jinpachi as my CPU opponent and discovered something interesting.......Made a video to show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxllcv4Lnk&feature=youtu.be

Cannot believe that this game has been out for almost two years and I'm just learning of this.

Yeah I think they made it on purpose that you can get many additional combos on Jinpachi that would otherwise whiff, because of his tier(maybe). I got df+3,2,1 with Kaz after multiple hits and bound that would whiff 100% on anyone else.

Yeah I think they made it on purpose that you can get many additional combos on Jinpachi that would otherwise whiff, because of his tier(maybe). I got df+3,2,1 with Kaz after multiple hits and bound that would whiff 100% on anyone else.

I think it really just a hitbox thing, but that makes you wonder why it doesn't work on someone like Ogre. Good find though Sayah.

Marduk, Jinpachi and Kuni all suffer from Big Butt disease.

Ok, more like big leg disease, but you know what I mean.

I was pretty amazed when I saw that Yoshi combo vs Kuni in the latest TMD combo video. Apparently it only works on Kuni since her leg hurtbox is even bigger than Marduk's.

Oh, Tekken.

shut-up-exasperated-archie-o.gif

GrayFoxPL

I was pretty amazed when I saw that Yoshi combo vs Kuni in the latest TMD combo video. Apparently it only works on Kuni since her leg hurtbox is even bigger than Marduk's.

Oh, Tekken.

Interesting, so the leg hitbox is important not the general body size.

AAK

Just happened to pick Jinpachi as my CPU opponent and discovered something interesting.......Made a video to show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxllcv4Lnk&feature=youtu.be

Cannot believe that this game has been out for almost two years and I'm just learning of this. I'm gonna feel dumb if this is already common knowledge.

Don't worry I just found out about this a couple weeks ago to when practicing for Toryuken when doing my staple Julia tag assault wall fillers haha. And then I found out the same thing happens to Jinpachi and Kuni just now from Cosmic's post:

Oh, Tekken.

Speaking of "Oh Tekken".... I came back from Toryuken 3 last night. I placed higher in Dead or Alive 5 than in TTT2 despite putting in 100x time more practice in TTT2. There was my "Oh Tekken" moment LOL.

Shoutouts to VF fundamentals!

I know this a double post, but I would like to announce that I am now on TEAM ORANGE (Ranked).

Dang, Tera vanquishing some fools on the internet! Congrats brother ;)

GrayFoxPL

Arrgghhh those turtles!

I swear I lost to this guy 2 times same way, he was blocking every fucking shit and prolonged fight to the last seconds every round. It felt like I'm playing match for a week and a half. I didn't want to throw him 30 times cos it's lame but fuuuck this kind of match is so annoying: "Push the damn buttons!"

Made me think if there should be something like guard break (like eg Street Fighter Alpha)so people can't turtle until time out.

Speaking of "Oh Tekken".... I came back from Toryuken 3 last night. I placed higher in Dead or Alive 5 than in TTT2 despite putting in 100x time more practice in TTT2. There was my "Oh Tekken" moment LOL.
Arrgghhh those turtles!
These are reasons why I have such a love/hate relationship with this game. It's such a beautiful game overall, but there are some "WTF moments" that make me question ... Everything. As for AAK's results, I think that's a good example of why 3/5 rounds is a good format despite all the "Tekken takes too long" comments. You need more time to read the opp in this game due to the huge roster and movelists.

Between the "WTF just happened"(usually wall related) and players that engage in what I call Desperation Turtling, it can ruin the experience. Turtling may be a legit tactic, but it doesn't win you any respect IMO.

Mad props to those who maintain the struggle in ranked though. Y'all must have some Zen Master-like patience.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I know some of you are planning on playing Ultra. If you are, tell me what systems and gamertags. I'll be making the OT for it.

AAK

These are reasons why I have such a love/hate relationship with this game. It's such a beautiful game overall, but there are some "WTF moments" that make me question ... Everything. As for AAK's results, I think that's a good example of why 3/5 rounds is a good format despite all the "Tekken takes too long" comments. You need more time to read the opp in this game due to the huge roster and movelists.

Between the "WTF just happened"(usually wall related) and players that engage in what I call Desperation Turtling, it can ruin the experience. Turtling may be a legit tactic, but it doesn't win you any respect IMO.

Mad props to those who maintain the struggle in ranked though. Y'all must have some Zen Master-like patience.

The entire tournament was 3/5 actually... but it was all so frustrating. The first guy I lost to I would beat him the first 2 rounds of every game before he came back. Those comebacks he made were legit so I was cool with that. The guy who put me out the tournament in losers though.... Ugh I read his flowchart and I knew I could have easily beaten him, but it's the Tekken system where your sidesteps and the blocking after the sidesteps have to come out very precisely or else you'll eat the attack. My composure wasn't good enough in Tekken to execute those properly and I lost. I played both of those guys again after the tournament in casuals and won 70-80% of the matches.

In DOA5 if you have the right read it's the easiest game to counter your opponent haha.

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday Manny! Hope you had a stellar day ;)

DEATH™

Finally done with semester! Now gotta go back to playing full force!

@AAK YES. (BTW you got 2 sticks right? You can just mod your stick or buy a new panel. Seriously, Tekken movement is way easier with K Stick)

@Doomshine

tumblr_n5kobxG1wB1re9fe1o8_1280.png

Look closely...

forestlaw04.png

@manny belated man!

@all gotta play later after the month after I get my custom panel. My crown stick got bad so I went in and bought a myounshin. Galen taught me how to change the mount but now I wanted to keep it and just buy a new one lol.

Now I gotta focus on character knowledge, throwbreaking and making new art for my stick lol.

@grayfox I really feel now that you guys will hate playing against me lol...

AAK

OH no I don't have a K stick, I was trying it from a friend. I think I might get a Kstick for PS4 whenever Tekken launches for it.

The link to send Flying Wonkey to Strongstyle is up!

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2014/5/14/help-send-flying-wonkey-to-strongstyle.html

Just click on the donate button from the page above and it'll take you straight to the paypal transaction page. Thanks again for everything you do Wonkey!

Hope this drive succeeds :)

Late response and all but thanks man! I don't suppose your going to SS yourself are you? I want my offline runback dammit! (If not, I guess I'd have to settle with a less fraudulent online connection from California to Canada ft5 haha)

--

Oh and random useful video I found on a Japanese tekken message board, helps if you hate the move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGuRqEO-jBo

fatalexe

My semester break is finally here and I'm starting to play Tekken again. man, the transition of Pad->Stick is harder than I thought. I still cannot do BDC and Wavedash after weeks of practice..

Lost to everyone I met on ranked (yes I know ranked is bad).. spamming the same strings and hopkicks yet I can't beat them while I know I can beat them if I were using a pad instead.

It's gonna be rough. I still enjoy this game but so much dedication needs to be put in. Just movement alone is so difficult to learn.

Top Bottom