• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Sayah

Tekken is the reason I bought PS1, PS2, PS3, and eventually the PS4.
Super Smash Bros. is the reason I bought N64, GC, Wii, and soon the Wii U.

There.

AAK

I'm actually super surprised as well that Famicom's first intro to the Tekken series was from 6 to TTT2. Most impressive man.

Also boutdown bro... Duck the second hit of Hwoarang's d/f+4,3. I kept spamming it hoping you'd pick up on that property haha. It's free damage everytime that happens lol.

Sayah

Wow, that Aris vs. Saint match from StrongStyle on ATP Live. So goooooood.

And Bronson with those crazy statistics. That dedication. A lot of hard work to get that detailed data together.

So TTT2 is really your first Tekken game. Wonder why you didn't pick up Tekken earlier.

Being a lifelong Nintendo fanboy (hence the username!) has some drawbacks. Like not having any exposure to Tekken. PS3 was my first Sony console, and my interest in getting better at fighting games didn't really spark until 2011. I did play the crap out of Soul Calibur II though since it was one of the few respected fighting games that made it to a Nintendo console.

DEATH™

I was there and I'm totally surprised that
Saint easily get caught by a rolling death cradle

It was obvious though that King was Aris' weaker char by then. It was dragunov that carried him through...

God damn, that Asuka reversal looked bad enough in full speed but it looks fucking terrible in slow motion.

T4 was the first Tekken game I ever played at like 8 years old so I never payed attention to its supposed shortcomings. It made me fall in love with Tekken so I guess it did something right. :p

On that note, in what order did you guys play the Tekken games? I went from T4 -> Tekken Advance -> T5DR PSP -> T5 -> T4 again -> TTT1 -> T5DR PS3 -> T6 then TTT2.

for me it was:

Tekken 2 > Tekken 3 > Tekken 1 > Tekken Tag > Tekken Advance > Tekken 4 > Tekken 5.0 > Tekken 6BR 360 > Tekken 5 DR PS3 > Tekken Tag 2 360 > Tekken Rev

Sayah

DEATH™;134703721 said:
I was there and I'm totally surprised that
Saint easily get caught by a rolling death cradle

It was obvious though that King was Aris' weaker char by then. It was dragunov that carried him through...

I'm wondering why Aris switched from Wang to King. In any case, I wished Aris had picked up Nina. Dragunov/Nina team = real AMAZING synergy. So many tag bufferable launchers. So many good combos.

Being a lifelong Nintendo fanboy (hence the username!) has some drawbacks. Like not having any exposure to Tekken. PS3 was my first Sony console, and my interest in getting better at fighting games didn't really spark until 2011. I did play the crap out of Soul Calibur II though since it was one of the few respected fighting games that made it to a Nintendo console.

I'm a big Nintendo fan myself but I absolutely need both Sony and Nintendo in my life. Gaming feels incomplete otherwise.

Also, SCII was the most fun I had on GameCube after Melee. Game was so amazing....and still is.

Manbig

Really fun episode of ATP live tonight that everyone should check out. The team behind Strong Style is doing some amazing stuff to try to get people to watch it. I've never been hype to watch a Tekken Tournament since the DR days, but I'm very much looking forward to this one.

AAK

By far the most insane thing is how Bronson and Steven together spent $11,000 from their pocket to make Strongstyle happen and any money they get they gave it away to charity.

That's one of the most selfless things I've ever seen anyone do and it deserves a lot more recognition.

Sayah

Really fun episode of ATP live tonight that everyone should check out. The team behind Strong Style is doing some amazing stuff to try to get people to watch it. I've never been hype to watch a Tekken Tournament since the DR days, but I'm very much looking forward to this one.

I don't even spectate and I'm looking forward to this very much.

By far the most insane thing is how Bronson and Steven together spent $11,000 from their pocket to make Strongstyle happen and any money they get they gave it away to charity.

That's one of the most selfless things I've ever seen anyone do and it deserves a lot more recognition.

Yes, I agree.

He said there will be donate button when the StrongStyle vids are up but the money will go to charity and not him. Unless I misinterpreted.

I want to send money his way directly and help out.

$11,000 is a big sum to be losing out on. At the very least, Harada and Murray were there and recognized the work he and his team did. Namco, hire him.

Yeah I'm really hype for it as well.

Loved Bronson's bitch callings too lol.

That Aris v Saint match got me jonesing for Tekken again but I shant go back until Final Round 18.

av2k

T1: I remember playing it when I was a kid but it felt very clunky and wasn't smooth as SF or MK games at the time.
T2: Still didn't care for it, thought the character designs still looked kind of fruity
T3: Bought but didn't play it that much, too hard to grasp for me and I was getting annoyed that I was losing to Eddy all the time so I shelved it for Soul Calibur. Once I started ttt, I came back to T3 and found it to be an amazing game when everything just "clicked". Started with law and doing his b+1,2,1 into junkyard combos made me a huge addict.
TTT: After playing a ton of soul calibur, I enjoyed namco like games like time crisis but decided to make the jump into TTT when everyone at the arcades was playing it. Boy did I suck. However, consistently going to the arcades every weekend got me better and better. I then connected to the Tekken community through ElectricCancel.com and TekkenZaibatsu.com. That's when I first met Crow who always wore a leather jacket when it was still scorching hot out. We then started traveling and competing in tournaments. TTT has a special place in my heart. Several years later at a Trashday tournament, I faced JOP and won... To this day, I still secretly think that he let me win on purpose.
T4: meh, played it, didn't really care for it. I won a few tournaments with this game but the only highlight for me is being able to perform Hwoarang's Arena stage infinite on a consistent basis.
T5: gone majority of this game and DR due to moving out of state for college. Won several tournaments on the east coast in Boston so that was cool.
T6: I came back when Dr was winding down and won my first major tournament (which was the first Tekken 6 tournament in America) vs Kor/Crow/Vick which got me printed in Arcadia Magazine and other publications. I also had to face Mr.Naps as well and won. Kor and I would practice a ton but only he would actually travel out of state to compete while I was kind of home bound.
TTT2: fun game but... by this time, Tekken felt a bit stale to me. I was able to best a lot of great players in tournaments that I was finally able to travel to such as Kodee (mlg), Kor (San Antonio tournament), Crow (Tekken Arena), Aris (MLG), and Help Me (Dallas). I retired after I beat help me only to come back to EVO to play some casual TTT2 without any practice.. did surprisingly well. However, I retired again to play PC games and real life responsibilities and posting on NeoGAF. :3

GrayFoxPL

My good old first gen PS3 might be dying.

On Tag2 every time notification pops up about "friends" game slows down. Online and offline. Very noticeable even when screwing around in customization mode

I made Hobo Marshall Law and Drunk Pirate Miguel team. Hitting dude with a wok online is the best feeling ever, lol.

AAK

Wow... did not know Miguel was so popular. But I'm also very surprised at how low Capo's are considering how good they are.

Yo, the last episode of Diggin in the Carts talks about the music in Tekken series. Check it out :)

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/diggin-in-the-carts

I finally got a chance to watch this. They spent way too much time sampling Tekken Revolution Music and only did a couple seconds of T3 and T2 tracks. None of the tracks showcased are even in my top 30 Tekken tracks. Lack of Moonlit Wilderness is a travesty!! But still, was cool to watch. :)

AAK

Subt-L just posted the presentation of the statistics they'll release for the strongstyle package:

B0J5s-vIIAA6gRw.png:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0J5s-vIIAA6gRw.png:large

GrayFoxPL

So I was just looking over the character usage data from Green Arcade, and it had me thinking that maybe the roster cuts for T7 won't be so bad after all? If they kept that top 30, perhaps swapping 3-4 names out for some of the remaining 14, then add 5-6 new characters, it doesn't look all that bad really.

Holy shit, Lee is so far away, just before Baek. Thought he was popular. Better not fucking joke around, he must be in T7.

Haha, Jun at third place from the end. Memories come back. Remember how people bothered Harada to bring back Jun? He said like "No, we checked arcade data and she's least played character." They bugged him even more. Jun is in Tag2.

Nobody plays her.

Hahah.

Ok that's just arcade, but still.
And Yoshi so low? Too Japanese?

I just watched the whole ATP LIVE 65.
Awesome. That match with Saint."Shut the fuck up Bronson!" We love Aris for his personality, but he is fucking good at Tekken. And let me tell you he's gonna be even better at Seven. I'm talking The Champ here.

Man, I'd love to see the whole thing with Speedkicks and Princess Ling.

Shit, at the end this appeal to shut the fuck up bring new players in. Wow.

Makes me want to invade every Starcraft board and bring those fuckers in here!

But really how do you bring new players in without it turning into troll fight?

My only idea is to appeal to fans of martial arts in general.

"Hey you like Teakwondo? Check out this badass Hwoarang in Tekken 7?"

"You do Kyokushin? Look at this motherfucking Jin!"

"You watch boxing? Steve - the best boxer this side of fighting games."

My other idea is death threats.

AAK

My only idea is to appeal to fans of martial arts in general.

"Hey you like Teakwondo? Check out this badass Hwoarang in Tekken 7?"

"You do Kyokushin? Look at this motherfucking Jin!"

"You watch boxing? Steve - the best boxer this side of fighting games."

That is exactly what got me into Tekken... but I suppose it was also the fact that Tekken just looked better than every other game on the PS1 at the time. No other game was animating their characters as beautiful as Tekken was in a 3D space. There was this incredible wow factor with every Tekken that would get released. Currently, it's super hard to get that kind of reaction again from the masses because of how much harder it will be to wow people with Tekken's presentation again.

Although those shitty customization items aren't doing it any favors. There is nothing cool looking about Asuka walking around with this 6 foot giant mallet glued to her back that constantly clips the wall and floor everytime she's knocked down or Feng wearing this cool Kung Fu getup but for some reason has these plastic Leonardo Da Vinci wings glued to his back oscillating the entire match ALSO clipping everything it touches. (sigh) It's only just gonna make newer players think Tekken looks stupid and not cool like it did for T4, T3, T2, etc.

1,500 posts away from OT2?

Dang that's pretty cool! TekkenGAF rising up the GAF ranks.

GrayFoxPL

In terms of customizations Japanese and Korean players go for the most retarded look. I'm sorry.

Customizations were the best in T5/DR because every item was specific to the character.
There were funny items but also fit character and his story. Eg. Heihachi had dirty face and messy blown hair from the explosion in the intro.

They should go back to this system. If they do this I'm all in.

i2OPPAWzxUQRi.jpg

Fewer items but tailored to the character. Expensive!

No more shitty quality universal items.

AAK

T6 had it as well (except for the hair) where everything was still unique and the shitty items were kept to an overall minimum. T6's was an improvement overall compared to T5 TBH... but you are right where T6 still had the potential to be stupidly obnoxious.

I'm good with customization as long as it improves the art design... not the crap that T7 has shown thus far.

sasuke_91

Man, I'd love to see the whole thing with Speedkicks and Princess Ling.

Haha, me too. Princess Ling eats souls, never forget.
But seriously, I thought those Ling/Lei shenanigans wouldn't work offline^^

1,500 posts away from OT2?

Doesn't sound too hard :p

In terms of customizations Japanese and Korean players go for the most retarded look. I'm sorry.

Customizations were the best in T5/DR because every item was specific to the character.
There were funny items but also fit character and his story. Eg. Heihachi had dirty face and messy blown hair from the explosion in the intro.

I agree. Help Me's costumes made me cringe... very hard.
T5 costumes were great. Those special costumes for every character definitely were "special". Does anyone remember the Panda costume for Xiaoyu?^^

Good games Doomshine. Bosco/Marduk giving me a hard time^^
I noticed that my Steve is being stupid lately. He's just a burden for Hwoarang.

AAK

I can forgive TTT2's putrid customization system just because they were basing everything off the T6 hardware limitations and to shoehorn 4 characters simultaneously on the screen some concessions had to be made... customizations being one of the largest cuts.

BUT I would have expected Namco to know and acknowledge how crappy those customs looked considering how much better T6 and VF5FS do it which DON'T have the 4 characters on screen at once excuse... And yet they bring them back in a 1v1 NUMBERED sequel... at the very least recycle T6's customs rather than TTT2... (sigh).

Sorry don't know why I'm getting so worked up about it LOL. That's enough of me ranting about it.

sasuke_91

Sorry don't know why I'm getting so worked up about it LOL. That's enough of me ranting about it.

Nah, I totally agree with you. Costumes are a very important part of fighting games. I don't want a Tekken game where every character looks the same as in the last game.

Sayah

@GrayFox: I wouldn't worry very much about that Green Arcade character usage. It has Ling at 39 and Yoshimitsu at 40 and we both know those two characters will most definitely be in Tekken 7. Also, Anna at 41. :(

Anyway, Jun is used a lot in North America. All I see online is Jun players. Guess it's different in Asia.

Subt-L just posted the presentation of the statistics they'll release for the strongstyle package:

B0J5s-vIIAA6gRw.png:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0J5s-vIIAA6gRw.png:large

THIS IS SO AWESOME.

But I can only imagine how time consuming this must be for gathering data. This is just one set of matches. I can't even conceive how long it would take to do this for every set.

T1: I remember playing it when I was a kid but it felt very clunky and wasn't smooth as SF or MK games at the time.
T2: Still didn't care for it, thought the character designs still looked kind of fruity
T3: Bought but didn't play it that much, too hard to grasp for me and I was getting annoyed that I was losing to Eddy all the time so I shelved it for Soul Calibur. Once I started ttt, I came back to T3 and found it to be an amazing game when everything just "clicked". Started with law and doing his b+1,2,1 into junkyard combos made me a huge addict.
TTT: After playing a ton of soul calibur, I enjoyed namco like games like time crisis but decided to make the jump into TTT when everyone at the arcades was playing it. Boy did I suck. However, consistently going to the arcades every weekend got me better and better. I then connected to the Tekken community through ElectricCancel.com and TekkenZaibatsu.com. That's when I first met Crow who always wore a leather jacket when it was still scorching hot out. We then started traveling and competing in tournaments. TTT has a special place in my heart. Several years later at a Trashday tournament, I faced JOP and won... To this day, I still secretly think that he let me win on purpose.
T4: meh, played it, didn't really care for it. I won a few tournaments with this game but the only highlight for me is being able to perform Hwoarang's Arena stage infinite on a consistent basis.
T5: gone majority of this game and DR due to moving out of state for college. Won several tournaments on the east coast in Boston so that was cool.
T6: I came back when Dr was winding down and won my first major tournament (which was the first Tekken 6 tournament in America) vs Kor/Crow/Vick which got me printed in Arcadia Magazine and other publications. I also had to face Mr.Naps as well and won. Kor and I would practice a ton but only he would actually travel out of state to compete while I was kind of home bound.
TTT2: fun game but... by this time, Tekken felt a bit stale to me. I was able to best a lot of great players in tournaments that I was finally able to travel to such as Kodee (mlg), Kor (San Antonio tournament), Crow (Tekken Arena), Aris (MLG), and Help Me (Dallas). I retired after I beat help me only to come back to EVO to play some casual TTT2 without any practice.. did surprisingly well. However, I retired again to play PC games and real life responsibilities and posting on NeoGAF. :3

This was a really great read. Thanks for sharing.

So I was just looking over the character usage data from Green Arcade, and it had me thinking that maybe the roster cuts for T7 won't be so bad after all? If they kept that top 30, perhaps swapping 3-4 names out for some of the remaining 14, then add 5-6 new characters, it doesn't look all that bad really.

I don't think Harada and team will be looking at Arcade stats to gauge character popularity. Those guys'll be more likely to use characters that will help them win.

For example, Ganryu is 24th and Asuka is only 27th. Everyone loves Yoshi and Ling, but they're sitting at the bottom because they're low tier.

i2OPPAWzxUQRi.jpg

Fewer items but tailored to the character. Expensive!

No more shitty quality universal items.

yeah, this was way better imo

Degen

I don't think anybody would disagree that expanding on T5's character-exclusive customization style would be cooler

It's just easier for the developers to reuse assets

To be fair, even though characters had some similar options in T6 (and everybody copied each other in TTT2), there were still a ton of possibilities in total

The "pros" just reject it all anyway, so that's probably a little demotivating too

Degen

by "pros" I'm referring to anybody who pretends to be too serious to either use custom items, or to even want to see items while playing

...which is probably still a small percentage, granted

but I've seen complaints on Harada's Twitter about seeing other people's customizations at all

Obviously that'll never be the decision maker but it might be noticeable, if only a little bit, when some players express the opinion that customizing has gone too far already

Maybe not

*shrug*

Well.......

Tekken 1: Played it in an arcade with a friend of mine. I was a Virtua Fighter fan and I was blown away by the uncanny detail in the graphics and moves. When I found out that it was coming exclusive to Playstation, I had to have it ASAP. I remember playing it at home on a 60 inch big screen TV and loving it even more.

Tekken 2: Played the mess out of this game at home and the arcade. I used to compete with friends after work coincidentally on another 60 inch big screen again at the job and always won. I worked with these guys and they always talked trash about who the best Tekken player was. I mained Michelle at the time. I was not sure if I liked the blockier looking characters better than Tekken 1, but it was definitely a better game.

Tekken 3: Played the arcade version and was really impressed with the three dimensional movement and upgraded graphics. I obviously wasn't as spectacular looking as VF3 at the time, but it was still quite nice. That is when I started Julia and Nina, but only casually. Competed in an actual tournament and won some money with Nina. Felt good at the time.

Tekken Tag: One of the launch games I bought for PS2. Loved it. I thought the game looked amazing and improved significantly over Tekken 3. I was finally becoming competent at juggling, so I thought. Too bad I didn't know about tag combos and embarrassingly, I found out later that I was playing the game wrong.

Tekken 4: Played it in the arcade, but not as much because arcades were dying at the time. Bought Tekken 4 at home and I never really got good at it because of lack of people top play with. I did like some of the aesthetic changes in Tekken , but I never care of the wall push technique which I never properly understood. Tekkie 4 was memorable for me because it was the first time I saw HD with component cables on my new HDTV. Looked glorious.

Tekken 5: Played a little in the arcade and started using a little Nina more. Bought it at home and loved it again. Unfortunately, I did;t really play against humans, so I couldn't really experiment too often. Still had fun though.

Tekken 5: DR Online: Same as Tekken 5, but now with online play. 1080P was beautiful and I thought it looked mesmerizing. Playing online was worth the price of admission.

Tekken 6: Never got to play this in the arcade for the obvious reasons. The wait for this to come home was unadulterated torture and I preordered the game from Gamestop. Went to the midnight launch and met a few friends online after awhile and liked Tekken 6 even more than Tekken 5. I didn't get serious about Tekken until 2011 unfortunately and started to try out Anna.

Tekken Tag 2: Reserved it at Gamestop again, acquired it at midnight and immediately rushed home. I tried to get even more serious about Tekken, but never got to the level I wanted probably due to responsibilities, buying so many games and other reasons I probably shouldn't admit to, so retired after awhile. I didn't even know about movement, BDC and fighting game terminology until 2013 lol. I also met a lot of friends online with TTT2. My fiends keep asking me to come back though, so I guess you never truly retire.

Sayah

Well.......

Tekken 1: Played it in an arcade with a friend of mine. I was a Virtua Fighter fan and I was blown away by the uncanny detail in the graphics and moves. When I found out that it was coming exclusive to Playstation, I had to have it ASAP. I remember playing it at home on a 60 inch big screen TV and loving it even more.

Tekken 2: Played the mess out of this game at home and the arcade. I used to compete with friends after work coincidentally on another 60 inch big screen again at the job and always won. I worked with these guys and they always talked trash about who the best Tekken player was. I mained Michelle at the time. I was not sure if I liked the blockier looking characters better than Tekken 1, but it was definitely a better game.

Tekken 3: Played the arcade version and was really impressed with the three dimensional movement and upgraded graphics. I obviously wasn't as spectacular looking as VF3 at the time, but it was still quite nice. That is when I started Julia and Nina, but only casually. Competed in an actual tournament and won some money with Nina. Felt good at the time.

Tekken Tag: One of the launch games I bought for PS2. Loved it. I thought the game looked amazing and improved significantly over Tekken 3. I was finally becoming competent at juggling, so I thought. Too bad I didn't know about tag combos and embarrassingly, I found out later that I was playing the game wrong.

Tekken 4: Played it in the arcade, but not as much because arcades were dying at the time. Bought Tekken 4 at home and I never really got good at it because of lack of people top play with. I did like some of the aesthetic changes in Tekken , but I never care of the wall push technique which I never properly understood. Tekkie 4 was memorable for me because it was the first time I saw HD with component cables on my new HDTV. Looked glorious.

Tekken 5: Played a little in the arcade and started using a little Nina more. Bought it at home and loved it again. Unfortunately, I did;t really play against humans, so I couldn't really experiment too often. Still had fun though.

Tekken 5: DR Online: Same as Tekken 5, but now with online play. 1080P was beautiful and I thought it looked mesmerizing. Playing online was worth the price of admission.

Tekken 6: Never got to play this in the arcade for the obvious reasons. The wait for this to come home was unadulterated torture and I preordered the game from Gamestop. Went to the midnight launch and met a few friends online after awhile and liked Tekken 6 even more than Tekken 5. I didn't get serious about Tekken until 2011 unfortunately and started to try out Anna.

Tekken Tag 2: Reserved it at Gamestop again, acquired it at midnight and immediately rushed home. I tried to get even more serious about Tekken, but never got to the level I wanted probably due to responsibilities, buying so many games and other reasons I probably shouldn't admit to, so retired after awhile. I didn't even know about movement, BDC and fighting game terminology until 2013 lol. I also met a lot of friends online with TTT2. My fiends keep asking me to come back though, so I guess you never truly retire.

Another nice read. Thanks. :)

It seems with each new Tekken, you had less and less time to actually play. That busy life. :p

It's cool. Life comes first anyway.

Another nice read. Thanks. :)

It seems with each new Tekken, you had less and less time to actually play. That busy life. :p

It's cool. Life comes first anyway.

Yeah, unfortunately I noticed that pattern. Hopefully, that will not be the case for Tekken 7. I want to properly learn it. Seems like my game time is becoming more and more limited, especially within the last few years. I will "hopefully" always make time for gaming because I really enjoy it and it helps me escape. It has always been a part of my life. I have always been infatuated with martial arts, action, combat and fighting games, so that probably explains why I own so many fighters that also take time away from Tekken. Honestly, I should only concentrate on 1 or even 2 fighters at a time instead of trying to learn 4-6 fighters simultaneously. Seems like I will never learn my lesson though.

Top Bottom